This week, the Starfinder Society team previews upcoming plans for the campaign. Given that we’re getting well underway with our second season of play, it’s time to talk about something that’s been on everyone’s mind: what’s happening with our First Seeker?
Since the beginning of the Year of Scoured Stars, Luwazi Elsebo has led the Society, tirelessly working to maintain the organization. With the climactic conclusion of the Scoured Stars storyline in Starfinder Society #2-00: Fate of the Scoured God, Luwazi declared her intentions on stepping down from leadership. Having accomplished the mission of keeping the Society together and stopping the threat from the Scoured Stars, she completed her First Seeker mandate. Recognizing the need for a proper transition of leadership, Luwazi will oversee the election to get a new First Seeker, then retire.
This is where all of you come in.
Arriving at the end of September, Starfinder Society #2-07: Four for the First, is a new scenario that’s set to introduce us to the four candidates vying for First Seeker. These candidates aren’t just random NPCs, but are characters who have been selected from among members of our campaign—we told you that Second Seekers boon would be important! This scenario sets the stage for allowing our campaign members to vote on their desired choice for the Society’s future leader. Since Four for the First is so important, we wanted to make sure we got the word out well in advance, so everyone has time to prepare. Now, let’s go over some of the key dates.
- September 20th - we’ll be doing our normal scenario preview blogs that highlights Four for the First and the other monthly release. This blog will include a non-active link to a survey page.
- September 25th - Starfinder Society #2-07: Four for the First releases to the public. At the same time, the associated survey page goes live. Players from across the world can vote on their preferred candidate, helping shape the future of the Starfinder Society campaign!
- November 19th at 11:59 PST - the survey closes. This gives our community two full months to play Starfinder Society #2-07: Four for the First and vote for one of the First Seeker candidates.
- Sometime in early 2020, we’ll reveal the results of the vote, which will help to shape the direction of Starfinder Society’s third year of play, scheduled for launch at Origins Game Faire June 17th 2020.
Exciting times ahead!
Just as we’ve revealed some information now to make organizers lives much easier, the team would also like to take an opportunity to discuss some key points about Four for the First.
- This scenario is structured much like a quest pack, where the PCs get to perform a mission of importance to each of the First Seeker candidates.
- Since so much of this scenario involves the PCs getting to know specific candidates and the types of missions to expect from them, this scenario somewhat eases the restrictions on run time. If you want to play this scenario over two sessions to make sure none of the interactions feel rushed, please do so.
- Because we want players to get to know the candidates, and understand that may take multiple play-throughs, Four for the First will be a repeatable scenario.
- Though players may experience the scenario multiple times, only one vote per player counts.
Ok, so that’s a lot of information, but we really wanted to get it out there as soon as possible. We look forward to the upcoming release of Four for the First because it’s really going to take the living aspect of the Starfinder Society to the next level.
Until next time,
Starfinder Society Developer
Enter The New Seeker
Wednesday, September 25, 2019
Earlier today, we previewed one of our scenarios releasing today. Now it is time to present Starfinder Society #2-07: Four for the First. This scenario represents a major step for the Organized Play Campaign, as we introduce players to the four potential new leaders of the Starfinder Society!
Four for the First acts in many ways like a quest pack-style scenario as the core revolves around thefour candidates seeking the mantle of First Seeker. The PCs partake in four distinct quests, each pertaining to an area of interest to one of the four candidates. That is where the similarity to standard scenarios ends. Unlike most scenarios, we highly encourage groups to book as much time as needed to complete this adventure, even if that requires booking this over multiple game sessions—we really want to make sure each of our candidates has a time to shine!
Speaking of our candidates, let’s get a quick preview of each potential First Seeker.
- Calder Soren is morlamaw (detailed in Alien Archive 3) who’s risen within the Society and has a desire to see the establishment and recovery of lodges out in Near Space and the Vast.
- Avor Stelek is a red-skinned Akitonian (also known as a hylki) who’s both a doctor and a swordsman. He looks to recruit new agents and to protect those new recruits.
- Tara Nova is a vidcaster who wants to bring the Society to new levels of fame. She doesn’t believe that old foes have suffered enough for their past transgressions and looks to ensure other organizations don’t interfere with the Society.
- Ehu Hadif Ko'Ra Amares of Clan Tolar is a kasatha who believes that the Society still has much to learn from the past. Ehu wants the Society to investigate past mysteries, and his goals are set to take the Starfinder Society back to the library world of Athaeum.
Now the logistics: Voting opens Wednesday, September 25th, 2019, at 4 pm Pacific time, and closes November 20th, 2019, at noon Pacific time. We hope leaving a wide window between scenario launch and the end of voting offers our players opportunity to interact with all candidates before voting. Each player may experience the scenario multiple times (replayable, right?!?), just with different characters, and we encourage multiple playthroughs. Getting to know the candidates is important, as each player may only vote once no matter how many times their characters play the adventure, so be sure to get all the replays in before placing your vote.
For players who don’t play the scenario during the voting window, no problem! The scenario remains playable (and repeatable) after November 20th, players just don’t get the opportunity to vote for the new First Seeker.
We chose Survey Monkey as our platform. Once you’ve played the scenario, return here and click here to vote! We will also post links to the voting on Facebook and Twitter so that more people can find the survey, as well as post some reminders during the voting period. We would also appreciate any procedural feedback as comments on this thread, to help us refine our processes should we do something similar in the future.
Next week, join us for the October installment of our regular feature - Stars, Cons, Spotlights!
Looking forward to the all votes,
Starfinder Society Developer
Organized Play Manager