Organized Play at Gen Con Online 2020

Thursday, June 25, 2020

While Gen Con won’t be happening in Indianapolis this year, Gen Con Online promises to be just as jam-packed with Organized Play events! We’ve got nearly 1,000 game sessions scheduled, so let’s take a look at some of the new scenarios we’ll be premiering.

Gen Con badges can be obtained for free via the Gen Con website. For events, Gen Con set a base price of $2 per event, plus tax, and pledged donation of a portion of each ticket to I Need Diverse Games. Paizo isn’t add any additional costs, so the block length events will cost $2.00. PACS events, being half a block in length, will be $1.00. Quests/Bounties, as 1 hour taster events, will be free. The event catalog goes live on July 6 and ticket sales begin on July 13 and run through the event.

Though ticketed through Gen Con, all our games will take place on VTTs. The Paizo Organized Play Online Events (POPOE) server, which we have used successfully for PaizoCon Online and ConCurrent, will be our gathering place for muster, chat, and You can use this link to join the POPOE discord now, though the channels won’t go live until closer to Gen Con

Games run at Gen Con follow Paizo Organized Play guidelines and players need an organized play number to participate. If you don’t already have one, you can registering for an Organized Play number at https://paizo.com/organizedplay before the event.

The schedule still has games needing GMs. To sign up to GM a session, complete the following steps:

  1. Join the OPF Major Events Discord.
  2. Review the schedule in this Google Sheet.
  3. Post your game choices in the Gen Con GM-selection channel. Include your preferred VTT and your gencon.com email.
  4. Complete the GM registration form once you have a finalized schedule.

Organizers update the schedule spreadsheet updates as signups are received on first come, first served basis, so your first choice may not be available. If a game isn’t available , organizers will advise you to choose a different game.

Volunteer GMs received the following incentives:*

Block Commitment (block = 5 hours) Product Pdf ($15.99 or less) In-Game Reward (PF1/SFS) Premier Plus AcP Incentives (PFS2) Paizo voucher ($10/block)
11 blocks
10 blocks
9 blocks
8 blocks
7 blocks
6 blocks
5 blocks --
4 blocks --
3 blocks --
2 blocks -- --
1 blocks -- --

Any GMs who have questions should either email genconleads@gmail.com or contact the Gen Con committee via the OPF Major Events Discord.

Regarding scenarios on offer. We’ll preview them after the catalog goes live! Check back here on July 8th for details about all the new releases. These include three multi-table interactive events - Pathfinder Society #2-00: The King in Thorns, Starfinder Society #3-00: The Last Bite, and Pathfinder Adventure Card Society #6-99: Tyrant of the Harrow. Besides the interactive specials, we’ve got the first scenarios in Pathfinder Society Year 2, Starfinder Society Year 3, and Year 7 of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Society. We’ll also be wrapping up the Pathfinder Quests and launching the Pathfinder Bounties. Finally, we’ve got a brand new PACS Open for those wanting a bit of competition in their Adventure Card Game. Intrigued? Want to know more? Don’t forget to check back here on July 8th for descriptions of these events and more.

For those players trying to catch some games from prior years, we’ve got you covered as well. The schedule includes tables of some old favorites from Pathfinder (first edition) as well as selections from Year 1 of Pathfinder Society (second edition) and Year 2 of Starfinder Society, With nearly 1,000 tables over the four days of the convention, we’re sure you’ll have plenty of opportunities to roll some (virtual) dice!

If you have any questions, leave them in the comments below, or join the POPOE server and ask away! We look forward to seeing you all at Gen Con Online!

Until next time—Explore, Report, Cooperate!

Alex Speidel
Organized Play Associate

Tonya Woldridge
Organized Play Manager

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Conventions Gen Con Organized Play Pathfinder Society Starfinder Society
Venture-Lieutenant, Online—VTT

7 people marked this as a favorite.
Blog wrote:
Finally, we’ve got a brand new PACS Open for those wanting a bit of competition in their Adventure Card Game. Intrigued? Want to know more?

Such a tease!!

Very excited for what Gen Con Online has to offer!

Paizo Employee 5/5 Organized Play Associate

1 person marked this as a favorite.

GM signups for UK Games Expo Online are also now open, visit this document for instructions and more information!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fH8ICZSudpuV9iQVLM_aFtzU-4AqB5hq/view?usp= sharing

Venture-Agent, Washington—Tacoma

Is there something somewhere explaining Pathfinder Bounties?

Dark Archive 4/5 5/55/5

Jack Squared wrote:
Is there something somewhere explaining Pathfinder Bounties?

They were discussed during a PaizoCon panel. For this year, they will all be for level 1 characters only and repeatable. They are similar in length to quests without a direct Society tie-in, hence being a bounty.

Dark Archive 5/5 5/5

Srsly, the POPOE server? Chortle.

2/5 5/55/5

Usually it's 3 GM slots for an in-game reward for cons, is there a reason it was changed to 4 for GCO or is this a typo?

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Nathan Schwalm wrote:
Jack Squared wrote:
Is there something somewhere explaining Pathfinder Bounties?
They were discussed during a PaizoCon panel. For this year, they will all be for level 1 characters only and repeatable. They are similar in length to quests without a direct Society tie-in, hence being a bounty.

Good point. We need something in writing, but that is the gist. Lifting the marketing curtain, we are trying to "reduce start-up friction" with short, modular, low-level adventures that are useful for both Society and "regular" players. They might even be a shorter playtime than a Quest.

Paizo Employee 4/5 Organized Play Manager

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Nathan Schwalm wrote:
Jack Squared wrote:
Is there something somewhere explaining Pathfinder Bounties?
They were discussed during a PaizoCon panel. For this year, they will all be for level 1 characters only and repeatable. They are similar in length to quests without a direct Society tie-in, hence being a bounty.
Good point. We need something in writing, but that is the gist. Lifting the marketing curtain, we are trying to "reduce start-up friction" with short, modular, low-level adventures that are useful for both Society and "regular" players. They might even be a shorter playtime than a Quest.

We've got a longer blog planned for in two weeks :)

Paizo Employee 4/5 Organized Play Manager

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Last Slamurai wrote:
Usually it's 3 GM slots for an in-game reward for cons, is there a reason it was changed to 4 for GCO or is this a typo?

That was a late night typo on my part. I'll see if we can get the chart up top updated, but ingame rewards for PFS1/SFS/PACS GMs are 3+ blocks.

Grand Lodge 4/5 5/55/5

I don’t see the $10 per slot reward in the chart. Is that supposed to be one of the two to the right which seem to be duplicated or are you no longer offering the vouchers?

Venture-Lieutenant, Online—VTT

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Can’t wait for the Specials :D

Paizo Employee 4/5 Organized Play Manager

TwilightKnight wrote:
I don’t see the $10 per slot reward in the chart. Is that supposed to be one of the two to the right which seem to be duplicated or are you no longer offering the vouchers?

Still offered. It is the furthest right column. Requested it be updated from web team.

Dataphiles

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Forgive me for being dense, but I want to be sure I understand this...

If I play (not GM) are we saying it's $2 per game? Or is that for special events?

I'm excited to play and want to get an idea.

Paizo Employee 5/5 Organized Play Associate

1 person marked this as a favorite.

That is correct; $2 (plus tax) for each game you play. Some games will be less (PACS at $1; Quests & Bounties at no cost).

Dataphiles

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Alex Speidel wrote:
That is correct; $2 (plus tax) for each game you play. Some games will be less (PACS at $1; Quests & Bounties at no cost).

thanks

Silver Crusade 5/5 5/5

Alex Speidel wrote:
That is correct; $2 (plus tax) for each game you play. Some games will be less (PACS at $1; Quests & Bounties at no cost).

Do GMs get any sort of break? Can we at least use our vouchers for this?

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Arizona—Phoenix

GMs are not charged for tables they run. The vouchers are for the Paizo store, not GenCon events.

Dataphiles

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Steven Schopmeyer wrote:
GMs are not charged for tables they run. The vouchers are for the Paizo store, not GenCon events.

I'm too lazy to GM scenarios at Gen-Con. I already GM my local game, and 2 PbD games on Roll for Combat discord :)

Silver Crusade 5/5 5/5

Steven Schopmeyer wrote:
GMs are not charged for tables they run.

That's, uh, big of them :-)

Shadow Lodge 4/5

2 people marked this as a favorite.

*stares into the distance with his 500+ table stare*

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tonya Woldridge wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Nathan Schwalm wrote:
Jack Squared wrote:
Is there something somewhere explaining Pathfinder Bounties?
They were discussed during a PaizoCon panel. For this year, they will all be for level 1 characters only and repeatable. They are similar in length to quests without a direct Society tie-in, hence being a bounty.
Good point. We need something in writing, but that is the gist. Lifting the marketing curtain, we are trying to "reduce start-up friction" with short, modular, low-level adventures that are useful for both Society and "regular" players. They might even be a shorter playtime than a Quest.
We've got a longer blog planned for in two weeks :)

Of course you do, because you are amazing. :)

The Exchange 1/5 5/5

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Question about cons in general now. If we got a boon form ConCurrent from a D20 roll when will we get out boon?

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Arizona—Phoenix

I already received mine. Check to make sure your table was reported and check with your GM or the online VOs to make sure it was included.

(I believe pfsreportingerrors@paizo.com may be the best way to reach them, but hopefully the online VOs will be along to correct me if not.)

Dark Archive 4/5 Venture-Captain, Online—PbP

Marc Waschle wrote:
Question about cons in general now. If we got a boon form ConCurrent from a D20 roll when will we get out boon?

All rewards have now been emailed out. If you are expecting a boon or vouchers and have not received an email:

1) Search your email for the subject line "ConCurrent - Rewards"
2) Check any filtered mailboxes for the email; we've had reports that Gmail likes to put it in Promotions or Important.

If you do either of these and you still can't find it, then you may email organizedplay@paizo.com with your name, PFS ID and as much detail on what you're missing as possible. Screenshots of the rolls for missing boons/vouchers are fantastic if you have them.

Reporting is also complete for the event! If you see errors in the reporting, or are missing sessions entirely, email pfsreportingerrors@paizo.com with your chronicles from the session(s) you have errors and we'll get them fixed.

The Exchange 1/5 5/5

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Thanks to both of you helpful people! I shall recheck my spam when I get home!

Liberty's Edge 5/5

Ok, I am a bit late to the "table" as I just followed the links here and got all the info I could. I have never been to GenCon before, well, I made the last two years of GenCon SoCal but never the big event so I am excited.
I think I followed all the steps correctly and signed up to run one slot B3 PF2 1-21 Mistress of the Maze on FGU(gotta get some more Fantasy Grounds games available!).
I also made a list of games I would like to play in. As far as signing up for the games, do you have any more info? If it is $2 per game do I load all the slots I want into a shopping cart and purchase them when I am done? If anyone can advise I appreciate it, otherwise I will be sure to be trolling the GenCon Site up to and during the signups till I figure it out!

Looking forward to it!

Shadow Lodge 5/5 5/55/5 Venture-Lieutenant, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East

I can't find a link for step 4

Silver Crusade 1/5


After following all the steps on > this form<, I *think* the final step you are missing is to fill out >> THIS FORM <<

Shadow Lodge 5/5 5/55/5 Venture-Lieutenant, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East

Ah, great thanks. I'd had that first document before, but every time I found it it just said "Form coming soon" instead of that second link.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Events / Online Play / Paizo Blog: Organized Play at Gen Con Online 2020 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Online Play