Greetings, players! Somehow, it’s once again time to start recruiting volunteers for our major conventions! At this time, we’re opening applications for Gen Con Indianapolis 2023. Information on Gen Con Online, as well as other PaizoCon events, will happen at a future date. Please read all the information in the convention’s section before filling out the application form, and let the team know if you have any questions!
Gen Con Indy 2023
Gen Con Indianapolis will take place in Indianapolis, Indiana from August 3-6, 2023. While we intend to participate in Gen Con Online, this application is only for the in-person show. New content at this show includes the launch of Pathfinder Society Year 5, the new Pathfinder Society Special and the second American run of the Starfinder Society interactive special, and new Starfinder Society scenarios (including your first chance to meet the new First Seeker Candidates).
We are currently seeking volunteers for the following roles:
- Game Master: Run tables of Organized Play Scenarios, Bounties and Quests
- Headquarters (HQ): Answer player and GM questions, seat players, handle conflicts and disputes, and report games after completion
- Demo GM: Run quick demos for new players, giving them a short Pathfinder/Starfinder experience before quickly turning the table over for the next group. Our Demo GMs may receive an Exhibitor badge in compensation for the fast and furious nature of the position, subject to availability.
- Academy GM: Run games for young children (under 18) and their families and provide a safe, welcoming environment for our youngest gamers. This position requires proof of a completed background check.
Please read this important information before applying:
- Volunteer applications will be reviewed and accepted or rejected by the Gen Con Organizing Committee. Filling this form out does not guarantee acceptance; you will receive an email with further information from the Gen Con committee.
- Gen Con Indy schedules will be assigned by the committee. You will be asked for your preference of system and level, but you will not necessarily be able to choose the specific scenario(s) you run. The committee’s intention is to assign people to run the same scenario multiple times during the weekend. There is a free-form field at the end of the form to enter specific requests, though there’s no guarantee they will be honored.
- Reward information is listed in the table below. GMs who don’t qualify for a badge will still need to purchase one.
- Volunteers will be accepted on a rolling basis and schedules should be assigned within two weeks of your application. Once your schedule is assigned and you confirm, you are considered to be committed to attending the event.
- Adventure authors interested in running tables of scenarios they have written should fill out the volunteer form and then follow up by emailing email@example.com. Please note we have a limited number of tables and the schedule is fairly locked-in at this stage, but we’ll do our best to get you slotted into your scenario if it’s on the schedule.
- Gen Con has indicated that they do not plan to have any mask or vaccination requirements for the event. They have also prevented us from enforcing a mask mandate within our spaces. We will work to ensure the safety of all our attendees as best we can under this policy. At this time we are still evaluating our options such as obtaining air purifiers, reducing player count to ensure safe distancing, and increasing the distance between tables. We will be sure to provide hand sanitizer and masks on-site for any who want them.
- Any questions about the GM signup process should be sent to the committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Blocks Housing Product Player Badge Volunteer Attire In-Game Reward Voucher 7+ blocks X X X X X X 6 blocks X X X X X 5 blocks X X X X 4 blocks X X X X 3 blocks X X X X 2 blocks X X X 1 block X X X
*Definitions for rewards:
- Player Badge: a badge for the duration of the event. GMs must have a Player badge before registering to play games. Demo GMs may receive an Exhibitor badge if our allotment allows.
- In-game reward: A reward for characters based on the current organized play program GM reward programs. Pathfinder Society (first edition)/Pathfinder Adventure Card Society is paper boons, Pathfinder Society (second edition)/Starfinder Society is Achievement Point rewards at the Premier Plus (2.0x) level.
- Product: a physical copy of a Paizo product, chosen from a list of recent releases prior to the convention.
- Volunteer Attire: One shirt per day of volunteering (unless volunteer received shirts in the previous year).
- Voucher: earn one voucher for $10 spendable on paizo.com or at the Paizo booth for every block run.
- Housing: GMs will be housed at two volunteers per room. More volunteers (up to four) may be added to one room if all volunteers agree. More information is available on the application form.
Note that these dates are from Gen Con directly; other dates specifically relevant to us may be added.
- January 29: Indy badge registration begins
- February 12: Indy housing portal opens
- May (dates unknown): Indy event catalog goes live, Indy event registration begins
Major Conventions Planning Server
Anybody interested in volunteering at PaizoCon Online or Gen Con should join the OPF Major Conventions planning server by clicking the image below. Follow the instructions in #welcome to get access to the relevant channels. All important information will be conveyed on this server as well as via email, so please join the server!
Organized Play Coordinator
Heather Vigil, Kevin Baumann, Rebecca Fehn and Joe Mathos
Gen Con Organizing Committee
Call to Volunteer: Gen Con Indy 2023
Thursday, January 19, 2023