February Update— Achievement Points , Stars, Novas, Spotlights and Conventions!

Thursday, February 6, 2020

Achievement Points – Pathfinder Society (second edition)

The last week saw great progress on the backlog of organized play tasks. I’ve reviewed resumes for the new Organized Play Associate position, posted a blog with Pathfinder Society (second edition) sanctioning, and made progress on onboarding our venture-officer volunteers from the Organized Play Foundation. There are other tasks, that we aren’t quite ready to reveal, that got crossed off the to-do list. While not over the hill, we made progress up the slope.

One of the outstanding tasks I’m working on is the Achievement Point (AcP) system. We found a few small bugs – GM credit and GM AcP credit are currently linked – and need a few improvements – scaling the amount to accommodate points earned for quests – before we can roll the system out. We are testing the system and moving the bar forward but are still a few weeks out from implementation.

To bridge the gap and allow players to determine how to spend their points once the system goes live, we decided to release the first round of rewards. We haven’t decided how often to change things, but plan on leaving this in place for a minimum of three months, to give players time to reach their goals. When we do decide to rotate the offerings, we will announce our intentions and give a good amount of time for players to acquire points and purchase. This gap will most likely be a month long, but we will watch feedback once the system goes live and make final decisions then. As with our other programs, the first rotation or two will be where we work the bugs out and fine tune the processes.

Achievement Point Chart #1:

AcP Cost Purchase Multiple Times Scaling Cost Reward Name Description
80 Yes No Leshy Ancestry Build a leshy PC
80 Yes No Iruxi Ancestry Build an iruxi (lizardfolk) PC
120 No N/A Hobgoblin Ancestry Build a hobgoblin PC from Oprak
20 Yes No Evolving Destiny Rebuild a PC who has 47 XP or less (i.e. level 4 or lower)
50 Yes +15 every time Career Change Rebuild a PC who has 48 or more XP (level 5+)
20 Yes No World Traveler You are treated as being from a particular region for the purpose of accessing character options
20 Yes No Exclusive Spellcaster—Core Select an uncommon spell from a curated list of CRB options; your PCs have access to it
40 Yes +10 every time Second Chance Gain the benefits of a resurrect ritual
4 Yes No Inherited Wayfinder Gain a wayfinder at no additional cost
20 Yes No Ancestral Adoption 2019 Choose leshy, lizardfolk, or hobgoblin when taking the Adopted Ancestry feat

Campaign Coins

At MarsCon in January, we had the pleasure of recognizing longtime venture-officer Jason Avery, VC New Hampshire, as recipient. He may now use #827! Huzzah and thank you for your efforts on behalf of the gaming community.

Novas

Congratulations to our first Nova recipients:

  • Gary Norton
  • Natalie Kertzner
  • Glen Parnell

As with stars, 5-nova GMs run 150 games, of which 50 are unique scenarios and 10 are interactive events. They also run at least three evaluation games under the purview of a Venture-Captain, who evaluate the GM using this rubric. Not a small time committment! Congratulations again to our first ever 5-nova GMs.

Keep those assessments coming! Venture-Captains, to log evaluation games, please use this form to submit evaluations.

Stars

We had one GM reached their 5th star in January. Doing so indicates a commitment to organized play, as to achieve this milestone, GMs must run 150 games, of which at least 50 must be unique scenarios and 10 special scenarios, as well as run a game for a venture-captain. A conservative estimate of time needed to reach 5-stars is 650 hours!

Congratulations to Aerine Caerwyn on achieving her 5th star!

Glyphs

I mentioned it under the Achievement Point entry but wanted to note it here as well. We are having issues with the separation of GM Achievement Points and GM table credit. Until we get this issue resolved, counts aren’t accurate. Once we do get it fixed, we will get the symbol in place and people can start announcing their Glyphs.

Convention Listing

Convention season 2020 is well under way! You can play in Society games at any of the conventions listed below! The list includes all submissions as of 4 February. If you see one missing, ping the organizer and have them submit a request for support or have them email me at organizedplay@paizo.com to discuss their event. All of the conventions on the list maintain some type of web presence, be it website, social media page, or Warhorn listing, so if you are interested in attending in either capacity, check out their websites or contact the local venture-officer for more information!

ConventionLocationStart Date
CaptainCon 2020 Warwick, RI 2/7/2020
FlintCon 2020 Flint, MI 2/8/2020
LodgeCon 2020 Peotone, Illinois 2/8/2020
GenghisCon 2020 Aurora, Colorado 2/13/2020
BASHCon 35 (2020) Toledo, OH 2/14/2020
Capricon 40 (2020) Wheeling, IL 2/14/2020
Con of the North 2020 Plymouth MN 2/14/2020
DunDraCon 44 (2020) San Ramon, California 2/14/2020
DunDraCon 44 (2020) San Ramon, California 2/14/2020
NexusCon2020 Starfinder Nexus Discord & Roll20 2/14/2020
Orccon 2020 Los Angeles, CA, USA 2/14/2020
Orccon 2020 Los Angeles, CA, USA 2/14/2020
Radcon 8 (2020) Pasco WA 2/14/2020
Dreamation 2020 Morristown, NJ 2/20/2020
TotalCon 34 (2020) Marlborough, MA 2/20/2020
4th Annual Omaha Pathfinder Charity Con 2020 Bellevue, NE 2/21/2020
Manaleak 2020 Birmingham, West Midlands, UK 2/22/2020
Hoop & Stick 2020 65666 Bethel Rd New Plymouth, OH 45654 2/27/2020
PAX East 2020 Boston, MA 2/27/2020
Adventure Con 2020 Hamburg, Germany 2/28/2020
Gad Con 2020 Aberdeen MD 2/28/2020
George WashingCon 2020 Bloomington, IN 2/28/2020
Mysticon 2020 Roanoke, Virginia 2/28/2020
Owlcon: Hindsight 2020 Houston, Texas 2/28/2020
Vinterfinder 2020 Copenhagen/Denmark 2/28/2020
ArctiCon X Merrillville, Indiana 2/29/2020
Cincycon Hamilton, Ohio 3/6/2020
KevätMaraCon2020 Finland, Oulu, Kaijonharjun nuorisotalo 3/6/2020
Southend Pathfinder Conclave 2020 Southend, Essex, UK 3/7/2020
BFG CON Frederick, MD 3/13/2020
Cleveland ConCoction Aurora, Ohio 3/20/2020
COSCON 2020 Lyndora, PA (USA) 3/20/2020
CogCon Spring Revel 2020 Rolla, MO 3/27/2020
CoNfUsIoN 2020 - Winter Gouda, zuid-holland, the Netherlands 3/27/2020
Not-A-Con 2020 Winder, GA 3/29/2020
CODCON 2020 Glen Ellyn, IL 4/3/2020
Save vs Hunger 2020 Maryville, TN 4/3/2020

Organized Play Staff Travel

While we aren’t ready to announce our full year of convention travel quite yet, we can confirm a few appearances during first quarter 2020. For those proactive organizers out there, please note the deadline to request Paizo staff attendance is 1 June 2020. Organizers may email your interest to organizedplay@paizo.com. Note: staff do not attend conventions that conflict with Paizo-sponsored shows.

Convention Location Start Date Paizo Staffers Scheduled to Attend*
OwlCon 2020 Houston, TX 2/28/2020 Thurston
GenghisCon 2020 Aurora, CO 2/13/2020 Tonya
Gama Trade Show 2020 Reno, NV 3/9/2020 Staff TBD
Emerald City Comic Con 2020 Seattle, WA 3/13/2020 Staff TBD
CogCon 2020 Sacramento, CA 3/27/2020 Tonya

*Staffers scheduled to attend may change without notice.

Don’t forget to come back next week for the scenario previews!

Until next time—Explore, Report, Cooperate!

Tonya Woldridge
Organized Play Manager

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Conventions Organized Play Pathfinder Society
1 to 50 of 270 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge 3/5 5/5 Venture-Captain, Nebraska—Omaha

Congrats to the new 5-stars and 5-novas!!!

Will the assignment of tier for conventions also be corrected? I assume it will but needed to ask.

Edit:Woot! First post!!

Grand Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

goodness those are EXPENSIVE boons for society play. but at least this means by the time it comes out i can make my iruxi druid Salamancer!

Wayfinders 3/5 5/55/55/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Illinois—Chicago aka Lindley Court

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Congrats to Gary, Natalie, Glen, and Aerine! You're all amazing folks. and I treasure you dearly!

Excited to see AcP coming to fruition.

Liberty's Edge 3/5 5/5 Venture-Captain, Nebraska—Omaha

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Azymondiaz wrote:
goodness those are EXPENSIVE boons for society play. but at least this means by the time it comes out i can make my iruxi druid Salamancer!

See this blog when the concept of Achievement Points was introduced.

Right now, playing a 2e table earns 4 AP. GM credits are not working right but I assume it will be at least that amount if not more.

So at those numbers, earning a hobgoblin will take about 30 tables. Even fewer if you GM. This is in line with what it took to get a skittermander in SFS.

Grand Archive

Gary Bush wrote:
Azymondiaz wrote:
goodness those are EXPENSIVE boons for society play. but at least this means by the time it comes out i can make my iruxi druid Salamancer!

See this blog when the concept of Achievement Points was introduced.

Right now, playing a 2e table earns 4 AP. GM credits are not working right but I assume it will be at least that amount if not more.

So at those numbers, earning a hobgoblin will take about 30 tables. Even fewer if you GM. This is in line with what it took to get a skittermander in SFS.

i believe GMing a table was 6 points for a normal society game. i dont remember where i saw it, but im pretty sure it was a paizo something, might have been a paizo blog

im just glad they didnt give that treatment to all the races. a good portion of the place i play at and i want to do iruxi and leshy more than hobgoblin lol

2/5 5/5

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

Congrats to the Nova recipients!

The boons look about right to me in cost -- I have a couple of players telling me they look high. But for context, I thought the AcP was primarily a GM incentive (replacing the GM boons at cons). Normally a boon was ~3 blocks at a premier (or premier plus) event. So 30-36 AcP for a no-choice race option. Paying double that cost for a choose what you want, feels reasonable.

The costs are high enough to make GMing and to make the premier/premier plus bonuses worthwhile (hence still acting as a GM/con incentive) while still letting predominately player people make progress towards more rare things.

2/5 5/5

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

Here's the AcP point list for people's reference:
Search for Special Rewards

Grand Archive

NielsenE wrote:

Here's the AcP point list for people's reference:

http://www.organizedplayfoundation.org/encyclopedia/pathfinder-2-0-organize d-play-basics/

the link is dead lol

2/5 5/5

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
Azymondiaz wrote:
NielsenE wrote:

Here's the AcP point list for people's reference:

http://www.organizedplayfoundation.org/encyclopedia/pathfinder-2-0-organize d-play-basics/
the link is dead lol

edited my post, fixed it.

Grand Archive

NielsenE wrote:
Azymondiaz wrote:
NielsenE wrote:

Here's the AcP point list for people's reference:

http://www.organizedplayfoundation.org/encyclopedia/pathfinder-2-0-organize d-play-basics/
the link is dead lol
edited my post, fixed it.

:O did i read this right? Gming is 8 points, but playing is 4? That really is a good incentive lol

Grand Lodge 4/5

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Hold up. Why can a player only buy a Hobgoblin ancestry one time while there are no limits and no scaling for buying an Iruxi or a Leshy? That does not make any sense. I don't think Hobgoblins are any more powerful than any other ancestry.

80 AcP would require 20 tables played or 10 tables ran to earn enough points to play an Iruxi or Leshy. Why are they treated differently?

Grand Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Xathos of Varisia wrote:

Hold up. Why can a player only buy a Hobgoblin ancestry one time while there are no limits and no scaling for buying an Iruxi or a Leshy? That does not make any sense. I don't think Hobgoblins are any more powerful than any other ancestry.

80 AcP would require 20 tables played or 10 tables ran to earn enough points to play an Iruxi or Leshy. Why are they treated differently?

i have 2 dozen people that also want to know this and are waiting on probably me to find out since im watching the blog more than them lol

Liberty's Edge 3/5 5/5 Venture-Captain, Nebraska—Omaha

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Xathos of Varisia wrote:

Hold up. Why can a player only buy a Hobgoblin ancestry one time while there are no limits and no scaling for buying an Iruxi or a Leshy? That does not make any sense. I don't think Hobgoblins are any more powerful than any other ancestry.

80 AcP would require 20 tables played or 10 tables ran to earn enough points to play an Iruxi or Leshy. Why are they treated differently?

Because Hobgoblins are inherently evil? And leadership wants to limit the number of them in play?

Grand Lodge 4/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gary Bush wrote:
Xathos of Varisia wrote:

Hold up. Why can a player only buy a Hobgoblin ancestry one time while there are no limits and no scaling for buying an Iruxi or a Leshy? That does not make any sense. I don't think Hobgoblins are any more powerful than any other ancestry.

80 AcP would require 20 tables played or 10 tables ran to earn enough points to play an Iruxi or Leshy. Why are they treated differently?

Because Hobgoblins are inherently evil? And leadership wants to limit the number of them in play?

We've moved past X race is inherently evil when it comes to player characters. Put a scaling factor in to limit them but a one time purchase is kind of harsh unless this is going to reset per quarter.


Huzzah! Thanks for sharing this out! Really thankful to you all for getting these details out there while systems are coming into shape!

2/5 5/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

It does call out 'from Oprak' so maybe next quarter we'd see a different region's Hobgoblin.

Grand Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Xathos of Varisia wrote:
Gary Bush wrote:
Xathos of Varisia wrote:

Hold up. Why can a player only buy a Hobgoblin ancestry one time while there are no limits and no scaling for buying an Iruxi or a Leshy? That does not make any sense. I don't think Hobgoblins are any more powerful than any other ancestry.

80 AcP would require 20 tables played or 10 tables ran to earn enough points to play an Iruxi or Leshy. Why are they treated differently?

Because Hobgoblins are inherently evil? And leadership wants to limit the number of them in play?
We've moved past X race is inherently evil when it comes to player characters. Put a scaling factor in to limit them but a one time purchase is kind of harsh unless this is going to reset per quarter.

i want drow pcs in society then. Only if that happens can you truly say what you just said. There are still plenty of EVIL things that shouldnt be in society.

we are not past that point of "X race is inherently evil" yet. there is a lot of evil. thats why society exists

2/5 5/5

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

Was there every anything said about AcP for modules?

The table in the guides only lists quests and scenarios. Does Fall of Plaguestone award AcP? Same value as a scenario? Tripled like most of its values? Doubled like the PFS1 GM table credit analog for modules?

Which also brings us to the known issue of their work to separate GM table credit from GM ACP. Can you list the values you plan to use, even if they are not implemented yet? Or are the values subject to some technical limitations and you're still waiting to see what's possible?

Is it:
Quest: 0.25
Scenario: 1
Module: 2
(which has been my conservative estimate for how to map GM'd sessions to glyphs)

Grand Archive

NielsenE wrote:

Was there every anything said about AcP for modules?

The table in the guides only lists quests and scenarios. Does Fall of Plaguestone award AcP? Same value as a scenario? Tripled like most of its values? Doubled like the PFS1 GM table credit analog for modules?

Which also brings us to the known issue of their work to separate GM table credit from GM ACP. Can you list the values you plan to use, even if they are not implemented yet? Or are the values subject to some technical limitations and you're still waiting to see what's possible?

Is it:
Quest: 0.25
Scenario: 1
Module: 2
(which has been my conservative estimate for how to map GM'd sessions to glyphs)

i got 24 points for running plaguestone. but i dont know if it was a special event or not

2/5 5/5

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

I show 24 for running it as well, but given all the errors in GM AcP they are working through, wasn't sure if that's correct. There's no official chart to compare it to.

2/5 5/5

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
Saint Bernard de Clairveaux wrote:
One quick question: What amount should be rewarded for each GMed and played session? Right now I see 1 ACP for some GM sessions and 4 for played sessions. I assume that’s part of what the team is working on fixing. Can’t imagine we’d award fewer ACP to GMs.

Copied from the link I linked upstream:

from Organized Play Basics wrote:


Adventure Participant Event ACP Earned
Quest Player Standard 1
Quest Player Premier 1
Quest Player Premier Plus 1.5
Quest GM Standard 2
Quest GM Premier Plus 3
Scenario Player Standard 4
Scenario Player Premier 5
Scenario Player Premier Plus 6
Scenario GM Standard 8
Scenario GM Premier 10
Scenario GM Premier Plus 12

Grand Archive

NielsenE wrote:
Saint Bernard de Clairveaux wrote:
One quick question: What amount should be rewarded for each GMed and played session? Right now I see 1 ACP for some GM sessions and 4 for played sessions. I assume that’s part of what the team is working on fixing. Can’t imagine we’d award fewer ACP to GMs.

Copied from the link I linked upstream:

from Organized Play Basics wrote:


Adventure Participant Event ACP Earned
Quest Player Standard 1
Quest Player Premier 1
Quest Player Premier Plus 1.5
Quest GM Standard 2
Quest GM Premier Plus 3
Scenario Player Standard 4
Scenario Player Premier 5
Scenario Player Premier Plus 6
Scenario GM Standard 8
Scenario GM Premier 10
Scenario GM Premier Plus 12

maybe it was counted as 3 scenarios, since that's what the rewards total out to be on the chronicle? Guess we'll find out eventually

Silver Crusade

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Azymondiaz wrote:
Xathos of Varisia wrote:
Gary Bush wrote:
Xathos of Varisia wrote:

Hold up. Why can a player only buy a Hobgoblin ancestry one time while there are no limits and no scaling for buying an Iruxi or a Leshy? That does not make any sense. I don't think Hobgoblins are any more powerful than any other ancestry.

80 AcP would require 20 tables played or 10 tables ran to earn enough points to play an Iruxi or Leshy. Why are they treated differently?

Because Hobgoblins are inherently evil? And leadership wants to limit the number of them in play?
We've moved past X race is inherently evil when it comes to player characters. Put a scaling factor in to limit them but a one time purchase is kind of harsh unless this is going to reset per quarter.

i want drow pcs in society then. Only if that happens can you truly say what you just said. There are still plenty of EVIL things that shouldnt be in society.

we are not past that point of "X race is inherently evil" yet. there is a lot of evil. thats why society exists

... that is not why the Pathfinder Society exists.

And yes we have moved past Humanoid x is inherently Evil.

We don’t have options for playing Aasimar yet either, doesn’t mean they’re inherently evil. Certain things are picked for Society to go with the theme and story.

Sovereign Court 2/5

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Maps, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber

Congrats to the folks who got Glyphs, Stars and Novas! <3

Also thanks Tonya and team for the progress!

Grand Archive

Rysky wrote:
Azymondiaz wrote:
Xathos of Varisia wrote:
Gary Bush wrote:
Xathos of Varisia wrote:

Hold up. Why can a player only buy a Hobgoblin ancestry one time while there are no limits and no scaling for buying an Iruxi or a Leshy? That does not make any sense. I don't think Hobgoblins are any more powerful than any other ancestry.

80 AcP would require 20 tables played or 10 tables ran to earn enough points to play an Iruxi or Leshy. Why are they treated differently?

Because Hobgoblins are inherently evil? And leadership wants to limit the number of them in play?
We've moved past X race is inherently evil when it comes to player characters. Put a scaling factor in to limit them but a one time purchase is kind of harsh unless this is going to reset per quarter.

i want drow pcs in society then. Only if that happens can you truly say what you just said. There are still plenty of EVIL things that shouldnt be in society.

we are not past that point of "X race is inherently evil" yet. there is a lot of evil. thats why society exists

... that is not why the Pathfinder Society exists.

And yes we have moved past Humanoid x is inherently Evil.

We don’t have options for playing Aasimar yet either, doesn’t mean they’re inherently evil. Certain things are picked for Society to go with the theme and story.

what is society for then? cuz i thought it was to fight evil or explore places or something (other than the universal rules where you can play with anyone anywhere). your aasimar example is a poor and unfair example cuz we all know how that's gonna go. theyre LITERALLY the children of angels in lore lol. maybe there will be an option for a more corrup-oh wait the corrupted version already exists, called a tiefling.

Dark Archive 5/5 5/5

Congrats to the stars and nova recipients, especially to Gary, who is the only one I've played with, when he flew across the country to run a couple really fun tables of SFS at PAX Unplugged.

Grand Lodge 4/5

Wooooo!

5/5 Venture-Agent, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East aka Pirate Rob

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Woo, I've got about ~175 AcP so far and will soon be able to make my Leshy druid and an Iruxi paladin a reality.

I guess I'll be saving further points for resurrect since I keep spending all my characterss fame.

DundraCon is listed twice btw.

4/5 Venture-Agent, Maryland—Hagerstown aka Z...D...

Nice. Time to start theory crafting my hob goblin...

1/5

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Do the scaling costs scale per character, or per player?

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Azymondiaz wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Azymondiaz wrote:
Xathos of Varisia wrote:
Gary Bush wrote:
Xathos of Varisia wrote:

Hold up. Why can a player only buy a Hobgoblin ancestry one time while there are no limits and no scaling for buying an Iruxi or a Leshy? That does not make any sense. I don't think Hobgoblins are any more powerful than any other ancestry.

80 AcP would require 20 tables played or 10 tables ran to earn enough points to play an Iruxi or Leshy. Why are they treated differently?

Because Hobgoblins are inherently evil? And leadership wants to limit the number of them in play?
We've moved past X race is inherently evil when it comes to player characters. Put a scaling factor in to limit them but a one time purchase is kind of harsh unless this is going to reset per quarter.

i want drow pcs in society then. Only if that happens can you truly say what you just said. There are still plenty of EVIL things that shouldnt be in society.

we are not past that point of "X race is inherently evil" yet. there is a lot of evil. thats why society exists

... that is not why the Pathfinder Society exists.

And yes we have moved past Humanoid x is inherently Evil.

We don’t have options for playing Aasimar yet either, doesn’t mean they’re inherently evil. Certain things are picked for Society to go with the theme and story.

what is society for then? cuz i thought it was to fight evil or explore places or something (other than the universal rules where you can play with anyone anywhere). your aasimar example is a poor and unfair example cuz we all know how that's gonna go. theyre LITERALLY the children of angels in lore lol. maybe there will be an option for a more corrup-oh wait the corrupted version already exists, called a tiefling.

… that is not what a Tiefling is.

The Society is for exploring and learning, and has various sects that cover different goals. The Society as a whole is not the Justice League.

As for Aasimar, I brought them up as a counterpart to your incorrect claim that Drow are inherently evil, and that that was why they are not playable in Society.

They are not playable in Society because we do not have rules for them yet, same as Aasimar.

Dark Archive 5/5 5/5

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Wooo hoo! Congrats Aerine Caerwyn!

Grand Lodge 4/5 5/55/5 Premier Event Coordinator aka TwilightKnight

Xathos of Varisia wrote:
Hold up. Why can a player only buy a Hobgoblin ancestry one time while there are no limits and no scaling for buying an Iruxi or a Leshy? That does not make any sense. I don't think Hobgoblins are any more powerful than any other ancestry.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a specific reason why. No matter what they would say, some people would b*+#+ about it. There isn't much incentive for them to explain why some decisions are made.

Restrictions on rules are not always based on power.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

The boons look great, but I do have to say that I think the prices on the ancestries look about twice as expensive as I'd expect them to be. If running 4 slots of PF2 at GenCon (and playing in 4 more!) isn't enough to qualify for an ancestry boon then either the boons are too expensive or you're not giving out enough AcP. And that's at a premier plus convention, the absolute best case scenario for earning points.

Also, I'm kind of curious on the increasing prices. What's the reasoning behind making things like resurrections or rebuilds more expensive each time you do it? Does the base price reset each "season", or does that carry over?

1/5 RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Most lodges I've encounted run or play at a location twice a month. So...

1. It will take ~10 months for a player to earn an iruxi or leshy.
2. It will take ~5 months for a GM to earn an iruxi or leshy
3. A GM running 4 slots at a recognized convention will be half-way to earning an iruxi or leshy.

I think the economy is solid overall, but it also means it will be harder for GMs to earn boons at conventions.

It will also hurt GMs and players who only can play or run at conventions or rarely. I also like to collect boons so I can give them to my friends who don't have the luxury of being able to play PFS regularly. I won't be able to do that with this system.

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

19 people marked this as a favorite.
Bob Jonquet wrote:
Xathos of Varisia wrote:
Hold up. Why can a player only buy a Hobgoblin ancestry one time while there are no limits and no scaling for buying an Iruxi or a Leshy? That does not make any sense. I don't think Hobgoblins are any more powerful than any other ancestry.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a specific reason why. No matter what they would say, some people would b!%~+ about it. There isn't much incentive for them to explain why some decisions are made.

Restrictions on rules are not always based on power.

Bob is generally right on all counts here, but for novelty's sake I will actually explain this one and we'll see it how it goes.

Right now, Oprak is the only nation of hobgoblins in the Inner Sea. Oprak is surrounded by hostile nations, and hobgoblins are responsible for not just the Iron Fang Invasion, but also the Goblinblood Wars from 20 years ago. They have an unequivocally worse reputation in the Inner Sea than any of the other ancestries currently available for play, goblins included. Right now, only a handful of hobgoblins have made their way out of Oprak into the wider world.

Over the coming months we'll be releasing adventures in PFS that touch on the hobgoblins of Oprak, exploring their integration, or lack thereof, into the wider society of the Inner Sea. We may also release hobgoblin specific boons that can affect various reporting conditions and related data. As we watch the reporting data from these adventures, the community will be telling us how well or how poorly the hobgoblins' relationship with their neighbors is progressing and we'll use that data to determine how hobgoblin access evolves in the campaign world. This might mean that hobgoblins show up a year from now at a cheaper price with additional purchases allowed. It might mean that hobgoblins are more expensive if/when they cycle back into rotation after this first opportunity. It could go a lot of ways, but at the end of the day Pathfinder Society is a living campaign that is directly influenced by the decisions of our players, and those decisions in turn can have huge impacts on the lore and canon for the entire Pathfinder product line.

Those aren't the only reasons we've throttled the access to hobgoblins during this first AcP cycle, but they're pretty significant ones and the only ones I'm really able to talk about at this time. If you want increased hobgoblin availability, watch for scenarios that feature hobgoblins and play them, buy your hobgoblin ancestry boon and play your hobgoblin character regularly, and follow the Pathfinder Society's edicts of "Explore, Report, Cooperate".

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Sooooo we gonna get a Oprak Ambassador Background for Hobgoblins? :3

Dark Archive 5/5 5/55/5 Regional Venture-Coordinator, Upper Midwest aka Silbeg

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Congrats, Aerine!!!

Another to prove how wonderful this campaign is, and how amazing our home lodge is!

Welcome to the Island!

Grand Lodge 5/5 Venture-Captain, Arizona—Phoenix aka TriOmegaZero

Huzzah!

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Agent, Colorado—Denver aka roll4initiative

1 person marked this as a favorite.

A bit difficult to read with Reward Name & Description on the bottom of each section.

Shadow Lodge 5/5 5/55/55/55/5 Venture-Captain, Indiana—Southern aka CanisDirus

HUGE congratulations to Gary, Natalie, and Glen for being our first Five-Nova GMs! I know you all put in a ton of time and effort bringing amazing games to your players!

Likewise congratulations to Jason and Aerine! Thank you for all that you do for our community!!

My players and GMs will be very excited to see the achievement point previews. Thank you for posting them to this week's blog!

Grand Lodge 5/5 5/55/55/5 Venture-Captain, Online—PbP aka Hmm

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Hmm throws confetti for Gary, Natalie, Glen, and Aerine!

Our first three 5 stars, and another Minnesota female five star GM! Woooot! I am so happy that all four of you made it!

Hmm

1/5 RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Michael Sayre wrote:
Bob Jonquet wrote:
Xathos of Varisia wrote:
Hold up. Why can a player only buy a Hobgoblin ancestry one time while there are no limits and no scaling for buying an Iruxi or a Leshy? That does not make any sense. I don't think Hobgoblins are any more powerful than any other ancestry.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a specific reason why. No matter what they would say, some people would b!%~+ about it. There isn't much incentive for them to explain why some decisions are made.

Restrictions on rules are not always based on power.

Bob is generally right on all counts here, but for novelty's sake I will actually explain this one and we'll see it how it goes.

..

I appreciate you taking lore into account! I hope you and the rest of the team do the same for determining rarity and availability of future ancestries.

A running gag has developed in my lodges over the fact that so many races formerly common to the Society have suddenly gone missing in 2nd Edition. Especially when the Pathfinder Society has invested so many resources (and scenarios) establishing relationships with Tian Xia countries and extraplanar organizations.

1/5

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Christian Dragos wrote:
A bit difficult to read with Reward Name & Description on the bottom of each section.

The table rendered poorly for me on my mobile device as well. The table looks fine on my laptop, though.

5/5 5/55/55/5

Travis Z-man wrote:
Wooooo!

Your M is upside down.

Sovereign Court 5/5 5/55/55/5 Venture-Agent, Missouri—St. Louis aka bluesman95

Nice update


First World Bard wrote:
Christian Dragos wrote:
A bit difficult to read with Reward Name & Description on the bottom of each section.
The table rendered poorly for me on my mobile device as well. The table looks fine on my laptop, though.

Turn auto rotate screen on and then turn it to landscape. It looks normal


Congrats Aerine! A well deserved 5th star!

2/5 5/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

I'm hoping we see a return of the 'start at level 2 or 3' boons from the Playtest Points for AcP at some point. As a frequent GM, less-often player, those were the most desirable boons for me. Since I often like to play characters that are exploring how the multi-class dedications evolve in interesting way, reaching level 2 or 4 tends to me when the character comes together. I would hope they don't have the doubling cost on them this time -- a high base cost that doesn't scale would seem best to me.

1 to 50 of 270 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Paizo Blog: February Update— Achievement Points , Stars, Novas, Spotlights and Conventions! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.