Starfinder Beginner Box

Starfinder Beginner Box

Preorder Print Edition $39.99

PDF available : $9.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Explore the Galaxy!

Launch into an exciting universe of science fantasy adventure with the Starfinder Beginner Box! Create and customize your own futuristic hero to play through challenging adventures and action-packed battles against dangerous foes! With streamlined rules, this deluxe boxed set is the ideal introduction to the Starfinder Roleplaying Game, an imaginative tabletop roleplaying game for 2-7 players. Welcome to the best launchpad for a lifetime of pulse-pounding adventure among the stars—the only limit is your imagination!

The Starfinder Beginner Box has everything you need to get started:

  • A 96-page Heroes' Handbook, detailing character creation and general rules for playing the game, plus a short solo adventure
  • A 96-page Game Master's Guide containing an adventure, alien adversaries, and advice on how to create your own science fantasy tales
  • A complete set of seven polyhedral dice
  • More than 80 full-color pawns depicting diverse heroes and aliens
  • 24 plastic pawn bases
  • Six pregenerated character sheets to throw you right into the action
  • Six blank character sheets to record the abilities of your custom-made hero
  • Six player aid cards for quick rules references
  • A durable, reusable, double-sided Flip-Mat play surface that works with any kind of marker

ISBN-13: 978-1-64078-123-8

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Preorder, expected approximately 8 Apr 2019

PDF:

Will be available for purchase approximately 24 Apr 2019

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO7110


See Also:

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Paizo Employee Webstore Coordinator

Preorders open!

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

You have my attention. ^_^


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Starfinder Superscriber

Will this be part of any Starfinder subscriptions?


I’m not seeing a release date for this here. When is this expected to release?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Finally!


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber

Not part of any Subscription, so preorder seperately

Paizo Employee Webstore Coordinator

Alledisil wrote:
Will this be part of any Starfinder subscriptions?

The Starfinder Beginner Box will not be included in any Starfinder subscriptions.

Barbaric Gug Swarm wrote:
I’m not seeing a release date for this here. When is this expected to release?

It will be released in April. The page now reflects that.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

ULTRA cool!


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Are there PDFs to go along with this?

And what is the size of the box? The preview makes it look like it's the size of a Pathfinder Adventure Card Game basic set box, but that might just be a mockup.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber

The Pathfinder Beginner Box was such a success I would expect this one to follow it in form and function (box size, general contents, layout, etc)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I’m looking forward to this, although I really wish these came out earlier.

I’m hoping the PF2 Beginner Box will be closer to PF2’s release date.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Class Deck, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Rick Kunz wrote:
Alledisil wrote:
Will this be part of any Starfinder subscriptions?

The Starfinder Beginner Box will not be included in any Starfinder subscriptions.

Barbaric Gug Swarm wrote:
I’m not seeing a release date for this here. When is this expected to release?
It will be released in April. The page now reflects that.

Will there be a digital version and if so, will it be included with physical preorders?


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Can the holiday discount be used when preordering this?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

It doesn’t usually apply to preorders.

Dark Archive

The Pathfinder Beginner Box had four pregens, this has six (out of seven possible different classes).
At first, i thought the mechanic wasn't to be included, because of it's drone feature.
Now i think the Solarian is the one class not included, as it is too complicated.

Can anyone shed some (star)light on which iconic hero isn't included?


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber

I'm intrigued by the "advice on how to create your own science fantasy tales" bit. I feel like a lot of people go into Starfinder expecting D&D in space (a la Spelljammer), or else something much more akin to true science fiction, and are surprised to see the amount of influence magic and gods and the supernatural have over the game. Science fantasy isn't the best defined genre out there, so a lot of people don't really know what to do with it. Starfinder's greatest strength - it's truly sandbox setting that allows scientific ambition, humanistic ideals, zealous religions and divine power, and Lovecraftian nihilism to exist concurrently and all be equally valid - is also its greatest weakness. There's too much extra thinking ahead involved.

Pathfinder can get away with being a sandbox setting because it can be concisely understood: "sword and sorcery, Lord of the Rings flavor fantasy except God is dead and the reliability of prophecy and fate with him." It's easy to pick up the game and play Pathfinder or even make your own setting from there. With Starfinder, a host of questions require the game master to put in a lot of extra thought ahead of time. What to do with a world where Heaven, the Devil, Cthulhu and space Elon Musk all exist concurrently? How are gods supposed to work in a world where a local drought or plague can be cured with commercial imports and advanced medicine? What effects does magic and the gods have on technological and social progress? How prevalent is magic, and is it more powerful than science? While fantasy has an abundance of pre-made templates giving GMs an idea of what a fantasy world is supposed to look like, science fantasy is a much more amorphous genre. As much as I love Starfinder's setting, I also know a lot of people who prefer to make their own, and often feel at a loss as to how to make a science fantasy world feel cohesive and make best use of the genre's flavor. I think it would be really helpful to have a creative world-building section, a campaign builder, and some talk about how various genres can make best use of science fantasy's unique setting. I really liked the "Corrupted by Shadows" and "Horrow Campaigns" articles in SoS AP1. Did a great job running over the fundamentals of horror with good advice about how science fantasy can interact with it.

That, or a Starfinder Game Master's Guide. I adore Pathfinder's, and I would buy this book in a heartbeat.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Opsylum wrote:

I'm intrigued by the "advice on how to create your own science fantasy tales" bit. I feel like a lot of people go into Starfinder expecting D&D in space (a la Spelljammer), or else something much more akin to true science fiction, and are surprised to see the amount of influence magic and gods and the supernatural have over the game. Science fantasy isn't the best defined genre out there, so a lot of people don't really know what to do with it. Starfinder's greatest strength - it's truly sandbox setting that allows scientific ambition, humanistic ideals, zealous religions and divine power, and Lovecraftian nihilism to exist concurrently and all be equally valid - is also its greatest weakness. There's too much extra thinking ahead involved.

Pathfinder can get away with being a sandbox setting because it can be concisely understood: "sword and sorcery, Lord of the Rings flavor fantasy except God is dead and the reliability of prophecy and fate with him." It's easy to pick up the game and play Pathfinder or even make your own setting from there. With Starfinder, a host of questions require the game master to put in a lot of extra thought ahead of time. What to do with a world where Heaven, the Devil, Cthulhu and space Elon Musk all exist concurrently? How are gods supposed to work in a world where a local drought or plague can be cured with commercial imports and advanced medicine? What effects does magic and the gods have on technological and social progress? How prevalent is magic, and is it more powerful than science? While fantasy has an abundance of pre-made templates giving GMs an idea of what a fantasy world is supposed to look like, science fantasy is a much more amorphous genre. As much as I love Starfinder's setting, I also know a lot of people who prefer to make their own, and often feel at a loss as to how to make a science fantasy world feel cohesive and make best use of the genre's flavor. I think it would be really helpful to have a creative world-building section, a campaign builder, and some talk about how various genres can make best use of science fantasy's unique setting. I really liked the "Corrupted by Shadows" and "Horrow Campaigns" articles in SoS AP1. Did a great job running over the fundamentals of horror with good advice about how science fantasy can interact with it.

That, or a Starfinder Game Master's Guide. I adore Pathfinder's, and I would buy this book in a heartbeat.

Any of those options sounds amazing. I really hope a Starfinder Game Master's Guide is released, as I'm finding that science fantasy is vastly different beast compared to typical RPG fantasy.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Zaister wrote:
Are there PDFs to go along with this?

I would also like to know that. Will there be a PDF version? If so, will it be included with a preorder?


Super excited for the Starfinder Beginner Box!

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I see that now a PDF version has been added. Since nothing is stated on the page, I must assume that it will have to be purchased separately and won't be included with pre-orders.

Silver Crusade

Starfinder Superscriber

It's possible that this will work like some of the Pathfinder stuff has, where if you are a subscriber to one of the Starfinder lines (probably the hardcover rulebooks) and preorder this, you will get the PDF for free. We'll need to wait for official word to know for sure.

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Redelia wrote:
It's possible that this will work like some of the Pathfinder stuff has, where if you are a subscriber to one of the Starfinder lines (probably the hardcover rulebooks) and preorder this, you will get the PDF for free. We'll need to wait for official word to know for sure.

That's what I originally thought (and hoped for), but this is usually stated on the page for the product. Hopefully someone from Paizo will eventually chime in.


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Will there be a way for Starfinder RPG subscribers to get the PDFs for this product, as there was with the Pathfinder Beginner Box?


Opsylum wrote:

I'm intrigued by the "advice on how to create your own science fantasy tales" bit. I feel like a lot of people go into Starfinder expecting D&D in space (a la Spelljammer), or else something much more akin to true science fiction, and are surprised to see the amount of influence magic and gods and the supernatural have over the game. Science fantasy isn't the best defined genre out there, so a lot of people don't really know what to do with it. Starfinder's greatest strength - it's truly sandbox setting that allows scientific ambition, humanistic ideals, zealous religions and divine power, and Lovecraftian nihilism to exist concurrently and all be equally valid - is also its greatest weakness. There's too much extra thinking ahead involved.

Pathfinder can get away with being a sandbox setting because it can be concisely understood: "sword and sorcery, Lord of the Rings flavor fantasy except God is dead and the reliability of prophecy and fate with him." It's easy to pick up the game and play Pathfinder or even make your own setting from there. With Starfinder, a host of questions require the game master to put in a lot of extra thought ahead of time. What to do with a world where Heaven, the Devil, Cthulhu and space Elon Musk all exist concurrently? How are gods supposed to work in a world where a local drought or plague can be cured with commercial imports and advanced medicine? What effects does magic and the gods have on technological and social progress? How prevalent is magic, and is it more powerful than science? While fantasy has an abundance of pre-made templates giving GMs an idea of what a fantasy world is supposed to look like, science fantasy is a much more amorphous genre. As much as I love Starfinder's setting, I also know a lot of people who prefer to make their own, and often feel at a loss as to how to make a science fantasy world feel cohesive and make best use of the genre's flavor. I think it would be really helpful to have a creative world-building section, a campaign builder, and some...

I agree and disagree at the same time, much like you say being science fantasy is a strength and weakness. While it is a vague genre, it's because it's just all forms of play mushed together. You can liken it to steampunk being "fantasy science fiction" seeing we've got technology creeping into a fantasy world. It's a matter of degrees. I couldn't see any guns appearing in LOTR, but in Pathfinderverse gunslingers are definitely present.

I like that you mention people make their own versions of the world, picking and taking the Pact Worlds lore for what they need and ignoring the parts that don't apply/sweeping them under the rug. I use this when making my own sessions, but I let the players know what is/isn't available, and that other things will be determined on the fly.

I do think a section that highlights this "slice of game world" idea to newer GMs would be real handy, but more than a "you're the GM, you decide!" paragraph or so.

Plus I love the idea of a product that makes introductions for newer players so easy and engaging.


Will rules for starship combat be included in the box?

Dark Archive

Lord Kakabel wrote:
Will rules for starship combat be included in the box?

A good question, but judging from the description i would lean towards a no.

It would be too complex to include and starship combat is only a minor (yet exciting) part of the game, which doesn't offer as much for the Mystic, Solarian & Technomancer as for the other classes.

There aren't even all seven base classes included.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

They might include some abridged rules for starship combat plus a couple of ships but not the rules for actually building ships. That'd save some page count.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Zaister wrote:
Will there be a way for Starfinder RPG subscribers to get the PDFs for this product, as there was with the Pathfinder Beginner Box?

I guess that no news is bad news in this case, but it would have been nice to get an official answer...


Pathfinder Maps Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

Does the pre order come with the PDF if you have all of the Starfinder subscriptions?

Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Starfinder Beginner Box All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.