Starfinder Adventure Path #1: Incident at Absalom Station (Dead Suns 1 of 6)

3.70/5 (based on 22 ratings)
Starfinder Adventure Path #1: Incident at Absalom Station (Dead Suns 1 of 6)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition $22.99

Add PDF $15.99

Add Non-Mint $22.99 $17.24

Facebook Twitter Email

A Ship Without a Crew

When a brutal gang war breaks out on a docking bay in Absalom Station, the player characters are recruited by the Starfinder Society to investigate the unexpected bloodshed. Delving into the station’s seedy Spike neighborhoods, the heroes confront the gangs and discover that both were paid to start the riot and that the true conflict is between two rival mining companies battling over a new arrival in orbit around the station: a mysteriously deserted ship and the strange asteroid it recovered from the Drift. To head off further violence, the heroes are asked to investigate the ship and discover what happened to its crew, as well as the nature of the asteroid it tows. But what the players find there will set in motion events that could threaten the entirety of the Pact Worlds and change the face of the galaxy forever...

This volume of Starfinder Adventure Path launches the Dead Suns Adventure Path and includes:

  • "Incident at Absalom Station," a Starfinder adventure for 1st-level characters, by Robert G. McCreary.
  • A gazetteer of Absalom Station, by James L. Sutter.
  • Magical relics inspired by the lost planet Golarion, by Owen K.C. Stephens.
  • An archive of new alien creatures, by Jason Keeley and Robert G. McCreary.
  • Statistics and deck plans for a new starship designed just for the player characters, plus details on a new planet in the Codex of Worlds, by Robert G. McCreary.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-961-5

Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Sanctioned Content

Incident at Absalom Station is sanctioned for use in Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild.
Download the Dead Suns Adventure Path rules and Chronicle sheets — (462 kb zip/PDF)

Note: This product is part of the Starfinder Adventure Path Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO7201


See Also:

1 to 5 of 22 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

3.70/5 (based on 22 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Decent but generic

3/5


Ring Side Report- RPG Review of Starfinder Adventure Path #1: Incident at Absalo

4/5

Originally posted at Throat Punch Games, a new idea everyday!

Product- Starfinder Adventure Path #1: Incident at Absalom Station (Dead Suns 1 of 6)
System- Starfinder
Producer-Paizo
Price- $23.00
TL; DR-Not the brightest star, but a decent start. 83%

Basics- ARE YOU READY FOR ADVENTURE!? Incident at Absalom Station kicks off the first Starfinder adventure path. Players step off the ship and into gangland warfare as their contact is gun downed within seconds of seeing him. Why? What dark secrets are at play? Who is involved? Also, this book contains a gazatier on Absolom station, several new monsters, and a whole new world for your players to play in.

Mechanics or Crunch-Ah the intro adventure! What can a level 1 nothing do on their first day? Not much, but LOTS OF SKILL CHECKS! Paizo has a history in their adventure paths of having players do lots of checks to get past those first few levels. This adventure is no different. It’s not bad, but once you get past the first fight, its checks. And, if your party doesn’t have the right checks, then its a slog. Past that its balanced and fun. After the checks, there are some simple space fights to get those mechanics out there, an exploration with some progressive fights to get those mechanics out there, and then we’re off to the next adventure book. Overall it’s balanced, but the standard paint by numbers of a new RPG needs to really get players into the system and teach them the rules can be a bit boring. 4.25/5

Theme or Fluff-Repeat after me-PLAYERS HATE FIGHTS WHERE THE ENEMIES SHOULD RUN AWAY. I’m not talking big bads, I’m talking regular grunts above the player’s level. Players want to KILL! This adventure starts with gang war above the players pay grade, and the players want everyone dead. It’s not supposed to happen, but my players are always EVIL, SPITE-FILLED MONSTERS who must kill EVERYONE! If that describes your players, then as written, they will be mad. For check section I mentioned above, the players need to talk to people, and if your party decides Charisma is for suckers, then that is a SUPER slog as my Cha 10 fighter attempts to talk to people as the -1 to -2 modifier other players hope for 20s to even get the middle of the ground information. Past that first fitful start, it’s a fun adventure as players can find the roles they need and better understand what they should do next. This adventure runs like a train-slow, clunky start but then smooth sailing the rest of the way. 4/5

Execution-PDF? Check! Hyperlinked? NOPE! Why not hyperlink this book? It’s 60+ pages! Next, Starfinder isn’t going to get the 64 page world building books that went with the Pathfinder line. That’s ok, but now my players don’t get as much world building as before as unless I print of sections and hand those out, they players either can read the book or spoil the adventure. The items are nice, the monsters are interesting and have great pictures, and the layout is well done. But, no new races! Part of the fun of Starfinder is if you want to be an intelligent mist, then we got stats for that baby! But, I’m not seeing that here. Throw me a new playable race each mod! There are a few other issues as some things just don’t fit well. The water world of Heicoron IV is ok, but there are no mentions of how I can play either of the races that live there. It feels thrown in. It’s not bad, but reference your other books or give me stats, so I can have a whole adventures with the fish people. This is a good but, but it has some flaws that do knock it down a bit 4.25/5

Summary-I’m ready for more, but I have some notes. Overall, I like what’s here. It’s done well, readable, and a good introduction to the mechanics of the system. The story itself has a few issues, but those issues are part of every adventure path’s start. I have more notes on the new execution of the Starfinder line. I want separate books and changes to how they are produced. New races, new tech in the books, and some focus will help improve this line. Will I get that? Most likely not. But, as a GM running a game, I think this is a good way to get your players rolling dice and understanding how to play Starfinder 83%


Good adventure ... if everyone doesn't die

3/5

There is a lot of good content in this adventure, but some major issues. It does a good job of introducing the setting and gives you a chance to uses some of the unique starfinder rules. The major down side is that there is one fight that is so incredibly hard that it almost guaranteed to kill a PC, if not all of them. Additionally, there is some major rail-roading (see spoiler for details).

Spoiler:
The ambassador gives the PCs a robot to record their exploits. The ambassador then broadcasts the robots footage to Absalom Station to make the PCs celebrities. Many of the PCs may not want to be celebrities, but they don’t get a choice. Even if they disabled the robot early on, the adventure says that the ambassador put a hidden tracking device on the PCs. A tracking device that the PCs never get any kind of check see being planted or find later. This would be forgivable if their celebrity status was a major plot point that needed to happen, but despite a little bit of mention in the beginning of book 2, this plot point is quickly dropped and forgotten.


Classically glamorous + mechanically ambitious = good fun!

5/5

This is a classic sci-fi adventure, with a modern twist towards the end, and perfectly crafted. We just started it and I am enjoying preparing it thoroughly as a GM. My players are loving it, will wait to hear their final impressions on it.
Starfinder is looking daaaam good.

P.s.: I've seen a number of low ratings... I don't understand most of them, they seem to have very weird unmet expectations.


Fine but hope it gets better

3/5

Nice adventure, if you set aside the fact that level 1 PCs are recruted for this crucial task.

The end is the weak part. It's a space dungeon. Fine with that. But it's horribly designed, as if casting aside decades of dungeon design. The rooms are barren, minuscule (go fit a sniper in a 25' room!), and often bypassable. Also, it's just fight after fight with no interesting way to affect them - eventhough some are ripe for social, mystical or technical interaction; would have been a good way to mitigate their difficulty.

Also, as usual, zero effort put to mitigate repeated rests. There's basically nothing that prevents the heroes from sleeping it out after each encounter.

Loot is also very weird. There's salvageable stuff in unexpected places (e.g. a bar), and none in others (a filled cargo hold).


1 to 5 of 22 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
451 to 500 of 543 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Zaister wrote:
Steel_Wind wrote:

For my part, the every-other-month aspect of the AP is forgivable. The 64 page decision layered on top of that is not. And yes, it really is a problem.

We have an AP volume that I've read cover to cover five times over the past week. I've been working on significant ways of lengthening it - because it is plainly too short. That doesn't make it bad. It's mostly pretty good, actually.

But it is too short and pretending it isn't does everyone a disservice.

Too short by what measure? Personally, I don't mind, actually that the adventures are shorter than what we are used from Pathfinder APs. I'd be happy if an AP isn't a two-year commitment for my group.

But how can an adventure be too short by an absolute measure, especially when it's just one of six parts?

I think it's reasonable for people to have come at this expecting a "Starfinder AP" is "like a Pathfinder AP but for Starfinder". This product line didn't spring out of a vacuum - it seems to me that comparisons with PF are inevitable (especially in the context of the post Steel Wind was replying to).

Having said that, I personally prefer the shorter, snappier feel. I sometimes feel some PF AP instalments drag a bit. Even if this was bulked up to 96 pages down the track, I'd be hoping a lot of that expansion went towards expanding the backmatter articles).

Liberty's Edge

Zaister wrote:
Steel_Wind wrote:

For my part, the every-other-month aspect of the AP is forgivable. The 64 page decision layered on top of that is not. And yes, it really is a problem.

But it is too short and pretending it isn't does everyone a disservice.

Too short by what measure?

Because if you game weekly for a 4-6 hour session, and start Dead Suns sometime in the next 3 weeks or so, your group is going to catch up to the point where you can't run your Dead Suns game because you will have played to the end of the released material.

Your group will be not playing Dead Suns weekly; or, you will be adding material to the campaign in an effort to prevent this result. If a GM has to do that, that's a consequence of a product design that is unprecedented at Paizo.

This hasn't been a problem with any AP release so far really. It wouldn't have been a problem if it was 64 pages monthly. It wouldn't have been a problem if it was 96 pages every other month, either.

But it IS a problem with 64 pages every other month - because there is not enough meat on the bones of this particular cow.

That's why.

Quote:


But how can an adventure be too short by an absolute measure, especially when it's just one of six parts? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

Because the issue is whether there is enough meat on the bones of the cow to prevent people from "catching up" to the release schedule. That's a particular problem in a RPG genre where there are so few alternatives to the official AP.

Quote:


Also, don't you think that calling the publication schedule "unforgivable" is maybe a bit harsh?

Harsh? Harsh is an emotional word or conclusion. If it were to be used fairly, it would have to be assessing the emotional impact of the word it purported to quote.

Except I didn't use that word you are "quoting", did I?

Because you are putting quotes around a word I didn't say, in regards to a another word I also didn't use.

While my language might have that conclusory meaning - when you start putting quotes around a word that I didn't say concerning another word I didn't use, you are cherry picking dishonestly in an effort to manipulate emotions. This is especially so given the other darts and laurels I made concerning the game which you chose to ignore.

When you put quotes around a word I didn't use because the word you prefer to quote has a different emotional effect - you are being dishonest. I happen do it for a living and I well understand when somebody is employing those tools against me. Stop it.

If you can't make your point without distorting and twisting other gamer's words - don't make that point at all. I know spin when I see it; that was spin.

The Exchange

I know this just came out and all, but are there plans to restock the print version of this? I was going to try ordering it, but it's already Unavailable...


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Prismatic Codex wrote:
I know this just came out and all, but are there plans to restock the print version of this? I was going to try ordering it, but it's already Unavailable...

Yes. It's on backorder, although it's likely to be a few months away (issue 2 is likely to release before issue 1 is back in stock).


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Steel_Wind wrote:
When you put quotes around a word I didn't use because the word you prefer to quote has a different emotional effect - you are being dishonest. I happen do it for a living and I well understand when somebody is employing those tools against me.

Can I ask what your job is? :o


1 person marked this as a favorite.

A DJ maybe, since he's an expert on spinning.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Steel_Wind wrote:

Because if you game weekly for a 4-6 hour session, and start Dead Suns sometime in the next 3 weeks or so, your group is going to catch up to the point where you can't run your Dead Suns game because you will have played to the end of the released material.

Your group will be not playing Dead Suns weekly; or, you will be adding material to the campaign in an effort to prevent this result. If a GM has to do that, that's a consequence of a product design that is unprecedented at Paizo.

I'm not sure at all the expectation for adventure paths is that it's the standard for gaming groups to play along as they are published. In fact, I belive, that only a tiny minority actually do that.

I'm also sure that even though my groups play weekly, we almost certainly would not be able to catch up.

Steel_Wind wrote:

Except I didn't use that word you are "quoting", did I?

Because you are putting quotes around a word I didn't say, in regards to a another word I also didn't use.

Well you said A is forgivable, B is not, which is really not that different from saying B is unforgivable, isn't it? But I didn't use the quotes to indicate a verbatim citation, for that I'd use the QUOTE tag. It wasn't meant that way, and I apologize if it looked like that.

Liberty's Edge

will the backorder be first edition, or a reprint, with errata, etc?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I'm almost positive it will be an identical printing.

Pretty sure they've ordered it already, which means no time for collecting errata, let alone including them.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Although I haven't heard anything official as to whether it will be a revised printing - that's just my guess.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I'm pretty sure it'll be the first, they ran out before anyone else even got their first issue.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Steel_Wind wrote:
Starfinder, unexpectedly, has an XP track that has abandoned the Medium Track and has reverted to the Fast Track (and only the Fast Track) in part to cover up the fact that an AP volume is ~32-33 pages of adventure, instead of ~48-50.

[citation needed] on the "in part to cover up" portion.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Steve Geddes wrote:


Can I ask what your job is? :o

I'm a lawyer (litigator). I cross-examine people for a living :)

Zaister wrote:


I'm not sure at all the expectation for adventure paths is that it's the standard for gaming groups to play along as they are published. In fact, I believe, that only a tiny minority actually do that.

I'm also sure that even though my groups play weekly, we almost certainly would not be able to catch up.

Based on the existing data sample, I agree with you. I don't think that *currently*, most groups play an AP as they are published. I agree that only a tiny minority do that right now, too.

But there is a reason for that. It's because there are many, many alternatives to attempting to do just that. With Paizo, Beginning with Age of Worms and moving forward, GMs have TWENTY-TWO complete APs to choose from, rather than start, say, Ruins of Azlant, right away.

And a Pathfinder AP takes a great deal of time to play, too. So yes, the chances of this being a problem in their other AP lines are small.

But once upon a time, when Age of Worms was first released in the pages of Dungeon, it was expected then (hoped, even) that hundreds of subscribers would be playing as the issues were released, and there was a danger that some might catch up.

And some did.

It was a small number though and - well - it was D&D 3.5. There was lots of others modules to play for 3.xx before taking into account the wealth of material from previous editions of the game. So, viewed in this context, not a big deal.

With Starfinder, matters are different, There is precious little SciFant to draw upon which fits the rules or the setting. Indeed, there is, in comparison to the wealth of material for D&D, comparatively none for SciFant settings, and even not all that much for Sci Fi either.

So in order to play the new game everybody seems to be buying, people are going to either have to make this stuff up on its own, or the desire to play the AP (and a handful of PFS scenarios) will be comparatively much higher.

So while your observation of what people actually do with D&D and Pathfinder is spot on correct, I don't think it holds in the case of Starfinder and the dearth of material the community has in comparison to the embarrassment of riches we have to draw upon to easily port adventures for FRPGs.

And that's a problem, in my view.

Distant Scholar wrote:
Steel_Wind wrote:

Starfinder, unexpectedly, has an XP track that has abandoned the Medium Track and has reverted to the Fast Track (and only the Fast Track) in part to cover up the fact that an AP volume is ~32-33 pages of adventure, instead of ~48-50.

[citation needed] on the "in part to cover up" portion.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2uid3?Starfinder-XP-Progression-Fast-Track-is-t he#16

Me. I'm the citation. That's my conclusion. I can look at the product and do the math (and I have). Seems to me there was a good reason that Pathfinder created a Medium XP Track and switched to it as the default speed in its Pathfinder AP lines. Leveling under the Fast Track was seen as too fast for the tastes of most players and GMs who were playing D&D 3.5. It didn't linger near the "good" part of the game, the so-called "sweet spot" where more play of APs typically took place, too.

We know how long it takes to level under the Fast Track and with the base XP rewards by CR. We've known that for about 16 years. After changing the rules in Pathfinder to the Medium Track, Starfinder changes it back to Fast *only*? Without an explanation? Why ever, would that be?

You know my view on the explanation for it, at least.

I believe that the length of the AP volumes has a lot to do with that. If the game was defaulting to Medium Track instead, yes, the Dead Suns AP as currently written would end up at ~10th based on XP, not ~12th. I think there are issues there in terms of marketing that Paizo preferred to avoid. They aren't wrong for making that decision; it's not an Evil Plot. But it is a good marketing reason to reverse course.

Now, it may ALSO be that the belief with Starfinder among Paizo devs is that the sweet spot in the game is not so clearly staked out at the 5th to 9th level zone as it is in Pathfinder, so they want people to reach higher levels, more quickly. While I doubt this, I admit the possibility that it might be so. I suggest there might also be utility in changing the default leveling rates to players to provide a different game experience for players than they are used to in Pathfinder, too. The list of other additional potential reasons is not closed.

Which is why I suggest the motive was only "in part" to cover up the potential "level shortage" a Medium Track might create in the official AP, as opposed to the reason.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I agree that with Dead Suns being the only AP available right out of the gate, probably more people will be "playing along". I also think that the bi-monthly schedule still will be fast enough for most groups.

I do not disagree that the shorter adventures may be a reason for changing to the fast XP track. But your entitlement of Paizo having to give us a reason for the change rubs me the wrong way, and I feel it's a bit disingenuous of you to insinuate that Paizo are "covering up" that adventures are shorter, when this was explicitly called out when Starfinder was first announced.

Liberty's Edge

Zaister wrote:

I agree that with Dead Suns being the only AP available right out of the gate, probably more people will be "playing along". I also think that the bi-monthly schedule still will be fast enough for most groups.

I do not disagree that the shorter adventures may be a reason for changing to the fast XP track. But your entitlement of Paizo having to give us a reason for the change rubs me the wrong way, and I feel it's a bit disingenuous of you to insinuate that Paizo are "covering up" that adventures are shorter, when this was explicitly called out when Starfinder was first announced.

I am not suggesting they covered up the length of the AP volumes -- but now that you are on the subject, to be blunt, they didn't exactly trumpet it either.

Look up and read above. Where is the mention that the book is 64 pages? As a longtime customer of Pathfinder AP, don't you think I might reasonably expect it to be 96 pages, too?

I put it to you that most of Paizo's customers will anticipate that it is 96 pages, and not 64.

[Moving on.]

No, my use of the word "cover up" part relates to the level range provided by a 6 volume ~32 to 33 page adventure path, as opposed to one where it is 48-50 pages of adventure.

Most Pathfinder APs go to 16th-17th level. If you reduce the adv length by a third, you'll get 10th to 11th, based upon the same leveling rate per adventure page over the long haul of the AP.

Paizo's first Pathfinder AP, Council of Thieves, went only to about 12th-13th level. Customers complained. Paizo never did it again. (For my part, I was okay with it.)

Switching to the Fast Track allows the developer to address that problem presented by less text to provide a greater level range over the pages that have been allotted to it.

It's not a "cover up" like Watergate. It's to "cover up", like a hole in the plaster of your wall. It papers over the hole; it "covers up" the problem.

Community & Digital Content Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Folks, can we please take the discussion of the overall release cycle and size of the Starfinder Adventure Path to this subforum? While relevant to Incident at Absalom Station, it's not explicitly about this individual adventure.


Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

Steel_wind, you are a passionate member of this community and have served it well, and I very much appreciate it. You are also a lawyer, and so you know the importance of word choice =)

Anyhoo, before too long, methinks there will be a dearth of adventures, mayhap folks will even create their own and share!

[[Sorry Chris was typing the same time you were typing!]


Okay after looking at the art some more I just gotta say it.

Garaggakal. Onesies.


There is not so many maps in module but any idea if there is plans to have interactive maps in pdf format also available as there is in many pathfinder modules?


I'm brand new to GMing, with Starfinder being my first game. I was wondering, where do I buy the maps that are in this book?


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
William Allen 416 wrote:
I'm brand new to GMing, with Starfinder being my first game. I was wondering, where do I buy the maps that are in this book?

As far as I can tell the maps from Incident at Absalom Station are not available for purchase, so you'll be either enlarging them and printing them out or sketching some reasonable facsimile onto a flip mat.


Yes, on maps - Is there any avenue of getting the "player view" version without the markers (numbers, letters, etc.) on them? Or do I need to dust off the old Photoshop fingers?

Liberty's Edge

Frames Janco wrote:
Yes, on maps - Is there any avenue of getting the "player view" version without the markers (numbers, letters, etc.) on them? Or do I need to dust off the old Photoshop fingers?

A simple copy+paste of the image from the PDF into GIMP will show you that the layer being copied is separate from the layer with any lettering of numbering on it.

In short, no need to dig out Photoshop for that purpose.

Fixing up the unfortunate crop at the top of the Fusion Queen map, however, will take a good long while in Photosop to recreate the 1/3rd of the top row that has been cropped from the map. Because of the encounter setup and wall placement, you can't just crop out the rest of the affected Row as the NPC is literally fighting from that exact position.

It's a rush to get these products printed for Gencon and consequently, errors do happen.


Steel_Wind wrote:


A simple copy+paste of the image from the PDF into GIMP will show you that the layer being copied is separate from the layer with any lettering of numbering on it.

Thanks for the tip!

The Exchange

Just curious as to what happened to the Interactive Maps we've come to expect with the Pathfinder Adventure Paths? Will we see them return? I appreciate Steel_Wind's suggestion on GIMP but I sure miss those interactive maps. :-)

Paizo Employee Customer Service Manager

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Note: As the physical number of copies of AP #1 have dwindled in the warehouse and we take stock of our warehouse after Gen Con and August shipping, we've been able to uncover enough extra copies to cover folks who have subscribed to the Starfinder Adventure and requested backordered copies of AP#1. If you have questions about this, please take them to the August shipping thread:
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ugj5?August-Gen-Con-2017-New-Release-and-Month ly

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

Is there going to be a Player's Guide PDF like for the Pathfinder APs? I do like the adventure except for ...

Movie plot spoiler:
Stellar Degenerator?? really..why didn't you just call it the Starkiller...I'm definitely changing it in my campaign...the name just doesn't roll off the tongue


Nope, no player's guide.

Scarab Sages

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Rysky the Dark Solarion wrote:

Nope, no player's guide.

Unfortunate for the simple fact that it is assumed that the players are assumed to be there to join the Starfinder society? Why? What in their past warrants it. Why are they even together?

I always liked options -- with attendant traits or in-game bonuses to give the players.

If the character creation had a system like Fate or Traveller or Cypher that brings the companions together during creation that could help as well.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber

The callbacks to Golarion items and organizations are great, but did this AP really need the blatant reference to real-life politics in Absalom Station?

The Exchange

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
RocMeAsmodeus wrote:
The callbacks to Golarion items and organizations are great, but did this AP really need the blatant reference to real-life politics in Absalom Station?

Where is this reference?


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Mactaka wrote:
Rysky the Dark Solarion wrote:
Nope, no player's guide.
Unfortunate for the simple fact that it is assumed that the players are assumed to be there to join the Starfinder society? Why? What in their past warrants it. Why are they even together?

Reading this makes me feel like a grognard. "Back in my day we made up our own back stories and reasons to be together. And we didn't get bonuses for it neither!"


2 people marked this as a favorite.
GeneticDrift wrote:
RocMeAsmodeus wrote:
The callbacks to Golarion items and organizations are great, but did this AP really need the blatant reference to real-life politics in Absalom Station?
Where is this reference?

The "Strong Absalom Movement" mentioned in the society section is an ethno-nationalist movement that wants to kick all of the non-Golarion-based species off of Absalom Station, with fringe elements that engage in "xenophobic terrorism."

I can see some parallels to things going on in the United States right now, and that's all that I'll say on the matter.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Hill Giant wrote:
Mactaka wrote:
Rysky the Dark Solarion wrote:
Nope, no player's guide.
Unfortunate for the simple fact that it is assumed that the players are assumed to be there to join the Starfinder society? Why? What in their past warrants it. Why are they even together?
Reading this makes me feel like a grognard. "Back in my day we made up our own back stories and reasons to be together. And we didn't get bonuses for it neither!"

True. But a good player's guide also helps with expectation management. For example, warning people from being a priest (or similarly devout follower) of undead hating faiths such as Iomedae, Phrasma, or Sarenrae might have been a good thing.

Ventnor wrote:
GeneticDrift wrote:
RocMeAsmodeus wrote:
The callbacks to Golarion items and organizations are great, but did this AP really need the blatant reference to real-life politics in Absalom Station?
Where is this reference?

The "Strong Absalom Movement" mentioned in the society section is an ethno-nationalist movement that wants to kick all of the non-Golarion-based species off of Absalom Station, with fringe elements that engage in "xenophobic terrorism."

I can see some parallels to things going on in the United States right now, and that's all that I'll say on the matter.

However, it is neither a new nor an American problem. Similar movements shown up throughout the histories of many nations.


Lord Fyre wrote:
Ventnor wrote:
GeneticDrift wrote:
RocMeAsmodeus wrote:
The callbacks to Golarion items and organizations are great, but did this AP really need the blatant reference to real-life politics in Absalom Station?
Where is this reference?

The "Strong Absalom Movement" mentioned in the society section is an ethno-nationalist movement that wants to kick all of the non-Golarion-based species off of Absalom Station, with fringe elements that engage in "xenophobic terrorism."

I can see some parallels to things going on in the United States right now, and that's all that I'll say on the matter.

However, it is neither new nor an American problem. Similar movements shown up throughout the histories of many nations.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I can also see how someone could read a political message into that particular part of worldbuilding.


Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Would it help to think of it as a Superhero reference? Wonderwoman versus the bad guys?

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
RocMeAsmodeus wrote:
The callbacks to Golarion items and organizations are great, but did this AP really need the blatant reference to real-life politics in Absalom Station?

Well, at least it isn't Irofang Invasion's foreword.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Companion, Lost Omens, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Lord Fyre wrote:
Hill Giant wrote:
Mactaka wrote:
Rysky the Dark Solarion wrote:
Nope, no player's guide.
Unfortunate for the simple fact that it is assumed that the players are assumed to be there to join the Starfinder society? Why? What in their past warrants it. Why are they even together?
Reading this makes me feel like a grognard. "Back in my day we made up our own back stories and reasons to be together. And we didn't get bonuses for it neither!"

True. But a good player's guide also helps with expectation management. For example, warning people from being a priest (or similarly devout follower) of undead hating faiths such as Iomedae, Phrasma, or Sarenrae might have been a good thing.

Why? There is nothing particularly wrong about being a part of those organizations. It might even prove valuable in the later installments.

I do agree that players need to read up on the setting material, though. They should understand that undead-hating organizations don't murder ambassadors in cold blood.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I liked the Ironfang forewords.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
KingOfAnything wrote:
Lord Fyre wrote:
Hill Giant wrote:
Mactaka wrote:
Rysky the Dark Solarion wrote:
Nope, no player's guide.
Unfortunate for the simple fact that it is assumed that the players are assumed to be there to join the Starfinder society? Why? What in their past warrants it. Why are they even together?
Reading this makes me feel like a grognard. "Back in my day we made up our own back stories and reasons to be together. And we didn't get bonuses for it neither!"

True. But a good player's guide also helps with expectation management. For example, warning people from being a priest (or similarly devout follower) of undead hating faiths such as Iomedae, Phrasma, or Sarenrae might have been a good thing.

Why? There is nothing particularly wrong about being a part of those organizations. It might even prove valuable in the later installments.

I do agree that players need to read up on the setting material, though. They should understand that undead-hating organizations don't murder ambassadors in cold blood.

Pointing out that playing a follower of one of those faiths would lead to conflict at various parts of the AP would have been a good thing to note in a hypothetical guide.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Paladinosaur wrote:
RocMeAsmodeus wrote:
The callbacks to Golarion items and organizations are great, but did this AP really need the blatant reference to real-life politics in Absalom Station?
Well, at least it isn't Irofang Invasion's foreword.

What about Ironfang Invasion's foreword?


Zaister wrote:
Paladinosaur wrote:
RocMeAsmodeus wrote:
The callbacks to Golarion items and organizations are great, but did this AP really need the blatant reference to real-life politics in Absalom Station?
Well, at least it isn't Irofang Invasion's foreword.
What about Ironfang Invasion's foreword?

It is very well written and encouraging.


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

RocMeAsmodeus made it sound as if it was more political than what was perceived as political in the Absalom Station gazetteer. But I can't find anything of the kind in that foreword.


Zaister wrote:
RocMeAsmodeus made it sound as if it was more political than what was perceived as political in the Absalom Station gazetteer. But I can't find anything of the kind in that foreword.

Issue 3, Assault on Longshadow.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Hm, I don't know, did people actually take offense at that?


Would not surprise me -_-


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Ok then, but enough of that, it doesn't realy belong in this product thread.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Zaister wrote:
Ok then, but enough of that, it doesn't realy belong in this product thread.

Or on these messageboards. Paizo have asked us not to discuss real world politics at all on the site.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber
Steve Geddes wrote:
Zaister wrote:
Ok then, but enough of that, it doesn't realy belong in this product thread.
Or on these messageboards. Paizo have asked us not to discuss real world politics at all on the site.

It is for this exact reason that I was hoping that Paizo would move away from political references in their products.

451 to 500 of 543 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Starfinder Adventure Path #1: Incident at Absalom Station (Dead Suns 1 of 6) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.