GM Lorenzo's #10-00: The Hao Jin Cataclysm (Tier 5-6) PbP Gameday VIII (Inactive)

Game Master Lawrence Smith 2

Maps, Handouts, and More!


301 to 350 of 571 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

The Society has secured the Eternal Lake, and the kappas of the lake profess eternal gratitude and heap praise upon the Pathfinders.

Effect: The group gains one free use of the Aid Token’s Timely Inspiration benefit that the PCs can activate at their discretion.

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

"Umm, my flesh isn't as tasty as it looks, I assure you!" Dale tries to dissuade the mummy from snacking on him. He keeps his wand at the ready in case it decides to after all.

Readied Attack vs Mummy if things get hairy...:

UMD: Wand of MM CL3rd vs Wight: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21
Magic Missile: Caster Check/Damage: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 172d4 + 2 ⇒ (2, 1) + 2 = 5

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

"Please cease your aura of fear and walk one mile to the southwest."

Grand Lodge

|| Spell Templates

**OVERSEER ANNOUNCEMENT**

The repair teams have patched the rift at Round Mountain. Be on the lookout! Before closing the rift, the team glimpsed a mysterious sailing vessel lurking in the Astral Plane. Round Mountain is secured!

In addition, the repair teams have patched the rift at Slave Mountain. Many slaves are now free, and they have pledged their aid! Slave Mountain is also secured!

GMs, the Round Mountain Secured (page 10) and Slave Mountain Secured (page 11) conditions are both in effect.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

GM Screen:
Unraveling Mummy CHA check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13

Aroden issues commands to the unraveling mummy, who gives them due consideration...
(Aroden, please make the opposed CHA check DC13.)

Map & Images

Effects:
Haste

Round 2
Bold
may act.

Quillen
Kahwen
(Paralyzed for 2 more rounds)
Kimiya (Paralyzed for 3 more rounds)
Aroden (opposed CHA check DC13.)
N'Aranav [-4 (-9 with neg. level); 1 Negative Level]
---
Unraveling Mummy (-25)
---
Dale (Readied Action)

Quillen, Kahwen, Kimiya, Aroden, and N'Aranav, you're up!

The Exchange

Male Galtan Dictator/Thug 6 | HP 56 | AC: 24(29)* (T 17, FF 18) | CMD 21* | F: +6, R: +14, W: +3* | Init +7 | Per +10

Quillen stands poised to strike the mummy, hesitating just long enough to realize that Aroden is going to command it to go elsewhere.

He glances to the others.

"Uh, iz zis alright? Ze mummy can go? Zere are no Galtans to ze zouthwest, eh?"

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

The Society has secured Round Mountain, and the spherical mountain stabilizes. The ratfolk emerge to aid the Pathfinders in navigating the tapestry.

Effect: At the beginning of one encounter, the PCs can activate this benefit to increase their land speed by 10 feet for the duration of the encounter.

As soon as the Society secures Slave Mountain, the freed slaves join the Pathfinders in battling the malevolent forces in the tapestry.

Effect: At the beginning of one encounter, the PCs can activate this benefit to gain a number of temporary hit points equal to 3 × their APL (minimum 6 temporary hit points); these last until the end of the encounter.

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

Kahwen can do nothing more than shudder as Quillen makes short work of the remaining wight and the drama goes on with the Mummy. Of course, he shudders so hard that a trio of feathers drop off his body and drift to the ground.

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

Cha: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
"It is truly important."

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

"I hear and obey, Master," the mummy responds, lumbering away...

A few moments later, Kahwen and Kimiya regain control of their bodies; however, N'Aranav suffers the lingering effects of the wight's draining touch.

The broken ziggurat was the site of countless bloody rituals. The southwest corner of the structure has collapsed, revealing an interior stone door covered in runes. Several lizardfolk bodies lie nearby.

Your lizardfolk guides cry out, "Oosthic sent these brothers and sisters to retrieve whatever lies beyond the door."

Examining the ziggurat's exterior, it doesn't take long to realized that before you can safely enter the chamber, you must disable its wards. Red, white, and green runes on the door might give clues as to the nature of the magical wards protecting the ziggurat from intrusion.

Read Magic, Aklo, Draconic, or Undercommon to read the runes.

Red Runes:
The Blood Ward runes read, "Warm blood feeds the cold god." Knowledge (religion) or Heal check

White Runes:
The Mind Ward runes read, "Pure minds speak in silence." Knowledge (arcana or history) check

Green Runes:
The Scale Ward runes read, "False skin emboldens the true.”
Knowledge (local or nature) or Bluff check

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

Aklo, the language of abominations from beyond reality is familiar to Aroden... he doesn't know why.
But he translates.
"Warm blood feeds the cold god."
Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14

"Pure minds speak in silence."
Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (5) + 16 = 21

"False skin emboldens the true."
Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

Well that's a lousy set of rolls. Dale, want to take a shot at these?

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Aroden fails to decipher the meanings of the Blood Ward and the Scale Ward.

The wizard does manage to crack the mystery of the Mind Ward. He recalls that serpentfolk are masters of telepathy and view creatures lacking telepathy as beings fit only for servitude. Silence is sacred to them, and they prefer magical forms of communication.

"To deactivate this ward, a creature must use telepathy, sign language, or a supernatural or spell-like form of communication (such as message) to successfully communicate with another creature."

In addition to merely translating the runes, Aroden lets his companions know how they might be able to decipher more about the other two wards.

The Blood Ward: Knowledge (religion) or Heal check
The Scale Ward: Knowledge (local or nature) or Bluff check

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

"Sorry, Companions. That Mummy was terrifying. I am impressed that you were able to deal with it so easily," he apologizes then compliments Aroden.

Kahwen learned Draconic after fighting a dragon and some kobolds during while trying to seal a rift to another dimension. He notices the tell tale runes of the language on the seals and steps up to read them, cocking his head to one side then the other thoughtfully.

He only feels comfortable trying to deal with one of the riddles.

I have the same bonus in all three skills so...

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

It seems like he might still be a little shaken by his interaction with the mummy, though.

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya agrees with Kahwen, "that was a bit harrowing. I'm used to things trying to hit back, I need a better way to prevent that type of assault."

He examines the runes and reads them aloud to the group, "I can read them but don't know enough to decipher how to proceed. Although that reminds me of a story from back in Taldor ..." Kimiya continues to relay some super topical story that he makes up on the spot.

Bluff - Scale Ward: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

The Exchange

Male Galtan Dictator/Thug 6 | HP 56 | AC: 24(29)* (T 17, FF 18) | CMD 21* | F: +6, R: +14, W: +3* | Init +7 | Per +10

Quillen lights up a cigarette as the "scholars" ponder over the rune keys.

"What waz zat? False zkin? Hmmm..."

As he draws the smoky essence into his lungs, Quillen contemplates the mystery himself.

Know Local: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

Grand Lodge

Male CG Vanaran Bloodrager 5/Brawler 1 | HP: 26/57| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8, CMD: 22 | F: +14, R: +7, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +8, SM: +5 | Speed 60 ft fly| Bloodrage: 4/14 | Flex: 0/4 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, bloodrage, resist fire 10, fly

N'Aranav studies the The Scale Ward and furrows his considerable brow.

knowledge local aid: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

Dale quickly tucks his wand away as the bearded one wins the battle of wills with the Mummy, ordering it away. "Wow, I'll be sure to put that in my notes, very good work!" He quickly studies his frozen companions, at least until they become unfrozen. "Oh excellent, I was hoping we wouldn't have to get into a more 'invasive' investigation on why you weren't moving!"

Approaching the destroyed temple and sets of runes has Dale's interests peaking. So much so that he wants his mind to be working at maximum intensity for the occasion! He draws forth yet another flask from a pocket inside his jacket. He pinches his nose and downs the contents as quickly as possible. "GAHHH!" He wails, shaking his head in disgust. "One of these days I'll work on the taste of that." He shivers with a chill from a cold breeze and you swear the hair on his head just grew an inch!

GM:

Consuming intellect boosting Cognatogen. +4 INT 2 STR Damage, +2 Natural Armor: 50mins.

Cognatogen (Su) (Ultimate Magic pg. 15): The alchemist gains the ability to create a cognatogen, a mutagen-like mixture that heightens one mental ability score at the expense of a physical ability score. If the cognatogen enhances his Intelligence, it applies a penalty to his Strength. If it enhances his Wisdom, it applies a penalty to his Dexterity. If it enhances his Charisma, it applies a penalty to his Constitution. Otherwise, this ability works just like the mutagen ability (including the natural armor bonus). Anytime the alchemist would prepare a mutagen, he may instead prepare a cognatogen. All limitations of mutagens apply to cognatogens as if they were the same substance—an alchemist can only maintain one mutagen or cognatogen at a time, a cognatogen that is not in an alchemist’s possession becomes inert, drinking a cognatogen makes a non-alchemist sick, and so on. When the effect of the cognatogen ends, the alchemist takes 2 points of ability damage to the ability score penalized by the cognatogen. The infuse mutagen discovery and the persistent mutagen class ability apply to cognatogens.

The furry man blinks a few times and pushes the hair from his eyes as he approaches the downed lizardmen, as well as the runes. "Before we get into too much detail on these runes let me at least check on these poor cold blooded souls." He bends down and checks them for signs of life, as well as possible cause of death, before working on the runes.
Take 10 on Heal 25

He reads the runes aloud in Draconic, mostly for his own benefit as he works through them in order. He recites a litany of religious ceremonies, historical events, and local regional knowledge as he postulates the likely meanings of the phrases.

Take 10 on each: 26 Knowledge Religion, History, and Local.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Putting your eclectic assortment of heads together, you ultimately solve the mysteries of the other two sets of runes.

Deciphering the red runes of the Blood Ward informs you that serpentfolk often sacrificed 'lesser' creatures to their cruel gods.
To deactivate this ward, a creature must touch blood taken from a warmblooded creature to the ziggurat.

With a proper understanding of the green runes of the Scale Ward, you recall that serpentfolk are masters of disguise, even using rituals to permanently alter their appearance.
To deactivate this ward, a creature must approach within 30 feet wearing a magical or non-magical disguise (including an altered form) and succeed at an Disguise check.

Aroden had already figured out what must be done to deactivate the Mind Ward.
To deactivate this ward, a creature must use telepathy, sign language, or a supernatural or spell-like form of communication (such as message) to successfully communicate with another creature.

To safely unseal the doors of the broken ziggurat, you must now deactivate the seals.

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

"The Blood Ward we can pass easily.
I think I am the only one who can pass the Mind Ward. I can use my ring to cast Message.
Unfortunately, that means I cannot use my ring to cast Alter Self, so we will be relying on our best attempts at Disguise."

I guess untrained Disguise checks all around, somebody might make it.

Aroden casts Message from his bonded item and asks "So who wants to spill a drop of blood to pass the Blood Ward? I believe our nagaji friends cannot help here."

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya contemplates the wards, aware there's little he can do to help. He focuses specifically on the blood ward and how he might defeat it. He rubs some dirt on his skin to try and hide the scales and puts bits of cotton in his mouth to obscure his teeth and tongue. It dawns on him that he might be focusing on he wrong ward and he turns to the Scale Ward, approaching on quick feet.

Disguise to look less nagaji like: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

I'm actually not sure if I can do anything about the Blood Ward. I assume nagaji are cold blooded? Bruced! I hit refresh and apparently my thinking was correct.

Grand Lodge

Male CG Vanaran Bloodrager 5/Brawler 1 | HP: 26/57| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8, CMD: 22 | F: +14, R: +7, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +8, SM: +5 | Speed 60 ft fly| Bloodrage: 4/14 | Flex: 0/4 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, bloodrage, resist fire 10, fly

"My blood is quite unique. I volunteer as tribute. Someone cut me."

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

"Hold still, Friend N'Aranav," Kahwen says, approaching with his sword drawn. He handles the blade with impressive delicacy for such a big weapon.

Hoping I don't need attack of damage rolls..

I think we have to actually use a Disguise Kit for the Scale Ward. Can we buy one from the mobile commissary? I'm also going to check my chronicles when I get home...a disguise or transformation spell seems like just the sort of one time boon that might be handed out.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Aroden casts message and whispers something to the rest of the team. The white runes of the Mind Ward fade, inactive.

Kimiya disguises himself and approaches the broken ziggurat. When he gets within 30ft of the sealed door, the green runes of the Scale Ward fade, inactive.

N'Aranav offers himself as a blood sacrifice. There's a brief struggle, as the entire team volunteers at once to cut him. It's all over in seconds, and the vanaran, covered in half a dozen minor cuts, approaches the ziggurat and touches a bloody index finger to the stones. The red runes of the Blood Ward fade, inactive.

As soon as you disable all three wards, the heavy, rune-covered door of the ziggurat slowly opens with a deep rumble of scraping stone on stone.

The lizardfolk guides send for Oosthic. Who arrives as quickly as her arthritic, bow-legged, staff-assisted gait can carry her.

The open door reveals within the ziggurat a chamber containing ancient tomes of magical knowledge.

"Thank you, once again, Pathfinders," Oosthic says. "I will share some of this lore with the Pathfinder Society."

This unlocks the special boost option for the Provide Spellcasting Aid Token.
Success reported to the Overseer GM.

Grand Lodge

|| Spell Templates

**OVERSEER ANNOUNCEMENT**

Our new allies on the patchwork plane have granted the repair teams access to the rift, and it is repaired. These allies can help in the coming battles. The Patchwork Allies are secured!

GMs, the Patchwork Allies Secured condition on page 11 is in effect!

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

Dale oogles the magical tomes of knowledge from Oosthic's side "Need any assistance reading those? I know many languages.. and am quite a fast reader and note taker!" He waggles his eyebrows and tries to contain himself.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

After the Pathfinders secured the cooperation of the Patchwork Allies, the Society’s new allies join the fray.
Effect: The group gains one free use of the Aid Token’s Allied Offensive benefit that the PCs can activate at their discretion.

The Exchange

Male Galtan Dictator/Thug 6 | HP 56 | AC: 24(29)* (T 17, FF 18) | CMD 21* | F: +6, R: +14, W: +3* | Init +7 | Per +10

Quillen crosses his arms and smiles, satisfied with the ritualized scarring of the group's vanaran.

"It makes you, ehh.. look more dignified, mon amie."

Any of those benefits able to restore a negative level?

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya is glad for a bit of a break. "Let's see if the healer can help you N'Aranav. You honored us with your tribute, let us make you whole."

Grand Lodge

Male CG Vanaran Bloodrager 5/Brawler 1 | HP: 26/57| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8, CMD: 22 | F: +14, R: +7, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +8, SM: +5 | Speed 60 ft fly| Bloodrage: 4/14 | Flex: 0/4 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, bloodrage, resist fire 10, fly

N'Aranav shrugs, not really realizing that he has lost a step.

Grand Lodge

**OVERSEER ANNOUNCEMENT**

Aram Zey stands once more before the tapestry, a renewed light in his sunken eyes. “The Hao Jin Tapestry is stable at last. While you were performing your duties, I have reached a better understanding of the chaos you faced. The tapestry is still in dire condition. Lacking Hao Jin’s own magic, the tapestry has been using small pieces of departing souls to maintain itself over the centuries. This mechanism is depleting the tapestry’s water sources and spawning undead horrors. However, thanks to you, we have time to search for a more permanent fix. For now, get some rest, and—”

The former Master of Spells staggers back as a three-foot tear down the center of the fabric gouts sudden flame. Pathfinder agents flock around him, scrambling to assess the damage. A vein pops out on his forehead, and he yells sharply, “Pathfinders! What have you done?” He cuts himself short, taking a deep breath and muttering to himself, “Keep it together. Don’t take it out on the agents.” Frowning, he returns his gaze to the tapestry, his eyes darting wildly across its surface. When he speaks again, his voice is low and determined, “This new rift is no accident. Something is attacking the tapestry from the Astral Plane. Damage of this magnitude must have spawned hundreds more undead. Quickly, re-enter the demiplane and fend off the invaders!”

GMs, please begin part 3!

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

While a Society cleric is tending to the drained vanaran, Venture-Captain Ambrus Valsin approaches you. "Looks like you got on the bad side of a wight, N'Aranav. Thought I taught you better than that." He nods at the bloodrager and Kahwen, whose reputations within the Grand Lodge faction are known to him.

"So, Pathfinders, will you join the force confronting the undead or the group that intends to beat back the invaders from the Astral Plane?"

He waits, impatient, for you to make up your minds. "No, I don't have any more information for you about either threat. Don't dither, just make a decision and go!"

Please indicate your preference. We can proceed as soon as a majority indicates its choice.

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

I'll say the Astral invaders, for variety's sake since we just fought undead.

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

+1 Sounds like fun.

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

Kahwen bows deep to Valsin, the Venture Captain of his own particular branch of his lodge. Far from leaving him nonplussed, the tengu respects Valsin's brusqueness.

"We've worked and sacrificed to push the Aspsis out of the Tapestry, I have no desire to let a new set of invaders into it."

+1 to the +1. I mean...it's basically fighting space pirates!

Grand Lodge

Male CG Vanaran Bloodrager 5/Brawler 1 | HP: 26/57| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8, CMD: 22 | F: +14, R: +7, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +8, SM: +5 | Speed 60 ft fly| Bloodrage: 4/14 | Flex: 0/4 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, bloodrage, resist fire 10, fly

"Less wights sounds good..." N'Aranav smiles toothily, nodding back at the Venture Captain.

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

"Oh? No additional information? But how are we going to make an informed choice? I mean, on the one hand the dead can be quite scary and debilitating, but sometimes they're just hordes of walking corpses..."

He does his best zombie impression before moving quickly on "Astal invaders could be quite a variety of things I mean... " He's quickly out voted however and just shrugs his shoulders.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Having chosen to defend the Tapestry against the invaders from the Astral Plane, when you teleport into the tapestry, you witness a gaping hole marring the sky. Beyond the rift, dozens of strange vessels float in the Astral Plane, crawling with invaders.

Every surface of the tapestry realm stretches and tears as it tries to repair itself, creating more rifts in a slow but devastating chain reaction. The vessels deploy invaders to wreak havoc as the demiplane disintegrates.

It takes you only about 10 minutes to reach the area you've chosen to defend, intercepting the invaders at a set of ancient ruins in the desert.

As a horde of towering humanoids approaches, Aram Zey’s voice booms. "Pathfinders, these giants may be simple-minded, but our allies can’t outwit them without your help. Get out there and teach them a lesson."

Three large creatures, probably 14ft tall though their hunched postures make them appear shorter, and weighing around 1,000 pounds each, thunder toward you. They have rough, green hide, and their hands end in incredibly sharp claws. Their bestial faces have a hideous, tusked underbite.

They're stooped and fantastically ugly, but they look astonishingly strong—strong enough to literally tear apart your flesh to feed their voracious appetites.

Knowledge (local) DC15:
These three creatures are trolls, large humanoids with the giant subtype. For every 5 you exceed the DC, you may ask one question from this list.

"Exiles from our clans, sole survivors of da war!" shouts the one in the middle, pumping a giant fist in the air.

"Banded togedder to seek us some treasure!" cheers the one on the right, rubbing his hands together with consuming greed.

"Glory and violence across da infinite reaches of da planes!" laughs the one on the left with malicious glee.

Initiative:

Kahwen: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Aroden: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Quillen: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Kimiya: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
N’aranav: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Dale: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
3 Large Humanoids??: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

Map & Images

Round 1
Bold
may act.

N'Aranav
Dale
Quillen
Kimiya

---
3 Large Humanoids ??
---
Kahwen
Aroden
N'Aranav, Dale, Quillen, and Kimiya, you're up!

The Exchange

Male Galtan Dictator/Thug 6 | HP 56 | AC: 24(29)* (T 17, FF 18) | CMD 21* | F: +6, R: +14, W: +3* | Init +7 | Per +10

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Quillen spits as the lumbering hulks espouse violence and glory. Especially glory, as true glory was something only obtainable by Galt.

"Meh. Ugly.. green.. giants."

Quillen marched ahead of the group seeking to repeat the same strategy he and Kimiya had employed to success several times so far this week.

Move and ready. AC should be 31.

Readied Action:

Rapier #1 (power attack, defensive): 1d20 + 14 - 2 - 4 ⇒ (17) + 14 - 2 - 4 = 25 for 1d4 + 14 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 14 + 5 = 21

Rapier #1 crit confirm (power attack, defensive): 1d20 + 12 - 2 - 4 ⇒ (15) + 12 - 2 - 4 = 21 for 1d4 + 12 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 12 + 5 = 19

Quillen Status:

HP: 56/56; AC: (31) 24* (T17/FF18)
Underfoot: +1AC vs larger opponents
Cautious Fighter: When fighting defensively, +5 instead of +3

F: +5*, R: +13, W: +2
Charmed Life Used: 1/3
Panache Pool Used: 0/3

AC: 10 +5 armor, +5 Dex, +1 dodge, +2 shield, +1 size +1 underfoot +5 defensively
Attack: +5 BAB +5 Dex +1 size +1 focus +1 magic +1 rapier training = +14
Damage: +5 Dex (fencing grace) +4 power attack +2 rapier training +1 magic = +12 +5 swashbuckler (precision) = +17

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

Is this the same day or a fresh one? Time since the undead/tomb? If less than 50mins then Cog. is still going. If we had more than an hour of downtime then Dale would have mixed a fresh one.

Dale heads through the portal, landing on the ground with eyes wide open and an inquisitive smile on his face. He takes one look at the oversized creatures and knows just what they are. "Trolls! Giant humanoids. Where's an army of Dwarves when you need them!"

Knowledge Local DC15, +4 if cognatogen still active: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19

Looks like this is going to get physical.. I better protect myself! Dale draws out a vial and consumes it, then steps forward behind the wall, drawing his magic missile wand.

Shield 5mins. Is this wall low enough to see over?

Grand Lodge

Male CG Vanaran Bloodrager 5/Brawler 1 | HP: 26/57| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8, CMD: 22 | F: +14, R: +7, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +8, SM: +5 | Speed 60 ft fly| Bloodrage: 4/14 | Flex: 0/4 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, bloodrage, resist fire 10, fly

N'Aranav joins the fray, remembering to use his special wand this time.

move and draw wand, cast shield, hold it as a swift using his tail.
Bloodrage for free

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

It's been about an hour since your last encounter. Dale used the interlude to brew another caffeinated cognagen, before Aram Zey sent the team back into the tapestry.

Never one to shrink from a fight, Quillen takes several confident halfling strides toward his foes. He brandishes his rapier, ready to thrust it into any enemy foolish enough to cross him.

Dale peers over cover of the 5ft wall and recognizes the trio as trolls. He downs a shot of shield and draws a wand.

A raging N'Aranav follows Quillen, casts shield with a wand and grasps it with his prehensile tail.

Map & Images

Round 1
Bold
may act.

N'Aranav
Dale
Quillen
Kimiya
---
3 Trolls
---
Kahwen
Aroden
Kimiya, you're up!

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya grins finally a challenge!

He advances alongside Quillen an N'Aranav, "what do we know about these things? Other than I no longer have the reach advantage?" When he's slightly ahead of them, he sets his feet and prepares for the onslaught.

Move and Ready attack if they come within reach.

Readied Action:

+1 naginata: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30
NL Dmg: 1d8 + 8 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 8 + 4 = 20
Intimidate: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (17) + 16 = 33 If applicable

Damn - perfect spot for a charge except I'm behind Kahwen. Oh well.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

You hear the faint but timely and inspiring chorus of acapella kappa voices from the Eternal Lake.

Oblivious to the warbling and sonorous sounds of the turtle-people, the red and yellow trolls charge.

As the red troll pulls up and leans forward to bite Kimiya, the samurai's naginata jabs it in the chest, and the monster howls in pain, shaking from the demoralizing force of the blow. It takes a retaliatory bite of the nagaji.
Charge, Shaken, Bite; Damage: 1d20 + 8 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (13) + 8 + 2 - 2 = 211d8 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

The yellow troll charges at Quillen, reckoning he'd make a fine appetizer.
(Kimiya AoO vs Yellow?)
But like an olive oil-drenched antipasto morsel, the Galtan slips off the diner's plate. The swordsman is frustrated the troll is just beyond the reach of his rapier.
Charge, Shaken, Bite; Damage: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 8 + 2 = 271d8 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Crowded out by her brothers, the green troll follows and opening her mouth and raising a clawed fist, crouches at the ready to swat the first victim to get within her reach.

Map & Images

Effects:
Timely Inspiration +2 competence bonus on attack & damage rolls and a +2 morale bonus on saves vs charm & fear effects for 3 rounds.

Round 1/2
Bold
may act.

N'Aranav
Dale
Quillen
Kimiya
(-7; AoO vs Yellow?)
---
Green Troll (Readied Attack)
Red Troll (-22NL; shaken; -2AC post-charge)
Yellow Troll (-2AC post-charge)
---
Kahwen
Aroden

Everybody, you're up!

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

I'm going to use our Tales from the Tapestry bonus (once per encounter) on this check.
Knowledge (Local), Boon: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 9 + 2 = 26 Special attacks and defenses, please.

Aroden will share what he knows (or can reasonably shout in a couple of seconds).
Will delay until after Kahwen goes, since Kawhen is exactly where I want Aroden to be - going to 5' step and use Inspiring Sword.

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

They might not be the smartest of creatures, but at the moment, this crowd of trolls has the right idea. Waiting for a fight means the other person gets to make the decisions so Kahwen charges them right back.

As he gets within reach of those lanky, long arms, the tengu leaps, seeming to hover for an instant before he spins in a diagonal circle, using his momentum to slash at the beast.

Acrobatics to Avoid AoO: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (2) + 16 = 18

+1 elven curve blade plus Charge plus IC: 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 10 + 2 + 2 = 16 Slashing plus IC plus Sneak Attack (Scout's Charge): 1d10 + 10 + 2 + 3d6 ⇒ (4) + 10 + 2 + (4, 6, 1) = 27

Ugh...two rolls in a row almost as bad as they could be. Curse you Dai Shrolla!

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

Dale moves to a more advantageous position, giving himself a clear throwing lane for his bombs. He raises a wetted finger in the air to calculate a precise direction and speed. "Excellent. Bombs away sir, bombs away."

He repeats his normal bombing ritual of drawing, shaking and underhand tossing the weapon of troll destruction to land on the green troll directly, while the yellow one remains in the blast radius.

Frost Bomb Away!, Inspire: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 6 + 2 = 203d6 + 4 ⇒ (2, 3, 1) + 4 = 10
Miss Direction, Splash Reflex DC16, 7 Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 6
Direct hit target must make a DC16 Fort Save or be Staggered on their next turn.

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya appreciates the trolls straightforward approach ... onto his blade. He's already in motion when the red troll bites him, slashing his naginata to the side to hit the other one as well. He's a blur as he shifts weight onto his left foot, dragging the blade back toward the troll that attacked him.

AoO Yellow
+1 naginata + TI: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 13 + 2 = 33
NL Dmg + TI: 1d8 + 8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 8 + 4 + 2 = 22
Intimidate: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (16) + 16 = 32

Full round attack red
+1 naginata + TI: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 13 + 2 = 28
NL Dmg + TI: 1d8 + 8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 8 + 4 + 2 = 20
Intimidate: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (14) + 16 = 30

+1 naginata + TI: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 8 + 2 = 21
NL Dmg + TI: 1d8 + 8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 8 + 4 + 2 = 20
Intimidate: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (13) + 16 = 29

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

Aroden takes a step, holds aloft the Sword of Aroden and uses Inspiring Sword.
30' radius, +2 sacred bonus to attacks, saves, and skill checks.

Grand Lodge

Male CG Vanaran Bloodrager 5/Brawler 1 | HP: 26/57| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8, CMD: 22 | F: +14, R: +7, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +8, SM: +5 | Speed 60 ft fly| Bloodrage: 4/14 | Flex: 0/4 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, bloodrage, resist fire 10, fly

N'Aranav will lengthen out his stride and sweep the legs of the prepped troll. green

raged trip attempt: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 11 + 2 = 28

5' step then move action to activate lunge with Martial Flex, and standard action trip attempt. -2 to AC from lunge (included)

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

As the yellow troll charges Quillen, Kimiya takes advantage of the opportunity to strike, delivering a ringing blow that leaves that troll shaken as well.

Recalling tales from the tapestry that Kimiya had picked up earlier, Aroden has some additional insight about trolls. If one of them strikes you with both claws, it can rend you for even more damage. Their greatest defensive ability is the remarkable rate at which they can regenerate from their injuries--unless the attack used fire or acid, which temporarily also suppresses their ability to regenerate.

The wizard holds aloft his sword, inspiring his comrades.

Kahwen leaps into action and tries to dodge an attack from the yellow troll. The rogue might have been hit, but he delivers a sneaky, devastating slash of his own with his elven curve blade.
AoO Bite, shaken vs charging foe; Damage: 1d20 + 8 - 2 ⇒ (16) + 8 - 2 = 221d8 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14 (vs charging AC21?)

N'Aranav steps toward the green troll and lunges, extending an opposable-toed foot to trip the large monster. Ready for her opportunity, the green troll tries to bite the vanaran. Her teeth clack on empty air, and she falls prone with a thud, raising a cloud of dust.
Readied Bite; Damage: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 161d8 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Dale tosses a frost bomb at the prone green troll, and it covers the creature with fine ice crystals. With a shiver, she shakes them off. Her yellow-hued brother dodges some but not all of the chilling splash of the bomb.

GM Screen:
Green Fortitude DC16: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23Yellow Reflex DC16: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Kimiya beats the red troll twice more with his naginata, nearly staggering the monster and almost knocking him unconscious.

Map & Images

Effects:
Timely Inspiration +2 competence bonus on attack & damage rolls and a +2 morale bonus on saves vs charm & fear effects for 3 rounds.
Inspiring Sword 30' radius around Aroden, +2 sacred bonus to attacks, saves, and skill checks.

Round 2
Bold
may act.

N'Aranav
Dale
Quillen
Kimiya (-7)
---
Green Troll (prone)
Red Troll (-62NL; shaken; -2AC post-charge)
Yellow Troll (-30 & -22NL; shaken; -2AC post-charge)
---
Kahwen (-14)
Aroden
Quillen, you're up!

301 to 350 of 571 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Lorenzo's #10-00: The Hao Jin Cataclysm (Tier 5-6) PbP Gameday VIII All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.