GM Lorenzo's #10-00: The Hao Jin Cataclysm (Tier 5-6) PbP Gameday VIII (Inactive)

Game Master Lawrence Smith 2

Maps, Handouts, and More!


51 to 100 of 571 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

(Mea culpa. Missed Kahwen's offer of water. Read Aroden's post as noting he too had some water, but not actually offering it yet.)

The kappas are gracious to anyone who re-fills their head-bowls. They regain enough strength to flip themselves over and upright. They all start talking at once.

"Thanks, bros. Got any food?"

"Waterways dried up. We came to Lake Taikaga, but the fountain that sustained it, it's turned off."

"Yeah, I could go for some cucumber and horseflesh sandwiches!"

"Tried to reason with the dragon, but he wouldn't turn the water on."

"It's up there in the temple." The kappa points to the north.

"Got mad, flipped us over on our shells, and left us to die."

"Drown the mean, stupid dragon!"

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

Dale takes back his no empty canteen, drains the last drop for himself and stows it away once more. "All out of cucumbers and horse flesh I'm afraid. Although I must admit I did try monkey a time or two down South. Not half bad, but very easy to overcook..."

He finishes his notes and looks up at the temple once again "So... guess step two is to make our way to the house on the hill and see if we can't talk some sense into the dragon?" He looks to the others of the group, then back to the TMNT crew "Oh, did you notice what color the dragon was?"

K Arcana vs Dragons: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Again, the fraternity of kappas endeavors to answer the question all at once.

"Covered in splendid gold scales, it was."

"Magnificent dragon!"

"Magnificent?! Not much bigger than us, really."

"Wore a crown."

"Naw, those were just horns jutting from its head."

Dale the Sage thinks it could be a gold dragon, or maybe a sovereign dragon, probably just a wyrmling, if it's roughly the same small size as the kappas.

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

"Did it give a reason for turning the fountain off?"

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

Dale raises an eyebrow as the kappas continue their strange group responses Sense Motive: Are these guys normal or...: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

"Well, I guess we'll get more answers up on top of that hill right? Oh, any idea WHO that temple belonged to before the dragon moved in?" Then he preps to start hiking.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

The kappas shrug in response to Aroden and Dale. "Conversation never got that far."

"Dragons."

"Whatcha gonna do, right?"

"Never had no call to visit the temple, before the lake dried up."

"Wanna wrastle?"

"Kill the damn dragon, first."

"And turn the water on."

Dale gets the sense they might know more about the tapestry, were you to ask, but they're not willing to talk, until you solve the 'dragon problem'.

The Exchange

Male Galtan Dictator/Thug 6 | HP 56 | AC: 24(29)* (T 17, FF 18) | CMD 21* | F: +6, R: +14, W: +3* | Init +7 | Per +10

Quillen taps his foot impatiently as the turtlemen, growing even more antsy as he hears there's a diminutive dragon behind the drought.

"Ah, we 'aven't time to talk. Ze tapestry zat 'olds the demiplan you live within is about to collapse, and our first task is zecuring zis water..."

Turning on his heel, Quillen begins the "march" upward to the temple, glancing over his shoulder expecting others to follow and make the promise to the turtlemen that their dragon problems will soon come to an end.

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya watches the kappas talk over each other without saying much and shakes his head. When Quillen turns to leave, he follows, "that was ... interesting. Let's see if the dragon is less manic."

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

"To the dragon!"
Aroden follows Quillen.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

You march toward the temple through a winding, dry ravine that is normally filled with water that flows from the fountain in Taikaga Temple. The walls of the ravine are 20 feet high.

Map & Images

You emerge from the ravine before a splendid temple carved into the rock. Seated on the steps is a magnificent dragon covered in splendid gold scales, and horns jut from its head like a crown.

Knowledge (arcana) DC17:
Aoitsun is a wyrmling sovereign dragon. For every 5 you exceed the DC, you may ask one question from this list.

"Who would approach the Taikaga Temple? I am Aoitsun, guardian of balance, a lungwang placed in the skies by the gods themselves to safeguard harmony in the world."

She stretches languidly, flexing her powerful muscles. "My ancestors swore to Hao Jin that they and their descendants would help preserve balance and harmony in the tapestry. I am protecting the tapestry’s water sources by keeping the fountain’s magic disabled until balance is restored to the tapestry."

To convince Aoitsun to restore the waters, you must negotiate with her, scare her off, or defeat her in combat. Please role-play your choice and roll your check.
Negotiation: The PCs can try to reason with Aoitsun by attempting five different skill checks or saving throws. The PCs can repeat a skill check in place of attempting a new tactic, but each additional attempt takes a penalty.
The negotiation process can involve reasoning with the dragon (Diplomacy), giving the right type of compliments (Perform [oratory] or Sense Motive), explaining the impact of the dried-up waterways (Knowledge [nature or planes]), feigning helplessness (Bluff), and appealing to the sovereign dragon’s noble and honorable nature (Knowledge [arcana or nobility]).
Threats: This strategy functions as the negotiation option (see above), but with different checks. Threatening Aoitsun can involve a show of martial strength (Hard attack roll), impressing the dragon with magical prowess (Spellcraft or Use Magic Device), describing the desperate people in the tapestry (Knowledge [local]), sensing the dragon’s loneliness and desire for allies (Sense Motive), or threatening the dragon with violence (Intimidate).
Combat: Roll Initiative.

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

"Magnificent Aoitsun, the lungwang are known throughout Golarion and the realms beyond as beings of honor and wisdom. I beseech you to reconsider. This fountain is essential to the harmonious functioning of the Hao Jin Tapestry, and we most humbly request your aid in restoring it."
Knowledge (Arcana) to negotiate: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (20) + 16 = 36
Aroden proceeds to list a number of occasions in which the actions of Lungwang dragons restored balance.

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

Dale tarries behind the group as he studies the numerous stranded biota along the now dry ravine on the way to the temple "Always in a rush. Some of these species I've never seen before. Some proper identification and cataloging would go a long way to furthering the knowledge of this place." Pressed for time he merely grabs up 'samples' to study later when he's got time.

As he reaches the temple and its guardian he takes a long, hard look at the golden scaled dragon. K Arcana, DC17: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29 special attacks, weaknesses

Assuming no relevant weaknesses I'll make the following check.

K Nature to Influence: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23

Dale nods along as false Aroden makes his claim on the importance of the fountain on the magic of the tapestry itself. Dale uses a slightly different tact along the same vein, dragging out a host of collect specimens from his backpack. "All of these fine specimens are dying out there because you turned off the water." He starts with a long and floppy pond weed "Take this one for example: Potamogeton amplifolius quite the grand pond weed, yet it needs some actual water depth to thrive, not the damp muck its stuck in now!"

He drags out another, this one a showy and beautiful red flower on a long stem with a basal rosette "This is Lobelia cardinalis some know it locally as cardinal flower. A veritable 'beaut' as they say. Without the rushing water scouring the stream bed this thing will get overtaken by other plants... not good."

He continues this discussion until someone cuts him off, dragging out an enormous volume of material from what seems like a bottomless backpack.

Plant Pics

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya bows his head slightly as he steps forward, "Honorable Aoitsun, I too seek balance and harmony. In my experience, though, that cannot be achieved by unilaterally punishing others. We've come from what used to be the lake. The kappas are suffering. There may be reason to cause them harm but, with respect, it appears they are not being dealt with honorably. Instead of working with them, they were left to die. Is it a ridiculous idea to let us help you find the path forward? To let us help you find balance and harmony." He bows a bit lower and takes a step back.

Diplo to Negotiate + Blue Rose Mediate: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (15) + 13 = 28

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CG Vanaran Bloodrager 5/Brawler 1 | HP: 26/57| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8, CMD: 22 | F: +14, R: +7, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +8, SM: +5 | Speed 60 ft fly| Bloodrage: 4/14 | Flex: 0/4 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, bloodrage, resist fire 10, fly

"Not that it has anything to do with dehydrated turtles, but I am stunned. Has anyone told you that the sunlight in this canyon really brings out the gold in your scales?"

Sense Motive to compliment: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

Nailed it.

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

"To the dr..." Kahwen starts to blurt before realizing Aroden has already said the exact same thing.

He follows close on the heels of Quillen, not much taller than the man.

He stares in awe and wonder at the temple and at the dragon. He's fought a dragon before (and won) but that pale beast was not nearly as regal as this magnificent creature.

He is just about to talk about how important water is when Dale does a far better job than he ever could.

Instead, he bows low to the dragon.

"يا عظيم واحد، قوتك وربما واضحة. أرجو أن ترحموا نحن البشر الضعفاء وإهتموا إلى كلماتنا بسخاء."

Draconic:
"Oh Mighty One, your power and might are obvious and far beyond ours. Please have mercy upon we weak mortals and heed our words with generosity."

Bluff to Negotiate: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Aoitsun warms to the party's peaceful overtures, but she's curious. "I gave you my name and told you whom I serve. Courtesy demands you do the same, is it not so?"

The sovereign dragon runs a clawed hand over her horns, preening at N'Aranav's flattery and Kahwen's pretense of obsequiousness. She displays a slight frown at Kimaya's insinuation that her treatment of the kappas was anything less than honorable, but she is wise enough to acknowledge the samuarai's reminders about the importance of balance and harmony.

The wyrmling runs a claw through Dale's floral presentation, impressed by his extensive collection.

When Aroden explains the mystical fountain's critical role in restoring the tapestry, Aoitsun realizes what she must do. "I will honor the commitment my ancestors made to the sorcerer Hao Jin. I will restore the waters."

The dragon climbs the multi-tiered column at the center of the massive fountain, grasps a shield-sized brass valve, and turns it clockwise seventy times seven. A geyser of water 25 feet high erupts from the top of the fountain, before falling and splashing down seven ever larger tiers. The temple's stadium-sized but shallow reflecting pool fills within a matter of minutes, then the water spills over the lip. A torrent of water rushes down the ravine toward Lake Taikaga.

Another post follows...

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

You make your way back down the now-flooded ravine, picking your way along a narrow path only inches above the raging waters.

The happy kappas splash about in the muddy and rapidly expanding lake. They're playing a game of water polo with a rusty dwarves helm, using the skeletal remains of some large fish as a goal.

At your return, they emerge from the churning water, dripping water forming muddy pools in the dust around their webbed and clawed feet.

"Thanks for fixing the plumbing."

"Since the Lisping Portion stopped turning up, the tapestry has generally been a more peaceful and stable place—current events aside."

"You must have a way with dragons."

"No, Aspis Consortium, not Lippy Motion."

They lower their voices to hushed whispers. "Many residents have begun having terrible nightmares."

"Watch out for mysterious strangers."

"Even stranger than you lot."

"With purple skin and evil eyes."

They point to the wayfinders you're carrying. "We'll help inspire agents of the Pathfinder Society to complete their mission."

The PCs gain access to a special boost option for the Timely Inspiration Aid Token. You haven't used your Aid Token yet. Pass it on? Boost it first?
Mission 6 Success reported to the Overseer GM. Which mission next? Rule of Two.

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Maybe we should boost and pass the Aid token. And we don't have Timely Inspiration, right? This is a boost if we get it?

Kimiya apologies to Aoitsun and introduces himself followed quickly by praise and thanks when the water is turned on.

He smiles at the kappas enjoying the water, "when did you last see the Aspis? And have you encountered these mysterious strangers? Or just in nightmares?" Kimiya listens closely and thanks the kappas.

When they step away to discuss the next mission, Kimiya chimes in "I'm not terribly effective against the undead so while I'd love to help the Muckmouth, I'd prefer focusing elsewhere. Such as the duergar. Any opportunity to stop slavers as one I would relish. We might also do well rectifying the damage the Aspis have done."

Prefer Mission #4 or alternately #5. I'd rank Mission #1 last as a nonlethal build.

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

This sort of thing is exactly why Kahwen is a Pathfinder. The wondrous display of the fountain erupting and refilling not only the pool but the lake below leaves him agape.

He watches the torrent of water flowing as he walks along beside it and he is highly tempted to join the kappas in their game when he gets to the Lake. He listens closely to their advice as he turns to his companions to voice his choice.

"I still believe that we should do what we can to stymie the Apsis and stop the slavers," he says.

Voting for 4 and 5.

I definitely think we should boost and pass the Aid Token. Does anyone have Inspiration? Using the special boost would be best, but if we don't have it, just passing it with the current boost would be fine.

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

"Thank you, gracious Aoitsun. I am called Aroden, and I am of the Pathfinder Society."

Aroden makes his way back to the kappas and watches them enjoy the water.

"I am fine with any of the missions."

Also vote for passing along the Aid Token. Looks like 2 votes for #4, which Aroden is fine with.

@Kimiya, it looks like you would be quite effective against undead. Just because you are super-duper effective at nonlethal damage doesn't mean you are bad at regular attacks. 18 Str and a two-handed weapon is nothing to scoff at.

@Dale - "false Aroden"? Harsh! How about "dubious" or "questionable"? No PFS rule says that he can't be the mortal reincarnation of a dead deity, or an amnesiac possessed by a fragmentary vestige, or an Aboleth experiment, or an unexplained side-effect of a certain time-travel mission... his story is that he has a lot of memories of Aroden that he can't explain. Some of the man's mortal life, some apparently of his godhood.

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

@Aroden - I agree. I've just forgetton that NL doesn't affect undead on every. single. mission. so my friends tell me not to fight them :)

The Exchange

Male Galtan Dictator/Thug 6 | HP 56 | AC: 24(29)* (T 17, FF 18) | CMD 21* | F: +6, R: +14, W: +3* | Init +7 | Per +10

Quillen had allowed the others to do the negotiating with the dragon while he kept his hand on his hilt, ready to spring like a tiger should the need arise. As his eyes sort of glaze over, he muses to himself.

'as Quillen zlain a dragon yet? Non! But he 'as zlain many demons...

**

As the group once again meets with the turtles, the 'alfling is at ease, even allowing his hand to drop from his tiny blade's hilt and to find a pack of cigarettes and to ignite his third so far since the mission briefing.

"Purple skin and evil eyes? What sort of foul demon is 'zis? Something 'as escaped ze Would Wound?"

He looks to Dale, now having come to expect the alchemist to know pretty much everything crucial to a mission.

**

As the group begins to discuss which thread will be ridden next, Quillen voices his thoughts.

"Ze temple of ze Enlightening iz corrupted! Zis cannot stand!"

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

Dale looks up to the dragon as he stows his precious plant finds again "Oh me? I'm Dale and we're all Pathfinders, here to explore, report and cooperate with the world. But most importantly we're here to fix the Tapestry so its doesn't explode and destroy this world and everyone inside.. includes ourselves!"

He gives a smile and a respectful bow and heads off with the group down the ravine. "The sheer volume of water that temple provides is amazing. I wonder if it has a direct line to the plane of water or something?" He eyes up the cardinal flowers and smiles, the raging spring-like flow doing them a big favor.

------

As they arrive to the Kappa, Dale in the rear as usual with a handful of interesting pebbles and what looks like a Dwarven jaw bone "Huh, does this look Dwarven to you?" He holds it up for Aroden the Imposter to have a look at before tucking it away to speak with the Kappa.

"We got your water back, just as promised." He calls to the turtle fraternity. "Nice bone net, what species is that? Is it old?" He asks the important questions before Quillen interrupts with something about purple skin and evil eyes that could cause nightmares...

Knowledge Any: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26

Dale is fine with any of the missions. If the more melee/offensive characters want to change it up then I would lean toward something with more combat.

As far as boosting the token we should! How about a knowledge boost... planes?

K Planes for the BOOoooOOst!: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None
Dale the Sage wrote:
He holds it up for Aroden the Imposter to have a look at before tucking it away to speak with the Kappa.

Also not an imposter. As I said, a man with memories that he cannot explain, so he does not make any claims to be any more than a man trying to follow in the footsteps of the Last Azlanti. "Imposter" means deliberate deception.

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul
Aroden Reincarnated wrote:
Dale the Sage wrote:
He holds it up for Aroden the Imposter to have a look at before tucking it away to speak with the Kappa.
Also not an imposter. As I said, a man with memories that he cannot explain, so he does not make any claims to be any more than a man trying to follow in the footsteps of the Last Azlanti. "Imposter" means deliberate deception.

I'm just messing with you man. I'll likely flip through different adjectives through out the adventure to describe him if you don't mind (just to keep things fresh and funny). If you do mind then I'll make sure to keep them more on point.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Re buff durations, each mission takes 1 hour to complete and 10 minutes to travel between mission locations.

You arrive in a cavern beneath the fortress.

Incoherent murmurs and groans echo through this large, dark cave. Tall stalagmites emerge from the cave floor surrounded by shallow pools of water. Ahead, a dim purplish light emanating from a multifaceted black gemstone the size of a human skull illuminates several humanoid forms heaped around the stone.

These natural stone caves are dark, except for dim light in a 20-foot radius around the gemstone. The ceilings are 20 feet high. Five figures stand around the stone, looming over thirteen captives—a mix of ratfolk, wayangs, and dwarves—that lie unconscious around the black sapphire embedded in the floor of the cavern.

When you enter the cavern, the guardians turn to face this threat to the stone and their work.

There are three bald, long-bearded dwarves with dull gray skin, low arching brows, and eyes that seem to absorb rather than reflect the dim light. Two of them wear leather armor and are armed with light maces and light crossbows. A third dwarf wears a chain shirt and carries a warhammer and a light crossbow.

Knowledge (local) DC11:
These dwarves are duergar, medium humanoids. For every 5 you exceed the DC, you may ask one question from this list.

Near the stone lurk two humanoid creatures with long, sharp teeth and claws and pallid flesh stretched tightly over their starved frames.

Knowledge (religion) DC11:
These are ghouls, medium undead. For every 5 you exceed the DC, you may ask one question from this list.

Initiative:

Kahwen: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Aroden: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Quillen: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
Kimiya: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
N’aranav: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Dale: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
3 Dwarves: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
2 Creatures: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

Map & Images

Round 1
Bold
may act.

Aroden
---
3 ???
2 ??
---
Kahwen
N'Aranav
Quillen
Kimiya
Dale

Aroden, you're up!

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24
"Duergar!" Special resistances and spell-like abilities.

Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11
"And ghouls!"

Well, there's captives around them, so no Fireball.

Aroden casts Haste on the party and draws his longsword.

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

K Local, DC11: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17 Special Abilities
K Religion, DC11: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24 Special Abilities, resistances

"Oh yes, Duergar for sure. A variant of the regular Dwarf that prefers being underground more than your typical Dwarf. They've got some interesting special abilities. Let me fill you in."

Dale watches the spell casting of their resident wizard with excited eyes "OOoo excellentspellIalwayswantedtoexperiencethissortofamazingspeed!"

He then points towards the creatures with sharp pointy teeth "Yupthoseareghouls. Verydeadandveryhungryforlivingflesh! Watchoutfortheir..."

Dale says all this as he stands with his glowing ioun stone floating round and round his head like a lazy horse fly crossbred with a extremely horny firefly.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Aroden and Dale recognize the guardians of the giant gemstone.

The four dwarves are duergar, immune to paralysis, phantasms, poison; once per day they can use their spell-like abilities to cast enlarge person and invisibility; like their dwarven kin, they're slow and steady, with a base speed of 20 feet, but their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance, and their stability tough to bull rush or trip while standing on the ground.

The two ghouls are undead creatures. They can paralyze foes--other than elves--with their bite and claws, and their bite can infect a victim with ghoul fever, a disease that damages constitution and dexterity. They're resistant to channeled positive energy and possess the common undead traits.

Unwilling to harm the unconscious captives, Aroden casts haste on the party.

Another post follows...

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

The duergar in the chain shirt shouts a command, hefts his warhammer, and then becomes invisible.

Undercommon:
"Protect the siphoning stone! Aslynn must be obeyed!" the duergar in the chain shirt says, hefting his warhammer, and then becoming invisible.
"Aye, Lieutenant Chergin Ironwhip!" sound off the other three dwarves, throwing their bombs.

The other three duergar throw bombs at the front rank of the party. The red and orange bombardiers strike their target. The maroon bombardier is less accurate, and her bomb lands in front of Kimiya.
Red Bomb vs Kimaya's Touch AC, 3rd Range Increment; Fire Damage: 1d20 + 6 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 6 - 4 = 131d6 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Orange Bomb vs Kimaya's Touch AC, 3rd Range Increment; Fire Damage: 1d20 + 6 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 6 - 4 = 131d6 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Maroon Bomb vs Quillen's Touch AC, 3rd Range Increment; Fire Damage: 1d20 + 6 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 6 - 4 = 131d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

GM Screen:
Bomb misses and lands?: 1d8 ⇒ 8

Splash Damage:
3 points each; Reflex DC13 each for half
Quillen - 3 saves
Aroden - 2 saves
Kahwen - 2 saves
Kimiya - 1 save

The ghouls lurch forward, licking their lips with long narrow tongues and flashing sharp teeth from their famished jaws, ready to bite the first meal that gets close.

Map & Images

Effects:
Dim Light
Haste

Round 1/2
Bold
may act.

Aroden (Reflex DC13 x 2; -??)
---
Yellow Duergar (Invisible)
Maroon Duergar
Orange Duergar
Red Duergar
Pink Ghoul
Purple Ghoul
---
Kahwen (Reflex DC13 x 2; -??)
N'Aranav
Quillen
(Reflex DC13 x 3; -??)
Kimiya (Reflex DC13 x 1; -14 +??)
Dale

Everybody, you're up!

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

Dale watches in appreciation as the hail of bombs fall from the sky. From the sounds and size of the explosions, not to mention the tell tale tastes of the smoke, he knows he is a far more accomplished explosives expert than those three. "Merely an opening volley. Here have a taste of MY recipe."

He hustles forward to get in a more favorable range before tossing his own black sphere with a smiley face on it at the northern most ghoul.

Fire Bomb, Ranged Touch, haste, range: 1d20 + 6 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (8) + 6 + 1 - 2 = 133d6 + 4 ⇒ (4, 6, 1) + 4 = 15
Splash = DC16 7 Damage

Grand Lodge

Male CG Vanaran Bloodrager 5/Brawler 1 | HP: 26/57| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8, CMD: 22 | F: +14, R: +7, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +8, SM: +5 | Speed 60 ft fly| Bloodrage: 4/14 | Flex: 0/4 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, bloodrage, resist fire 10, fly

"Let's do this!"

Using the handy burst of arcane speed, N'Aranav races up to the nearest undead monstrosity and carefully sweeps its legs out from under it.

improved trip with haste and defensive fighting: 1d20 + 13 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (18) + 13 + 1 - 4 = 28

AC 23 from haste and fighting defensive

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya tries to duck under the bombs but isn't fast enough, taking 2 to the chest and one at his feet. He rushes up and swings at the purple ghoul. It's already dead, I don't need to temper myself.

Reflex + Haste: 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 3 + 1 = 17
Naginata + Haste: 1d20 + 13 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 13 + 1 = 30
Dmg: 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

AC18/T13, HP 36/51
Where would you like us to track HP? Stat line? Post? Google?

The Exchange

Male Galtan Dictator/Thug 6 | HP 56 | AC: 24(29)* (T 17, FF 18) | CMD 21* | F: +6, R: +14, W: +3* | Init +7 | Per +10

Saves and Damage:

Reflex: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (20) + 13 = 33
Reflex: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15
Reflex: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26

The two Kim bombs should be 3 splash damage a piece, so 1.5 rounded down to 1 and Quillen's direct hit does the same, so only 3 damage I believe?

The barrage of bombs surprises the Galtan halfling as he springs to action. Aided by Dale's hastening incantation, Quillen's eyes widen as he bears down on the first of the duergar and pays little heed to the ghoul engaged with N'Aranav.

He'll tumble past that one square that provokes an AoO from the pink ghoul moving half-speed to arrive in the square adjacent to the duergar - 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20

The tiny fencer then poises for a moment before attempting to plunge the pointy end in the grey-skinned dwarf.

"A-ha! Take zat, dwarf!"

Rapier (power attack, defensively, haste, charge): 1d20 + 12 - 2 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 12 - 2 + 3 = 25 for 1d4 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 10 + 4 = 15

The halfling's taunt (as a swift action, menacing swordplay) works to demoralize the slaver.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (10) + 13 = 23
Demoralize DC is 10+HD+Wis. Quillen gets +2 to duration, so if he beat the DC by 5 or more, the duergar is not just shaken, but frightened.

Quillen's AC vs these foes will be +1 (Underfoot; larger) +5 (defensively) +1 (haste) so 24+7 = AC31 (TAC24).

Quillen Status:

HP: 53/56; AC: 31 (24+*) (T17/FF18)
Underfoot: +1AC vs larger opponents
Cautious Fighter: When fighting defensively, +5 instead of +3

Charmed Life Used: 0/3
Panache Pool Used: 0/3

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

Refl 1: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27
Refl 2: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

Kahwen easily twists out of the way of fiery bombs, making the awkward contortions he has to move into look perfectly natural.

His eyes widen as he feels the burst of speed rush through him and he actually starts giggling, the down coming out like quick "awk! awk! awk!" from his avian throat.

He has to pause for an instant to admire Quillen. The halflings acrobatics are impressive and his defensive fighting is amazing, both areas that he prides himself on.

"You'll have to teach me that when this is over, Friend Quillen!" he shouts.

He also has to admire the way the halfling ignores the ghoul to get to the dwarf. He admires it enough to try to make sure Quillen doesn't pay the price for the daring act. He charges forward and slashes the ghoul.

+1 elven curve blade plus Charge plus Haste: 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 10 + 2 + 1 = 28 Slashing plus Scout's Charge Sneak Attack: 1d10 + 10 + 3d6 ⇒ (2) + 10 + (3, 5, 4) = 24

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Dale pulls the pin from his smiley-face grenade and lobs it at the purple ghoul. When the bomb strikes, the detonation obliterates the undead creature in a small mushroom cloud, and the blast staggers the orange and red duergars next to it.

GM Screen:
Orange Reflex DC16: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0Red Reflex DC16: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2

N'Aranav hastens toward the pink ghoul. The undead creature was ready, and tries to bite the vanaran. Its jaws snap shut with a resounding, hollow *clack*. The bloodrager's leg sweep sends the ghoul to the gritty floor of the cavern.

GM Screen:
Bite; Damage: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 71d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Suffering minimal damage from the splashing flames of a third bomb, Kimiya charges into battle, ending the pink ghoul's un-life.

Quillen leaps over the fallen ghoul without breaking stride, burying his rapier to the hilt in the maroon duergar, who dies a quick and demoralized death.

Kahwen manages to evade the flames of the bombs' blasts, and seeing his allies take out his intended target, he instead elects to introduce his blade to the orange duergar. The sword master doesn't give the dwarven cousin the opportunity to respond.

Map & Images

Effects:
Dim Light
Haste

Round 2
Bold
may act.

Aroden (Reflex DC13 x 2; -??)
---
Yellow Duergar (Invisible)
Red Duergar (-7; staggered, disabled)
---
Kahwen
N'Aranav
Quillen (-3)
Kimiya (-15)
Dale

Aroden, you're up!

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

Reflex, Haste: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Reflex, Haste: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

Aroden will cast See Invisibility and point out the location of the yellow Duergar. Spending a reservoir point to boost it to CL8 for the increased duration.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Aroden pulls a pinch of talc and powdered silver from his spell component pouch and, gesticulating with his fingers, mutters an incantation. He spots the yellow duergar behind Kahwen, his warhammer raised above his head.

Everyone else spots the duergar, too, when he attacks Kahwen. Landing his first blow against the unsuspecting tengu, the duergar swings again.

Undercommon:
"Flank the bird man! I'll use his feathers to fill my pillow!"

Warhammer, Attacking from Invisible, Flanking; Damage: 1d20 + 11 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 11 + 2 + 2 = 192d6 + 4 ⇒ (1, 4) + 4 = 9
Warhammer, Flanking; Damage: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 6 + 2 = 272d6 + 4 ⇒ (4, 5) + 4 = 13

The yellow duergar makes a wild swing at Kahwen with her mace. The effort proves too much, and the duergar falls to the cavern floor with a groan, unconscious.
Light mace, Flanking; Damage: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 + 2 = 241d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Crit!? Additional Damage, if confirmed: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 + 2 = 151d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Map & Images

Effects:
Dim Light
Haste

Round 2
Bold
may act.

Aroden (-2)
---
Yellow Duergar
Red Duergar (-8; unconscious, prone, dying)
---
Kahwen (-29)
N'Aranav
Quillen (-3)
Kimiya (-15)
Dale

Everybody, you're up!

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

Dale grimaces at the puff of feathers that fly up from Kahwen "Found him!" He calls out as he rushes into the fray, drawing an intricate looking yellow wood club. Its covered in beautiful carvings of jungle scenes on one side, and inscribed with tiny print of lists of words on the other.

Melee MW Yellow-wood Club, Haste, Flank: 1d20 + 4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 4 + 1 + 2 = 191d6 ⇒ 4

"Back off you menacing slaver!" Dale's insults could use some work.

Thanks to the haste I could make an attack, mostly I wanted to move in to provide flanking.

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

"Urk!"

The joy in Kahwen's eyes over being so fast and the group of Pathfinders he's with being so effective is all but extinguished as a warhammer from nowhere almost breaks his spine. He is left unable to do much more than stagger away.

Withdrawal so as not to knock myself out.

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

Aroden consults the future.
Prescience ability 1 of 4: 1d20 ⇒ 20
That will do.

He moves up drawing his bolas and throws them at the duergar.
Though he lacks skill with the weapon and is throwing into a crowded melee, none of that matters. His glimpse of the future tells him that he succeeds.

The duergar falls.

Trip, using Prescience, Nonproficient, Into Melee, Cover: 20 + 5 - 4 - 4 - 4 = 13
A natural 20 auto-succeeds on combat maneuvers, except escaping from bonds.

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya watches all the bad guys fall and decides to press their advantage. He reaches over to slam the flat of his blade on the duergar, "stay down!"

When he realizes just how hard he hit, he winces, gods be damned, not again!

Naginata + Haste: 1d20 + 13 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 13 + 1 = 17
NL Dmg : 1d8 + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 14
Naginata + Haste: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 8 + 1 = 23
NL Dmg: 1d8 + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 18
Naginata + Haste: 1d20 + 13 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 13 + 1 = 17
NL Dmg: 1d8 + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 15

Intimidate: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (18) + 16 = 34

Prone not added.
Enforcer - free Demoralize check with nonlethal damage.
Flat of the Blade removes penalty to hit gives +2 to NL damage
Blade of Mercy is another +1 NL
and Slave Taker is yet another +1
If 17 hits (21 w/ Prone?), Thousand Cuts adds 1 Bleed for every hit after the first in a round. Lasts 2 rounds

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

(Mea culpa, the red duergar is prone, but neither disabled nor dying.)

The only duergar standing just barely dodges Dale's club, and Kahwen uses the distraction to put some distance between himself and that powerful warhammer.

Aroden draws upon some mysterious power, draws his bolas, and tosses the weapon at the Darklands dwarf, tripping him.

Kimiya proves, once again, that nonlethal intentions can have devastating and demoralizing consequences, slapping the prone duergar thrice with the flat of his naginata.

Map & Images

Effects:
Dim Light
Haste

Round 2/3
Bold
may act.

Aroden (-2)
---
Yellow Duergar (-47; prone, demoralized)
Red Duergar (-8; prone)
---
Kahwen (-29, disabled, staggered)
N'Aranav
Quillen (-3)
Kimiya (-15)
Dale

N'Aranav and Quillen, you're up!

Grand Lodge

Male CG Vanaran Bloodrager 5/Brawler 1 | HP: 26/57| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8, CMD: 22 | F: +14, R: +7, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +8, SM: +5 | Speed 60 ft fly| Bloodrage: 4/14 | Flex: 0/4 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, bloodrage, resist fire 10, fly

N'Aranav takes several kicks at the foe at his feet.

unarmed power attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
unarmed damage: 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
hasted unarmed power attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
unarmed damage: 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
unarmed power attack: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (10) + 0 = 10
unarmed damage: 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

Dale watches as the battle rages on, its clear that his companions are far better at this fighting thing than he is. However, recalling some basic lessons learned at fight club he chimes in "If either N'Aranav or Kimiya adjusted their positions even slightly then you would have this duergar at a severe positional disadvantage am I correct?"

Flanking is good.

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

@N'Aranav - are you still fighting defensively? Is that why your attack bonus is so low?

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

As the duergar rolls around on the ground, he manages to dodge two of N'Aranav's kicks, but one of them connects with a solid crunch of broken ribs.

Map & Images

Effects:
Dim Light
Haste

Round 2/3
Bold
may act.

Aroden (-2)
---
Yellow Duergar (-60; prone, demoralized)
Red Duergar (-8; prone)
---
Kahwen (-29, disabled, staggered)
N'Aranav
Quillen (-3)
Kimiya (-15)
Dale

Quillen, you're up!

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

@Dale - I completely missed N'Aranav's icon down there. He blends in :) I'll shift on my turn for the flank.

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul
Kimiya Sayo wrote:
@Dale - I completely missed N'Aranav's icon down there. He blends in :) I'll shift on my turn for the flank.

I apologize for Dale's know it all, comes off as a dink, calculating attitude. He almost was given a negative CHA to represent it but I figured he could be reasonable when he tried at least.

51 to 100 of 571 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Lorenzo's #10-00: The Hao Jin Cataclysm (Tier 5-6) PbP Gameday VIII All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.