GM Lorenzo's #10-00: The Hao Jin Cataclysm (Tier 5-6) PbP Gameday VIII (Inactive)

Game Master Lawrence Smith 2

Maps, Handouts, and More!


251 to 300 of 571 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
The Exchange

Male Galtan Dictator/Thug 6 | HP 56 | AC: 24(29)* (T 17, FF 18) | CMD 21* | F: +6, R: +14, W: +3* | Init +7 | Per +10

Quillen smirks as the owlpeople begin a dialogue with Dale, knowing the trio will likely find solace in the sage's eccentricities.

He stands attentively, hands folded behind his back as he continues to study the feathered scholars during their discourse.

He is tempted by a cigarette as he tries to discover his patience, but resists the urge as he has sometimes found tenuous allegiances with avians to be improved by smoke.

They're not Quillen's type, but feel free to hoot 'em up Dale!

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya smiles at their obvious excitement. He begins to join their philosophical discussion but quickly finds his mind twisted like a tindertwig and bows out.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Will: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Dale and Kimiya sense that while the Hhruul make a show of being calm and collected, the syrinxes are obviously excited to speak with people from outside the tapestry. Their excitement is tempered only by their wariness of you Pathfinders.

The wise old owl-men give a Aroden a polite but condescending nod when he tries to impress them with his knowledge of geography.

Dale the Sage interjects with geo-data of his own.

The syrinxes greet Dale's words with disapproval. "Your technical brilliance does not excuse rude behavior. Please display a modicum of decorum, when engaging in scholarly dialogue."
(1 success)

Dale and Kimiya immediately realize that the Hhruul are offended by people talking all at once.

Kimiya then stumbles and fumbles a philosophical appeal.

Wishing he could take a smoke break, Quillen holds his tongue behind a gallic smirk.

The Hhruul have not yet been convinced to aid the Pathfinder Society. They wait patiently to listen to whatever else you might have to say.

Successes: 1
Additional Mechanics: Only one PC may attempt to use aid another to assist a check. A different PC may attempt to try a task that the group has failed previously, taking a cumulative penalty for each previous failure.
Encounter Mechanics
Impressive Knowledge: You can attempt a Knowledge (geography) or Profession (sailor) check to describe where Arcadia is and how to get there.
Promise Assistance: You can’t know precisely how to help the Hhruul get home, but with a successful Bluff check you can give assurances that the Pathfinder Society possesses the knowledge and means to help.
Philosophical Appeal: You can attempt a Will save to prevail in a drawn-out philosophical debate with the syrinx.

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

Kahwen is so awestruck by seeing these wise bird men that he delays in speaking. He delays long enough that by the time he has his wits about him to talk, Dale has already laid down some serious knowledge.

It's pretty academic, though so he throws in a little "material plane" knowledge.

"I'm pretty sure we docked there one time. We had to go starboard past the maelstrom then skirt the dragon's teeth. And, of course, there were those shoals that almost grounded us," he says.

Profession (Sailor): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

"If you let us, we Pathfinders would absolutely help you get home. I have no doubt about it. Between me and Dale, we could get you there and get you settled in."

Kahwen is a poor liar, but he feels like it would be kind to give these people some hope.

Bluff: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

The Exchange

Male Galtan Dictator/Thug 6 | HP 56 | AC: 24(29)* (T 17, FF 18) | CMD 21* | F: +6, R: +14, W: +3* | Init +7 | Per +10

Quillen arches an eyebrow at Kahwen's promises, but quickly throws in a little weight of his own.

"Oui, ze Pathfinders are always helping zose who need it. No doubt zey'd fund a major expedition to azzizt you in ze return..."

Bluff (aid): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Barely!

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

"Your friend has already impressed us with his knowledge, hoot," one of the syrinxes says to Kahwen, trying to hide his impatience with a group so focused on a single task.

Fortunately, the tengu switches tact and, with Quillen's help, convinces the Hhruul the Pathfinder Society possesses the means to help them.

The syrinxes step away from you for a moment, conferring with one another in a series of hushed hoots. They nod in agreement, turn to you, and speak.

"You seem to know hoot we can return to our nests in Arcadia, and we feel we can rely on assistance from your Society," another of them acknowledges.

"Hoot. The Pathfinders can count on the Hhruul giving a hoot about the tapestry."

Another post follows...

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

The Raegrigx Clan

This quartet of dragonlike humanoids brandish their spears, spreads their wings, and show their fangs in a display of angry snarls.

"Why should we listen to a band of thieves and murderers?" ask the wyvarans by way of greeting, when you approach them to parlay.

Like the Hhruul, they're wary of Pathfinders.

"The Aspis Consortium told us that the Pathfinder Society abducted us centuries ago to steal their treasures, leaving us trapped within the Hao Jin Tapestry," one of them accuses you.

"Several of our kin went along with the Aspis to attack the Grand Lodge and never returned. How can we trust a bunch of murderers like you?" another asks, bitter and angry.

"The current state of the tapestry, it's all the Society's fault anyway," a third blames you.

"Something needs to be done, but you're too weak and pathetic to do anything about the problems. Just admit it, and stop wasting our time," a fourth sneers, ready to turn away from the pointless meeting.

Encounter Mechanics
A different PC may attempt to try a task that the group has failed previously, taking a cumulative penalty for each previous failure. Only one PC may attempt to use aid another to assist a specific check.
Straight Talk: With a successful Diplomacy check, a PC can explain the truth about the Pathfinder Society and its long enmity with the Aspis Consortium, convincing the wyvarans that the Aspis told them outright lies.
Excessive Praise: With a successful Knowledge (arcana or local) check, a PC recognizes that wyvarans are quite proud, like dragons. Heaping praise and adulation upon them can help win them over.
Proper Tribute: A PC who succeeds at a more difficult Diplomacy or Bluff check can convince the wyvarans that, if they help, the Pathfinder Society will grant them treasure and territory as compensation.

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

"It is no surprise that the Aspis Consortium should wish to have the Wyvarans as allies. One need only look at the gleaming luster of your scales, the unmatched power of your teeth, or the glorious span of your wings. But even more, the far-renowned Wyvaran wisdom and acumen. The Aspis could hope for no better allies. But, now that you have the opportunity to see the Pathfinders for yourselves, I am certain that with the outstanding judgment for which Wyvarans are known you will conclude that we are not as we were made out to be. And we beseech you, in your majesty, to aid us."

Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (19) + 16 = 35

Grand Lodge

Male CG Vanaran Bloodrager 5/Brawler 1 | HP: 26/57| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8, CMD: 22 | F: +14, R: +7, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +8, SM: +5 | Speed 60 ft fly| Bloodrage: 4/14 | Flex: 0/4 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, bloodrage, resist fire 10, fly

"Why have there been so many beautiful and majestic draconic creatures on our travels in the tapestry?"

Aid Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

"I'm certain that my Companion, Quillen can explain it better, but I'm sure that what the Aspis have offered you is nothing compared to the gold and jewels and magic and land the Pathfinder Society will provide to you should you join us in repairing the tapestry," Kahwen says.

"Emperor?" he bows to the halfling as though he were the most eminent personage in the Society.

Bluff (Aid): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya acknowledges each of the wyvarans as they share their complaints, "A common refrain, I'm afraid, from those who deal with the Aspis. An organization founded on buying junk and reselling it as treasure. They're selling you a bill of lies. They have no love for the Society and seek to destroy us at every turn. Not for honor, unless you pray to stacks of gold. If anyone were to trap the noble Raegrigx Clan here in the tapestry, it would be those who serve to profit - the Aspis."

Diplo: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12

The Exchange

Male Galtan Dictator/Thug 6 | HP 56 | AC: 24(29)* (T 17, FF 18) | CMD 21* | F: +6, R: +14, W: +3* | Init +7 | Per +10

Sure helps when we know the angle, keeps it moving fast on PbP though!

I imagine we hit what we needed with Aroden's check, but I'll go ahead and play along with Kahwen for fun.

Quillen narrows his eyes at Kahwen but cannot help but to smile with satisfaction as he receives the adoration he has always sought.

"Rise, monsieur Kahwen, or pay your 'omage to ze wyvarans 'ere. Perhaps ze Society zomeday will give you treazures as befitting of your station as dragonblooded..."

Bluff (another check; probably unneeded with Kahwen's aid): 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 6 + 2 = 20

Quillen eyes the owlmen in the distance, smacking his lips and wanting... a lollipop?

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

The wyvarans emerge from the depths of Aroden's flattery, gasping at the deluge of flattery, egos stroked to an satiating, happy ending. N'Aranav ensures they never forget who provided the intimate, personal complimentary touch. "You're a good hand, rhetorically, and you've a keen eye for greatness, wizard, it's true."
(1 success)

Kimiya tries but fails to convince the Raegrigx Clan that the Aspis lied to them. "Nice try, nagaji," a wyvaran says, rolling his eyes.

Quillen, with Kahwen's help, almost convinces them that the Society will grant them rewards of treasure and territory.

The wyvarans get a greedy glint in their reptilian eyes. One of them licks her thin lips with a forked tongue. "You've piqued my interest, halfling. Your people owe a great deal to compensate for the damages inflicted up us. Care to show us some coin up front? A gesture of your personal goodwill as an agent of the Pathfinder Society?"

Sense Motive DC10:
Personally offering valuable tribute to the wyvarans might help convince the Raegrigx Clan that the Society will fulfill your promise of compensation.

The wyvarans focus on Dale, certain the human can't resist the urge to speak.
(Dale can attempt a Diplomacy check to provide 'Straight Talk' and hope to succeed where Kimiya failed; although, he will suffer the penalty for a member of the party trying the same task a second time.)

Successes: 1
Encounter Mechanics
A different PC may attempt to try a task that the group has failed previously, taking a cumulative penalty for each previous failure. Only one PC may attempt to use aid another to assist a specific check.
Straight Talk: With a successful Diplomacy check, a PC can explain the truth about the Pathfinder Society and its long enmity with the Aspis Consortium, convincing the wyvarans that the Aspis told them outright lies.
Excessive Praise: With a successful Knowledge (arcana or local) check, a PC recognizes that wyvarans are quite proud, like dragons. Heaping praise and adulation upon them can help win them over.
Proper Tribute: A PC who succeeds at a more difficult Diplomacy or Bluff check can convince the wyvarans that, if they help, the Pathfinder Society will grant them treasure and territory as compensation.

The Exchange

Male Galtan Dictator/Thug 6 | HP 56 | AC: 24(29)* (T 17, FF 18) | CMD 21* | F: +6, R: +14, W: +3* | Init +7 | Per +10

Sense Motive: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3

Quillen can't really suss out if the wyvarans are trying to trick him or not - it's difficult to read others through the radiance of your own splendor.

"Ehh, how about ze Zociety goodwill? I'm sure we 'ave zomething we can part with as a zign... "

Quillen keeps his thought to himself that follows.

Ze Zociety will zust take it from us later, anyway...

Going through the thread now... did we loot something valuable we could give to the wyvarans?

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

Sense Motive DC10: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Dragonkin, all the same. They love bribes!

Seeing them waver, Dale pulls out a potion vial that has the words Invisibility written across it. He pulls his pen from behind his ear and adds in the draconic spelling for the word below the Taldane version.

"Here, take this as a gesture of goodwill. Whoever drinks it will become invisible, for up to three minutes, or until they try to bite, claw, stab, or spell someone." He smiles, obviously trying to aid in the negotiation.

Straight Talk If still needed:

Dale throws his hat in the ring as a diplomat, even though that's not one of his strong suits. Diplomacy: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

"This place isn't doing very well and we're here to help. Isn't that enough?"

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

The wyvarans take the potion, and one of them dips a finger into the vial and flicks her forked tongue out, tasting and testing its contents.

Satisfied, she hands the potion to one of her subordinates and shakes Dale's hand.

"You've got yourself a deal, Pathfinders. We're not your friends, but we'll honor the transaction. Tell your leaders they have the cooperation of the Raegrigx Clan."

Another post follows...

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

The Faithful of Xiwu

Finally, you approach the Tian emissaries. Beneath their uniforms and battle armor, they're draped in frayed wrappings, like a squad of damaged mummies. Half of them appear calm, almost serene, while the other half of the group seems agitated, almost enraged.

"You are Pathfinders?" one of the serene mummies asks. "We have sworn eternal loyal service to the Lung Wa Empire."

The mummy's calm demeanor turns to rage, slamming one fist against his skull. "Why can't I remember my name!"

One confused mummy asks, "Who's in charge here? What are our orders?"

"We are under the command of... of... " another enraged mummy calms down, long enough to answer. "I'm sure I should know... "

Encounter Mechanics
A different PC may attempt to try a task that the group has failed previously, taking a cumulative penalty for each previous failure. Only one PC may attempt to use aid another to assist a specific check.
Give Aid: With a successful Heal or Knowledge (religion) check, a PC can help the Xiwunese repair their frayed magical wrappings, which have suffered from centuries of degradation. This calms the soldiers’ spirits, making them more reasonable.
Sense Loyalty: With a successful Sense Motive check, a PC can sense that these soldiers are fiercely loyal to the Lung Wa Empire, and are (perhaps willfully) ignorant of its downfall. The PC knows to play on the soldiers’ sense of duty but avoid mentioning their lost empire.
Command: With a successful Intimidate or Profession (soldier) check, a PC can take charge of the soldiers, commanding them to be honorable in this time of need.

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

Tien:
"Greetings, noble warriors of Lung Wa. We are from the Pathfinder Society and request your aid in repairing this realm. It is unraveling. Together we may be able to repair it. And in that spirit, may I attempt to help you repair your frayed garments?"

Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

The Exchange

Male Galtan Dictator/Thug 6 | HP 56 | AC: 24(29)* (T 17, FF 18) | CMD 21* | F: +6, R: +14, W: +3* | Init +7 | Per +10

Quillen's face flushes with anger at the sight of the unseemly mummy soldiers.

"You call yourzelf zoldiers?!?!"

He swiftly paces a line to-and-fro between the tattered remnants of what he's sure used to be some sort of troop.

The halfling then stops, pivots on his heel and glares at the mummies, slapping his rapier into his palm.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26

"ATTENTION! Zis is no time to babble like babies! Non! You are mummies! Act like it!"

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

At the mention of Lung Wa, Kimiya sneaks a quick glance at Aroden, s~!~. He squares his shoulders and steps forward, looking each of the mummies directly in the eye, "Warriors of the Lung Wa Empire, Fall In!." He pauses to allow them a moment to do so, aware they may have fallen out of practice. "Today is a fine day. We are Pathfinders and have come for your assistance. We're relying on the storied honor of the Lung Wa. We expect you comport yourselves accordingly."

Intimidate: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (20) + 16 = 36

haha Bruced! I guess mine can be an assist since it came in second.

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

Kahwen literally does not know how to deal with these people. He is nonplussed and uncomfortable with the way their attitudes keep shifting so dramatically.

When he realizes what Aroden is doing, he takes a step to help but then looks to his more knowledgeable companions to see if they would do a better job without him getting in the way.

I have none of these skills so I'm not going to take the chance of wasting an attempt or aid if someone else can do it.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Aroden speaks to the Tian emissaries in their native language, and then the wizard helps the Xiwunese repair their centuries-old, frayed magical wrappings. The soldiers’ spirits calm.
(1 success)

The simultaneous barking of commands by Quillen and Kimiya splits the ranks of the soldiers.
(1 success)

Three of them snap to attention and salute Quillen, as if he were their authoritarian mummy. "Sir! Yes, sir!" They quiver in anticipation for subsequent commands from their imperious new leader, ready to knock out some push-ups or to assume the position of the dying cockroach.

The other three fall in, dress right, dress, and waiting for instructions from Kimiya.

One of them requests permission to speak. With a nod from the samuarai, he steps forward one pace and bows to the waist. "Sensei, for the honor of the Emperor and for Lung Wa, we will serve the Pathfinder Society in its hour of need."

He bows deep again, and after Kimiya returns the bow, he returns to the rank, and stands at attention.

*EDIT*
The PCs unlock a special boost option for the Allied Offensive Aid Token.
Success reported to the Overseer GM.
Mission 1 is your final required task.

Another post follows...

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

As you trek through the multiverse of the Hao Jin Tapestry, you recall Venture-Captain Zarta Dralneen's mission statement: "Visit our Muckmouth lizardfolk allies, help them fight back an incursion of undead, and secure a source of magic relics for their tribe."

The Muckmouth is the cavernous home of the Muckmouth lizardfolk. The caves and their inhabitants were accidentally transported into the tapestry when Hao Jin extracted her intended target—a network of serpentfolk ruins.

When you arrive at the Muckmouth caves, the guards usher you inside.

The Muckmouth tribe’s caves are dry but littered with the bones of cave-dwelling fish. In the central cavern, a small band of bedraggled lizardfolk watch as their ancient leader limps forward.

Long strings of tiny bones dangle from her armbands, clacking on the stone floor. "Welcome, Pathfinder friends. I am Oosthic, and I remember my tribe’s debt to you for rescuing our eggs and our home."

"We must call on your strength once more." A sigh escapes her chattering, almost toothless gums. "Our water has vanished. Without water, the Muckmouth grow weak. Many have perished seeking water in the ancient ruins beneath our home. The ruins are crumbling, and the living dead slither from the walls. I fear the serpent empire seeks vengeance against the Muckmouth for disturbing its ruins, but we had no choice."

The crone pleads, "Destroy the undead and secure the lost magic of the serpentfolk for our tribe. The Muckmouth must survive!"

She leans on her staff, shaking with palsy and looking at you with rheumy eyes, awaiting your reply.

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

Dale finally pulls his gaping jaw shut as the others convince the mummies they are on the Pathfinder's side. "Oh, if only I had more time! Ancient mummies? Thing of all the lost knowledge they have! Oooooo!" He whines a bit as the others drag him forward, pointing to their Pathfinder issued wrist watches and frowning.

-----

"Hey there Muckmouth friends. I am Dale." He takes off his tricorner hat and bows. "We are here to do just those things. We will find your lost water and beat back those restless dead." He swings his hat back on top of his head, keeping one eye on the obviously jealous Halfling (Dale's hat is far finer than his).

"What sort of the dead are you having problems with? Are they hordes of clattering skeletons or lurching waves of zombies? Or perhaps are they wispy shadows or ghosts? Smart, conniving ghouls and ghasts?" He goes back and forth with the woman to hopefully get a bit of intel on what exactly they'll be facing.

K Religion: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31

GM: What did you say was the time between missions? An hour? If so my heroism is defunct at the moment.

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

Wow...I never thought we'd be able to get through all 6 missions, but it looks like we could. Thanks everyone for keeping up such a tremendous pace.

Kahwen bows as Oosthic steps forward and presents the problems facing the lizardfolk. He gulps at the mention of "serpent empires" and "slithering."

Yet he musters his courage. "Friend Dale, is right. It will be our honor to aid you and your people," he says.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Oosthic crooks an arthritic claw at two lizardfolk warriors, summoning them to come closer.

The two males stalk over. Like most lizardfolk, they stand 6 to 7 feet tall and weigh 200 to 250 pounds, their powerful muscles covered in scales of gray, green, or brown. One of them has short dorsal spikes, and the other has brightly colored frills.

"Snape. Malfoy. Tell this nice young man what you've seen."

Snape, the warrior with the dorsal spikes, shudders. "Some of them look like shuffling humanoids wrapped in strips of moldering linen."

Malfoy, the warrior with the frills around his neck, nods. "And others look like walking corpses with rotting and putrid flesh, their bodies skeletal in places and their eye sockets glowing with red light."

"Anything else, boys?" Oosthic urges them to elaborate. "Go on. They don't have all day."

The warriors exchange a glance, and Snape coughs before adding, "They seem able to operate effectively without vision. Like they had sensitivity to vibrations, acute scent, keen hearing, or echolocation, maybe?"

Malfoy nods again, "And they can pass through earth and stone to water and lava as easily as a fish swims through water. Strange."

From what he's heard, Dale suspects the Muckmouth warriors have encountered some variant of mummies and wights. He'd know for sure, if he'd seen them himself.

Then the alchemist recalls the halfling Janira Gavix, back in Skyreach before the team deployed, trying to tell anyone who would listen about something called 'soul stitching.' The bard had said that an undead creature created by the tapestry’s malfunctioning repair mechanism has a special connection to the demiplane’s fabric. She described the very features that the lizardfolk are now describing.

"Why thank you, son. A tengu, right?" Oosthic cackles, smiling at Kahwen. "I remember a rhyme my ol' nan taught me a century ago. Four-and-twenty blackbirds baked in a pie..."

Another post follows...

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

When you're ready, the Muckmouth sentries lead you through twisting passages to a ruined serpentfolk city cradled in a steep-walled mountain valley.

You emerge from the tunnels into a valley filled with crumbling buildings and a massive ziggurat. The lizardfolk guides halt. "Oosthic ordered us to go no further until you have eliminated any nearby dangers."

You don't travel very far, before you see creatures resembling those the Muckmouth warriors had described: a shuffling humanoid wrapped in rotting linen, and a pair of walking corpses.

Knowledge (religion) DC13:
This pair of creatures are unraveling wights, medium-sized undead with the unraveling template. For every 5 you exceed the DC, you may ask one question from this list.

Knowledge (religion) DC15:
This creature is an unraveling mummy, a medium-sized undead with the unraveling template. For every 5 you exceed the DC, you may ask one question from this list.

Initiative:

Kahwen: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Aroden: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Quillen: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Kimiya: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
N’aranav: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Dale: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Bandaged Humanoid: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (9) + 0 = 9
Walking Corpses: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

Map & Images

Round 1
Bold
may act.

Quillen
Kahwen
Kimiya
Aroden
N'Aranav

---
2 'walking corpses' ??
'Bandaged humanoid' ??
---
Dale
Quillen, Kahwen, Kimiya, Aroden, and N'Aranav, you're up!

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

"Woah! There they are!"

K Religion DC13: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15
K Religion DC15: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21 Special Attacks

What is the 'unraveling' template entail? Or do I not get what that is. I wanted to ask instead of looking it up.

Dale starts yapping about creation methods of undead as well as some of their general weaknesses and strengths.

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21 Special attacks for these guys - Dale got the others.
Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18

Aroden engages Dale in an ongoing discussion of theories of undeath, before casting Haste on the party.

"Use ranged attacks or wait for them to come to us! We have the advantage on them! DON'T JUST RUN IN THERE!"

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya is about to do exactly what Aroden cautions against and then decides he probably does not want to isolate himself. He looks around for the best place to engage and moves up, reading an attack if they come near.

Readied Attack:

+1 naginata + Haste: 1d20 + 13 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 13 + 1 = 19
Dmg: 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12 Lethal

Grand Lodge

Male CG Vanaran Bloodrager 5/Brawler 1 | HP: 26/57| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8, CMD: 22 | F: +14, R: +7, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +8, SM: +5 | Speed 60 ft fly| Bloodrage: 4/14 | Flex: 0/4 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, bloodrage, resist fire 10, fly

N'Aranav moves up with Kimiya and concentrates on his battle form.

Move and activate Weapon Focus (unarmed strike) as a move action with Martial Flexibility, Bloodrage for free

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Dale recognizes the two 'unraveling' wights and the mummy. Unraveling is another name for 'soul stitching.' In addition to the usual undead traits, an undead creature created by the tapestry’s malfunctioning repair mechanism has a special connection to the demiplane’s fabric. They have blindsense and can pass through earth and stone to water and lava as easily as a fish swims through water.

An unraveling mummy's slam attack can infect a victim with mummy rot.

Mummy Rot (Su):
Curse and disease—slam; save Fort DC 16; onset 1 minute; frequency 1/day; effect 1d6 Con and 1d6 Cha; cure —Mummy rot is both a curse and disease and can only be cured if the curse is first removed, at which point the disease can be magically removed. Even after the curse element of mummy rot is lifted, a creature suffering from it cannot recover naturally over time. Anyone casting a conjuration (healing) spell on the afflicted creature must succeed on a DC 20 caster level check, or the spell is wasted and the healing has no effect. Anyone who dies from mummy rot turns to dust and cannot be raised without a resurrection or greater magic. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Aroden identifies the undead creatures as well. He warns you that the unraveling wights' slam attacks include the possibility of energy drain, and they can create spawn, turning their slain victims into wights.

The wizard pulls a shaving of licorice root from his spell component pouch and casts haste on the team.

Kimiya moves forward across the stone bridge, ready to attack, when the undead get closer, and a raging N'Aranav follows the samurai.

Map & Images

Effects:
Haste

Round 1
Bold
may act.

Quillen
Kahwen

Kimiya (Readied Action)
Aroden
N'Aranav
---
Green Unraveling Wight
Yellow Unraveling Wight
Unraveling Mummy
---
Dale
Quillen and Kahwen, you're up!

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

Kahwen gulps nervously as Oosthic mentions an old nursery rhyme that tengu mothers do NOT use and ogre mothers use as a recipe. He is careful to back away as he bows his way out of her presence and follows along with the Lizardfolk warriors.

He is not more comforted by their descriptions of the enemies they might face or Dale and Aroden's confirmation of their abilities. The possibility that these things can "swim" through the tapestry is just creepy. For all they know, they may be walking over dozens of them at any moment.

The burst of speed Aroden gives him eases his discomfort a bit...or at least distracts him and he hurries up the steps and across the field to get an angle on one of the wights. He's not going to do much damage with his bow, but Aroden is right, better to not get too close if they don't have to.

shortbow plus Haste vs. Yellow: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11
arrow: 1d6 ⇒ 6

The Exchange

Male Galtan Dictator/Thug 6 | HP 56 | AC: 24(29)* (T 17, FF 18) | CMD 21* | F: +6, R: +14, W: +3* | Init +7 | Per +10

Quillen marches alongside Kimiya, not to be shown up by the fellow soldier.

He narrows his eyes at the remnants of the stone walls, ready for the attackers to come and meet their end.

We rested right? AC up to 31 fighting defensively with haste.

Readied Attack:

Rapier #1 (power attack, flank, haste, defensive): 1d20 + 14 - 2 + 2 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (10) + 14 - 2 + 2 + 1 - 4 = 21 for 1d4 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 10 + 4 = 18

If hit, Quillen will also try to parry/riposte. Roll those in advance? Or wait?

Quillen Status:

HP: 56/56; AC: (31) 24* (T17/FF18)
Underfoot: +1AC vs larger opponents
Cautious Fighter: When fighting defensively, +5 instead of +3

F: +5*, R: +13, W: +2
Charmed Life Used: 0/3
Panache Pool Used: 0/3

AC: 10 +5 armor, +5 Dex, +1 dodge, +2 shield, +1 size +1 underfoot +5 defensively
Attack: +5 BAB +5 Dex +1 size +1 focus +1 magic +1 rapier training = +14
Damage: +5 Dex (fencing grace) +4 power attack +2 rapier training +1 magic = +12 +5 swashbuckler (precision) = +17

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Kahwen crosses the stone bridge, puts a little distance between himself and the rest of the team, and fires an arrow at one of the wights, missing his intended target.

Quillen follows and takes a ready position on the vanguard's opposite flank.

Then the yellow wight slips beneath the ground, and after a few seconds, the earth ripples as the wight remerges adjacent N'Aranav. It slams a clawed fist into the vanaran's chest, and the bloodrager feels like an icy hand is crushing his heart, draining his life essence.
Slam; Damage: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 201d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

1 Negative Level:
For each negative level a creature has, it takes a cumulative –1 penalty on all ability checks, attack rolls, combat maneuver checks, Combat Maneuver Defense, saving throws, and skill checks. In addition, the creature reduces its current and total hit points by 5 for each negative level it possesses. The creature is also treated as one level lower for the purpose of level-dependent variables (such as spellcasting) for each negative level possessed. Spellcasters do not lose any prepared spells or slots as a result of negative levels. If a creature’s negative levels equal or exceed its total Hit Dice, it dies.
A creature with temporary negative levels receives a new saving throw to remove the negative level each day. The save is DC14.

The green wight wends its way around and through the ruins and approaches Kimiya and Quillen. Kimiya's naginata bites deep into its undead flesh. Then Quillen's thrust puts the foul creature down for eternity.

Finally, the unraveling mummy dives through earth and stone, breaking back through the surface practically at the feet of the vanaran and the nagaji. Kahwen, Kimiya, N'Aranav, and Quillen are the first to sense the undead horror's aura of despair.

Kahwen, Kimiya, N'Aranav, and Quillen DC16 Will or:
Paralyzed for 1d4 ⇒ 3 rounds

Map & Images

Effects:
Haste

Round 1/2
Bold
may act.

Quillen
Kahwen
[-4 (-9 with neg. level); 1 Negative Level]
Kimiya
Aroden
N'Aranav

---
Yellow Unraveling Wight
Unraveling Mummy
---
Dale

Everybody, you're up!

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya is wholly unprepared for what happens. He somehow helps Quillen take down one of the wights and then he just ... stops. He tries to turn and see what's happening to the others but can do nothing but stare at a flap of cloth waving in an unfelt wind. He can sense the mummy beside him but is unable to do anything about it.

Will: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

I can't imagine why this mission has under-reported successes! How many TPKs? wow!

Grand Lodge

Male CG Vanaran Bloodrager 5/Brawler 1 | HP: 26/57| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8, CMD: 22 | F: +14, R: +7, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +8, SM: +5 | Speed 60 ft fly| Bloodrage: 4/14 | Flex: 0/4 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, bloodrage, resist fire 10, fly

N'Aranav freezes seeing the mummy advance, his first encounter with such powerful undeath, but shakes his head to clear it.

will save: 1d20 + 7 - 1 ⇒ (17) + 7 - 1 = 23

Grand Lodge

Male CG Vanaran Bloodrager 5/Brawler 1 | HP: 26/57| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8, CMD: 22 | F: +14, R: +7, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +8, SM: +5 | Speed 60 ft fly| Bloodrage: 4/14 | Flex: 0/4 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, bloodrage, resist fire 10, fly

Seeing the samurai tense up, N'Aranav lays into the mummy with several punches, trying to sizzle it with electricity, then backs away growling and scraping the ground - hoping to lure it from his helpless friend.

Unarmed strike: 1d20 + 11 - 1 ⇒ (15) + 11 - 1 = 25
Damage: 1d6 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14
Hasted Unarmed strike: 1d20 + 11 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 11 - 1 = 11
Damage: 1d6 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17
Iterative Unarmed strike: 1d20 + 6 - 1 ⇒ (4) + 6 - 1 = 9
Damage: 1d6 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16

If any of those hit, will use spell conduit to swift action cast shocking grasp through the hit for electric: 5d6 ⇒ (4, 3, 1, 4, 4) = 16 extra damage

hasted bloodraged power attacks then 5-foot step back

added neg level to my rolls and adjusted current and max hp

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Kimiya is paralyzed by the unraveling mummy's powerful aura of despair.

Despite the draining effects of the wight's attack, N'Aranav launches a combination of strikes at the mummy. One of his punches lands, and though it somehow absorbs some of the force of the blow, the electric charge rocks the mummy.

Kahwen and Quillen DC16 Will or:
Paralyzed for 1d4 ⇒ 3 rounds

Map & Images

Effects:
Haste

Round 1/2
Bold
may act.

Quillen
Kahwen

Kimiya (Paralyzed for 3 rounds)
Aroden
N'Aranav [-4 (-9 with neg. level); 1 Negative Level]
---
Yellow Unraveling Wight
Unraveling Mummy (-25)
---
Dale

Dale, Quillen, Kahwen, and N'Aranav, you're up!

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

"OBEY."
Aroden casts Command Undead on the mummy, spending a reservoir point to boost it to Will DC 19.

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

This is pretty much exactly what Kahwen expected to happen when he heard about the strange abilities of undead in the tapestry...only way worse.

Will: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

He can do nothing but stare, his own imminent mortality freezing his limbs in place.

Grand Lodge

|| Spell Templates

**OVERSEER ANNOUNCEMENT**

The repair teams have patched the rift beneath the Muckmouth. They discovered that the tapestry itself is generating massive amounts of necromantic energy around the rifts. The Muckmouth is secured!

GMs, the Muckmouth Secured condition on Page 10 is now in effect!

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Now that the Muckmouth is secured, the lizardfolk lend their newfound magic to the Society.
Effect: The group gains one free use of the Aid Token’s Burst of Healing benefit that the PCs can activate at their discretion.

GM Screen:
Mummy Will DC19: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Aroden commands the mummy to obey him. The undead creature pauses, cocking its ear toward the wizard.

But the unraveling mummy's aura of despair proves too powerful for Kahwen, as well, and he joins Kimiya among the paralyzed.

Quillen DC16 Will or:
Paralyzed for 1d4 ⇒ 3 rounds

Map & Images

Effects:
Haste

Round 1/2
Bold
may act.

Quillen
Kahwen (Paralyzed for 3 rounds)
Kimiya (Paralyzed for 3 rounds)
Aroden
N'Aranav [-4 (-9 with neg. level); 1 Negative Level]
---
Yellow Unraveling Wight
Unraveling Mummy (-25)
---
Dale

Dale and Quillen, you're up!

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

Is it an action to command the mummy once the spell takes effect? Aroden would like to command it to walk away.

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

Dale cocks an ear towards their resident arcane spellcaster as he casts a spell Spellcraft to ID Spell: DC17: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17

"Oh, command undead. A great choice here! Everyone, make sure you don't do anything to that scary mummy or you'll break the spell!" Seeing as everyone is none to active near said mummy, and not wanting his bombs to splash, he draws out his wand of magic missiles.

"Be nice to me today wand, I didn't forget what you did to me yesterday!"

UMD: Wand of MM CL3rd vs Wight: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18
Again the wand fails to activate, but at least this time it doesn't smoke and pop angrily.

"Umm, minor malfunction, sorry. Just another moment please..." Dale holds his ground and gives the wand a good look over.

Grand Lodge

|| Spell Templates

**OVERSEER ANNOUNCEMENT**

The repair teams have patched the rift at the Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment. The nightmare is over, and Korada’s faithful now lend us their aid! The Temple is secured!

GMs, the Temple Secured condition on page 11 is in effect!

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

The Society has secured the Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment, and the faithful of Korada disperse from the temple to provide healing to the Pathfinders.

Effect: Once during the adventure, the PCs can activate this benefit to instantaneously cure every PC of the following conditions: fatigued, shaken, sickened, dazed, and staggered.

The Exchange

Male Galtan Dictator/Thug 6 | HP 56 | AC: 24(29)* (T 17, FF 18) | CMD 21* | F: +6, R: +14, W: +3* | Init +7 | Per +10

Will w/Charmed Life: 1d20 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 2 + 3 = 23

Quillen shrugs off the mummy's aura, stepping forward and plunging his rapier ahead (5ft step; at red - the wight, right?).

"En garde!"

Attacks:

Rapier #1 (power attack, haste, defensive): 1d20 + 14 - 2 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (10) + 14 - 2 + 1 - 4 = 19 for 1d4 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 10 + 4 = 15
Rapier #2 (power attack, haste, defensive): 1d20 + 14 - 2 + 1 - 4 - 5 ⇒ (19) + 14 - 2 + 1 - 4 - 5 = 23 for 1d4 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 10 + 4 = 15
Rapier hasted (power attack, haste, defensive): 1d20 + 14 - 2 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (15) + 14 - 2 + 1 - 4 = 24 for 1d4 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 10 + 4 = 16

Rapier #2 crit confirm (power attack, haste, defensive): 1d20 + 14 - 2 + 1 - 4 - 5 ⇒ (10) + 14 - 2 + 1 - 4 - 5 = 14 for 1d4 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 10 + 4 = 18
Rapier hasted crit confirm(power attack, haste, defensive): 1d20 + 14 - 2 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (1) + 14 - 2 + 1 - 4 = 10 for 1d4 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 10 + 4 = 16

Quillen Status:

HP: 56/56; AC: (31) 24* (T17/FF18)
Underfoot: +1AC vs larger opponents
Cautious Fighter: When fighting defensively, +5 instead of +3

F: +5*, R: +13, W: +2
Charmed Life Used: 1/3
Panache Pool Used: 0/3

Grand Lodge

|| Spell Templates

**OVERSEER ANNOUNCEMENT**

The waters of the Eternal Lake flow once more, and our repair teams have patched the nearby rift. The kappas make for strange companions, but they have pledged unending loyalty to the Society. The Eternal Lake is secured!

GMs, the Eternal Lake Secured condition on page 11 is in effect!

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Dale fiddle-fumbles one of his wands, and then Quillen dances closer to the unraveling wight and sticks the undead creature three times with the pointy end of his rapier. The first two thrusts prove sufficient to put the wight to rest.

The unraveling mummy looks at Aroden, speaking in archaic Taldane. "Master, it would be my honor to slay these mortals and feast on their warm flesh for you. Just say the word, and your servant will obey."

Map & Images

Effects:
Haste

Round 1/2
Bold
may act.

Quillen
Kahwen
(Paralyzed for 2 more rounds)
Kimiya (Paralyzed for 3 more rounds)
Aroden
N'Aranav
[-4 (-9 with neg. level); 1 Negative Level]
---
Unraveling Mummy (-25)
---
Dale

Everyone, you're up!

251 to 300 of 571 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Lorenzo's #10-00: The Hao Jin Cataclysm (Tier 5-6) PbP Gameday VIII All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.