GM Lorenzo's #10-00: The Hao Jin Cataclysm (Tier 5-6) PbP Gameday VIII (Inactive)

Game Master Lawrence Smith 2

Maps, Handouts, and More!


101 to 150 of 571 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
The Exchange

Male Galtan Dictator/Thug 6 | HP 56 | AC: 24(29)* (T 17, FF 18) | CMD 21* | F: +6, R: +14, W: +3* | Init +7 | Per +10

With Dale providing a tactical advantage, Quillen grunts his reluctant approval. The sage kept surprising the halfling at every opportunity.

"Merci, Monsieur Dale!"

Quillen is almost apologetic as he stabs at the prone duergar three times in succession.

Rapier #1 (power attack, flank, haste, defensive): 1d20 + 12 - 2 + 2 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (3) + 12 - 2 + 2 + 1 - 4 = 12 for 1d4 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 10 + 4 = 18 with sneak 1d6 ⇒ 1

Rapier #2 (power attack, flank, haste, defensive): 1d20 + 12 - 2 + 2 + 1 - 4 - 5 ⇒ (6) + 12 - 2 + 2 + 1 - 4 - 5 = 10 for 1d4 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 10 + 4 = 18 with sneak 1d6 ⇒ 3

Rapier hasted (power attack, flank, haste, defensive): 1d20 + 12 - 2 + 2 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (5) + 12 - 2 + 2 + 1 - 4 = 14 for 1d4 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 10 + 4 = 17 with sneak 1d6 ⇒ 6

In fact, the halfling appears somewhat reluctant to best a foe so hindered.

Quillen Status:

HP: 53/56; AC: (31) 24* (T17/FF18)
Underfoot: +1AC vs larger opponents
Cautious Figher: When fighting defensively, +5 instead of +3

F: +5*, R: +13, W: +2
Charmed Life Used: 0/3
Panache Pool Used: 0/3

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Rolling back and forth on the floor of the cavern, the yellow duergar dodges all three of Quillen's powerful thrusts.

The yellow duergar barks an order at his red subordinate.

Undercommon:
"Defend the stone at all costs! If the ritual is not completed, Aslynn will take your soul instead of the captives' as punishment for your failure!"

Then he swings his warhammer at N'Aranav, the only foe within his reach that seems to be a threat to him.
warhammer, Power Attack, Prone, Demoralized (Shaken); Damage: 1d20 + 11 - 2 - 4 - 2 ⇒ (11) + 11 - 2 - 4 - 2 = 142d6 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (3, 2) + 4 + 4 = 13
warhammer, Power Attack, Prone, Demoralized (Shaken); Damage: 1d20 + 6 - 2 - 4 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 6 - 2 - 4 - 2 = 152d6 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (4, 3) + 4 + 4 = 15

The red duergar gets to his feet and hurls a bomb, point-blank at Kimiya.
Bomb; Fire Damage: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 161d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Map & Images

Effects:
Dim Light
Haste

Round 3/4
Bold
may act.

Aroden (-2)
---
Yellow Duergar (-60; prone, demoralized)
Red Duergar (-8; prone)
---
Kahwen (-29, disabled, staggered)
N'Aranav
Quillen
(-3)
Kimiya (-19)
Dale

Everybody, you're up!

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya is ignoring the red duergar on the ground and misses the bomb. Until it explodes in his face. He looks quickly between the two and steps forward, attacking the bomber, they can take care of the other one and I can slap him if he tries to get up, "get back down on the ground! We can end this peacefully!"

Naginata 1 + Haste: 1d20 + 13 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 13 + 1 = 23
NL Dmg 1: 1d8 + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 16
Naginata 2 + Haste: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 8 + 1 = 23
NL Dmg 2: 1d8 + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 17 + 1 Bleed for 2 rounds if 23 hits
Naginata Hasted + Haste: 1d20 + 13 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 13 + 1 = 30
NL Dmg Hasted: 1d8 + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 19 + 1 Bleed for 2 rounds if 23 hits
Intimidate: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (19) + 16 = 35

5', full attack red
Red most likely demoralized
AC18/T13, HP 32/51

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

Dale nods to the halfling before brushing his hair out of his eyes and swinging in quick succession at the tough fella on the ground.

Melee MW Yellow-wood Club, Haste, Flank: 1d20 + 4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 1 + 2 = 101d6 ⇒ 6
Melee MW Yellow-wood Club, Haste, Flank: 1d20 + 4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 4 + 1 + 2 = 181d6 ⇒ 5

"His abilities while horizontal are impressive." Murmurs Dale before he rethinks on what he said. I believe that is one of those classic 'that's what he/she said...' lines.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Delivering three solid blows with the flat of his naginata to the red duergar, Kimiya demonstrates how nonlethal damage can prove fatal. The duergar's knees buckle, and she falls in a bruised and lifeless heap at his feet.

Dale manages to hit the duergar leader once, and it's enough to knock him unconscious.

Map & Images

The Wounded
Aroden (-2)
Kahwen (-29, disabled, staggered)
Quillen (-3)
Kimiya (-19)
Yellow Duergar (-65; unconscious)

The ghouls carried nothing, but searching of the duergar, you gather a potion of cure moderate wounds, a potion of invisibility, four potions of cure light wounds, four potions of detect secret doors, four potions of expeditious retreat, four potions of negate aroma, two pouches containing dust of tracelessness, 14 flasks of alchemist’s fire, 14 thunderstones, 12 flasks of acid, 12 smokesticks, 12 tanglefoot bags, 12 tindertwigs, and 55gp.

Notable arms and armor include a +1 chain shirt, a +1 warhammer, and a masterwork light crossbow.

The bombardiers carried formula books with recipes for the following extracts: bomber’s eye, shield, and true strike.

The eery glow of the black sapphire reveals thirteen captives—a mix of ratfolk, wayangs, and dwarves—lying around the gemstone. They are unconscious and suffer from some kind of fever.

Heal DC17:
The captives suffer from a disease called Demon Fever: contact; save Hard Fort DC; onset immediate; frequency 1/day; effect 1d6 Con damage (target must save a 2nd time or 1 point of the damage is drain instead); cure 2 consecutive saves.

Grand Lodge

Male CG Vanaran Bloodrager 5/Brawler 1 | HP: 26/57| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8, CMD: 22 | F: +14, R: +7, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +8, SM: +5 | Speed 60 ft fly| Bloodrage: 4/14 | Flex: 0/4 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, bloodrage, resist fire 10, fly

N'Aranav loosens up his kicks, realizing the Duergar is not as much of a threat as he first thought.

unarmed power attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
unarmed damage: 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
hasted unarmed power attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
unarmed damage: 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
unarmed power attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
unarmed damage: 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Yep, had the fighting defensive penalty active last time, just roleplaying my 8 INT, I guess

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya kneels beside the fallen duergar, saying a quiet prayer to Sarenrae for their fallen foes.

"How is everyone holding up? I could use a couple of these potions but Kahwen looks a little worse for wear.."

He walks over to examine the captives, "can anyone tell what's wrong with them? Did we stop the ritual?"
Perception sapphire: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

Kahwen takes one of the lesser curative potions to fight off the wooziness.

CLW Potion: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

He has little knowledge of healing or what makes people sick or not so the takes the simple expedient of just pulling the unconscious people away from the gem.

"What's wrong with them, companions?"

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Kimiya says a prayer over his vanquished foe, then tries to talk to one of the unconscious captives, who moans in a fitful sleep, but otherwise doesn't respond.

Kahwen downs one of the potions of cure light wounds you recovered.

Perception:

Kahwen: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31
Aroden: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11
Quillen: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15
Kimiya: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
N’aranav: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Dale: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

You take a look around, and Kahwen and Kimiya see that their reflection in one of the stone’s facets is corpse-thin, fanged, and purple.

You can collect information about the stone for your mission in three ways.
First, you can heal one or more of the captives enough to bring them to consciousness and attempt a Diplomacy or Heal check to help the terrified slaves recount their experiences.
Second, you can attempt a Knowledge (arcana, planes, or religion) check to examine the stone and try to understand its nature and function.
Finally, Kahwen and Kimiya may attempt DC20 Knowledge (planes) check to recognize the reflection they saw in the black sapphire.

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya is started by his reflection and looks at Kahwen, "that was disturbing, what was it?" He turns to the others and describes what he saw. He shudders and points to the captives, "I think we need to wake them up and ask what was going on? I don't know enough to know how to proceed." He retrieves one of the potions and drinks it.

CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
I have no knowledge checks, let alone a useful one here.
HP 36/51

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

Kahwen is quite nonplussed by his odd reflection...all the more so because fangs on a beak is quite terrifying.

He nods at both of of Kimiya's questions and looks to the more knowledgeable members of the party. "Kimiya's right. We have to help these people but I don't know what to do. The gem is casting odd reflections, though. I bet its something to do with that."

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

Dale puffs his chest out a bit as his clubbing is the decisive blow "Guess I had a bit more melee capability in me than I thought!" He grins from ear to ear, even more so when he sees formula books on some of the fallen duergar. "OOOOOooo let's see what these neophytes know..." He quickly flips the pages in one, two, no three books and finds what look like mimeographed copies of the same three formulas. "Ah nuggets. I've known those for quite a while now, oh well."

Once the major distraction is sated, Dale turns his attention to one of his many favorite realms of knowledge: Medicine.

Knowing full well he's very well read and up to date in doctoral articles he takes one look at the state of the captives and whistles low and slow "Demon fever, no mistaking it. A disease that attacks your constitution every day until you finally pass on. Hard to shake too."

Does Dale know how its contracted? AKA: Are they contagious?

As far as the remaining checks for the stone: I can make them with Dale but don't want to make all the checks, unless that's what's desired.

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

Aroden retrieves his bolas.
"Any of you who need healing can use my wand as well."
Have a wand of CLW with 38 charges and am willing to share.
He examines the magical properties of the stone, but seems distracted, so his assessment is not particularly helpful.

Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (3) + 16 = 19

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

When Aroden mentions a wand, Kimiya is almost physically startled. He quickly rummages through his pack and pulls out his own wand, "hah! I almost forgot I had this. Would you mind doing the honors Aroden? I don't know how they work." He waits patiently while Aroden heals him and then holds it out for Kahwen to borrow if so inclined.

"Dale, that sounds horrible. I think I'll stay over here unless we can get one of them talking. I don't know if towering over them would make a difference at that point but I'm can attempt to intimidate them if it would help."

CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
HP 51/51
CLW Wand 47/50 remaining

The Exchange

Male Galtan Dictator/Thug 6 | HP 56 | AC: 24(29)* (T 17, FF 18) | CMD 21* | F: +6, R: +14, W: +3* | Init +7 | Per +10

Definitely roll any checks you can make! You're the expect, so at least my PC would look to you to "solve" these things.

Quillen frowns and kicks the fallen duergar to ensure he's not going to rise back up anytime soon.

"Zo, zis demon fever... any chance ze fallen turn to zemons? Should ah be ready to impale them?"

Quillen takes a few swings with his rapier, being able (or unwilling?) to offer little to remedy their condition.

As the others glance at their reflections, Quillen will take a look to see how his own image is reflected, expecting to see a fanged version of himself looking back.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Aroden made one skill check, but his result didn't quite meet the DC. Just want to reiterate what needs to happen, so you can accomplish your mission here:

GM wrote:

You can collect information about the stone for your mission in three ways.

First, you can heal one or more of the captives enough to bring them to consciousness and attempt a Diplomacy or Heal check to help the terrified slaves recount their experiences.
Second, you can attempt a Knowledge (arcana, planes, or religion) check to examine the stone and try to understand its nature and function.
Finally, Kahwen and Kimiya may attempt DC20 Knowledge (planes) check to recognize the reflection they saw in the black sapphire.

If you can do any or all of the above, please don't hold back.

Grand Lodge

Male CG Vanaran Bloodrager 5/Brawler 1 | HP: 26/57| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8, CMD: 22 | F: +14, R: +7, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +8, SM: +5 | Speed 60 ft fly| Bloodrage: 4/14 | Flex: 0/4 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, bloodrage, resist fire 10, fly

N'Aranav picks up the stone and peers at it for a long time.

know arcana: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

Still unsure about the dangerous of possible infection with Demon fever, and is quite interested in this glowing crystal.. the decision is obvious "Having trouble? Let me have a look."

K Arcana DC20: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13

"Umm... hrm, quite puzzling. Very puzzling!" He turns to Kahwen "Did you say it gave an odd reflection? Let me have a look.. over here? This facet? Eww, who's that hairy guy with the strange eyes?"

K Planes: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya offers up his wand again, "will this heal any of the captives enough so that we can talk to them?"

Don't have UMD so cannot do it myself.

If healed:
He kneels before the captive, "you're ok now. Your captors are no longer an issue. Can you tell us what happened and we'll get you out of here?"

Diplo: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

Kahwen will drink another of the potions, still not feeling too great.

CMW potion: 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (7, 7) + 3 = 17

Then, he pulls out his own wand. "Many thanks, friend Kimiya, but one of the first things they taught me at the Grand Lodge was to buy one of these."

He waits for someone with the power to do so to use the wand on him.

CLW Wand: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

And again.

CLW Wand: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

"Oh, one of us should definitely take this," he says, holding up the potion of invisibility to show Quillen.

Feeling much better and with the more interesting gear from the bad dwarves dealt with, he settle down to listen to what Dale knows.

Hey...when the Disable Device and Acrobatics checks pop up, Kahwen's going to be doing all of them with zest and glee. Pathfinder groups are a gathering of different people with particular sets of skills. We'd be fools not to let the experts handle their areas of expertise.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Several of you study the black sapphire, but without success.

Taking a cue from Kahwen and Kimiya, Dale takes the time to peer at the stone long enough to eventually see a reflection similar to the one they described, corpse-thin, fanged, and purple. (Taking 20 Perception on Dale's behalf.)

Dale recognizes these as the facial features of a night hag, a medium-sized outsider, extraplanar and evil.

Kimiya is moved to pity for the unfortunate captives and offers his own wand of cure light wounds to heal them.

One of you, feeling somewhat guilty for ignoring their plight, finally takes the samurai's wand and uses it to heal one of the unconscious captives.

Roused by the curative effects of the wand, one of the dwarf slaves groans, weak and disoriented. "Such nightmares! What happened?" She looks around, terrified when she sees the glowing black gemstone.

Comforted by Kimiya, the dwarf recounts the captives' experiences. "The duergar spoke of a bargain they made with a 'witch.' They made us touch the stone. It made us sick and sapped our constitution. I couldn't keep my eyes open, once they made me touch that evil thing. Asleep, I've had nightmares of a dark void."

What do you want to do?

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

Dale is the only one who can use a CLW wand.

And that's a 3, a 3, and a 1 on our Arcana checks!

Aroden speaks to the dwarf. "Be at peace, stone-child. We will get you to safety. Can you tell us more about what happened?"
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

"Sorry, that's all I know," the drained dwarf answers Aroden's request for more information, turning her head away from the skull-sized stone and screwing her eyes shut.

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

He drags out his journal to take notes:

"So, it seems like we've got some sort of evil hag that convinced the duergar to bargain with her... I assume their end was bringing slaves to touch this stone. Must let her give them this demon fever I guess? Should we try to wake the KO'd duergar and see what sort of extra info we can get out of this?" He asks the others.

Dale proves to be quite busy, healing people with wands (and enjoying learning the new and unique activation phrases of each). "My healing wand also came courteous of the Society, but more specifically from a troupe of Halfling clerics that really enjoy cooking." He pulls out what looks like a long handled grilling fork and smiles before tapping it on one of the wayangs.

"Oooo Juicy!" Drool! Meat Fork o CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

"Maybe this fella knows a bit more?"

Last call for anyone with K arcana, religion, or planes to make a crack at that DC20 for #2?

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

Ah, I think you edited your post while I was making my post. I don't remember seeing that last paragraph while I was writing. Got it.

"Separating these poor souls from the stone is probably the best option. I think perhaps we should destroy the stone."

I am assuming Aroden cannot try Planes or Religion on the stone since he has already tried Arcana, but if he can try one of the others he will.

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya thanks the dwarf and stands, "we should help the rest. Can you please use my wand to heal them Dale?"

He approaches the stone again and balances his weapon in one hand, "I think we should destroy the sapphire if possible. Just in case." He steps back briefly before lunging forward. The naginata spins in the air above his head before it comes crashing down on the stone.

Sunder: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27
Sunder Dmg: 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

I think that's the correct attack. I assume Haste wore off. Add 4 dmg if it's considered NL ;)
34/50 CLW charges remaining.

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Anyone who hasn't yet attempted to study the stone, may still do so.

Kimiya takes a whack at the evil black sapphire. It's quite hard, but he still manages to chip it.

Black Sapphire (-3)

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya is happy he's not on the ground with the others. He pauses to let anyone else take a look at the stone before taking a few more whacks at it.

Sunder: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18
Sunder Dmg: 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

He'll keep hitting it until it's destroyed or something happens. Should I make the rolls?

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

Dale frowns as the group decides the best method is magical item destruction. He frantically takes as many notes about the item as possible, including a drawing and measurements. Sorry Zarta!

Craft: Drawing: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Hoping the rest of the team might take a hint and lend a hand, and wishing he had something a bit more, well, adamantine, Kimiya keeps hammering away at the gemstone.

Sometime later, just before he was going to take a break and get out his whetstone, the black sapphire shatters. Destroyed, it releases a swirling legion of consumed souls to return to their original possessors, and an otherworldly scream of rage echoes through the cavern.

The captives sigh, and their complexions brighten, immediately cured of the demon fever they had suffered, though they remain quite weakened by the ordeal.

About that time, the Society's Astral rift repair team shows up, takes your report and conducts a quick forensic study, tagging and bagging your fallen foes and examining the black sapphire.

"This is a sort of siphoning stone. It's drawing souls into the Ethereal Plane."

"This must be the handiwork of the night hag Aslynn, a powerful foe who's vexed the Pathfinder Society for several years. In the past, she always stayed out of direct conflict."

The freed slave you healed thanks you for rescuing them from certain death. "We'll help the Pathfinders in their efforts to secure the tapestry. It's the least we can do."

The PCs gain access to a special boost option for the Coordinated Maneuvers Aid Token.

For defeating the duergar and destroying the siphoning stone, one Slave Mountain success reported to the Overseer GM.

Which mission next, 1-3 or 5?

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

I heard someone mention mission 3 so why don't we head that direction? My backup choice would be to hang with the lizardfolk and beat down some deadies.

Dale takes furious notes as the investigators arrive and explain some things he should have known. "Oh, that's very interesting. You don't say." He then continues to ask an overwhelming number of questions of the new arrivals as well as the rescued and now conscious NPCs. Eventually the group drags him off towards another tear in the fabric of tapestry.

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

Vote for #3, second choice is #1.

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya lets out a triumphant shout when the stone shatters. He's immediately rewarded when the captives perk up. He lets Dale ask all the pertinent questions and when that's done, turns to the others, "Onward? It seems like the general consensus is to head to the Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment."

#3 sounds good to me too

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Dale the Sage and Aroden persuade the team to go to the Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment next.

Venture-Captain Zarta Dralneen had said, "The Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment has flourished since we cleansed it of corruption, but now its leader falters in the face of the tapestry’s chaos. Go to the temple and set things right."

The Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment is dedicated to Korada, the Empyreal Lord of foresight, forgiveness, and peace. When Hao Jin brought the temple into the tapestry, a vermlek demon named Dakang infiltrated the temple and established a secret cult of Sifkesh, demon lord of heresy and suicide. Over more than three centuries, Dakang deceived his followers into paying horrific tribute to Sifkesh. About six years ago, Pathfinder Society agents revealed the vermlek’s true nature and set the temple’s worshipers on a path to unravel Korada’s teachings from Dakang’s perversions.

The Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment, crafted of white marble, rests atop a forested hill. Three aasimars stand guard before ornate double doors that bear an image of four spheres resting inside a lotus flower. Recognizing agents of the Pathfinder Society, the aasimars open the doors and lead the way to the temple’s garden courtyard.

The garden’s plants are brown and withered. A Tian man sits at the edge of a dried-up fountain, staring forlornly at the noble turtle in its center. The man has hazel eyes and a streak of white in his hair. Several temple acolytes are busy preparing incense, meditating, and inscribing symbols on the fountain.

One of the aasimar speaks. "This is Zhuang, our leader. After you Pathfinders defeated the demon, Dakang, and purged the temple of corruption, Zhuang was determined to set us on a better path."

"We now aid wayward travelers in the tapestry and spread Korada’s teachings. However, Dakang’s deceptions have always plagued Zhuang, and he is on the verge of abandoning the temple. He has been sitting like this for many days, and neither speaks nor eats."

The beautiful aasimar sighs, resigned, but then she looks at you with a glimmer of hope in her golden eyes.

"Will you help us with a ritual to bring peace to his mind?"

Another post follows...

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

The acolytes conduct a ritual that allows you to enter Zhuang’s deeply disturbed mind and see the temple as he does. This surreal version of the temple is a desolate place, locked in perpetual dusk and filled with anguished screams and howling wind.

Map & Images

Within Zhuang's subconscious, meditative mindscape, you find yourselves within a temple crypt. Dozens of manic skeletal figures claw at one another, trying to crawl their way out of overflowing sarcophagi.
You can try to 'Beat them Back' (Melee attack roll)
Or you can 'Quick, Shut the Lids!' (Initiative check)

Encounter Mechanics: Each player attempts only one option. The highest check result for each option will serve as the group's primary result, and the GM will treat any other checks of the same option with a result of 10 or higher as though that PC had instead used the aid another action.
Instead of rolling, a PC can use a spell or ability that seems helpful. This grants the highest check result a +2 or +4 bonus (GM’s discretion).
Please indicate the option your PC is attempting and make your check or indicate the spell/ability you're using.

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

Aroden shudders as he is hurled into the monk's dreamscape.
He has enough dark 'memories' that might or might not be his own, and his own dreams are nightmarish enough.
I was a dying god entombed in a Golden Throne for ten thousand years...

He rallies himself and tries to rally the party.

I would like to use the feat below if that is an ability that would be helpful. As per the text in the Weapon Master's Handbook, you only need to have the correct alignment to use the divine fighting techniques listed there, you do not need to follow that deity. Technically it doesn't even say you need proficiency in the weapon, though Aroden has such proficiency through the Arodenite Sword Training trait.

Divine Fighting Technique: Iomedae's Inspiring Sword wrote:
Initial Benefit: While wielding a longsword, you can perform an impressive display of prowess as a full-round action. All allies within 30 feet who can see your display gain a +2 sacred bonus on attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks for 1 round + 1 round per 5 points of base attack bonus you have.

The wizard raises high the The Sword of Aroden and swings it in a gleaming arc. (Any sword he wields is The Sword of Aroden.) "FOR GOLARION!"

As an at-will aura buff, this is one of the character's go-to abilities.

Grand Lodge

Male CG Vanaran Bloodrager 5/Brawler 1 | HP: 26/57| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8, CMD: 22 | F: +14, R: +7, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +8, SM: +5 | Speed 60 ft fly| Bloodrage: 4/14 | Flex: 0/4 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, bloodrage, resist fire 10, fly

N'Aranav leans his shoulder into the outstretched claws and tries to ebb the tide.

melee attack with Iomedae's Inspiring Sword: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 10 + 2 = 24

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

With help from Aroden's dazzling sword, N'Aranav beats back the horde of scrabbling skeletons.

Map & Images

The crypt dissolves into wispy tendrils of dreams, fading to black.

Before you can adjust to the abject nothingness, you find yourselves within a library, where two young acolytes sit facing each other on the floor. They read aloud from unholy texts, and tears of blood drip onto the pages from their unblinking eyes.

You can 'Find a Holy Text' (Perception check)
Or you can 'Speak the Words of Korada' [Knowledge (religion) check]

Encounter Mechanics: Each player attempts only one option. The highest check result for each option will serve as the group's primary result, and the GM will treat any other checks of the same option with a result of 10 or higher as though that PC had instead used the aid another action.
Instead of rolling, a PC can use a spell or ability that seems helpful. This grants the highest check result a +2 or +4 bonus (GM’s discretion).
Please indicate the option your PC is attempting and make your check or indicate the spell/ability you're using.

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

Kahwen doesn't really have the power needed to break a gem, so he can only watch as Kimiya beats it into submission with only a bit more difficulty than he did the flesh and blood of the Duergar.

"Huzzah!" he says as the other victims wake up, though he is troubled by the revelation of the Night Hag being involved.

Nonetheless, his steps are bouncy as they make their way to the Temple, even more so when he sees it from a distance and sees the heavenly beauty of its protectors.

His joy decreases immensely and visibly as he sees the dying plants and the sad monk.

He gladly agrees to help, though the first scene in Zhuang's mind is quite terrifying.

He recovers quickly though not before Aroden and N'aranav are able to deal with the undead.

The second scene is no more comforting and he stares at bleeding eyes for a moment before scanning the shelves for a text that will help.

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

Ah, a library. A disturbing one, though... Sacred prayers will purify this place.
Aroden speaks the words of Korada, as best as he can remember them.
Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

Aroden scans the titles of the tomes on the library's shelves. He spies one leather-bound book depicting the gold-embossed Spiral of Korada, a holy symbol of the empyreal lord consisting of a spiral rotating clockwise from its centre. On the spiral are balanced three circles representing thoughts on the past, concentration about the present and consideration of the future. The symbol is prevalent in Koradan temples where it must never be obscured.

Aroden recalls that the avoral agathion Empyreal Lord Korada (pronounced KOH-rah-dah) is a contemplative being, who spends his time in the Dream Lotus on the plane of Nirvana, meditating, and communing with the enlightened. Worshipers are primarily monks and ascetics who sacrifice earthly pleasures in favor of a contemplative existence. They strive for the balance of mind, body and spirit in life, and are remarkably calm even in the midst of chaos.

The wizard grabs the tome from the shelf, snaps it open, and finds an appropriate passage. In a deep, resonant voice, Aroden speaks aloud the Words of Korada.

The acolytes smile, their bloody tears cease, and their eyes shine with renewed tranquility.

Map & Images

The scene in the library spins, draining away in a swirling whirlpool.

You find yourselves next in a meditation room. Several monks perform grotesque contortions and throw glass spheres to one another while reciting a mantra, "Bind my soul to Sifkesh..."

Countless worms carpet the floor and walls.

You can 'Spin the Sacred Spheres' (Sleight of Hand check)
Or you can 'Practice Proper Techniques' (Acrobatics check)

Encounter Mechanics: Each player attempts only one option. The highest check result for each option will serve as the group's primary result, and the GM will treat any other checks of the same option with a result of 10 or higher as though that PC had instead used the aid another action.
Instead of rolling, a PC can use a spell or ability that seems helpful. This grants the highest check result a +2 or +4 bonus (GM’s discretion).
Please indicate the option your PC is attempting and make your check or indicate the spell/ability you're using.

Dark Archive

Male Alchemist 5 HP: 38/38 AC:17 FF:15 T:12 F:+6 R:+7 W:+5 CLW Fork:43 Perception +9 , Sense Motive +5 (Bombs: 11/11) Effects: Ant Haul

Sorry this is so brief but its late and I don't want to stall things.

The trip to the temple is like a blur, so is the dream. Dale reaches for skeletons but they quickly fade before he can get them. Then a book.. dammit its gone too! Oh, finally some interesting glass spheres... YOINK!

Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23

The Exchange

Male Galtan Dictator/Thug 6 | HP 56 | AC: 24(29)* (T 17, FF 18) | CMD 21* | F: +6, R: +14, W: +3* | Init +7 | Per +10

The halfling sneers at the sight of the worms crawling about the floor and the grotesque contortiums in a seeming appeasement of Sifkesh."[/b]

Seeing Dale wisely choose to "distract" the monks, Quillen bats at the sacred spheres like a cat would play with a toy.

"Baubles, eh?"

Sleight of Hand (aid DC10): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

Kimiya's mind can barely comprehend each plateau. When he is prepared to beat the horde back, they are whisked away. Then Arodren finds the book before he can barely recognize the library. Finally, a meditation room, where he might excel, but this is no simple palaver with his god. He watches in awe, before attempting to spin the sphere.

Acrobatics untrained: 1d20 ⇒ 9

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

The demon lord Sifkesh's (pronounced SIF-kesh) goals differ from those of most other demons, in that she seeks to destroy not just the flesh, but to wholly corrupt mortals' souls as well. Her symbol is a pair of crossed female hands with slit wrists.

Her highest ambition is the fracturing of a good, devout person's faith through careful seduction, leading them to apostasy. It is said her greatest joy is lies in witnessing the moment when a corrupted priest realises how far they have sank and seeks suicide as the answer, forever damning there soul to her Abyssal realm of Vantian.

Dale interposes himself between the monks and snatches three of the glass spheres out of the air. The mad sage begins juggling them in a hypnotic pattern. Quillen catches another of the glass balls and sets it spinning atop his index finger.

Grabbing and playing with the monks' balls breaks the monks' concentration, disrupting their abyssal hot yoga practice. The monks cease their mantra to the demon lord Sifkesh and fall silent, the corrupting trance broken.

Map & Images

The meditation room vanishes in a cloud of steamy mist.

At the front of a vaulted chapel, a bloated corpse stands upon a balcony, preaching heresy and ugly truths to a crowd of rapt worshipers.

You can 'Drown Him Out' [Perform (oratory or sing) check]
Or you can 'Distract the Congregation' (Bluff check)

Encounter Mechanics: Each player attempts only one option. The highest check result for each option will serve as the group's primary result, and the GM will treat any other checks of the same option with a result of 10 or higher as though that PC had instead used the aid another action.
Instead of rolling, a PC can use a spell or ability that seems helpful. This grants the highest check result a +2 or +4 bonus (GM’s discretion).
Please indicate the option your PC is attempting and make your check or indicate the spell/ability you're using.

Grand Lodge

[Init +6, Per +12, Spd 40'] M Tengu Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster/Scout) 6th [HP 34/34, AC 17|23(27) /ff 11|16 /t 17, Fort +3, Ref +11, Will +3,]

Aroden grabs and intones out of a text while Kahwen gets lost in the stacks, unable to figure out just what the right book would be.

A moment later, he is in a meditation chamber and is preparing to properly perform the correct motions when Dale disrupts the corrupted monks' corruptions.

He is getting accustomed to the rapid shifts but the bloated priest and his entranced audience is still disturbing.

"This is not the truth of Korada! Korada is a god of thought and sitting!" he calls out, jumping up and hanging off the pulpit, shaking a fist at the crowd and the preacher while spouting his own understanding of Korada's tenets. Not particularly more accurate but at least wrong without malice. "His words only lead to corruption and misery!"

Distract the Congregation' (Bluff check): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

Scarab Sages

M Human Wizard (Exploiter) 6 | HP 44/44 | AC12 T12 FF10 CMD 16 | F+5/R+5/W+6 | Per +10 | Init +2 | Reservoir 6/9 | Prescience 4/4 | Active: None

Aroden joins in, mingling with the congregation and saying "Leave this place. Watch the sunrise and contemplate Korada. It is a most serene sunrise."
Bluff: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

Silver Crusade

Male Nagaji Samurai 6 | HP 51:51 | AC17 T12 F16 | F+6 R+3 W+3 | Init +1 | Percep +9 | Diplo +10 | Intim +16 | SM +

As Kahwen begins to yell at the crowd, Kimiya sets his feet and begins a kata. His dances gracefully and twirls his naginata before coming to a stop, the weapon held low. He times his movements to coincide with teh Tengu. In one quick sequence, he drops the naginata and lunges forward. His katana flashes through the air and there's a loud clap as the flat of the blade smacks the floor before the balcony. The metal on stone reverberates through the room, startling the worshipers as Kahwen glares down at them.

Iajutso Strike to ground: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13
Not rolling damage since going for the ability effect. If that hits the ground, DC 15 Will to negate shaken for 5 rounds.
Terrifying Iajutsu: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Grand Lodge

Male CG Vanaran Bloodrager 5/Brawler 1 | HP: 26/57| AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +8, CMD: 22 | F: +14, R: +7, W: +7 | Init: +1 | Perc: +8, SM: +5 | Speed 60 ft fly| Bloodrage: 4/14 | Flex: 0/4 | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Shield, bloodrage, resist fire 10, fly

Resorting to his baser instincts, N'Aranav scrambles onto whatever podiums/tapestries he can get his hands on and jumps and climbs over parishioners, screeching nonsense.

bluff: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Grand Lodge

Curse of the Crimson Throne | Gallows of Madness

The dream spirits are shaken by Kimiya's terrifying display, and N'Aranav, Aroden, and Kahwen try to distract the congregation, employing a number of different strategies. Kahwen perches on the edge of the pulpit, cawing to Koroda; Aroden passes through the assembly, inviting them to join him at sunrise; and N'Aranav apes a mad monkey's antics, screeching from the walls and rafters.

The rapt worshipers stir, and the bloated corpse struggles to maintain their fascination.

Still, it's not quite enough yet.

Perhaps Dale and Quillen can help them distract the worshippers and break the undead evangelist's spell...

101 to 150 of 571 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Lorenzo's #10-00: The Hao Jin Cataclysm (Tier 5-6) PbP Gameday VIII All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.