Announcing Pathfinder and Starfinder Infinite

Thursday, September 16, 2021

Today at Gen Con, we announced a new way for members of the Pathfinder and Starfinder communities to create content to expand the brands and make a lasting mark on the games we all love: Pathfinder and Starfinder Infinite.

Beginning on October 13, 2021, content creators will be able to sell adventures, fiction, setting supplements, rules expansions, maps, art packs, and more using Paizo’s intellectual property. That means that you can, for the first time, write an RPG supplement set in the official Pathfinder or Starfinder settings that references our locations, organizations, characters, deities and more, and sell it to your fellow players and GMs.

Want to tell the story of Kyra and Merisiel’s adventures on what they’d hoped would be a restful honeymoon? Now you can!

What about that side quest adventure you’ve always wanted to share to support your favorite Pathfinder Adventure Path? Now’s the time!

How about that custom character class or alien species you made for your Starfinder campaign that you just know others are going to love? Yep, that too.

Our partners at OneBookShelf (DriveThruRPG, DriveThruCards, Astral Tabletop) will be hosting and managing the program, bringing years of experience running similar community content marketplaces for other tabletop properties to bear.

Check out the content creation guidelines, frequently asked questions, and the starter layout templates and art assets available to community creators at pathfinderinfinite.com and starfinderinfinite.com.

We’ll have more information to share in the coming weeks, but the real excitement won’t start until all of you can share your Pathfinder and Starfinder creations with the world in just under a month. I’m looking forward to seeing what incredible things you come up with!

Pathfinder infinite logo Starfinder Infinite Logo

Mark Moreland
Director of Brand Strategy

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Gen Con Paizo Pathfinder Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Pathfinder Second Edition Starfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game
1 to 50 of 103 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Anything for FoundryVTT?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

This is great news. Any possibility of moving the Paizo PDFs over to OneBookshelf as well?

Dark Archive

Huh so Paizo version of DMsGuild and other similar stuff basically.

Well this is great news in many ways. Not just because of uh... Well I avoid joking about it since I'm sure someone else will say it.


This is incredibly neat, but I'd also like to ask about any chance of integration with virtual tabletops (Foundry, Roll20, Fantasy Grounds) and/or files meant to integrate with those tabletops (a json file as a Foundry module that automatically uploads the adventure content into a compendium).

That, and how various products will be promoted to showcase popular and/or particularly high-quality products sold through the Infinite programs. Would there be any curation system in place?


Is this going to be open for EU residents to publish?

Acquisitives

Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
CyberMephit wrote:
Is this going to be open for EU residents to publish?

unsure but the links are active. Deets there


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Yes I'm reading them; they talk about sending some IRS form if you do more than 200 sales per year.. I pay quite enough taxes in my home country to also pay anything to IRS.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Most countries have tax arrangements so that double dipping of income tax doesn't happen, no?


5 people marked this as a favorite.

I hope we see what we’ve seen from the Guild; official writers making stuff that’s baaasically canon, but not technically official.

Not touching it until the current management problems are dealt with.

Wayfinders

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm excited, though how much exactly depends on how the current Paizo management situation resolves, but I'll leave that topic out for now.

I'm glad that rules-less material such as fiction is permitted, as is the fact that one retains ownership of stuff they produce. Bit of a shame about the stingy 50% cut, but I also kind of understand where it stems from.

Will crossover content be permitted, given the connected-but-not-quite nature of the properties?

Paizo Employee Director of Brand Strategy

9 people marked this as a favorite.
Golurkcanfly wrote:
This is incredibly neat, but I'd also like to ask about any chance of integration with virtual tabletops (Foundry, Roll20, Fantasy Grounds) and/or files meant to integrate with those tabletops (a json file as a Foundry module that automatically uploads the adventure content into a compendium).

Not currently, but other community content programs hosted by OneBookShelf do allow for such content, so we'll look into it.

Golurkcanfly wrote:
That, and how various products will be promoted to showcase popular and/or particularly high-quality products sold through the Infinite programs. Would there be any curation system in place?

As with similar programs, there will be an elite creator program, "Infinite Masters," that will be curated by the staff at OneBookShelf and featured prominently in promotions on the storefront. All management of that program will likewise be handled by OBS.

RiverMesa wrote:
Will crossover content be permitted, given the connected-but-not-quite nature of the properties?

Other licenses already allow fans to cross our brands in their work, and this will be no different. If you want to make Pathfinder versions of morlamaws or Starfinder versions of the witch, you can.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Let the fan fiction begin!

On another note, perhaps I'll tell an interesting story of the adventures of my characters in scenarios, quests, and bounties. How our characters influence the world around them is the best part of exploring the world as a whole.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Really excited about this news!!

Sovereign Court

Is there room in the program for multi-creator collaborative works? Would they just have to be posted under one creator's account, a shared account, or tagged on two different accounts?

Paizo Employee Director of Brand Strategy

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Dustin Knight wrote:
Is there room in the program for multi-creator collaborative works? Would they just have to be posted under one creator's account, a shared account, or tagged on two different accounts?

All products need to be posted by a single publisher, but depending on how the account is set up, you can share your portion of the revenue however you want (royalties for authors/artists, split evenly between partners, donated to charity, etc.) OBS has a really robust set of tools for publishers, whether the content is being sold on DriveThruRPG or one of the partner programs like Pathfinder Infinite.


Very cool idea!


Pathfinder Card Game, Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

Awesome idea!

Horizon Hunters

1 person marked this as a favorite.

On a positive note what a wonderful opportunities await. Thanks for doing this Mark!

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Neat. I have a time travelling adventure that spans Avistan and parts of the other continents nearby and have been thinking about altering it to not use Golarion stuff, but now I won't have to alter that so much.

Liberty's Edge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

ok... here is the big question.

It's a dozy....

You ready?

Really ready?

Can we adapt past scenarios from PF1 into PF2 scenarios through this, giving credit to original authors?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Incredibly based

Paizo Employee Creative Director

8 people marked this as a favorite.
thaX wrote:

ok... here is the big question.

It's a dozy....

You ready?

Really ready?

Can we adapt past scenarios from PF1 into PF2 scenarios through this, giving credit to original authors?

I'm interested in that answer, but having written some content... I personally would be kinda bummed out and frustrated if someone did this to adventures I wrote. I'm sure we'll have more advice and guidance on things like this going forward, but as an author, I'd be disappointed to see someone do something like this. I would MUCH rather see folks do new content.

To clarify, I honestly have no idea if this would be allowable or not, but it would disappoint me to know that someone else is essentially using an adventure I wrote to make money off of that hard work. But it might play out that there's not much to be done about that, I guess.

Paizo Employee Director of Brand Strategy

6 people marked this as a favorite.
thaX wrote:
Can we adapt past scenarios from PF1 into PF2 scenarios through this, giving credit to original authors?

The FAQ covers this but the answer is "sort of."

The original remains a copyrighted work that you don't have permission to reprint. The rules are covered by the OGL, and the Product Identity is fair game under the Infinity license, but the original work is not.

You can make a conversion guide that updates stats and offers advice on how to run the content with a different rules set, but it needs to be an original work that builds on or expands the original, not just copy/pasting the old adventure with new rules.

The FAQ suggests that creators consider spiritual successors or sequels that are entirely new creations, such as an original megadungeon or unexplored one (like Viperwall) instead of a word-for-word P2 conversion of Emerald Spire.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

This is a great thing. Nice one Mark (and whoever else drove it’s creation). :)


Mark Moreland wrote:
thaX wrote:
Can we adapt past scenarios from PF1 into PF2 scenarios through this, giving credit to original authors?

The FAQ covers this but the answer is "sort of."

The original remains a copyrighted work that you don't have permission to reprint. The rules are covered by the OGL, and the Product Identity is fair game under the Infinity license, but the original work is not.

You can make a conversion guide that updates stats and offers advice on how to run the content with a different rules set, but it needs to be an original work that builds on or expands the original, not just copy/pasting the old adventure with new rules.

The FAQ suggests that creators consider spiritual successors or sequels that are entirely new creations, such as an original megadungeon or unexplored one (like Viperwall) instead of a word-for-word P2 conversion of Emerald Spire.

If I understand correctly, a companion book that cross references updated stablock for NPC, DCs for skill check and updated XP rewards to the original work much like an errata would be fine?

Humbly,
Yawar


7 people marked this as a favorite.
Mark Moreland wrote:
Dustin Knight wrote:
Is there room in the program for multi-creator collaborative works? Would they just have to be posted under one creator's account, a shared account, or tagged on two different accounts?
All products need to be posted by a single publisher, but depending on how the account is set up, you can share your portion of the revenue however you want (royalties for authors/artists, split evenly between partners, donated to charity, etc.) OBS has a really robust set of tools for publishers, whether the content is being sold on DriveThruRPG or one of the partner programs like Pathfinder Infinite.

And one of the big advantages of this, if you do an income split, is that you never see the money you don't get. When I pay profit share on RGG sales, the money coms in to RGG, I have to do the math and pass it out, and then tell the IRS I made the money but spent it on business expenses (and to who and how much if it is enough money).

Doing things this way, if on a $4 product I get $1 and a collaborator gets $1, it happens automatically (once I set it up that way), and it's never officially my income.


18 people marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
it would disappoint me to know that someone else is essentially using an adventure I wrote to make money off of that hard work. But it might play out that there's not much to be done about that, I guess.

My current answer (because I AM working on something like this) is to get the original author of the adventure to make the new edition update guide.

That means PF2 fans can play the PF1 adventure (though they'll have to have a copy of the PF1 version -- I'm having an update guide created, NOT copying and pasting any text or maps and such, but Paizo has PDFs of all those for sale), and the original author can oversee his intent and expand as desired with side quests, rules for 6 players, and so on.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

This sounds pretty fantastic! It makes me wish I was a better author! Or, a better game designer! Maybe I'll have to give it a shot and see how I do with a short adventure...


Pathfinder LO Special Edition, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I've been looking into if I think this would benefit a project I've been working on for a couple of years; and sadly for me, it won't.

While I would love to have a path to market through this offering, and I would love to be able to have a rich world to use as the backdrop w/o having to a lot of world building, my story requires a mixture of history and geography that doesn't exist on Golarion. Even if the geography did (ie shoe horn it into some place that's under specified) there's no way to add the history in a way that I feel integrates well with canon.

One of the biggest drains on my creativity is having to come up with an interesting pantheon, when I'd rather just use Golarions. (Since I know if I write my own to support the story, most GMs would just swap it out for Golarion, or Faerun's, or their home brew anyways). Somewhat of a similar issue with all of PF2's ancestries -- the look and feel of elves coupled with their backstory is all protected/IP content. Other ancestries are similarly complicated to tease apart what can be safely used.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
NielsenE wrote:
One of the biggest drains on my creativity is having to come up with an interesting pantheon, when I'd rather just use Golarions. (Since I know if I write my own to support the story, most GMs would just swap it out for Golarion, or Faerun's, or their home brew anyways). Somewhat of a similar issue with all of PF2's ancestries -- the look and feel of elves coupled with their backstory is all protected/IP content. Other ancestries are similarly complicated to tease apart what can be safely used.

I mean, the universe of Golarion includes Earth.

Put it on another world, in the same universe, with the same gods and cosmology.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

This is cool indeed!


Pathfinder LO Special Edition, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Owen KC Stephens wrote:
NielsenE wrote:
One of the biggest drains on my creativity is having to come up with an interesting pantheon, when I'd rather just use Golarions. (Since I know if I write my own to support the story, most GMs would just swap it out for Golarion, or Faerun's, or their home brew anyways). Somewhat of a similar issue with all of PF2's ancestries -- the look and feel of elves coupled with their backstory is all protected/IP content. Other ancestries are similarly complicated to tease apart what can be safely used.

I mean, the universe of Golarion includes Earth.

Put it on another world, in the same universe, with the same gods and cosmology.

That's a very useful idea, I'll need to read through more carefully and see if that could fly.

(I was just on your website and Patreon trying to find a barely remembered page/article about reaching out to you for various rpg consulting questions/services and couldn't find it; do you have a link?)

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Both the Animal Art Pack and the Dragon Art pack on Driverthru RPG are borken.

The animal one just isnt there and the dragon one when you download it is the Starfinder character pack.

I submitted a request to Drivethru to fix it but I figured it should be known here as well


YawarFiesta wrote:

If I understand correctly, a companion book that cross references updated stablock for NPC, DCs for skill check and updated XP rewards to the original work much like an errata would be fine?

Humbly,
Yawar

The Content Guidelines page specifically notes as an allowed option:

Quote:
a streamlined, bare-bones conversion guide for someone who already owns the classic adventure (i.e., encounter-by-encounter conversion notes with any Pathfinder Second Edition stats needed, leaving out all other content)

I feel like the most useful format for this kind of thing might be page inserts that could be slipped into a physical book or combined with a printed PDF in a binder.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Finally, a chance to share my (tasteful) Lethal Weapon inspired adventure set in Absalom

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jasonomicon Ex Mortis wrote:

Both the Animal Art Pack and the Dragon Art pack on Driverthru RPG are borken.

The animal one just isnt there and the dragon one when you download it is the Starfinder character pack.

I submitted a request to Drivethru to fix it but I figured it should be known here as well

Just a follow up

Drivethru fixed the Dragon one. They sent me an email saying they fixed the Animal one but it is nowhere to be found on Drivethru RPG anymore


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NielsenE wrote:
(I was just on your website and Patreon trying to find a barely remembered page/article about reaching out to you for various rpg consulting questions/services and couldn't find it; do you have a link?)

It's the $200/month "unicorn" tier of my Patreon. That gets 1 hr/month.

I also sell consulting ad hoc for people who don't need ongoing services.

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

18 people marked this as a favorite.

Personal request for the community to make non-cannon, but undoubtedly authentic LGBTQIA+ content, like a travel guide to the gay bars of Golarion and the Pact Worlds. I’d buy it.

Grand Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber
Owen KC Stephens wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
it would disappoint me to know that someone else is essentially using an adventure I wrote to make money off of that hard work. But it might play out that there's not much to be done about that, I guess.

My current answer (because I AM working on something like this) is to get the original author of the adventure to make the new edition update guide.

That means PF2 fans can play the PF1 adventure (though they'll have to have a copy of the PF1 version -- I'm having an update guide created, NOT copying and pasting any text or maps and such, but Paizo has PDFs of all those for sale), and the original author can oversee his intent and expand as desired with side quests, rules for 6 players, and so on.

It would be great to see some of the retired 1E scenarios given this treatment.

I think I'll go message Boomer about The Third Riddle...


13 people marked this as a favorite.
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Personal request for the community to make non-cannon, but undoubtedly authentic LGBTQIA+ content, like a travel guide the the gay bars of Golarion and the Pact Worlds. I’d buy it.

My first tabletop release was a guide to trans culture and characters in Eberron, for the DM’s Guild. I could imagine doing a similar product for Pathfinder… but I’m not touching it until the specifically trans employee-centered allegations are addressed.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

This is going to be great. Of course I am still keeping a look for how these issues with upper management are addressed.

However, how will the actual formatting and presentation of the submissions work? Will there be an interface on Pathfidner infinite or will will have to invest in a variety of PDF editing software to submit our entries? I am worried this will be a roadblock for me and other people.

I have read the FAQ's but I am just not following it's advice very well.

Dark Archive

3 people marked this as a favorite.

I have to note, taxes is the part I'm the most worried about, because... back when I looked into it, some international publishers, depending on where they are based, should be getting a withholding tax because royalties count as "income on US soil". And...if you are unlucky like me and live in a place that does not have a trade treaty with the US, its a whooping 30%.

I did contact OBS back in the day about this, and their answer was, surmised, "We're not tax lawyers, and it's your responsibility."

...I'm not making enough to justify filing taxes in the US, so most of the revenue I get on DTRPG are just sitting there as store credit for now. Anyhow, folks who would count as non-resident aliens, do your research!

Also, just to double check, in terms of licensed languages, does Infinite have the same list of languages as the community/OGL license?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sen H.H.S. wrote:

I have to note, taxes is the part I'm the most worried about, because... back when I looked into it, some international publishers, depending on where they are based, should be getting a withholding tax because royalties count as "income on US soil". And...if you are unlucky like me and live in a place that does not have a trade treaty with the US, its a whooping 30%.

I did contact OBS back in the day about this, and their answer was, surmised, "We're not tax lawyers, and it's your responsibility."

I'm not a tax lawyer, but I am a tax preparer, and your statements are roughly accurate. I would highly recommend not letting it deter anyone though. If you're successful enough to have it apply to you, it will probably still be worthwhile. Meanwhile, the usual advice of "Don't quit your day job" applies.

However!
The information regarding PayPal in the FAQ currently is only accurate for 2021 taxes.
Beginning in 2022, third party settlement organizations must report network transactions with any payee of more than $600, with no threshold of # of transactions. This was updated by ARPA 2021.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
keftiu wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Personal request for the community to make non-cannon, but undoubtedly authentic LGBTQIA+ content, like a travel guide the the gay bars of Golarion and the Pact Worlds. I’d buy it.
My first tabletop release was a guide to trans culture and characters in Eberron, for the DM’s Guild. I could imagine doing a similar product for Pathfinder… but I’m not touching it until the specifically trans employee-centered allegations are addressed.

I was literally just wondering if you were going to do that.

I'm also waiting for the same issue to be addressed before I create content. If 15% of my profit goes to Paizo, that needs to be brought up.

(If anyone is wondering about the math, IIRC, OBS gets a 35% take in similar storefronts)

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

So, if I write a story about a time mage that accidentally killed Aroden, I can put it on this?

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.

What about other languages? Or just English?


12 people marked this as a favorite.

Finally, this means that Dance Halls of Golarion will come to be.

Silver Crusade

7 people marked this as a favorite.
Totally Not Gorbacz wrote:
Finally, this means that Dance Halls of Golarion will come to be.

*punts detoothed bag out of the thread*

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Mark will be back in the office on Monday to answer your questions or direct you to OBS.

Dark Archive

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Sidenote, I'm kinda wondering if I should finally try to do content myself :'D I've really wanted to do dire corby material and other shenanigans

1 to 50 of 103 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: Announcing Pathfinder and Starfinder Infinite All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.