Bag of Holding

Totally Not Gorbacz's page

375 posts (379 including aliases). 1 review. No lists. No wishlists. 1 alias.


RSS

1 to 50 of 375 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Given that it's one year later and customer service people still do the double job of being forum moderators (incl. removing posts that take swipes at Tonya), I don't expect things to improve quickly.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Jonathan Morgantini wrote:
Removed a post for baiting. We plan to revist this idea after convention season

I'll make sure to REVISIT this thread after the season is over.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Paizo seems to have (again) a custerv bottleneck after several CS reps left the company.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Keller wrote:
Cori Marie wrote:
Making books for a system that they haven't made new material for in three years?
I don't know about unprofitable, but 1e still seems to be fairly popular.

Popular =/= profitable.

AD&D 1e and 2e are still very popular with vibrant communities and lots of players enjoying them. But WotC isn't producing any new content for these editions, because they aren't protifable. Most of the people who play these eds have what they describe as a "lifetime of content" on their shelves and aren't into buying new stuff. The same holds for PF1, the latter PF1 books frequently barely broke even or brought a loss because of oversaturation.


Because quickened is always +1 action. More actions would be game-breaking given how tight PF2 is.


10 people marked this as a favorite.

5e content creator generates retweet rampage over a single comment on her YouTube channel because edition wars = clicks. Unsurprising, but disappointing.


10 people marked this as a favorite.
Nefreet wrote:


There's a global proxy war going on

Tiny corregimiento: when one side is in it directly, it's not a proxy war.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Ed Reppert wrote:

The population of Absalom is a bit more than 300,000. The population of Magnimar is about 16,000, of Korvosa about 18,000, of Riddleport about 13,000. Cities of Golarion covered six cities: Cassomir (32,000), Corentyn (24,000), Ilizmagorti (20,000), Nisroch (24,000), Vigil (now destroyed by Tar-Baphon), Whitethrone (25,000). Kaer Maga (8,000) is "the smallest of Varisia's cities".

What other cities in the Inner Sea region have a population of oh, say 5000 or more?

IAC that's quite a jump from 20-30K or so to more than 300K.

Is Absalom the largest city on the planet? How big are cities in Tian Xia?

One definition of "city" is "a large town". Where's the dividing line? Population or area? So many questions. :-)

It's almost like if there was some resource online where you could look up all metropolises of Golarion and their population. Almost!

Oppara is 109k, Westcrown is 114k, Alkenstar City is 53k, Katapesh (the city) is 212k, Haesong is 151k, there are plenty of huge cities in the "midrange".


You guys roll physical dice? Funny.


8 people marked this as a favorite.

Good luck Ron, you've done a ton of amazing work. Your stewardship over APs was fantastic.

I really hope Jim manages to turn the boat around, because Paizo is bleeding fantastic employees.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
keftiu wrote:
Totally Not Gorbacz wrote:
wrmusall wrote:
Well well well. Here we are. Another month has passed and still no news about our pawn subscriptions. Is there any news on this? When can we expect an update?
Seems like you're the only one caring.
There’s really no need to be rude like that, and scrolling up on this very page will show you that I’ve also voiced some frustrations on the topic. Radio silence for months on Paizo’s part doesn’t feel good.

It's not radio silence, it's "we will announce changes to subscriptions once we're ready and we've encountered difficulties in getting there". I'm presuming that this will mean an end of the Pawns sub, but for sake of people not losing their PF advantage due to an axed subscription, things are kept in limbo. I'd sure appreciate an update, but as long as I'm not getting charged for a product that doesn't materialise or promised a product that doesn't happen, I'm cool.


wrmusall wrote:
Well well well. Here we are. Another month has passed and still no news about our pawn subscriptions. Is there any news on this? When can we expect an update?

Seems like you're the only one caring.


8 people marked this as a favorite.
CULTxicycalm wrote:
Yeah but it’s a longer one, thus closer to encompassing a character’s life. I already said that. It won’t match D&D’s concept of a campaign, but it will get closer than the current ditching of a character after 6 adventures.

What's that "D&D concept of a campaign" that you're referring to? Against the Giants ---> Queen of Demonweb Pits is seven adventures and goes from level 9 to 14. It's the most iconic D&D campaign, and it doesn't either start at level 1, go on for 12 episodes or end at level 20. It assumes that both before it and after it, you're doing other things.

Temple of Elemental Evil - Scourge of the Slave Lords - Queen of the Spiders goes from level 1 to level 14.

What you're describing is "Paizo's concept of a 3.5 D&D campaign published in monthly magazines" but these contained the amount of content that Paizo now puts in 6-part APs, going from level 1 to 20.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
mikeawmids wrote:

It took my group three years to complete Rise of the Runelords. I dread to think how long it would take to complete something double that size.

The old 12 part 3e AP campaigns from Paizo ran from 1st to 20th, so it is possible, but not necessarily wise.

PF2 6-part APs run from 1 to 20, too. Changes to XP system in PF2 mean less encounters per level = less filler fights = faster leveling.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Hell's Rebels and Hell's Vengeance storylines don't interact with each other at all.


8 people marked this as a favorite.
CULTxicycalm wrote:
A “three-parter” is just an old-fashioned TSR trilogy. Paizo took 15 years to reinvent the trilogy. So that’s a fine development because though six-parters are way epicer, not everything in D&D should be about epicness. Now how about a 12-parter again, like in the days of the magazines? A 12-parter to wrap up Second Edition would be especially appreciated in half a decade’s time or so, Mr. Creative Dinorector.

Pretty sure Paizo isn't interested in committing a whole year of their most important revenue stream to a product that will ultimately entertain just some part of their customer base.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
keftiu wrote:
I’ll admit, this is near the bottom of the list for books I’d want. Can anyone help me understand the hype?

A "big book with items/equipment/weapons" is pretty much a no brainer. Well, it is if you're playing the game.


BTW, Chaosium's situation is special as they are at this point pretty much a joint venture with their Polish distributor, Black Monk Games. That's possible because Call of Cthulhu is massively popular in Europe, unlike Pathfinder, which is still 80% US+Canada thing. Until that changes, Yurp will always be a secondary market at best.


GM_Bolog wrote:

Kinda off-topic but any plans for Paizo to offer cheaper shipping in Europe?

If I want to buy something directly from Paizo it costs me 30$ to get it shipped to eastern europe (Romania) and the Local Game Shops in my country sadly dont have all Pathfinder 2e books yet...

Would be nice if there was a cheaper way to get books to eastern europe :) Chaosium does it through their Polish intermediary for instance and the shipping cost isnt that bad.

You could try Polish online stores, it's quite possible that some of them ship abroad.


15 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm assuming the worst because you list all those no-brainer-for-optimising feats/items that exactly contributed to the situation where my PF1 PCs would outshine characters run by casual players whose ideas of feat selection for a cRogue included Toughness and a feat that gives +2 to hit while standing in running water but not above your knees.

Powergaming is what PF1 is about, it's a game that rewards system mastery and punishes you for the lack of it.


11 people marked this as a favorite.

If I wanted to play a game where my system mastery would directly relate to the amount of fun I have, I'd play PF1.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
thaX wrote:
Leon Aquilla wrote:

What did Mr. Butler do at Turbine? Was he involved with Lord of the Rings Online or D&D Online?

I had just started playing DDO. They "Borrowed" some things from PF2, like the enhancement trees being like archtype add ons instead of Prestige Class type of divergent class multiple.

Quite enjoying myself requainting myself to various setting aspects from 3.5.

DDO is 16 years old, no chance it could be borrowing anything from PF2.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Temperans wrote:
Arachnofiend wrote:
Temperans wrote:
In any case the complaint against PF1 was never that you didn't have choices or that everything feels the same. It was always, "this is too broken compared to an unoptimized build". The complaint was that there was too much variety in power.
Might wanna take off those rose-tinted glasses and get back to full attacking every round
Jokes on you I am into vital striking and feint builds.

You spend your move action to feint and your standard action to make one VS attack while the person next to you is firing a volley of arrows or swinging a greatsword multiple times?

That would explain a lot.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

The most OP PF1 stuff is in the core (full casters) and you need splats to fix stuff that's unworkable and bring low tier classes anywhere close to Wizard/Druid/Cleric (Unchained for Rogues/Monks, WMH for Fighters).

You say "no more than two splatbooks!" and I say OK, Martial Arts Handbook for Shikigami chain and whatever book that gives you a 1.5k gp CL 17 rod aaaand we're done here.

A carefully curated selection of books is how you can keep PF1 reasonable, sure, but then again the usual pro-PF1 argument is that its greatest strength is the myriad of options it has compared to 5e/PF2. It isn't, but it takes some experience to discover that.

Yes, PF2 characters feel much more in a similiar range of AC, damage, saves and skills values. But that's OK and that's the strength of the system because it means GM can prepare challenges without having to constantly keep in mind that one person has +40 Perception at level 10 while others are at +11 at best and monsters/NPCs work as intended. PF2 characters don't vary by numbers they produce, they vary in how are those numbers used.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Tristan d'Ambrosius wrote:
Deriven Firelion wrote:
So I just gave in. I'm going to run them power gaming for a while and hope point buy is enough of a throttle to not make my life completely miserable. We'll see how it goes.
Where are you setting the point buy? Cause too high and you'll hit the same stumbling blocks. Too low and the players may feel cheated.

Point buy is no throttle. PF1 hands out bonuses to stats so liberally that the difference between 10pt buy and 25pt buy makes no difference for powergaming but instead it cripples people who want to play characters that aren't SAD.


7 people marked this as a favorite.
Errenor wrote:
Deriven Firelion wrote:
They kind of feel like they're making the same character time and time again with a different cosmetic appearance. They're using the same tactics. They just kind of play the same campaign over and over again.
I really don't understand how this concerns specifically PF2e comparing to any other TTRPG when everyone knows the system perfectly. If you can't wrap the mechanics in imagination and have fun in one game you'd probably end up like that in other games too. Or you've just burned out. Happens.

Especially in PF1, where you either know the system and end up playing one of limited character builds that work or you end up with some Rogue/Druid "thematically fun but crippled mechanically" character.

If there is a system that truly has something that you could describe as an "illusion of choice", it's PF1. It has 35000 feats and 2340 archetypes, but only a limited number of those will give you what you want, and the game is really not as much as about tactics in combat or teamwork but about having system mastery to the point where you know that "mobile move-attack-move skirmisher with a halberd" or "half wizard, half oracle" are ideas that don't work but "Fighter with el cheapo 1.5k gp metamagic rods that aren't used as rods but as +4 magic weapons because Shikigami Style is a broken feat chain hidden in a peripheral splatbook" is something that will break the campaign and leave the guy next to you playing a Dwarf Paladin with a +1 hammer and a shield wondering what went wrong.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Temperans wrote:

1 person not having fun running a game but having fun hanging out.

VS

X people not having fun but having fun hanging out.

Is the argument that Deriven and his players should all just stop playing TRPGs because it is impossible to all have fun? Deriven won't be able to play because he won't have any players. Or the players won't be able to play because they won't have a GM. Everyone loses if there is no compromise, and it sounds like Deriven tried.

The only thing I can say is that he can at least take some of the PF2 design practices to simplify PF1 monster design.

He can find new players, he can't find new himself.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

But are YOU having fun running PF1? Taking into account all the work you need to put in to make PF1 adventures made for baseline non-optimised characters remotely challenging for charop folks.


11 people marked this as a favorite.

Honestly, a gaming table where the GM has a hard and frustrating time just so a bunch of nerds can enjoy their power fantasy of roflbbqing every encounter is not a good table. This game is supposed to be fun for everyone involved, not frustrating/taxing.

Having to spend hours carefully customising encounters so that my players who min-max AND my players who are casual snoozes that play Dwarf fighters with axe and shield ALL have equal levels of fun was an unrewarding chore and frankly a Sisyphean task given how PF1 works. This is why we switched to PF2, the power level variance between characters is far smaller, and my players all enjoy a challenge.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Shot: "I've had a hard fight with a Clay Golem"

Chaser: "Paizo, please change the way you run your business"

All I can say to the OP is "git gud".


6 people marked this as a favorite.

This uncannily reminds me of Ryan Dancey leaving his leadership position at Goblinworks (Paizo's spinoff company making Pathfinder Online MMO) for "personal reasons" being announced as a one-sentence passage in a blog post.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It's for those few games where the GM is a medieval reenactor and takes great pains to ensure that the minute technicalities of wearing armour are represented in-game. It's a tiny group but tends to be super vocal if the game rulebook omits the details on donning armour.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Like, really, talk to a lawyer.


Ezekieru wrote:
Errenor wrote:
Losonti wrote:
the scenario of "I need to look up any spell in the game at a moment's notice but don't have internet access on the smartphone I'm using to look them up" is such an edge case
It absolutely is not. The site is bad even on PC and on phone it's almost unusable. And bad internet coverage certainly does happen. Also this was in context of making offline AoN, so it's not additional resources. Or doesn't concern Paizo directly in the first place, so your dismissal is not to the point.

Yeah, just gonna say, as someone who lives out in the countryside with only a single Internet provider who'll service my house without having to shell out thousands of dollars to get another one to lay out their cables for me, and the service of said provider gave me constant issues and even full-on disconnections for hours at a time over the course of years... It can get really rough in our areas.

God forbid you're in a place more close to the mountains, or somewhere way off the nearest paved highway, those usually only have satellite options for Internet service, and those are extremely spotty in terms of reliability and dealing with ping.

Potentially having an offline option to look to would be helpful. Not sure how much effort that would take for the AoN crew, especially for said resource to be updated regularly for errata and new content releases. But I do think it's a big enough issue to at least reasonably consider it.

Ah, I forgot some people live in backwards places such as the United States of America.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Leon Aquilla wrote:

The PC Game had a lot of embellishment added by Chris Avellone. While Chris comes from a D&D background, the kind of stories he writes (Planescape, KOTOR II) can best be described as....post-modern. Lots of deconstruction of standard tropes and turning them on their head.

I wouldn't expect the AP to run anything like the vidya gaem except in that it hits the same story beats.

I'd be all for Paizo including Chris' writing, post-modern is how I like my game.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

There's literally no point to HLO now that Pathbuilder exists.


10 people marked this as a favorite.
JoelF847 wrote:
Totally Not Gorbacz wrote:

Or preceisely, Alex Speidel representing Paizo Workers United met with President Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris, Secretary of Labor Marty Walsh, and other worker organizers at the White House to discuss how he and his co-workers at Paizo won voluntary recognition for their union.

Hopefully, he also got to ask Biden what is his favourite Cleric domain and whether's he's more of Against the Giants or Lamentations of Flame Princess kind of guy.

Funny how something that would be likely never possible thanks to decisions of Paizo management happened thanks to the effort of rank-and-file employees :)

I would pay good money to see them try to teach Biden to play Pathfinder.

It would look something like:

Alex: So, Mr President, it's a fantasy role-playing game. Role-playing games work like this...
Biden: Like Dungeons and Dragons, I know, played it once.
Alex: Yes, so our game is Pathfinder, it's like...
Biden: Like Dungeons and Dragons, I see, it's got Armor Class, hit points, you can play a Cleric, got it.
Alex: Yes, but our game is different than Dungeons and Dragons, because...
Biden: You can play a gnome now, told ya Alex, I'm pretty up to date.


21 people marked this as a favorite.

Or preceisely, Alex Speidel representing Paizo Workers United met with President Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris, Secretary of Labor Marty Walsh, and other worker organizers at the White House to discuss how he and his co-workers at Paizo won voluntary recognition for their union.

Hopefully, he also got to ask Biden what is his favourite Cleric domain and whether's he's more of Against the Giants or Lamentations of Flame Princess kind of guy.

Funny how something that would be likely never possible thanks to decisions of Paizo management happened thanks to the effort of rank-and-file employees :)


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I believe nothing has changed in the "not profitable enough" department regarding fiction.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Not really, Hell's Vengeance was an evil AP, this one is more of "Neutral, morally ambiguous, fine with working for an undead country" kind of vibe.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
AceofMoxen wrote:

I am so bored with the standard D&D underdark. OotS had a great strip in Dragon magazine about how it's just like the surface. Drow can wait forever in my opinion.

Now, actually exploring underground can be terrifying. I recommend Lamentations of the Flame Priestess's Veins of the Earth book for some inspiration. It helps a lot that few in LotFP have darkvision. The book also goes to lengths to point out that underground spaces are rarely open or flat. Imagine fighting, in the dark, on a 35-degree slope with a ceiling only 4 feet high. That's interesting.

Interesting, but not really for a game that relies on 2D visualisation of combat.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

All those calls could have been e-mails.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

R.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Solarian is completely different from Kineticist. Not to mention the fact that with Starfinder being much closer to 3.5/PF1 than it is to PF2, you'd have to design from scratch anyway.


Yes, including some ties to MMO-adjacent products (Emerald Spire and Thornkeep), the story of the BBEG (lich Nhur Athemon) and the funky bit where Pharasma made the MMO PCs her chosen so that they don't die the usual way but rez like you do in MMOs.

The final message on server shutdown had this passage: "After that, the servers won’t be coming back up, but aspects of the world you’ve all created with us will live on in Golarion, initially through a blog post on Paizo’s site that integrates our history with the larger world of Pathfinder. That writeup will be based on the final state of the world and its settlements, as well as past events."

So I'm curious if the writeup is anywhere out there and I missed it, is it coming, or maybe it's best that we all forget about how a TTRPG publishing company decided to make and maintain a mainstream MMO ;)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I distinctly remember that when Pathfinder Online announced that they're shutting down last year, there was talk of some blog post or story detailing how the events of the MMO would impact Golarion. Did I completely miss it, or is it still in the pipeline, or did it die somewhere along the way?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think we'll see a 3PP Kineticist by Mark now that he is no longer with Paizo for quicker than we'll see Paizo tackling the class themselves.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Did you do any math on this? Because my Strategic Strike ranged Investigator is miles in damage behind a 2h Barbarian in actual play.


8 people marked this as a favorite.

The fact that you're at the point of hysterically losing the plot in this thread is not the best advertisement of your capacity to make reasoned decisions at a gaming table, doubly so when handling sensitive material.


I guess I'm going to chalk it up to failing the "no wtf dude I would never own slaves this is like ugh badwrong on so many levels, and if I would own them, I'd let them free ASAP!!!!" test, thanks for playing along.

1 to 50 of 375 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>