Treasurefox's Rise of the Runelords

Game Master TreasureFox

Fireday, the 29th of Lamashan, 4711AR

Magnimar

Homebrew Rules
The Story So Far
Loot List


7,451 to 7,497 of 7,497 << first < prev | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | next > last >>

M Human Ranger 7 HP 72/72,AC18T12FF16,F7R7W4,Init6,Per12

Whoops, looks like Furnok channeled his inner goblin dog. That or Agghh stole his avatar.

This is appalling! I don't think even the Chopper was this bad.


Female Halfling Cleric 7 AC:21(22)/14/17 HP:45/45 F:+7 R: +6 W: +11(+2 vs fear) Init: +3 Perception: +5, channel 5/5, ::: Aggah 39/39hp

"The chopper was doing a ritual... is it a coincidence another set of murders so soon after. We know that he had contacts in this city..."

perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

She looks for any marking or carvings that might say ritual? Also she'll detect magic really quick. "See if there is anything craved in the wood that might make them similar"


DM Intervention 1/1 l Loot List

Cleo doesn't notice anything, not even the glaive and sword that Furnok found.


HP 64/64 | AC 27 | T 23 | FF 14 | CMD 21| F +12| R +14 | W +9 | SPD 30 ft | Init +4 | Perc +9 Panache 3/3, Stunning Fist 1/1, Dirty Trick tattoo 3/3, Rage 6/6, Weal's Champion 1rd/day

Wabbit follows in the big man's shadow (Furnok) although every Man is big relative to Wabbit. He follows trying to learn from the skilled tracker, being uncommonly quiet so as not to disturb Furnok while he concentrates
perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11
survival: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

After Furnok is finished
the letter mentioned a Zanesh/Xanesh something in Magnimar..Safe to say any friend of his is no friend to us or anyone decent for that matter. Furnok was real thorough, I don't know if there's anything else to find here. But why THIS caravan? There were plenty to choose from.


DM Intervention 1/1 l Loot List

Wabbit notices the glaive and sword that Furnok found, but not much else.
All of these people who died may be bigger than Wabbit, but not by an insane amount. They were young, near Maria's age, barely reaching adulthood. They were thin, lanky teenagers, unequipped for close combat without substantial preparation.
Wabbit SM Hunch: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
But he can't fathom why they were so ruthlessly murdered, and by a single person to boot.


Human Witch (Cartomancer) 7 AC:12/12/10(+4) HP:48/48 F:+5 R:+5 W:+8 Init: +6 Perception: +7

Brelin stays a bit away, analising the crowd.

She tries to undertstand if someone shows more than just morbid curiosity

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23


DM Intervention 1/1 l Loot List

Ah, that's a smart idea. Smarter than I am, however.

Brelin doesn't notice any signs that someone in the crowd is anything more than just morbidly curious. Normally that would probably fall under Sense Motive, but the result is the same.

Each of the people here are of Varisian heritage, mostly human. The nomadic lifestyle of travelling by caravan does appeal to the odd Gnome or half-Elf as well. They wear quite colourful clothing, usually with jewelry and tattoos. These travellers have not met Brelin, but being a fellow Varisian does hold some merit. One of the men approaches her, a fairly strong man in his thirties, sporting a bear tattoo on his bicep. He says in his native tongue "Hello, I am known as Adamar. I'm sorry for your loss, and I would like to offer my help if you need any."
I noticed you're missing two languages from your high intelligence. I think it would be appropriate for one of them to be Varisian.


Female Halfling Cleric 7 AC:21(22)/14/17 HP:45/45 F:+7 R: +6 W: +11(+2 vs fear) Init: +3 Perception: +5, channel 5/5, ::: Aggah 39/39hp

"They were from Sandpoint." she answers Wabbit with the only connection she knows of for why, a shrug, and a heavy heart. "Has the sherrif been around yet?" she'll ask any of the unlookers.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human Ranger 7 HP 72/72,AC18T12FF16,F7R7W4,Init6,Per12

Bacon, without anyone noticing has seemingly undergone puberty as is now one big pig!


DM Intervention 1/1 l Loot List

The man who's been talking with Brelin, laughs cynically. He speaks Common with a bit of an accent. "The city doesn't care."

K.Local DC15:

What he says is unfortunately quite true. Travelling Varisians are assumed to be thieves and beggars, swindlers and prostitutes. In a city-state who's laws revolve more around trade and wealth than morality, the poor have few rights, and thieves even less. It's unlikely that the city will put any resources into this case.


Female Halfling Cleric 7 AC:21(22)/14/17 HP:45/45 F:+7 R: +6 W: +11(+2 vs fear) Init: +3 Perception: +5, channel 5/5, ::: Aggah 39/39hp

"Why wouldn't the city care if people are killed just outside it's walls?" Cleo asks (innocently), while worriedly looking at the hive of people they are about to enter.


HP 64/64 | AC 27 | T 23 | FF 14 | CMD 21| F +12| R +14 | W +9 | SPD 30 ft | Init +4 | Perc +9 Panache 3/3, Stunning Fist 1/1, Dirty Trick tattoo 3/3, Rage 6/6, Weal's Champion 1rd/day

Wabbit is much more widely traveled than Cleo... He shakes his head sadly yes unfortunately a lot of places are just downright immoral ... Not understanding why. Just realizing that's how it is


Female Halfling Cleric 7 AC:21(22)/14/17 HP:45/45 F:+7 R: +6 W: +11(+2 vs fear) Init: +3 Perception: +5, channel 5/5, ::: Aggah 39/39hp

Cleo looks disturbed by that, but then decides "Then we need to bury them and see to their resting places. Well I do I mean, if you'd wait for me, I'd appreciate it."


M Human Ranger 7 HP 72/72,AC18T12FF16,F7R7W4,Init6,Per12

I'll be glad to help. Least I can do for friends.


HP 64/64 | AC 27 | T 23 | FF 14 | CMD 21| F +12| R +14 | W +9 | SPD 30 ft | Init +4 | Perc +9 Panache 3/3, Stunning Fist 1/1, Dirty Trick tattoo 3/3, Rage 6/6, Weal's Champion 1rd/day

of course we'll help put them to rest
any other course of action is unacceptable


Human Witch (Cartomancer) 7 AC:12/12/10(+4) HP:48/48 F:+5 R:+5 W:+8 Init: +6 Perception: +7

Brelin isn't the most social kind. She eyes the man, suspicion on her face

Do you know what happened here?

Treasure, Varisan looks good


DM Intervention 1/1 l Loot List

"Not much" Adamar replies. "I knew that they were magical kids with a bear bodyguard, but I never expected... this." He gestures to the caravan. "I just want to help, perhaps I can dig graves?"

Brelin SM: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Brelin isn't certain about his motives one way or another.
Anyone who understands Varisian and would have eavesdropped on the conversation could make a check as well.

---------------------------

Cleo and the others aren't quite sure where to bury their friends. Apart from this fairly small lot for caravans to park, the surrounding area is all farmland. They would have to venture back into the forest, or find a place in the city.


M Human Ranger 7 HP 72/72,AC18T12FF16,F7R7W4,Init6,Per12

Perhaps find a Pharesmian temple for help.


Human Witch (Cartomancer) 7 AC:12/12/10(+4) HP:48/48 F:+5 R:+5 W:+8 Init: +6 Perception: +7

Brelin doesn't look too convinced

Your help is appreciated she answers looking around Do you know this area, is there a place for burials outside the walls?


DM Intervention 1/1 l Loot List

Adamar smiles slightly. "I do. There is no graveyard outside the walls. My family have buried our own within the city, with the assistance of the church of Desna. If we are on the road far beyond any settlement, we instead bury them near the road, where we build a cairn above their grave. Not only might this protect them against the ravages of the pallid, but they become a landmark for our people."


Female Halfling Cleric 7 AC:21(22)/14/17 HP:45/45 F:+7 R: +6 W: +11(+2 vs fear) Init: +3 Perception: +5, channel 5/5, ::: Aggah 39/39hp

"Then we go to the church first." Cleo suggests, "Can you give us directions?" if he spoke common that is...


DM Intervention 1/1 l Loot List

He didn't, but Brelin could translate.

In Adamar's accented Common, he gives directions to the church of Desna within Magnimar. It is located in the Keystone district, which houses more people than the entirety of Sandpoint. It is the south-western most district before crossing the Yondabakari river.

I'm going to put up a map of Magnimar for you to see. We're not going to get too technical about everything written about Magnimar, but I do want to emphasize how absolutely massive this place is compared to Sandpoint. If you want more information about the city, you can make all manner of knowledge checks (arcana for arcane academies, religion for temples, etc).


Female Halfling Cleric 7 AC:21(22)/14/17 HP:45/45 F:+7 R: +6 W: +11(+2 vs fear) Init: +3 Perception: +5, channel 5/5, ::: Aggah 39/39hp

"Are we ready?" she'll look to the others, and if they are, starts heading toward the church. In the streets, Cleo tries not to gawk and fails miserably. Aggah tries to run and eat everything, but Cleo with the help of the others manages to keep her close.


HP 64/64 | AC 27 | T 23 | FF 14 | CMD 21| F +12| R +14 | W +9 | SPD 30 ft | Init +4 | Perc +9 Panache 3/3, Stunning Fist 1/1, Dirty Trick tattoo 3/3, Rage 6/6, Weal's Champion 1rd/day

Let's go Wabbit nods, more familiar than Cleo with crowds and big cities, but still wary


M Human Ranger 7 HP 72/72,AC18T12FF16,F7R7W4,Init6,Per12

Time to grind sidequests! Rats in cellars need killing!

Furnok is quite impressed. He had heard of how big the city was, but to see it up close was something else. He does leash Bacon(Much to Bacon's disgust) so he doesn't get too distracted.


Human Witch (Cartomancer) 7 AC:12/12/10(+4) HP:48/48 F:+5 R:+5 W:+8 Init: +6 Perception: +7

Brelin looks at the scene again

You don't think there will be problems with us walking into the city carrying several bodies in tow?


Female Halfling Cleric 7 AC:21(22)/14/17 HP:45/45 F:+7 R: +6 W: +11(+2 vs fear) Init: +3 Perception: +5, channel 5/5, ::: Aggah 39/39hp

"Shouldn't we bring the clerics here, instead of taking the bodies to them?" Cleo asked, assuming clerics here would behave like those in her home town. Making house calls.

If the others disagree, then Cleo will spend time cleaning and covering the bodies in cloth. Then loads them (with help) into the wagon.


DM Intervention 1/1 l Loot List

Cleo is correct. They will need to find clerics or doctors, who will take care of transporting the bodies. Ameiko decides to remain with the caravan, as she's experiencing shock. The rest of the group heads through the Eastern gates of Magnimar. The guards here are well equipped, and they ask the group several questions pertaining to the nature of their visit. When the group reveals that there's been a killing spree, the guards say they'll send news of it to the barracks where their superiors will decide what to do. The party is asked not to move the bodies. You can decide whether or not you want to obey this request.
As they walk away, they notice a knight in full, black armour. The chest region bears a fiendish head, and they wear helmets with forward facing horns. Their weapon of choice is the halberd, but they are heavily equipped with other weapons and gear.

Local DC 15:

This is a Hellknight, from the Order of the Nail. All Hellknights are dedicated to the rule of law, with the same devotion one would expect from a paladin towards their god. The Order of the Nail is also concerned with taming the wilderness and the monsters within it. Those who embrace nature, such as druids, are the primary enemy of this order. Hellknight orders, despite their adherence to the law, tend to enforce the order's rule, rather than those of the city. Lord-Mayors can be horribly corrupt, and Hellknights aren't afraid to depose a mayor who thinks he's above the law.
The Order of the Nail Hellknights usually come from Ranger and Slayer backgrounds, and it's quite unlikely for them to have any dedicated spellcasters.
Cleo is fine. Erastil tames the wild for the use of farming, which the Hellknights would definitely approve of. Furnok is likely to be considered a great candidate for recruitment, assuming he can take orders.

They travel down the Naos district, which is a mix of shops, guilds, brothels, minor noble houses, temples, and barracks. It is practically a city in and of itself. The Kaijitsu and Deverin manors are located here, as are some incredible monuments. The party walks under what is called The Guardians, a stone arch dedicated to famous heroes of old. They can also walk over to the Arvensoar, an enormous tower that travels from the low districts, all they way up the cliff to Naos. The tower itself is run by the military, but for a fee, citizens can use the tower's elevator for quick travel.
The tower elevator costs 5gp total to use, regardless of how many passengers are using it. It holds up to 2000lbs. The elevator itself is an intricate system of ropes, chains, pulleys, and cranks. There was an incident where the 'cargo' was 2000lbs of livestock, who freaked out and went to one side. The elevator didn't break, but it swung to the side enough that most of the livestock fell off the platform. As such, they no longer accept wild animals on the platform, unless it can be proven that the animal is well trained (commands Sit and Stay, with a successful Handle Animal check for each).


Female Halfling Cleric 7 AC:21(22)/14/17 HP:45/45 F:+7 R: +6 W: +11(+2 vs fear) Init: +3 Perception: +5, channel 5/5, ::: Aggah 39/39hp

Cleo doesn't like the idea of leaving her friends to the cold scrutiny and indifference of the guards but knows she shouldn't cause a fuss on that. "Where to we go to find out when you're done so we can have them buried properly?" she asks the guard.

Once in the city, she asks the others "Where do we go now?"


M Human Ranger 7 HP 72/72,AC18T12FF16,F7R7W4,Init6,Per12

No walking suit of plate is the boss of me!

Perhaps the Kaijitsu manor?


Human Witch (Cartomancer) 7 AC:12/12/10(+4) HP:48/48 F:+5 R:+5 W:+8 Init: +6 Perception: +7

Brelin wants to lay low, as usual

We're the new guys in town. Let's play by their rules for now


DM Intervention 1/1 l Loot List
Cleo Gingerberry wrote:

Cleo doesn't like the idea of leaving her friends to the cold scrutiny and indifference of the guards but knows she shouldn't cause a fuss on that. "Where to we go to find out when you're done so we can have them buried properly?" she asks the guard.

"They'll send a message to the church of the Lady of Graves. You'll find it in Keystone." The guard replies. He hesitates, then says "Might take awhile."

----------------------------

The group decides to take a pit stop at the Kaijitsu manor. Despite having far less land to work with compared to the manor in Sandpoint, this house is just as impressive. It stands three stories tall, and bears a mix of Chelish and Tian architectural features. A young girl is about to open the front gate. She's carrying a bag in each hand.


M Human Ranger 7 HP 72/72,AC18T12FF16,F7R7W4,Init6,Per12

Time to turn on the charm, Wabbit.


Female Halfling Cleric 7 AC:21(22)/14/17 HP:45/45 F:+7 R: +6 W: +11(+2 vs fear) Init: +3 Perception: +5, channel 5/5, ::: Aggah 39/39hp

"Children do like you. Your humor and theirs tend to overlap." Cleo gives a smile and a nudge to her cousin then hooks his arm with hers and moves them both toward the young girl. "Hello!" she says brightly "My name is Cleo Gingerberry, and this is my cousin Wabbit. Do you live here?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 64/64 | AC 27 | T 23 | FF 14 | CMD 21| F +12| R +14 | W +9 | SPD 30 ft | Init +4 | Perc +9 Panache 3/3, Stunning Fist 1/1, Dirty Trick tattoo 3/3, Rage 6/6, Weal's Champion 1rd/day

diplo: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26
We're from Sandpoint and this is our first time in the city. WOW! It's huge. Makes Sandpoint look like a farming village. Have you ever been to Sandpoint? Wabbit realizes that he's rambling....pauses...gives her his best smile and asks Can Cleo and I help you with the bags?


DM Intervention 1/1 l Loot List

When Cleo and Wabbit approach the girl, they see that she's probably in her early teens. Clearly a shy girl, she looks scared when the two halflings approach her. However, Wabbit turns on the charm really well, and soon the girl warms up to them. This girl, who introduces herself as Amaya, is a little on the plump side. She has high cheek bones and a light bronze skin complexion, but also intelligent-looking almond eyes. Her hair is long, straight, and black as night. She's definitely got some Tian heritage in her, but probably some Chelish or Taldan as well.

"Yes, I do live here." Amaya responds. "Is it huge? I suppose, but I hear Korvosa's bigger. I've lived here my whole life, so I guess I don't really know. I've heard about Sandpoint, my father lives there most of the time. I've heard it's really small and smells like fish. I don't mean to be impolite, but my father says a lot of mean things about Sandpoint, except that it's pretty quiet and the land is cheap."

She's a bit low-energy for a kid, but you can easily tell that she has a very keen mind.

Wabbit diplomacy make request: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20

Amaya looks a bit reluctant to let the halflings help her carry her bags into the house, but she raises her eyebrows and with a small smile says "Yeah, I could use the help. Thank you." Wabbit and Cleo bring the bags in, which are a collection of groceries and books. Amara takes a key out of her pocket and unlocks the doors. The manor is bright with natural light, but completely silent. A slinky white cat jumps down from its perch on an immaculate chest made of darkwood and gold inlay. It mews constantly.

"Tadaima." She says, with an air of annoyance. "Oi, Shiro, chottomatte. Gesuto ga imasu."

She slips on a pair on indoor slippers, and offers two pairs for Cleo and Wabbit. The slippers are both halfling size. "Sorry, that's Shiro. I didn't feed him this morning and he's getting cranky. Would you like some tea?"

The inside of this manor is absolutely stunning. Darkwood flooring, elegant and masterful artwork, tiny trees pruned into elegant works of art, a grand piano that must be worth thousands of gold pieces. The only thing out of place is that the house doesn't seem to have been cleaned in awhile. Books and dishes are starting to pile up, and there's a stain of ink on the tablecloth next to a scroll bearing Tian calligraphy.


M Human Ranger 7 HP 72/72,AC18T12FF16,F7R7W4,Init6,Per12

Furnok idles outside while Bacon casually trots over to nose the the garden, looking like an ordinary pig while he eavesdrops next to a window.


DM Intervention 1/1 l Loot List

I keep forgetting.

While the rest of the group waits, Brelin leans against a brick house. Unfortunately, she ends up with a sharp pain in her back, enough to make her recoil. Embedded in a crack in the brick is a little needle, which now bears a drop of Brelin's blood.


Female Halfling Cleric 7 AC:21(22)/14/17 HP:45/45 F:+7 R: +6 W: +11(+2 vs fear) Init: +3 Perception: +5, channel 5/5, ::: Aggah 39/39hp

the rest of you are not coming in?

"Like fish?" Cleo laughs "My village is a tannery, so fish is lovely in comparison. It is a beautiful place and I got to know a lot of people. Maybe your father? The only person I knew that spoke of the place like that was Lonjiku. He assumed I was a slave the one time I talked to him." as she talks she notices the others are not there. "Why didn't they come in?" she wants to go check on them but decides asking a question then bolting is rude.


DM Intervention 1/1 l Loot List

"Yeah, like fish!" Amaya smiles. She takes a sardine out of one of the bags. Shiro the cat goes crazy, meowing frantically as he chases her to a little dish on the floor. She puts the fish down for him, and he starts eating.

"Yeah, that's dad alright." Amaya replies. She tries to impersonate the voice of an old man. "Only difference between slave and worker, is coppers and bed." She looks at Cleo to gauge her reaction, then switches back to her usual voice. "He's mean to my nannies. He yells at them and hurts them, but they don't deserve it. He's fired all of them now, since a couple weeks ago. Now it's just me and Shiro. I don't know when he's coming back. It gets lonely sometimes."


Female Halfling Cleric 7 AC:21(22)/14/17 HP:45/45 F:+7 R: +6 W: +11(+2 vs fear) Init: +3 Perception: +5, channel 5/5, ::: Aggah 39/39hp

"Oh" Cleo says softly, stopping her treck outside to check on her friends. Turning back to the young girl, she'll ask her to sit "We didn't know he had another child. Your father was killed in an attack on Sandport. Go--" Cleo stopped in memory, realizing that is when she met Aggah, fate is a horror at times "Gobins led by a half-elf named Tsuto were responsible, but part of a greater plot. Ameiko said he was your half brother." Cleo will relay the entire story if the girl wants details, leaving out vivid descriptions if possible.


DM Intervention 1/1 l Loot List

Amaya sits down as asked. "Wait, what? Those sound like Tian names. You're saying I have siblings in Sandpoint?"

Cleo explains the whole adventure, from saving the town from goblins, to finding Tsuto in the glassworks with Ameiko and the slain Lonjiku. She tells the story of the tunnels of Lamashtu under the glassworks, and then the story of their adventure into Thistletop. It's a long story, one that Amaya is on the edge of her seat for.

Amaya tells the story of how she grew up. Her mom was a noble from Magnimar, and her father is Lonjiku Kaijitsu. Neither spent much time with her, but she grew up with halfling nannies and maids, and Shiro of course. She proudly talks about her time in school, in which she was top of the class in nearly all subjects. Her favourite things to do is reading, but she's been enjoying learning how to cook. Her mom passed away three years ago, and Amaya only shows a small amount of sadness. She says that her mother spent a lot of time travelling to far off places, so she didn't see her very often, only a few times a year. Her father's death elicits a more mixed reaction from Amaya. It's clear that she's got bad memories of him, but he was definitely a 'father' even if only part of the time.


Female Halfling Cleric 7 AC:21(22)/14/17 HP:45/45 F:+7 R: +6 W: +11(+2 vs fear) Init: +3 Perception: +5, channel 5/5, ::: Aggah 39/39hp

Cleo listens to the whole story, not quietly but like she's having a conversation, but with asking questions, exclaiming at her achievements at school, agreeing that cooking is the best, expressing sympathy at the sorrows, etc.

At the end, "Wabbit and I came with friends, the people from the stories, some of them at least." her voice carries her own sadness for a moment. "Furnok, Brelin, Aggah, Bacon and... Ameiko. Your half-sister." she quickly adds "I am certain she didn't know about you, or this would not be the first time you met, no matter your father's feelings on the matter." she'll pause, then ask "Can I invite them in?"


DM Intervention 1/1 l Loot List

"Uhm, yeah, okay." Says Amaya, feeling nervous.

What have the rest of you been up to for the last... hourish? There's plenty around the district to entertain yourself.


Female Halfling Cleric 7 AC:21(22)/14/17 HP:45/45 F:+7 R: +6 W: +11(+2 vs fear) Init: +3 Perception: +5, channel 5/5, ::: Aggah 39/39hp

Cleo will pop off the chair, and before going to find them she'll reach out to give the girl a hand squeeze, "Don't worry. Ameiko is a kind woman, and one of my greatest friends."

and will wait til the others spend their hour before finding them


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human Ranger 7 HP 72/72,AC18T12FF16,F7R7W4,Init6,Per12

I just hit the 'Speed time' button 1 hour. Works in Fallout


Human Witch (Cartomancer) 7 AC:12/12/10(+4) HP:48/48 F:+5 R:+5 W:+8 Init: +6 Perception: +7

Brelin looks at the needle trying to figure out what's it doing there

perception?: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

She cleans it spotless anyway, with a rag or something looking around suspiciously

Then she finds a quiet spot in the shade and sets her cards down trying to find patterns in the colours and figures

7,451 to 7,497 of 7,497 << first < prev | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.