Gallery of Regrettably Overpriced Items


Advice

201 to 246 of 246 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

I just want to see four goblins pilot a couple apparati of the crab into town because they LOVE the continual flame eyes to try and intimidate a town into surrender or else become extremely pinched.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

We Be Iron Goblin5?


If only they weren't so expensive that itd blow party wbl up if they captured them, what a terrifying low level encounter..


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Oh, I was thinking of a new Goblin scenario for PFS, sorry!

While we're on this thread, though, does anyone else look at some of the consumables out there and go 'yeahhhh... that's too rich for a one-off, sorry'?

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Wei Ji the Learner wrote:


Restorative Ointment:

4000gp for something any decent healer should be able to do, or acts as a topical Cure Light Wounds... Never seen this in play, NPC or PC

Yeah, that item cost literally 5 times the value of having all 3 of those spells cast by a 5th level caster.

If it were like 2000 gp, I think it could actually be pretty good. Yeah, still more expensive than getting the spellcasting for any of the individual spells but getting a 3 in one in a can is a pretty nice find. I think it'd probably be better if they just sold it individual portions as well.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Wei Ji the Learner wrote:


Oh, I was thinking of a new Goblin scenario for PFS, sorry!

While we're on this thread, though, does anyone else look at some of the consumables out there and go 'yeahhhh... that's too rich for a one-off, sorry'?

Yes, all the time.

I am constantly dumbfounded by how the hell we have all these single use items that are basically amulets that commoners use to ward off evil and are "temporary" things "handed out cheaply by shamans" but somehow cost like 400+ gp. How the hell does a 1st level commoner even afford this? Like what commoners is an adept selling talismans of Warrior's Courage to?

It's a shame too, I'd love to have a world full of more items like talismans that have limited uses vs. specific stuff but are super cheap and things like clerics & shamans sell all the time to help around town. Talismens that hang from doorways that ward of gremlins or medicine bags that only work against a specific disease or votive candles to a specific saint that give a buff to a specific single knowledge check and stuff like that but are all like 50-100 gp or so and don't just have them be reskinned potions. Now, I'm cool with some of that, but just saying you should reskin that on its own is lazy design.

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Natan Linggod 327 wrote:
graystone wrote:

A 1st level spell and a cantrip.

#1 buy a pig skeleton off a butcher. [or 'find' your own]
#2 cast Restore Corpse: gain one rotten pig.
#3 cast Purify Food and Drink: Gain one fresh pig.
#4 everyone enjoys bacon and pork chops.
#5 cast Prestidigitation: Gain clean bones [optional, but I don't want a mess]
#6 toss bones in bag of holding for tomorrow.
#7 go to step #2 next day.

EDIT: replace pig for your favorite snack animal, but watch out for weight on some of the tastier ones. ;)

You know, a group of druids could make a fortune using this combo to supply exotic meats to rich people without making a dent in the animals population.

Gain favour and monetary resources to run nature preserves without impacting endangered species population count. Sounds perfect.

Hell, I think you just solved the whole Ghoul Problem.

*begins Hermes impersonation*
"We have managed to make the entire flesh economy of Nemret Noktoria run on the body of one Australian."


"Mannnnn. Recycled ursine, AGAIN?" *sigh*


doc the grey wrote:
Wei Ji the Learner wrote:

Restorative Ointment:

4000gp for something any decent healer should be able to do, or acts as a topical Cure Light Wounds... Never seen this in play, NPC or PC

Yeah, that item cost literally 5 times the value of having all 3 of those spells cast by a 5th level caster.

A jar of this unguent is 3 inches in diameter and 1 inch deep, and contains five applications.

Placed upon a poisoned wound or swallowed, the ointment detoxifies any poison (as neutralize poison with a +5 bonus on the check). Applied to a diseased area, it removes disease (as remove disease with a +5 bonus on the check). Rubbed on a wound, the ointment cures 1d8+5 points of damage (as cure light wounds).

-- With the price down to 800gp per application, this is lifesaver material, especially if you've afflicted by something with a rapid count-down 'til death or perma-screw (of the type you need a Wish or Miracle to remove).


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Except that neutralize poison and remove disease can fail (and at +5, probably will).


That's an untyped bonus. It'll stack with the ability of whomever is making the check.

There are seven classes than can cast Remove Disease, and ten (!) than can cast Neutralize Poison. The ointment will allow them to do so as if they were casting a 4th spell in a 9th level slot with Heighten Spell.

-- I will stipulate that Restorative Ointment is not a value item for a martial who never travels with full casters. But, like that scroll of Breath of Life in a tube tied to his belt, a jar of this stuff has a place in the mid-level character's inventory.


pauljathome wrote:
shaventalz wrote:


I nominate the various Rings of Wizardry..
With a few quite notable exceptions, most rings are overpriced for what you get.

In addition to taking up the highly coveted ring slot.


The Shifty Mongoose wrote:

How about the Belt of Fallen Heroes? At 21k, you can get 6 hours of an Unseen Servant, only THIS one warns you about everything! Sure, the +1 to all saves is an insight bonus, meaning it stacks with all your resistance ones, but if a GM put it a treasure pile, I'd half-expect them to add, "but the Fallen Hero's warnings are high-pitched, nonstop, and really annoying."

Also, it being a belt means your Belt of Physical Enhancement isn't budging.

No, you get a Spiritual Ally, which os pretty good.

Shadow Lodge

Oops. That does make it better, though mostly if you're going by Unchained APB. Was I looking at a pre-errata version of it, or did I just misread the whole thing? I sure don't know.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Slim Jim wrote:

That's an untyped bonus. It'll stack with the ability of whomever is making the check.

There are seven classes than can cast Remove Disease, and ten (!) than can cast Neutralize Poison. The ointment will allow them to do so as if they were casting a 4th spell in a 9th level slot with Heighten Spell.

Um, what? Using the ointment is same as casting the spell, except you use ointment s caster level (which as 5th will fail often). It doesnt give a caster level bonus to someone who can cast those spells. We found it to be overpriced and uneffective in play although we held on it for a long time. It would probably be more useful if it was cure serious wounds instead of clw.


necromental wrote:
Slim Jim wrote:

That's an untyped bonus. It'll stack with the ability of whomever is making the check.

There are seven classes than can cast Remove Disease, and ten (!) than can cast Neutralize Poison. The ointment will allow them to do so as if they were casting a 4th spell in a 9th level slot with Heighten Spell.

Um, what? Using the ointment is same as casting the spell, except you use ointment s caster level (which as 5th will fail often). It doesn't give a caster level bonus to someone who can cast those spells.

Clearly you can use it without casting a spell. But if you apply the ointment while casting the spell, then it makes sense.

Given that Remove Disease and Neutralize Poison are 3rd or 4th level spells for most of the classes, they tend to fall a bit short of the DC as you get higher, and thus need will arise for an augmenting item.

I'm guessing a less than stellar relay of RAI.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Slim Jim wrote:
Clearly you can use it without casting a spell. But if you apply the ointment while casting the spell, then it makes sense.

...about as much sense as casting it twice to get double bonuses?

Since it's not defined otherwise, applying the ointment is a standard action. As is casting those spells. You don't get to take two standard actions at once. The ointment would take effect independently of the cast spell since it's a separate effect.

(Also, remove diseases and neutralize poison both use uncapped caster level checks - the spell level has no effect on effectiveness here. And true enough, as a caster level 5 item, it gives a +5 bonus on those checks.)

/Edit: I just noticed that you made a separate thread to discuss this three minutes before I posted...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Slim Jim wrote:

Clearly you can use it without casting a spell. But if you apply the ointment while casting the spell, then it makes sense.

Given that Remove Disease and Neutralize Poison are 3rd or 4th level spells for most of the classes, they tend to fall a bit short of the DC as you get higher, and thus need will arise for an augmenting item.

I'm guessing a less than stellar relay of RAI.

As you get higher level you have a higher chance to pass DCs to remove affliction as they are based on your caster level. I think it's rather that you are reading too much into the item than it functioning as bonus to your caster checks (items that do that are rare, expensive and clearly spelled out as doing so).


The Rules thread that I created to discuss the ointment.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Bill Dunn wrote:


But don’t forget the 18 javelins for 36 lbs and 6 bows or staves for at least 18 lbs more.

Because anyone with a bow uses javelins and staves for....?

Silly Wolf.

Efficient quiver is for wizards. Meta magic rods, wands, staves, scroll cases.

And yes.. we need the weight savings.


Quote:

Choker of the Rough Beast

Source Inner Sea Combat pg. 58 (Amazon)
Aura strong abjuration and conjuration; CL 20th
Slot neck; Price 100,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.

This black iron neckpiece is forged in the likeness of Rovagug’s holy symbol. An evil wearer gains a +2 profane bonus on all saving throws. A creature with the touch of corruption class ability that wears the choker of the Rough Beast increases the damage dice of that ability from 1d6 per 2 antipaladinAPG levels to 1d8 per 2 levels.

Good-aligned creatures within 120 feet of the choker of the Rough Beast hear distant bellows of unimaginable rage, giving them a –2 penalty on all Perception checks as the sounds distract them. Within 30 feet of the necklace, the sound increases, and all good-aligned creatures must succeed at a DC 18 Will save or be shaken while within range. They can attempt another save after 24 hours.

If the wearer willingly breaks the choker in half (a fullround action), the ground under his feet ruptures open and consumes him (as the imprisonment spell). The blood of Rovagug seeps up from the wound in the earth 1d6 rounds after the wielder is consumed. Treat this as a fiendish carnivorous blob (Bestiary 2 51, 292) that attacks any living creature within sight. The hole seals immediately after the blood rises.

Possibly the most expensive and spectacular way to retire your character from any campaign, this costly item is inexplicably PFS-legal (not that many characters could ever afford it).

No word on what happens if the item is sundered by an opponent.


Slim Jim wrote:
Quote:

Choker of the Rough Beast

Source Inner Sea Combat pg. 58 (Amazon)
Aura strong abjuration and conjuration; CL 20th
Slot neck; Price 100,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.

This black iron neckpiece is forged in the likeness of Rovagug’s holy symbol. An evil wearer gains a +2 profane bonus on all saving throws. A creature with the touch of corruption class ability that wears the choker of the Rough Beast increases the damage dice of that ability from 1d6 per 2 antipaladinAPG levels to 1d8 per 2 levels.

Good-aligned creatures within 120 feet of the choker of the Rough Beast hear distant bellows of unimaginable rage, giving them a –2 penalty on all Perception checks as the sounds distract them. Within 30 feet of the necklace, the sound increases, and all good-aligned creatures must succeed at a DC 18 Will save or be shaken while within range. They can attempt another save after 24 hours.

If the wearer willingly breaks the choker in half (a fullround action), the ground under his feet ruptures open and consumes him (as the imprisonment spell). The blood of Rovagug seeps up from the wound in the earth 1d6 rounds after the wielder is consumed. Treat this as a fiendish carnivorous blob (Bestiary 2 51, 292) that attacks any living creature within sight. The hole seals immediately after the blood rises.

Possibly the most expensive and spectacular way to retire your character from any campaign, this costly item is inexplicably PFS-legal (not that many characters could ever afford it).

No word on what happens if the item is sundered by an opponent.

I don't know what PC would want to use it, but that is an awesome magic item for a boss.

Also, this is just me, but sundering it is a reward for a party that has a character who can identify the item on the fly and relay that to a character who specializes in Sunder in order to activate Phase 2 of the boss fight immediately. I mean, RAW, sundering doesn't do a thing. It explicitly indicates the wearer activates the effect by willingly breaking the choker, sundering wouldn't do a thing.

EDIT: A boss with PC wealth though... an NPC who could afford this is not going to stress anyone out with a carnivorous blob.


THUNDER_Jeffro wrote:
Slim Jim wrote:
Quote:

Choker of the Rough Beast

Source Inner Sea Combat pg. 58 (Amazon)
Aura strong abjuration and conjuration; CL 20th
Slot neck; Price 100,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.

This black iron neckpiece is forged in the likeness of Rovagug’s holy symbol. An evil wearer gains a +2 profane bonus on all saving throws. A creature with the touch of corruption class ability that wears the choker of the Rough Beast increases the damage dice of that ability from 1d6 per 2 antipaladinAPG levels to 1d8 per 2 levels.

Good-aligned creatures within 120 feet of the choker of the Rough Beast hear distant bellows of unimaginable rage, giving them a –2 penalty on all Perception checks as the sounds distract them. Within 30 feet of the necklace, the sound increases, and all good-aligned creatures must succeed at a DC 18 Will save or be shaken while within range. They can attempt another save after 24 hours.

If the wearer willingly breaks the choker in half (a fullround action), the ground under his feet ruptures open and consumes him (as the imprisonment spell). The blood of Rovagug seeps up from the wound in the earth 1d6 rounds after the wielder is consumed. Treat this as a fiendish carnivorous blob (Bestiary 2 51, 292) that attacks any living creature within sight. The hole seals immediately after the blood rises.

Possibly the most expensive and spectacular way to retire your character from any campaign, this costly item is inexplicably PFS-legal (not that many characters could ever afford it).

No word on what happens if the item is sundered by an opponent.

I don't know what PC would want to use it, but that is an awesome magic item for a boss.

Also, this is just me, but sundering it is a reward for a party that has a character who can identify the item on the fly and relay that to a character who specializes in Sunder in order to activate Phase 2 of the boss fight immediately. I mean, RAW, sundering doesn't do a thing. It explicitly indicates the wearer activates the...

would have to refuff it for the gods in our campaign but i got a graveknight antipaladin that would love to have this(if it was crafted instead of purchased for 100k) cuz 100k is way to much imo wonder how much it would cost for just the 1st 2 abilities?

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Got a new one for you guys, Miasmatic Mask. A dark purple mask that lets you cast the spell Miasmatic Form 1/day for 5 minutes and costs 23,000 gp.

You could literally buy a wand of the spell with 2 charges and have more uses per day, that last longer, and cost less than 1% of the mask's total value. Hell, I could buy a full want AND STILL HAVE SPENT LESS THAN HALF IT'S COST.

Lmao, I just realized someone could literally find this item, sell it in town, use the proceeds to buy a full wand of miasmatic form, and still have money to spare XD.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

What if you can't use wands?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

And what if you can't find a wand of a sylph-specific spell in the first place? Maybe there aren't any sylph crafters in the area.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
blahpers wrote:
And what if you can't find a wand of a sylph-specific spell in the first place? Maybe there aren't any sylph crafters in the area.

Then you probably won’t find that mask either, on account of there being no Sylph crafters.


Wouldn't that only be +5 DC to craft the mask, since unlike the wand it's not a spell-trigger or spell-completion item?


Matthew Downie wrote:
Wouldn't that only be +5 DC to craft the mask, since unlike the wand it's not a spell-trigger or spell-completion item?

yes and then you could use the mask to make the wand


Slim Jim wrote:
The Rules thread that I created to discuss the ointment.

Even with how the rules are written/intended, this makes for a great flavor piece as opposed to just potions. Yoinking this for a game.

Side question, I saw SRD is kinda behind the times, how up to date is Archive of Nythes? Or however you spell it


Slim Jim wrote:
Kurald Galain wrote:
You... missed the fact that its effect is random, right? If found in random loot, any player in their right mind would sell it.

Exactly. It's basically a slotless, uncontrollable ioun stone that is powered by sucking down your primary stat.

"Only a tenth trade-in, huh? Um. Sure. I'll take the 600gp. Hmm. Eh, maybe not. Can't decide. You know, 600gp seems to be about exactly what this is worth to me. Makes me wonder if they typo'ed. I'll flip a coin to see if I keep/sell."

If the dev was worried about PCs buying a whole pile of them to repeatedly flip until getting the result he wanted, a limitation precluding multiple coins usage is better than setting a prohibitive price.

In fairness, you're assuming all PCs are built around the optimal race for their class—or as humans. A halfling wizard, an elf fighter, or an orc bard might find it substantially more delightful.

Not enough to buy it, though.

And a gnome would jump on a badger and ride to Mount Doom before you even finished explaining the market price. Probably because it's human-only. My bad.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
MerlinCross wrote:
Slim Jim wrote:
The Rules thread that I created to discuss the ointment.

Even with how the rules are written/intended, this makes for a great flavor piece as opposed to just potions. Yoinking this for a game.

Side question, I saw SRD is kinda behind the times, how up to date is Archive of Nythes? Or however you spell it

Nethys, as in the Golarion god of magic. They're about 3 months behind. D20pfsrd has Ultimate Wilderness up, even if their site is a mess. The official srd is 1-3 years behind depending on what exactly you're after.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Chromantic Durgon <3 wrote:
I can't imagine anyone ever brought a Vril staff.

or any one of the kineticst items realy.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Whacked-out archery nonsense today:

Quote:

Windreader’s Bow

Price 54,400 gp; Slot none; CL 8th; Weight 3 lbs.; Aura moderate divination

Whenever an arrow fired from this +1 adaptive seeking composite longbow damages the wielder’s favored enemy or studied target (as per the ranger and slayer class features, respectively), in addition to its normal effects, it also deals 2 points of bleed damage. As long as the bleed effect continues, the wielder can sense that foe’s approximate direction and distance twice per day by smelling the wind as a standard action.

Right. Because by the time I can afford it, my opponents will either routinely have more hitpoints than a house or be casters not unduly inconvenienced by the irritation of a DC 15 Heal check post-Dim'd out of Dodge after being inexplicably unable to quickly demolish any adversary dumb enough to buy this junk.

"Hold on, Dan, I'll tell you where he went in just a moment...." <sniff><sniff> "He's...*that* way!" <points cross-wind> "Not sure how I can smell sideways like that, but, yeah, 'magic'. ...aw crap, now the scent's gone. ...Hey, why's the sky lighting up like that?"

More sensible: stick with a regular +1/adaptive/seeking composite longbow (9,000gp) and have enough gold left for 45,400 Thistle Arrows (should you feel the need for that many), and you won't have to be one of dem dar genius-level *rangers* to trigger the additional bleed damage.

(Thistle arrows are also 1/350th the price of the ridiculously-overpriced Bleed arrows.)

-- On the bright side, a Windreader's Bow costs five grand less than this:

Quote:

Thorn Bow

Price 59,700 gp; Slot none; CL 9th; Weight 8 lbs.; Aura moderate conjuration

This +2 lesser designating composite longbow (+3 Str) has a bowstring that resembles a thorny vine. Once per day as a standard action, the wielder can prick her finger on the vine and fire an arrow at a creature or square to cause the arrow to become a wall of thorns centered on the struck creature or object. When the wielder is targeting a square, treat that as a ranged attack against AC 5. The wielder can choose how the wall of thorns is oriented.

(We now join a Tier 12-15 level game in progress....)

PC: "Yes! Got it! ...OK, what happens?"

GM: "A dense, prickly thicket springs up around it, and...." <consults book for a moment to look up Wall of Thorns; notes damage is a function of 25 minus target's AC> "...and it begins crashing through the obstruction."

PC: "I full-attack!"

GM: You can no longer see your target as it is behind an opaque wall of thick vegetation."

PC: "Damnit! OK, I'll ready to shoot it with Seeking arrows when it's broken enough branches for the cover to be reduced to concealment."

GM: "Irritated by the delays in reaching its dinner, the monster thrashes furiously, widening an area of flattened plants. Then, no longer restrained, it hunkers down and jumps straight over the remaining barrier. Take your shot."

PC: <shoots> "Does it look hurt?"

GP: "Aside from one arrow sticking in it, it appears to be unwounded."

PC: "What? All of those thorns did nothing? Why didn't it work?"

GM: "Your character 'Dan' would surmise that the monster's hide is just too tough for your weapon's special magicks to harm. You did get its attention though, and it is eyeing you hungrily."

Susie: "Better you than me!" <then, in-character, cheerleader voice> "Go get him, Danny! You can do it!"

PC: "This bow *sucks*!"

GM: "At least you don't have to be a Ranger to activate it."

PC: "Huh?"

GM: "Nevermind."


Battlefield control isn't necessarily about damage. Dropping a wall of thorns on an enemy 30' away, then running some distance off before it makes its way out could be a valid tactic. I mean, yes you're right the thorn bow's regrettably overpriced, but it's not useless.


Yeah those seem kinda meah to me. I'd consider shaving off a bonus(or quality) and dropping it to maybe 5k?


Matthew Downie wrote:
90,000gp for a Ring of Regeneration. It heals just one hit point per round, and allows you to regrow body parts that you never lose if you're playing by the Core rules. And prevents bleed damage, which is nice, but not worth the price.

For 1/26th of the price of a RoR, you can get a cracked pearly white spindle. It only heals one hit point per hour -- but that's not important; what matters is that you have regeneration at all, because possessing such means that you cannot die from hit point damage (which also means that the stone is a bargain compared to the cost of Raise Dead + any necessary Restoration).


Pearly White Spindle Ioun Stone wrote:
This stone grants the wearer the ability to regenerate 1 point of damage per 10 minutes. Regeneration works like a ring of regeneration. It only cures damage taken while the character is using the stone.

->

Ring of Regeneration wrote:
This white gold ring is generally set with a large green sapphire. When worn, the ring continually allows a living wearer to heal 1 point of damage per round and an equal amount of nonlethal damage. In addition, the wearer is immune to bleed damage while wearing a ring of regeneration. If the wearer loses a limb, an organ, or any other body part while wearing this ring, the ring regenerates it as the spell regenerate. In either case, only damage taken while wearing the ring is regenerated.

->

Regenerate wrote:

The subject’s severed body members (fingers, toes, hands, feet, arms, legs, tails, or even heads of multi-headed creatures), broken bones, and ruined organs grow back. After the spell is cast, the physical regeneration is complete in 1 round if the severed members are present and touching the creature. It takes 2d10 rounds otherwise.

/.../

=====

The ioun stone does not give you the monster ability called Regeneration, but rather functions like the ring. So you can still die by hit point damage, but you're now immune to Bleed damage and can regrow body parts. Which is still hella worth it for 3,400 gp.


"A brilliant energy weapon has its significant portion transformed into light, although this does not modify the item’s weight. It always gives off light as a torch (20-foot radius). A brilliant energy weapon ignores nonliving matter. Armor and shield bonuses to AC (including any enhancement bonuses to that armor) do not count against it because the weapon passes through armor. (Dexterity, deflection, dodge, natural armor, and other such bonuses still apply.) A brilliant energy weapon cannot harm undead, constructs, or objects."

So for the value of a +4 modifier to a weapon (48k minimum) you get to ignore manufactured armor/shield bonus to AC. Oh, and your weapon becomes completely useless at harming undead, constructs, and objects. And it doesn't even make the weapon weightless. By the time adventurers can afford this they aren't likely to be fighting people in manufactured armor, which makes this more of a curse then a benefit, for 48k minimum.


Wonderstell wrote:
Pearly White Spindle Ioun Stone wrote:
This stone grants the wearer the ability to regenerate 1 point of damage per 10 minutes. Regeneration works like a ring of regeneration. It only cures damage taken while the character is using the stone.
The ioun stone does not give you the monster ability called Regeneration, but rather functions like the ring. So you can still die by hit point damage, but you're now immune to Bleed damage and can regrow body parts. Which is still hella worth it for 3,400 gp.

You don't get the bleed immunity, since you only get the HP regen as the ring. However, the regeneration arguably counts as a regeneration spell for stopping the bleed.

/cevah

Lantern Lodge

Rysky wrote:
Well, yeah. Who buys used underwear?

You'd be surprised.

There's a reason eBay bans the sell of used underwear.


Cevah wrote:

You don't get the bleed immunity, since you only get the HP regen as the ring. However, the regeneration arguably counts as a regeneration spell for stopping the bleed.

/cevah

First time I've seen that interpretation. I'm however still of the belief that you'd get bleed immunity and the ability to regenerate body parts since the Ioun Stone specifically calls it "the ability to regenerate".

Ioun Stone wrote:
This stone grants the wearer the ability to regenerate 1 point of damage per 10 minutes.
Ring wrote:
If the wearer loses a limb, an organ, or any other body part while wearing this ring, the ring regenerates it as the spell regenerate.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pearly White Spindle Ioun Stone wrote:
This stone grants the wearer the ability to regenerate 1 point of damage per 10 minutes.

This is what it does.

Pearly White Spindle Ioun Stone wrote:
Regeneration works like a ring of regeneration. It only cures damage taken while the character is using the stone.

This is how it works. Like magic items that say they work like spells, they are not the spell but only do that listed effect like the spell does.

The immunity to bleeding is given by the ring, not the stone.
The regrowing of lost body parts is given by the ring, not the stone.

It does only what it states it does.

/cevah


Cevah wrote:
It does only what it states it does.

Hm. Yeah that's pretty hard to refute, misleading terminology aside.

If we compare the costs of the Cracked and Normal versions we can see that the cost of the healing scales linearly, so a Pearly White that 'regenerated' 1 point of damage per round would cost 2,000,000 gp. Or half if it was a slotted item.
Considering that the Ring of Regeneration, which it is based on and even references, only costs 90,000 gp I assumed that the high price was for the ability to regrow limbs.


Rope costs 1gp for 50'. Perhaps not a lot for us well-heeled adventurers, but imagine the peasant-commoner going to Home Depot and getting sticker-shocked for the modern equivalent of $1,500 for a measly dozen yards of the stuff (presumably spun from virgin's hair, not this "hemp" ditchweed that grows everywhere).

Aforementioned peasants can save a reasonable amount of cash by buying hammocks for 1sp each (they come with ropes), then disassembling them (for even more rope).


Slim Jim wrote:
Quote:

Choker of the Rough Beast

Source Inner Sea Combat pg. 58 (Amazon)
Aura strong abjuration and conjuration; CL 20th
Slot neck; Price 100,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.

This black iron neckpiece is forged in the likeness of Rovagug’s holy symbol. An evil wearer gains a +2 profane bonus on all saving throws. A creature with the touch of corruption class ability that wears the choker of the Rough Beast increases the damage dice of that ability from 1d6 per 2 antipaladinAPG levels to 1d8 per 2 levels.

Good-aligned creatures within 120 feet of the choker of the Rough Beast hear distant bellows of unimaginable rage, giving them a –2 penalty on all Perception checks as the sounds distract them. Within 30 feet of the necklace, the sound increases, and all good-aligned creatures must succeed at a DC 18 Will save or be shaken while within range. They can attempt another save after 24 hours.

If the wearer willingly breaks the choker in half (a fullround action), the ground under his feet ruptures open and consumes him (as the imprisonment spell). The blood of Rovagug seeps up from the wound in the earth 1d6 rounds after the wielder is consumed. Treat this as a fiendish carnivorous blob (Bestiary 2 51, 292) that attacks any living creature within sight. The hole seals immediately after the blood rises.

Possibly the most expensive and spectacular way to retire your character from any campaign, this costly item is inexplicably PFS-legal (not that many characters could ever afford it).

No word on what happens if the item is sundered by an opponent.

Hm, I've been trying to figure out a story with a pair of Rovagug priests as the BBEGs. That could be a fun little item to give them. Once they get to the point where just one more hit from a PC will kill them, they rip off the choker and let the blob attack the party in their stead.

201 to 246 of 246 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Gallery of Regrettably Overpriced Items All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.