Aubrey's Eberron campaign. (Inactive)

Game Master Aubrey the Malformed


17,551 to 17,600 of 20,951 << first < prev | 347 | 348 | 349 | 350 | 351 | 352 | 353 | 354 | 355 | 356 | 357 | next > last >>

And sterling buffing it was too - Rod might not have been standing to blast the spider without it.

Gil flies up to inspect to cocoons. Most just comtain skeletal remains but, on muttering a brief cantrip, she is able to find a few items worth salvaging.

She finds the following (all magical, with Spellcraft DCs for identification):
- a dagger (DC 20)
- a ring (DC 20)
- a staff (DC 23)
- a falchion (DC 25)
- a rod (DC 32)

She also finds a few mundane, but valuable items: a holy symbol of Dol Dorn made of solid gold; a tiny dagger or letter opener in a gold-chased scabbard encrusted with emeralds; and a platinum bracelet with rubies


79/79 hp, 0 nonlethal; Effects: ; Perception +16, vs traps +20; Guise: Non-descript male gambler

She collects the magical items, stowing them about her person as necessary.

Spellcraft DC 20 for dagger: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (15) + 20 = 35

Spellcraft DC 20 for ring: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (18) + 20 = 38

Spellcraft DC 23 for staff: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (5) + 20 = 25

Spellcraft DC 25 for falchion: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (20) + 20 = 40

Spellcraft DC 32 for rod: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (16) + 20 = 36

She will collect the valuable items, as well, for future study.

But I will roll appraisals now.

Appraise holy symbol: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12

Appraise tiny dagger and scabbard: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30

Appraise platinum bracelet: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13


Magic items:

The dagger is a dagger +1.

The ring is a Ring of Protection +2.

The staff is a Holy Staff. It might be worth reminding you (since I had forgotten) that staves under PF are very different from 3e, so it's worth checking if you have any doubts.

The falchion is a +1 keen falchion

The rod is a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Persistent Spell.

Mundane items: the holy symbol is worth 500gp, the letter-opener is worth 1,500gp, and the bracelet is worth 1,000gp.

Hopefully a satisfactory haul.


HPs: 96 / 96, APs: 11/8 Effects: Karnnathi Wizard (Universalist) 12 / Cataclysm Mage 1

Ezreal comes to shivering and looks around from where he fell. "I don't appear to be dead, but I certainly feel close enough. What happened?"

Str of 3. I'll figure it out after work, but I'm reasonably sure I can't carry all of my gear. Anything over 10 pounds is going to slow me down.


HPs: 96 / 96, APs: 11/8 Effects: Karnnathi Wizard (Universalist) 12 / Cataclysm Mage 1

Gil- take the rod. Nearly all of your offensive magic is save dependent for any effect. Two saves required will put you in another league.


Male Human Ranger 7/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5/Fighter 1

Very nice. The falchion is a particularly nasty weapon. So, Gil takes the rod, Rod takes the staff and Nev takes the sword and the ring? I wouldn't mind the dagger after losing my kukri.


79/79 hp, 0 nonlethal; Effects: ; Perception +16, vs traps +20; Guise: Non-descript male gambler
Ezreal Farlowe wrote:
Gil- take the rod. Nearly all of your offensive magic is save dependent for any effect. Two saves required will put you in another league.

I wanted it so bad I was debating even telling the rest of the party I found it... j/k


Gelb will not mind taking the monetary treasure: the holy symbol, letter opener, and bracelet to pawn later. ;P


79/79 hp, 0 nonlethal; Effects: ; Perception +16, vs traps +20; Guise: Non-descript male gambler

Gil returns to the rest of the group and lays the treasures down, each becoming visible as she releases it.

"Father Xativa, the birch-and-ivory rod should be very useful to you. The general name for it is a holy staff though I believe many religious that possess one name it after a patron saint. I saw no indication of what this staff's name might be."

"I would like to claim the smaller rod. I believe it will make my meager abilities more potent."

"The dagger has a minor enchantment, as does the sword, but the sword has also been made supernaturally sharp and should be very devastating. Nevharath, have you used such a sword?"

"Lastly, the ring has a dweomer of protection on it, similar to rings some of us already wear. Who lacks such?"

"The last three items appear to be worth some value, but have no discernible magic. But we will have to eat if we survive this place."


Male Kalashtar Psychic Warrior 6 / War Mind 5

"I have used such a blade before, and a fine one it is. I'd gladly use it. Also, I wear no rings, so if none would use the protective ring, I would gladly use it. If we have a few minutes, I could examine objects to determine their previous owners if need be. Perhaps this may coax more value from the nonmagical items, if they were returned to relatives of the previous owners for a reward or favor."


Ready to move on?


79/79 hp, 0 nonlethal; Effects: ; Perception +16, vs traps +20; Guise: Non-descript male gambler

Aye.

"Do we continue or do we retreat, find someplace to rest?"


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =125,535(cast as a 9th level cleric)

"I like the staff."


Male Kalashtar Psychic Warrior 6 / War Mind 5

"I could use a good measure of more healing, and a rest would not be amiss. We must be mentally prepared for rest here, though. I imagine it will not be without possible interference."


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =125,535(cast as a 9th level cleric)

Healing Nev....

10d8 + 10 ⇒ (5, 8, 1, 5, 6, 4, 6, 6, 8, 3) + 10 = 62


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =125,535(cast as a 9th level cleric)

more healing Nev 4d8 + 4 ⇒ (4, 4, 7, 5) + 4 = 24


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =125,535(cast as a 9th level cleric)

199 charges left on my golf bag of clw wands.


Male Kalashtar Psychic Warrior 6 / War Mind 5

those two heals actually put me at exactly 100% of my HP, nice!

"Thank you for your ministrations. I stand ready to continue, or guard others as they rest."


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =125,535(cast as a 9th level cleric)

I don't like to waste charges.


Male Human Ranger 7/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5/Fighter 1

I'm at 12 of 87 hit points. Ez and Gelb need heavy repair as well.


You can rest if you want, if you find somewhere you consider safe. Your last rest was somewhat out of synch as you were in the realm of the Reaper, so it's fine to have another now.


Male Human Ranger 7/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5/Fighter 1

I think resting might be smart. Ezreal needs more STR healing, and most of the rest of us need a trip to the hospital. We could just go back to the hall where we fought the pseudo-Death?


We're not going to trigger the trap again, are we?


Male Human Ranger 7/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5/Fighter 1

Considering this passage, I'd say the trap is inoperative now.

Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:

With a mighty blow, Nevharath rends the soul-stuff of which the Reaper was made into a cloud of greasy motes that slowly fall to the floor. The scythe clatters to the floor and shatters.

The adventurers' eyes flick open. They are lying on the floor in the room with the mosaic of the Reaper once more. But this time they feel refreshed, as if they have had a good night's sleep. The figure of the Reaper still looks down from the ceiling but it is no longer threatening, just a cold, flat image devoid of deeper context.

Ahead, the door onward lies open.


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =125,535(cast as a 9th level cleric)
Janosz Frogshanks wrote:
I'm at 12 of 87 hit points. Ez and Gelb need heavy repair as well.

10d8 + 10 ⇒ (5, 7, 1, 2, 2, 4, 1, 8, 4, 4) + 10 = 48


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =125,535(cast as a 9th level cleric)

3d8 + 3 ⇒ (7, 6, 4) + 3 = 20


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =125,535(cast as a 9th level cleric)

1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =125,535(cast as a 9th level cleric)

sheesh!
1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =125,535(cast as a 9th level cleric)

72 hp for Janosz...


So the consensus is to hole up for a nap?


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =125,535(cast as a 9th level cleric)

I'm good with that.

Anybody need healing let me know.


Male Kalashtar Psychic Warrior 6 / War Mind 5

Nev is fine with whatever the party needs, but sounds like Ez needs to nap hard.


The adventurers backtrack, looking for a place of safety where they can rest and recuperate. They head back through the door and into the corridor leading from the Shrine of the Reaper.


Male Human Ranger 7/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5/Fighter 1

"The shrine was safe enough just a couple of hours ago. Want to set up camp there, or should we make our way out of this place altogether and get a night's sleep in our own beds?"


Male Kalashtar Psychic Warrior 6 / War Mind 5

"something tells me escaping this place all the way isn't likely. Best to return to our previous rest place."


79/79 hp, 0 nonlethal; Effects: ; Perception +16, vs traps +20; Guise: Non-descript male gambler

"I suspect Nevharath is correct. Let's hole up somewhere within the complex."


The adventurers retrace their steps and stop in the corridor between the Shrine of the Reaper and the lair of the Weaver.

OK, watch rota and then beauty sleep.


Male Human Ranger 7/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5/Fighter 1

The important thing is to get healed up and to regain (and, if necessary, change up) spells. So - Nev, Gil, Gelb, Ez and me, Rod and me? That way, everybody gets 8 hours, and our less-than-perceptive spellcasters don't have to go it alone.


Male Kalashtar Psychic Warrior 6 / War Mind 5

sounds good to me


79/79 hp, 0 nonlethal; Effects: ; Perception +16, vs traps +20; Guise: Non-descript male gambler

Agreed.


The adventurers settle down for a rest. It is impossible to know what time it actually is - after being trapped in the realm of the Reaper for an unknown period, and with the blank subterranean walls of the temple offering no clue, it could be morning or night. But after the rigours of the battle with the Weaver, the group settle down as well as they can in this uncanny place. They manage to rest, and to sleep fitfully.

But the fear of attack is ever-present. At one point a loud shriek, startlingly nearby from the the darkness beyond the doorway, gets everyone awake and reaching for their weapons. But nothing appears, and eventually they relax into a wary watchfulness. There are no other incidents, and instead the chill and the silence becomes oppressive, grating on the nerves. It is a relief towhen eventually the time to move on again arrives - restored, if not refreshed.

OK, onward.


79/79 hp, 0 nonlethal; Effects: ; Perception +16, vs traps +20; Guise: Non-descript male gambler

Just to be sure - because I've been bitten by this lately in other games - did we restore spells/regain hit points/recover ability damage?


Yes.


The adventurers move back into the web-strewn lair of the Wever. Hopefully the creature they defeated - with great effort - is the only one of its kind.

Survival checks to get out and move on to the next section of the temple.


Male Human Ranger 7/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5/Fighter 1

Survival 13+18=31. If tracking is involved, I get an additional +3 bonus.


It takes about an hour, creeping across bridges, crawling along ledges and avoiding the webs, expecting the attack that never comes. Strange noises echo out of the dark - groaning exhalations, sudden crashes, whispers just too faint to make out - but from where they come remains unseen in the dark. But finally the heroes stand before the exit from this grim spider's lair.

A stone door, a different colour to the cavern wall into which it is set, is carved in relief. It depicts a mountain, huge and menacing, covered in snow and ice. A strong wind blows a tenuous plume of snow from its peak and an avalanche plunges from its flank. In its path, tiny figures are climbing - whether to conquer the summit or to escape the mountain's fury is unclear.


79/79 hp, 0 nonlethal; Effects: ; Perception +16, vs traps +20; Guise: Non-descript male gambler

I presume that Gelb is far more proficient at searching for traps than Gil.

"Gelb, shall we examine the door for nasty surprises?"

Perception (trapfinding): 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (10) + 17 = 27


"You go first. Then I'll go and we'll compare notes. Also, anyone know the significance of what we're looking at?"

Perception (trapfinding): 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (8) + 17 = 25.

I'm assuming Rod healed our wounds before we rested. If not, Gelb is down 10 hps after rest.


Male Kalashtar Psychic Warrior 6 / War Mind 5

"I believe that perhaps these reliefs are representative of moments in Gath's past."


The door appears not to be trapped.

17,551 to 17,600 of 20,951 << first < prev | 347 | 348 | 349 | 350 | 351 | 352 | 353 | 354 | 355 | 356 | 357 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Aubrey's Eberron campaign. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.