A Tiny Part Of The Dimension Wars (Interdimensional Spy Follies

Game Master GM Hansj

You: hardened, experienced agents of an ad-hoc group of wizards, priests and occultist, known only as "The Organization". You act to stop plane-destroying effects such as those unleashed by the mysterious and sinister Dark Traders.

Current Location: Journeying from Gamjee Town to the area inhabited by the mysterious Cucurai. Nearly 2 days in, close to the "lookout".

Leander's way points:
1) A lookout in hill, showing a wide area, 2 days along
2) The Crystal Forrest, 4 days along
3) Oil Flats, 5 days along
4) A matrix of caves, 8 days along
5) Mornette Flowers, 11 days along
6) Valley of Mists 13 days along
7) The Cucurai's home, 14 days along

Final Goal:
Discover the relation between the Cucurai and a mysterious book describing the Dark Traders' "seeding" of various planes.


1 to 50 of 4,549 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

(Once any further preparations are made).

Cordelia conducts the chosen members of the party to a part of the chateau that group has not previous visited.

After passing through several hallways and antechambers, you come to a large room, maybe 40'x50' feet but irregular. It contains a contains a series of floating, glowing, translucent globes filled with strange filament and points of light like fireflies.

A variety of strange individuals are moving around the globes and lights. Cordelia points to a wan female, vaguely human or gith like, but with two tentacle about her shoulders that seem to float with the filament in the globe.

"This is Bethia, she discovered the plane you will be visiting. Please show it to us Bethia"
The wan humanoid nods gives a distant, respectful nod and leads the group toward the center of the room. Pointing with a tentacle, she directs your attention to a fist sized globe of light floating in the large diagram of the multiverse that is the globe. The light of the globe is yellow, orange, brown and turquoise. It's glow seems hopefully, promising, fruitful, surprisingly so for just floating ball of light. But also a shadow seems to float around it, also surprisingly threatening and disturbing.

"this is you destiny. Let me show you the means you will use to reach it. Be cautious but not too afraid" She lead a short ways across the floor to a group of stone chairs with mithral chains, shackles and helmets attached.
"This is, unfortunately, is what we have to take you there. As an interdicted world, not ordinary spell will. This entire room is the mechanism of transport. It will also perform some minor transformations, adjusting your mundane items, changing a bit even your hair color and the accent with which you speak common. It usually goes away but a true traveler is prepared for such things, am I right?" She smiles somewhat ruefully.

"What do they call the plane? I believe 'Between sky and earth', like many planes. The words always just mean home, am I right?"

She actually gives you considerably more background on the subject as she gets on comfortable on the store chair. Finally she gives you soft stones, colored like agates but with the texture of hard plastic and changing color when pressed.

"These serve several purposes. Place it in your mouth and you can avoid biting off your tongue. Also, hold them when you arrive. They bind you to the plane. If you truly need to leave quickly, you can destroy it and you will find your way back to your native plane of attunement. That process can be difficult. Our people can use it for an easier way. Also, when the planes align properly, you may be able to use it to communicate with or Bethia. We are the principle 'handlers' outside 'Earth and Sky'. You will appear at dawn in a dense, enchanted forest three miles outside of Ovium. Head to the Cup and Anchor quite close to the wall. Ask for the Inn-keepers' assistant Aria and she will help you each establish yourself in the town. You will find 1000 pieces of the local currency in your purses when you awake"

You strapped tightly into the chairs. Besides the Mithral chains, they bring leather straps to hold you perfectly still - a certainly that a process of torture might begin seizes you but then Bethia begins massaging the globe. It expands and a terrifying process of shifting, a process that feels as if you are being turned inside-out mentally and physically. You appreciate being restrained as your bodies writhe uncontrolled for some period and then you wake a rather forest, with tree seemingly partly burned, branches with only a few deep green leaves. And so you begin, arriving at the Cup and Anchor, which is a somewhat standard safehouse of the organization, any locals there vetted as normal. Aria gives each of you detailed suggestions and resources for establishing a network of contacts.

I will post rules, rolls and options for establishing your character in a game information thread one I make it


Image Android AC 19/FF15/T14 | F+3 R+9 W+7 | HP 45/45 | Init+4

Al-eon listened then asked Bethia, about the communication set up. What was meant by planes alined? Also local customs and clothing on the Sky/earth plane. Satisfied she had what the information down. She followed orders to the letter. Then in the chair. Even being still her body warped and moved in odd ways as they transition.

Awaking in the woods, she ran a systems check, then went over her equipment. Her suit PDA and AI were nonresponsive. Radio comms just gave static. A few things worked but only the very basic ones. Well at least it was some form of protection. She took out a few odd-looking weapons most where dead. She settled on a few simple working ones.

Putting them away, she activated her suit, bring up a holo project of local normal clothing. A long white overcoat buttoned to the neck.
just as Sleaves of many garments, with flavor.

She then went to check the others.


Male Dwarf|HP: 123/123|DR 3/-|AC: 25 (12 Tch, 24 Fl)||CMB: +15, CMD: 27|F: +14, R: +10, W: +12|Init: +2|Smite evil +4, +14 to damage, +4 deflection bonus to AC, 4x/day|Retribution (Su) 7x/day Paladin (Tortured Crusader)/10th/Godling (mighty)/3rd|Speed 20ft (20ft)|Lay on Hands 8/8x/day, 5d6
GM Hansj wrote:
"This is your destiny. Let me show you the means you will use to reach it. Be cautious but not too afraid."

Arlo's scowl deepened at the mention of 'destiny', as if the very concept annoyed the dwarf greatly.

GM Hansj wrote:
You strapped tightly into the chairs. Besides the Mithral chains, they bring leather straps to hold you perfectly still - a certainly that a process of torture might begin seizes you but then Bethia begins massaging the globe. It expands and a terrifying process of shifting, a process that feels as if you are being turned inside-out mentally and physically.

Arlo writhes in pain, as the physical pain reminds him of his darkest days. The dwarf's cursing become for louder and more frequent as his body becomes ripped away from this reality.

Once in the enchanted forest, Arlo checks himself and finds that he is whole..physically.


F Human | Init +1 | AC 24 T19 FF22 CMD 25 (+2 grapple)| Hp 66/66 | Fort +17 Ref +14, Will +14 | Perception+11 (+2 vs evil outsiders) |

Moira sits through the travel process serenely. Once in the forest, she checks to make sure the rest of the team is in good shape before looking towards the Cup and Anchor. "Is it just me or does 'tavern safehouse'seem like an oxymoron?" She tries on the local accent to get a feel for it.


Female Halfling Paladin (Virtuous Bravo) 6 | AC 24 - Touch 17 - Flatfooted 18 | Fort +13, Reflex +13, Will +11 | HP 45/45 | Init +7

Briallen was a tough little halfling, but she had to admit, she really did not like sitting in that chair. The torturous transformation was excruciating, and she frankly didn't like the idea of possibly not having the changes disappear when the mission was done. Briallen frankly took quite a lot of care for her appearance, and didn't want to return home one day looking like a stranger...

Eventually, the pain subsided, and the paladin awoke in a strange, burnt looking wood with only sparse greenery on its trees...

Briallen took a few moments to recover, then tried to go find the others... but they were all close together enough that it wasn't necessary, and Moira and Al-eon had already been of the same mind.

Noticing a few minor changes on her allies, the young paladin pulled a mirror out from her haversack and tried to get a look at herself...

Any important changes that our characters have undergone specifically we should know about? And for reference's sake, what sort of accent does everyone seem to be speaking with now?

"Taverns can make better safehouses than you might think," mused Briallen as Moira spoke. "Suffice it to say that information is brought to you, that it is VERY ordinary place for locals and travelers to meet, and that hiding in plain sight can serve just as well as lurking in any beshadowed place."


male halfling swashbuckler (inspired blade) 5 / pathfinder chronicler 1 | ac 23, touch 18, flat-footed 16 | fort +5, ref +13, will +4 | hp 48/48

Spencer perches on the edge of his chair and listens intently to Bethia's explanation, jotting down a few notes in his journal. He also waits with interest for her answer to AI-eon's question about planar alignment, curious to know how often they'll be able to communicate.

Once that's settled, he chimes in with a question of his own. "Do you have a map of Ovium or the surrounding region, by any chance? Or is that just something we'll have to pick up once we get there?"

Soon the preparations are finished and they're all strapped into their chairs. Spencer clenches his eyes tightly shut and grits his teeth around the stone, trying not to think about what's about to happen. But a small part of him wonders if they might not rematerialize anywhere else, if they might just... vanish. Then the pain starts, and for a moment or possibly a century he can't wonder anything at all.

When he wakes on his back in the forest he lies still for a long minute, breathing deeply from the fresh air. Hearing his companions start to exchange comments, Spencer slowly opens his eyes and pulls himself to his feet. "Wow. Quite the interdiction." He glances around at the others. "Honestly, after that trip a tavern is sounding pretty safe right now."


Image Android AC 19/FF15/T14 | F+3 R+9 W+7 | HP 45/45 | Init+4

AI-eon offers a hand to help Spencer up but can see he does not need it.
She stands back.

"Bethia did say Spencer that an agent was set to do the groundwork for us. So we should be expected at the Taven. That same agent collected the local orientation information use."

She took out a small box way finder and looked at it, then looked down both ways of the path.

Survival 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 3 + 2 = 25 wow 1st roll of the game and its a crit nice...

"Correct me if I am wrong Spencer, but we should find the Taven just along this path in that direction."

She points down one way of the path, putting the box away as she did.

As her hand comes back it holds a dagger-like blade.

"I recommend we carry hand weapons on us, these woods may not be safe. Showing that we can defend ourselves my stop a fight before it starts"

Slipping it into her right boot so she can get at it with ease, and can be seen. the standing her full 7' she smiles at the others.

"Shall we?"


Male Dwarf|HP: 123/123|DR 3/-|AC: 25 (12 Tch, 24 Fl)||CMB: +15, CMD: 27|F: +14, R: +10, W: +12|Init: +2|Smite evil +4, +14 to damage, +4 deflection bonus to AC, 4x/day|Retribution (Su) 7x/day Paladin (Tortured Crusader)/10th/Godling (mighty)/3rd|Speed 20ft (20ft)|Lay on Hands 8/8x/day, 5d6

Arlo silently draws his dwarven waraxe and follows Al-eon, looking back from time to time for flank attacks.
Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24


male halfling swashbuckler (inspired blade) 5 / pathfinder chronicler 1 | ac 23, touch 18, flat-footed 16 | fort +5, ref +13, will +4 | hp 48/48

Spencer nervously follows their lead and draws his rapier, which looks more like a sporting foil than an actual weapon. He grips tightly to his buckler with his free hand as they set off.


F Human | Init +1 | AC 24 T19 FF22 CMD 25 (+2 grapple)| Hp 66/66 | Fort +17 Ref +14, Will +14 | Perception+11 (+2 vs evil outsiders) |

Moira watches everyone ready their weapons and smiles. She doesn't appear to be armed or armored at all. "If we're expecting a dust-up, can anyone reliably use this on me?" She holds out a wand. "Mage armor, you know. Now, a bit of conversation wouldn't be out of place either. Lets the wildlife know we're here so they avoid us. Might attract bandits, in which case we spare the locals from them. So, does anyone have a favorite spot they've found in their travels? I fell into the most serene cavern in a little corner of the First World once, might have been the only person to ever see it, from how untouched it was. Rainbow crystals, dancing ferns, sapphire dragonflies the size of your hand. Just beautiful. Spent a spell there, and I haven't been able to find it since. One day, maybe."


The woods where the group arrives is dark ominous but mostly silent. Proceeding towards the North West, as directed, the group is nervous and armed despite the quiet. Still, the area becomes lighter as the sun rises.

As you move forward, alert, suddenly from behind a bush ... a half-grown wild board leaps out into the area just ahead of you and goes squealing down path - as half the party jump three feet in the air (you can roll to hit AC 12, 12 hp to hit it if you wish). After a minute, a laugh goes up among the party members (though if you killed the boar, you'll have to bleed it and take it with you).

[Also, a feature you notice occasionally are deep rectangular pools, 7'x3' usually among thicker cusps of trees. Investigating, they're the remnant of some human-made structure but so old this is all you can determine]

Following the direction Ovium, you move from woods to fallow fields to well developed farmland. The time is mid-Summer and the human farmers are busy plowing fields. You that less half the land is being cultivated but farmers are clearly bringing new land into cultivation. Horses and oxen are pulling double steel plows. Occasionally, a dwarf or halfling can be repairing this equipment.

You get your view of Ovium after a rise going through a forest. It appears as typical city of a late medieval/early renaissance level. The city wall have fallen to ruin in a number of places and paths lead through in a number of places. You follow one of these paths to the Cup and Anchor and in the city proper also get a feeling activity, progress, much being built.

Once you arrive at the Cup and Anchor, you are greeted by Shadow, Aria and Tom, who offer you food and drink and take you into the back room (if you are carry the bore, they will take it and prepare it). It seems in the last two months, the organization has set up this tavern as well as a network of information gathers (basically six halfings they pay to lurk around the city). They foiled a strange plot to produce soul-draining Coo Coo Clocks. However, at that point, the organization was represented by Cordelia, Aranuna, Shadow and Aria. The first two have been rotated out and you six are there to replace them. The city is advancing technologically and more potential for mischief is here. You will need to set up more means of information gathering as well as investigating some things that have come to Shadow and Aria's attention.

[I will post details, options, rolls in a couple hours. You may make yourselves comfortable in the tavern until then.]

The tavern part of the Inn is a melting pot, everyone from wealth merchants to roughnecks to nearly arrived Dwarven mechanics. You discover quickly Ovium's expansion has drawn in those from other races as well as foreign humans. There's mild distrust but no great hostility towards these as the growing economy puts many in a good mood. Also, many of the merchants are human females]


Male Dwarf|HP: 123/123|DR 3/-|AC: 25 (12 Tch, 24 Fl)||CMB: +15, CMD: 27|F: +14, R: +10, W: +12|Init: +2|Smite evil +4, +14 to damage, +4 deflection bonus to AC, 4x/day|Retribution (Su) 7x/day Paladin (Tortured Crusader)/10th/Godling (mighty)/3rd|Speed 20ft (20ft)|Lay on Hands 8/8x/day, 5d6
GM Hansj wrote:
As you move forward, alert, suddenly from behind a bush ... a half-grown wild board leaps out into the area just ahead of you and goes squealing down path - as half the party jump three feet in the air (you can roll to hit AC 12, 12 hp to hit it if you wish). After a minute, a laugh goes up among the party members (though if you killed the boar, you'll have to bleed it and take it with you).

+1 Dwarven Waraxe: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31

Confirming: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25
As the wild board makes his presence known, Arlo, the ever cautious, charges the wild boar as it charges the group. The dwarf makes to the front of the group when the boar gets into melee range. With little effort, Arlo brings the dwarven weapon down upon the animal's neck, instantly ending his life. Without a word, Arlo begins to bleed the boar right there on the road, so it will be easier for transport.
GM Hansj wrote:
Following the direction Ovium, you move from woods to fallow fields to well developed farmland. The time is mid-Summer and the human farmers are busy plowing fields. You that less half the land is being cultivated but farmers are clearly bringing new land into cultivation. Horses and oxen are pulling double steel plows. Occasionally, a dwarf or halfling can be repairing this equipment.

Arlo grunts to the halflings and points to the dwarf and halfling in the fields. The dwarf warrior was sure the halflings will be just as pleased to find others of their kind here in his new world as well, with no need to hide their race.

GM Hansj wrote:
Once you arrive at the Cup and Anchor, you are greeted by Shadow, Aria and Tom, who offer you food and drink and take you into the back room (if you are carry the bore, they will take it and prepare it).

The dwarf takes the offer from the higher-up to prepare the boar. "Thank yo..", were the words that came out of Arlo's mouth, but were cut short. "Weapons. Armor. Casks", the dwarf begins saying a couple of well-used words to find to his dismay his proud dwarven accent has been removed from his Common. "Uhh! I sound terrible. This sucks."


Image Android AC 19/FF15/T14 | F+3 R+9 W+7 | HP 45/45 | Init+4

Ai-eon thought for a while as she walked.

"Where I am from. There is a place, called the cascade of lights. It's a stellar Nebular. The cloud-like remnants of a vast star that exploded billions of years before I was there. This vast cloud, note, hundreds of light-years across..."

She flicked and insect away from her face.

"had become the birthplace of hundreds of new suns. But the thing that made the cascade of lights so incredible. Is that the proto-suns where all at about the same stage of development. So you see they all bust into fusion life at the same time"

She seemed lost for a moment in remembering something.

"Light takes time to travel over interstellar space. So if you position yourself just right. You see the Nebular before the suns shone. Each with its own accretion disk, the starting place for new worlds. Hundreds of glowing orbs in the darkness of space."

she turned and smiled at the others, she walked backward and carried on.

"Then the light bubble hits you. The 1st light from Hundreds of igniting new stars washing over you. It was like a giant firework in the heavens, just incredible."

She spun back.

"I watched three times, it was part of the holiday package deal."

Then she walked on humming to herself.

When the bore ran out from the undergrowth. In an instant, she is in a combat stance, knife out, and ready. Then as Arlo felled it, and realizing its nothing. She joined the other laughing at their own jumpiness.

She noted the countryside and the town come city. This area was on the decline. War, pestilence, or just bad governance she wondered.

Getting to the Cup and Anchor, she let the others enter before her. Looking to see who may be watching the place. After which she followed the others in.

Position 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (19) + 13 = 32, wow, you wait and see soon as we hit combat its going to be 1s all the way :(


male halfling swashbuckler (inspired blade) 5 / pathfinder chronicler 1 | ac 23, touch 18, flat-footed 16 | fort +5, ref +13, will +4 | hp 48/48
Moira Monday wrote:
"If we're expecting a dust-up, can anyone reliably use this on me?" She holds out a wand. "Mage armor, you know."

Spencer studies the wand for a moment. "Sure. I'd have maybe a seven out of ten chance of getting it working, so it might take me a few tries, but just say the word." If we're in a hurry AI-eon might be a better bet since it's on her spell list.

Moira Monday wrote:
"So, does anyone have a favorite spot they've found in their travels? I fell into the most serene cavern in a little corner of the First World once, might have been the only person to ever see it, from how untouched it was. Rainbow crystals, dancing ferns, sapphire dragonflies the size of your hand. Just beautiful. Spent a spell there, and I haven't been able to find it since. One day, maybe."

"Oh, you've been to the First World? I'm jealous, it sounds amazing! I've read all about it, studied the language and everything, but I haven't had the chance to go."

He listens with fascination to AI-eon's story of nebula as well, and is about to comment when the young boar charges from the undergrowth. Spencer jumps in surprise as Arlo chops it down. As they continue on his head never stops turning, taking in the strange pools in the forest and the familiar sight of workers in the fields.

When they get to the Cup and Anchor he quickly follows Shadow, Aria, and Tom into the back room, eager to hear what they have to say.
I definitely have questions for them, but I'll wait until your next post.


Establishing Yourself.

Tom Fallon, the barman recruit who’s been working with Shadow and Aria, describes the land and gives suggestions for how you should proceed. Tom is a native but has shown considerable skill and expects to leave “Between Earth and Sky” with you.

Ovium is swirling with activity and easy to get lost in. This is why you are here rather than in Selium, the wealthy older capital of this land( known as Dagerovsel, which means, literally, “The Dukedom of Selium and Ovium). The land once was ruled by an (elected) duke but now is ruled by the Council of seven (two from Ovium and five from Selium). The land hypothetically owes allegiance to the larger Kingdom of Ardanum but with it’s growing wealth and rebuilding from a disastrous war, Dagerovsel now mostly acts as it will.
Magic is known in Ovium though few can cast even 2nd level spells. Guards are sometimes armed with wands of color spray along with their muskets. Spells of healing are unknown, however. Some of the many mechanics’ workshops about town are experimenting with combining magic and technology (the coo coo clocks came from one).
Generally keeping track of all the progress being made is hard and seeing where the enemy’s hand is, is also going to be hard. Musket quality guns may less than two decades old (tracing history is hard too as one might imagine).

“The first order of business is spreading you out as ears around the city.
While there are enough rooms in the Inn that all of you could easily stay, I recommend staying in a different location (for lowish profile). You may wish to rent a single building for mutual protection or living separately but nearby for plausibility. The main challenge is to find a role to play in fabric of the city. The wealth and industry bring new human and even other races, every day, so enterprising individual can easily make themselves anything.
Still be careful. The latest rumor is that have disappears in the area of the Hen’s Head (another inn).”

Tom draws a rough map of the city. Formal maps exist in libraries but so far printers have not produced any of the city.

[The set-yourself up options are:
* Become a lower-class man-about-town (Fortitude 14 + bluff 12)
* Become an upper class dandy ( Diplomacy 14, Bluff 14, 200 currency/week)
* Become a market trader; (Diplomacy 14 + practical craft 12)
* Become an art patron (Bluff 14 + art craft 14)
* Become day laborer (Fortitude 14)
* Become financier; loan money to mechanics shops opening up (Diplomacy 14 + knowledge engineering 14),
* Become a scribe researcher (Any knowledge 14 + diplomacy 14)
* Become a chimney sweep (Dwarf, halfling or equivalent, Bluff 14, reflex 12)
* Become a doctor (Diplomacy 10, Heal 10 if you have heal spells)
* Make up other profession (Two appropriate rolls, DC 14 each).

Feel free to embellish details about how you go about seeking your role as long as it’s roughly compatible with 17th century level culture (Google it). Assume you have about a week.

Whether you’re successful, each also roll a separate Diplomacy, Bluff or fortitude to gather information (fortitude involves getting just drunk enough). There will be things to do immediately but information rolls help determine how far you have to go.]


Male Dwarf|HP: 123/123|DR 3/-|AC: 25 (12 Tch, 24 Fl)||CMB: +15, CMD: 27|F: +14, R: +10, W: +12|Init: +2|Smite evil +4, +14 to damage, +4 deflection bonus to AC, 4x/day|Retribution (Su) 7x/day Paladin (Tortured Crusader)/10th/Godling (mighty)/3rd|Speed 20ft (20ft)|Lay on Hands 8/8x/day, 5d6

Arlo looks over the various folios describing the jobs to take around town. Many of them seem to require a silver, lying tongue; something Arlo does not have.
"Well, I could be a day laborer. A day's hard work never killed a dwarf. But maybe I could be some kind of doorman to an exclusive club (Intimidate and Sense Motive 14)? With all this new money coming into town, those who have it will be looking for a place to spend it on liquor, whores, and drugs."


male halfling swashbuckler (inspired blade) 5 / pathfinder chronicler 1 | ac 23, touch 18, flat-footed 16 | fort +5, ref +13, will +4 | hp 48/48

"Thanks for all the information — and for the map. It seems like having a sense of the political landscape here will be very helpful. I do have one more question..." Spencer frowns thoughtfully and twists a strand of hair around his finger, then his eyes widen as he sees that it has turned a pale blond. "Wh— uh, sorry. I was saying, I'm curious: do you know anything about the forest outside the city, the one we landed in? We were told it was enchanted. And I noticed some strange ruins filled with water, big enough for one of you lot to lie down in. What's that about?"

As he listens to Tom's reply, Spencer gets to work sketching out small copies of the map for each party member. He makes sure to note the location of the Hen’s Head.

If the topic turns back to living arrangements, Spencer will suggest lodging in groups of two or three to balance safety with discretion. Whatever decision they reach, he gets started on setting up his cover identity that very day.

Getting a Job:
The first step is to build a portfolio: he buys a few large sheets of parchment and draws up sample diagrams for mechanical devices, making sure to stick to technology he can see around the city in carts and water pumps. Then he starts asking around about the mechanics' shops in town, looking for one that's recently been expanding and may need new workers.

When he finds the best candidate, he simply goes up to the door and knocks. "Hello! I heard you might be hiring?" He introduces himself as an aspiring halfling scribe, recently arrived in the city to find work after finishing a drafting apprenticeship in a distant town. The manager seems interested, so Spencer pulls out his sketches.

Pursuing the role of a scribe researcher at the shop, specifically doing mechanical drafting.
Knowledge (engineering): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

Spencer manages to make an impression and is soon offered a job. Complete with a veneer of respectability and a nice little wage.
Profession (scribe): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15 earning the local equivalent of 7 gp

Of course, he has real work to do as well. He keeps his eyes and ears peeled at the shop, and takes the opportunity to drop a few casual questions to his fellow workers.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18


Image Android AC 19/FF15/T14 | F+3 R+9 W+7 | HP 45/45 | Init+4

Yes AI-eon can use the wand sorry, should you need her two.

AL-eon mulls over some ideas of how to imbed herself into the City.

"With the growth of this city and the advances in technology, I think soon someone will set up a printing press. Block as first then maybe set printing soon after. I think I will look and see if anyone is close. Then invest in that endeavor overset it and make sure it's not abused. So I intend to become a newspaper proprietor. My thinking is that this will give us both influence and also information. As well as a means to walk the halls of both power and the common street. Hire your good self's ass needed without suspicion. This plan will need us to pool a little bit of our money but I think I can make it back. And the business like the inn here, sustain itself."

A little leg work from the inn and she soon finds what she is looking for. Taking 10s on this

Become financier; [News Paper], (Diplomacy DC14 1d20 + 1d6 + 11 ⇒ (12) + (5) + 11 = 28 + knowledge Engineering DC 14) 1d20 + 1d6 + 10 ⇒ (7) + (5) + 10 = 22

GM I hope you're ok with this, it fits the 1700's nicely.

She fines two dwarf brothers who are tinkering with the ideas around printing. And with a little cash investment and scrumptious suggestions. She gets them to a point where they can do basic set typeset sheet printing. Renting them all a 4 story shop. In which she sets up OVIUM Gazeta'. A twist a week single sheet newspaper. With a daily [exstar as needed] With local news, Anancments, and articles, Jobs offers and advertisements for what is on offer. Sold for 1 silver.

The attic and top floor of the building are her apartments and office workspace. The Brothers have the floor below, and the rest is workspaces and officers for printing.


F Human | Init +1 | AC 24 T19 FF22 CMD 25 (+2 grapple)| Hp 66/66 | Fort +17 Ref +14, Will +14 | Perception+11 (+2 vs evil outsiders) |

Moira does some investigation into the seeds of industrialization, trying to find anyone looking into steam, combustion, or electrical power or anything similar. [b]"Industrialization begets scale, that's what's going to push a society forward, or take over and bleed it dry. And while the results may speak for themselves, the engineers need opportunities. The financiers will want to ensure that their investments will pay dividends. My friends, I'm going into sales."

I'm thinking Diplomacy and Perform:Oratory, but Kn:Engineering would make some sense too.


AL-eon wrote:
Renting them all a 4 story shop. In which she sets up OVIUM Gazeta'. A twist a week single sheet newspaper.

AL-eon mulls successfully founds the OVIUM Gazeta. There are two other small papers in the town but AL-eon's confidence and erudition captures the imagination of the public and the paper is off to a fine start, Gradsky, the owner of the Gazeta's building is willing to give a month's rent on credit but expects 2000 LC (local currency) at the end of the month. There are significant other expenses also but with sales initially booming, the future looks bright for now (movable type exists but as a new technology is going to be a significant part of the expenses).

Just a much the Gazeta's offices are often crowd with citizens hope to peddle bits of information and the challenge is distinguishing the true from the false or the embellished and having the wisdom to avoid publishing the secrets of those powerful enough to create trouble for the Gazeta.

The Gazeta has room for up to three PC reporters, as long as they have 8 or more ranks in a least on knowledge skill (or profession scribes or similar).


Moira wrote:
Moira does some investigation into the seeds of industrialization, trying to find anyone looking into steam, combustion, or electrical power or anything similar.

Your research has to involve speaking to the various shops that are using or producing these technologies. The masters are alternately curious and suspicious, curious about your understanding and suspicious about both your motives and whether you will give secrets to a rival.

Roll diplomacy and knowledge engineering. With a diplomacy above 14, the third master you talk to, Muelller, offers you a job as in-house researcher (sales if you wish but Mueller very much wants a general researcher). Indeed, he demands you accept the position in no uncertain terms. Mueller has the second largest shop in town and hydraulic equipment to the city to control sea-gates and such.


Image Android AC 19/FF15/T14 | F+3 R+9 W+7 | HP 45/45 | Init+4

Ounce the OVIUM Gazeta is underway she asks
Moira if he would be happy to do a side project.
A Weekly 4-shoot OVIUM Magazine for the wealthy and powerful.
With Fashion, housekeeping, cooking, and Noble/wealthy announcements.
Interviews from the cites are great and good.
Selling at 2 gold, it's pitched to the high end.
And runs counter stories to the ones in the scurrilous OVIUM Gazeta.

:)

She will ask Spencer to aid with design and artwork for this.

Also as there is space she will offer Moira and office from which to work out of and rooms on the two floors for logging.

She will also promote the Inn as a good place to eat and drink.


Moira, Arlo and everyone

Never ASK if you use a skill, just roll it and see what happens,
JUST DO IT

The worst that can happen is I say to try a different skill. Just as much, the choice between two applicable skills is part of the challenge of describing how you do a task - you're deciding roughly how you do things, impressing people with knowledge or flattering them or whatever.

In this case, all the rolls you mention would be fine.

And also think in terms of moving the game forward.

(you folks are doing great, I'm not mad, just want to get everyone thinking in terms of speeding game and feeling confident advancing your narrative. )


Blue Cryptic (Distorter) 6 | HP: 39/39 | AC: 20 FF: 15 Touch: 14 | Fort: +4 Ref: +10 Will: +8 | Perception: +18 (+21 to detect traps) | PP: 27/32 | Altered Defense: 10/10 | Active Type: Humanoid

"I'll see if I can't make a go of it as a chimney sweep. Low prestige workers often go unseen in places where the powerful do their business. It should give me the cover to be in the right places to overhear useful things."

Saying this the Patient lurker concentrates and his form shimmers a bit as it changes to look more or less like a somewhat sooty, non-descript halfling.

Disguise using Altered Appearance: 1d20 + 9 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 9 + 10 = 23

Glancing down at his form and satisfied with the disguise for now, the "halfling" gives the rest of the group a cheerful nod. "You can call me Teddy Blackfoot. I'm off to find a contractor that needs to hire a sweep. I'll be in touch!"

Ted then heads out to establish himself as a chimney sweep in the city, using a combination of bravado and a display of his dexterity to secure a job.

Bluff DC 14: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18
Reflex DC 12: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

Well, I guess I have to get the low rolls sometime. The bravado is there, but I'm not sure I didn't fall down the first chimney I tried to sweep.


Male Dwarf|HP: 123/123|DR 3/-|AC: 25 (12 Tch, 24 Fl)||CMB: +15, CMD: 27|F: +14, R: +10, W: +12|Init: +2|Smite evil +4, +14 to damage, +4 deflection bonus to AC, 4x/day|Retribution (Su) 7x/day Paladin (Tortured Crusader)/10th/Godling (mighty)/3rd|Speed 20ft (20ft)|Lay on Hands 8/8x/day, 5d6

Intimidate: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (16) + 14 = 30
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24
Tom nods at the dwarf. "I think I know a place that need a front doorman. A little bit of a dive, not not too much that the new wealthy don't frequent."


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

Sitting in her office she can hear the printing press going.
They had to lock the main door to sup gossip sellers of all kinds walking in at all hours.

She was going over the day's notes pinned to a large board.
It was laid out like the page of the newspaper.

She pulled a note off. A find gents secret husband had runoff and was paying to find where he had gone. She moved it to the needs looking into Collom There was a big wedding coming up next month and most of the inns where already been booked up. Humm Prices would rise. She added a note on that to the May be worth it Collom. She zeroed in on the crime column. She picked off note that must have been added by her secretary at some point today.

Someone had paid some ruffs to collect and evict a family or 12. In doing this they had injured the mother, two adults, and killed the grandfather. What was shocking was the fact he was thrown out of an open window, landed onto his head, Dashing the mans brains.

She knew the place, "The throws" as it was commonly known, because if they did not like the looks of you. They throw the contents of that night's chamber pots over you from above. But she felt its real meaning was that all the unwanted souls of the city were thrown there. A number of local criminal where out of there. Its not cheap to pay a gang of ruff to collect and evict, but more when you have to pay off the local gangs just to get there. No there was more to this than just a nad landlord.

She went over to the desk and opened a notebook.
Her death book, made from local churches and temples records, the ones she could get at. Some gossip and a few coins to the city watch. It lost just about all the known and even some unknown deaths in the city. She placed her finger on a page.

Yes, a cluster of deaths leading up to today.

Checking back she found the harmed family name. A 15-year-old youth killed, stabbing over betting debt. The Killed was being held in Blackstone prison just outside of town. Recently expanded at some cost, and now very impressive Prison. She went the pile of back newspapers and found one form 2 weeks ago. She scanned it, she know what she was looking for. Yes there. Tulbrin Brightly a Tifling of no fixed abode or work as the killer. She then cross-checked Brightly in her book of deaths. The name was fresh in it. One week ago three of the Brightly family were killed in a disused building fire.

Well well well. A gang war.

She sat down and started to write out the front page for tomorrow.

DEATH IN THE STREETS...

She worked into the morning hours.


F Human | Init +1 | AC 24 T19 FF22 CMD 25 (+2 grapple)| Hp 66/66 | Fort +17 Ref +14, Will +14 | Perception+11 (+2 vs evil outsiders) |

Spencer was going for researcher, I didnt want to step on his toes, hairy as they may be.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (17) + 14 = 31
Kn:Engineering: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

"Mueller, you can hire me on as a researcher if you'd like, but you and I both know that keeping me tucked away in your workshop isn't the best use of my talents. I do know a man who would be perfect for the position, he's got a real head for numbers. I know enough about mechanics to speak knowledgeably about it, but I'd prefer to leave the real work to the experts. My time is valuable, it needs to be well spent, and I'll make more of a difference expanding your influence. You have some impressive contracts already, hard work and ability has gotten you to number two, but we can make this workshop top-of-the-class. Having the right friends will get you to number one." She leans back in her seat and regards Mueller. "I would be happy to stake my position, but I expect a return on my investment-an increase to my commission rate. Now, care to show me to your blueprints?"

Moira gets to work preparing her sales pitch. This position gives her a perfect cover to openly schmooze and dig into opportunities for tech advancement without all the skulking about.
Perform:Oratory: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18

-----
With regard to the Ovium Gazeta
"Lady Lyra, is it? Oh but you do know I need to keep myself busy, and this sounds like a delightful diversion. I recently met the Guard Captain's niece Esther and her birthday extravaganza is next week. Perhaps a featured interview is in order."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (2) + 14 = 16


Female Halfling Paladin (Virtuous Bravo) 6 | AC 24 - Touch 17 - Flatfooted 18 | Fort +13, Reflex +13, Will +11 | HP 45/45 | Init +7

Briallen listened to her companions in the woods as they told of the places they'd seen. Briallen, for her part, kept her words short:

"Sigil itself might be the most wondrous place I've seen," she said after a time. "Never in my life did I imagine that so many peoples from such disparate lands and ways of life could coexist, even creatures that would elsewise be sworn enemies. It isn't peace, of course, but it is... strange. It is a marvel, at the least.

"But I dream, too, of the jungles of Xen'drik in my homeland, of the vast and unblemished wilderness... I am more comfortable in the city, but there is beauty in the wilds, I believe."

-------

While the others were taking up their jobs, Briallen pursued a path of her own. She actually tried to secure a job working as a servant for nobles rather than as a courtier, knowing well that such a position could give her news both about the nobility and about other happenings from their servants...

Rolling up Knowledge: Nobility and Diplomacy!

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (17) + 15 = 32
Knowledge: Nobility: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19[/ooc]


Blue Cryptic (Distorter) 6 | HP: 39/39 | AC: 20 FF: 15 Touch: 14 | Fort: +4 Ref: +10 Will: +8 | Perception: +18 (+21 to detect traps) | PP: 27/32 | Altered Defense: 10/10 | Active Type: Humanoid

I've finished putting together my character, and it turns out that I bought a cloak of resistance +1, so that reflex save would have been a 12 instead of 11.

While showing his basic competence at climbing through the inside of chimney to prospective employers "Teddy" just barely manages not to slip and fall into an empty fireplace below him. With a sheepish grin he turns to the contractor, "So what do you think, can I start today? Those chimneys won't clean themselves and I'm ready to work."


Caveats on set-up:

Mueller accedes to Moira’s request to go into sales, though he is wistful, hoping to expand from hydraulics to other approaches he hasn’t managed to make work. He says he has a plan for a new type of ship and he’d like to sell the idea to one of the local ship builders (there are three large builders and a scattering of smaller ones).

Arlo has become doorman and bouncer at the Gamora dance club. Open Thursday, Hagsday and Boxday, days before and after the true weekend, it mainly is oriented to (human, some elven) women who pay for entrance and then are paid by men for dances or other favors. Arlo is there to make those already told to leave don’t return – but to make it look respectable and not humiliating. The wealthy are the worst of them.

Briallen has secured a position with Motherias Althuenant. It involves delivering letters around the city and aranging Motherias’ apartment.

The Teddy Blackfoot has access to quite few households in Ovium. With all this expansion, chimney sweeps are at a premium and one can pick one’s customers. A few untended chimney’s have exploded lately and that increases the demand. Knowing other sweeps is a distinct advantage as you discover the sweeps actually auction off the information they acquire. It’s mostly layout of houses but info can be purchased. The guild is interested in cutting Teddy in on the trade.

Lady Lyra Anna’s publication goes along merrily and there are more enough lurid stories in the town to fill her pages. One thing she notes is an interesting group. A human man(?), A tiefling(?) female and a child or dwarf or gnome?. You are not sure be appear frequently but always cleverly find your least experienced, more credulous reporters. They tell lurid stories of the death of young scoundrels or ladies of night, by one or another forms of misadventure. The stories make great copy and go into successive issues of the publication.
The problem is that by a bit of indirect detective work, you discover; no one else knows of these lurid events – at least not until they read about them. No evidence of the events can be found but these various individuals have indeed vanished – generally somewhere near the Hen’s Head, around the North-Eastern wall (an area of the wall that still stands).


Potential Capers coming up

A. There is definitely a snatch group or something operating in a building near the Hen’s Head. They’re arranging disappearances and going to lengths to cover them up. Not in the Inn itself but in shack nearby. The shack must have underground entrance (knowledge local, stealth). One problem is you go charging in, you may easily be revealed to whoever is behind this.
[difficulty 3, stealth, strength check, perception]
[Charge in, stealth in, bluff the three agents]

B. Someone has been digging up caskets from the Anachrion Graveyard (from older society - maybe 500 years or more old). It seems to happen on Wednesdays. Some of Teddy Blackfoot’s buddies have actually hired on to the gig at times and they say hooded, hidden figures direct them to carry to the old casket to an area of wood not far from where the party entered the plane. The hooded figure leave strange lumps of gold in payment. [difficulty 3, Survival, stealth, knowledge arcana]

C. A couple of villagers (a man and a woman) from a small village to the north of Ovium come into the office of the Gazeta. They tell the story of a beast that came to their village a couple weeks ago. It was strange and misshapen, like a very large sloth or possum but scratched at villagers doors, offering gold and favors if they accompanied into the woods. It no longer comes to people doors but they believe some other villages may have made a pact with it. [survival, knowledge nature, knowledge history]

D. Motherias Althuenant mentions to Briallen that A Ship is sitting in the harbor, not unloading, while the owner goes about town, quietly making inquiries and sometimes just sitting and drinking expensive brandy and looking about furtively. [difficulty 5, diplomacy, knowledge local, knowledge arcana]
This one you probably want to gather more info on first.

See Still draft caper rules

Basically, one player can describe a plan for the entire party to begin in general dealing with a caper – (A,B, C, D). At least two other players add to the plan, roll. Then I post, setting you up at how far the plan has gone and you fight/talk/crawl your way further. Questions, post on discord or the discussion forum.

You can also describe methods of gathering information more first. But there's only so far you can get just gather information (no more than two plays get info on any one caper).

Ask questions, we're just starting with this, so questions are good. Use discord so we can go back and forth quick, if you can. Otherwise the discussion page.


Also, the party comes up with this list, talking to Shadow and Aria in a secret basement room at the Cup and Anchor. The list is written on a slate board with chalk, each character memorizes and then it is eased. Around that time, Bethia mentally contacts each of you and you may be give a short report - or simply say things are going well.

Your lives continue but now there is business at hand.


Female Halfling Paladin (Virtuous Bravo) 6 | AC 24 - Touch 17 - Flatfooted 18 | Fort +13, Reflex +13, Will +11 | HP 45/45 | Init +7

Working for Mr. Althuenant wasn't exactly the stuff of heroic adventures, Briallen could say that much.

The young halfling had gotten the job easily enough. Quick wit and charm and an understanding of how to behave around nobles (with a little advice from Aria and Shadow about local quirks) proved more than enough to secure that. It wasn't very encouraging, however, when on the first day that Briallen began her work she heard from the cook that Motherias cycled through servants because he was in an unhappy marriage, was friendly to his servant girls, and had a wife whose trust in him was non-existent.

Still, Briallen thankfully didn't spend very much time around the building when Mrs. Althuenant was about. She did work a little in the estate, cleaning and making things tidy, and having small talk with Motherias and the other staff. She mostly served as an envoy, delivering letters, ranging from party invitations to scholarly debate to business inquiries. She also found herself delivering letters to a very specific household, one which she suspected housed a paramour of her employer...

And when Briallen did find herself at the apartment, she found Mr. Althuenant was a very polite and gentle man. His wife painted him as some sort of lecher, but he was a devoted fellow, even if his devotions were most likely placed in a different noblewoman. But he was an intelligent and curious fellow, if a naive one, who enjoyed small talk. He shared a little news here and there, and sometimes he asked questions, but the fellow answered far, far more.

Nevertheless, the paladin's position was important for a few reasons:

First, it allowed her freedom of movement, the ability to travel the city while still being employed.

Second, it made her face better known to the servants of the noble households she visited.

Thirdly, she actually had her ear to a fair bit more news than perhaps she should have been.

Most of what Briallen heard was simple gossip, and not all of it concerned the Althuenant estate. People simply felt at ease around Briallen, so it seemed. She was a very honest sort, had an aura that made people feel safe... so of course things were said. And who could deny a harmless, curious question here or there?

Briallen was satisfied with her position. No, it wasn't glamorous. No, it wasn't the stuff that heroic tales were made of. But if this was the method by which she would find answers, then by the Flame she would find them.

-----------------------------------

When it was time to give reports, Briallen stepped up to the board and jotted a quick couple of notes, then began speaking in a crisp, clear tone. She paced a little and gesticulated emphatically with her words, looking from one team member to another.

"I have attached myself to one nobleman of middling influence but a fair bit of wealth," she started, underlining the man's name as she did. "His name is Motherias Althuenant. In acting as his courier and housekeeper, I've earned his trust, as well as that of his cook, his butler, and other servants under other nobles in the town. I am working on inserting myself further into the daily affairs of the nobles, and already I have reaped some reward.

"Motherias tells me there is a ship sitting in the harbor which sells no wares and never leaves the pier. Its captain goes from place to place, asking questions, some mundane and others quite curious. Other times he merely sits and drinks in peace at some tavern or another..."

Briallen frowned as she finished that list bit, chewed on her words, and said: "I wonder if, perhaps, the Dark Traders might have a few folk assigned as we are to this town, simply gathering information and waiting for news. This man could well be such a fellow. But if we are to act, we should first know more, confirm or deny what we already know. Frankly, we do not have enough information to use resources on this matter... yet."

-----------------------------------

The capers look interesting! I think 'B' is most likely to be fruitful, though 'D' is also very strange and the high difficulty rating intrigues me. However, we probably SHOULD get more information on 'D' before we pursue it; our GM has outright told us so!

As such, I vote for B. I believe a simple plan would be to start arranging watches on Wednesday to try and find whoever is doing the digging, then track them down using Survival. After which we use Stealth to tail them and have the nerds use Knowledge: Arcana to identify whatever weirdness they're doing.

Basically, if we choose 'B,' I think we should treat this as a Sneak mission, and should try to observe. If it turns out we need to intervene, we rush in as we must!

My current big question is: how much of our plan discussions should be OOC, and how much should be IC?


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15
Moira Monday wrote:


With regard to the Ovium Gazeta
"Lady Lyra, is it? Oh but you do know I need to keep myself busy, and this sounds like a delightful diversion. I recently met the Guard Captain's niece Esther and her birthday extravaganza is next week. Perhaps a featured interview is in order."

She offers some more tea.

[dice=Diplomacy]1d20+14

"Yes I felt the name would fit well, widow of a lesser noble and fending for herself. Moira, I am thinking we need a gossip column in the Magazina. Would you be willing? Under a pen name of course. And Esther's birthday extravaganza sounds like a great means to start. It's her coming out party so also if you could.. keep an eye out for possible coupling. What do you think? Be a good means to see the great and the good. Catch up with Briallen, she's working some angle into the nobility as well. O and Lurker, you would be amazed at what he can find out about the well todos."

In the Bat-Cave

Al-eon nods at Briallens's works.

"Maybe I can add some meat to these."

She opens a notebook and takes out a number of folders.
Starting with the 1st.

An active snatch group.

"There is definitely a snatch group or something operating in a building near and Inn called the Hen’s Head. They’re arranging disappearances with some intent and going to lengths to cover them up. By means of feeding false information to my newspaper."

She places a number of notes under the heading.
Location and persons of interest, individuals took.

A human man(?),
A tiefling(?)
Female
a child
a dwarf
a gnome?.

"It could be one person or a number, they appear frequently but always cleverly find my least experienced, more credulous reporters. As yet I can't find a common link with those taken, this could do with being looked into. Has only one heard anything about this and the Hen’s Head?"

She writes a new heading.

MISSING DEAD
"A number of caskets have been found laying around Anachrion Graveyard. The rumor is the dead have come back to life. Does anyone know any more about this?"

Then under Briallens's heading
DARK SHIP
She adds come notes.
"My reporters picked this one up as well.
The owner calls himself, Markus Kell, and
spends his drinking time mostly in a dockside Taven
Called the The Throaty Mermaid, has anyone been there?"

She takes a seat once more.


male halfling swashbuckler (inspired blade) 5 / pathfinder chronicler 1 | ac 23, touch 18, flat-footed 16 | fort +5, ref +13, will +4 | hp 48/48

GM, I still haven't heard a response to my setup post, any news? Is it Mueller who'd hire me, or someone else?

Between his work drafting blueprints at the mechanic's shop and writing for the newspaper, Spencer's first week goes by in a blur. He quickly immerses himself in the emerging technologies of the city, learning everything he there is to know. But he's pulled back into the world of espionage when he goes down to the harbor a few days in a row to inspect a prototype at the docks, and he sees a ship that seems strangely untouched.

He relates the story to the rest of the group when the topic comes up at their next meeting.

"Haven't seen the owner, but I've seen the ship. Seemed a bit suspicious to me also. And a few of it's load-bearing planks are starting to buckle, pretty soon it could be taking on water — I left my card and a note offering a discount on repairs. If the owner takes me up on it, that could provide a nice opening to learn more about what's on board."


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

AI-eon askes

"Did she look standard to you? for that kind of stress, she must be loaded down with something important. Do you think ore of some kind? or we were told of a weapon that may be under development form the other side. It could be components. We would need to have someone just take a look, see what's in it."


A couple of days after the party meets with Shadow and prepares their list, Mueller comes to Moira and mentions that he has heard that the merchant in mystery ship in the harbor is going to go by himself to drop off the ship's goods that night (in only a few hours) with a group of known criminal traders who have contracted a group of bravos to transport the cargo to Cargo Hill, a ways North of Ovium. Cargo Hill is weathered basalt hill riddled with caves, area with a reputation as a drop-off point for smugglers since finding things hidden there is difficult.

Moira seeks out Shadow and he sends messages to the entire party stating that action is urgent.

[Any character can sketch a plan here, just outlining the course of action try to "interrupt the meet" or "head off the cargo" or "head off the mysterious trader beforehand with a distraction" then roll bluff, combat-manuever(to break down the door and surprise), stealth (to follow the bravo) or another plan of your choosing with appropriate roll]
Once one character outlines a plan, two or more add extra narrative/ideas and add their roll, then I give the outcome - combat, tense discussion, searching for stuff.

Note also, Aria (your contact along with Shadow) is mereperson (secretly) and can operate underwater in the harbor if people wish to use her.


male halfling swashbuckler (inspired blade) 5 / pathfinder chronicler 1 | ac 23, touch 18, flat-footed 16 | fort +5, ref +13, will +4 | hp 48/48
Lady Lyra Anna Fitzroy wrote:
"Did she look standard to you? for that kind of stress, she must be loaded down with something important. Do you think ore of some kind? or we were told of a weapon that may be under development form the other side. It could be components. We would need to have someone just take a look, see what's in it."

"Could be anything, that sort of damage isn't really caused by the weight of the cargo. What it does suggest is that there's some reason it's not getting repaired — maybe the owner doesn't want anyone looking too closely at what's in there."

GM Hansj wrote:
Moira seeks out Shadow and he sends messages to the entire party stating that action is urgent.

"If we just try to disrupt the drop-off, odds are they'll only reschedule it and we'll lose the trail. I know I'm kinda new at this, but I'd say we've got to let it play out and follow them if we want to find out what they're up to. I think I can pull it off without being spotted, big people usually don't notice me."

Spencer spends the last hour before sunset earnestly practicing silent movements in his room, determined not to mess up his first true mission in the field. Using his sleeves of many garments to mimic a belled catsuit to train with, taking 10. Then switching back to clothes more suitable for spying.

Finally, under the cover of darkness, he gets in position to follow the bravos when they appear. He encourages the other stealthy party members to join him.

Stealth: 1d20 + 14 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 14 + 2 + 2 = 31


[ Cool, so you just need a couple support rolls and hopefully some details and you find out what happens. Maybe you burst in the middle of negotiations and seize the stuff (strength or combat manuever)? Maybe you follow the stuff into the hills (survival or an other stealth)]


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

"Spencer I will come with you as tactical support, I'm will not get close, they will spot me. But if this should go sidewise I can run interference."

^Stealth* 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (10) + 13 = 23
^Perspetion 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (3) + 13 = 16

She goes with Spencer finding a spot close to observe him as he goes in, and settles down to wait.


Spencer and Lady Anna arrive near the meeting location just at dusk (about 8 pm equivalent in summer). That night, a Tuesday, happens to be moonless and the lights that usually burn in the port look-out towers cannot be seen.

The meeting location is an apparently empty warehouse two blocks from the port and a block from the courts.

They spend ten minutes or setting up their hideout spots. After another short time, six hulking longshore workers appear from a side street and walk directly up to the building. The first one up knocks softly, waits a bit, knocks louder, then tries the door, which is seems to unlocked. he then walks in with his buddies, only making the slightest effort at stealth. After a thirty seconds, Spencer hears a click and can see a light through a crack in the wall (from this point he's able to observe the insight action through this crack). One of the bravos has lit one of the new fangled portable lamps that are just appearing in shops. One Bravo says, rather loudly "Eh 'could use a beer right now" and another softly punches him to be quiet" The bravos whisper to each "are ya' sure this is the place?" and "

After another ten minutes, the sun having complete, two figures come gliding through the dark, barely noticeable until they softly open the door and step in. The bravos jump when they appear. One of them says softly, "ah good you've come" as he pulls back his hood. In the dim light, Spencer can notice a small face, a carefully cropped goatee. Then the figure gesture for silence and for the lights to go out.

Finally, after another time, a figure with something behind it comes into view. Markus Kell accompanied but a strange, bulky shape floating three feet in the air, comes walking slowly to the door.

[Other character may narrate themselves in, or even use flash-backs to put themselves already in the empty warehouse. ]


Blue Cryptic (Distorter) 6 | HP: 39/39 | AC: 20 FF: 15 Touch: 14 | Fort: +4 Ref: +10 Will: +8 | Perception: +18 (+21 to detect traps) | PP: 27/32 | Altered Defense: 10/10 | Active Type: Humanoid

Previously ...

Teddy Blackfoot makes himself at home with the guild of chimney sweeps. He makes sure to trade information he gathers at reasonable prices, and makes sure that those in the know are aware that he'll trade for a wide variety of information. He always passes on true information to the other chimney sweeps, and never publicly calls out false information, though he notes it and over time classifies the various sources by reliability.

On the job the halfling is cheerful and meticulous. He makes sure that the jobs are done well and that his clientele have no reason to spread anything other than good reviews about him. Before starting any job he'll use Empathy (spending 2 PP to have it last 6 hours,) to keep tabs on surface emotions of those he works for. If there are strong or strange emotions that don't have an obvious source he might investigate if given the chance, but mostly keeps track of it for later.

Off the job, Teddy makes sure to be seen in the evening in the company of other halfling sweeps, exchanging information and generally having a good time at local taverns. He maintains the appearance of a young bachelor enjoying the fruits that his labor would allow him.

This takes most of the Patient Lurker's days, and roughly 3 evenings a week. Other evenings look entirely different.

Upon hearing of the strange owner of a mystery ship in the harbor, the Patient Lurker spends a few night prowling the area around the docks, hitting the taverns, finding the gambling halls and the like as a freelance gnome shipwright, Zarzuket, willing to get into the spaces of a ship and make repairs that would be inconvenient for the humans in the crew to get to.

Disguise for Zarzuket Cover using Altered Appearance: 1d20 + 9 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 9 + 10 = 28
Bluff to convince those around that Zarzuket is a shipwright: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21

Once he has his second cover suitable established, Zarzuket will occasionally seek out the owner of the mystery vessel, spending an evening in the same bar, using Empathy to monitor his emotional state, and try to figure out what he might be up to without engaging him directly.

Perception to overhear any conversations the owner might have: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (2) + 18 = 20
Sense Motive to make sense of any strong emotions or conversations: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 13 + 2 = 34

Zarzuket never acts immediately with any information he might gain, and leaves each evening at a time independent of the owner's own actions. This surveillance goes on until the situation changes and the agents learn that some sort of cargo is about to be transferred.


Blue Cryptic (Distorter) 6 | HP: 39/39 | AC: 20 FF: 15 Touch: 14 | Fort: +4 Ref: +10 Will: +8 | Perception: +18 (+21 to detect traps) | PP: 27/32 | Altered Defense: 10/10 | Active Type: Humanoid

That Tuesday evening ...
The evening that the cargo transfer is supposed to happen the Patient Lurker makes sure that Teddy and Zarzuket aren't expected anywhere and instead meets with the other agents to plan the surveillance. Hearing Spencer's initial plan, the strange, quiet goblin nods at the general idea.

"I agree. Following to gain information is the best plan. If we split up and follow from different positions then we're more likely to successfully tail them even if one of us is spotted. "

Taking the form of an unnamed halfling the Patient Lurker seeks out a good spot to watch the warehouse and anyone who enters of exits.

Stealth: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (8) + 23 = 31
Perception to spot anyone coming near: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (9) + 18 = 27

When the bravos enter the warehouse, the unremarkable halfling takes the opportunity to try to slip in unnoticed after them and find a spot in a corner to remain hidden.

Stealth (using Fast Stealth to move at full speed) to sneak into the warehouse: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (14) + 23 = 37

Once there he watches the oblivious bravos until the much more disciplined figures arrive. When they do the halfling watches with fascination as the hood is lifted, trying to determine what he can of the face revealed beneath.

Perception to recognize anything interesting or unusual about the hooded figure: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (16) + 18 = 34
Knowledge (appropriate) to make use of anything noticed by the perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14
My knowledge skills are at +10 (or higher for a couple).

When the lights go out, the Patient Lurker isn't bothered overly as his dark vision still allows him to see most of the details of the group in front of him. The arrival of Markus Kell is something of interest though, and the Patient Lurker stares curiously at the floating floating shape hovers behind him. Now that's certainly a technology or magic that isn't common around these parts. Resisting the urge to use Detect Psionics on the spot (as the resulting light show would surely reveal his location,) the Patient Lurker does what he does best, patiently lurking for a bit longer to see where the exchange might go.


So, along with the other reports from Shadow, the report of the ship comes in on Saturday. Working cleverly, Zarzuket is able to ingratiate himself with Markus Kell over a course of two evenings. By a strange coincidence, Kell is very fond of gnomes and winds-ups singing songs from Barzant, Kell's homeland with "Ole Karz", the first two evening. On those evening, however Kell is very elliptical about his journey and his aims in town, only saying that his contact has not shown up and he's worried about unloading.

But on the third evening, Kell confesses that his contact has now sent a message and will be meeting him the next night in a empty warehouse building. Further Kell confesses that cargo is a strange set of stone caskets taken from an ancient tomb in Barzant. Kells further confesses that he was a ruined man at the point that order came in, in Barzant, for the caskets and that he only fulfilled it out of desperation and out of fear of whoever sent the order. He even imagines that once he delivers the goods, he might be killed and that once he leaves his ship, he will give orders for the crew to leave in a hour, with him or not (he will be using magic, a "floating disk" to transport the heavy caskets and a cloth to conceal them). he wonders aloud if his new gnome friend might know people who could watch the warehouse while the deal is happening.

This information is gotten Monday evening (The trade is set to happen Tuesday).


Considering Kell's story, it seems plausible ... except Kells likely is in this deeper than he let's on. Why was he contacted? What else does he know about the caskets? But he seems genuinely worried, like he's gotten himself into the situation too deeply and protests his innocence in response.


Blue Cryptic (Distorter) 6 | HP: 39/39 | AC: 20 FF: 15 Touch: 14 | Fort: +4 Ref: +10 Will: +8 | Perception: +18 (+21 to detect traps) | PP: 27/32 | Altered Defense: 10/10 | Active Type: Humanoid

The Zarauket listens to Markus's story with interest, and offers his sympathy, along with a vague offer to see if he can help find someone to keep an eye on him. "If you needed me to take a look at a weakness in your ship I'd be more than happy to help, but skulking around warehouses to watch for people who could get you killed isn't exactly my line of work, sorry. I might know a few blokes down by the docks who could keep a watchful eye and step in if you need it though. I'll see what I can do."

Back, before they head out on the surveillance mission the Patient Lurker passes the information on to the others. "If we end up revealing ourselves to Markus Kell we can let him know that Zarzuket asked us to keep an eye on him as a favor, maybe implying that some payment was offered should we do so. Should he survive this Mr. Kell might be someone we could use for more information in the future, so he might be worth intervening for. It's hard to tell with this limited information, but I hate to let a potential asset slip away from us."


Male Dwarf|HP: 123/123|DR 3/-|AC: 25 (12 Tch, 24 Fl)||CMB: +15, CMD: 27|F: +14, R: +10, W: +12|Init: +2|Smite evil +4, +14 to damage, +4 deflection bonus to AC, 4x/day|Retribution (Su) 7x/day Paladin (Tortured Crusader)/10th/Godling (mighty)/3rd|Speed 20ft (20ft)|Lay on Hands 8/8x/day, 5d6

In the short time Arlo has been employed at the Gamora Club, the dwarf has made himself known as a no-nonsense doorman, whom even the idle wealthy can't intimidate. Several nights, the dancers who live in rough parts of town has requested Arlo to escort them home. The dwarf only had to deal with a few instances of ardent fans trying to convince the dancers for a 'private show' on their way home, but a few axehandles to the gut often cause the admirers to go home alone.
Communicating with his cell, Arlo met at the appointed time in the empty warehouse.


Image Android AC 19/FF15/T14 | F+3 R+9 W+7 | HP 45/45 | Init+4

If anyone looks at the accident information bord. They find that AI-eon has pinned a news incident to it, with a note.

Strange goings-on in "Mildlwart"
Sources have informed the Gazeta that in the local village of "Mildlwart" strange things have been going on. `A beast has been coming to the village over the last couple of weeks. Strange and misshapen, like a very large sloth or possum. It's scratching at villagers' doors, that foolish enough to their doors are tempted with offers of gold and favors if they accompanied the strange best into the woods. It was last seen days ago, It no longer comes to people's doors but some believe villages may have made a pact with the strange beast of "Mildlwart.

A note under it says

"I pulled it before we ran it, there may be something in this?" came form two "Mildlwart" villages, Merry and Alfred coots.


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

She lay there on the roof, her spot overlooking the entrance to the warehouse. In her hands was her once Rail-Gun now a kind of Revolver Rifle. Such was the power of the device that had gotten them here. Where once there was a multi-shot power pack, there was now a cylinder. Holding a small number of chemical propellant changes and led in small metal cases. She had tested it, and its range was close much reduced. Well, it still had a scope but done what the high image range with electronic assists that could feed directly to her cortex. This one was a mechanical optical and you had to look into it to use. But all that meant was here it fitted in. And was usable, so much of her stuff was just dead, the rest changed. Even her looks, she looked more human, you had to look hard to see the fine differences from a true human. Again the device.

She looked down the scope, the doors, the other buildings, few about really. Arrr now then here came our festive captain. Patient said this was the place and it seems it is. Arlo, should be here, she looked for him but could not see where he was. And Patient, he was meant to be slipping in after the group here. She could not see him as well, well that was a good thing if she could there was a problem.

She zeroed in on the group heading into the warehouse. Assessing what weapons they had or other things of interest.

After that she waited. She was hoping this would go down cleanly. But if not...

She checked her weapon once more.


F Human | Init +1 | AC 24 T19 FF22 CMD 25 (+2 grapple)| Hp 66/66 | Fort +17 Ref +14, Will +14 | Perception+11 (+2 vs evil outsiders) |

Moira is very surprised when Mueller comes to her with information about the boat dropoff, but she rolls with the information. "Mueller, this clearly isn't idle office chatter, what's your angle? I take it you want a representative there to make sure the deal happens. If you wanted it squashed, you could have gone to the city guard. Give me the details, your contact, and I'll attend. I didn't have plans tonight anyway."

Hours later, Moira hustles through the dark city, softly cursing her timing as she trails after the bravos who got tired of waiting for her and left to make the meeting on time. She slips in and tries to allay their suspicion, telling enough of the truth to satisfy those gathered without revealing her true goals...

diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (13) + 14 = 27
bluff: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19

"Gentlemen, Mueller sent me as his representative. Apologies for my late arrival, but I don't believe I was followed. Are we ready to begin?"

1 to 50 of 4,549 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Arrival at the city of Ovium (Chapter 1) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.