A Tiny Part Of The Dimension Wars (Interdimensional Spy Follies

Game Master GM Hansj

You: hardened, experienced agents of an ad-hoc group of wizards, priests and occultist, known only as "The Organization". You act to stop plane-destroying effects such as those unleashed by the mysterious and sinister Dark Traders.

Current Location: Journeying from Gamjee Town to the area inhabited by the mysterious Cucurai. Towards end of the third days in, but having made good time, at the Crystal Forest.

Leander's way points:
1) A lookout in hill, showing a wide area, 2 days along
2) The Crystal Forrest, 4 days along
3) Oil Flats, 5 days along
4) A matrix of caves, 8 days along
5) Mornette Flowers, 11 days along
6) Valley of Mists 13 days along
7) The Cucurai's home, 14 days along

Final Goal:
Discover the relation between the Cucurai and a mysterious book describing the Dark Traders' "seeding" of various planes.


301 to 350 of 4,829 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

Male Gnome Ranger 9 (AC: 24[T: 12 FF: 23] CMD 21 | HP: 75/94(0NL) | F+9*, R+7*, W+5* | Init: +1 (+2 Urban) |Perc: +14*)

Clearly unhappy to be doing so, Paritosh puts the flame out on the cigar, but commences chewing on it, instead of putting it away completely. ”You know that’s a myth right? It may bring a burn to the lungs when You’re just starting, but long term the effects are rejuvenating and keep you young. Why, my great great grandsire had passed the triple nickel before he ran off with the housewife next door, and he smoked or chewed a pound of tobacco a day for more than five hundred years. Do you know how much tobacco that is?” He closes his eyes briefly before opening and saying, ”never mind, figures like that were never my thing.”


2 people marked this as a favorite.
F Human | Init +1 | AC 24 T19 FF22 CMD 25 (+2 grapple)| Hp 66/66 | Fort +17 Ref +14, Will +14 | Perception+11 (+2 vs evil outsiders) |

Moira gives Paritosh a blank look at his mention of donuts. "You mean like beignets or skipling-tails? ...Did you not have beignets? Did you not have SKIPLINGS?"
"Are we sure that this world is ready for this advanced confectionery technology? We don't want to be worse than the Dark Traders here," she says with a wink.

Getting down to business, she looks through the assembled schematics. "Now, here we have schematics, which we received from Lord Ghent inside a crystal." She pushes them over towards the new agents. "What's your take on them?"


Male Gnome Ranger 9 (AC: 24[T: 12 FF: 23] CMD 21 | HP: 75/94(0NL) | F+9*, R+7*, W+5* | Init: +1 (+2 Urban) |Perc: +14*)

Paritosh shakes his head, "no, neither of those, nor an æbleskiver. A donut, a proper donut, is like a flat pastry, but with a hole in the middle. Sort of like a pastry torc, if you will. And the middles, well, you fry them too, and can stuff them with jams, jellies, creams, etc. Well, I'll show you once we have it going." Paritosh pauses...

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 Sorry he missed that you were being sarcastic and joking with him.

... briefly, and continues on, "now there are yeasty donuts, and cake donuts..."

As Moira presents the weapons, and the schematics, Paritosh does his best to interpret the schematics, not for their engineering content, but more their value as records and their text content...

Appraise: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Take 10 on Linguistics:

Linguistics: 10 + 8 = 18

He is able to interpret some of the technical jargon, but doesn't know what it means. He briefly considers feigning knowledge he doesn't have, but he takes a leap of faith that these people are truly his friends and allies. " I don't know what these things are, but I have questions. What is a 'cap-ass-a-tor?' Or a 'bi-directional power source?'"


Male Dwarf|HP: 123/123|DR 3/-|AC: 25 (12 Tch, 24 Fl)||CMB: +15, CMD: 27|F: +14, R: +10, W: +12|Init: +2|Smite evil +4, +14 to damage, +4 deflection bonus to AC, 4x/day|Retribution (Su) 7x/day Paladin (Tortured Crusader)/10th/Godling (mighty)/3rd|Speed 20ft (20ft)|Lay on Hands 8/8x/day, 5d6

Arlo sits with the rest of the group, listening to the discussion of baked pastries, and getting more annoyed.


The party alternates between banter about donuts and what sort of street dumpling are available now and a serious look at the lue prints Lady Lyra supplied, looking at technological qualities, magical qualities and the interaction of the two. Paritosh’s research show that indeed the technology is maybe 200 years ahead of current Ovium knowledge. Lady Lyra can determines that the design is clever enough that a skilled smith could duplicate it.

The design requires a particular sort of crystal, whose properties are described. Only a minute piece is needed for each piece – a large, more ordinary crystal is “grown on top”.

The potential dangers of the device of the device becomes more evident as the group looks at the “sense of calm and well being” that the crystal gives. Anzarra believes this is akin to a suggestion spell. And moreover, this spell tends to join the emotions of all those who use the device. The more who use the device, the stronger the effect gets. This effect could fill a nation with love or with anger.

Now, if Lord Ghent and his shop are planning to produce many such devices, it implies that he or they also have a source of this magic crystal. What could that be? An aspiration supplied by Moira is that the Soul Well that the group visited with Arlo actually uses a sort of magic with a similar “aura signature” to the crystals. The well would contain such material – or could be used to produce it. Nothing here is that certain except the connection since material would have to be very rare normally.

The meeting with Lord is now three days away, by-the-way.

New Players might page to the original meeting for information on Lord Ghent's story. An earlier Ghent is mentioned in your history, soon to be posted.


One of Hernard’s prized book is a collection of poetry that is supposedly passed down from the era of the Immortals and their end. One verse describes six brothers, who possessed an infectious mania for running. They were supposedly imprisoned all together and still would not stop.

Moira knowledge of the First Brings to mind a place such a group could be released to – mountains in center of the land of The Tain. Getting there may take a bit of work. Spencer and Aria can research this.

...

Creating donuts will actually will require a bit of technological innovation; the invention of either the deep-fryer or baking powder. The group easily produce either....


Very preliminary history of Between Earth And Sky

This is the fruit of multiple characters researching the subject since you arrived. Please forgive possibly egregious typos. I'm a bit dyslexic, I've correct things more later.


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

Lady Lyra hands her ring of communication to the newcomers.

"I think you had best have this so you can communicate with us. If you need me just tell Moira or Arlo"

With the talk of donuts, and tobacco neither of which exists where she is from. Stim-plants and Chem-sticks yes. Food tubes are galore. It all seemed very... basic.

She got up and walked over to Arlo who was looking more grumpy than usual.

@Arlo:

Leaning down she whispered in his ear.

"Come over to the stable I have made you something"

Walking over to the table where she had been working.
On it sits a very large gun But it seems dead or broken in some way. She must have been working on it. Next are bits and bobs of a gum kit with wood shafts and a small black powder kegs. Thre odd-looking stick like batons lay finished. She picks one up and shows it to Arlo.

"On our last mission, you talked of Dwarf grenadiers, who throw grenades in combat. Well, this is my approximation of what you talked about."

She picks up one the stubby like buttons

"The head cast pig iron, inside a holo is a small black powder charge, the fuse is at the bottom"

She turns it over and a small waxed string colors red can be seen coming out of the handle.

"Pull the string, and you have around 5 seconds before the small black powder charge explodes shattering the cast pig iron top into ballistic shrapnel. Hitting everything in about a say 20' diameter area. Not tested them yet but they are so simple they should work. The wax keeps them watertight."

There are three on the table, with a bandolier hold them. She picks the stick grenades up one by one, slotting them in the bandolier. There are small hops for more. That seems to be all she has at the moment. Then she hands the bandolier to Arlo.

"It's a gift, Arlo. O the others are looking at the schematics have to go."

And with that, she leaves him and goes to the others.


Basic Stick Grenade* (concussion) DMG [3d6] Area effect [20 ft] [Crit x2] (B)
*Grenade, Concussion: This time-delayed concussion grenade is a mainstay of trench warfare. The device appears to be little more than a metal cylinder tapering to a handle containing a spring-loaded lever. To detonate the device, you disengage the safety pin while depressing the handle’s lever, which releases the firing pin when thrown. The device detonates at the beginning of your next turn, hopefully in the area you targeted. The device relies on a concussive blast to deal damage, and all creatures within a 20-foot radius take 3d6 points of bludgeoning damage (Reflex DC 15 for half).

Then she re-joins the others in front of some diagram

"A capacitor is a device that takes in and stores energy until needed. The bidirectional power source is a power generator that can send its energy both ways along the circuit it is connected to. The question is what kind of energy does this thing generate and store and why? If it was electrical I could understand it, but it seems to be some other kind of power. Its... for want of a better word some kind of magic."


Later the same day when the puzzle of the blue prints is coming together, a formal invitation from Lord Ghent arrives - by pigeon again, inviting Lady Lyra "and entourage" to a party at Lord Ghent's chateau. Which is odd because he previously made no mention of a party and instead just talked of private discussion. But there it is, time 2:00 pm, costumes suggested.

The obvious things to do are: make preparations for the event but another possibility is to make another visit to the Soul Well beforehand. All the characters may describe their preparation. Anyone who wishes may narrate the start of a trip to either Lord Ghent's chateau or the Soul Well (marked by a black "door" a short distance from the path to Selium). If there's no action or decision to do something else, by tomorrow afternoon/evening, I will describe the party going to Lord Ghent's event


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

As they are talking there is a knock at the door. An odd one that has a rhythm. She goes to see who it is and comes back with a letter.

She shows it to the others.

"So a party, not a meeting. And in three days. I get the feeling Lord Ghent has been compromised and this could well be a trap."

She passes the invite around, the walks over to the schismatics.

"So come on, someone must have an idea of what this thing dose or is intended for. We know it's mechanical and some form of magic, it affects the minds of its users in some way, but what way and how, why?"


See discussion section


Map Female Half-Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 8 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 / T 13 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +8 / Will +6 | CMB +8 / CMD 22 | Initiative +3 | Low-Light Vision | Perception +18 | Spells 1L 2/4 2L 4/4 3L 0/2 | Bardic Performance 16/21 | Active effects: none

Knowledge Engineering: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12
Knowledge Arcana: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16

Hmm, well... it would be hard to be certain without being able to see the finished product, but from what I gather, it is similar to a suggestion spell. It combines the energy of emotion of the people using the device, amplifies it, and can then broadcast it to others. I'm pretty sure that they then, if they were of strong will, could resist it, but the weak-willed or people who might already be feeling the broadcast emotion would then feel it more, and be able to be swayed in one way or another.

The possibilities are worrisome, for while the device could be used for good, perhaps... such as in an anger management program to teach some positive emotion, or perhaps a mental hospital to lift people out of depression... something on this scale would surely be used in an evil way, such as to quell rebellion or to enrage people into mobs, not because of the way they truly feel, but in an engineered way, so that the majority of people feel exactly what you want them to feel.


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

"Interesting"

She looks to the others if they want to add more.


Male Gnome Ranger 9 (AC: 24[T: 12 FF: 23] CMD 21 | HP: 75/94(0NL) | F+9*, R+7*, W+5* | Init: +1 (+2 Urban) |Perc: +14*)

"I fear that I know naught of magic or technology, so it would be folly for me try and expound upon topics of which I am ignorant. A emotion weapon though. I can imagine some possibilities that a young gnome such as I could put the thing in the presence of our fairer sex! As for parties though, I'm afraid I don't have a thing to wear to such a thing. What is the local protocol for armor and weapons at a shindig such as described?" Paritosh thinks again, "wait, so this thing, and the diagrams of the emotion weapon. Are you saying someone has made one completely, perhaps many of them?"


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

"One that we know of, made here by a master crafts-maker. I want to suggest that one or more of us go over to the workshop and try and have a closer look. Before the meeting in three days. This one has been used in demonstrations and may have been effected by them. We may want to know if we disable it that they are free of its influence."

She went and sat back down again.

"If this is a trap, Then it may be a good idea to head to Lord Ghents estate and place it under observation."


Map Female Half-Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 8 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 / T 13 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +8 / Will +6 | CMB +8 / CMD 22 | Initiative +3 | Low-Light Vision | Perception +18 | Spells 1L 2/4 2L 4/4 3L 0/2 | Bardic Performance 16/21 | Active effects: none

I think that is a good idea. I would love to see that machine up close... although I don't think that it is a good idea that they exist, really. Being able to manipulate people's emotions is a scary power to allow anyone to have. How far have these plans spread?

I mean, I suppose if people are using it as entertainment and understand that their emotions are being manipulated, and are just doing it for an experience, that is one thing, and if they have spread wide and we can't stop it, then education is the best strategy, but if it is possible to just put an end to it, that would be my preference.


Male Gnome Ranger 9 (AC: 24[T: 12 FF: 23] CMD 21 | HP: 75/94(0NL) | F+9*, R+7*, W+5* | Init: +1 (+2 Urban) |Perc: +14*)

Paritosh nods at the suggestions, "I would not be opposed to some form of covert inspection of the device, and the place it was made. Exactly the sort of thing that Moonbeam and I could undertake. We can be quite stealthy. Although, admittedly, I wouldn't necessarily have the technical savvy to interpret the thing when found. I could likely disable it, however."


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

"Its up to Moira but I think a simple re-con mission may get you two some good experience. Sa if you went in tonight and had a look-see."

She looks over at Moira.

"While the rest of us could head out and have a look around Lord Ghent estate"

Then something hits her,

"Was there not a 3ed new agent comming? We seem to be one short."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
F Human | Init +1 | AC 24 T19 FF22 CMD 25 (+2 grapple)| Hp 66/66 | Fort +17 Ref +14, Will +14 | Perception+11 (+2 vs evil outsiders) |

"Makes sense, let's do it. I'm also interested in cutting off their supply. The most likely place for them to be getting gems of a dangerous size is the Soul Well. If we can cut off their access, these devices change from a danger to a curiosity."


Male Gnome Ranger 9 (AC: 24[T: 12 FF: 23] CMD 21 | HP: 75/94(0NL) | F+9*, R+7*, W+5* | Init: +1 (+2 Urban) |Perc: +14*)

"There was only Anzarra and I that we saw getting the rigamarole. Anzarra, you'd didn't see anyone else, did you?"

The Arcane Trickster wanting to join would be an invaluable asset on this infiltration mission.


Map Female Half-Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 8 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 / T 13 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +8 / Will +6 | CMB +8 / CMD 22 | Initiative +3 | Low-Light Vision | Perception +18 | Spells 1L 2/4 2L 4/4 3L 0/2 | Bardic Performance 16/21 | Active effects: none

No, there was no one with us, but that doesn't mean that no one else is coming. Perhaps we should check back and see before going out to check the device this evening.

She realizes that she still has the hat on, and takes it off and folds it up again, placing it in her pocket.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf|HP: 123/123|DR 3/-|AC: 25 (12 Tch, 24 Fl)||CMB: +15, CMD: 27|F: +14, R: +10, W: +12|Init: +2|Smite evil +4, +14 to damage, +4 deflection bonus to AC, 4x/day|Retribution (Su) 7x/day Paladin (Tortured Crusader)/10th/Godling (mighty)/3rd|Speed 20ft (20ft)|Lay on Hands 8/8x/day, 5d6
Lady Lyra Anna Fitzroy wrote:

"Pull the string, and you have around 5 seconds before the small black powder charge explodes shattering the cast pig iron top into ballistic shrapnel. Hitting everything in about a say 20' diameter area. Not tested them yet but they are so simple they should work. The wax keeps them watertight."

There are three on the table, with a bandolier hold them. She picks the stick grenades up one by one, slotting them in the bandolier. There are small hops for more. That seems to be all she has at the moment. Then she hands the bandolier to Arlo.

[b]"It's a gift, Arlo. O the others are looking at the schematics have to go."

The dwarf examines the explosives with interest. Arlo was about to say something appreciative, but the android returned to the others. "..Thank..you..", was all Arlo could muster under his breath. The paladin puts the new bandolier on, and rejoins the table. It takes a special woman to give a man high explosives, Arlo thought.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

She nods at Moira's orders.

"Good then we are a go, Going to the Soul Well will end the main threat."

She gets up and starts taking down the schematics, placing them in a locked chest. There seems to be some kind of trap on it.

Craft Traps 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

The chest trap:

It's a small incendiary device that burns the contents of the chest should someone try and pick the lock.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Gnome Ranger 9 (AC: 24[T: 12 FF: 23] CMD 21 | HP: 75/94(0NL) | F+9*, R+7*, W+5* | Init: +1 (+2 Urban) |Perc: +14*)

"Are we better off all going to the Soul Well then, rather than splitting up? While we don't want to have 'too many chefs in the kitchen,' we also don't want to be 'butter scraped over too much bread,' as my Pappy used to say in two contradictory aphorisms."


Male Dwarf|HP: 123/123|DR 3/-|AC: 25 (12 Tch, 24 Fl)||CMB: +15, CMD: 27|F: +14, R: +10, W: +12|Init: +2|Smite evil +4, +14 to damage, +4 deflection bonus to AC, 4x/day|Retribution (Su) 7x/day Paladin (Tortured Crusader)/10th/Godling (mighty)/3rd|Speed 20ft (20ft)|Lay on Hands 8/8x/day, 5d6

"NO!" The dwarf bellows. "The Soul Well is highly dangerous! Numbers and Smarts will help everyone survive! The danger of the Soul Well is in it's innocuous nature."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

She jumps a little when Arlo bellows from behind, she turns in her seat and looks at him.

"Well Arlo if you feel strongly about this, what do you suggest?"


2 people marked this as a favorite.
F Human | Init +1 | AC 24 T19 FF22 CMD 25 (+2 grapple)| Hp 66/66 | Fort +17 Ref +14, Will +14 | Perception+11 (+2 vs evil outsiders) |

Tomorrow night, we reconnoitter. The next, we hit the soul well. In three days, we party."


Mandor Pindaros' workshop is large and in an area approximately five blocks from the docks, an area with many active workshops. As a center of commerce, it's an area many of the characters are already familiar with. During the day, freelance mechanics roam the streets and merchants sell parts and tools. The sound of more complex machines can be heard along with the sounds of hammers.

Pindaros shop in particular is more secretive than most - most work with glassless windows wide open to take advantage of the breeze from the sea. The Pindaros shop has opaque screens on all sides preventing casual viewers. Still, rumor has it that Pindaros employs ten workmen and along with machinery and that nothing is allowed out of the shop, worker surrender their tools. Work goes from 7 am to 8 pm, long hours even for the workshop distict. Pindaros is said to work after others leave. Pindaros sleeps above the shop, like most masters and the shop recently began using two private guards, where they were hired from is unknown. Peter Ghent has visited periodically but not in the last few days.

Despite the efforts at secrecy, getting a general layout of the workshop is fairly easy, see map (on that wall, one door (to the work area) is locked and the other, to the storage area, is bricked shut).

Note, there is a side door on a street on one side (Iron str) that a careful rogue might be able to unlock and gain entry to.

I will assume the group assembles half a block away to at least look at the shop.


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

Takes her comms ring back and when the others meet.

"I'm going to go to hight, like last time somewhere I can see the front of the building while covering you. I will act as an outside lookout and back up should you need it."

If everyone is happy with this
Perseption 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (15) + 14 = 29
Acrobatics 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (13) + 16 = 29

She looks around, spots a rooftop out front of the workshop, and is off. Up the side of the building and soon looking down at the others.

using her comms ring.

"Comms check"

Her rifle out she uses the cope to check the area.

Perseption 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (17) + 14 = 31



If people are missing whisper rings, they can go to Shadow, who has the extra rings from earlier. He simply forgot to give them out when the new people arrives (stuff happens).


Map Female Half-Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 8 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 / T 13 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +8 / Will +6 | CMB +8 / CMD 22 | Initiative +3 | Low-Light Vision | Perception +18 | Spells 1L 2/4 2L 4/4 3L 0/2 | Bardic Performance 16/21 | Active effects: none

Before the mission, Anzarra gets a whisper ring from Shadow.

When Lyra does a comms check, she responds

check

She tries to spot the two guards

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12

Not seeing both of them though, she remains silent in a nearby alleyway, waiting for more information from Lyra about positioning, wanting to time things correctly and not get nabbed on her first mission in this new place.

Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16


Male Gnome Ranger 9 (AC: 24[T: 12 FF: 23] CMD 21 | HP: 75/94(0NL) | F+9*, R+7*, W+5* | Init: +1 (+2 Urban) |Perc: +14*)

Paritosh too will have procured his ring.

--------------------------

"Errr, comms check? I can hear you. I'm going to check that side door. I could try going in the roof too, if desired."

Paritosh leaves Moonbeam with the others and quietly slips over to the locked side door...

Stealth: 1d20 + 15 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 15 + 2 = 21

... and will quickly assess if the door is trapped in some fashion.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 11 + 2 = 28

Having determined the door is safe (provided it is!), he commences trying to unlock the door...

Disable Device: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

If that is enough to unlock the door, he whispers to the group...

"I have secured entrance through the alley door. Shall we? Oh, and bring Moonbeam."


The group is assembled at point where they can monitor the shop without fear of observation, monitoring the place starting early afternoon and taking action once night falls.

During the afternoon the guards pace around the workshop, they're friendly with the workers, alert and professional, armed with short swords, rifles and wands. Your guess would be they're mercenaries hired from Selium or a smaller nearby city. As activity winds down, they continue to observe the area that the workers are cleaning up. At one point one then, one of the guards seems to notice something and recoil, then whisper to the other guard and then the clean-up continues, with the workers leaving and the guards going inside with the master.

The streets are soon dark and Paritosh is able to easily maneuver his way to a place where he can pick side door's lock, ease it open and observe - actually listen, as he hears the two guards conversing inside the workshop. One voice (assume a guard), "Five complete machines are in back, the rest shipped to Lord Ghent." voice 2:"The test gem back in the safe."
Voice 1"You know, I really did I see a creature out there, peaking from the sewer, maybe a beast but large and unnatural." voice 2: "Yes, this is what Lord Ghent warned us of, creatures lurking in the area, observing." Voice 1: "Should we warn Master Pindaros?" Voice 2: "No, he's been working hard enough as it is. We simply have to stay alert. This is why we have guns and magic". Voice 1: "Well, then let's scan the place one more time... Hey did someone leave the side door open?"

At this point, Paritosh sees the guard moving to shut the door. He can either: jump forward, hiding under one of the tables, jump back out onto the street, bluff the guard when he arrives or do something else. Note; you can hear a strange scratching sound outside, like someone maybe sharpening a knife.

Note/Edit also: Hiding under the table would not require another stealth roll. But moving from there might, depending.


Male Gnome Ranger 9 (AC: 24[T: 12 FF: 23] CMD 21 | HP: 75/94(0NL) | F+9*, R+7*, W+5* | Init: +1 (+2 Urban) |Perc: +14*)

Paritosh relays what he hears, as he hears it, but when he hears the guard coming towards the door, he says, "s#$%, they're coming." Paritosh uses his cap to disguise himself as a a human child street urchin type holding his hat out for alms, and just stands around looking poor and helpless, his hammer slung over his back and hopefully out of view.

Disguise: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

When the guard comes out...

"Oy, good evenin' suh, could you be about helping me with a spot to eat please?" Paritosh rubs his tummy and looks pathetic.


The first guard takes one look at the kid and says: "kid, it's not safe out there. Come on in here ... or run" At this point, Paritosh and the rest of the party can see a cat-like crystalline creature pulling itself out (or flowing out) of a sewer grate - looking larger than a thing that could crawl through the smallish sewers of Ovium should be. The first guard at the door will attempt to pull Paritosh into the building (only cmd 16, reposition, not expecting resistance), the other guard will attempt to force the door shut whether Paritosh goes in, out, or attempts to wedge the door (Cmd 20, opposed strength check 15, you try quickly inserting something but you've pretty much got down the method of springing the lock, faster & +5 for retrying disable here).

On the map, I'm assuming the party is down/to the East of the side door, in the alcove of an empty workshop building. Paritosh is at the side door. The cat thing has appeared a little above the bricked-door.


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (7) + 14 = 21
As the thing comes out she takes a beed on it.
exstended studded strike


Map Female Half-Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 8 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 / T 13 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +8 / Will +6 | CMB +8 / CMD 22 | Initiative +3 | Low-Light Vision | Perception +18 | Spells 1L 2/4 2L 4/4 3L 0/2 | Bardic Performance 16/21 | Active effects: none

Anzarra, seeing the cat-thing coming out of the sewers, and knowing from Paritosh's commentary that these things are likely plane-jumpers working for the Dark Traders, looks around to see if there are any other observers.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13

She is tempted to shoot at the thing, but since their goal is to get inside to look at the machines, she chooses to stay in hiding, waiting for an opportunity.


Male Gnome Ranger 9 (AC: 24[T: 12 FF: 23] CMD 21 | HP: 75/94(0NL) | F+9*, R+7*, W+5* | Init: +1 (+2 Urban) |Perc: +14*)

Paritosh says, ”Gee thanks Mister,” as he tries to jam the lock while being pulled inside.

Disable Device: 1d20 + 9 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 9 + 5 = 30

Once inside he asks, ”are there bad people out there Mister?”

Paritosh will start asking kid questions, and repeating the answers, so that his allies hear them. You know, “why?why? why?” And saying things like “golly that’s a nice X.” You know, giving intel right away through the rings! All the while looking around and describing...

Perception: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 11 + 2 = 33 +4 more if related to undead, or +2 for evil outsiders

...everything!

Don’t try this at home kids! Mr. Paritosh is a trained “professional!”


F Human | Init +1 | AC 24 T19 FF22 CMD 25 (+2 grapple)| Hp 66/66 | Fort +17 Ref +14, Will +14 | Perception+11 (+2 vs evil outsiders) |

Moira tries to keep back and out of the way, not being particularly sneaky. She'll stick her head out when the cat-thing shows up to attempt to identify it.

Knowledge: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16 Additional +6 if it's planes, and a further +2 if it's an evil outsider.


"Bad things" Says guard 1, who grabbed Paritosh and then somewhat gently moves him out of the doorway and against the wall as Guard 2 throws himself again the door and moments afterwards a heavy force falls against the door, nearly sending Guard 2 sprawling as he shouts "Why won't the door lock! yet he manages push the door shut again. Guard 1 steps back and readies his musket. From outside the door, a hissing voice comes: Give me the little man, he is interfering.. Guard 1 looks at Paritosh and says "Stay back kid, we'll keep this out or deal with it if it gets in.

Inside the workshop: Paritosh can see tables filled with the insides of the machine the party has been puzzling out, each table with different parts laid out, one table with three nearly complete assemblages and blank area. Electrical tools hang on the wall and there's oil-powered generator in the corner - notably advance machinery for the era. From casing the workshop earlier, you know the door to the storage are is around the corner. You hear what might be footsteps from above.
Guard 1 is slim, darker skinned while Guard 2 olive skinned, big and muscular. They have the slight accent of Selium.

Outside: Moira is able to identity the thing as a sort of minor crystal golem in the shape of a cat. These devices are used by the Dark Trade since they are able to send their consciousness into them - tough but maybe only 3/4 as tough as a true golem (and don't have the most dangerous power). The party members outside can see the thing heave itself against the door (apparently trying to grab Paritosh) and then whisper a threat.

The streets are quite. It is approximately 8:30, dark, a half-moon with some clouds. A small light is hung every other corner in this district, a recent innovation spreading through the city. The city watch won't make it's rounds here for half an hour but many masters live above their works as well as some journeymen. The thing just made quite a racket.


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

She had seen all she needed to see, whatever it was it was between the workshop and the team. She called in

"Permistion to engage?"


Map Female Half-Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 8 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 / T 13 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +8 / Will +6 | CMB +8 / CMD 22 | Initiative +3 | Low-Light Vision | Perception +18 | Spells 1L 2/4 2L 4/4 3L 0/2 | Bardic Performance 16/21 | Active effects: none

Anzarra raises her bow and aims at the cat-thing, ready to attack if permission is given.


Male Gnome Ranger 9 (AC: 24[T: 12 FF: 23] CMD 21 | HP: 75/94(0NL) | F+9*, R+7*, W+5* | Init: +1 (+2 Urban) |Perc: +14*)

Paritosh continues his litany of asking questions about the things he sees, but also throws in, "gee thanks mister, you weren't kidding! That is one ugly, angry kitty trying to get in here! You won't let it hurt us will you?"

Having heard the movement upstairs, Paritosh adds "mister, I heard something upstairs, do you think it's another one of these kitties?"

Paritosh starts moving towards the storage area, "should I hide over here, so the mean kitty can't hurt me?" Unsure who the group was seeking permission from to attack, he decides maybe it's him, so he cries out, "Oh, please, kill the mean kitty before it gets in and hurts us!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Moira has been called as leader of group but I'd like folks to assume that anyone has permission to engage when it makes sense. Otherwise we'll be here for days and days and days. Just do it. Unless the question of "attack" seems really hard question laid out for the characters to pronder, just attack, don't ask.


F Human | Init +1 | AC 24 T19 FF22 CMD 25 (+2 grapple)| Hp 66/66 | Fort +17 Ref +14, Will +14 | Perception+11 (+2 vs evil outsiders) |

Over the rings, Moira explains. "The cat is basically a golem, but even less sophisticated. You're all on this mission because you're trusted agents who can take initiative. You certainly don't need my permission to engage."


Male Dwarf|HP: 123/123|DR 3/-|AC: 25 (12 Tch, 24 Fl)||CMB: +15, CMD: 27|F: +14, R: +10, W: +12|Init: +2|Smite evil +4, +14 to damage, +4 deflection bonus to AC, 4x/day|Retribution (Su) 7x/day Paladin (Tortured Crusader)/10th/Godling (mighty)/3rd|Speed 20ft (20ft)|Lay on Hands 8/8x/day, 5d6

Without a word, Arlo unsheaths his waraxe and attacks the faux cat.
+1 Dwarven Waraxe: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30
Dmg.: 1d10 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7


Map Female Half-Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 8 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 / T 13 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +8 / Will +6 | CMB +8 / CMD 22 | Initiative +3 | Low-Light Vision | Perception +18 | Spells 1L 2/4 2L 4/4 3L 0/2 | Bardic Performance 16/21 | Active effects: none

Anzarra steps to the edge of the alley and shoots at the cat-thing.

Attack: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 8 + 1 = 14 (point blank)

Piercing Damage: 2d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (6, 1) + 2 + 1 = 10


Anzarra's shot glances off the cat-thing but Arlo's axe bites a frustratingly small piece off the cat-thing's crystal form.

At the sound of the fight outside, the guard 2 throws open the side door, and both guards fire their (17th century-style) rifles at the creature. Guard 2's shot does perhaps a bit more than Arlo, still modest damage but Guard 1 shot hits the thing full in the mouth and black shards of stuff spay everywhere (critical hit obviously). The thing is still standing with plenty of life in it but it sees way the battle is going. The cat-thing is fleeing back to the sewer. Arlo get an attack of opportunity and Lady Lyra can take her shot at it. As the thing flees, the guards look at Arlos and say "and who are you axe wielder?" (the rest of the party, Moiria, Lady Lyra and Anzarra, are back in the alcove maybe 50 feet away).

With this much confusion, Paritosh is free to go around the corner and check out that area. Guard 1 does say "hey kid, come back..." but he's distracted for bit. As Paritosh carefully does so, he can see Master Mandor Pindaros carefully peering out of the door to storage area (but not yet seeing him). 18 stealth and acrobatics rolls will get him past the master and into the storage room or try bluff or choose your tactics.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf|HP: 123/123|DR 3/-|AC: 25 (12 Tch, 24 Fl)||CMB: +15, CMD: 27|F: +14, R: +10, W: +12|Init: +2|Smite evil +4, +14 to damage, +4 deflection bonus to AC, 4x/day|Retribution (Su) 7x/day Paladin (Tortured Crusader)/10th/Godling (mighty)/3rd|Speed 20ft (20ft)|Lay on Hands 8/8x/day, 5d6

AoO: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28
Dmg.: 1d10 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

GM Hansj wrote:
Arlo get an attack of opportunity and Lady Lyra can take her shot at it. As the thing flees, the guards look at Arlos and say "and who are you axe wielder?" (the rest of the party, Moiria, Lady Lyra and Anzarra, are back in the alcove maybe 50 feet away).

"I'm Arlo Brighthammer. Who the fu<k are YOU!!"

Intimidate: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (3) + 15 = 18


Cat hisses back "I'll feast on your liver later, little one" as it continues fleeing (another small chunk taken out).

301 to 350 of 4,829 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Arrival at the city of Ovium (Chapter 1) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.