A Tiny Part Of The Dimension Wars (Interdimensional Spy Follies

Game Master GM Hansj

You: hardened, experienced agents of an ad-hoc group of wizards, priests and occultist, known only as "The Organization". You act to stop plane-destroying effects such as those unleashed by the mysterious and sinister Dark Traders.

Current Location: Journeying from Gamjee Town to the area inhabited by the mysterious Cucurai. Towards end of the third days in, but having made good time, at the Crystal Forest.

Leander's way points:
1) A lookout in hill, showing a wide area, 2 days along
2) The Crystal Forrest, 4 days along
3) Oil Flats, 5 days along
4) A matrix of caves, 8 days along
5) Mornette Flowers, 11 days along
6) Valley of Mists 13 days along
7) The Cucurai's home, 14 days along

Final Goal:
Discover the relation between the Cucurai and a mysterious book describing the Dark Traders' "seeding" of various planes.


251 to 300 of 4,851 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

Arlo conducts Lady Lyra, Moira and everyone with magical competence to the black door he found a few hundred feet from the road. Those with minimum magical sense see the door both as it is and also like an opening into something like a deep well. Your training tells you this is likely a soul-well, a holding area that certain civilizations use to keep souls after death but before their final journey. Such things likely have guardians, traps and similar magical devices to prevent entry to the unauthorized.

Analyzing and manipulating this phenomena has the potential for serious danger. You could proceed forward, the lead magic person doing a spell craft - but expect that with a less than a 20, everyone is trapped in the well. 25 will get you information and 30 could allow you to enter and leave fairly safely

You can also leave and come back with more resources. Moira thinks that Hernard Demoivee would probably understand some of the things going on with this ancient artifact/device.

And whether people want to jump into this now or leave 'till you have a bit more info REALLY is up to. Whatever post either "I try to open" or "I tell the party we should wait'[/b]


Male Dwarf|HP: 123/123|DR 3/-|AC: 25 (12 Tch, 24 Fl)||CMB: +15, CMD: 27|F: +14, R: +10, W: +12|Init: +2|Smite evil +4, +14 to damage, +4 deflection bonus to AC, 4x/day|Retribution (Su) 7x/day Paladin (Tortured Crusader)/10th/Godling (mighty)/3rd|Speed 20ft (20ft)|Lay on Hands 8/8x/day, 5d6

"Well, $#|+!" Arlo grunts, crossing his arms. "Those 'ghosts' sure aren't going aware. Let them rot some more until we have the resources to deal with them proper!"


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

Lady Lyra stands as by her steam punk looking rifle out as she stands guard. Then when the others are done she takes a looks over the door.

"Humm Arlo, let me have a look at it."

Spell scraft 1d20 + 10 + 1d6 ⇒ (6) + 10 + (3) = 19

She shakes her head.

"No it is beyond my little understanding of such magical things, Is this what they call necromancer magic?"

She says the word necromancer with a little disdain.

"Where I am from we have crafters called technomancers, but their works are nothing like this. This looks evil and wrong. If the soul of that woman is trapped in here we have to find a way to release it"

She steps away so others can work. And heads over to Moira. Where she has a quiet word.

"Moira, as you second, I have to say something. I feel we have more generalists then we need and too few specialists. Spencer, good that he is with books, is no field agent. And I know there has been a request for Lurker to return for another mission. This is just my view but I recommend we send them back and ask for more specialists in our unit. Things like this are only going to get more common."

She nods back at the door.

My hope is that this will help the new players into the game


Note that when Lady Lyra and the others describe their finding about black door in the Cup and Anchor conference room, Spencer comments, "Actually, while that sort of magic may seem like the Necromancy of the Dark Traders, I believe it is in fact something rather different. A Soul Well would be used by a civilization oriented around the magic and the favor of deities or similar forces. Such device is used to make the path from life to afterlife smoother. Those who die remain in this middle area for days or weeks before passing further and the dead and the living can reconcile. It's very pleasant order - if you're into that kind of thing but it tends to be an unchanging order as people have little fear in their journey onward and little reason to change." He stops, considers. "This type of device could be 'repurposed' in various nefarious ways, I suppose, something the Dark Traders may be able to do. The other thing to think of, is how the bustling life of Ovium is quite a contrast to the slow, theocratic older that would have produce such a device. This may be a clue for us. .

The next task is a possible meeting with Lord Peter Ghent at Arlo's Club. Post any prep in the next couple hours. Or none and I will set the scene.


Male Dwarf|HP: 123/123|DR 3/-|AC: 25 (12 Tch, 24 Fl)||CMB: +15, CMD: 27|F: +14, R: +10, W: +12|Init: +2|Smite evil +4, +14 to damage, +4 deflection bonus to AC, 4x/day|Retribution (Su) 7x/day Paladin (Tortured Crusader)/10th/Godling (mighty)/3rd|Speed 20ft (20ft)|Lay on Hands 8/8x/day, 5d6

After the excursion to the Black Door was a bust, Arlo had a few hours before his doorman work at The Gamera Club. The dwarf set up The Blue Room, a private room for both Lady Lyra and Lord Ghent to have their business. Arlo gave Lady Lyra a whistle to wear around her neck to use if she was in trouble. The paladin would be at the door, by the time the meeting started.


Background: Lady Lyra previously researched Lord Ghent. She discovered that he is a mid-aged noble of a house of midling importance (the Ghents, naturally). Since a young age, he's had the reputation of indulging in the finest luxuries and lavishly entertaining all manner of artists, inventors and dreamers. This made him a mainstay of Ovium society as well as the workshops of Oviums inventors. However, the lavishness of his efforts seemed unsustainable and two years ago rumors circulated that he was ruined and he disappeared for a time. Then, a year ago, he reappeared, apparently with more resources than ever and has a financed a number of conventional projects as well as the gem project.

When Lady Lyra first sent a note looking to meet him, he sent a polite reply stated his schedule was far too busy and he'd have to look again the next month. However, just a day ago, he apparently changed his mind and sent a further note requesting a meeting.

So that evening, Lord Peter Ghent arrives at The Gamera Club as he often does but unlike most times, he comes alone and Arlo as shows him to the private room with Lady Lira, Arlo can see that he has quite a worried look about him.

After a few pleasantries, Lord Ghent cuts to the chase: My dear, I came to you because, while newly arrived in town, you have gotten a reputation as a person with determination, energy and resources. And also someone who is good at keeping secrets." Now speaking more softly and secretively... "I have a serious problem. I have an exciting new enterprise, one with remarkable profit potential. I have the problem, however, that my investor has turned out to have a sinister side I never imagined. I need to quickly find a replacement for this investor - as well as discover ways to protect myself from their schemes. A further wrinkle is this investor supplied some of the necessary know-how for this invention. However, I think with careful observation, I have discovered enough that I do not need them. Can you help me with this? Please at least promise this is a secret between you and I...

Note that you folks still have the "whisper rings", which might or might not be as good as a whistle.


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

Lady Lyra looks at the whistle and stoops down so Arlo can place it about her neck. She smiles at him. And placing her hand on it changes it color to chrome. Ninite Presdisdigation

"Thank you Arlo, that is most kind, I will keep it close should I need it"

Then she makes her way to the booth to wait for his lordship As she sees him enter, Her skin glows slightly as the odd designs in it light up blue. Read thoughts activated 7 mins

When he comes she greets him and offers fine refreshments. Then as he starts right into his tail she listens attentively here eyes not leaving his.

Sence motive 1d20 + 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (14) + (5) + 8 = 27

When he has done, she leans forward and places her hand on his.

"All this is off the record Peter, and between us alone. Know that you are with a friend here. As they say, "nobility looks after it's own" Now then before I work out what to do to help you I want to know a little more. How about we start with you telling me some details. Let's start with why you feel you are in danger and the nature of the sinister side your current investor has. Once I know the danger then we can make plans to extract you from your current predicament."

She patted his hand to show she cared.

Diplomacy 1d20 + 12 + 1d6 ⇒ (13) + 12 + (2) = 27


F Human | Init +1 | AC 24 T19 FF22 CMD 25 (+2 grapple)| Hp 66/66 | Fort +17 Ref +14, Will +14 | Perception+11 (+2 vs evil outsiders) |

Moira keeps up her morning constitutionals with Hernard Demoivee, promising to help him with his clock. "You're right, I could probably help you. But I do have friends who can probably help a lot more than I can, as well. You've been most hospitable, perhaps we can bring a meal for yourself and your family when we come."

She will accompany Lady Lyra to the Gamera club but will hang out with Arlo outside during the meeting.


Lord Peter Ghent speaks sincerely and without giving the impression of holding anything back. Still, Lady Lyra knows a noble such Ghent probably is a master of composure and self-control IE, probably high bluff if he's bluffing.

"Several years ago, my research directed me to a remarkable source of crystal rock, held in a very secret location. Now, one with a strong mind, such as myself, could meditate on it and gain a powerful sense of calm and moreover direct the rock to move in an entertaining fashion. A remarkable discovery - but sadly not that would garner much attention - mage's trick are common enough. I knew several already and moving the crystal took a significant portion of my mental energy.

Everyone knows the mage can only do his trick a couple times a day but guns, the engines and the forges of our workshops work all day long - the rise of the workshops, the fall of the mage's schools. So I put the discover out of my and went on to other investments, where I had luck for a time, until they failed. Then, nursing my wounds and preparing other plans, I received a strange visitor. A dark man, shadowy. I don't think I have ever seen his face. He said heard of my misfortune and thought he could help. As if to dismiss him, I said, 'if you can make my crystals fly all day long, then I might be interested, otherwise, be off.' But surprisingly, he seemed to understand and offered a machine to do exactly that. Moreover, I was right the crystal offered a change of mental state as well, taking the mind into a pleasant half dream. So I took my friend's designs, did my best to understand them, sadly not well enough to start, then found a skilled smith capable of constructing them. And I took my new 'friend's' gold also and paid them with it. Things have gone well as you see. However, I realized now friend has inserted certain things into the designs that are strange, perhaps damaging to the minds of those who would use the device. I believe, however, I could change this and make the device function in a wholesome fashion. But I would need both currency and protection from my friend, who may not even be human for all I know. Anyway, this is the situation. There is danger but there is promise. I have captured the public's imagine and this is always good. I must go now. I assume this is something you will have to consider this situation carefully and gather your resources. I hereby invite you to my chateau, five days hence. Bring whatever experts you wish to examine the device. I will bring my Smith."

The time is such that the next action is the meeting at the house of Hernard Demoivee,


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

"Before you go Peter, I would ask you one last thing. You said you had designs for this device. If what you say is genuine and you really want my help, then you would have no objection to me studying these designs before the meeting As a sign of goodwill."

She stood and looked down at him, all of her full 7' tall, and just for a moment her hard synthetic eyes that never blinked and the cold, inhuman mind behind them locked on his, she held the look a moment.

O He may have a high bluff but she is one scary lady when she wants to be, Intimidate 1d20 + 1d6 + 15 ⇒ (12) + (4) + 15 = 31

"Have them delivered to my officers by tomorrow, Peter."

This was not said as a request this was an order.

Her point made, her manner changed in an instant, She smiled at him and offered her hand as a lady would, to be kissed.

"It's been a pleasure Peter"


Lord Ghent hesitates for a mere second, his lip quivering just slightly, then nods curtly, "Of course, that shouldn't be a problem, I will send them in a form that will be accessible to only you my dear. You must be certain to tell me all discover" And he naturally responds as a nobleman would.


Moira Monday wrote:

Moira keeps up her morning constitutionals with Hernard Demoivee, promising to help him with his clock. "You're right, I could probably help you. But I do have friends who can probably help a lot more than I can, as well. You've been most hospitable, perhaps we can bring a meal for yourself and your family when we come."

Responding in parallel

To the comment about his family, Hernard respond "My dear, you've been listening to rumors. While my family resides in the same building as myself, I don't think I've seen them for years. No, that's not true, I see one of them maybe once a week. But we haven't spoken in ever so long. It's about honor. Or, well, actually it's harder to explain. But these birds are main conversation partners now, along with you my dear. Don't trouble yourself with food, my servant Gillian will prepare it. But bring your clock fixing friends, we may need them. And make sure to use my door. If you want to make it more formal affair, you may bring a poem, in the Illicaster style, in ten stanzas. But that is unnecessary, I doubt anyone else living knows the style. The company of you and your friend will sufficient. New people, after these many years..."

[he gives Moira detailed description of which door is his, as apparently the building has seven or eight entrances, one for each faction of the family and he seem somewhat excited]


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

With his kiss of her hand, She turned and left, letting him see her walk with grace across the club. As she got to the exit and walked past Moira and Arlo she did not acknowledge them. She did however casually lift her hand to her face to push her some hair away.

Whisper "Moira how about you follow him, see where he goes and if he is with anyone, the intel may help"

Then she is gone.

Stealth 1d20 + 14 + 1d6 ⇒ (8) + 14 + (2) = 24


Lord Ghent walks down the main street, turns a second street and vanishes into an alley. Close inspect shows he literally vanishes, becoming suddenly invisible. [no doubt Lord Ghent is a magic user of some levels].

If anyone has see invisible, we track him from there, otherwise his trail is gone for the moment..

...

The next morning, a pigeon manages to fly through the door of the offices of the OVIUM Gazeta and land on the desk of Lady Lyra. It begins to choke and manages to throw-up a blue gem of 3/4" diameter. It cycles the office and leaves if any of the clerks manages to let it out. (if you capture it, it is an ordinary pigeon).

An inspection of the gem reveals that it contains something like a 3 dimensional diagram of gears, wheels, lasers, circuits tiny elements and other remarkable features - a clever fusion of magic and technology; ie, on first inspection this does seem like the plans of the remarkable device you witnessed earlier. This will be more than a little small challenge to analyze. Lady Lyra can begin with any appropriate seeming skill or seek Spencer or other characters or NPCs. However, the gem also has the property that only Lady Lyra can see the diagram in the gem.

This analysis is going to take some time, so we can go to Moira's action ... when she describes approaching the house.


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

Lady Lyra will close her office and tell the dwarf brothers she is going to a meeting. Then she will make her way to Moira, using the ring to locate her. When she finds her, she explains what happened and gives her the Crystal.

"I understand some of the mechanics but I don't have a clue about the arcane elements."

She says


And Moira will discover she can't see the diagram, the gem seems to be "tuned" so only Lady Lyra can view the diagrams. Lady Lyra could write what she sees, however.


Lady Lyra can work with Moira to try to understand diagrams. It will be a challenge. You can begin with knowledge engineering or knowledge arcana. It may also be that Hernard Demoivee's library provides clues.


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

Kn engineering take10+10+4=24 Kn arcana take10+10+4=24


So, to get an idea of the operations of the device, Lady Lyra must investigate it in a systematic fashion. This will require producing an array of blue prints as well producing at least a few of the more complicated light-generators in order to determine their qualities and some springs and twine to move the light around the way the mechanism might move them - and finding a suitable laboratory area. She is surprise to find that such light-generators actually can be found in several shops in Ovium, sold both as holiday lights and as guides for machinists (they are a recent innovation themselves). Still, getting sample lights of sufficient quality will likely take several days.

All this should be to get enough of a mock-up so that she and Moira can approximately guess/discover the magic aura/field involved with the device. So the final experiments will happen soon before the meeting with Lord Ghent and several days after the meeting with Hernard Demoivee.


F Human | Init +1 | AC 24 T19 FF22 CMD 25 (+2 grapple)| Hp 66/66 | Fort +17 Ref +14, Will +14 | Perception+11 (+2 vs evil outsiders) |

Arcana: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
Engineering: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18

Moira asks the group to accompany her to the Demoivee manor. "Hernard is a charmingly odd old man, but he seems deeply knowledgeable of esoterica. He's especially looking for someone to help him fix his clock, but he also requested a ten stanza Illicaster poem. Not necessary but I think it would earn us points with his Brownies."

History on Illicaster poetry: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (20) + 15 = 35


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

"I should be able to fix a mechanical clock"

she offers


The secure area of the Cup And Anchor keeps a small but focused library of Ovium's past.

Two days before, researching poetry, Moira discovers a text on the construction of Illicaster Poetry; the meter is something akin to iambic tetrameter, the verses involve the adventures of anthropomorphized animals and they an object that changes it's form but retains a single color. With this information, and a couple examples, she cobbles together a reasonable poem. Moreover, the Illicastrians were interesting people, fusing mechanical and magical effects, constructing objects and recording their constructions as poems while often destroying the objects themselves. Knowledge of this poetry gives +3 on knowledge engineering for Ovium related devices.

The Day: 3 pm, the request hour, the area around Demoivee house is notably quiet. Of all of Ovium, this area resembles most the center of a medieval city. Demoivee's residence, in the midth of this, is a large cement structure that once might have been a well designed manor but now is covered with multiple additions, stairways, doors and little outbuildings. Following the directions to Hernard's door, a knock on the door is answer by a middle person in a simple tonic, the servant Gillian, who invites you to follow them. Gillian leads the party through a maze of corridores and stairs, finally ending in a pleasant dining room, with a table already set with food. Hernard is standing at opposite end of the room, already ready to greet the group. He bows graciious and invites the party to partake in an excellent meal. The path you follow must have lead up to the top of the building because you can see the city Ovium below you.

Hernard asks for all of Moira companions introduce themselves and then the party is seated and the meal is excellent. As you eat Hernard describes the history of his family, which once ruled the city but who now might not be recognized as nobility in the current registers. He describes the history of his clock, how it once registered "what is called planar flux" but how it ceases to function maybe fifty years ago, after registering some particularly "dangerous levels".

After supper, he takes the group over to observe the clock and says, "At one time we would recite a poem at the end of the repast but with changing times, that ritual may be consigned to the past. Here is my device, will be so grateful if you can make it function"

I assume each character present introduces themselves, Moira does her poem and then the group looks at the clock. Each character roll knowledge planes or knowledge engineering for fixing. I'll take the highest roll and assume the others assist. Moira's poetic knowledge applies.


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

Lady Lyra follows and introduces herself when they sit to eat she politely declines.

Then when its time to look at the clock she nods to the others and places her hand on it. The nanite swarm comes out from her hand and moves into the clock. The fine designs on her skin begin to glow blue.

Kn Eng 1d20 + 1d6 + 10 + 3 ⇒ (12) + (5) + 10 + 3 = 30


Lady Lyra Anna Fitzroy wrote:

Lady Lyra follows and introduces herself when they sit to eat she politely declines.

Then when its time to look at the clock she nods to the others and places her hand on it. The nanite swarm comes out from her hand and moves into the clock. The fine designs on her skin begin to glow blue.

Kn Eng 30

The clocks pieces come together easily and Hernard blinks with a bit of surprise and watches as multiple dials and whirl. He then turns to Moira, saying "Why that's marvelous, what interesting methods. I believe you were interested also in my library. It's down this hallway and I believe any of you could find something to amuse yourselves with. This way, promise you'll be careful, I assume you will be. It's quite extensive, give me a clue what you're interested in and I will guide you. Most of the books are at least 500 years old so you may struggle a bit with the language, I can help there too...."


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

With help from the others, the clock seems to work once more.
Her nanite swarm comes back into her hand and she steps back.

Sorry GM meant to add she casts Make whole to fix it

She stands there a moment looking at the clock.

"Magics that make things work once more is a gift of mine. Once long ago I was trained in it"

She adds,

'Its a wonderful device"

Then to the others.

'Well now books, Spencer I bet you would like to have a look at history books. Myself do you perchance have the original designs for the clock. I would like to study them"


As Moira, Lady Lyra Anna and Arlo are visiting Hernard, new agents Anzarra and Paritosh arrive at the Cup And Anchor and are greeted by Aria and Shadow, Aria appears human, though with her skin has a slight grayish cast. She's thirty-ish proud and somewhat formal, she's obviously a fervent believer in the work of the organization and given somewhat to making speeches. Shadow is young, somewhat heavyset, rather hairy for a human but confident and has the qualities of a natural leader, keeps the Inn in order and commands the loyalty of those around him. Shadow give Anzarra and Paritosh pointers on how to establish themselves in Oviom while Aria gives them a tour of the Inn, it's secret rooms and so-forth.

Sense Motive 15:
Aria is a shape shifted infernal merefolks somewhat ashamed of her heritage and trying to live it down

Sense Motive 15:
Shadow is a shifter who's alternate form is a large cat

See page 1 for directions about how to establish your cover and your network. And the whole thread for background.


Male Gnome Ranger 9 (AC: 24[T: 12 FF: 23] CMD 21 | HP: 75/94(0NL) | F+9*, R+7*, W+5* | Init: +1 (+2 Urban) |Perc: +14*)

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 +FE Bonus
Fail

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10 +FE Bonus
Fail

Paritosh, still trying to take things in, is hoping to get to the center of the whirlwind at some point. In the mean time, he checks out the lodgings, and gets Moonbeam settled, leaving his lance and many other possessions with her.

Paritosh sets straight out afterwards, determined to find one of the local libraries he suspects must be around, and sure enough, they are.

Profession(librarian): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (9) + 13 = 22

Profession(librarian): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (3) + 13 = 16

”It will take me a bit to learn the local cataloging system, he mutters to himself, ”but being on the Inside at a library should prove invaluable for the task at hand.”

I know the post says use Bluff, Diplomacy, or Fortitude, but we librarians aren’t overly social, so how about I browse the stacks, and the newspaper clippings?

Paritosh studies some of the local daily daily’s, first to spend time working his way through local idioms, and peculiarities of the language.

Take 10 on linguistics and get an 18

Once he has a better grasp of the local lingua franca, he will start researching every little bit. Especially the “tabloids” or “strange occurrence” type publications. Any time he misses a historical reference, he will look it up.

Taking 10 on my profession for this research gives me a 23.


For this back-story stuff, I'm going forward a slightly chronologically.

On his second day at Ovium, Paritosh discovers that Villian Salvos, the head of the Mechanic's Association has an opening for a head librarian. The Association is very careful with it's literature, only allowing members of the Association access but the size of the collection has grown to the point that Villian's niece Teressa can't easily catalogue the books and diagrams.

Each shop has it's own more secret and closely guarded collection, of course but still this position, should he choose to accept, would give Paritosh considerable understanding of what the various mechanics shops are up to (something that the group has found important). Villian and and Teressa will likely watch Paritosh like a hawk, of course but could be good sources of information.

Of course, Paritosh could also search for other librarian positions.

Will provide a historical outline and some tid-bits tomorrow.

The main source for general historical matter that's readily available is the library of the Cup And Anchor, which has good quality general material but isn't especially large. Perhaps the group can negotiate a return visit to Hernard's library.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

She stood in Hernard's library. She was still getting used to using only a hard copy of things. Books and scrolls, even her newspaper and gazette. So slow, Back at home she would just log onto ship net and AI for the relevant information.

But she took the time to look at what he had. Then she looked for any information that seemed not of this plan.

She took hours of notes and then when done she thanked Hernard and asked if she could come back again soon.

any needed Kn skill she needs takes 10+10+4=24

Then she leaves and heads back to the paper.

A tall woman walking the bustling streets.

If any of the new players head to the newspaper they will find her there.


Map Female Half-Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 8 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 / T 13 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +8 / Will +6 | CMB +8 / CMD 22 | Initiative +3 | Low-Light Vision | Perception +18 | Spells 1L 2/4 2L 4/4 3L 0/2 | Bardic Performance 16/21 | Active effects: none

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 (fail)
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16 (pass)

Anzarra thanks Shadow and Aria for their help, and proceeds to go about setting up her cover as a financier who also deals in high-end black market goods on the side (no drugs, just high end things that the upper class might value).

It's kind of two covers, so throwing in four rolls. Basically she is setting herself up as upper class financier, dealing with loans to mechanics shops, but also throwing in bluff and appraise for the smuggling part.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (12) + 13 = 25
Engineering: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
Appraise: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28
Bluff: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (3) + 13 = 16


Male Gnome Ranger 9 (AC: 24[T: 12 FF: 23] CMD 21 | HP: 75/94(0NL) | F+9*, R+7*, W+5* | Init: +1 (+2 Urban) |Perc: +14*)

As the new gnome on the block, Paritosh decides to discuss his options with the more seasoned agents before accepting the job.

He presents the opportunity to them, and asks if they think he should take it, or try this other library. He also suggests the possibility of maybe used book sales, or other options that could fit his skills.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

So, one the day Moira, Arlo and Lady Lyra visit Hernard's house, Paritosh and Anzarra arrive at the Cup And Anchor and orient themselves to Ovium.

For Anzarra:

Aria lets Anzarra know that the organization has significant financial resources in this world and could advance her a line of credit to begin trading in various goods. Moreover, Moira already works for a trader, Mueller and a simple introduction is all that's needed to Anzarra started. Most of the day-to-day trading in Ovium happens on various coffee houses near the docks. The large one known as Zigblit's - the largest deals are here, the fastest deals are here. Chronets works in luxury goods, Marthin's is cheaper and shaddier. The three house are all on the same block and it is common for merchants, traders, related types to go between them.

The most common single business for traders is advancing sea captains and ship owners sufficient capital to buy goods from Ovium's various workshops, to sell the goods up and down the coast, or to buy weapons to sell down in the sea of Thearn. More money for either need always welcome but risk is high.

Aside from drugs, the most common black market trades are counterfeit goods (one workshop will create a cheap, poor-quality or dangerous versions of another workshop's goods) and tax-avoidance (workshops sometimes ship their goods overland at night for this). Anzarra hears that in the past, there was a flourishing trade in body parts, necromantic herbs and related items. But since one deal went horribly wrong recently, demands has dried almost completely The party's first caper. Rumors abound that the amazing gem of Mandor Pindaros will soon be mass produced - sea captains seek loans to expand their boat's range and other workshops planing to produce frames and related goods to display these gems to best effect. And naturally a least one house is floating the idea of counterfeit gems - how that would work is unknown.

Reminder: Lady Lyra Anna needs to locate a fair sized, very private office, to do her analysis of the plans for Mandor Pindaros' gem-machine.

Stuff for other characters in a bit.


When Paritosh returns to the Cup and Anchor on the day after he arrives and describes the job offer he received after giving Villian Salvos an impromptu lecture on cataloguing procedures, Shadow looks at him through his large, cat-like eyes. "Well, keep in mind as an agent, you have full purview in the methods you use, choices you make and the situation you set up. Keep in mind, you're setting up your situation to gather information, to be our eyes and ears. At the same time, to get The Organization strongly established here, we want cells that operate independently. You, Lady Lyra Anna, Moira, Arlo and Anzarra are a cell. You tell us just what we need to know, we tell you just you need to know. Currently I pretty much know everything you do but that needs to change, over time. Without this kind of security, one charm person and we are screwed. The organization has learned harsh lessons. A riddle; why does the organization have no name? Why people are who know little but just enough our operatives?" He sighs, he obviously hating giving lectures. "Now, the job, as librarian of the Mechanics association, sounds ideal, wonderful, perfect for us. The quick advance of technology in the plane, in conjuncture with apparent activities of the Dark Traders, is key, important, something I think you need to focus. But I can't tell you take it. Not my department. Up to you." He pauses, yawns, showing remarkable sharp teeth. " Also, do Gnomes like ale? I hear that they do. Let us visit the taverns to the South of the docks. I hear their brew has just matured. We can forget about all this and you can make your decision in the morning. If being booking peddler appeals to your free spirit, by all means do it." He drags to Paritosh to a variety of tavern, drinking, without seem drunk, to such an extent that Paritosh begins to doubt he is human.

Also, Shadow mentions Paritosh should contact Lady Lyra as soon as possible. Have a long chat. She should be the one to orient him. Point him towards her office - the next day, once the drinking it done.


Lady Lyra Anna, is there are particular subject you would like to research in Hernard's library? Moira is researching the mythical beginnings of this plane. Anyway, Remember will soon completing your research on the device and visiting Peter Ghent. And you've heard at least rumors of new agents arriving who will soon contact you.


Map Female Half-Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 8 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 / T 13 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +8 / Will +6 | CMB +8 / CMD 22 | Initiative +3 | Low-Light Vision | Perception +18 | Spells 1L 2/4 2L 4/4 3L 0/2 | Bardic Performance 16/21 | Active effects: none

I thought a financier was different than a merchant/trader (at least they were different on the list-?), but I'm cool with whatever... if this fits best, then I'll run with it.

Since Moira already works for a trader, Anzarra will work on getting on at a different one. Her first choices is Chronets, since they deal in luxury goods, and she thinks that a good smuggling cover specializing in tax avoidance would fit best with that clientele. She'll of course do most of her business above-board, but when it seems appropriate, she'll suggest other services in order to make contacts with the white-collar type criminals in the city.

Are we going to have an official meeting where we introduce ourselves / get to know the group? If not, I can jump in and go and find them wherever they are... just wasn't sure what the plan was.

Also, we were told that the transition could change us. Did it?


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

Is not her top floor private space not big enough to do the research in? it's way she got the space in the 1st place

As for what she researches, well there is not much time, so the clock thing seemed to tell of disturbances in the plane. It may have stopped the shadow traders came, so she will research that, I did ask about plans and another alien-looking tech

Lady Laya knowing new agents are coming will head out and find them.


F Human | Init +1 | AC 24 T19 FF22 CMD 25 (+2 grapple)| Hp 66/66 | Fort +17 Ref +14, Will +14 | Perception+11 (+2 vs evil outsiders) |

Moira reads her poem to the group with a dramatic flair. Perform Oratory: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (11) + 14 = 25 Apologies that I havent had the time to compose an actual poem yet.

She can also try to help with the clock Planes: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (17) + 15 = 32

Once admitted to the library, she does her research on the immortals. History: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (3) + 15 = 18


Male Dwarf|HP: 123/123|DR 3/-|AC: 25 (12 Tch, 24 Fl)||CMB: +15, CMD: 27|F: +14, R: +10, W: +12|Init: +2|Smite evil +4, +14 to damage, +4 deflection bonus to AC, 4x/day|Retribution (Su) 7x/day Paladin (Tortured Crusader)/10th/Godling (mighty)/3rd|Speed 20ft (20ft)|Lay on Hands 8/8x/day, 5d6

Arlo accompanies the group like always; keeping to himself, yet always alert for ambush or attack. The dwarf gets deep in his cups as the night progresses.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Note: Moira works for Mueller, one of the larger trades. Anzarra is setting up herself as a trader, a business person risking her capital in trade - not working for anyone. Chronets is one of the three Coffee houses that serve as centers of trade and finance in the city (For reference Lloyds Coffee House)

If Lady Lyra has a large in her print shop, that will do for the blue prints

Assume that on the second day after the new agents arrive, when Paritosh and Anzarra have made a decent start at setting themselves up, everyone finally arrives at the Ovium Gazetta offices, Lady Lyra takes you into the secure area of the paper and you formally introduce yourselves and speak at length.

The meeting with Lord Ghent is coming up so preparations for that may be in order.


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

As they get to the newspaper's offices, the find a hive of activity.
A front desk with a gnome sitting behind it. Mr Dill, a scribe and bookkeeper.

Standing around or sitting in a number of the general public. Most waiting to be called. Some seeking to sell stories and titbits of gossip that are not already known. Some there to place notices or adverts in the paper.

Some there upset about what was in the paper and seeking to put things straight. For them waiting by the door was a large half-orc in a suit and bowler hat. Mr Rippin, who will when needed by Mr Dill show someone the door and street beyond.

Behind them are a number of officers of copy artists and writers for the paper and Gazzetta.

Past them are stairs leading up to the printing floor, there two dwarf brothers work with the printing press. Text setting and rolling out the wide sheets of paper. They also seem to live on this floor.

More stairs up to the editor's rooms and office. Lady Liya

as you get to this floor, she is there to greet each of you as you arrive.

Lady Liya stands some 7' tall, her manner is polite but at times cold.
She does not seem to blink often and at times she is too still.

Kn eng or Planes DC25:

Her body is synthetic, she is a very well made human-like construct of unknown origin.

Once on the top floor of her printing house, she shows you to her office, in which had been set out a fine buffet meal with wine, and beer aplenty.

On the walls of her offices are the plans and designs.

On a table some weapons of some kind, odd-looking.

Kn20 Tech/eng:

They are advanced firearms and some kind of explosive devices.
It looks like she has been working on them.


Map Female Half-Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 8 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 / T 13 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +8 / Will +6 | CMB +8 / CMD 22 | Initiative +3 | Low-Light Vision | Perception +18 | Spells 1L 2/4 2L 4/4 3L 0/2 | Bardic Performance 16/21 | Active effects: none

Knowledge Engineering: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28 (pass)
Knowledge Engineering: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21 (pass)

Anzarra keeps her eyes open, and notes some interesting things about her team member and her things. To her, those things just make her a better operative though, and she seems impressed.

She enjoys the buffet, but looks to see if there is something non-alcoholic to drink.

Once everyone is there, she asks

So, how do we normally coordinate activity, and is there anything I can do to contribute to your current goals?


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

She notes Anzarra checking her and her things out but says nothing.

"We have rings that let us communicate. Shadow should have given them to you when he did the induction."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Gnome Ranger 9 (AC: 24[T: 12 FF: 23] CMD 21 | HP: 75/94(0NL) | F+9*, R+7*, W+5* | Init: +1 (+2 Urban) |Perc: +14*)

Paritosh is used to racial stereotypes about gnomes and their drinking, and other even worse ones. He, however, does not partake, having a case of early onset gout, which alcohol tends to really exacerbate. For him, it isn’t a moral or religious concern to avoid drinking, simply one of physical wellbeing for his own sake. He is, however, happy to partake in tobacco, usually via cigars, or pipes, and he carries a nice cigar cutting knife, as well as a pipe packer and lighter. Paritosh takes the time to observe Shadow, as they carouse, and soaks in what background information he can. In the end, he determines that he will take the opportunity to embark on a longheld dream of his, to open his own bookstore, and coffee and donut shop. Interestingly enough, no one in this world had ever discovered donuts, so Paritosh intends to bring his favorite confection to brighten the lives of its inhabitants. ”You can’t have civilization without donuts,” he quips.

Paritosh knows, books and donuts, but not coffee so much. After looking around a bit…

Knowledge (geography): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (9) + 13 = 22

Paritosh determines that the area around the Lower Acres might be a good spot for such an establishment. A considerable number of the local intelligentsia live in that area, and if he provides them a spot to drink coffee, eat donuts, read, gossip, and swap books, he might be in a position to have the intelligence the organization needs come right to his doorstep.

Profession(librarian): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27

Using some seed money from the organization, Paritosh manages to secure a lease on a storefront, which has both a cellar, and a pair of apartments upstairs. Needing a decent collection of books to start that side of the business, he is able to procure a sizable collection from an estate sale following the death of a gentlemen whose children have no interest in learning, and solely want money to carouse and live the good life.

For the coffee and donuts side of his business, Paritosh had no trouble finding Antonia, a human widow with 3 children, and her mother Patricia. Both were able of body and mind, and Paritosh felt, could be counted on to run the coffee side of the business, once he passed along some donut recipes, whle he focused on books, and gossip. Patricia’s brother happened to be a carpenter, so much of the refurbishment of the shop would be accomplished “within the family,” so to speak. Included in that would be the sign out front stating “Gnosh and Tosh,” and various signs painted on the large paned glass window describing what was to be found within, and just what a donut is! With the two ladies, and the children, moved in to the first apartment upstairs, and Antonia set to start sourcing coffee beans, cups, plates, and donut supplies, Paritosh returned to "HQ" as he thinks of it and reports his progress.

---------------------

When he arrives at the newspaper at the appointed time, Paritosh was pleased to meet Mr. Dill, and to learn of his skills. ”I might try and hire that guy away,” Paritosh thinks to himself. ”Be nice to have another gentlegnome around.”

Knowledge (planes): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20

After filling a plate full from the buffet, and pouring himself a glass lemonade, Paritosh finds himself an unobtrusive corner from which to observe the interplay.

After listening to the conversation between Anzarra and the exceptionally tall human, so he had learned to call them, Paritosh decided to interject, "no such mention of rings was made, nor actual rings proffered." He goes to extend his hand in the standard gesture, wondering if such is used on this world when he spots a gob of mustard on the heel of his hand, which he wipes on his trousers, and extends it again. "Paritosh Jumbal, at your service mam."


Map Female Half-Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 8 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 / T 13 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +8 / Will +6 | CMB +8 / CMD 22 | Initiative +3 | Low-Light Vision | Perception +18 | Spells 1L 2/4 2L 4/4 3L 0/2 | Bardic Performance 16/21 | Active effects: none

A donut shop is awesome. :)

Yeah, I didn't get a ring. I just remembered that I got a souvenir hat from Giorgio though...

in-game description was: bowler style, spinning ring, glows in the dark, folds to 1"x1"

She pulls it out, unfolds it, and tries it on.

How do I look?

Since traders just work out of coffee houses, I think I am going to work out of the donut shop. Will that work?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Gnome Ranger 9 (AC: 24[T: 12 FF: 23] CMD 21 | HP: 75/94(0NL) | F+9*, R+7*, W+5* | Init: +1 (+2 Urban) |Perc: +14*)

I cannot begin to tell you how appalled Paritosh was when he discovered the lack of donuts on this world! Anzarra is welcome to spend time at the donut shop, but I don't believe we're quite ready to be a Wifi cafè! Maybe in a hundred years? I'm a gnome, and she's a half-elf, so we can wait the technology out.

Paritosh assesses the hat on Anzarra's head, and observes, "the attention to detail is superb. He never had you fitted for that hat, right? Because the way the brim is cut perfectly to allow for your ears to protrude through is simply masterful in its execution. A Master Haberdasher would have been needed to construct such a chapeau. You should be considered dapper and dashing on any world, to be sure!"


Any of the earlier party members would remember that Shadow kept whatever rings remained. Anzarra and Paritosh will likely consult Shadow somewhat later and he will apologize for having forgotten and give you each one of the whisper rings.



The way that traders operating in a coffee shop works is that groups of traders sit together or apart, at the various tables, exchanging gossip and deals. The owners of the coffee shops supply runners to send messages, information on prevailing weather and a variety of other services. A merchant, a manufacturing shop owner or a sea captain walks into one of coffee houses and gets a variety financing deals from different traders at different tables, He knows he's getting a good deal since she or he can immediately check with other tables for other options.
If Anzarra wishes to set up in a fried-dumpling/"donut" shop, she could do that, persuading the owner of the shop to also supply similar services to traders and attracting enough other traders so that those seeking finance could walk in and get it (the donuts are a draw!). Trade and finance in 17th century Earth and present day Ovium operate with apparent informality. There some impressive buildings - the exchange where good and stock and sold but most finance involves no bureaucracy, just people walking around making deals.


Lyra Anna Fitzroy Investigator AC 23(27)/FF19(23)/T17(21) CMD 33 | F+12 R+16 W+16 | HP 133/133| Per+33 | Init+5 | Insp 15/15

I will she, give her name when you arrived, to save time.

You note that Lady Lyra does not eat or drink anything at the meeting.
But just juts sips from a glass of some light amber-like substance. It seems viscus like runny honey.

with talk about rings, she takes off her ring and hands
Moira.

"We have three between us, Moira. I don't think shadow would be upset if we loaned one to the new team members for a short while. It's better to have team communication. They can return it when they get theirs."

Then when the hat comes out.

"That is a fine hat may I see it"

If handed to her she will study it.

"Magic, I really have little understanding of it."

She hands it back.

"Which leads me to the schematics you see around you and our next mission. But I will leave that our team leader Moira to explain, She knows more than me about the ins and outs of it."

She takes a sip and changes the subject.

"So then what are your plans for establishing yourself here?"


Male Gnome Ranger 9 (AC: 24[T: 12 FF: 23] CMD 21 | HP: 75/94(0NL) | F+9*, R+7*, W+5* | Init: +1 (+2 Urban) |Perc: +14*)

Paritosh pulls out a half smoked cigar, "do you mind," he asks? Upon confirming that no one will be offended, he lights up before proceeding, "well, on my homeworld I was a librarian of some renown. While the notoriety itself makes no matter here, the skills gained will translate quite well, I believe." He takes a puff, and exhales, before proceeding. "I have taken the liberty of securing a sizable collection of books. The previous owner had eclectic tastes, and some of them were more rare than others. In addition to functioning as an excellent starting inventory for a book shop, they will also help me to catch up on several hundred years of history, culture, geography, etc. for this world. One couldn't expect to pass oneself off as a bibliophile, without being able to talk that talk, so I have a good amount of catching up to do, on a number of topics." He taps off some ashes into a bowl, and continues on, "Additionally, I was quite surprised to find that this world is simply ignorant of donuts, and possibly other pastries, but we're not here to solve all of their gastronomic problems are we? Well, I have employed a widow, and her mother, to provide a coffee and donut shop atmosphere to go along with the book store."

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22

A look of surprise and horror comes over Paritosh's face, "wait! Am I to understand that some of you are also unfamiliar with donuts? Those little pills of sugar, goodness, and happiness that are so ubiquitous on my world?" Upon confirming this, he promises, "well, once the shop is up and running, I shall be sure to bring in several nonets worth. Nonets of donuts are the traditional sales size on my world. Supposedly, back in history there was a fellow who would steal them, and he could carry 1 on each finger, for they have holes in them you see, and then his last two fingers were used to hold the one he was currently eating. Thus, he had an entirety of nine donuts, a nonet of donuts, in the usual parlance. Anyways, a couple nonets should do for this assemblage I should think. Which reminds me, I need to research fruits, berries, creams, and nuts on this world to see about making filled donuts and toppings." Paritosh pulls out a small notepad and jots down notes to himself to that effect.

"Now, are there other questions that you have on this, or suggestions? Any specifics on how I can help the greater good?"


Map Female Half-Elf Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 8 | HP 58/58 | AC 18 / T 13 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +8 / Will +6 | CMB +8 / CMD 22 | Initiative +3 | Low-Light Vision | Perception +18 | Spells 1L 2/4 2L 4/4 3L 0/2 | Bardic Performance 16/21 | Active effects: none

Anzarra responds to Lady Lyra

I was looking at setting up as a trader, and I actually think the best idea might be to invest in a ship. Hiring a small crew would be useful for smuggling, as well as a good home base and a way to get to know the sea captains.

When Paritosh starts lighting up, Anzarra says

No offense, but I would prefer that you didn't. It isn't very good for my lungs. Perhaps you could smoke on the balcony?

After he talks about the donut business she says

How fascinating, and an excellent idea to bring such interesting delicacies here.

Anzarra examines the different schematics, looking forward to hearing about the next mission.

251 to 300 of 4,851 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Arrival at the city of Ovium (Chapter 1) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.