JohnnyBlack's Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition

Game Master JohnnyBlack

"A new cathedral!"
You haven't been at Sandpoint in many years (or ever) but the news of the consecration of the new cathedral, on the Swallowtail Festival day, convinces you to go be there. You pack your few belongings, say goodbye to your friends and family, and get ready for the long journey up the lost coast.
You couldn't imagine that it would be the most important decision of your life.


151 to 200 of 378 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

Male Human Nerd 11

Do you say the word Szcarni?


HP 9/13 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 16 | F +4, R +5, W +2 | perception +6*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

I wasn’t sure how much of that conversation you would want to role play; given your question, I’ll jump right to the meat of it...

Lief nods deferentially to the caravan master and begins to speak as the man who introduced him walks away, ”thanks for hearing me out, I’m sorry to bother you while you’re busy getting ready to set out, but I was wondering if there was any chance we could push things a bit today and really try to make Sandpoint tonight? You see, a few of the partying Varisians traveling with us told me that they’re going to rob the old woman whose carriage I’ve been traveling with, because apparently robbery is how they make their living... they’ve tried to sneak up to the carriage twice and I caught them both times, but the second time, last night, they said they were going to kill whoever tried to stop them next time...”


Male Human Nerd 11

This way works.
The caravan master face gets pale and starts looking around. He fixes his sight on the Szcarni group.
"I feared they were no good. Yes, it would be best if we hurry up and arrive at Sandpoint as fast as we are able. Thanks for letting me know. Now please excuse me, I need to make sure we set up as fast as we can."
He returns to the caravan to hurry up everybody.


M Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Fighter) 1

Anton nods to Foxglove. "Sir, it would be wise to follow up with the nice Ulfen. Danger rarely ends after one night. May I?"


Anton Ionescu wrote:
Anton nods to Foxglove. "Sir, it would be wise to follow up with the nice Ulfen. Danger rarely ends after one night. May I?"

Aldern, looking at a couple Varisian Girls, don't turn to see Anton Ionescu when answering him.

"Yes, Master Ionescu, that seems like a good idea."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M'ara Human Witch 1 AC:17/17/14 HP:3/7 F:+1 R: +3 W: +2 Init: +3 Perception: +0

--- During the nightshift --

M'ara joins Lief for her scheduled stint at guarding the old people's wagon. She nods to the Ulfen man, taking up station a short distance away where she can see both him and the wagon.

When the szcarni man appears to try to woo Lief, M'ara return's the man's off-color compliment with a stony stare. As his blandishments for Lief continue, she takes the time to take the Ulfen's measure. A big man for sure, as most of his countrymen are, she admires his broad shoulders and well muscled frame...but what she admires most is his no-nonsense response to the szcarni's immoral requests. A good man, this Lief she thinks to herself, then chides herself as her thought go in a more inappropriate direction.

When their shift ends, she approaches Lief and says , "That was well said, you do yourself honor in protecting those without."

She then takes her leave as the others relieve them of thier posts.

--- In the morning ---

She smiles at Lief's thanks, and says "I have no issue with pushing on to Sandpoint..." then helps break camp for the day's journey.


Male Human Nerd 11

The mood of the caravan is completely different this day, with distrust heavy on the air. The Sczarni group goes to the back of the caravan, just before the sourly dwarf that refuses to leave his post at the very end of it. In front of the Sczarni are the Bâlans, who in an unasked show of solidarity put their wagons between the Sczarni and Lief's wagon. Anton Chauvelle and Livia Taviskin in the first wagon, while Delin Chiri and M'ara are in the last of the Bâlans wagons, keeping a close watch on the Szcarni. And Ruperto Zingari, the Szcarni leader, keeps a close watch on M'ara, a smile on his lips while he tries to make eye contact with the Shoanti woman.
In front of the Bâlans rides Lief Stoutspear, keeping himself between the Sczarni and the wagon he protects. The old woman, and whoever or whatever is in the wagon too, rides inside it, curtains closed as always. The drivers nervous, knowing they are in a risky position. In front of the wagon, as escorts, are Aldern Foxglove, Etna Venus Van Ash and Anton Ionescu. Aldern generously paid the caravan master for a horse for Etna to ride, not accepting the tall woman to go walking while they had horses to ride.
And just before the main caravan group is The Magician, Zomeraand walking next to Lucky Pete, who prudently tries to keep as far from the Szcarni and Lief's wagon as possible without looking too afraid to be near them.
The morning passes uneventful, while the caravan makes a good time.


Around noon Lucky Pete talks to The Magician, Zomeraand, startling him, as the porter has been very quiet all day.
"We will need to stop for lunch soon, boss, 'ven 'f 'arly. Would be dangerous 'n the Brinestump Marsh. Goblins there. Better tell your friends."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 9/13 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 16 | F +4, R +5, W +2 | perception +6*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

***last night***
Lief seems a bit embarrassed by M’ara’s praise. ”Oh, uh, thanks,” he answers, ” I’m not sure there’s much special honor in just looking out for people, we should all be doing that, right? I mean, you’re doing it right now too!”

”I just don’t get people like that... what kind of person makes their living preying on others? They’re like human goblins...”

***in the morning***
Lief nods and thanks the caravan master, then hurries back to the carriage. He works fast to finish breaking camp and when the unpleasant old woman sticks her head out to check on him he informs her, ”I talked to the caravan master and we’re going to move a little faster today and, if all goes well, we should reach Sandpoint tonight. Hopefully that’ll be the end of your trouble with the sczarni.”

As soon as he’s finished breaking camp he hops on the horse he’s been provided and begins shadowing the carriage, and scanning the crowds. Whenever he makes eye contact with one of his comrades from the previous night he smiles and gives a nod or wave, but he carefully marks the locations of everyone he’s seen partying with sczarni.

edit: ninja’d, but I think everything still works (just pretend I posted it right before the GM instead of right after).


Male Human Nerd 11

A little time after that, while transversing a narrow part of the road with a cliff on the right and a 20 -30 feet gorge on the left, disaster happens!
DM Roll: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21

Perception Check DC 21:
There! On the cliff! There is somebody there with a blowpipe!

One of the horses of the wagon that Lief is guarding blots! It rears and pushes the wagon towards the gorge! One of the drivers falls from the wagon and drops between the horses, while the other tries to control the vehicle.
It all happens in a second, and the next thing you know one of the horses is already about to fall into the gorge, while the other, panicked, keeps pushing one way and the other.
Female screams are heard from inside the wagon, which seems to be only seconds away to drop into the void!
You have two rounds! The first one will allow you to reach the wagon if you want, and the second one will let you do something. Fast! There is no time!


HP 9/13 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 16 | F +4, R +5, W +2 | perception +6*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

Lief Spurs his horse on after the out of control carriage, whistling and clicking at the spooked horses pulling it. When he gets close enough he leans over to grab one rein and draws it back in an attempt to stop them...

handle animal: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
I wasn’t sure if I should use this or ride... it would be a 25 if you prefer ride


Male Human Nerd 11

Nice riding!
While Lief controls the spooked horse, the other one is about to fall in the gorge!


Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 1 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 10/10 l F +1 R +2 W +3 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7


Male Human Nerd 11

Just to clarify, the perception check is to see the guy in the cliff, you all see and hear the wagon commotion and can act about it.


M Human Fighter (Weapon Master) 1 | HP 7/11 | AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | Fort +2 Ref +4 Will +2 | Init +10 | Perception +1

Seeing that the Ulfen guard (was his name Leaf..?) has the horse-things under control, our daring hero (as he calls himself) jumps off the front of the Balan's wagon to try opening a way for the lady inside to escape.

Strength check against the door of the wagon: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18


Male Human Nerd 11

Anton forces the door of the wagon, but instead of finding the old woman, he finds himself face to face with a young beautiful woman, in elegant garb, afraid and trying to keep herself steady inside the wagon.
Image of the girl
And yes, the old woman is farther away inside the wagon. But Anton doesn't have eyes for her right now.


"Help us! Please!"


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 1 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 10/10 l F +1 R +2 W +3 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Zomeraand turns to see the wild horses charging down the road at him, as well as Lucky Pete. He steps to the side of the road, nudging Pete with him

"Arcus Langourem!" he shouts extending his hands at the approaching horses as soon as they get into range of his magic.

(Casting color spray at the oncoming horses.)


M Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Fighter) 1

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
ride: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

Anton tries to get his horse to ride alongside the carriage horses in hopes to help calm them down.


Male Human Nerd 11

Horse Will Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
The Magician Zomeraand magic hits the horse Lief has not controlled, in full force, and drops it unconsciously.
Into the gorge.
It starts dragging the wagon down with it.


Lucky Pete, without thinking, jumps to grab the horse Lief controlled, trying to avoid the wagon to fall, or in any case, giving it more time for the passengers to get out!
Lucky Pete Str Check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Lucky Pete's muscles bulge and you all see how his feet slip, inch by inch, into the gorge, as he is delaying the fall, but unable to prevent it by himself.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Nerd 11
Anton Ionescu wrote:
Anton tries to get his horse to ride alongside the carriage horses in hopes to help calm them down.

Anton, you can use your roll to help Lucky Pete. If you do that, you prevent the wagon from falling on this round. Or does he tries to do something else?


M Human Fighter (Weapon Master) 1 | HP 7/11 | AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | Fort +2 Ref +4 Will +2 | Init +10 | Perception +1

ninja'd by about 4 posts xD

Anton says to the young lady "Climb out now!", then runs around to help the stocky man trying to keep the wagon on the road.

Strength to assist Lucky Pete: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12


Male Human Nerd 11

In cinematic terms, in slow motion. It will fall into the gorge in the next round, but it seems like years to your characters. if Anton Ionescu (or anyone else) helps Lucky Pete, you get at least another round.


M Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Fighter) 1
JohnnyBlack wrote:
Anton Ionescu wrote:
Anton tries to get his horse to ride alongside the carriage horses in hopes to help calm them down.
Anton, you can use your roll to help Lucky Pete. If you do that, you prevent the wagon from falling on this round. Or does he tries to do something else?

Anton definitely helps lucky Pete!


M'ara Human Witch 1 AC:17/17/14 HP:3/7 F:+1 R: +3 W: +2 Init: +3 Perception: +0

[ooc]not sure she can accomplish all of this...[ooc]

M'ara jumps from her wagon with her pack, pulling her rope from it as she runs.

Getting to the stricken wagon, she ties her rope to something structural, then looks about for someone mounted to toss the rope to....so they can wrap around saddle horn and slow the wagons precipitous descent....


Male Human Nerd 11
Anton Ionescu wrote:
JohnnyBlack wrote:
Anton Ionescu wrote:
Anton tries to get his horse to ride alongside the carriage horses in hopes to help calm them down.
Anton, you can use your roll to help Lucky Pete. If you do that, you prevent the wagon from falling on this round. Or does he tries to do something else?
Anton definitely helps lucky Pete!

Between Anton and Lucky Pete they keep the wagon from falling!

You will have another round tomorrow to save the women.


Male Human Nerd 11
M'ara wrote:

M'ara jumps from her wagon with her pack, pulling her rope from it as she runs.

Getting to the stricken wagon, she ties her rope to something structural, then looks about for someone mounted to toss the rope to....so they can wrap around saddle horn and slow the wagons precipitous descent....

M'ara ties the rope to the rear wagon axle and turns to throw the rope to...

Anyone? Must be somebody who is mounted and has not acted yet...Extra points if he/she knows how to ride!


... Aldern Foxglove!
"M'ara! Get the woman out the wagon!"


HP 9/13 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 16 | F +4, R +5, W +2 | perception +6*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

I just want to make sure I have this all clear... so far: one of the two horses pulling the carriage has fallen off the edge of a cliff, but is still attached to its harness and threatens to drag the whole carriage over the edge (and is unconscious thanks to color spray, lol); I’ve calmed the other horse; several people are helping hold the carriage (and horse) up a little bit longer; and a few more are helping the people inside get out... is that correct?

As his traveling companions struggle to keep the carriage from falling, Lief pulls on the rein again and instructs the now calmed horse to help drag the carriage back onto the path.
ride: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23


Male Human Nerd 11
Lief Stoutspear wrote:
I just want to make sure I have this all clear...

Yes, you got it clear and beat me to it... Check the summary next.

==========================
Recapping Round 1
One of the horses of the wagon rears up unexpectedly just while you are crossing next to a gorge. One of the horses has already fallen down the border and is dragging the wagon on a 25 feet fall. One of the drivers fell below the horses, and you don't know his status, the other is about to jump from the wagon. Anton Chauvelle is at the door of the wagon, seeing a mysterious and previously unseen young woman and the old woman you already knew. Lief Stoutspear is trying to control the wagon horse that has not fallen yet (but is about to). Anton Ionescu and Lucky Pete are trying to prevent the wagon to go down, but they are losing ground inch by inch. M'ara tied up a rope to the rear axle, and Aldern Foxglove is helping to prevent the wagon from going down. The Magician Zomeraand, on foot, and Etna Venus Van Ash, mounted, are at the front.
Delin Chiri and Livia Taviskin are nowhere to be seen. If they react this round, they will spend it reaching the wagon and will be able to help the next one, if still able.
===============================
Next Round!
The wagon is being dragged down! It will fall unless you manage to prevent it from falling.
To prevent the wagon from falling, you need a Strength DC 26 Check. To lift the horse up and save the wagon you need a Strength DC 32 Check. To make it easy, the highest roll we get will be the "main" check, and the others, if over DC 10, will "aid" with a +2 bonus. To make horses help, you need a Handle Animal "Push" DC 12 check.
To get the woman out of the wagon will need some action on your part, as they are panicking and will not get out by themselves.

===============================
Lief's actions.
Lief skillfully leads the scared horse to pull the wagon away from the gorge.
Your roll but instead of Ride +7 using Handle Animal +4, you get it!
Now you need to roll the Horse Strenght check, which is 1d20+5.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Half Elf (Varisian) Witch/1

Delin notices M'ara leaping from the wagon and tying a rope to the read axle, so for her part she jumps down and looks about for something to tie the rope too. Even better if they could use it as a pulley.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

If she spots something appropriate she will call out to Ma'ra and point out where to come with the rope, saving her precious time. Then, she will aid her in either tying it secure or pulling with the leverage gained by using something solid.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 1 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 10/10 l F +1 R +2 W +3 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Not sure of what else he can do help, Zomeraand moves up next to
Lucky Pete and grabs hold of the wagon, digging in his heals and pulling as hard as he can.

Strength Check, assist: 1d20 ⇒ 3


HP 9/13 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 16 | F +4, R +5, W +2 | perception +6*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

horse Str check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21


I only got a decent bonus in perception, nothing really for ride

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17


Male Human Nerd 11
Lief Stoutspear wrote:
Horse Str check 21

Lief makes the horse pull the wagon away from the gorge. The hooves slip on the muddy road, but he expertly makes it pull more and more...

Delin Chiri wrote:
Delin notices M'ara leaping from the wagon and tying a rope to the read axle, so for her part, she jumps down and looks about for something to tie the rope too. Even better if they could use it as a pulley.

While moving from the Bâlans wagon to the place of the accident, Delin realises the Szcarni group is going down the gorge with ropes.

The Magician, Zomeraand wrote:
Not sure of what else he can do help, Zomeraand moves up next to Lucky Pete and grabs hold of the wagon, digging in his heels and pulling as hard as he can.

Lucky Pete smiles at seeing Zomeraand efforts. Motivated, instead of dropping the wagon, Pete puts his strength to it too.

Lucky Pete's Strenght Check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Etna Venus Van Ash wrote:
I only got a decent bonus in perception, nothing really for ride

She can always get down the horse and pull!

Aldern Foxglove tries to make his horse pull the wagon too.
Handle Animal Check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
But his horse falters and starts being dragged down with the wagon. Aldern, scared, drops the rope M'ara gave him!
So far you have a DC 23 check. 3 more and you keep the wagon from falling from another round!


M'ara Human Witch 1 AC:17/17/14 HP:3/7 F:+1 R: +3 W: +2 Init: +3 Perception: +0

If no one mounted cones to her aid, M'ara merely begins to pull on her rope calling out to any able to help her.

Str: 1d20 ⇒ 12


Male Human Nerd 11
M'ara wrote:
If no one mounted cones to her aid, M'ara merely begins to pull on her rope calling out to any able to help her.

The muscles of the Shoanti woman tense as she pulls with all of her might.

DC 25! One more and you get the round!


Female Half Elf (Varisian) Witch/1

Deli walks over to the ropes lining the edge of the gorge and looks down. Then, she draws her knife and holds the point to her forefinger. The tip of the blade presses against the underside of her fingertip, but draws no blood. Then, she kneels down and brings the blade past the lip to settle under one of the climbing ropes, taunt with weight. Looking at the person dangling from it she thinks of a good question.

"Which of you hatched this plan?" she calls down.


Ruperto, hanging from the rope, smiles at Delin Chiri.
"I love brave girls. Are you brave enough to make us all fall to die or get hurt? For what?"
He inclines his head smiling innocently.
"We just want to help anyone who falls, you know?"
He looks at Delin's eyes, unafraid.


Female Half Elf (Varisian) Witch/1

"So it was you." she replies in Varisian, "You come here and answer for this." Then she begins to bring her knife to his climbing rope.

"I suggest you hurry." she adds.


Ruperto turns to the others and, in Varisian, tells them to continue. He starts climbing back up.
"Do you know what happened to the child that chased the goose?"
He is referring to a Varisian children's tale about not going looking for trouble. Once up, he raised his hands.
"I surrender! Please don't hurt me! I have done anything wrong!"
His smile is as charming as it can be.


M'ara Human Witch 1 AC:17/17/14 HP:3/7 F:+1 R: +3 W: +2 Init: +3 Perception: +0

Then do something right, and help pull this wagon! M'ara snarls between clenched teeth.


Female Half Elf (Varisian) Witch/1

Delin does her best to glower at the man. Again her dagger pokes at her fingertip. "Clearly you learned the wrong lesson from that story to be causing this mess." she scolds, "Esmeralda will know better than I what you deserve for these antics. You already have people thinking we are all robbers. Hurry up, before we are seen." She gestures back the way she came.


Male Human Nerd 11

Botting Anton Ionescu and Anton Chauvelle
Both Antons try to help prevent the wagon from falling into the gorge.
Anton Chuvelle STR Check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Anton Ionescu STR Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15


Male Human Nerd 11

Recapping round 2
With the concerted efforts of Lief Stoutspear, both Antons, Aldern Foxglove, The Magician Zomeraand, and Lucky Pete, the wagon stops sliding into the gorge. They all smile, alleviated, just when the wagon starts sliding again when Aldern Foxglove loses control of his horse and drops the rope he was using to drag it. M'ara reacts and grabs hold of the rope and starts pulling with all her strength and stops the wagon again, but it seems almost impossible to prevent it from falling in the next seconds.
Even as M'ara asks for help, the rest of the caravan keeps their distance, not willing to risk being dragged by the wagon into the gorge.
Your characters are the heroes of the adventure, after all!
While this is happening Delin Chiri makes Ruperto Zingari go with her to see Esmeralda Bâlan. The other Sczarni are descending into the gorge.
===============================
Next round!
The wagon driver that is on top of the wagon jumps to save himself.
Jump Check: 1d20 ⇒ 3
Both the women in the wagon are panicking, and screams for somebody to help them!
The wagon slides, inch by inch, into the gorge, and a 25' fall.
You know the drill, to prevent the wagon from falling, you need a Strength DC 26 Check. To lift the horse up and save the wagon you need a Strength DC 34 Check (harder now). The highest STR roll we get will be the "main" check, and the others, if over DC 10, will "aid" with a +2 bonus. To make horses help, you need a Handle Animal "Push" DC 12 check.
To get the woman out of the wagon will need some action on your part, as they are panicking and will not get out by themselves. And your characters have realized now that you will need to get them out of the wagon, quickly!


HP 9/13 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 16 | F +4, R +5, W +2 | perception +6*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

”That other horse is gonna drag the whole blasted thing down!” Lief shouts as he draws his sword. Nudging his own horse as close as he dares, the Ulfen slides his blade under the harness holding the unconscious horse and cuts it free.

sorry, girl, but letting you fall may save your buddy and these people

He watches with a frown as the horse tumbles into the gorge.

I can’t guide the other horse to pull now, but the DC to pull the carriage up without the unconscious horse should be way lower. And, someone else could try to move the horse.


Male Human Nerd 11

Not a bad idea, but it will take you more time...
1) Get down the horse
2) Move into position to cut
3) Make the sunder check
It will take you at least 2 rounds...
Want to do the cutting? Or keep pushing the other horse to prevent the wagon from falling?


HP 9/13 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 16 | F +4, R +5, W +2 | perception +6*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

I wrote a whole post and my phone ate it... so I’ll just have the horse pull again

handle animal: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

151 to 200 of 378 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / JohnnyBlack's Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.