JohnnyBlack's Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition

Game Master JohnnyBlack

Goblin Attack!
The new cathedral consecration ceremony gets interrupted by a surprise goblin attack!
Combat Map


251 to 300 of 548 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

M'ara wrote:
At the girls last pronouncement of a reward, she steps forward and puts her arm around the girl's heaving shoulders, "Now, now....enough of that. You've been through a lot. Let's get up up on this wagon and comfortable..." she says gently, slow moving the girl towards the Bâlan's wagon, calling out to Esmerelda for help.

Stella hangs out to M'ara as if about to faint.

"So sorry! Thanks for saving me! I would... oh gods... had you not go into the wagon! You were so brave! I'm sorry!"
Esmeralda helps comfort her, ignoring the discussion with the Szcarni outside, and gives a calming tea to Stella, which refuses to let M'ara go.
The bad news is that it won't be enough space for Stella in the wagons. She will need to walk. And at a cursory glance, M'ara realices Stella has never done something similar, and her clothes and specially her soft shoes are not ready for it. And it doesn't seem like the equestrian type to you.
M'ara realises what a completely different life somebody like Stella has had compared with her, or the Varisians. Is like she comes from another planet.


Female Half Elf (Varisian) Witch/1

Sense Motive (Forgetful of me.): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12


M Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Fighter) 2

diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21"Kiddo, are you kidding! You were so brave!"


Who? Stella? :P
Stella looks behind her as if expecting Anton to be talking with somebody behind her.
Holding out her sobs, still having her eyes inflamed by crying, she turns all red and avoids looking Anton Ionescu in the eye...
"Really?"
But you all see a smile forming on her lips, and the hold she has on M'ara's arm gets a little loser.


Female Half Elf (Varisian) Witch/1

Delin has little trouble ignoring the darker discussions going on as she tends to those injured. As the girl Olga marvels at her powers she has to stifle a laugh. Instead a light-hearted chuckle escapes her. "I was trained to be a healer." she explains, "Healing is in all of us, if we are want to learn. The white magics of the world come to many."

She looks to the young woman holding onto Ma'ra and points subtly at her to Olga. "She is not a Varisian." she points out, "But after a long day marching her feet will be sore as any of us."

She smiled at the young girl and tousled her hair. "Likely more." she adds with amusement, "To be a true healer, you must have love for everyone. Not only those like you. Perhaps when the day is over you can help me make her feel better."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 2 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 16/16 l F +1 R +2 W +4 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Zomeraand and Pete resume their regular traveling routine, which is unchanged by the loss of the wagon.

”You could see if the young noblewoman will hire you to carry her things, too,” Zomeraand suggests to Pete. ”She seems unlikely to be able to make the journey on foot if she’s going to have to carry all her own things.”


Delin Chiri wrote:

She looks to the young woman holding onto M'ara and points subtly at her to Olga. "She is not a Varisian." she points out, "But after a long day marching her feet will be sore as any of us."

She smiled at the young girl and tousled her hair. "Likely more." she adds with amusement, "To be a true healer, you must have love for everyone. Not only those like you. Perhaps when the day is over you can help me make her feel better."

Olga nods at Chiri's words, her eyes wide with understanding.

"Of course I'll help you. And please, teach me. You sound like my grandmother, but not just for our people. But..." - she timidly asks, looking at the "chelaxians" resting in the wagons - "They fear us and treat us badly. Are we supposed to go and try to help them, even when they are mean to us?"


The Magician, Zomeraand wrote:
”You could see if the young noblewoman will hire you to carry her things, too,” Zomeraand suggests to Pete. ”She seems unlikely to be able to make the journey on foot if she’s going to have to carry all her own things.”

Lucky Pete eyes widen!

"Boss! Please 'cuse me for 'minute!"
He quickly walks (almost runs) towards the Bâlans wagons, returning some 10 minutes later, a wide smile in his face and a new sack on his back.
"Got't Boss! The nice lady told me she doesn't have 'ny coin, but that 's brother will pay 't Sandpoint! 'll pay yu 'beer'n the 'ld'ag for the 'dea, boss!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Half Elf (Varisian) Witch/1

Delin can't help but be amused by how precious Olga was being. "I will teach you what I can while we are traveling." she promises.

She gives Olga's question serious thought, or at least thinks of her response. "If you stopped helping someone because they were mean to you would that stop them being mean?" she posited before taking another approach, "If you stopped helping people every time they were mean to you, wouldn't you eventually run out of people you'd be willing to help? It's not like anyone is nice all the time."


Olga Bâlan stops for a second, reflecting on Delin words, and then keeps helping Delin Chiri attend the hurt.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Fighter) 2

"Absolutely! Your adventure of a life started with a bang and you're still strong and whole'" Anton says to Stella.


Anton Ionescu wrote:
"Absolutely! Your adventure of a life started with a bang and you're still strong and whole'" Anton says to Stella.

You manage to get a chuckle out of the teared-eyes young girl.


Male Human Nerd 11

I guess you don't stop the Szcarni.
Ruperto Zingari and his group quickly get their stuff and walk away, towards Sandpoint, not waiting for the rest of the caravan to be ready and start the travel. Before they get out of sight Carmen Zingari turns to see Lief Stoutspear, and with a sad smile she throws a kiss at him.
After the injured are ready to travel the caravan continues the travel, now without Stella's wagon and the Szcarni group.
Stella walks together with M'ara, and Olga Bâlan quickly approaches to walk, and talk, with them.
Lucky Pete asks The Magician Zomeraand to walk behind the women.
Do your characters take a special position in the caravan? The Szcarni group is somewhere in front of you, unseen, and you are nearing Brinestump marsh, a known goblin tribe zone. You can roll Perception if you want to keep an eye out for dangers on the road. Or you can roll to check the caravan. But you need to choose, roll Perception for the road or for the caravan.

Dangers on the road Perception DC 15:
Everything seems clear.

OR
Caravan Perception DC 15 or Sense Motive DC 20:
After 1 hour of travel you notice Stela is walking differently. A more detailed observation makes you notice her shoes, more like slippers, have broken down and she is getting hurt for walking in the hard trail (for her). She is trying to hide it and keep walking, out of shame you guess.


Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Sense: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 2 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 16/16 l F +1 R +2 W +4 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Zomeraand nods. "Behind your other employer, am I right?" he asks Pete for clarification.

Zomeraand decides to keep an eye out for anything that might attack from the sides of the road.

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Half Elf (Varisian) Witch/1

Delin keeps an eye out as they walk along. Her scribe work forgotten while marching and her crossbow in hand at the prospect of danger. She spares the occasional glance about, and notices Olga walking with Ma'ra and Stella. She smiles with satisfaction and is momentarily distracted from her watch. Then, she redoubles her vigil.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M'ara Human Witch 1 AC:17/17/14 HP:3/7 F:+1 R: +3 W: +2 Init: +3 Perception: +0

Perception, Caravan: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (12) + 0 = 12

M'ara walks along with Stella and Olga, mainly keeping her mind on putting one foot infront of the other, but answering any questions the girls might have.

Can I roll a perception for Shivi as well?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human Fighter (Weapon Master) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | Fort +2 Ref +4 Will +2 | Init +10 | Perception +1

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

Anton takes a position at the front of the caravan, looking out for any Scarnzi bandits or monsters on the road.


Male Human Nerd 11
M'ara wrote:

[dice=Perception, Caravan]1d20+0

M'ara walks along with Stella and Olga, mainly keeping her mind on putting one foot infront of the other, but answering any questions the girls might have.
Can I roll a perception for Shivi as well?

Yes, of course. Familiars, guardian dogs, etc. they all roll perception too.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Fighter) 2

Perception Caravan: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Anton rides up to the young girl Stella. "Hey, Stella. Those shoes weren't made for this kind of walking. Can I help?"diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 24/24 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 17 | F +5, R +6, W +2 | perception +7*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

Maybe I lost track of it in the midst of the posts about the sczarni, but I really thought I posted something about having Stella ride with me?

”Stella, please,” Lief objects when Anton says something about the girls shoes, ”I told you before, this horse belongs to the people bringing you home, you should ride it. If you’re uncomfortable riding with me, I can dismount and lead the horse... or maybe you’d be more comfortable if Anton rode with you?”


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M'ara Human Witch 1 AC:17/17/14 HP:3/7 F:+1 R: +3 W: +2 Init: +3 Perception: +0

Perception, Shivi, Caravan: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (17) + 14 = 31

Riding on M'ara's shoulder, Shivi notices what she does not and he and Anton do...Stella's footwear is inadequate for the journey.

Tugging on M'ara's ear so that she looks down at the young woman's feet, M'ara is about to mention something when Anton speaks up.

She nods at Lief's suggestion, "While I an Delin can heal any hurt your feet experience on our journey...spare yourself the pain and take up Lief's offer."


After she is discovered, Stella Scarnetti smiles shily.
"I don't want to be a bother. You all walk, I should walk too."
At Lief Stoutspear's offer and M'ara coaxing, she blushes a deep crimson.
"Thank you so very much but my brother has always ordered I am not permitted to ride a horse. He says it is dangerous for... I mean... for girls like me... He fears I might get... hurt..."

In case you didn't get it:
Yes, the brother is worried about her maidenhood.


Olga Bâlan turns to see Delin Chirin and her face gets a new look, a look of resolution.
"Miss Stella, please come with me to the wagon for a minute."
After some 15 minutes, both of them appear again.
Olga looks at Delin Chiri and smiles at her.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Miss Stella Scarnetti, "chelaxian" noblewoman, is now dressed in Varisian garb, including some soft but sturdy slippers. She looks beautiful, not only because of the colorful and youthful varisian dress but also because of herself. She seems to be glowing, smiling profusely at the new friends and experiences she is having for the first time.
"Thank you so much for all you are doing for me. I'll ask my brother to reward you for everything you have done."
She hugs M'ara warmly.
Lucky Pete, a wide innocent smile on his face tells her: "You look very pretty, miss!"
For the rest of the day, she walks arm in arm with Olga Bâlan, now best friends.

Sense Motive DC 15 or Perception DC 15:
She is wating to see what Anton Ionescu says of her new look.


Male Human Nerd 11

Needless to say, you don't see anything dangerous the rest of the day.
Early on the day, the caravan master stops the group.
"We make camp here today. I don't want to get closer to Brinestump marsh, and we should be able to reach Sandpoint tomorrow."
He calls all of your characters, and them you a favor.
"I am worried for Goblins, and for the Szcarni that went before us. Please keep an eye open tonight."
Watch time!
Three watches, please tell me which turn are you on (you can use the discussion thread to get in order, maybe set a "normal" watch rotation for the future), and roll perception for you and your familiars/pets.
Let's see what the night brings!


Female Half Elf (Varisian) Witch/1

Perception for Stella: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14


Female Half Elf (Varisian) Witch/1

Delin looks about at her makeshift companions as the caravan master proposes they help keep watch. She offers a nod and begins to setup for the first watch again without a word. If no one took issue with this, she would mutter an incantation in elvish and cast a protective mage armor on herself for her watch. Before her shift begins she calls Olga over.

"Did you make a friend?" she asks with a knowing smile. She reaches out, placing down her candle lantern before the two of them. Then, she lays out her journal and opens it to a blank page. Finally, she reaches to her scarf and pulls out a tiny mottled toad. A few lines of wax stain it's back, thin enough to be translucent while smoothing the texture of it's bumpy skin.

"This is Ibbit. He is my magical familiar, and helps me cast spells. I will teach you a little of familiars." she offers, and before her first shift she will do exactly that for Olga if so interested.

Afterwards, she sets he silent sentry down to hide near her candle. She also casts light upon a stone and hurls it out to the perimeter, giving a spot of illumination in the darkness beyond. With her little companion at her side, she is confident in both their low light vision.

(OOC- Ibbit has scent as well. I have been forgetting to add the alertness bonus to my own perception rolls as well.)

Stealth (Ibbit): 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (10) + 21 = 31
Perception (Ibbit): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Perception (Delin): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8


Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 2 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 16/16 l F +1 R +2 W +4 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Zomeraand sits by the fire, glancing up at the woods every now and again, and doing his best to stay alert.

"How often do you go to Sandpoint? Is this a regular journey for you?" he asks his watch companion. (Eva, or whoever chooses to share it with him)

Perception, watching for danger: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


M Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Fighter) 2

Anton fakes shock. "What happened to the Chellish girl stella? And where did this beautiful young Varisian girl come from? Is this a trick?"


HP 24/24 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 17 | F +5, R +6, W +2 | perception +7*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

Lief spends his watch pacing uneasily.

this is the last time I hire on with a caravan like this... we should have been in Sandpoint yesterday and now we’re camping in danger of goblins and sczarni, and risking not making it tomorrow...

perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
I get +2 against goblins, so that’s a 20 if they show up


M'ara Human Witch 1 AC:17/17/14 HP:3/7 F:+1 R: +3 W: +2 Init: +3 Perception: +0

[ooc] M'ara will take whatever watch , but will probably end up withe Lief again..."[/b]

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 10
Perception, Shivi: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (6) + 14 = 20


Eva replies to Zomeraand,
"No, this is my first time going back to Sandpoint."

perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15


Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 2 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 16/16 l F +1 R +2 W +4 l Init +2 l Perc +1

"How long have you been gone?" Zomeraand responds.


Delin Chiri wrote:

Before her shift begins she calls Olga over.

"Did you make a friend?" she asks with a knowing smile.

Olga smiles.

"I never thought a noblewoman could be so similar to me! And not only in our clothes size!"
She laughs a charming laugh.
"We both feel somewhat... trapped... in our lives. We even joked about asking you to cast a magic spell and make us change bodies! That would be so much fun!"
Delin Chiri wrote:
"This is Ibbit. He is my magical familiar, and helps me cast spells. I will teach you a little of familiars." she offers, and before her first shift she will do exactly that for Olga if so interested.

Even if Olga seems somewhat repulsed by the toad (and avoids touching it) she pays a lot of attention to everything Delin Chiri teaches her.


Anton Ionescu wrote:
Anton fakes shock. "What happened to the Chellish girl stella? And where did this beautiful young Varisian girl come from? Is this a trick?"

Stella Scarnetti blushes as if about to burst into fire, and giggles timidly.

"I am glad you like it."


Male Human Nerd 11

Let's see how early the Goblins rise up... they are not much for strategy...
Watch: 1d3 ⇒ 2
I think that is Lief's and M'ara's watch, right?
In the middle of the night, both Lief and Shivi hears a commotion to the back of the caravan, where the sourly dwarf that has accompanied you all the way has kept to himself.
It sounds like rustling, like a muffled cry, and to Lief's trained ears...
... like Goblin laughter.
Did you think all of the adventure path was going to be RP? No sir! Combat time!
If you are not on "watch" you will need at least one action to wake up. And remember, unless you have a knack for it, you sleep unarmored.


Eva replies to Zomeraand,
"It's been a number of years at this point."


HP 24/24 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 17 | F +5, R +6, W +2 | perception +7*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

There’s no penalty for sleeping in light armor, it’s just people in medium (or heavy) armor who would be unarmored?

Goblins! Lief shouts. He strings an arrow as he moves quickly towards the back of the caravan. The fires it at the first goblin he sees.

move 30’ towards end of caravan; if I see one I fire, if not I ready this shot for the first one that comes into view.
longbow vs goblin: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 2 = 12
for: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
if it’s within 30’ add +1 to hit and damage (point blank shot)
edit: dang, with an attack roll like that I hope it’s within 30’ and still flat-footed...


M'ara Human Witch 1 AC:17/17/14 HP:3/7 F:+1 R: +3 W: +2 Init: +3 Perception: +0

At Lief's shout and Shivi's shriek, M'ara spins about and see's the big Ulfen running towards the back of the caravan.

Not knowing the nature of the thread, M'ara pauses to mutter a few arcane syllables, a glowing barrier forming around her body, then fading.

Mage Armor

She then runs after Lief, pulling her crossbow up...


M Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Fighter) 2
NPC - Stella Scarnetti wrote:
Anton Ionescu wrote:
Anton fakes shock. "What happened to the Chellish girl stella? And where did this beautiful young Varisian girl come from? Is this a trick?"

Stella Scarnetti blushes as if about to burst into fire, and giggles timidly.

"I am glad you like it."

Anton smiles, pleased the girl was in better spirits.


M Human Fighter (Weapon Master) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | Fort +2 Ref +4 Will +2 | Init +10 | Perception +1

The Absalom native bolts up out of his bedroll, then curses as he feels his leather gambeson folded on the earth beside it. "I guess I'll need to start sleeping with that on." he growls as he grabs his rapier from its place next to his head, jumps up, and runs toward the yelling.

current AC is 14/T 14/FF 10


Male Human Nerd 11

Both Lief and M'ara find half a dozen goblins surrounding what appears the prone body of the dwarf, that lays immobile between them.
Lief's arrow whistles past the goblins, not hitting them.
They turn to look at Lief, and laugh mockingly.
Anton Chauvelle appears behind Lief and M'ara, in time to hear the laughs.


Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 2 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 16/16 l F +1 R +2 W +4 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Zomeraand rouses at the cry of the alarm, and quickly whispers and incantation.

”Aegis incarnum.” (casting mage armor)

He then looks around for the source of danger.


Female Half Elf (Varisian) Witch/1

Delin rises startled at the cries, and as she snaps to attention she hears the cries of goblins. She grabs her crossbow and rises, cocking it back and setting a bolt.

(OOC: Waking up and arming herself per DM instruction.)


Male Human Nerd 11

Three of the goblins get their crude short bows out and shoot at Lief, M'ara, and Anton Chauvelle.
They are just outside of 30'
Attack against Lief: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4
Attack against M'ara: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4
Attack against Anton Chauvelle: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4
The other three goblins keep poking at the dwaft prone form between them.
------------------
Back in the caravan, several people start to rouse and prepare for combat.
But they will let you go ahead first! You are the heroes of the adventure, remember?
------------------
Next turn for the characters!


HP 24/24 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 17 | F +5, R +6, W +2 | perception +7*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

Lief grimaces as the goblin’s blade bites into his leg. Dropping his bow, he draws his greatsword and swings it down at the little green menace.

greatsword (FE): 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 3 + 2 = 13
for: 2d6 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (4, 4) + 3 + 2 = 13
dang it... stupid fake dice...


Female Half Elf (Varisian) Witch/1

Delin makes a displeased sound in the back of her throat and levels her crossbow at one of the goblins poking the downed dwarf. "Nasty little cur..." she growls. Her voice was low, deathly quiet as she focused her shot and loosed.

Crossbow Shot: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Damage 19-20x2: 1d8 ⇒ 7


M Human Fighter (Weapon Master) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | Fort +2 Ref +4 Will +2 | Init +10 | Perception +1

Anton gasps as the arrow opens a gash in his side, then lets out a harsh yell and charges the goblin closest to him.

Rapier Attack: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 5 + 2 = 9
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

oof…

current AC is 12/T 12/FF 8


M'ara Human Witch 1 AC:17/17/14 HP:3/7 F:+1 R: +3 W: +2 Init: +3 Perception: +0

M'ara merely grunts a little as the goblin's arrow cuts a small gash on her arm. Lowering her crossbow, she plunges her other hand into her pouch, bring forth a pinch of fine sand....which she casts towards the assembled goblins, while uttering a gutteral command, centered to catch as many as possible of the nasty beasts.

Sleep

251 to 300 of 548 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / JohnnyBlack's Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.