JohnnyBlack's Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition

Game Master JohnnyBlack

Goblin Attack!
The new cathedral consecration ceremony gets interrupted by a surprise goblin attack!
Combat Map


51 to 100 of 578 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
JohnnyBlack wrote:

..

Aldern let out a confident laugh.
"My dear child! you should have tell me that sooner! That is no problem."
He turns to Anton Ionescu, and gives him 2 sp.
"Master Ionescu, please find master Joseph and tell him he needs to hire a new cook, and that I send him those coins to make up for his troubles."
He extends his hand to Etna, a wide smile on his face.
"There! Problem solved! Now, please come with me, let me show you around!"

Etna gentle pushes his hands away as they attempt to hold her and smiles back

"I thought you said you weren't the pressuring type, as the pressuring types tend to turn off the ladies.
And I made the agreement with Mr Joseph, and a covenant made is a covenant to be honoured.
I'm a cook for this group, not just you."


M Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Fighter) 2

Swing and a miss ...


Male Human Nerd 11
Etna Venus Van Ash wrote:

Etna gentle pushes his hands away as they attempt to hold her and smiles back

"I thought you said you weren't the pressuring type, as the pressuring types tend to turn off the ladies.
And I made the agreement with Mr Joseph, and a covenant made is a covenant to be honoured.
I'm a cook for this group, not just you."

Aldern seems taken aback.

"Ohhh... ohhhh... Ok... Well..."
He seems really confounded for a second but quickly regains his composure.
"My apologies, then. Master Anton, please give the 2 sp to the lady, for her troubles..."
He turns and walks away.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
M Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Fighter) 2

Anton hands her the money with a slight grin. "Wit is wasted on some." He then gets back to the mark--er, client.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human Fighter (Weapon Master) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | Fort +2 Ref +4 Will +2 | Init +10 | Perception +1

Anton thanks his host again, then turns to the young woman (Livia). "You've got a really fine voice. You sing in the theater in Magnimar?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Anton Ionescu wrote:
Anton hands her the money with a slight grin. "Wit is wasted on some." He then gets back to the mark--er, client.

Etna smiles as she replies back to Anton Ionescu

"Nice to see you again, Anton."

After a few moments continues in a quieter voice
"He has less sense then cents,
a mind for pitching tents.
All the while chasing the a$$
of many a lass.
Thinking himself best
and above the rest."

Sorry if any dislike this bad poetry and rhyming, and she's not even a Bard.
And she's spilling her current impression of Mr Foxglove.
He's gonna need to think carefully of his next moves if he wants to continue hitting on her or wanting her attention.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Half Elf (Varisian) Witch/1

Delin gives the man a queer look, clutching her book close. "You think I need help carrying my weight?" she asked flatly. There was no edge to her voice, and her features were smooth. Still, her eyes showed her anger. She went to continue, and then remembered she was next to Zomeraand.

She sighed, and a slight frown came to her lips. "Do you insult me because my hair is fair?" she asked the man in sharp Varisian, "This caravan girl needs no man to carry her belongings!"

With her piece said, Delin marched forward at double the pace.


Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 2 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 16/16 l F +1 R +2 W +4 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Zomeraand watches Delin clutch the book to her chest and march off. He looks at the porter with an expression of confusion.

”I’m sorry. I have no idea how she interpreted your offer as an insult,” he says, shrugging. ”I tell you what. You may carry my pack after all.”

He hands over his backpack and other requested coins to Pete. ”Please do me a favor, and stay within sight of me, in case I need to retrieve anything from my pack.”


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Fighter) 2

As he walks, Anton realizes, Wait, she knew my name! How did ...I would certainly remember her! Unless ...wait ...what was her name? Etna?! When did that little tomboy ...


Male Human Nerd 11
Etna Venus Van Ash wrote:

And she's spilling her current impression of Mr Foxglove.

He's gonna need to think carefully of his next moves if he wants to continue hitting on her or wanting her attention.

Not a mistaken take on Lord Foxglove. A "normal" nobleman. Let's see how Etna and Aldern relationship develops.


Male Human Nerd 11
Delin Chiri wrote:

She sighed, and a slight frown came to her lips. "Do you insult me because my hair is fair?" she asked the man in sharp Varisian, "This caravan girl needs no man to carry her belongings!"

With her piece said, Delin marched forward at double the pace.
The Magician, Zomeraand wrote:

Zomeraand watches Delin clutch the book to her chest and march off. He looks at the porter with an expression of confusion.

”I’m sorry. I have no idea how she interpreted your offer as an insult,” he says, shrugging. ”I tell you what. You may carry my pack after all.”
He hands over his backpack and other requested coins to Pete. ”Please do me a favor, and stay within sight of me, in case I need to retrieve anything from my pack.”

Lucky Pete gets all red in the face at Delin's recrimination, with an open mouth.

After The Magician, Zomeraand hires him, he thanks him profusely.
"Thank you, boss. Of course, I'll keep close! Don't worry 'bout it! No need to pay me now, you can do when we arrive't Sandpoint boss."
He looks towards Delin.
"Please excuse me with your misses. Didn' mean no disrespect!"
He seems mortified.
"Tell you what? I'll carry both your stuff, for the same price! If 'is right with you, boss, 'f course."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 2 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 16/16 l F +1 R +2 W +4 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Zomeraand blushes when Pete refers to Delin as his ‘missus’. ”Oh, no. No. She’s not my wife. We were just talking when you approached us. Truth be told, I barely know any more about her than you do. I think offering to carry her pack again is likely to get your face slapped. Just let her be. I imagine she’ll be over it soon.”


Male Human Nerd 11
The Magician, Zomeraand wrote:
Zomeraand blushes when Pete refers to Delin as his ‘missus’. ”Oh, no. No. She’s not my wife. We were just talking when you approached us. Truth be told, I barely know any more about her than you do. I think offering to carry her pack again is likely to get your face slapped. Just let her be. I imagine she’ll be over it soon.”

Lucky Pete looks at Delin again.

"Wouldn' like to get 'lapped. Ok, boss, Will leave her 'lone for now."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 24/24 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 17 | F +5, R +6, W +2 | perception +7*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

Lief looks around at all the people talking and laughing, and especially at the group of Varisians, including Carmen, who are already making merry.

I still have some coin from escorting that other caravan here... I should have just joined this one as a traveler instead of hiring on... the gold’ll buy me a couple more days in Sandpoint before I need to find more work, but I’m definitely missing out on some fun in the next few days...

While waiting for the caravan to embark, he quietly scans the assembled travelers and tries to note who seems armed and ready for a fight, and who carries the air of a magic user.

perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18


Male Human Nerd 11

And we are off! Welcome to the adventure!
The next day, at the break of dawn on a chilly morning, the caravan gets in motion.
@Anton Chauvelle, Livia Taviskin and M'ara: The Bâlans prove they are used to the road, getting in motion efficiently and purposedly. You have no doubts they voyage with them will be as uneventful as it can be.
@Anton Ionescu: Aldern Foxglove is a capable rider, and doesn't seem unfazed by the early hour, the chill wind or the voyage ahead. A good horse, a high-quality saddle, and a very expensive rabbit skin coat help, you are sure, but he seems capable anyway.
Delin Chiri: Your call. Will you walk alone? Try to buy passage (or ask) on a wagon? Accompany Zomeraand and Lucky Pete?
Etna Venus Van Ash: On the first group of the caravan, you are asked to walk next to the "larder" wagon. Looking back for a second, you realize Aldern Foxglove doesn't seem to be paying attention to you. You are not completely sure if you feel relieved or sad.
Lief Stoutspear: The old woman travels on the wagon. By small cues, you are now sure there is at least another person in it. A person you are guarding. You keep to the middle of the caravan, on a side, keeping away to others on it. Not a great strategic position for defense, but good enough if you want to keep your distance.
The Magician, Zomeraand: Lucky Pete wakes you up gently.
"Boss! Good morning! Breakfast time. I went to wash my face, and look, found some Pork mushrooms! Maybe we can eat them for breakfast!"
You recognize them, they are a very delicious variety of mushrooms that are hard to find. They are safe, if not very common.
The "partying" varisian group goes almost at the end of the caravan, just a sourly looking dwarf with a mule behind them.
-------------
Around noon, when the novelty of the voyage has worn off, and sleep starts to creep in thanks to the warm sunbeams, a scream breaks the peace!
"PRINCESS WAIT! HELP! PLEASE STOP HER!"
The screams come from the young girl from the Bâlan family that "played" with Shivi the day before. A horse is bolting parallel to the caravan, about to trample anyone on her path!
DM Roll: 1d8 ⇒ 4
Almost at the head of the caravan Aldern Foxglove smiles.
"Master Anton, let's save the day!"
He turns his horse around to try and block the bolting horse path.
Ride Check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
He expertly turns and blocks the horse path, preventing it from charging into Etna Venus Van Ash!
"Master Anton! Restrain the horse!"
Your turn! The horse is very spooked, and will be hard to control. Anton is nearest (and mounted), but the rest of you can help too!


♀ Human Cleric of Shelyn
Anton Chauvelle wrote:
Anton thanks his host again, then turns to the young woman (Livia). "You've got a really fine voice. You sing in the theater in Magnimar?"

Smiling, Livia bowed graciously and sat down beside Anton "I grew up at the Opera House, or around it. My father was a tenor there; he taught me to sing." It was clear to Anton that Livia was remembering her childhood fondly. Though it was unconventional and erratic, it was filled with art and music.

Turning towards Anton, Livia smiled "How about you Anton?"


JohnnyBlack wrote:

....

Etna Venus Van Ash: On the first group of the caravan, you are asked to walk next to the "larder" wagon. Looking back for a second, you realize Aldern Foxglove doesn't seem to be paying attention to you. You are not completely sure if you feel relieved or sad.
...

Glad that he's doing something other then trying to woe me again like last night before bed,

I swear he doesn't have enough blood to keep his mind proper.

JohnnyBlack wrote:

....

Aldern Foxglove expertly turns and blocks the horse path, preventing it from charging into Etna Venus Van Ash!
"Master Anton! Restrain the horse!"
...

Etna smiles a bit to Mr Foxglove

"Trying to be a white knight are we now...
I wonder if he tried staging it to impress me or make me see him better."


Female Half Elf (Varisian) Witch/1

With time to reflect on the previous day Delin felt embarrassed about her anger. In hindsight the porter hadn't meant anything by pursuing her as a client. She had trouble sleeping, feeling the shame of her obvious social miscue.

The following day she tried to see if anyone would offer her a ride in a wagon or cart. Seeing Zomeraand and "Lucky" Pete she lifted a hand in an awkward greeting before quickly turning and continuing her search for a ride. She wouldn't be able to manage any serious scribing, but perhaps someone would need a rolled ankle looked at.

When she saw the startled horse she quickly looked for anyone who might be in the path of danger.

(OOC: Will try to pull someone clear if able and needed.)


Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 2 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 16/16 l F +1 R +2 W +4 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Zomeraand returns Delin's wave, then says to Pete. "See? No harm done. She will be conversational again within a day or two."

Upon hearing the call for help, and seeing the runaway horse, Zomeraand sighs in resignation, and watches as other caravan members rush to restrain the beast.

"I never learned much about the care and training of horses. I walked almost everywhere for years in Kyver's Islet. I am going to have to leave this incident in the hands of more competent individuals."

He gives a sidelong glance at Lucky Pete as he speaks, wondering if the man is judging him for his lack of action.


M Human Fighter (Weapon Master) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | Fort +2 Ref +4 Will +2 | Init +10 | Perception +1
Livia Taviskin wrote:

Smiling, Livia bowed graciously and sat down beside Anton "I grew up at the Opera House, or around it. My father was a tenor there; he taught me to sing." It was clear to Anton that Livia was remembering her childhood fondly. Though it was unconventional and erratic, it was filled with art and music.

Turning towards Anton, Livia smiled "How about you Anton?"

Anton returns a rather more impish smile to the cleric than he received, saying, "Well, he did a fine job. Me, I just picked up a few tunes on the ship that brought me here from Absalom. Better to sing the Drunken Hero's praises, but I'm not good for anything fancy, far as singing goes."


♀ Human Cleric of Shelyn

Livia smiles broadly and laughs lightly "Oh singing doesn't have to fancy, it just needs to be fun. Bar tunes, ballads, opera songs... really, if it's a good tune, they'll all bring out some kind of emotion when done right."

Standing up, Livia starts into an old and very well known Varisian folk tune, as if to prove a point. She waves at the others to join in.

Performance, Singing: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26


M Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Fighter) 2

ride, untrained: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11"Whoa there, uh, Princess?" Not a skilled rider, Anton struggles to corral the runaway.


HP 24/24 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 17 | F +5, R +6, W +2 | perception +7*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

@GM- I think you may have missed my last post (trying to get a feel, before we set out) for who in the caravan might be an able warrior, or a possible magic-user).

Lief watches anxiously as the nobleman and his man, Anton, try to subdue the horse. In his heart all he wants to do is help, but his mind keeps reminding him of his responsibility to safeguard whoever is hiding in the wagon.

that guy does not know how to handle a horse... I wouldn’t mind if they fired me for riding off, but if anything happened to whoever I’m supposed to be guarding while I was chasing the horse that would be my fault... this could just be a distraction...

The conflicted young adventurer tentatively guides his horse to swing out to the side of the caravan where he can quickly get back to the carriage but can also better see both directions and has a clear path to charge to the spooked horse if necessary. Looking back towards where the scream came from, he searches for any sign of what may have startled the horse in the first place.

perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
21 if there’s goblins


M Human Fighter (Weapon Master) 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | Fort +2 Ref +4 Will +2 | Init +10 | Perception +1

From yesterday in game

Perform (Sing): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

Anton has a decent voice, but clearly doesn't know the tune very well.

For the current situation

The Absalom native still isn't quite used to these "horse" things, but he's seen enough to know to try grabbing the tack hanging from its face.

Ride, untrained: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

Running up the caravan, Anton catches the reins and pulls down hard, trying to get the beast to stop moving.


Male Human Nerd 11

@Lief Stoutspear: Yes sorry, didn't answer your roll. Besides the other characters, there is a serious-looking dwarf who appears capable of defending himself. Also, the small varisian group (the "partying group") seems very capable of standing on their own. None of those two seems magical inclined, but you are no expert yourself.
-----------------------------
Going back to our regular schedule.
Livia Taviskin and M'ara are in one of the Bâlans wagons, and are slow to react.
Etna Venus Van Ash wonders is Aldern Foxglove had anything to do with this situation, but quickly realizes he is not paying attention to her anymore.

Etna Sense Motive DC 10:
Yes, he seems to be over her already.

Delin Chiri sees the varisian girl that lost the horse running towards it, but she stops her, which is a great idea because the girl would only get hurt if she approaches now.
The Magician, Zomeraand stands aside and looks to Lucky Pete. He seems afraid and unwilling to get closer (in fact, Zomeraand wonders if Lucky Pete would have fled already if not for him).
Anton Ionescu tries to corral the escaping horse, but he only manages to put his steed in such a way he protects the caravan people in case the escaping horse tries to bolt again.
Anton Chauvelle, on his part, quickly runs towards the horse and tries to grab the reigns.
Sorry, it is not riding, as you are not "on top" of the horse. It would be a handle animal check, which, of course, Anton Chauvelle doesn't have. But it was a nice roll, let's try an opposed STR check.
Horse STR Check vs. Anton's 18: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Anton Chauvelle does it! he barely manages to hold the reigns and stop the horse!
A second later, several members of the caravan join to control the horse, and after a couple of minutes, they manage to calm it.
Anton gets the thanks of the Bâlans and a lot more smiles from the girls in the caravan, being the hero of the day. The girl that lost the horse, Olga, is very ashamed, thank him profusely, and seems to have a young crush on him!
Delin Chiri is also approached by the grandmother of the Bâlans, and thank her for preventing Olga from getting hurt. She invites Delin to join her family in the wagons, as a way of thanks.
Aldern Foxglove, for his part, receives a lot of compliments from several girls in the caravan. And he, very graciously, makes sure to include Anton Ionescu in the talk.
"It is my responsibility, as a Noble, to protect the people. And that makes master Ionescu's actions more commendable, as he joined to assist me, in risk of his well being. I am glad to have such a courageous man as my companion on this trip."
-----------------------------
And while all of the caravan is fixed on the horse and the efforts to control it, Lief Stoutspear realizes something. The "partying group" of varisians is close to the carriage he is protecting, watching at him, not at the escaping horse and the efforts to control it.
Carmen, in their midst, smiles at him with a knowingly smile, and nods, approvingly. She touches the arm of the man that saluted Lief the day before and makes a movement with her head. He nods, and the whole group moves away from the carriage, silently.
Only Carmen turns to see Lief again, a wide smile in her lips.
------------------------------
Ok, you can react to the emotions of this day. Tomorrow I will post about the result of those actions, and we start the night activities of the first day.


Female Half Elf (Varisian) Witch/1

Delin holds Olga back through no small effort, as she herself was by no stretch to be considered strong. Her heavy backpack that had been a burden thus far lending it's mass to the effort, or else she might have been dragged forward by the younger woman. As the horse was corralled and the fight left the young woman she gave her slight hug and released her.

She gladly accepts the invitation, introducing herself to the matriarch and taking up a seat on the same wagon. She was certain the old woman had stories to share.


HP 24/24 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 17 | F +5, R +6, W +2 | perception +7*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

Ingrid, who was never distracted from her charge to guard the carriage, relaxes as the band of Varisians moves away.

Lief frowns at Carmen and her friend and spurs his horse to trot back over to the carriage. ”Just a loose horse,” he reports to the old woman, ”they’ve got it handled.” Then he falls in line behind the carriage where he can keep it well in view.


Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 2 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 16/16 l F +1 R +2 W +4 l Init +2 l Perc +1

”Just a runaway horse. See? That fellow got it back under control. These things happen,” Zomeraand says to Lucky Pete. ”Nothing to be concerned about.”


Sense: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10 Wow, just made it

"Seems I may of put him off a bit too much,
But then again he was a more forceful then he said he'd be."

Rand: 1d10 ⇒ 8
"He's handsome, and rich, but to much a player for my maiden heart.
But I'm likely long for a real man whom'll stick by his wife."

"But It's best that I be a polite lady and still thank him."

Etna approaches Aldern Foxglove and does a curtsey before she speaks
"I thank you Lord Foxglove for stopping the horse before it reached myself and the others around me."


Male Human Nerd 11

As we only have 4 posts, we will remain in this scene for another day... tomorrow I will continue with the night of the first day...

@Delin Chiri: The leader of the Bâlan's family is named Esmeralda. She welcomes you to the wagon and introduces you to her extended family, as well to Livia Taviskin and M'ara, who are themselves "guests" of the Bâlans.
"And that man is also traveling with us..." - she points to Anton Chauvelle - "But right now he is very busy."
Olga, especially, takes his time to tells everyone how Delin helped her.
For what little you can talk with the family, they seem like a very traditional Varisian family, keeping varisian values and customs many of them have diluted or even lost with the contact with the Chelaxian colonists. You are sure there is a trove of cultural treasures in their songs and stories... if only you could get to share them with you.
How do you propose to get the stories out of her? And she does have stories to tell! Will you invite The Magician, Zomeraand to join? He could be interested too.

--------------------------------

@Lief Stoutspear: At supper time Carmen approaches Lief and Ingrid, seeing him away for others, a cloth containing something in her hand.
"Hi girl!" - she greets Ingrid.

In case Lief reacts as if she is going to attack him:
She stops, raises her hand and smiles.
"Please don't worry! I come in peace!"

She approaches him and opens the cloth. Some kind of cheese is within. It has a brown "skin" over the yellow interior and smells great.
"This is Brânză. It is made with a secret recipe passed down my family's many generations. And I am supposed only to present him to the man I am going to marry."
She laughs at Lief's face.
"But I will make an exception with you."
She then sits next to him.
"Or maybe not!"
She laughs her cristal innocent laugh. She takes a very small cheese knife and cuts a piece she eats herself.
"It is very good, really."
She cuts another small piece and presents it to Lief.
If he doesn't eat it:
She makes a playful pouting face and eats it.
"I am not such a bad cook, as to poison my cheese!"

She puts the rest of the cheese down and looks towards the rest of her group.
"You can't keep awake all the time, you know. Nor you can keep next to the wagon forever. But we are not evil people. We just want to earn some coin, like everybody else. If fact, I told my brother you would be a great addition to our group."
She lets out a chuckle.
"Of course he hated the idea! I think he is jealous of you. Big brothers can be so protective of their little sisters. But back to the current situation... What's in the wagon? Maybe we can settle this out without having to do anything violent. I would hate for you to get hurt. And I hope you would hate for me to get hurt too. And you can come with us afterward, take your cut, and we could go on a holiday. Doesn't that sound better than other alternatives?"
She grabs Lief's arm and puts her head on his shoulder.
"Maybe I only need a good score and a good man, and I could finally get away from this life. Become a good person."
She stays there, waiting for Lief to speak. Her hair smells like flowers, and she feels warm on his shoulder.

--------------------------------

@The Magician, Zomeraand: Lucky Pete smiles.
"An old friend of mine got killed by a horse bolting like that. I was just next to him at the time. I have to say I don't like horses."
The rest of the day goes on uneventfully. Lucky Pete makes a nice chat, and makes the voyage very pleasant, but keeping you company and helping you with your stuff. He fetches you water, tells you where to step on the road (and more importantly where not to step, there are many horses around) and seems to be known, and well-liked, by other travelers.

Sense Motive DC 15:
You realize he is VERY professional in his work. Even his way to keep the conversation going is part of the "services" he provides.

You notice Delin Chiri is now traveling on a wagon, with a varisian family.
At supper time he takes a wooden box out of his backpack.
"Have you ever played Stump?"
The box opens to transform into a board painted in a three-by-three grid and four figurines: a grasshopper, a crow, a rat and something resembling a toad.

--------------------------------

@Etna Venus Van Ash: Aldern Foxglove smiles widely.
"Eva! If I protected you, then I can say I have done something I can be proud of when I meet Pharasma in her boneyard! But don't feel obligated to reward me, it is my duty as the current guardian of the Foxglove name to protect the people! But I beg you to tell me, are they treating you well? If you need anything, please come and ask for me, or tell Master Ionescu and I will go to defend you!"
A couple of other girls, jealous of you, scream to Aldern to gain his attention, asking him for tokens and such.
"I beg you excuse me, but I need to attend these other ladies."
He doesn't seem the least bothered by the attention he is receiving.
Anton Ionescu stays next to you, shaking his head in disbelief.


Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 2 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 16/16 l F +1 R +2 W +4 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Sense Motive, untrained: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17

”I don’t believe I have. What are the rules of the game?” Zomeraand replies, looking at the game pieces with interest.


HP 24/24 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 17 | F +5, R +6, W +2 | perception +7*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

Lief warily watches Carmen approach but says nothing until she offers him cheese, which he politely declines. When she protests he adds, ”I wasn’t even thinking about poison, I’m just not interested in your marriage cheese.”

When she snuggles up to him, he allows her to stay there for a little bit.

if she was blonde, or even a redhead, and had a bit more meat on her bones this might actually work... although it does feel nice to have someone snuggled up to me like this... she is right, though... Ingrid and I both have to sleep eventually and if they have their hearts set on seeing what’s in the carriage I won’t be able to keep them out forever... I could threaten her, maybe the promise that I’ll kill her brother if they storm the cart would dissuade her... of course, maybe it would just convince them to slit my throat while I sleep... I need to figure something out...

After a couple of minutes of sitting together he abruptly stands and says, ”I’m sorry, I have to go tend the horses,” then turns and walks away. He does go to the horse he’s been riding and makes sure that it has adequate feed and water, but when Carmen heads back to her group he hurries over to the old woman that hired him.

”We have a problem,” he informs her in a hushed voice. ”There’s a group of Sczarni in the caravan that are dead set on finding out what’s in the carriage, and it sounds like they mean to rob you. If they all came at once I’m not sure I could stop them, and if they wait until I fall asleep I definitely won’t be able to... I know it’s dangerous to leave the caravan but I think our best option might be to ride until the horses really need rest, to put some distance in between us and them, sleep as little as we can, and then ride hard for Sandpoint in the morning. They’re mostly all on foot, so they won’t be able to keep up. Either that or you may need to hire more guards... if there were three or four of us we could set up a watch rotation through the night and wouldn’t be so outnumbered if they just rushed us... What do you want to do?”


M'ara Human Witch 1 AC:17/17/14 HP:3/7 F:+1 R: +3 W: +2 Init: +3 Perception: +0

Sitting with the Bâlans family, M'ara was showing her Harrow cards to one of the girls when the ruckus with the horse began.

Looking up with alarm, it was all over very quickly with the quick actions of the dashing Varisia noble and his lackey,

Impressed, she calls out in Shoanti...

Shalat hudeen!:

Your spirit shows through!

She the hops off of the wagon to see if Olga was alright, being very solicitous for her well-being.

"Are you alright, 'grandmother'?"


M Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Fighter) 2

"I did a little, sir, but that was some of the best horsemanship I've ever seen!"


Male Human Nerd 11

Extra weekend roleplaying!

The Magician, Zomeraand wrote:
"I don't believe I have. What are the rules of the game?" Zomeraand replies, looking at the game pieces with interest.

Lucky Pete positively glows at Zomeraand's interest, and proceed to explain the game.

The simple rules make it easy to learn and popular among children, but the strategies involved require years to master. King of the Stump consists of a board painted in a three-by-three grid (the "Stump") and four figurines: the grasshopper, the crow, the old toad, and the rat. Each figurine moves and interacts with the other three differently, and players take turns moving the figure of their choice on the grid. The goal is to arrange the figures so the opponent can't move anything on their turn.
Almost at the end of the explanation, The Magician realizes a couple of passages of very old Thassilonian texts he had read could be reinterpreted in the game's terms (some sections where references to the figurines get more sense within the game's rules). That would mean the game is really old.
Lucky Pete sets up the board and you spend an entertaining time playing the game.
You get the clear impression Lucky Pete is going easy on you, letting you get the hang out of the game, and even letting you win a couple of games.

---------------------------------------

M'ara wrote:

She then hops off of the wagon to see if Olga was alright, being very solicitous for her well-being.

"Are you alright, 'grandmother'?"

Note: The leader of the Bâlans is the grandmother, Esmeralda. The girl that played with Shivi and introduce them to you yesterday, at lost the horse today, is Olga.

Before the horse incident, when you show up your harrow cards, a couple of the members of the Bâlans look interested. Esmeralda asks you about them.
"Not many of the Shoanti have, or believe, on the Harrow. Not as us Varisians anyway. Where did you get them? Do you know how to use them? Do they talk to you?"
After the horse incident, you look out for Olga.
Olga blushes and nods to Delin Chiri.
"I am fine, thank you. Delin here prevented me to make two mistakes in one day, as I know I shouldn't try to hold a bolting horse while on foot, but at the moment I forgot. I don't understand why Princess, the horse, bolted. She is normally a very calm horse. I am very ashamed I lost control of it."[/spoiler]

---------------------------------------

Anton Ionescu wrote:
"I did a little, sir, but that was some of the best horsemanship I've ever seen!"

Aldern Foxglove's chest seems to grow an inch more.

"I have been blessed with those abilities, Master Ionescu. But you did very well too, of course, didn't he, girls?"
Four girls next to you both nod in agreement. One even grabs hold of Anton's Ionescu's arm.
"In fact, I would love it if you could join us for a late supper at night. I feel like having a soiree tonight, to celebrate our good fortunes!"
He looks at Etna Venus Van Ash.
"You are of course invited too, Eva."
When the girls finally depart, he winks at Anton Ionescu.
"Seems like we will need to do some more heroics tonight, master Anton!"
He has the smile of the cat that ate the canary.

---------------------------------------

Lief Stoutspear wrote:
”We have a problem” he informs her in a hushed voice.

The old woman gets away from the carriage before she lets you inform what transpired. Her normal arrogant face and tone of voice disappear while Lief talks, and becomes worried and frightened, while paleness fills her face.

"Bandits! What can we do? Can you report them to the guards or the caravan master? Escape by night? Wouldn't that be more dangerous? Can we trust somebody? Of course we can't! I guess of all these... villans... are Szcarni too! What can we do? You have to protect us!"
She seems about to panic and lose control. You realize, whatever happens, it will depend on you, and not her.


Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 2 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 16/16 l F +1 R +2 W +4 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Zomeraand finds the game enjoyable, but after a few rounds, finally begs of any additional drubbings or kid-gloved games.

"Should we ask join one of the caravan fires?" he suggests to Pete, "Maybe listen to music or a story?"


JohnnyBlack wrote:

.....

Etna Venus Van Ash: Aldern Foxglove smiles widely.
"Eva! If I protected you, then I can say I have done something I can be proud of when I meet Pharasma in her boneyard! But don't feel obligated to reward me, it is my duty as the current guardian of the Foxglove name to protect the people! But I beg you to tell me, are they treating you well? If you need anything, please come and ask for me, or tell Master Ionescu and I will go to defend you!"
A couple of other girls, jealous of you, scream to Aldern to gain his attention, asking him for tokens and such.
"I beg you excuse me, but I need to attend these other ladies."
He doesn't seem the least bothered by the attention he is receiving.
Anton Ionescu stays next to you, shaking his head in disbelief.
....

----

sense: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

JohnnyBlack wrote:

.....

Aldern Foxglove's chest seems to grow an inch more.
"I have been blessed with those abilities, Master Ionescu. But you did very well too, of course, didn't he, girls?"
Four girls next to you both nod in agreement. One even grabs hold of Anton's Ionescu's arm.
"In fact, I would love it if you could join us for a late supper at night. I feel like having a soiree tonight, to celebrate our good fortunes!"
He looks at Etna Venus Van Ash.
"You are of course invited too, Eva."
When the girls finally depart, he winks at Anton Ionescu.
"Seems like we will need to do some more heroics tonight, master Anton!"
He has the smile of the cat that ate the canary.
....

Oh, was he playing hard to get?......

sense: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Eva replies back with a bit of a smile with her last words as she does a curtsey.
"I guess I'll accept your invite for dinner,
But I'm not on the menu."


Male Human Nerd 11

After a day of traveling, doing a good advance, the caravan stops at sundown. The clearing where you stop is a frequent place for caravans to stops when traveling from Magnimar to Sandpoint, and farther away.
There are several groups spending dinner time together.
On one hand, the caravan master hosts a bonfire with most of the loose travelers. Singing and dancing, Varisian style. Most of the "partying" Varisian group, including Carmen and his brother, are there too.
Not to be outshined, the Bâlans family has their bonfire. There is much more signing, but it is a Varisian style nevertheless. Anyone used in Varisian customs realizes Livia Taviskin is given a place of honor. Anton Chauvelle is getting asked to dance quite a lot, by all kinds of women, from children to old maids! Delin Chiri, M'ara, and The Magician, Zomeraand are also there. Yes, Lucky Pete knows (and seems well-liked) by the Balâns, and takes his boss to the group, "for some fun with good people".
Chance for you all your characters to keep bonding.
Farther away is the small "camp" of Aldern Foxglove. Very different from the Varisian bonfires, his "camp" has sophistication "chelaxian" style. Finer wines, a different kind of foods, and no signing, just him "entertaining" his guest with stories of the nobility of Magnimar, and tales of adventure from Chelaxian and Taldan history. 3 girls besides Etna Venus Van Ash accompany Aldern and Anton Ionescu. One of those girls, not holding Aldern Foxglove's arm, definitely is Nan, the girl Anton Ionescu used to play as a child in Sandpoint, and that now is traveling with the "partying" varisian group (can we call the Sczarni group already?). As far as Anton Ionescu remembers, she was a very timid and nice child. She has grown since those days. Aldern, on his part, is being very courteous and relaxed, easy on his confidence that he will sleep accompanied tonight, the question being more with quantity than other things. he is not a bad host if you like a more elegant style than those of the varisians.
Apart from those "fires" is the carriage Lief Stoutspear is guarding (you choose where between those groups you want to put the wagon). What will he do? the old woman refuses to join any other group, looking herself inside the wagon. The drivers, old as they are, go to sleep early, without knowing any danger that might hover over them.
As a footnote, they are not the loneliest group. The sourly looking dwarf that has kept for himself so far keeps away from the rest, sitting next to a small fire, eating alone, in silence.
So, what are your plans for the night? I am mostly interested in Lief's ones. If you plan to spend the night "accompanied", please let me know too. And with whom - wink wink)


HP 24/24 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 17 | F +5, R +6, W +2 | perception +7*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

Sorry, busy night. I’m posting back to our earlier conversation because if she ignores my warning and goes to bed I’m going to take that as option 3...

”Calm down,” Lief says as reassuringly as he can, ”I’ve been looking around and there’s one dwarf who might be a caravan guard that looks like he can handle himself in a fight, other than that there’s the sczarni and a couple random travelers who look like they know what they’re doing...”

”I know leaving is dangerous, but so is staying. I can’t protect you here by myself, so you have three choices, and you need to pick. One, we can ride off and make for Sandpoint on our own. Two, I can point out the travelers who look like they could be helpful and you can go try to hire them while I keep guarding the wagon. Or three, we can end our arrangement right now- I’ll give up any claim to the wages I earned today and you can take your chances with the caravan master; I’ll even go find him for you. What will it be?”


Male Human Nerd 11
Lief Stoutspear wrote:
Sorry, busy night. I’m posting back to our earlier conversation because if she ignores my warning and goes to bed I’m going to take that as option 3...

The plan here is for Lief to take charge, and not let the NPC call the shots. As a DM, I would love for Lief to go fetch the other PC's to help him, as the purpose of this "voyage" is for them to get to know and trust each other.

The old woman looks confused and afraid.
"But you can't leave us! We would die out here without your protection! The gods would curse you forever! And if we leave the caravan we would be on our own! We would be easy pickings! And I don't trust any of the other villains of the caravan! I am sure all of them are Szcarni!"
Lief realizes she won't be of much help...


Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 2 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 16/16 l F +1 R +2 W +4 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Zomeraand uses a prestidigitation cantrip to remove the rancid sweat and road dust from himself before approaching the group with Lucky Pete. Realizing his porter knows everyone, he pauses, giving the man a chance to make introductions.


M'ara Human Witch 1 AC:17/17/14 HP:3/7 F:+1 R: +3 W: +2 Init: +3 Perception: +0

Thanks for straightening the names out :)

M'ara is happy that Olga wasn't hurt, saying to Delin, "That was bravely done!"

She returns to the happy companionship of the Balan's, restarting her conversation with Esmerelda, "The Harrowing was thrust upon me, many just assumed I was a Harrower or fortune-teller...from my appearance." she says good-naturedly, "I am going to Sandpoint to learn from a older practitioner..."

-----

Later at the campsite, she participated gladly with the dancing and singing, carefree in her enjoyment of the Balan's and the other caravaners.


Male Human Nerd 11
The Magician, Zomeraand wrote:
Realizing his porter knows everyone, he pauses, giving the man a chance to make introductions.

And introduce you he does. You feel at home with the Bâlans and their other "guests" in a minute. But, differently that with the others, you are not invited to join their wagons.

Sense Motive DC 15:
Because it would hurt Lucky Pete's business.

Some 10 minutes after you join, a friendly scream is heard.
"Lucky! Brought your board with you? You owe me a rematch!"
Lucky Pete excuse himself, a wide smile on his mouth, and goes for his rematch.

-----------------------

M'ara wrote:
She returns to the happy companionship of the Balan's, restarting her conversation with Esmerelda, "The Harrowing was thrust upon me, many just assumed I was a Harrower or fortune-teller...from my appearance." she says good-naturedly, "I am going to Sandpoint to learn from a older practitioner..."

Esmeralda smiles a mysterious smile.

"Madame Mvashti. You are blessed, child. Good luck. That is your path now."


Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 2 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 16/16 l F +1 R +2 W +4 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

"Thank you for your hospitality," Zomeraand replies, understanding that there was no disrespect in the conspicuous absence of an offer to join their caravan, realizing they didn't want to deprive Pete of his sole client.

He mingles with the others, offering to use his cantrips to create small illusions and fireworks for the assembly.


M Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Fighter) 2

Anton grins and manages not to roll his eyes; the horsemanship was legitimately great. This guy chased tail more than a buck recruit his first weekend out. Nan had certainly turned out lovely, but it was hard to forget playing toy soldiers with her. "Nan, right? It's Anton. Ionescu! I grew up in Sandpoint." He smiles broadly.
diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17


Male Human Nerd 11
The Magician, Zomeraand wrote:
He mingles with the others, offering to use his cantrips to create small illusions and fireworks for the assembly.

Which are very well-liked.

Anton Ionescu wrote:
"Nan, right? It's Anton. Ionescu! I grew up in Sandpoint." He smiles broadly.

Nan stands up as if you had threatened to murder her, face white and eyes wide open.

"You confused me with someone else. Very rude of you. I'll take my leave now."
She quickly goes to the "main" bonfire before you or Aldern Foxglove can say another word.
Aldern looks at you while grabbing the girl that was sitting next to you, grinning.
"Your loss..."
Now he has two girls next to him, and you are sitting next to Etna Venus Van Ash.
Unbeknownst of both of you, you just saved Aldern from being robbed that night.


HP 24/24 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 17 | F +5, R +6, W +2 | perception +7*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

Ok. In character, I really don’t want to walk away from the carriage because Lief thinks the sczarni will try something right away, but ooc I understand (now) that you’re trying to get me an opportunity to interact with the other PCs. Thanks.

Lief sighs and mumbles, ”no god is going to curse me for not helping someone who’s actively making it impossible to help...”

He looks around for a moment and then continues more loudly and clearly, ”alright, listen... I don’t want to move away from the carriage because I think they may try something right away, but apparently that’s the only option, so you stay here and get ready to raise an alarm if anyone really gets too close and I’ll go see if I can get some backup.”

Without really waiting for a response he grabs his bow and trots off towards the nobleman who stopped the horse earlier. When he gets close he slows to a walk and waves to the noble and his retainer. ”Umm, excuse me sir,” he calls out awkwardly, ”I’m sorry to bother you but, uh, I saw you two stop that horse earlier, and, well, I’m trying to help protect a carriage, and a sczarni girl told me they were going to rob it when I fell asleep... Oh, I’m Lief by the way, Lief Stoutspear. I was wondering if, uh, there was any chance that maybe we could spend the nights with you, if you’re planning on having a watch rotation? I’d be glad to take one of the shifts, obviously... or, maybe you could come spend the night with us... I can try to round up a few other people too, if we need more people for a full rotation...”

I’m approaching Aldern and Anton, in case they wasn’t clear.


Etna tries to help Anton some, though she does so a bit foolishly.
"Don't worry Anton, your not the first to mistake someone for someone else.
And since when did you get shorter then me, I recall you always being bigger then me and protecting me from bullies as a child."

Sense vs Nan words: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7 Nope


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Fighter) 2

"Must be those piss poor rations you get 'soldiering.'" He doesn't mask bitterness. "Doubt you need much protection these days. Good. You saw right through Lord Goldick.*


Etna replies back to Anton quietly
"He likes a look of a chest
and will never give that a rest,
Looking to enter the gate
and saying it's fate
To many a lass
while grabbing their a$$."

Starting to think I should of done a bard.....

Etna sees Lief approach the group and speaking to the men of the group.

Etna then asks the other girls
"Why don't we entertain the men with some dancing as they talk?"

51 to 100 of 578 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / JohnnyBlack's Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.