JohnnyBlack's Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition

Game Master JohnnyBlack

Goblin Attack!
The new cathedral consecration ceremony gets interrupted by a surprise goblin attack!
Combat Map


501 to 537 of 537 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

HP 24/24 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 17 | F +5, R +6, W +2 | perception +7*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

Lief turns towards the mangy mount, and can’t help but chuckle just a tiny bit at the sight of the dead goblin flopping around in the saddle. The seriousness of the situation, however, quickly comes crashing back as the beast attacks M’ara. The young ranger strings another and let’s it fly at the creature’s rib cage.

longbow (pb): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
for: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
confirm?: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
for an additional: 2d8 + 2 ⇒ (2, 2) + 2 = 6


M'ara Human Witch 1 AC:17/17/14 HP:3/7 F:+1 R: +3 W: +2 Init: +3 Perception: +0

M'ara's eyes widen as the goblin dog runs towards him, it's master bouncing about.

She feels a moment of sympathy for the mutt, but only a moment as she steps aside at the last moment, it's slobbery maw snapping at her as it charges past.

M'ara takes a step back , slaps another bolt into her crossbow and fires...

Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 6


M Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Fighter) 2

warhammer: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Anton comes along and wallops the goblin dog.


Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 2 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 16/16 l F +1 R +2 W +4 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Too close to the beast to risk casting a spell, Zomeraand lunges at it with his dagger. (Swift Action: Arcane Strike)

Melee Attack: 1d20 ⇒ 4

Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


Male Human Nerd 11

Did The Magician Zomeraand hit anything this combat? I guess you DID do something to the dice roller... :)
The poor Goblin Dog is pierced by arrow, bolt and finally pounded by a Warhammer to paste.
Combat Over!


Aldern comes out from hiding, rapier in hand, and moves next to the Goblin Dog. He puts a foot on the dead creature and smiles to you all.
"I thank you all for helping me defeat this Goblin Raid party. I am in your debt, and I will make you are recognized and rewarded handsomely. Master Ionescu, I admire you skill and courage."


M'ara Human Witch 1 AC:17/17/14 HP:3/7 F:+1 R: +3 W: +2 Init: +3 Perception: +0

M'ara walks up, a little miffed that the noble was singling out Anton for praise, crouches and snaps the end off of the bolt she put into the Goblin Rider's brain pan, "This one's mine, I think...".

While looking Aldern in the eye, and glancing with disapproval at his foot on the dog, she ties the bolt feathers to one of her fetishes that hang off of her armor.

Satisfied, she then stands and sees if she can retrieve any of the other bolts she fired...dismissing the noble from her attention.


M Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Fighter) 2

"To be honest, that was more action than I saw on my whole stint. So great!"


HP 24/24 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 17 | F +5, R +6, W +2 | perception +7*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

Lief gives a quick nod to the familiar nobleman as he readies another arrow.

”Glad to be of service, Lord Foxglove,” he answers, ”have you seen any other goblins in the area?” As he speaks, the Ulfen begins intentionally moving about looking and listening for any sign of additional goblins nearby.

perception (fe): 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 6 + 2 = 27


Male Human Nerd 11

It seems like the Goblin attack as finished.
But...
Weird, looking east, over the wall... a stair to climb up the wall?
On the inside of the wall?


Female Half Elf (Varisian) Witch/1

Delin moves slowly from person to person, inspecting them for wounds and placing her hands to any that require healing. Noting the stares of the others she will look in that direction.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23


Male Human Nerd 11

Delin sees the stair too.


HP 24/24 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 17 | F +5, R +6, W +2 | perception +7*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

”Someone set up a staircase over there, from inside the city,” Lief calls out. With his bow still at the ready, he jogs towards the stairs to investigate.


Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 2 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 16/16 l F +1 R +2 W +4 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Zomeraand follows Lief over to where he has indicated as the location of the staircase. Once there, he takes a moment to look at it, and see if there any clues as to who built it, or how long it took them to do so.

Knowledge, Engineering: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Appraise: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

(I'd be mad if it weren't so funny...)


Male Human Nerd 11

You all (including Aldern Foxglove, who decides being with you is safer) go behind the Catedral, and discover a graveyard between the new building and the town wall.
The town wall is some 15 feet high, and there is a wooden stair set up against it, allowing anyone to climb to the top.
There aren't any goblins or townspeople that you can see at first glance.


HP 24/24 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 17 | F +5, R +6, W +2 | perception +7*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

Lief moves through the graveyard to the stair, trying not to step on any of the graves. About ten feet before arriving he holds up a hand to his companions and says, "please wait here for a moment." Crouching down, he moves forward very cautiously while examining the ground for whatever footprints may have been left behind by whoever used the stair.

survival (track): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
I get an extra +2 to that if it was goblins

edit: gah! stupid RNG


Male Human Nerd 11

They didn't make an effort to hide them. Yes, there are several goblin tracks. But not an "army size" number.


HP 24/24 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 17 | F +5, R +6, W +2 | perception +7*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

Lief stands and calls back to his companions, ”there were definitely goblins through here... but why would they come through the graveyard to leave, and how would they know the stair was here? Unless they were just back here causing trouble and happen to see it?”

Are any of the grave markers vandalized at all?

Crouching back down he adds, ”I can’t tell much from what’s here but maybe, with Erastil’s blessing, I might be able to tell where they came from...”

survival to actually follow the tracks: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 7 + 2 = 13

Looks like we’re in this together Zomeraand


Male Human Nerd 11

Lief Stoutspear isn't able to discern much... the graves around here are not vandalized.


M Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Fighter) 2

survival: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Anton walks over to check out the tracks. "Huh."


Male Human Nerd 11

Now we are talking...
A dozen goblins exited the town via the wooden stair.
With a boot-wearing medium humanoid. Good quality boots.
They didn't enter the town this way, only exited here.
And that square... they were carrying a box, one foot each side. Not very heavy (like would be with a gold-filled box).
They came from a big crypt in the middle of the graveyard.


Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 2 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 16/16 l F +1 R +2 W +4 l Init +2 l Perc +1

(Assuming Anton points them out to the rest of the group...)

"Who's crypt were they robbing, and why?" Zomeraand wonders as he approaches the doorway to the crypt, looking for the name of its occupant.


Male Human Nerd 11

The crypt seems to important, being in the middle of the graveyard, even if not the biggest or more elaborate.
It is small, a niche, constructed to keep an ashes urn, you guess.
On top of it, a stone butterfly and a name: Father Ezakien Tobyn.
The door is forced and broken, set aside. And the niche is empty.

Knowledge Local DC 12:
Father Ezakien Tobyn was the previous principal priest of Sandpoint until the fire that destroyed the previous church claimed his life and several orphans that lived there. Father Zantus was his disciple.


Female Half Elf (Varisian) Witch/1

The half elf's brow knits at this latest puzzle. "Why would goblins steal such a thing?" she questions aloud until (if) Lief reveals they were moving with a larger being.

Her mind rolls over her thoughts of wanting to scribe from the new temple, and perhaps find work as a scribe. Recovering the remains of the previous priest couldn't hurt. She turns back the way they came, wondering if she would perhaps be needed to tend to the wounded. The dilemma is evident on her fair features as they tighten in concern and then relax in uncertainty.

"Should we go after them?" she asks the others.


HP 24/24 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 17 | F +5, R +6, W +2 | perception +7*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

”I had no idea you were a skilled tracker,” Lief says jovially while giving Anton a literal pat on the back, ”maybe you can give me some pointers some time.”

With his bow at the ready, he follows the tracker back to the crypt. He frowns as they discover the theft of a priest’s remains. When Delin asks about trying to follow those who fled over the wall his brow furrows as well. ”My priority is the townsfolk...” he answers hesitantly, ”as much as I liked to put arrows through a few more goblins, and find out what in the hells a person was doing with them, I think I need to sweep the streets for stragglers and report what we found here to the sheriff and the high priest...”


Female Half Elf (Varisian) Witch/1

Delin offers the man a genuine smile at the thought of helping the townsfolk. "That sounds like a good idea." she acknowledges. Checking that she hadn't lost any of her possessions in the fight she turns and twists in place as she goes over her clothing to check the hidden pockets and dangling material components.


M Human Fighter (Two-Weapon Fighter) 2

Anton smiles at Lief. "I was just lucky is all. Sarge never had much use for my tracking. Haven't hunted a day in my life, to be honest." He then turns to the others. "I hear that, but if we've got a chance to catch up to the little a+*%@+@s, it's now. Surely not everyone needs to go tell the priest the same thing ..."


As Aldern Foxglove glances about nervously looking for more goblins, he thanks you.
"I'll be in town for a few more days; I'm staying at the White Deer Inn right here, and when you got a chance, and things quiet down, I'd love to talk with you more and perhaps reward you properly for saving my life."
With that goes his way to the Inn.


Male Human Nerd 11

VICTORY!

By the time your characters defeat the goblin commando and save Aldern Foxglove from his fate, Sandpoint's overall battle against the goblins has been decided. Surviving goblins flee north in droves, in some cases preferring to leap to their certain deaths off the cliff at Junker's Edge rather than be captured. Several of the little menaces are caught alive, but they prove useless when interrogated; none of these goblins know much more than that they were given orders to kill everyone in town and burn down the place. None of the captured goblins can even remember their leader's name, apart from the fact that he was one of "you longshanks".

But you know the secret mission of that person. Go to the town's graveyard and steal the urn containing the ashes of Father Ezakien Tobyn, the well-loved former priest of the town.

In the shadow of the goblin attack, Sandpoint is hardly interested in finishing up the Swallowtail Festival. Citizens retreat to their homes to hide and recover from the day's horrors, yet as they go, they take the time to thank your characters for saving them.

Welcome to Level 2! Time to level up!
Tomorrow I will continue with the events after the battle.


HP 24/24 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 17 | F +5, R +6, W +2 | perception +7*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

Huzzah!


M'ara Human Witch 1 AC:17/17/14 HP:3/7 F:+1 R: +3 W: +2 Init: +3 Perception: +0

Sorry, got a bit busy there...

M'ara joins the others in puzzling over the stairs and the theft of the urn of ashes, "Why steal the holy man's ashes...desecration?...sounds personal..." she muses, before returning to the town center and accepting the many thanks from the townspeople.


Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 2 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 16/16 l F +1 R +2 W +4 l Init +2 l Perc +1

"A mystery's afoot," Zomeraand says thoughtfully to no one in particular. "The ashes were needed or wanted so badly that the thief was willing to conscript goblins to burn the whole town? Is there someone who might fill us in on local history, past events or the priest whose ashes were taken?"


HP 24/24 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 17 | F +5, R +6, W +2 | perception +7*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

"I bet the high priest or the sheriff could," Lief answers the magician, "let's go tell them what we found and see what light they can shed on it."


Female Half Elf (Varisian) Witch/1

"I would be interested in talking with the high priest." Delin mentions, "That was my original intention in coming here. As well as the book I am transcribing."

She turns to find where Olga ended up, wanting to recover her crossbow and praise the young woman. As she steps away though she thinks of something more and quickly returns to add, "If anyone would like to go with me..."


Male Human Wizard (Universalist) 2 l AC 16 T 13 FF 14 l HP 16/16 l F +1 R +2 W +4 l Init +2 l Perc +1

"After this chaos, I am sure the priest and the sheriff will be close at hand to one another," Zomeraand replies. "Let's go see them, shall we?"


M'ara Human Witch 1 AC:17/17/14 HP:3/7 F:+1 R: +3 W: +2 Init: +3 Perception: +0

M'ara nods, "Yes, let's talk with the High Priest." accompanying Delin and whomever else in seeking out the holy man.


HP 24/24 | AC 16 (t13/ff13) | CMD 17 | F +5, R +6, W +2 | perception +7*; +3 initiative | active effects: --

Lief smiles as others decide to join in seeking out the sheriff and high priest. With his bow still drawn, he hurries along with them.

501 to 537 of 537 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / JohnnyBlack's Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.