Rise of the Runelords by DM Doctor Evil (again)

Game Master DM DoctorEvil

Rise of the Runelord. Chapter 3

Hook Mountain Clanhold Overview Map

Hook Mountain Battle Mapb


4,801 to 4,850 of 5,564 << first < prev | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | next > last >>

Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

+1 ogre hook +16/+11 (2d8+13/19-20/×3): 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (19) + 16 = 352d8 + 13 ⇒ (4, 8) + 13 = 251d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 312d8 + 11 ⇒ (8, 6) + 11 = 25 vs AC 22 Adolina (not charging) two threats
+1 ogre hook +16/+11 (2d8+13/19-20/×3): 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (18) + 16 = 342d8 + 13 ⇒ (4, 8) + 13 = 251d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 282d8 + 11 ⇒ (1, 1) + 11 = 13 vs AC 22 Adolina (not charging) two crits
Adolina, assuming the 3d6 is precision damage. You are not flanking, so I am discounting it. You did 28 damage total.
Robin, frustrated at the silence, gets out his whip and distracts the ogre slightly helping Adolina with her attack, which she uses to good effect, hitting the ogre twice. Cadas moves slightly forward, and also hits and wounds the ogre. Marcellano draws his crossbow and also distracts the ogre, hopefully allowing Adolina to continue to hit the ogre.

The ogre, seeing that only Adolina is hitting it, critically hits the half-elf twice, killing her instantly.

Next?
Level Map Updated

Everyone UP
Init (HP Cur/Max, AC)

Robin 23 (96/96, 20)
Adolina 17 (dead/104, 22)
Cadas 13 (85/85, 23,24 consecrated shield)
Marcellano 12 (68/68, 15,ma19)
Foe(s) 8

Tough Ogre:
HP 42[131] AC21 T10 F20 CMD16; F13 R3 W5+1 vs fear


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15
Marcellano Gallenica wrote:

Damn, it's hard for me to do anything while silenced...

Its only A 20’ radius. Hoped you could get out of it.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Dadas moves to Adelina and casts Breath of Life on her, casting defensively.

Concentration, DC 25: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (19) + 14 = 33

Breath of Life: 5d8 + 9 ⇒ (6, 3, 1, 1, 6) + 9 = 26

Not sure that is enough to mattter with two cries. Perhaps the first crit dropped her and the second was against Cadas?


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

Marcellano tries to bellow Adolina's name as he sees the half-elf fall--but with the spell, nothing comes out. He seizes the rod at his belt again, taking a small step to have a clear shot through the doorway, and unleashes bolts of fire at the ogre. Please, please don't let her be dead...

Scorching Ray 1 vs. Touch: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (2) + 7 - 4 = 5 Oh, COME ON.
Damage: 4d6 ⇒ (3, 3, 3, 1) = 10

Scorching Ray 2 vs. Touch: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 7 - 4 = 19
Damage: 4d6 ⇒ (3, 6, 4, 3) = 16

Using the lesser silent rod for the second time today to cast scorching ray.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Breath of Life saves me - unconscious and stable at -3...


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Horrified by what he believes is Adolina's demise, Robin seems to freeze in place. It is only after Marcellano launches rays of fire at the ogre that Robin realizes he still needs to do something! He moves to far corner he expects might be out of the area of effect of the silence. And he attempts to conjure grease underneath the ogre.

Delay until after Marcellano. Then Grease, Reflex DC16 on the ogre's squares to try and trip it.


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

Ogre Reflex: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16 vs DC 16
+1 ogre hook +16/+11 (2d8+13/19-20/×3): 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (9) + 16 = 252d8 + 13 ⇒ (6, 2) + 13 = 211d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 222d8 + 11 ⇒ (7, 6) + 11 = 24 vs AC 24 / 23 Cadas
@Cadas - It took both hits to drop Adolina, so she gets both of them.
@Adolina - I had you at -5 after the bol but -3 is fine.
@Robin - I changed your action a bit. Youse guys were still in the silence affect.

Robin quickly grabs the dagger with silence on it, and throws it down the hallway, so all are outside the silence affect. He then casts grease on the area that the ogre is in, hoping for it to fall down, but the creature is still standing. Cadas defensively casts breath of life on the dead Adolina, which brings her back to life, and while she is still down, she has stopped bleeding out. Marcellano casts rays of fire at the creature, but misses on the first one but continues to wound it with the second ray.

The ogre swings twice at Cadas, hitting her with his first swing, but even as her consecrated shield drops, he misses with the second one.

Next?
Level Map Updated

Everyone UP
Init (HP Cur/Max, AC)

Robin 23 (96/96, 20)
Adolina 17 (-3/104, 22) and stable
Cadas 13 (64/85, 23,24 consecrated shield)
Marcellano 12 (68/68, 15,ma19)
Foe(s) 8

Tough Ogre:
HP 26[131] AC21 T10 F20 CMD16; F13 R3 W5+1 vs fear


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Cadas activates her Bramble Armor as a swift and attacks twice, fighting defensively.

Trident: 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 10 + 2 + 2 = 161d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Trident: 1d20 + 5 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 5 + 2 + 2 = 121d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Thanks, I like my corrected action much better!

"Not so funny when its your own guts spilling out eh, fat boy? This Shoanti warrior's gonna end you!" Robin delivers a Cutting Remark to the Ogre, while encouraging Cadas!

5-foot step. Move action to Inspire Greatness on Cadas. Standard action to Cutting Remark on the ogre.

Cutting Remark (nonlethal damage): 1d4 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

Status Effects:
Heroism (Cadas / Adolina): +2 morale bonus to attack, saves, skills
Inspire Greatness (Cadas): +2 competence bonus to attack, +1 competence bonus to Fort, +22 Temp HP (d10+Con x 2)
Cutting Remark: Ogre is sickened while within 30 feet of Robin, and for 1 round after
Grease under ogre: DC10 acrobatics if the ogre moves or it might fall


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

If I'm reading the stats correctly, I think that might actually put it down (NL equal to remaining hp)...gonna wait to see if I'm right before wasting another spell!


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

It is at 26 hp. Cadas missed twice and Robin did not do enough damage to kill it.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

...I don't know why I didn't process Cadas's attack rolls.

Spellcraft to ID Breath of Life: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (9) + 17 = 26

Realizing that the spell Cadas cast means that Adolina will not be in immediate danger of bleeding out, Marcellano lets out a sigh of relief. I only hope we can keep the brute distracted enough to kill it before it notices she's alive! He dispatches another pair of missiles from his wand.

Magic Missile: 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (3, 1) + 2 = 6


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

+1 ogre hook +16/+11 (2d8+13/19-20/×3): 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (17) + 16 = 332d8 + 13 ⇒ (6, 1) + 13 = 201d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 182d8 + 11 ⇒ (4, 4) + 11 = 19 vs AC 23 Cadas

Robin speaks harshly to the ogre, causing it to flinch in pain, but doing no actual physical damage. He also aids Cadas in her ability to fight this creature. Adolina, unconscious just lays there, but is not bleeding out. Cadas, even with Robin help, is having a bad day and misses the ogre twice with her trident. Marcellano, realizes that Cadas has brought Adolina back from deaths door, uses his wand of magic missiles and slightly wounds the ogre, hoping to save the elf.

The ogre, seeing one foe down, turns to the next foe and swings his hook at her, however he only hits her once, doing a goodly amount of damage to her.

Next?

Everyone UP
Init (HP Cur/Max, AC)

Robin 23 (96/96, 20)
Adolina 17 (-3/104, 22)
Cadas 13 (44/85, 23,24 consecrated shield)
Marcellano 12 (68/68, 15,ma19)
Foe(s) 8

Tough Ogre:
HP 20[-12nl/8 before unconcious][131] AC21 T10 F20 CMD16; F13 R3 W5+1 vs fear


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

This time when Cadas is hit her Bramble Armor hits back, doing surprising damage.

Brambles: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Pleased that the ogre did not think to call out for help she tries to end it.

Trident: 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 10 + 2 + 2 = 261d8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 4 + 2 = 13

Trident: 1d20 + 5 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 5 + 2 + 2 = 201d8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 2 = 12


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Don't forget Cadas has 2 HD of temporary HP so she's a bit healthier! As I mentioned in discussion the question is whether that temp HP is also maximized like our normal HP.

Robin stops his magical hard if assistance to save resources. He sees if Cadas can finish the job.

Delay until after Cadas. Another cutting remark will do it if Cadas misses.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Hello?


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

Was waiting for all to check in before posting, but here goes.
@Robin - Yes, maximize temporary HP.

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 41d4 ⇒ 1

Robin, waiting to see if Cadas trident will put the creature down, waits a moment, and is rewarded for is patience as the bramble armor, and the first trident strike is enough to kill the creature.

Next?
Level Map Updated

Status
(HP Cur/Max, AC)

Robin (96/96, 20)
Adolina (-3/104, 22) STABLE
Cadas (44/85, 23,24 consecrated shield)
Marcellano (68/68, 15,ma19)

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina lies unconscious on the floor... dreaming of comforting shadows and strange smells.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Wow, my phone spell check did some weird things to my earlier post!

"Adolina--rise and shine! Robin pops out his healing wand and starts using it.
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

"Are you feeling better yet?"
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

"Are you awake?"
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

"Does it sting?"
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

"We're just going to keep doing this until you feel better."
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

The babbling seems endless!
CLWx10 on Adolina: 10d8 + 10 ⇒ (4, 6, 3, 1, 6, 3, 3, 1, 5, 4) + 10 = 46

Adolina heals 75, putting her at 72 HP. Cadas should be at 64 HP (20 points healthier) because the last Ogre attack should have been deducted from temporary HP. 15 charges remain on the CLW wand, and I wouldn't mind using it all up.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Hold a moment Robin. Let me call on Gozrah for healing before you use up your wand. It will likely still be needed as Adolina's wounds are grievous.

Channel Positive: 5d6 ⇒ (1, 6, 3, 2, 5) = 17

Channel Positive: 5d6 ⇒ (1, 3, 4, 4, 3) = 15

Channel Positive: 5d6 ⇒ (1, 1, 6, 2, 3) = 13

45 points and a third of my channels for the day.

That was a tough fight. I think we underestimated it some and pulled punches early. I fear we cannot expect to clear this place with our current group if one ogre can do some much damage to us.

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

As Adolina comes round and hears Cadas' assessment of the combat she nods. "Yeah, we need to go all out every time I think. Marcellano, do you have any spells that effect large areas? We're going to need to be as official as possible."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

Hey, good timing--my show opened last night! :P

Marcellano breathes out a sigh of relief when Adolina comes to. He frowns as the others discuss their plan of attack, and spreads his hands helplessly.

"I do know such spells, but I had thought stealth would be our friend, so I haven't prepared many...I have, however, plenty of spells prepared that will help us keep on a more even footing with these monsters. And, for that matter, spells that will help us escape if we need to. I'm prepared to cast the spell you're all familiar with that slows down relative time haste more than once, and I also have a new spell I'd like to try that can create a barrier to separate our foes from one another and, if need be, prevent them from pursuing us wall of force. I do have a number of summoning spells--I think the thing to do next time we expect combat is for me to cast spells before we actually open the door."

Like I said...I didn't bring a whole bunch of big blast-y spells because I figured we'd be stealthy (and, more importantly, inside and in tight quarters). But I do have Haste x2, Wall of Force x2, various summons, web, lightning bolt...

Marcellano thinks a moment, then adds, "If we find ourselves facing a single one of these beasts again, it might be worth not leaping to kill it...I have a spell that might charm it, and inside information could be very valuable. We can always slay it later, when the spell wears off."


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

"It's hard to be my brilliant self when the whole room is silent. Next time, we're gonna hit 'em with everything we've got!"

Robin heads over the fallen ogre. "You sure you want to become friends with a stinky ogre? I know they're cute, but they really don't have anything going on upstairs." He searches the ogre for any valuables.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Yes, that silence was a double edged sword. But it did work and the fort has not been alerted. Are we ready to proceed?


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Robin nods. "Yup! Let's do it!"

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

"Perhaps we could get a wand or some other item with silence on it?" Adolina suggests. "That kind of thing could be really useful for me when I'm scouting, or against spellcasters - but it needs to be on me, not where it can effect Robin."

Silently Adolina presses on, leading the way to the next door and easing it open slowly.

Stealth: 1d20 + 31 ⇒ (7) + 31 = 38
Stealth: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (9) + 14 = 23


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

The spell duration ended, Cadas retrieves her dagger. She would cast Detect Magic and search the dead Ogre and his room if that has not yet been done.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

Marcellano falls in behind his friends, wand in hand and the other hand ready at his spell component pouch.


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 191d4 ⇒ 4
With Adolina stable now, Cadas channels Gozreh healing energies and Cadas is healed completely, and Adolina is substantially better. Robin uses his wand of curing, and brings the scout up to full health. Checking out the ogre, you find some magical hide armor, and the hook that it was using is also magical. There is nothing else of interest on the creature. Inspecting the dead body, you find that it appears to have been a cleric of Erastil, as his holy symbol is still hanging from his next.

Moving down the hallway Adolina listens at the first door on her left (opposite side of the hallway from the current one) and hearing nothing opens it silently, and moves into the room, empty of opponents.

A long table with benches to either side sits in this room opposite a bookshelf flled with dozens of books, most of which have been torn from the shelves, mangled, and then messily stuffed back in place.

Next?
Level Map Updated

Status
(HP Cur/Max, AC)

Robin (96/96, 20)
Adolina (104/104, 22)
Cadas (85/85, 23,24 consecrated shield) 23
Marcellano (68/68, 15,ma19)

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina beckons the rest of the group into the room and heads for the door at the far end of the room.

Taking 10's.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Robin sees if there's any book that would still look valuable and intact after the ogres have rifled through it.
Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (7) + 13 = 20


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

In the room with the dead ogre.

Gather what is magical, even if we cannot use it. We can sell it, converting it to resources to continue the fight. Cadas bends to examine the fallen cleric, trying to determine his cause of death and how long he had been dead. Erastil. she confirms looking at his holy symbol. I would avenge his death if I can.

Heal: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (16) + 14 = 30

At the first door on her left.

Cadas casts Detect Magic and helps search.

Perception: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (19) + 18 = 37


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 161d4 ⇒ 2
@Cadas - "assuming" the heal check is to see what the priest of Erastil died from.

Back at room with dead ogre
Cadas checks the body of the priest of Erastil, and decides that he was tortured to death by the ogres when the took over the fort from the rangers. You pick up the two magical items, the hide armor and the hook, and stick them in a pack, to be sold later.

In the round room off the library
Adolina sees an empty round room, with a ladder in it that leads to a trap door in the ceiling. Recalling the outside of the fort, this probably leads to one of the inner watch towers. From the dust still on the ladder, and it being sized for men, she believes that the ogres have not used the ladder to reach the tower.

Robin checks the book, and finds that nothing here is magical, however there are documents detailing the history of the order, as well as geographical maps and bestiaries of the local animals and beasts.

Next?

I'd move you along, but don't know whether you will go thru the single door on this side, or the double doors on the other side of the hallway.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Can we check watch tower?


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Seems fun to me!

"Looks like nobody's been up this tower. Maybe there's something useful inside that the ogres haven't found yet." Robin checks the way up the tower for traps or issues. Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina shrugs and stands aside to let Robin climb the ladder. "I guess we could try and flee this way if we had to..."

She returns to the hallway and listens at both doors, trying to get a sense of what is beyond.

Taking 10 on stealth
Perception, single door: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (8) + 14 = 22
Perception, double door: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (14) + 14 = 28


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Robin switches to his stealthy mask and opens the door to the watch tower!

stealth take 10: 23 + 10 = 33


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Right. Best to secure that tower now and make sure nothing unfriendly waits up there. And a quick peek around to let us know the readiness of the fort outside would be nice to know as well. After, I think it best to clear the doors as we go down the hall, small doors first. No use suddenly having enemies in the hall on both sides of us.


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 101d4 ⇒ 1
Climbing the ladder, and opening the trap door you find yourselves in a watchtower with a door leading out to the south. You can see the second floor of Fort Rannick behind you, and the courtyard and also the countryside beyond. Checking the door, and opening it you see a battlement that heads to the south and there is another watchtower. It turns west, but your view is blocked by the Fort second floor. There has been no disturbance up here for quite a while. It seems the ogres can't fit thru the trapdoor, and don't care at this point.

Heading back down, and south along the hallway, Adolina checks both doors, listening carefully, but hears nothing.

Next?
Level Map Updated

Ignore the ogre off the map on the left side. That is my "copy this" token.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Cadas points to the 5' door on the East side. She intends to cast a buff spell before the door is opened.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Before the next door is opened Cadas casts the following: Communal Delay Poison, Aura of Doom (DC 19) on herself, and Freedom of Movement and Barkskin (+3 Natural Armor) on Adolina.

Aura of Doom:

School necromancy [emotion, fear, mind-affecting]; Level cleric/oracle 4

CASTING

Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, M/DF (powdered bone)

EFFECT

Range personal
Area 20-ft.-radius emanation centered on you
Duration 10 minute/level
Saving Throw Will negates; Spell resistance yes

DESCRIPTION

You emanate an almost palpable aura of horror. All non-allies within this spell’s area, or that later enter the area, must make a Will save to avoid becoming shaken. A successful save suppresses the effect. Creatures that leave the area and come back must save again to avoid being affected by the effect.

Spells on:

Aura of Doom (80 minutes)
Protection from Evil 10' r (80 minutes)
Communal Resist Energy Fire (80 minutes)
Communal Resist Energy Electriity (80 minutes)
Communal Delay Poison (80 minutes)
Heroism (80 minutes)

On Adolina: Freedom of Movement and Barkskinon Adolina. (both 80 minutes)


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Their diversion completed, Robin gets back into position, ready to head east as Cadas recommends.

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina slowly cracks the door and peeks in. If she sees enemies she shows on her fingers the number of foes and tries to slip inside the room stealthily.

40 on stealth unless I have to roll. :)


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

Moving along a bit....

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 171d4 ⇒ 4
Satisfied that there is nothing of interest along the battlement, Adolina leads the group to the next set of doors, and hearing nothing from either, she opens the single door to the east, pausing first to give Cadas time to cast some preparatory spells. It appears to be some kind of quarters with a single bed and a desk. The room has been tossed, but unlike other rooms, the furniture has not yet been destroyed. Moving across the hallway to the double door, Adolina opens it and sees a room(B25); this ramshackle area is a mess of smashed tables, broken crockery, and rubble. No living thing stirs here. There is another door on the other side of the room, and the outside hallway continues south to more doors and passages leading both east and west at its end.

Next?
Level Map Updated


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Cadas keeps a watchful eye out for both valuables and danger and maintains Detect Magic.

Perception: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (17) + 18 = 35

The other door next I think. She recommends. Note that she is also closing doors behind here so that nothing looks disturbed from the way the group has found the place.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

"Looks like someone had a food fight!" concludes Robin as he tiptoes around the broken crockery. He's seen removing his Stalker's Mask and putting on his Medusa Mask. "Ready when you are!"

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina moves onwards as Cadas suggests, staying as silent as always.


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 101d4 ⇒ 4

Moving across the wrecked room, Adolina listens at the door, and hearing nothing opens it to reveal a kitchen(B26). This kitchen is in total shambles, as if a cyclone had moved through the room, smashed every bit of furniture, bent every bit of silverware, and partially collapsed the stone fireplace. The door on the other side is slightly ajar, so Adolina checks that out also, and all that remains in this room(B27) is a half-smashed crate and an untouched barrel.

Next?
Level Map Updated


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Magic?


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

Probably not in the kitchens, but always good to check. :P

Assuming there isn't any...down to the next door on the east side of the hall?

4,801 to 4,850 of 5,564 << first < prev | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Papa.DRB - Rise of the Runelords - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.