Rise of the Runelords by DM Doctor Evil (again)

Game Master DM DoctorEvil

Rise of the Runelord. Chapter 3

Hook Mountain Clanhold Overview Map

Hook Mountain Battle Mapb


4,851 to 4,900 of 5,564 << first < prev | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina checks the barrel before moving on down the east side of the hallway.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Robin seems disappointed that this is a dead end . . . unless Adolina finds something in that barrel!


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 71d4 ⇒ 1
Cadas continues to check for magic in the rooms that you have explored, however there are no magic items to be found. Adolina checks the barrel and finds that it contains a delicacy that the ogres must not have liked, it is pickled fish.

Moving down the hallway, Adolina checks both single doors on the east side, and after nearing nothing quickly opens the doors and discovers that they are rooms just like the one to the north. Bed, desk, chair and not much else.

However, upon checking the double door on the west side of the hallway, she hears at least four different ogreish voices.

Next?
Level Map Updated


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Assuming that Adolina shares this information.

Cadas, concerned about the idea of 4 ogres when one was almost too much for them holds up a hand to pause the scout and pulls a wand of Bless, blessing the party before moving up to the door. Once The others move into position she nods ready.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Robin takes a step forward, then gives a big thumbs up of readiness. He leaves the doors to rooms B20 open.

Would like to Take 10 in initiative again!

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina waits for the rest of the preparations to be ready, before hefting her scimitar and opening the door!


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

Marcellano readies an action to cast haste as Adolina is opening the door.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

If we can ready before combat begins then Cadas will ready a Confusion spell. I guess that will be her surprise action.


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

Initiative:

Adolina: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Cadas: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Marcellano: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Robin: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (7) + 13 = 20 Take 10 for 23
Shalelu: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Foe(s): 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (8) - 1 = 7
DM rolls:

Ogre Will Save +3 each: 4d20 ⇒ (9, 19, 14, 7) = 49 vs DC 19
@Cadas:
Where do you get the Confusion spell from. I do not see it listed on your alias anywhere?

Adolina opens the door, and Marcellano quickly casts haste on the party. Robin and Adolina then wait a moment for Cadas to cast confusion on the enemy.

Next?
Level Map Updated

ONLY Robin and Adolina go. I'll have the ogres go and then we can start the next round.

Robin & Adolina ONLY UP
Init (HP Cur/Max, AC)

Marcellano 26 (68/68, 15,ma19)
Cadas 12 (85/85, 23,24 consecrated shield)
Robin 23 (96/96, 20)
Adolina 16 (104/104, 22)
Foe(s) 7

Ogre:
HP 44 44 44 44[44] AC17 T8 F17 CMD18; F6 R0 W3


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

When she sees the position of the ogres Cadas allows a smile to creep onto her features. She casts Confusion to catch all 4. DC 19 Will Save to Negate

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

"Hold here! The doorway will stop them overwhelming us!" Adolina calls, suiting actions to words.

Hold action.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

"Ooh, four of you? That means it's party time!" Heeding Adolina's plan, Robin sets out a spot of grease on the ground between them and the ogres so they might trip if they try to approach.

Casting Grease on the ground as indicated on the map.


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

Confusion;Maroon;Orange;Red: 3d100 ⇒ (91, 62, 100) = 253
Red;d8+5: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Maroon;Ogre greatclub: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 82d8 + 7 ⇒ (4, 5) + 7 = 16
Red;Ogre greatclub: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 92d8 + 7 ⇒ (1, 8) + 7 = 16
Yellow;Ogre greatclub: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 102d8 + 7 ⇒ (5, 7) + 7 = 19
Cadas casts confusion, targeting all four of the ogres, while Robin casts grease in open space hoping to trip up any ogre that is not confused. Adolina waits at the doorway, to see what happens.

Three of the four ogres are confused, and begin to act strangely. One of the ogres in the back(Orange) smacks himself with his greatclub, the one next to him(Maroon) attacks the one that smacked himself, but misses.

The ogre up front(Red) attacks the ogre(Yellow) next to him, who returns the favor, however both attacks fail.

As the ogres continue to flail at each other, the group just stands back and watches. Finally, the remaining ogre from each of the pairs fighting, turn on each other and after all is said and done, Adolina waits for the last ogre to move up and she kills it.

Next?
Level Map Updated

All four ogres dead.
No one in the group injured.
That went just about as best as it could go for you guys....


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Well, that was highly effective. Cadas stammers in surprise. Lets search this room then do it again.

Pretty sure these were not the tough ogres. :)

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

"Yes." Adolina responds drily. "We should definitely do that again..."

Take 20 to search the room and then onwards! Head towards the big double doors at the end of the corridor, which ones I open will depend on what I see at the end :)


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

"Good show, Cadas, good show!" Robin takes anything useful from the ogres, and then is ready to move on.


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 11d4 ⇒ 3
Finding nothing of interest after killing the four normal ogres, Adolina moves south and peeks around the corner, and seeing empty corridors she moves to the double doors and listens. She hears an ogre speaking in its native language, but does not understand what it is saying.

Next?
Level Map Updated

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina points through the door and mimes a large mouth talking, then holds up one finger. "I can only hear one. Ready?"

Once given the nod she opens the door.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Cadas motions for a pause before the door is opened. I wouldn't mind a peek around both corners before we have another fight.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Robin sneaks up a few more steps and gestures with his hands that Cadas and Adolina should look around the corners first.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

Marcellano nods his assent to the idea of checking both corners. Leaning forward, he whispers, "I speak Giant--let me take a listen?"

Perception to listen to the conversation (w/Narcizia): 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 7 + 2 = 18

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

While Marcellano listens at the door Adolina ghosts down the corridor to check each corner.

Take 10s as always.


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 101d4 ⇒ 2

Figuring it is prudent to check out around the corners to prevent a surprise, Adolina, Cadas and Robin move slowly and stealthily thru the corridor and peek. In the center you see a very large double door(B11) which you figure has got to be the main entrance into this portion of the keep, with the what might once have been a well-maintained entrance hall(B16) is now swathed in horror. Dried blood cakes the stone walls; bits and pieces of armor, weaponry, and flesh litter the floor; and flies cloud the air. Tapestries that once bore the insignia of the Black Arrows have been torn from the walls and now lie on the floor in shreds, coated with filth.

Marcellano:
You hear "Me Big-a-Big, You-Small-a-Small, I Eat Your Head!” and other similar phrases in the giant tongue.

Next?
Level Map Updated


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Cadas moves back to the door and indicates she is ready to proceed.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Robin gives another thumbs up, ready to roll.

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina winces at the destruction before moving back to the door with the rest. "What did you hear?" She whispers to Marcellano. Once he replies and everyone shows their readiness she opens the door.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

"Strange...taunts?" Marcellano whispers back. "It sounds like there aren't likely to be more than two creatures, and perhaps only one. We may as well proceed if we can."

Is the haste I cast earlier still active? Lasts 9 minutes.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Likely only 9 rounds.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

Whoops, Cadas is completely correct. Dang. Wasted that spell, then.


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

Initiative:

Adolina: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Cadas: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Marcellano: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Robin: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18
Foe(s): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 101d4 ⇒ 4

Gathering in front of the door, with Robin and Marcellano stepping back to let Adolina and Cadas be at the front, Adolina opens it and you see an ogre, chewing on the decapitated corpse of what must have been one of the rangers, and dropping it on the floor he bellows "Me Big-a-Big, You-Small-a-Small, I use heads for brush!” and he moves to attack with his hook. With the bellow, you hear door down the hall open and two ogres, with great clubs move into the hallway and towards you.

Next?
Level Map Updated

Marcellano & Robin UP (Adolina & Cadas after the ogres
Init (HP Cur/Max, AC)

Marcellano 22 (68/68, 15,ma19)
Robin 18 (96/96, 20)
Foe(s) 17
Adolina 13 (104/104, 22)
Cadas 8 (85/85, 23,24 consecrated shield)

Ogre:
HP 44 44 44 44[44] AC17 T8 F17 CMD18; F6 R0 W3
Tough Ogre:
HP 131[131] AC21 T10 F20 CMD16; F13 R3 W5+1 vs fear


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Robin cringes as he sees the ogre chomping on a decapitated ranger, but recovers quickly enough to act. "Me Smart-a-Smart, You-Dumb-a-Dumb, big head but tiny brain!"

Robin tries to send the taunting ogre into a fit of uncontrollable laughter! Hideous laughter, Will DC18

Hideous Laughter:
This spell afflicts the subject with uncontrollable laughter. It collapses into gales of manic laughter, falling prone. The subject can take no actions while laughing, but is not considered helpless. After the spell ends, it can act normally. On the creature’s next turn, it may attempt a new saving throw to end the effect. This is a full round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. If this save is successful, the effect ends. If not, the creature continues laughing for the entire duration.

"Adolina gonna smash in your hollow skull!" assures Robin, in a strangely inspiring boast.

Inspire Greatness on Adolina, giving her 24 Temp HP, +2 attack, +1 Fort, some other benefits.

Inspire Greatness:
A bard of 9th level or higher can use his performance to inspire greatness in himself or a single willing ally within 30 feet, granting extra fighting capability. For every three levels a bard attains beyond 9th, he can target one additional ally while using this performance (up to a maximum of four at 18th level). To inspire greatness, all of the targets must be able to see and hear the bard. A creature inspired with greatness gains 2 bonus Hit Dice (d10s), the commensurate number of temporary hit points (apply the target’s Constitution modifier, if any, to these bonus Hit Dice), a +2 competence bonus on attack rolls, and a +1 competence bonus on Fortitude saves. The bonus Hit Dice count as regular Hit Dice for determining the effect of spells that are Hit Dice dependent. Inspire greatness is a mind-affecting ability and it relies on audible and visual components.

Finally, he takes a cautious step backward to get out of the hallway.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

”That’s definitely enough ogres to be a concern,” Marcellano mutters grimly. He begins to weave a complex pattern of arcane sigils in the air, chanting under his breath.

Starting summon monster IV to call up our good friend the hound archon.


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

Will +5: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24 vs DC 18
Ogre greatclub: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 92d8 + 7 ⇒ (3, 1) + 7 = 11 vs AC 15 Adolina FF
+1 ogre hook +16/+11 (2d8+13/19-20/×3): 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (6) + 16 = 222d8 + 13 ⇒ (3, 5) + 13 = 211d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 252d8 + 11 ⇒ (8, 2) + 11 = 21 vs AC 15 Adolina FF

Robin casts a spell on the ogre in the room hoping to incapacitate the ogre, but the ogre simply responds, "you tiny-a-tiny. Me use all of you as brush" as it resists the spell. Robin uses his bardic abilities to inspire greatness in Adolina. Marcellano steps back and begins to summon an archon to fight for them.

The two ogres come down the corridor and the lead one swings its greatclub at Adolina and misses. The ogre in the room steps up, forcing Adolina and Cadas to stay in the hallway and swings twice at Adolina, hitting the flat footed slayer both times.

Next?
Level Map Updated

Adolina got hit for 42 hp. I took the 24 from inspire greatness and then took the remaining 18 from normal total.

Everyone UP
Init (HP Cur/Max, AC)

Adolina 13 (86/104, 22)
Cadas 8 (85/85, 23,24 consecrated shield)
Marcellano 22 (68/68, 15,ma19)
Robin 18 (96/96, 20)
Foe(s) 17

Ogre:
HP44 44[44] AC17 T8 F17 CMD18; F6 R0 W3
Tough Ogre:
HP 131[131] AC21 T10 F20 CMD16; F13 R3 W5+1 vs fear


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

I need to review buffs cast by everyone that are still active. Cadas has a few up including a 20' aura of Doom that would make both regular ogres and the tough ogre save or be shaken - Will DC 19. If they make the save, leave and later re-enter they must save again. Also Adolina has +3 NA from Cadas's Barkskin spell. And she is in Cadas' Magic Circle so she gets a +2 deflection to AC from that that does not stack with an rings of protection she might be wearing.

Casting Defensively Cadas heals Adolina with a second level spell. As a swift action brambles pierce outward from her armor.

Cure Mod, Dc 19: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (13) + 14 = 272d8 + 5 ⇒ (8, 5) + 5 = 18

Spells on all 10 minutes per level duration:

Magic Circle 10'
Resist Electricity 20 Communal
Delay Poison Communal
Aura of Doom
Barkskin +3 NA on Adolina
Freedom of Movement on Adolina

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

By my count Adolina is now packing AC 25 with the +3 NA. Her deflection is exactly the same as Cadas' magic circle so no improvement there.

After a moment to size up her foe Adolina spins into action attempting to return the ogre's blows - with interest!

Attack: 1d20 + 16 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 16 + 2 + 2 = 21 Damage: 1d6 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 8 + 2 = 11 Well... bugger!


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Robin takes another step back, to keep a safe distance.

"Brush? You definitely need to brush, because your breath sure stinks!" Robin isn't giving up on the ogre so easily.

Retry--Hideous Laughter, Will DC18

"Time to clean up these ogres, gang!" encourages Robin. Changing Bardic Performance to Inspire Courage.

Current Effects
Heroism: Cadas, Adolina
Inspire Courage +2/+2: Party (including the soon-to-appear hound archon I think)


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

And Shaken will impact saves...


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

Since my haste expired I do not believe I have any active buffs affecting the party.

As Marcellano completes his spell, there's a burst of light and a sable-skinned, muscular hound archon appears next to Adolina and the ogre from the hallway. It lets out a baying challenge, and swings its greatsword in a flurry of strikes against the wicked ogre it sees before it!

Greatsword 1 (Inspire, Power Attack): 1d20 + 9 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (11) + 9 + 2 - 2 = 20 for 2d6 + 3 + 2 + 6 ⇒ (3, 4) + 3 + 2 + 6 = 18
Greatsword 2: 1d20 + 4 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 4 + 2 - 2 = 18 for 2d6 + 3 + 2 + 6 ⇒ (1, 4) + 3 + 2 + 6 = 16
Bite: 1d20 + 3 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 3 + 2 - 2 = 18 for 1d8 + 2 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 2 + 4 = 13

Well, that looks promising. The hound archon also has an aura of menace; all of the ogres have to make a DC 16 Will save or they take a -2 penalty to attacks, AC, and saves until they hit the hound archon.

Marcellano himself moves forward, smiling grimly as he sees that the hound archon has been successful in engaging the ogre. He pulls out his wand and sends a swarm of magic missiles after the same beast.

Magic Missile: 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (3, 3) + 2 = 8

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Forgot about heroism - so the 1 still gets me a 23 to hit... and 13 damage.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

but a 1 is always an auto miss...

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

I know... just impressed that I've (probably) got to 'hits even on a 1' point. :)


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

Aura of Menace: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15 vs DC 16
Hideous Laughter: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 vs DC 18
Ogre greatclub: 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (2) + 7 - 2 = 72d8 + 7 ⇒ (8, 7) + 7 = 22 vs AC 25 Adolina
@Adolina - You were flat footed for the 1st swings, so AC was 15. You are at the higher AC now.
@Marcellano - Since the archon took down the first ogre, I switched you mm attack to the tougher ogre in the room.

Adolina attempts to return the favor to the ogre that hit her, but she misses completely, swinging into the air. Cadas defensively casts a curing spell on Adolina, which undoes the damage from the ogre hook. Marcellano completes his spell, as the archon appears next to Adolina and kills the front ogre coming down the hallway. Marcellano pulls out his wand of missiles and targets the ogre in the room, as the last time the group faced an ogre with a hook it almost killed Adolina. Robin tries the hideous laughter again on the hook ogre, and this time the creature falls to the ground laughing, while ogre in the hallway steps up swinging his greatclub, but he misses.

Next?
Level Map Updated

Everyone UP
Init (HP Cur/Max, AC)

Adolina 13 (104/104, 22)
Cadas 8 (85/85, 23,24 consecrated shield)
Marcellano 22 (68/68, 15,ma19)
Robin 18 (96/96, 20)
Foe(s) 17

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina attacks again, with a better understanding of the ogres reach and attack patterns. Attack Studied Target, which is B18

Attack 1: 1d20 + 16 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 16 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 32 Damage: 1d6 + 6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 2 + 2 = 12
Attack 2: 1d20 + 11 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 11 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 37 Damage: 1d6 + 6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 6 + 2 + 2 = 14

Crit?: 1d20 + 16 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 16 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 35 Damage: 1d6 + 6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 2 + 2 = 12

38 damage: 12 from hit one and 26 from the crit. :)


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

"Whoops! I guess you're the brush now, helping us sweep the ground!" Robin taunts the ogre that's rolling on the ground.

Taunt: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (4) + 20 = 24 vs 10+HD+Wis or shaken.

Current Effects
Heroism: Cadas, Adolina
Inspire Courage +2/+2: Party
Hideous Laughter - may attempt new save as full round action: Tough Ogre
Maybe shaken?: Tough Ogre


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Cadas also full attacks the prone ogre. gonna need to get a magic weapon some day. lol.

cold iron trident: 1d20 + 13 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 13 + 4 = 18 Grr. Auto Miss

cold iron trident: 1d20 + 8 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 8 + 4 = 241d8 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Spells on all 10 minutes per level duration:

Magic Circle 10'
Resist Electricity 20 Communal
Delay Poison Communal
Aura of Doom
Barkskin +3 NA on Adolina
Freedom of Movement on Adolina


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

Aura of Doom;to;o: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 191d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5 vs DC 19
Greatsword 1 (Inspire, Power Attack): 1d20 + 9 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (16) + 9 + 2 - 2 = 252d6 + 3 + 2 + 6 ⇒ (4, 5) + 3 + 2 + 6 = 20vs AC 17 Ogre
Greatsword 2 (Inspire, Power Attack): 1d20 + 4 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (16) + 4 + 2 - 2 = 202d6 + 3 + 2 + 6 ⇒ (2, 4) + 3 + 2 + 6 = 17vs AC 17 Ogre
Bite: 1d20 + 3 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 3 + 2 - 2 = 171d8 + 2 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 2 + 4 = 13 vs AC 17 Ogre
Hideous Laughter: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20 vs DC 18
+1 ogre hook +16/+11 (2d8+13/19-20/×3): 1d20 + 16 - 2 ⇒ (16) + 16 - 2 = 302d8 + 13 ⇒ (8, 3) + 13 = 241d20 + 11 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 11 - 2 = 282d8 + 11 ⇒ (4, 7) + 11 = 22 vs AC 22 Adolina

Adolina studies her target momentarily, and then attacks, at one point critically wounding it. Cadas attacks the laughing prone ogre, but misses. Marcellano summoned archon, kills the remaining ogre in the hallway, so Marcellano(bot) waits to see what will occur with the prone ogre. Robin taunts the prone ogre, and it is shaken, however, the ogre shakes off the laughter, stands and attacks Adolina once, hurting her.

Next?
Level Map Updated

Adolina & Cadas, take an AOO on the ogre standing, then your normal actions for this round.

Everyone UP
Init (HP Cur/Max, AC)

Adolina 13 (80/104, 22)
Cadas 8 (85/85, 23,24 consecrated shield)
Marcellano 22 (68/68, 15,ma19)
Robin 18 (96/96, 20)
Foe(s) 17

Ogre:
HPdead dead[44] AC17 T8 F17 CMD18; F6 R0 W3
Tough Ogre:
HP 85[131] AC21 T10 F20 CMD16; F13 R3 W5+1 vs fear


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

A 24 missed?


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

A 24 missed what? If you are referring to Robin taunt, the tough ogre is shaken. Hideous laughter gives a second save and the tough ogre made that one, so it is able to stand and act normally, albeit at a -2 penalty. Read the DM Rolls, and you can see where I rolled the second save.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

No. you said Cadas missed the tough ogre. Her first attack was a nat 1 so it obviously missed. But her second was a 24. I am trying to better understand the threat. Is their AC really that good?

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

AOO: 1d20 + 16 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 16 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 42 Damage: 1d6 + 6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 6 + 2 + 2 = 11
Confirm?: 1d20 + 16 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 16 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 30 Damage: 1d6 + 6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 6 + 2 + 2 = 15

Attack 1: 1d20 + 16 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 16 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 30 Damage: 1d6 + 6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 6 + 2 + 2 = 13
Attack 2: 1d20 + 11 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 11 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 30 Damage: 1d6 + 6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 2 + 2 = 12

Adolina launches a flurry of attacks at the ogre as it stands, aiming for the deep blow she left moments ago.

4,851 to 4,900 of 5,564 << first < prev | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Papa.DRB - Rise of the Runelords - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.