Rise of the Runelords by DM Doctor Evil (again)

Game Master DM DoctorEvil

Rise of the Runelord. Chapter 3

Hook Mountain Clanhold Overview Map

Hook Mountain Battle Mapb


4,901 to 4,950 of 5,564 << first < prev | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | next > last >>

Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

Ah, righto. My eyes saw the "auto miss" comment, and glazed over the next line. You did hit with the second attack, so the tough ogre has 75 hp, instead of 85


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

If a 24 missed that was fine, but it would call for different tactics. :)

Cadas takes her AOO, and then full attacks, but then steps back a 5' step, making room for the archon.

cold iron trident, AOO: 1d20 + 13 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 13 + 4 = 211d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

cold iron trident: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 271d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

cold iron trident: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 251d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

The hound archon bounds into the space left by Cadas, whirling its blade with a howl!

Sword 1 (PA and inspire cancel): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24 for 2d6 + 3 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (2, 4) + 3 + 6 + 2 = 17
Sword 2: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21 for 2d6 + 3 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (4, 3) + 3 + 6 + 2 = 18
Bite: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5 for 1d8 + 2 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 + 4 + 2 = 12

I can’t move him because I’m on mobile, but he should be next to Adolina. I *think* that drops the ogre, but just in case...

Marcellano presses the assault with his wand. MM: 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (2, 4) + 2 = 8


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

I think Cadas didn't add Inspire Courage +2 damage for each hit.

"Sit back down, you're not done sweeping yet!" Robin feels confident the others have this.

Robin passes, continuing the Inspire Courage for 1 more round. I think the ogre is finished.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

You are right Robin. Was thinking about it as I did the attacks, and added it to the "to hits". Sorry.


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 51d4 ⇒ 2

As the tough ogre stood, Cadas and Adolina smacked it hard. Adolina hits the ogre, and when Cadas steps back, the archon steps into her place and puts the ogre down.

Now that the creatures are dead, a quick scan for magic turns up the ogre hook and the giant sized hide armor. All the other weapons and gear are just normal. Searching the two rooms you find: (B18) The lathes, sawhorses, and other tools in this workroom lie in scattered, shattered ruin on the floor. The walls are smeared with gore, in some places forming messy graffiti. (B19) This large room is filled with several heavy wooden racks, all bristling with pikes, longswords, and quivers of barbed arrows. The wall where the door once was has been smashed in.

Moving down the hallway, Adolina does her checking of the remaining doors, and finds (B20) two more guest rooms, and empty room that once had something in it, you could not tell what but there is nothing there now and finally (B17) another lower tower level room with a ladder leading up to the walkway.

Next?
Level Map Updated

Status
(HP Cur/Max, AC)

Adolina (80/104, 22)
Cadas (85/85, 23,24 consecrated shield)
Marcellano (68/68, 15,ma19)
Robin (96/96, 20)


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

"I think we've cleared the bottom," says Robin. "Time to go up to the second floor?"

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

"I'm surprised we didn't meet more down here." Adolina comments. "We'll need to be very careful from here on. I like you all in one piece."

As always take 10's.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

I have expended about half the resources granted to me. Cadas warns. Let us proceed quickly while my cast spells are still potent.

Spells on all 10 minutes per level duration:

Magic Circle 10'
Resist Electricity 20 Communal
Delay Poison Communal
Aura of Doom
Barkskin +3 NA on Adolina
Freedom of Movement on Adolina


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

”Agreed,” Marcellano murmurs, ”Let’s not dawdle here...”


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

"Okay, let's go!" The party heads to the stairs up marked as #2 on the map and lets Adolina proceed with her scouting.


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 151d4 ⇒ 1

Having cleared the first floor, and not run into a leader or other high powered foe, you carefully and stealthily as possible head up the stairs to the second floor. Adolina pauses the group, and peeks around the corner, seeing a hallway running south with two sets of double doors, and a single doorway at the end. The hallway also turns to the west at the southern end.

Approaching the first door, she hears two voices speaking in a language that she has come to recognize as giant, but does not yet understand. A female, and a gruff male.

Next?
Level Map Updated

Status
(HP Cur/Max, AC)
Adolina (80/104, 22)

Cadas (85/85, 23,24 consecrated shield)
Marcellano (68/68, 15,ma19)
Robin (96/96, 20)

Read the post in Discussion thread


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Whoops, didn't think through the HP status!

Before getting near the stairs, Robin heals up Adolina!
CLW x3: 3d8 + 3 ⇒ (8, 8, 4) + 3 = 23
14 charges remain.

Otherwise, he waits with anxious anticipation at what might be behind the door upstairs.

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

"Two giants. One male, one female." Adolina reports quietly. "Maybe try the silencing trick again? Put it on me and I'll move behind them? Or we could try and draw them to the door but I worry they'll make a noise and draw attention."


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

I do not have another silence scroll. I fear that once we start a fight here all the enemies might come at once.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

"Can you check around the next corner, and listen at the nearest doors?" Marcellano asks.

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.
Marcellano Gallenica wrote:
"Can you check around the next corner, and listen at the nearest doors?" Marcellano asks.

Adolina does as requested...


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 121d4 ⇒ 4

After Robin uses his curing wand on her, Adolina moves to the corner and peeks around. The hallway continues to the west and ends in a single door.

Checking the double door on the east side, Adolina hears another female voice speaking in what she is sure is giant. At the single door on the southern wall she hears two male ogre voices.

Next?
Level Map Updated

Status
(HP Cur/Max, AC)

Adolina (103/104, 22)
Cadas (85/85, 23,24 consecrated shield)
Marcellano (68/68, 15,ma19)
Robin (96/96, 20)

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

*Conveys information*

"I could try to jam the doors from the outside." Adolina offers. "That might hold them up enough to make a difference..."


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Robin whispers back, using the Message cantrip. "That's a good idea, Adolina."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

“I concur,” Marcellano mutters. “If they come out too soon, I can block the hallway as well.”

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina pads off to do exactly that, leaving the first door for the group to assail.

DD: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (1) + 22 = 23 [Female only room)
DD: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (7) + 22 = 29 (2x male room)

Take 10 for 40 stealth


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

So, what door are we doing first? We should pretty much expect to "pull the level" despite Adolina's excellent idea.

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

I'm trying to jam the two doors on the left - leaving the one straight ahead from the top of the stairs as target 1.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Sounds fine with me.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

I count 4 doors...

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

True.

DD, end of corridor door: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (19) + 22 = 41


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

Door straight ahead it is, then!


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Lets make sure we have a good list of our buffs and not forget any of them. Perhaps pre-summon if we are going to as well.

Buffs she can still cast - Most of these are rounds/level:

Righteous Might
Summon Monster V
Summon Monster IV
dispel evil - Personal and bumps her AC by 4 vs evil
Summon Monster III
Resist Energy - 10 minutes per level
bull's strength
spiritual weapon
divine favor, divine favor
enlarge person
infernal healing
protection from evil

Spells on all 10 minutes per level duration:

Magic Circle 10'- This is +2 Resistance bonus to saves and +2 deflection bonus to AC
Resist Electricity 20 Communal
Delay Poison Communal
Aura of Doom DC 19 Will or shaken, 20' radius
Barkskin +3 NA on Adolina
Freedom of Movement on Adolina


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Robin's ongoing buffs are much simpler--Heroism on Cadas + Adolina.

Obviously he has either Inspire Courage or Inspire Greatness as a move action--the Temp HP from Inspire Greatness will probably be useful to soften the big wallops from the ogres.

His other buffing trick is Invisibility Sphere, potentially useful if we need a break from the action! His other combat options at 3rd level are either Confusion to get a group of big ogres to fight each other, or a Persistent Hideous Laughter with a high chance of disabling a targeted enemy with a low will save. He has a total of 4 3rd level Bard spells in him.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Nice. Cadas has a confusion remaining as well. I have to admit that I am looking forward to the challenge. Lets hope the campaign does not end here. :)


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

Initiative:

Adolina: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Cadas: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Marcellano: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Robin: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24
Foe(s): 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11
DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 191d4 ⇒ 1

Three doors to be jammed: Female; Male x2; Nothing

Deciding to continue on, Adolina moves to jam the three furthest doors from the top of the stairs, so to leave an escape route of need be. Quietly as possible she rigs the handles to be stuck, hoping to slow down any response from those rooms. Going back to the first set of double doors; you prepare yourselves, and Adolina swings open the doors. You see an ogre, and a human woman arguing in giant. The walls within this enormous chamber are mounted with dozens of trophy antlers, some taken from stags that must have stood as tall as dire bears. Most of the antlers are draped with bits of rotten flesh, strips of skin, or coils of viscera. To the west, a marble altar has been heaped with the mangled remains of at least a half-dozen dead men and women. A crude image of what might be a three-eyed jackal has been painted in blood on the wall above the altar’s alcove.

Next?
Level Map Updated

Everyone UP *EXCEPT Cadas
Init (HP Cur/Max, AC)

Robin 24 (96/96, 20)
Adolina 23 (103/104, 22)
Marcellano 15 (68/68, 15,ma19)
Foe(s) 11
Cadas 8 (85/85, 23,24 consecrated shield)

Robin, Adolina, Marcellano, then the foes, then I'll reorder to put Cadas up next.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Before the door is opened Cadas will cast the following in this order:
resist Energy Fire
divine favor
bull's strength
spiritual weapon
dispel evil

As the doors are opened her aura of doom washes over the ogre.

Spells on all 10 minutes per level duration:

Magic Circle 10'- This is +2 Resistance bonus to saves and +2 deflection bonus to AC
Resist Electricity 20 Communal
Delay Poison Communal
Aura of Doom DC 19 Will or shaken, 20' radius
Barkskin +3 NA on Adolina
Freedom of Movement on Adolina

Buffs she can still cast:

Righteous Might
Summon Monster V
Summon Monster IV
Summon Monster III
divine favor,
enlarge person
infernal healing
protection from evil

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina races into the room and dives into the blind spot that the ogre causes. As she goes she studies the ogre closely - since he is more likely to pose a physical threat.

Stealth: 1d20 + 31 ⇒ (6) + 31 = 37


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Confused. Are you hiding in plain sight? There is no cover as I understand it. Better just to fight I think.

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

I was trying to get in, but out of the way, so that area debuffs like confusion could go down without getting me in them. Also without haste I'm not going to be able to do much damage on one attack - especially as I'll be left in full attack range and eating an AAO to do it...


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

"What the elk is going on here?" asks Robin as the doors reveal the walls of gore-covered trophy antlers. Weaving his magics he tries to turn his feeble pun into a force for irresistable laughter!

Casting Persistent Hideous Laughter on the ogre. Will DC18, roll twice and take the worse result.

Hideous Laughter:
This spell afflicts the subject with uncontrollable laughter. It collapses into gales of manic laughter, falling prone. The subject can take no actions while laughing, but is not considered helpless. After the spell ends, it can act normally. On the creature’s next turn, it may attempt a new saving throw to end the effect. This is a full round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. If this save is successful, the effect ends. If not, the creature continues laughing for the entire duration.

"We got them right where we want 'em!" encourages Robin. Inspire Greatness on Cadas.

Inspire Greatness:
Inspire Greatness (Su): A bard of 9th level or higher can use his performance to inspire greatness in himself or a single willing ally within 30 feet, granting extra fighting capability. For every three levels a bard attains beyond 9th, he can target one additional ally while using this performance (up to a maximum of four at 18th level). To inspire greatness, all of the targets must be able to see and hear the bard. A creature inspired with greatness gains 2 bonus Hit Dice (d10s), the commensurate number of temporary hit points (apply the target’s Constitution modifier, if any, to these bonus Hit Dice), a +2 competence bonus on attack rolls, and a +1 competence bonus on Fortitude saves. The bonus Hit Dice count as regular Hit Dice for determining the effect of spells that are Hit Dice dependent. Inspire greatness is a mind-affecting ability and it relies on audible and visual components

After firing his spell, he takes a sidestep in search of cover. 5-foot step.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Hmm. Bull's Strength fell through the cracks here. It should be one of the spells Cadas pre-cast.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

Apologies for the delay. Marcellano only has one casting of haste left, and since it's rounds/level I think maybe we should save it. If the GM is ok with it (since I missed the pre-battle chat), happy to pre-summon another hound archon for this fight. Regardless, I think:

Seeing the disgusting sight ahead of him, Marcellano's stomach churns. But as Adolina darts in ahead of him and makes room, he sees reason for hope:

It's rare that all of his foes are standing in a straight line with no one else in the way.

His mouth moves almost subconsciously, instinctively, in the words of one of his most recently learned evocations, and a bright blue bolt of lightning sizzles through the air. It darts toward both ogre and woman, striking at the vile symbol painted above the altar!

Lightning Bolt!: 9d6 ⇒ (6, 3, 1, 4, 6, 5, 2, 4, 2) = 33 electricity damage to both, DC 18 Reflex save for half damage.

Marcellano then ducks smartly behind Cadas.

Knowledge (Religion) to recognize religious symbols in the room: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

Ogre; will save +8: 2d20 ⇒ (18, 18) = 36 vs DC 18 (roll twice, take worst)
Female; SR: 1d20 + 4 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 4 + 9 = 26 vs DC 19
Ogre; Female; Reflex save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 121d20 + 14 ⇒ (11) + 14 = 25 vs DC 18
Ogre; Perception on Adolina +9: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28 vs DC 37 [Out of order, but did not think of hide in plain sight till all the above rolls were taken into account in the narrative]
Ogre; Melee +1 human bane ogre hook +20/+15 (2d8+16/19–20/×3): 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (12) + 20 = 322d8 + 16 ⇒ (1, 6) + 16 = 231d20 + 15 ⇒ (2) + 15 = 172d8 + 16 ⇒ (1, 3) + 16 = 20 vs AC 24 Cadas (now AC 23)

Robin casts a spell on the ogre(Hideous laughter), but the wit's joke falls on deaf ears. He then uses his bardic ability to Inspire greatness on Cadas. Catching the foes flat footed, Adolina steps into the room in the corner, and the creatures do not have time to react to her movement, in fact using her hide in plain sight ability, the creatures don't even know that she is there. Marcellano casts a lightning bolt at the nicely lined up creatures, and even though the female almost shrugged off all of the damage it did do full damage to the ogre and some damage to the female.

The female, shimmers, changes shape and looks a lot like the lamia matriarch that you killed in Magnimar, perhaps her sister. After changing her form she casts a spell on Cadas(Hold Person). Meanwhile the ogre begins to froth at the mouth, rages, steps up to Cadas and swings, hitting the priestess once.

Next?
Level Map Updated

Everyone UP
Init (HP Cur/Max, AC)

Cadas 8 (62/85, 23,24 consecrated shield)
Robin 24 (96/96, 20)
Adolina 23 (103/104, 22)
Marcellano 15 (68/68, 15,ma19)
Foe(s) 11

Cadas - DC 19 Will save or you are Held

Ogre:
HP125[158] AC17 T7 F17 CMD19; F16 R3 W8 DR2/-
Lamia:
HP125[141] AC26 T1 F21 CMD26; F9 R14 W14 SR19; Spells


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Note that with Dispel Evil going Cadas's current AC is 26, after being hit once. Also don't forget the Aura of Doom. Ogre should have had to save cvs it first and then might need to save vs the hideous laughter again... I'll wait to see what happens after those saves before acting.

Will Save: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (12) + 13 = 25

Spells on:

Magic Circle 10'- This is +2 Resistance bonus to saves and +2 deflection bonus to AC
Resist Electricity 20 Communal
Delay Poison Communal
Aura of Doom DC 19 Will or shaken, 20' radius
Barkskin +3 NA on Adolina
Freedom of Movement on Adolina
resist Energy Fire
divine favor
bull's strength
spiritual weapon
dispel evil

Buffs she can still cast:

Righteous Might
Summon Monster V
Summon Monster IV
Summon Monster III
divine favor,
enlarge person
infernal healing
protection from evil

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

While all that goes on, Adolina goes for the lamia.

Appearing out of the shadows like a wraith Adolina strikes hard and viciously at the snake-torso'd woman.

Attack: 1d20 + 16 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 16 + 2 = 34 Damage: 1d6 + 8 + 2 + 2 + 3d6 ⇒ (4) + 8 + 2 + 2 + (6, 2, 6) = 30

I'm assuming since she doesn't know I'm there I get to sneak attack, which means I automatically study the lamia as well. This should keep her busy!


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Note: Cadas had +22 Temp HP from Inspire Greatness, so she only takes 1 point of damage after that is wiped out.

"Ooh, that was sizzling hot, Marcy!" Robin encourages his entire team now, and tries to give the ogre the slip!

Switching to Inspire Courage +2/+2, and Grease Reflex DC16. Marked the spot on the map. That should boost Adolina's attack and damage by +2 also.


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

Ogre: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23 vs DC 19 Aura of Doom

Dispel evil is 1 round/level. I lost track of when you cast it.
Cadas is at 84 hp because of the Inspire Greatness.
Back tracking to the ogre and the Aura of Doom.

As the ogre approached Cadas, and was within range of her Aura, it ignored the ill feeling and swung its bane hook.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

I believe the lamia is also within the 20’ aura now that she is large. I tried to let you know the order I cast the buffs. Dispel Evil was last.

Cadas steps north 5’ to gain some cover from the doorway and summons a large earth elemental as a standard action.

The elemental appears immediately to the south of Cadas and full attacks the ogre.

slam: 1d20 + 14 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 14 + 1 = 182d6 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (5, 2) + 7 + 1 = 15

slam: 1d20 + 14 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 14 + 1 = 172d6 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (4, 5) + 7 + 1 = 17

Well those are some poor rolls. I am posting from my phone so cannot place the elemental. Traveling home tomorrow.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

"Thanks, Robin!" Marcellano says. Not wanting to move for fear of the ogre's hook, he draws one of his wands and attempts to weaken the monster!

Ray of Enfeeblement!: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 7 + 2 = 27 If that hits, the ogre has to make a DC...11?...Fort save or take a 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7 penalty to Strength for...1 round. Fort save halves...

Low-level wands suck.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

At least it's a high penalty, I guess!


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Guaranteed strength penalty is not bad. Also, I thought you might be safe from AOOs due to soft cover from Cadas. Maybe GM Papa/David could clarify if that's correct; I certainly assumed it as part of casting Grease.

I think Cadas gets +2 to hit and damage from Inspire Courage that she hasn't factored in.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Was unsure if the elemental would get it. Regardless with those rolls its not gonna hit. Note that Cadas was also counting on cover from the door to cast the sommons safely. If that is not how DM Papa.DRB runs things Cadas certainly would cast defensively. I'll add the elemental now. And Sorry Robin. I was not aware of you being so open after Cadas moved until just now when I could better access the map.


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

Ogre; Reflex +3: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17 vs DC 16
Ogre; Fort +16: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (1) + 16 = 17 vs DC 11 A FRAGGIN 1
Ogre; Melee +1 human bane ogre hook +20/+15 -3(2d8+16-3/19-20/×3): 1d20 + 20 - 3 ⇒ (15) + 20 - 3 = 322d8 + 16 - 3 ⇒ (6, 8) + 16 - 3 = 271d20 + 15 - 3 ⇒ (19) + 15 - 3 = 312d8 + 16 - 3 ⇒ (4, 2) + 16 - 3 = 19 vs AC 18 Earth Elemental
Ogre; Melee +1 human bane ogre hook +15 -3(2d8+16-3/19-20/×3): 1d20 + 15 - 3 ⇒ (18) + 15 - 3 = 302d8 + 16 - 3 ⇒ (2, 5) + 16 - 3 = 202d8 + 16 - 3 ⇒ (5, 2) + 16 - 3 = 20 vs AC 18 Earth Elemental
Lamia; Melee +1 keen dagger +18/+13/+8 (1d4+8/17–20 +1 Wisdom drain on first strike in a round): 3d20 ⇒ (6, 6, 10) = 221d4 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 111d4 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 121d4 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11 vs AC 25 Adolina

Cadas steps back, and summons an elemental, who attacks the ogre and hits it twice. Robin uses his bardic abilities to Inspire Greatness, which affects Adolina and Cadas. He also casts a grease spell hoping to trip the ogre. However the is able to take a step outside the area. Adolina steps out of the shadows and using her slayer abilities, heavily wounds the lamia. Marcellano uses his wand to send a ray of enfeeblement and the ogre is suddenly much weaker.

The ogre, even weaker, manages to hit the elemental both times, one critically, and kills it sending the creature back to its home plane. The lamia, with Adolina in her face, swings her dagger three times, however she is so shaken that she misses ever thrust.

Next?
Level Map Updated

Everyone UP
Init (HP Cur/Max, AC)

Cadas 8 (84/85, 23,24 consecrated shield)
Robin 24 (96/96, 20)
Adolina 23 (103/104, 22)
Marcellano 15 (68/68, 15,ma19)
Foe(s) 11

Ogre:
HP93[158] AC17 T7 F17 CMD19; F16 R3 W8 DR2/-
Lamia:
HP93[141] AC26 T1 F21 CMD26; F9 R14 W14 SR19; Spells

4,901 to 4,950 of 5,564 << first < prev | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Papa.DRB - Rise of the Runelords - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.