Rise of the Runelords by DM Doctor Evil (again)

Game Master DM DoctorEvil

Rise of the Runelord. Chapter 3

Hook Mountain Clanhold Overview Map

Hook Mountain Battle Mapb


4,951 to 5,000 of 5,564 << first < prev | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | next > last >>

F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

hmm. Don't forget the buffs up. That circle of protection would make the Elemental's AC 20, not 18

Wanting to keep the armored ogre busy for a while longer Cadas uses her Summon Monster IV spell to drop in a large tiger. The creature immediately attacks. She silently thanks the animal for its bravery and likely sacrifice as it attacks.

wow Each attack grants a grab!

Bite: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 9 + 2 = 282d6 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (6, 3) + 6 + 2 = 17
Grab 1: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (10) + 17 = 27

Bite: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 10 + 2 = 291d8 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 6 + 2 = 15
Grab 1: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (20) + 17 = 37

Bite: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 10 + 2 = 251d8 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 6 + 2 = 16
Grab 1: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (4) + 17 = 21

Tiger:

N Large animal
Init +6; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +8

DEFENSE
AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+2 Dex, +3 natural, –1 size+4 deflection)
hp 45 (6d8+18)
Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +9

OFFENSE

Speed 40 ft.
Melee 2 claws +10 (1d8+6 plus grab), bite +9 (2d6+6 plus grab)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks pounce, rake (2 claws +10, 1d8+6)

STATISTICS

Str 23, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Base Atk +4; CMB +11 (+15 grapple); CMD 23 (27 vs. trip)
Feats Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (Perception), Weapon Focus (claw)
Skills Acrobatics +10, Perception +8, Stealth +7 (+11 in areas of tall grass), Swim +11; Racial Modifiers +4 Acrobatics, +4 Stealth (+8 in tall grass)

Spells on:

Magic Circle 10'- This is +2 Resistance bonus to saves and +2 deflection bonus to AC
Resist Electricity 20 Communal
Delay Poison Communal
Aura of Doom DC 19 Will or shaken, 20' radius
Barkskin +3 NA on Adolina
Freedom of Movement on Adolina
resist Energy Fire
divine favor
bull's strength
spiritual weapon
dispel evil

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina grins at the lamia. "My turn!"

Attack 1: 1d20 + 16 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 16 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 41 Damage: 1d6 + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 16
Attack 2: 1d20 + 11 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 11 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 21 Damage: 1d6 + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 15

Confirm Crit?: 1d20 + 16 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 16 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 26 Crit: 1d6 + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 8 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 15


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

"Ooh, big kitty wants to play!" Robin pops a wand into his hand, hoping to keep his allies (including the tiger) alive against whatever onslaught might come.

Readied action to Cure Medium Wounds on an injured ally using his wand.
CMW: 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (8, 1) + 3 = 12

Active Effects: Heroism on Cadas / Adolina; Inspire Courage on allies


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

Sorry for the delay; was traveling this weekend.

Marcellano thinks furiously. Trying to weaken it is a long shot, and it's just so strong...we need more help! Stepping back, he begins to cast a summoning spell.

5' step and starting summon monster IV for a hound archon!


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

Ogre; Melee +1 human bane ogre hook +20/+15 -3(weak) -2(grappled)(2d8+16-3/19-20/×3): 1d20 + 20 - 3 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 20 - 3 - 2 = 202d8 + 16 - 3 ⇒ (4, 3) + 16 - 3 = 201d20 + 15 - 3 - 2 ⇒ (9) + 15 - 3 - 2 = 192d8 + 16 - 3 ⇒ (4, 6) + 16 - 3 = 23 vs AC 16 Tiger (with circle of protection)
lamia; cast defensive: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (4) + 19 = 23 vs DC 23

Using the elemental token as the tiger.
I just read up on Sacred Summons. It always seemed wrong that the creature got a full round attack, since it takes a standard action to summon the same aligned creature, so that it should only have an "action" in this round. I'll only allow the bite for now (not the misnamed claw attacks). If you can point me to something that says the summoned creature gets full attack on a single action, I'll change it.

Cadas casts another summons, and drops in a large tiger who then bites the ogre, and grabs it. Robin readies his curing wand to help keep his companions, even the summoned ones up and fighting. Adolina swings twice at the lamia, and even though she only hits it once, it is a critical hit. Marcellano steps back, and begins to cast a summoning spell to bring in additional reinforcements.

The ogre ignoring that it is grappled, swings twice at the tiger and almost kills it(2hp left). The lamia, wound badly defensively casts a spell, and disappears.

Robin seeing the tiger almost go down, spends his readied action and heals the tiger a bit(14hp). He also hears the two doors to the south(female / malex2) handles wiggle, with the double door(female) actually opening.

Next?
Level Map Updated

Everyone UP
Init (HP Cur/Max, AC)

Cadas 8 (84/85, 23,24 consecrated shield)
Robin 24 (96/96, 20)
Adolina 23 (103/104, 22)
Marcellano 15 (68/68, 15,ma19)
Foe(s) 11

Ogre:
HP84[158] AC17 T7 F17 CMD19; F16 R3 W8 DR2/- (forgot the DR so I added 8 hp back in)


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

"Uh oh, company's coming!" Robin sends a burst of Glitterdust into the room, hoping to reveal the disappearing enemy.

Aimed to catch most of the top-left corner of the room, including the altar area. Basically anything I can get without putting Adolina into the blast zone.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

A familiar baying sound fills the air as Marcellano finishes casting his spell and a familiar hound archon appears next to the ogre. The mighty creature snarls. "Loathsome ogre! I am your doom!" It lunges at the monster with its sword, snapping with its teeth as well.

Greatsword 1 (IC, Power Attack): 1d20 + 9 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (4) + 9 + 2 - 2 = 13 for 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (6, 1) + 6 = 13
Greatword 2 (IC, Power Attack): 1d20 + 4 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 2 - 2 = 10 for 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (5, 1) + 6 = 12
Bite (IC, PA): 1d20 + 3 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 3 + 2 - 2 = 17 for 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Both the ogre and the lamia have to make DC 16 Will saves. If they fail, they take a -2 penalty to attack rolls, AC, and saving throws until they hit the archon with an attack.

Marcellano's head whips around when Robin sounds the alarm. "I'm on it!" Seeing the doors to the east already beginning to open, he grits his teeth. Time to try out something new... Seizing a fistful of powdered quartz from his components, he blows it into the air, sending it streaming down the hallway while he chants and shapes the gleaming particles with his hands. They seem to vanish--but they form a solid, impenetrable barrier blocking off the approach from any of the other rooms.

We are very lucky as far as how we are arranged in this hallway right now! Added a wall of force, 20' high, to the hallway. Good luck getting through that, ogres!

(Edit to add:) It's the rose-colored box south of us.

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

I'm holding for results of Robin's glitterdust... since he beat me in the initiative order I think that's reasonable :)


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Also holding as I sent our GM a PM


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

@Adolina - From Robin text and the map, my "assumption" is Robin did not care to include the ogre as that would include you, Adolina, but was hoping to show the lamia. Nope, nothing happens, the lamia is not there, ie it was not invisibility, but something else.
.
@Cadas - All the hits on the elemental, including the critical, were greater than 20, so that stands as is.
.
This is my thinking vis-a-vis the tiger not getting all three attacks;
.
"Standard" summon is a full round action, so if you start at the beginning of one round, the creature appears at the beginning of the next round and it gets a full round of actions, either full round attack (all three in this case) or move and single attack. So I do agree with the books, and with the thread arguments you cite, in the case of "standard" full round summon.
.
This however, is a different situation, using "sacred summons" to reduce the summoning of like aligned creatures to a standard action. All that is left in the round, for you, is a move action. For the summoned, as it appears immediately mid round, all that is left for it is either a move or a standard, ie. one attack.
.
Regarding the party being under powered, I agree completely. When Atrius left, I would have liked to recruit another tank (fighter / paladin / barbarian / other) but you folks did not want to at that time. I would like to make that recommendation again.
.
@Marcellano - The wall is "flat vertical plane" up to 10 square feet per level. As you can not see down the hallway, I shortened up the wall to conform to the description, and made it a single plane, not a box.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

As I stated in my PM, by RAW there is no difference in actions the summoned creature gets based on how they are summoned. I found numerous posts asking about standard action summons and the opinion was unanimous that a summoned creature, regardless of how it was summoned, gets a full turn and can full attack or move and attack. But as I also stated I am fine with a house rule limiting the ability. I'll assume you are fine with the cat keeping those good roles for this round though?[/b]

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

I wouldn't mind switching Adolina to something a bit more tanky if people would like? Save on the hassle of trying to find a fourth.

Having lost the lamia Adolina steps back, side by side with Reggie, and strikes at the ogre.

Attack 1: 1d20 + 16 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 16 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 43 Damage: 1d6 + 3d6 + 8 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + (2, 2, 2) + 8 + 2 + 2 = 20
Attack 2: 1d20 + 11 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 11 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 21 Damage: 1d6 + 3d6 + 8 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (6) + (2, 6, 3) + 8 + 2 + 2 = 29

Crit?: 1d20 + 16 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 16 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 42 Damage: 1d6 + 8 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 8 + 2 + 2 = 16


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Cadas is going to delay until after the cat attacks and until after Adolina's actions Hoping that ogre is down.

Maintain Grapple: 1d20 + 17 + 2 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 17 + 2 + 5 = 39

Bite: 1d20 + 9 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 9 + 2 + 2 = 272d6 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (3, 3) + 6 + 2 = 14

Gonna let the claw attacks that were not counted above count here if that is ok? But now the cat flanks with Adolina.

Claw: 17 + 10 + 2 + 2 = 3115 = 15

Claw: 13 + 10 + 2 + 2 = 2716 = 16

Rake: 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 10 + 2 + 2 = 151d8 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 2 = 10
Rake: 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 10 + 2 + 2 = 331d8 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 6 + 2 = 11

Tiger:

N Large animal
Init +6; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +8
DEFENSE
AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+2 Dex, +3 natural, –1 size+4 deflection)
hp 45 (6d8+18)
Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +9

OFFENSE

Speed 40 ft.
Melee 2 claws +10 (1d8+6 plus grab), bite +9 (2d6+6 plus grab)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks pounce, rake (2 claws +10, 1d8+6)

STATISTICS

Str 23, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Base Atk +4; CMB +11 (+15 grapple); CMD 23 (27 vs. trip)
Feats Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (Perception), Weapon Focus (claw)
Skills Acrobatics +10, Perception +8, Stealth +7 (+11 in areas of tall grass), Swim +11; Racial Modifiers +4 Acrobatics, +4 Stealth (+8 in tall grass)

Spells on:

Magic Circle 10'- This is +2 Resistance bonus to saves and +2 deflection bonus to AC
Resist Electricity 20 Communal
Delay Poison Communal
Aura of Doom DC 19 Will or shaken, 20' radius
Barkskin +3 NA on Adolina
Freedom of Movement on Adolina
resist Energy Fire
divine favor
bull's strength
spiritual weapon
dispel evil


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

Go to Discussion Thread for Sacred Summons. For this battle only, I will let stand all the previous attacks by the creatures, and allow the earlier rolls of the Tiger attacks.
Between Reggie bite, Tiger attacks, Adolina attacks the Ogre goes down.

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 161d4 ⇒ 2

Cadas commands the tiger to hold a moment, while Adolina gets into position to flank the ogre. Robin sends a spray of particles into the back of the room where the lamia was, but it reveals nothing as the creature is just not there anymore. Adolina and Reggie bring the ogre to its knees, and the tiger, now attacking, kills it.

You hear growling and banging on the single door on the southern wall, and you see the double door open partially and then two female voices, one saying: "Gaitenī atrodas spēka siena."

Giant:
"There is a force wall across the hallway."

Next?
Level Map Updated

Lamia - Not there
Ogre - dead


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Just checking, any chance the lamia slipped on the Grease in the room as she escaped?


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Oh, I didn't read closely, she may have teleported!

Spellcraft to identify spell effect: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina, hearing the commotion outside, performs a quick, but thorough search of the ogre and his belongings, before a more cursory examination of the room as a whole, before rejoining her companions at the door.

Perception to search the room: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (19) + 14 = 33

I'm the rogue, its my job to loot the bodies!


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Robin stops his encouragement of the party for now, not wanting to run out of material. "What now? The bad guys can't get to us, but we can't get to them either!"

Still holding the cure wand in hand, Robin seems ready to heal the tiger if the party is ready to drop the wall of force.


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 201d4 ⇒ 4

Robin isn't sure what the lamia did, but she did something and is no longer in the room. Adolina, without the benefit of magic finds two potions, large well made hide armor, and a large well made hook that the ogre was swinging. Based on other treasure from ogres with hooks, she figures that the armor and hook are magical.

While nothing has come out of the room with the female voices, you do hear them using spellcasting words. Also the jammed door where the two male voices were coming from, is being pounded on from the inside and will probably break open in a few moments.

Next?
Level Map Updated

Cadas & Adolina - down one hp. Tiger 14 of 45 hp


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Casay’s first channels to heal then casts detect magic and surveys the room to make sure the group does not miss anything.

channel positive: 5d6 ⇒ (6, 4, 3, 1, 3) = 17


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

"Do we fall back now?" Marcellano asks, glancing nervously at the wall of force. "That won't hold much longer."

Honestly, if we're taking time to search the room, it's probably gone. It only lasts 8 rounds...


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

"Yep, time for a tactical retreat!" agrees Robin. Knowing he is slower than the others, he begins to hightail it out of there and down the steps!

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina did a visual sweep, not a full search.

"Go! I'll cover you!" Adolina agrees stepping into the shadows and out of sight.

She'll follow the others and stay/make distracting noises/fire xbow bolts as needed to give the others time to flee if it looks like someone is going to catch up with them.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Cadas is looking and detecting magic but is really to retreat as soon as the rest of the group is ready. The cat will stay and cover the retreat. It won't last but a round or two longer than the wall.


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 191d4 ⇒ 4

Cadas quickly casts detect magic and confirms that the potions, hook and hide armor are magical. As it would take much longer that the wall of force would last, Adolina just grabs the two potions and the hook.

Cadas quickly heals the tiger, and points at the doorways to the south. The hound archon comes out of the room with Adolina, and sets himself up to protect the group as you retreat down the stairs, thru the first level, down the stairs to the underneath, then out thru the underground secret door exit, which Adolina closes behind you, hoping that the creatures do not see it. You finally make it out thru the secret entrance behind the waterfall and make your escape into the woods.

As you are retreating thru the fort, you hear the door finally being battered down, the tiger roaring, and the hound archon baying. After 30 seconds or so, the growling of the enraged ogres seem to be moving down the stairs to the first floor, and when you emerge from the waterfall you can hear the main fort gate open and the ogres moving out into the main yard, ending up near the building that you burnt out.

Heading off into the woods, you meet up with Shalelu and Jakardros in the woods.

Next?

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

"That went pretty well." Adolina reports. "We did a lot of damage and left without them finding the secret entrance. If I get some sleep soon I could go back in tonight and see if I can finish a few more while they sleep... Otherwise we'd best go back in soon, try and catch them somewhere between really alert and rested."

She looks over her shoulder at the fortress. "Maybe put some distance between us and them first..."


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Our enemy is intelligent. What would we do after such a hit. When we go back in we need to consider that. They will likely be as ready as they can be.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

"Ha, those ogres are as smart as I am tall! Better make sure we keep watch, though. Those angry ogres might try to follow us to our camp! We should hide our trail from here."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

"Indeed," Marcellano says. "Hide our trail with whatever woodcraft we can. After that...it depends how many of them there are. Jakardos, what was your best estimate again? If we've killed a significant number of them they're likely to hole up somewhere for safety."


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

its not an ogre the leads this group and it’s not an urge I am worried about. Casas argues.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

"That's true," Marcellano frowns, thinking. "I wish we had access to a library..."

Knowledge (Arcana): what do I know about lamias?: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (16) + 18 = 34


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 111d4 ⇒ 1
@Marcellano:
You think it might be an advanced Lamia Matriarch LINK

Heading off deeper into the woods, with Shalelu and Jakardros covering the tracks, you find a quiet spot about one-half mile from the fort. Telling your tail of what occurred inside the Fort, Jakardros figures that you have killed off most of the low level ogres, and perhaps even the ogre leader. He tells you that their was an ogre magic user, and the sorceress woman, that you now know as the same type of creature that you fought on the roof in Magnimar.

The night passes peacefully.

Next?


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Cadas will make sure everyone's wounds are treated before she sleeps, so we should all be at full HP.

Upon rising and before she prepares her daily spells Cadas addresses the group I think we have to go back in, and the sooner the better, No telling what type of reception will be waiting for us but I doubt the lamia matriarch will either be idle or will have flown. What do you think we can expect? And how should we go in this time. I think they know we came through the lower levels last time.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

"We should be careful," Marcellano says with a frown. "Lamia matriarchs are powerful spellcasters in their own right--if we encounter the beast, she may try to charm us, put us to sleep, or distract us with illusions. I hope your god can protect us from some of that, Cadas. If not, I can use an abjuration scroll I have prepared." Communal protection from evil could be a good idea...I do have a scroll of it ready!

"As for myself...I'm happy with the idea of approaching through the front doors if we can. I was prepared for subterfuge yesterday and found myself rather lacking in firepower. I've prepared more today...and something else, too. I would like to try to scry on our target, if you all agree." He looks to the others for confirmation.

If possible, Marcellano will also use his downtime the night before to scribe a scroll of lightning bolt at CL 9 for 337 gp, 5 sp.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Cadas has maintained Circle of Protection from Evil 10'R every combat so far where she has had time to prep. I think Marcellano would know that.

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

"She won't be able to charm someone she can't see." Adolina grins. "Although I'm not always near the rest of you, if you have a one person version that could keep her out of my head that would be nice."

She stays quiet as the discussion over entry method begins. "I could take a look once we get close to the walls. Then we can make a more informed decision."


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 83/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

If we go the front door can we handle ogre sized barricades? Cadas asks.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

"We could maybe do the front door if there isn't anyone in the towers watching. We could let Adolina figure that out."


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 31d4 ⇒ 2
Which way are you going back into the Fort?


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

@Cadas: fair, though that could be a problem if we need to spread out.

Marcellano nods. "Let's see what the outer walls look like from a distance--then we can plan our approach."

Is it ok for me to scribe that scroll, DM.Papa?

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Stealth: 1d20 + 31 ⇒ (10) + 31 = 41
Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (15) + 14 = 29

Adolina goes ahead to scout out the defenses on the main wall and the gates - if its clear she will report as much to the rest and that will be the entry point.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Robin casts Message on everyone and tries to keep an eye on Adolina from a safe vantage point.


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 131d4 ⇒ 2

Adolina stealthily approaches the Fort, keeping a sharp eye out for anything out of the ordinary. Seeing no signs of ogres or other creatures, she enters the fort at the open and broken northern gate(B1), and approaches the main area(B11). The doors to the actual interior building are off the hinges and laying on the ground. They were ok when you saw them yesterday as you fought your way thru the first floor of the Fort.

Next?

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina slips out and makes her report. "All the gates are broken. If I didn't know better I'd say that the ogres had cleared out and done as much damage as they could on the way. We can go through the main gate - but we'd best be careful!"


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Robin starts to pout. "Well that's no fun, is it? I guess we scared 'em off? Let's go see if there are any stragglers."

Robin magically imbues Adolina and Cadas with heroic courage! Casting Heroism - lasts 90 minutes.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

"Proceed cautiously," Marcellano mutters, as he does so.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

"...cautiously like finding out what's going on!" Marcellano exclaims suddenly, slapping his forehead in exasperation. "Hold on! Let me see if I can..." He roots around in his bag and pulls out a mirror. Placing it on the ground in the dirt, he digs his finger into the dust and etches a series of symbols in a circle around it.

Gonna try scrying on the lamia who escaped. It's a DC 19 Will save for her to resist!


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

Spell Resistance: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 9 + 2 = 17 vs SR 19

Before entering the Fort, Marcellano takes out a mirror, and attempts to scry the lamia. He realizes that the spell fails, he is unable to overcome the lamia natural resistance to spells.

Next?

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 2/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 17/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina goes ahead, moving carefully through the first floor and peeking into every open door and listening at every keyhole. When she finds threats she reports back to the group.

Take 10 for 41 stealth.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

Marcellano follows at a safe distance, sticking close to the main body of the group.

4,951 to 5,000 of 5,564 << first < prev | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Papa.DRB - Rise of the Runelords - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.