Rise of the Runelords by DM Doctor Evil (again)

Game Master DM DoctorEvil

Rise of the Runelord. Chapter 3

Hook Mountain Clanhold Overview Map

Hook Mountain Battle Mapb


5,351 to 5,400 of 5,548 << first < prev | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | next > last >>

Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

Marcellano;mm: 5d4 ⇒ (1, 3, 2, 3, 1) = 10

Robin, continues to uses his words to harm the ogre, while Adolina and Cadas put down the ogre next to the cleric. Shadowlina continues to drain strength from the ogre near Robin, and Marcellano(bot) uses a magic missile spell which knocks the ogre unconscious.

With the giant and one ogre dead, and the other unconscious, the battle is over.

Next?
Map Updated

What are you going to do with the unconscious ogre? He is at 21HP, but -7HP when including the non-lethal damage. He will recover in a few rounds and get up.

Spells on group (if different, let me know) (minus three minutes on each one)
Heroism - 100 minutes per person (used 4 2nd level spells)
Freedom of Movement - 100 minutes on Adolina
Communal Delay Poison - 180 minutes on Adolina, Cadas; 120 minutes on Robin, Marcellano
Magic Circle Against Evil - 100 minutes on all who stay within 10 feet of Cadas
Barkskin - 100 minutes on Cadas +4 AC
Message - 100 minutes on all
Mage Armor - 10 hours on Marcellano

Status
(HP Cur/Max, AC)

Robin (66/110, 20)
Adolina (103/104, 25)
Shadowlina (33/52, 15]
Marcellano (76/76, 15,ma19)
Cadas (74/95, 23,24 consecrated shield)


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

We wanted to interrogate someone right? I can charm person and hope he's friendly.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Will charm person work on an ogre?

Cadas will channel to heal people who are hurt.

Channel positive to heal: 7d6 ⇒ (6, 2, 1, 3, 4, 4, 6) = 26


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

I think so because ogres are still humanoids--but actually I never added Charm Person to my spell list. Whoops! Marcellano?

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Shadowlina recoils away from Cadas before returning to drain the ogre's strength some more. Adolina doesn't stop her companion, but does step in when the ogre's breath becomes laboured.

Str Drain: 6d6 ⇒ (4, 6, 1, 4, 5, 6) = 26 The idea being that Adolina will stop Shadowlina once it becomes clear that the ogre is getting dangerously weak - once its nice and low it'll be ready for interrogation!


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Four Robins speak in unison. "Thanks, Cadas, we're all feeling a lot better!"

Eventually, the mirror images wink out of existence, leaving the solitary Robin who makes sure to disarm the large ogre.

Updated my HP and Bardic Performance rounds used.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Can anyone speak whatever language ogres speak? Cadas asks as she considers what to do about the living ogre.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

Sorry for the delay.

Marcellano steeples his fingers. "I have an enchantment prepared that could subdue this creature - and I speak Giant, which I think should be the right language. Many of them can crudely speak Common as well, I believe."

I have charm person prepped for exactly this reason, and I think it should work!


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Then get on with it by all means. :)

Cadas, returned to her normal size stands ready to put the creature down should it resist. She glances worriedly into the cave maw and says Hurry.

At best it will answer questions for us I think. I doubt it will fight for us.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

Oh no way will it fight for us. But maybe we can convince it to hang out elsewhere and answer questions? ;) If it's up in a few rounds (I thought nonlethal damage took longer to heal!) then Marcellano will stand ready, and as soon as it's conscious...

Marcellano whirls his fingers and glowing rune appears on his forehead. "Rigardu en miajn okulojn. Parolu kun mi; mi estas amiko." he says, his voice heavy with magic.

Giant:
"Look into my eyes. Speak with me; I am a friend."

Charm Person has a DC 16 Will save...

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

If I can get it down to less than 5 strength it can barely stand up, let alone go anywhere!


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

Between emergency grand daughter watching and being sick the rest of the week, I have not had much of a chance to post.

DM rolls:

Ogre Will Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21 vs DC 16
Re: non-lethal damage, yea it is 1 hp per hour. I am going to "assume" Shadowlina strength drains it enough so it is not a threat, and then Cadas includes it in several of the channels, so it is at least in positive HP. I don't think you want to wait outside for seven+ hours while it heals itself.

"Jūs neesat draugs. Es tevi nogalināšu." and the ogre tries to stand but just falls back down.

Giant:
"You no friend. Me kill you."

Next?


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Unable to speak giant, Cadas watches the cave entrance for trouble.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Welcome back, David--hope you're feeling better.

Robin listens to the angry-sounding ogre as he crumples back to the ground. "Er did it work? He sounds kinda peeved to me, Marcy!" Robin was not about to miss the show, even if it could really use some subtitles.

"Ask him why his people attacked Fort Rannick. And the name of the boss they're working for!"


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

Marcellano scowls. “No, no it didn’t. Damn. We’ll have to do this the hard way.” Turninng to the ogre, he tries to adopt an imperious attitude.

Intimidate: 1d20 - 5 ⇒ (20) - 5 = 15

“Kiu estas via estro? Kial vi atakis la fortikaĵon de la homoj?“

Giant:
“Who is your leader? Why did you attack the humans’ fortress?”


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 201d4 ⇒ 1

Trying to stand, the giants finally gives up and falls back to a prone position and grunts at Marcellano "ES tevi nogalināšu".

Giant:
"I kill you."

Status
(HP Cur/Max, AC)

Robin (92/110, 20)
Adolina (104/104, 25)
Shadowlina (33/52, 15]
Marcellano (76/76, 15,ma19)
Cadas (95/95, 23,24 consecrated shield)

Spells on group (if different, let me know) (minus three minutes on each one)
Heroism - 100 minutes per person (used 4 2nd level spells)
Freedom of Movement - 100 minutes on Adolina
Communal Delay Poison - 180 minutes on Adolina, Cadas; 120 minutes on Robin, Marcellano
Magic Circle Against Evil - 100 minutes on all who stay within 10 feet of Cadas
Barkskin - 100 minutes on Cadas +4 AC
Message - 100 minutes on all
Mage Armor - 10 hours on Marcellano


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Kill it. Cadas recommends. We have wasted enough time on this evil treat. Any advantate to letting the shadow kill it?

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Not for Shadowlina no. Does mean that cause of death wouldn't be obvious though and faster than us hacking it to death.

Str Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 3) = 8

At Adolina's nod, Shadowlina caresses the ogre and the creature collapses with a very final *thud*.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Robin cringes a little as the shadow offers a final embrace. "Remind me NOT to have a makeout session with Shadowlina!"

He refreshes Message on the entire party. "Right then, let's keep exploring this base. Maybe we'll find some ogres who will appreciate my jokes more!"

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

"Why Robin, are you feeling lonesome?" Adolina asks, striking a pose with one hand on her hip. Shadowlina mirrors the pose just behind her. "We could... look after you..." She says, waggling her eyebrows comically.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

“Please focus,” Marcellano mutters as he readies his wand and prepares to venture deeper into the dungeon full of cannibalistic, sadistic ogres.

:P


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Agreed. Let us advance.

Cadas will cast Bulls Strength on herself before entering the cave proper once she is sure the group is ready to move out. Duration will be 10 minutes.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

"Ooh, the good sister and the naughty sister. Who could say no?"

Marcellano Gallenica wrote:

“Please focus,” Marcellano mutters as he readies his wand and prepares to venture deeper into the dungeon full of cannibalistic, sadistic ogres.

:P

"Spoilsport," mutters Robin in return. But he falls in line, advancing with the party.

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina simply shrugs and moves off to the front of the party. Shadowlina follows, making 'come hither' gestures at Marcellano the whole way...

Adolina leads the group as far as the cave she found the giant and ogres in.

"This is as far as I got. Wait here and I'll see if we can repeat the trick!"


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 171d4 ⇒ 2

Having gotten nothing from the ogre, Shadowlina drains it of enough strength that it fails and dies. Adolina leads the group to where she found the giant and ogres(D5), and stops. Both she and Robin listen intently and hear something from all three directions. The one to the east seems to have the most noise coming from it, while to the south and west, while noise can be heard, it is much less.

Next?
Map Updated

Status
(HP Cur/Max, AC)

Robin (92/110, 20)
Adolina (104/104, 25)
Shadowlina (33/52, 15]
Marcellano (76/76, 15,ma19)
Cadas (95/95, 23,24 consecrated shield)
.
Spells on group (if different, let me know) (minus four minutes on each one)
Heroism - 100 minutes per person (used 4 2nd level spells)
Freedom of Movement - 100 minutes on Adolina
Communal Delay Poison - 180 minutes on Adolina, Cadas; 120 minutes on Robin, Marcellano
Magic Circle Against Evil - 100 minutes on all who stay within 10 feet of Cadas
Barkskin - 100 minutes on Cadas +4 AC
Message - 100 minutes on all
Mage Armor - 10 hours on Marcellano
Bull Strength - 10 minutes on Cadas (not minus 4)

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

"I'll check the quiet areas first." Adolina whispers, and glides westward in the shadows.

Stealth: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (9) + 23 = 32
Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (9) + 13 = 22


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

"None of them are truly silent, so be careful," Marcellano whispers back.


Narrator [Maps, handouts, pictures: Links in top of page spoiler]

I got confused on the directions, so ignore the compass rose. Left is west, etc. not the way the compass shows. And I just covered up the compass.

DM rolls:

?: 1d20 ⇒ 101d4 ⇒ 1

Robin makes sure that message is on everyone, and nods to Adolina as she begins moving towards the less noisy area to the west. The first thing she sees is a passage way heading south and some sort of creature caked in ice, moving around. Continuing on slowly and carefully, she sees a corridor heading north, and catches a glimpse of a stone giant and the woman / lamia, in her natural form, that you ran into earlier. There is also a stone giant guard there.

Adolina heads back to the group.

Next?
Map Updated

Creature in D8

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

"One stone giant and the lamia we fought under the castle." Adolina reports. "We should have the advantage if we move quickly. Cadas, do you still have a spell of silence? Taking them down without raising the alarm would be very helpful!"


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Slight retcon--before advancing, Robin heals himself!
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

The wand is clearly starting to peter out in healing power! 6 charges remain.

* * *

"Another lamia--could he be related to the one we defeated earlier?"


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

I can cast that spell once. Cadas confirms. But when I do I cannot cast other spells. So I will cast it on an item you hold. We should procure more scrolls of the spell when we resupply.

Robin, did you get the 26 points from the channel I did earlier? I know you were hurt badly.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

I think I got the 26 points of healing also. I think my HP was in the 60s at the end of the battle.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

“I’ll be able to cast a few spells once the area is silenced, but only thanks to his,” Marcellano adds, holding up his rod. “We’ll have to strike hard and fast! But I’m prepared to do so.”


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

"But then you won't get to hear my beautiful voice!" complains Robin. He looks at each of them in turn. "Oh I see how it is, you think that's a bonus!" He pretends to pout in the corner.

Robin still has inspiring dance moves and will try to stay out of the range of the Silence spell once combat begins, so let's do it!

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina proffers her necklace to Cadas to receive the spell and then, once everyone is ready, charges into the cavern!

Charge: 1d20 + 15 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 15 + 2 + 2 = 34 Damage: 1d10 + 3 + 3 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 3 + 3 + 7 + 2 = 25 Using glaive and challenging the lamia!


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

[ooc]Wait a moment. Who are you charging? Should we not all move up together to where we can see the enemy?[/b]

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

The lamia, and I was assuming we would, hence the 'once everyone is ready'. I was just trying to move things forward a little.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Gotcha. So Cadas casts the silence and we all move up to where ADolina can see the lamia. She charges with the silence on a necklace in what I hope is our surprise round. If that all works out Cadas would like to cast a spell in the surprise round. :)


Medium 11 - HP 110/110 - AC 30 - TAC 21 - FF 20 - CMD 29 - Init +5 - F +12 - R +10 - W +9 (+5 MA) - Perc +19 - Surge (Taboo) 6/6 - Inf 1/5 - GS 1/1 - Step 3/3 - 1st 4/4 - 2nd 2/2 - 3rd 2/2

Avdol Kebek had forgotten if he actually was Avdol Kebek or if he was just riding along in his body, it had been what seemed like an eternity. Time and space started making less and less sense the more he communed with the Akashic Record, and whether he was a man possessed by a spirit or a spirit possessing the man also became less and less important as he learned of the danger approaching Golarion...

Though when he saw the light, it appeared his trance was almost done. Soon he would awaken, and the Master of Masters would send him a sign...

Fancy dot for the thread.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The great rains around Turtleback Ferry turn to driving snow as winter comes with a fury upon Hook Mountain. Autumn is a forgotten dream as cutting wind lances through wool and leather, and treacherous ice crawls along the mountainside. Life is cruel, and short on the Hook. More now than ever as winter sinks her teeth into its crags.

Reaching the base of Hook Mountain is no big deal for the hardy Heroes of Sandpoint (etc) but the last few miles up the slope come with some hair-raising climbs, which slow your progress immensely.

Here you might should've had to make some Survival and Climb checks and be delayed going up the Mountain. We will assume you make them, eventually.

After some frustrating climbing, you stumble upon a old hunting trail and the climb eases. Further on, there are some insurmountable areas of pure ice, but persistence and sheer strength pay off in the long run, and you matriculate up the slope towards the cavern mouth at the top. As you get closer, you can see a steady stream of dark black smoke belching forth from the ogre stronghold. Whatever is happening up there, someone has quite a blaze burning.

Per the text, you should've had to deal with exposure to cold for the 3+ hours of the climb, which might've drawn down non-lethal HP some. Not sure if you were prepared for the bitter cold on the Hook.

The climb takes about 3 hours and everyone is out of breath, cold, and irritable by the time you are near the large opening in the rock face that decry the Kreeg ogre clan's home base. A pair of large and very alert ogres stand guard here. Unlike those guarding Fort Rannick,these ogres seem to be paying close attention to any movement and are ready for fight.

Here will assume you over powered the initial guards without them raising the alarm. These were more of the "strong ogres" that you saw in Fort Rannick, with levels in fighter as well as base ogre stats. Like the others, they carried magical hide armor and magical ogre hooks, along with a pair of mundane javelins each.

After dispatching the sentinels, you make ready to enter the clanhhold. Columns of thick black smoke pour from the 70' wide opening into the mountainside, but are instantly blown aside by the wind, so that only a pale grey column rises into the snowy sky. Despite the fact that you are entering the home of man-eating ogres, you are almost glad to be getting out of the driving snow and merciless wind. With Adolina leading the way, you enter, hoping for the best.


At the mouth of the cavern, jagged spurs of bone protrude from the stone on either side of the cave entrance, each towering twenty feet in height -- apparently the ribs of some monstrous behemoth.

Know Arcana DC 25:
The bones here are of a mature blue dragon, laid low by the Kreeg ancestors, and which speak a impressive testament to the power of the ancient ogre overlords of Hook Mountain.

Generations of ogres have decorated these bones with scrimshaw carvings, and you note, with some dismay, that the seven-pointed Sihedron Rune is incorporated into the markings in several locations.

The ceilings inside the clanhold are black with decades of soot from the fires that must be burning somewhere inside. The ceilings are rough and uneven but average about 25' above the rock-strewn floor in the passageways. Inside the caverns, the ceilings tend to vault to a domelike shape usually at least 50' high. The entire complex is unlit (unless mentioned otherwise) and while you can see well enough from the ambient, though heavily cloud-obscured, natural light, inside the passages are quickly lost in inky blackness.

The rib-rimmed passage leads inside the complex for 50' or more, and you can just make out some sort of statue on the left hand side, just out of the light beyond.

Not sure who has dark or low-light vision, but I imagine that Marcellano and Cadas (at least) will need some form of artificial light to be able to see anything inside. Understand that using such light in a pitch-dark cavern makes sneaking around inside quite a challenge as the light will be detectable from a long ways off.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

Ha. DEFINITELY did not know it was snowing!

Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (8) + 19 = 27

"By Nethys's right eye..." Marcellano whispers. "These are the bones of a blue dragon! And not a young one, either...these ogres must have been stronger than we realized, to slay one. Though perhaps they're not so fearsome today - it's clearly been here for a while."

He glances around at the others. "Do we dare risk a light?"

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

"Not yet." Adolina replies quietly. "Shadowlina and I can explore without light, it's easier without in fact. Ogres don't see in the dark do they? It'll be pretty easy to figure out where they are. Let me go first and see what I can, Then I'll come back and we can plan better."


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Robin also can't see in dim light or darkness.

"Ogres certainly smell in the dark!" retorts Robin, pinching his nose. He nods as Adolina offers to scout out ahead. Robin's main concern appears to be getting himself warm, as the halfling entertainer hops, skips, and jumps in place.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

And certainly did not know we were cold Good job on the description. I got a chill reading it. :)

Cadas stands shivering but only just and enjoys the break from the wind. She turns her back to the cave and conjures a small light on a coin but covers it before it can be seen.


Know Local DC 13:
Ogres do, in fact, have darkvision and low-light vision, and can see just fine in the pitch-dark tunnels of the Hook Clanhold.

Cadas illuminates a small item, covering it before its light gives away their position, and as the group gets warm from being out of the biting wind, it sounds like Adolina and her shadow will venture off into the dark for now, and report back while the others wait on the doorstep.

The deft half-elf slinks away, passing the large basalt statue on the left, but paying it little heed as it doesn't seem a threat. To her right, a deep pit perforates through the solid bedrock of the cavern floor, and disappears down deeper than Adolina can see. The stale reek of decay and old burnt wafts up from depths below, but there does not seem to be a fire going down there at present. The passage continues on from the fenestration, which is about 30' in diameter, up some rough-hewn stairs deeper into the complex.

As the sly warrior gets farther into the caverns, her senses are made aware of two things. First, the awful stink of dozens of ogres living in confined spaces can't help but linger here. It is the worst case of stale body odor she has ever known. As Robin said, they can smell in the dark, and as you move away from fresh air, that becomes quite apparent. Second, the black smoke continues to pour out above her head, blowing towards the main entrance and out into the driving snowstorm. Along with the soot, now Adolina can clearly hear the clang-clang-clang of metal being worked coming from farther inside.

Any investigation of the big statue or the burn pit, or keep moving? The statue can just be seen by those of you on the doorstep. If you risk a little light, I will give you more of the description, but it looks enormous from what you can see.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Not willing to give away their scout, Cadas resists the urge to investigate the statue until her return. She tests the connection of the Messsage spell speaking a brief word to the party's wizard. Are we still connected? she whispers.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

"Of course we're connected, we're standing right next to each other!"

Robin grins, knowing full well he wasn't the intended audience of that message.

Silver Crusade

HP:104/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE, 1 neg level
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Knw Loc: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25

Realising as she goes that she's underestimated the ogres, Adolina goes slowly and carefully, letting her shadowy and scentless doppleganger lead the way. Unwilling to return to the group without more to report she continues onwards, breathing a prayer to whatever god may be listening to soften her footsteps.

Stealth: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (17) + 23 = 40


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

"I'm still here," Marcellano mutters. Though I think it was actually Robin who cast that! :P

He gazes up at the smoke pouring out above them. "What do you suppose this could be from? I feel like it bodes ill, whatever it is..." He eyes the statue with curiosity, but isn't willing to risk more light until Adolina reports that it's safe to do so.

5,351 to 5,400 of 5,548 << first < prev | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Papa.DRB - Rise of the Runelords - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.