Rise of the Runelords by DM Doctor Evil (again)

Game Master DM DoctorEvil

Rise of the Runelord. Chapter 3

Hook Mountain Clanhold Overview Map

Hook Mountain Battle Mapb


5,401 to 5,450 of 5,519 << first < prev | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | next > last >>

As Adolina continues to creep forward, she hears the rough grumble of ogre voices speaking in their native patois. Silent as a mouse, she ascends the rocky steps and after about 50' of climbing, she finds herself looking into a central chamber. Tunnels lead off from this choke-point in all the cardinal directions, her own approach is from the east. The clamor of hammers falling and the thick black smoke comes from the south. To west, curving stairs up obscure what might be int that direction, and to the north, the path splits once again after about 30' from the central chamber.

Sitting in the middle of the choke-point are another pair of Kreeg ogre guards replete with the now familiar ogre hooks and hide armor. Along with the expected ogres is another figure, taller and broader than the Kreegs. Looking twice, Adolina sees that it is, in fact, a hill giant. The two ogres seem to be playing some kind of verbal joke on the giant, who is scratching his head with a confused expression on his over-sized face. The ogres send most of the time yucking it up, and not really paying any attention to guard duty.

The chamber here is about 40' wide and about 50' long. The ceiling expands up from the usual 25' to over 50' high. As mentioned, columns of black smoke flow in from the south and out the passage to the east. The clang-clang of hammers on iron resonates from that same southern passageway, and there is a glow of flickering fires from that direction.

Silver Crusade

HP:95/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

With something finally concrete to report Adolina retreats the way she came and returns to the rest of the group before giving a detailed description of everything she has seen so far.

"Light will be very obvious, but we might be able to use that to our advantage." She suggests after explaining the situation. "If we placed a lit pebble or two we could likely draw the guard ogres forward and into a trap. The main issue would be stopping them getting away again."


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Robin brightens at Adolina's proposal. "Oh, I could do better than some pebbles. I could conjure some lights to travel from where they are to where we're waiting!" Dancing lights. Robin looks around to see if Cadas and Marcellano are on board with the plan.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

And I have a silence. Perhaps Adolina needs to come back for it before we begin all this? Cadas adds, not wanting to pull the entire cavern at once.

Silver Crusade

HP:95/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

I did. No point risking anything at this point.


Adolina creeps back to the group, appearing suddenly out of the darkness along with her shadowy twin. The move is enough to startle all of the others for a brief second, but then, as everyone calms down, the group begins to plan their assault on the ogres and hill giant.

Let me know the final plan. If you add lights, you may be seen from farther off, but if you don't, getting everyone there quietly might be an issue. If you put on light, I will give the description of the statue that stands nearby.

Silver Crusade

HP:95/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

"Let's use Robin's lights to draw them past the corner and then jump them from the side passage." Adolina suggests, "That way we can cut off their retreat."

Lights at D5 to draw them towards D3. We hide in D4 and cut them off that way?


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Cadas nods, stiffening slightly as she prepares for violence.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

"I also have a spell that can cut them off from the rest of the caverns if we need to use it," Marcellano adds, "though I'd suggest we try the ambush first."

I do have wall of force prepped - but why waste a good spell? ;)


This is a fight that's already happened, and while it may set up differently, I am just going to assume the same outcome and resources used.

Moving in the dark, holding hands or keeping constant contact so as to not leave anyone behind, the group forms up in the small alcove near the large pit.

Once everyone is place and all the buffs placed, Robin sends a grouping of flickering lights into the choke-point at the intersection of passages. Despite their distraction of teasing the slow-witted hill giant, even the lazy ogres cannot miss this sight. Shouting and scrambling they move to investigate the hill giant trailing slightly behind.

Even though the ogres are tough and the hill giant a handful, they company of heroes has their way with the guards in fairly short order. Fortunately, though the sounds of combat echo in the stone caverns, they clanging from beyond drowns the sound out enough that no other Kreeg ogres come to investigate, at least not right away.

After the fight, with the lights still active, the rest of the group can see the outlines of the choke-point chamber and the passages leading off of it. The noise of clanging hammers, black smoke, and even the murmur of voices comes from the southern passage. Nothing else is seen or heard from the other ways.

[ooc]So from here on out, we will use the resouces list kindly generated by Cadas and will have actual round by round combats if such become available.

Silver Crusade

HP:95/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

"Left or right?" Adolina asks, preparing to set off on her next scouting run.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

After the fight Cadas pauses to look at the statue casting Detect Magic as she does.

Or strait? I see three ways to go. Cadas notes. But I am thinking left.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

"I agree," Marcellano says. "We know that someone, at least, is down there. Better to go investigate there first and make sure that we're not cut off from retreat while in a potentially empty room off the other passages."


With the light openly showing now, Cadas wanders back down the hall to investigate the large basalt statue in the corridor. The statue is enormous, nearly 40' tall and stands in frozen vigil, it's black skin worn away by time so that it is covered in cracks and fissures like the bed of a dried river. He wears majestic armor, gilded and encrusted with gems, and grips a towering glaive in his armored fists. The giant's face is hidden by the ferocious full helm forged into the sneering grimace of a fanged devil. Around the giant's neck hangs a now-familiar medallion, the seven-pointed star.

The medallion does radiate a faint magical aura.

Spellcraft to ID DC 20:
This gargantuan medallion emits a faint aura of necromancy and seems to have all the same properties of the smaller sihedron medallion your group has already found -- a resistance bonus on saves, an effect similar to false life, and a permanent gentle repose on the wearer. It also seems to be the focus of some sort of scrying magic, but try as you might, no more answers about that are revealed.

Sounds like the consensus is the southern most passage from which the smoke, sounds, and voices seem to be coming. Correct? Adolina scouting or the whole party moving?

Silver Crusade

HP:95/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

In situations like this Adolina is never going to let the rest of the group go without looking first. They're too noisy!

Adolina nods at the group decision and slides off into the darkness.

Per: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14
Stealth: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (10) + 23 = 33


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

the necklace is magic but I am not quite sure what it is. Maybe necromancy... Cadas notes as Adolina leaves to explore. [b]Leave it for now. Its too large for one of us to wear anyway.[/ooc]


Leaving the others to backtrack to the giant statue, Adolina and her shadow companion creep up the stairs to the south, moving as silently as she can. The thick smoke is heavier here, not just hugging the ceiling high above, but still hanging down low enough to make breathing slightly more difficult. The flickering lights, she assumes are from fires, grow steadier as she nears the cavern opening.

Adolina:

At the top of the stairs, Adolina sees that fire and thick black smoke reign here, spewing from pits in the bedrock where forge fires glow. Anvils loom throughout this enormous cavern. The ring of steel on steel thunders here as giant hammers crash down again and again on glowing half-forged blades and axe heads.

All told a work crew of 10 ogres slave away here, toiling endlessly at the forges to craft giant blades and other weapons from raw iron ore. Two larger, more powerful Kreeg ogre taskmasters prowl behind the workers, snarling, belching, guffawing, and roaring commands incessantly. Dozens of red-hot blades are in various stages of the creation, and the walls of the cavern are lined with hundreds of finished products, way more weapons than would be needed for the amount of ogres (and their allies) you have seen so far. It is apparent that something greater is afoot here!

You can either sum up, or just tell the others to read the spoiler when/if you report back to them.

Silver Crusade

HP:95/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

"Two boss ogres and a lot of slaves." Adolina reports. "They're forging weapons, an awful lot of weapons. Something is going on here but I don't think we should tackle them right now - it'd be a massive fight for no good reason."

She gives the others some time to process, and then speaks again. "I'll check the next passage round."

Just gonna take 10 from now on for 33 stealth. :)


I was kind of waiting to post the next bit until others had a chance to hear your report and react, but will move you along for now.

Leaving the ogre forge crew until later, Adolina stealthily sets out for the next passage to check it out and assess any threats. The next passage is much narrower, but also climbs steep steps out of the choke-point where Adolina leaves the others.

As she ascends, foul odors permeate the air, like something gone to rot mixed with a wretched unwashed smell. Adolina and Shadowlina stick to the wall peering into the room where a flickering fire burns.

Adolina:
This foul-smelling cave is cluttered with an appalling amount of body parts, dead animals, spoiled food, and filth but most hideous is what bubbles and cooks in a huge cauldron over a sputtering fire in a nook to the north. Three repulsive creatures, humanoid, perhaps women, with skin the color of an old bruise sit here, muttering to themselves. One is a hulking humpbacked creature wiht over-sized talons sprouting from her stumpy arms. Another is tall and thin like a skeleton wrapped in ugly purple flesh and a sagging and stained white robe. The third has a mass of pustules and gold-piece sized warts that weep with ooze on her horrible face. She is squat, fat, with bulbous breasts that hang almost to her knees.

As you watch, suddenly, sharply, the middle sister looks up from the ritual they were intoning and cries out something in a strange tongue, clearly expecting a reply.

Does Adolina (or Shadowlina) speak Giant?

[spoiler=GM Screen]
Perception, aid: 1d20 + 13 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 13 + 4 = 34

Unlike your former GM, I do roll things in secret in the GM Screen spoilers, so no peeking unless directed please.

Silver Crusade

HP:95/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

You might want to make sure the spoiler tag works then. ;) To nest them you have to have an unlabelled one inside the labelled one (and so forth).

Demonstration:

Hiding Things

Spoiler:
Mystery Roll: 1d600 ⇒ 231

-----------------------------
Neither Adolina nor her shadow can respond to the obvious question.

"Guys, get up here I think they found me. Might need that wall of force!" Adolina whispers, hoping that the magic will carry her words back to her companions.

Unwilling to take chances she falls back as quietly as she can down the corridor.

Stealth: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (12) + 23 = 35 For future reference GM, can Shadowlina aid Adolina's stealth check/vice versa?


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Earlier - did not see updates until this morning...

Speaking through the message link Cadas ponders <<Slaves. I wonder if they would fight against their captors...>>

Now

Cadas advances. <<They?>> she questions as she moves.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

"Time to move!" whispers Robin with urgency as Adolina believes she's detected. He moves as fast as his little legs can manage!


Male Human (Chelaxian) Conjurer 5/Cyphermage 5
Stats:
HP: 84 | AC/T/FF: 15/14/12 19/14/16 | Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +10 | CMD: 18 | Init: +7 | Perc +8, Sense Motive +2 (each +2 with Narcizia) | Shift Remaining: 7/8

Earlier...

Spellcraft DC 20: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (3) + 18 = 21

"This is like the medallion we've already found," Marcellano murmurs to Cadas. "A necromantic simulation of good health, protection, and resistance to decay...and..." He jerks back suddenly. "And, it's the focus of some sort of scrying magic!"

Just then, Adolina's message comes through. Marcellano curses as he draws his enfeebling wand and follows the others.


Adolina:
When Adolina doesn't respond to the hags but instead whispers something back down the hall, the humpbacked creature calls out to her in the Common tongue. "Child quit skulking around in the shadows. Come forward and let us see what has been doing all the killing of children lovers. We are old women, and would rather you come here and parlay with us, instead of us having to go hunt you down. Now come forward and be seen!"

The tone is without fear and rather insistent, but so far, there has been on immediate threat. Adolina can hear the others coming, but they are far enough away that it will be a suspiciously lengthy silence unless she answers or appears first.

Adolina's message carries back to the rest of the group, who are puzzled and alarmed at her cryptic statement. Hurrying to catch up, they are just far enough away to catch the words spoken inside the cavern.

I wasn't really trying to embed the second spoiler, but failed to round off the end of the tags, so it looked like it. I find I often fail to close off the parenthetical commands, and then fail to catch it in edit...

Silver Crusade

HP:95/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina however has not survived as long as she has by being foolishly brave. Confident of her cover in the shadows she remains hidden and makes no move towards the three old women that she strongly suspects are witches, hags or both.


I will move this to rounds, with the rest of the party 1 round out if they have 30' movement, and 2 rounds out if they have 20' movement.

The hags wait a heartbeat, then two. "So you want to play this the hard way, eh missy? That's fine! We wanted a parley, but will take a snack just as well." And the coven begins casting something.

GM Screen:

Briselda: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Grelthaga: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Larastine: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Adolina: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Marcellano: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
Robin: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (4) + 14 = 18
Cadas: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17


Circle of Sisters - Round 1

20 Marcellano (1 round away)
18 Robin (2 rounds away)
17 Cadas (2 rounds away)
15 Grelthaga (Blue Hag)
14 Adolina
5 Briselda (Red Hag)
3 Larastine (Green Hag)

The hags beginning chanting and waving their hands around in unison, spinning up some sort of awful magic that takes all three of them to cast.

The action is down to Adolina. You can stand pat still, if you choose, or take whatever actions you see fit. I am working on a close-up version of the map, for combat purposes, and will link at top when complete.

Silver Crusade

HP:95/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

With combat now inevitable Adolina gives a tiny mental shrug and leaps into action. She and her shadow double both strike at the green hag with claws and glaive, hoping to disrupt the magic the coven is weaving.

Imp Feint: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23
Glaive: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (15) + 15 = 30 Damage: 1d10 + 15 ⇒ (9) + 15 = 24
Shadow Touch: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27 Str Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4

Since the map is still 10ft squares(?) Adolina wants to move to somewhere where she threatens both green and red with her glaive so as to maximise AOOs. Will roll a couple in case.

AOO 1: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (16) + 15 = 31 Damage: 1d10 + 15 ⇒ (4) + 15 = 19
AOO 2: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (5) + 15 = 20 Damage: 1d10 + 15 ⇒ (4) + 15 = 19


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

@DocEvil -- can we get into the battle a round faster if I cast Dimension Door taking Cadas with me?


You could definitely use a spell slot to cast a dimension door and speed up your transportation

Sorry, guys, I ran out of time tonight to make more of a post. Will catch us up tomorrow.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Ready to go when you are Robin. How many can you bring? Might as well bring us all if you can.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Oh, apparently I can bring up to 3 people. Let's do this.

As it becomes apparent that Adolina has been detected, Robin gets to work. "Everyone hold hands--I'm taking us there using a shortcut!"

*Pop*

With the aid of some magics, the party heads through a dimensional rift and makes a sudden appearance to the battle! Robin is momentarily too tired to act further.

Okay, I popped in. That necessarily ends my action per the Dimension Door spell.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Then do you want to place us on the map? It is the end of your turn but I think we should get to act.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

I don't know how precise I can be, because I'm teleporting us to a place I haven't seen before. I'll put us on the map based on teleporting right next to Adolina.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Ok. Then I'll wait to see what our DM says on placement and who's turn it is.


Circle of Sisters - Round 1 - continued

As soon as they hear the sound of ruckus and the magical message from Adolina, Robin starts casting his version of a teleportation spell, hoping to make the jump to where his teammate is in peril.

Moving to the bard, Cadas and Marcellano hitch a ride. Not having been in this room before, Robin can only visualize (or guess at) the space where the stairs (which he has seen) must end. Even then it is a great risk, but pays off as everyone lands in open space.

I moved you to the nearest place that Robin could safely visualize, not having seen the room before. He could guess that the space at the top of the stairs was safe. Since everyone had to be touching Robin to make the "jump", I will assume that the passengers used a move action to accomplish that. They land with with either another Move or Standard action left. Robin is tired from the rigor of the spell, and his turn ends.

As her allies appear, Adolina and her shadowy companion lay into the green hag. The hag's thick skin resists the slicing and piercing of the glaive a bit, but nothing stops the shadow's strength drain.

I will hold for actions from Cadas and Marcellano, if any.


I guess I will assume that Cadas and Marcellano delay. They can pop in with actions next round...

Circle of Sister - Round 1 - concluded

After the half-elf and her shadowy companion appear from the entryway and assault one of the sisters, Red Hag mutters her own spell, and a cloud of dense fog fills the center of the chamber, concealing everything more than 5' away. Even adjacent creatures are hard to see in the heavy mist.

The Green Hag, wounded from attacks by Adolina and her shadow, moves into the mist and attacks Adolina with claw and tooth. But the fog helps Adolina's marital defenses, and none of the attack hit, or really come close.

End of Round 1

Green hag bite: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15
Green Hag claw 1: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (9) + 13 = 22
Green hag claw 2: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15


Circle of Sisters - Round 2

20 Marcellano
18 Robin
17 Cadas
15 Grelthaga (Blue Hag)
14 Adolina
5 Briselda (Red Hag)
3 Larastine (Green Hag)(24hp dmg, 4 STR dmg)

Back to Marcellano, Robin, and Cadas to act in Round 2.


F Human Shoanti [AC: 23/12 tch/21 ff; HP 95/95; Frt +9, Ref +5, Will +13; Perc +19/21 vs creatures] Cleric 10, Init:+1, Diplo +8, Heal +15, Sense Motive +15

Got busy with life. Unsure if I act once or twice? Working on my action now...

After arriving in the room Cadas casts divine power before advancing.


Cadas wrote:

Got busy with life. Unsure if I act once or twice? Working on my action now...

After arriving in the room Cadas casts divine power before advancing.

Let's just say one action. That you were a little dazed by the distorting effects of transport. I don't think losing a round of action will change the outcome of the fight.


I was kind of still waiting on actions by Robin and Marcellano before advancing. I will move on without them tomorrow if no post.


I was kind of still waiting on actions by Robin and Marcellano before advancing. I will move on without them tomorrow if no post.


Male Halfling Bard (Wit) 10 | AC 21 T 14 FF 18 | HP 109/110 | F+8 R+13 W+9 (+11 vs fear) | Perc +14 | Init +14 (always act in surprise round) |

Oh shoot, I totally missed that it's my turn again!

As fog obscures his vision, Robin calls out. "I know you hags are ugly, there's no need to hide it!" Robin inspires his allies in his own way, while stepping forward.

"Okay, fine, two can play the hiding game!" Robin casts a spell and touches Marcellano. When he doe so, both Robin and Marcellano disappear from view!

5-foot step, Inspire Courage, Invisibility Sphere on Marcellano.


I will delay Marcellano.

Circle of Sisters - Round 2 - continued

Robin casts a spell making he and Marcellano invisible, even though the fog cloud was giving them concealment because you can never be too careful.

Cadas prays for divine power and is infused by Gozreh with more prowess than she typically possesses .

Blue Hag stops her spellcasting when she hears that her sisters are not joining in. Instead she enters into the fog and slashes her long claws at Adolina but rends only foggy air.

Adolina's reach AoO cannot happen vs Blue due to full concealment when Blue leaves the threatened square. Adolina and her shadow are up now.

Blue hag claws: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (9) + 13 = 22


I will delay Marcellano.

Circle of Sisters - Round 2 - continued

Robin casts a spell making he and Marcellano invisible, even though the fog cloud was giving them concealment because you can never be too careful.

Cadas prays for divine power and is infused by Gozreh with more prowess than she typically possesses .

Blue Hag stops her spellcasting when she hears that her sisters are not joining in. Instead she enters into the fog and slashes her long claws at Adolina but rends only foggy air.

Adolina's reach AoO cannot happen vs Blue due to full concealment when Blue leaves the threatened square. Adolina and her shadow are up now.

Blue hag claws: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18

Silver Crusade

HP:95/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Adolina dances backwards before slashing at green again. Shadowlina takes advantage to float behind green and drain her strength again.

Glaive: 1d20 + 15 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 15 + 2 + 2 = 25 Damage: 1d10 + 15 ⇒ (2) + 15 = 17
Glaive: 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 10 + 2 + 2 = 30 Damage: 1d10 + 15 ⇒ (6) + 15 = 21
Touch: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 11 + 2 = 23 Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4

If I can't see to use reach I'll attack with my katana which would be +1 to hit and less damage.

Katana Damage: 1d8 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14
Katana Damage: 1d8 + 13 ⇒ (6) + 13 = 19


So, you can use glaive at reach and take a 50% miss chance, or you can use Katana at 5' distance and take 20% miss chance. Your call. Shadowlina provokes from Green with the movement she makes, but with the partial concealment miss chance.

Silver Crusade

HP:95/104; AC:25 (29) FF:-- T:22; F:+8 R:+12 W+3; Init +7, P/ SM +12, Stealth +23; Challenge 3/3 (+7 damage, +2 AC/Saves), Resolve 3/3, Shadow Illusion 1/1, Active: FoM, Heroism, MCvsE
Shadowlina:
HP 23/52, AC 15 FF13 T15, F: +8, R: +6, W: +4, Incorporeal Attack +11/+6, d6 Str Damage.

Katana Miss Chance, low bad: 1d100 ⇒ 31
Katana Miss Chance, low bad: 1d100 ⇒ 20
Touch Miss, low bad: 1d100 ⇒ 71


Circle of Sisters - Round 2 - concluded

Moving in close, so she can see better in the fog, Adolina manages to hit the green hag once more with her katana. Again the hag's withered skin lessens the damage somewhat. The heroine's second attack is lost as wisps of fog obscure her target.

Shadowlina hits the green hag again, draining more strength from her large form. Even though the hag hits Shadowlina, the claws pass right through her shadowy form.

Red Hag steps forward to keep the pressure on Adolina, but all of her attacks miss badly.

Green hag is just trying to get away from the shadow, when she stumbles into Adolina in the mist. Her bite and claws hit from flanking, but she cannot grab the slippery half elf in her weakened state.

End of Round 2

Adolina is hit for 16hp dmg, but the grapple fails (I think).

Green hag Aoo claws: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25
Red Hag Bite: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (6) + 13 = 19
Red Hag Claw 1: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15
Red Hag Claw 2: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17
Green Hag Bite, flank: 1d20 + 13 - 4 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 13 - 4 + 2 = 28
Green Hag claw 1, flank: 1d20 + 13 - 4 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 13 - 4 + 2 = 27
Green Hag claw 2, flank: 1d20 + 13 - 4 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 13 - 4 + 2 = 19
Green bite dmg vs Adolina: 1d6 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (5) + 7 - 4 = 8
Green Claw dmv vs Adolina: 1d6 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (5) + 7 - 4 = 8
Green grab vs Adolina: 1d20 + 19 - 4 ⇒ (6) + 19 - 4 = 21


Circle of Sisters - Round 3

20 Marcellano (invisible)
18 Robin (invisible)
17 Cadas
15 Grelthaga (Blue Hag)
14 Adolina (16hp dmg)
5 Briselda (Red Hag)
3 Larastine (Green Hag)(33hp dmg, 8 STR dmg)

Marcellano, Robin, and Cadas are up to start Round 3. Someone may want to run Marcellano, if he doesn't post himself.

5,401 to 5,450 of 5,519 << first < prev | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Papa.DRB - Rise of the Runelords - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.