Starfinder Starship Operations Manual

4.20/5 (based on 5 ratings)
Starfinder Starship Operations Manual
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition $39.99

Add PDF $19.99

Add Non-Mint $39.99 $29.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Blast off into space with the Starship Operations Manual, Starfinder's latest rules expansion hardcover! Outfit your beloved starship with more than 100 new starship weapons, expansion bays, alternate armors, and systems like drop pods, ramming prows, mines, ablative armor, virtual intelligences, and more. If you're looking for a new ride, you'll find profiles of leading starship manufacturers as well as statistics for more than 40 new starships found throughout the galaxy.

The Starship Operations Manual puts you at the controls, offering bold new ways to present starship combat, from dogfights in planetary atmospheres to daring chases through asteroid fields to pitched battles between huge fleets. New rules allow crewmembers to get even more out of their skills and feats, unlocking thrilling critical success results that add excitement to starship combat. Take your adventures into the great unknown and beyond with the Starfinder Starship Operations Manual!

ISBN-13: 978-1-64078-249-5



Other Resources: This product is also available on the following platforms:

Fantasy Grounds Virtual Tabletop
SoundSet on Syrinscape
Archives of Nethys

Note: This product is part of the Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 11 to 20 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 11 to 20 business days.

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO7114


See Also:

Average product rating:

4.20/5 (based on 5 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

No matter how much they try to improve starship combat,its stil easier to skip

1/5


Must-have splat

5/5

First of all, HMM's contribution of alternate jump drives is an idea so good that it warrants her being put on the line developer staff.

Beyond that though, if you're into starship combat, there is plenty more where that came from in here. I enjoyed every bit of this book, especially the deep dives on starship manufacturers and the elaborate list of different ships.

If you're one of those "I want ships for everybody, not a single one" people, we got you covered. Also you're a masochist.

If you're not into starship combat, the only thing of utility here is probably the "chase" sequence for alternate starship maneuver. But...you can't give this a bad rating because it doesn't have character stuff in the starship book.


Must have for Starship Lovers

5/5

I want to start out this review by making it clear that if you’re not bought into the fundamentals of the way starship combat works, this book is not likely to change your mind. However, that doesn’t change the fact that this book offers a number of fantastic options for both GMs and players to further enhance their experience using starships in their games.

For players:

- A multitude of new items to use in starship construction, including new weapons, systems and expansion bays. Personal highlights include modules that allow you to use class abilities during starship combat, alternate forms of armor and shields, and AI modules that can offer more aid during starship engagements

- New rules for boarding actions and squadron based combat to add more variety and tactical considerations to play

For GMs

- A multitude of premade ships to use in your game. Including lore and special abilities based on specific manufacturers.

-New rules systems for fleet-based combat as well as rules for atmospheric combat and space hazards

-Rules for creating starship-scale creatures

-Guidelines for starship building, including setting BP budgets

-Suggestions for ways to use starships beyond just their function within starship combat, including suggested plots and ways to make starship combat more interesting.

Ultimately, this is a must-buy for anyone who has an interest in using starships in Starfinder!


Full Power to Awesome

5/5

No two ways about it: this book is a game changer for the system. It has loads of new features both inside and out for ships and ship combat, plus FOURTY FOUR examples of ships to be used in campaigns. Sometimes I'll flip through that section like it's a car magazine. It's like they snuck in an Alien Archive book in this thing but for starships. Want to travel the stars in a different way than standard Drift? This book has 9 new forms of interstellar travel. All those special materials used in weapons and armors? Can be used in starship creation. Squadrons, Armadas, this book even helps plant the seed for ideas to be used in starship-focused campaigns. If you thought starship stuff was lacking before, prepare to sing a different tune after you get this one.


Must have addition to Starfinder.

5/5

A very good addition for the Starfinder system with a broad overview of starships features. Starship combat hasn’t been changed massively but a lot of good additions are contained in this book. Among my personal favorite new rules are rules for fleet combat so you can large scale fleet combat. It also contains a lot of new options for Starship including rules for Manufacturers. There also ton of new starships of every tier. It also contains suggestions and ideas for campaigns centering around starships, including a very cool idea for a space pirate campaign. So in summary good book I strongly recommend.


51 to 100 of 192 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Please, no. Firstly, mechas aren't starships and thus do not belong in this book (maybe in a potential Vehicle Operations Manual one day). But secondly, mechas are a singularly stupid concept. There is a reason why tanks are built like tanks.


15 people marked this as a favorite.

1) Mecha are awesome.

2) this is fantasy.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I disagree with number 1. Mechas are ridiculous.


12 people marked this as a favorite.

If you say so. I and others disagree.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Mechas are definitely an unnecessary complication if they fight on a scale intermediate between PCs and spaceships. They might be interesting if they become the counterpart of mounts in a Pathfinder campaign.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

We have Kaiju in Starfinder already though.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

There's huge and gargantuan power armor if you need something like that.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Power Armor =/= Mecha


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Xenocrat wrote:
There's huge and gargantuan power armor if you need something like that.

Yeah, but that isn't until level 11+. The gargantuan power armor is a level 19 weapon, and can't fly in space like mecha a la Gundam Wing.

I think the Dogfights concept is a stepping stone to mecha, but I'm still disappointed that it doesn't seem to be included in this book. With no softcover splatbooks being produced by Paizo, I doubt we'll get anything close to this for another couple years--which sucks for a feature people have been asking about at conventions and on messageboards for the past two years.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
bananahell wrote:
Xenocrat wrote:
There's huge and gargantuan power armor if you need something like that.

Yeah, but that isn't until level 11+. The gargantuan power armor is a level 19 weapon, and can't fly in space like mecha a la Gundam Wing.

I think the Dogfights concept is a stepping stone to mecha, but I'm still disappointed that it doesn't seem to be included in this book. With no softcover splatbooks being produced by Paizo, I doubt we'll get anything close to this for another couple years--which sucks for a feature people have been asking about at conventions and on messageboards for the past two years.

I don’t think this product description is supposed to be final. One of the developers has already talked about a starship racing system in the book (hosted by Zo!!) that wasn’t mentioned up there. It’s probably too early to confidently say what’s in and what’s not. That said, I’d like to second the request for dogfights. Starfinder is too cool not to have barrel rolling Arwing skirmishes.

Grand Lodge

Sweet can't wait for this to come out.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

I also third the request for dogfights, or the idea of PCs piloting a squad of tiny starfighters against enemy starfighters.


I can't wait for this to release! If this has even half the things I hope it will, I am definitely going to run a Starfox-style campaign with it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Dogfights probably wouldn’t be difficult to implement. The only real problem facing it is PC’s tiny starships getting blown up, which would be relatively easy, given how few hit points they’d have. Star Fox can probably inform a good solution here, by defining a clear threshold of damage PCs are allowed to take (and can be reduced to by an enemy strike in one round) before they must retreat, or risk death. Alternatively, if dropped below one hit point, PC ships can have an emergency deflector shield come on (perhaps projected from the shield points of the party’s primary starship), that can protect PCs against attacks for one round, giving them a chance to make it back to the safety of their ship.

Advantages to dogfighting can allow teamwork benefits (like flanking or cover fire) in addition to giving individual dogfighters traditional starship roles, like science officer or captain maneuvers, which would not need to be dependent on a player’s physical location inside a starship.

And as an alternative to powering up a primary starship, parties can invest their build points into making a set of dogfighters more powerful, diversifying available starship playstyles.

That’s how I’d like to see this play out, anyway.

Paizo Employee Contributor

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Zane Pendergast wrote:
I can't wait for this to release! If this has even half the things I hope it will, I am definitely going to run a Starfox-style campaign with it.

No sweet, Fox!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Things are going to be pretty exciting for Starfinder with this and Grimmerspace hitting in the same month.


bananahell wrote:
Please, for the love of Triune, tell me this book will finally include the rules for mecha.

...the rules for mecha already exist in the Power Armor section.

If you're talking about starship-type mecha, then you can just use the regular sharship rules for nearly all of it.

The only thing that I'd really want extra to make space mecha would be melee attacks, and I'm pretty sure this book is going to have ramming stuff that could be adapted.


6 people marked this as a favorite.

I’m very excited to be getting an entire book about creating romantic pairings between characters with the Icon background.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dracomicron wrote:
bananahell wrote:
Please, for the love of Triune, tell me this book will finally include the rules for mecha.

...the rules for mecha already exist in the Power Armor section.

If you're talking about starship-type mecha, then you can just use the regular sharship rules for nearly all of it.

The only thing that I'd really want extra to make space mecha would be melee attacks, and I'm pretty sure this book is going to have ramming stuff that could be adapted.

I hope you're not referring to the two or three suits of power armor that are size Huge because those are certainly not mecha. I'm talking giant robots you pilot that are hundreds of feet tall. Something like a cross between starships and power armor is what I would expect rules-wise.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'd think mechas would be vehicles actually.

Kinda like tripod, but humanoid (and maybe magical golem robots :p)


bananahell wrote:

I hope you're not referring to the two or three suits of power armor that are size Huge because those are certainly not mecha. I'm talking giant robots you pilot that are hundreds of feet tall. Something like a cross between starships and power armor is what I would expect rules-wise.

Well that is something you should clarify, because "mecha" is a broad term that can mean anything from a humble suit of power armor to the giant robot maid that sucked the atmosphere of Druidia in Spaceballs.

"Mecha" isn't just the robo they trot out to fight Godzilla.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dracomicron wrote:
bananahell wrote:

I hope you're not referring to the two or three suits of power armor that are size Huge because those are certainly not mecha. I'm talking giant robots you pilot that are hundreds of feet tall. Something like a cross between starships and power armor is what I would expect rules-wise.

Well that is something you should clarify, because "mecha" is a broad term that can mean anything from a humble suit of power armor to the giant robot maid that sucked the atmosphere of Druidia in Spaceballs.

"Mecha" isn't just the robo they trot out to fight Godzilla.

I disagree. Even the wiki articles says, "the term mecha may refer to both scientific ideas and science fiction genres that center on giant robots or machines (mechs) controlled by people."

Either way, mecha isn't power armor; Paizo has already made mention at past conventions that mecha are coming in the future. I just hope they're in this book.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think one issue with mecha is that not all mechas flie at all or fly in space :P There are multiple different type of mecha series so WHICH one are they adapting?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CorvusMask wrote:
I think one issue with mecha is that not all mechas flie at all or fly in space :P There are multiple different type of mecha series so WHICH one are they adapting?

Why not all?? :D I imagine they could adopt something akin to Upgrade Slots, where some can give the mecha flight capabilities and others tank treads or something.


bananahell wrote:
Dracomicron wrote:
bananahell wrote:

I hope you're not referring to the two or three suits of power armor that are size Huge because those are certainly not mecha. I'm talking giant robots you pilot that are hundreds of feet tall. Something like a cross between starships and power armor is what I would expect rules-wise.

Well that is something you should clarify, because "mecha" is a broad term that can mean anything from a humble suit of power armor to the giant robot maid that sucked the atmosphere of Druidia in Spaceballs.

"Mecha" isn't just the robo they trot out to fight Godzilla.

I disagree. Even the wiki articles says, "the term mecha may refer to both scientific ideas and science fiction genres that center on giant robots or machines (mechs) controlled by people."

Either way, mecha isn't power armor; Paizo has already made mention at past conventions that mecha are coming in the future. I just hope they're in this book.

I'm having difficulty seeing the difference between the two if they are meant to be different. If a 60' high Gundam and a 60' high powered armor stood next to each other, what's their distinction? What would make someone say "yeah, that Gundam is clearly a mech and the powered armor clearly isn't." Is it because some of us don't agree with their mechanics? Because their mechanics and what they are intended to model aren't always going to be the same or what you expect.


Sauce987654321 wrote:
bananahell wrote:
Dracomicron wrote:
bananahell wrote:

I hope you're not referring to the two or three suits of power armor that are size Huge because those are certainly not mecha. I'm talking giant robots you pilot that are hundreds of feet tall. Something like a cross between starships and power armor is what I would expect rules-wise.

Well that is something you should clarify, because "mecha" is a broad term that can mean anything from a humble suit of power armor to the giant robot maid that sucked the atmosphere of Druidia in Spaceballs.

"Mecha" isn't just the robo they trot out to fight Godzilla.

I disagree. Even the wiki articles says, "the term mecha may refer to both scientific ideas and science fiction genres that center on giant robots or machines (mechs) controlled by people."

Either way, mecha isn't power armor; Paizo has already made mention at past conventions that mecha are coming in the future. I just hope they're in this book.

I'm having difficulty seeing the difference between the two if they are meant to be different. If a 60' high Gundam and a 60' high powered armor stood next to each other, what's their distinction? What would make someone say "yeah, that Gundam is clearly a mech and the powered armor clearly isn't." Is it because some of us don't agree with their mechanics? Because their mechanics and what they are intended to model aren't always going to be the same or what you expect.

Well, for starters, a 60ft Power Armor is not anywhere near statted out, and will more than likely be too high of level to give access to a party in a Gundam-esque campaign. Point in case, the Warmaster's Harness is the largest power armor and item level 19. Unless you're going to start introducing Colossal power armor to level 3s, a new ruleset will be needed.

Wayfinders

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Plus many mecha properties out there have mechs that require more than one crew member (Pacific Rim for instance, which is namedropped in the CRB and was mentioned by Paizo on various occasions), which is not something you can really do with power armor as-is either.


bananahell wrote:
Sauce987654321 wrote:
bananahell wrote:
Dracomicron wrote:
bananahell wrote:

I hope you're not referring to the two or three suits of power armor that are size Huge because those are certainly not mecha. I'm talking giant robots you pilot that are hundreds of feet tall. Something like a cross between starships and power armor is what I would expect rules-wise.

Well that is something you should clarify, because "mecha" is a broad term that can mean anything from a humble suit of power armor to the giant robot maid that sucked the atmosphere of Druidia in Spaceballs.

"Mecha" isn't just the robo they trot out to fight Godzilla.

I disagree. Even the wiki articles says, "the term mecha may refer to both scientific ideas and science fiction genres that center on giant robots or machines (mechs) controlled by people."

Either way, mecha isn't power armor; Paizo has already made mention at past conventions that mecha are coming in the future. I just hope they're in this book.

I'm having difficulty seeing the difference between the two if they are meant to be different. If a 60' high Gundam and a 60' high powered armor stood next to each other, what's their distinction? What would make someone say "yeah, that Gundam is clearly a mech and the powered armor clearly isn't." Is it because some of us don't agree with their mechanics? Because their mechanics and what they are intended to model aren't always going to be the same or what you expect.
Well, for starters, a 60ft Power Armor is not anywhere near statted out, and will more than likely be too high of level to give access to a party in a Gundam-esque campaign. Point in case, the Warmaster's Harness is the largest power armor and item level 19. Unless you're going to start introducing Colossal power armor to level 3s, a new ruleset will be needed.

Warmaster's harness is gargantuan, which is 32-64' high, so yes it can be 60' high. Powered Armor, like monsters and other objects, can be any size category, including colossal, nor is the size limited by what level it is, for the most part. Even the highest level armor is only medium, and you can technically have colossal powered armor that's as low as, for example, level 12. The size has nothing to do with the stats they yield, mostly.

In any case, I don't feel like this addresses my point at all, or what powered armor has to do with giving low level parties ridiculously OP items to wear. It doesn't matter if mechs are statted as powered armor, vehicles, or even creatures if giving low level players access to them is a concern to you.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
RiverMesa wrote:

Plus many mecha properties out there have mechs that require more than one crew member (Pacific Rim for instance, which is namedropped in the CRB and was mentioned by Paizo on various occasions), which is not something you can really do with power armor as-is either.

Let's not forget the Megazord or Voltron either. Oh man! A mecha that can break into starfighters? That would be sweet.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sauce987654321 wrote:
I'm having difficulty seeing the difference between the two if they are meant to be different. If a 60' high Gundam and a 60' high powered armor stood next to each other, what's their distinction? What would make someone say "yeah, that Gundam is clearly a mech and the powered armor clearly isn't." Is it because some of us don't agree with their mechanics? Because their mechanics and what they are intended to model aren't always going to be the same or what you expect.

I suppose the difference is one is a suit of armor you wear, that respond perfectly to your movements, and the other is a vehicle with a cockpit that you pilot.

Close to a lack of understanding of what makes a mecha a mecha.

Paizo Employee Starfinder Senior Developer

9 people marked this as a favorite.

While the starship rules (and some of the new options in this book) are conducive to flight-based mech combat, specialized mech rules do not appear in this book.

If folks are interested in discussing what they'd want to see in a hypothetical mech-facing book and/or system, that'd be a great topic for a dedicated thread in Starfinder General Discussion. For now, I recommend keeping this product thread to discussing the Starship Operations Manual.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

At the very least does this book have rules for 5 small ships that combine into one big ship?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:
At the very least does this book have rules for 5 small ships that combine into one big ship?

That's in Pact Worlds.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I can't wait for this one and a vehicle operations manual as well.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I've been wanting to run a starship race campaign a-la the Great Race of Oban. Will this have anything useful for that kind of thing?


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I read "Starship Race" and my brain went to Sentient, Playable Starship

Not Nascar style.

Paizo Employee Starfinder Senior Developer

8 people marked this as a favorite.
Brew Bird wrote:
I've been wanting to run a starship race campaign a-la the Great Race of Oban. Will this have anything useful for that kind of thing?

Starship Operations Manual includes exciting material for telling all sorts of stories that involve starships, and I look forward to sharing preview material a few months from now. For now it's best that I nod knowingly and say "That does sound like a fun idea, doesn't it?"

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

4 people marked this as a favorite.
John Compton wrote:
Brew Bird wrote:
I've been wanting to run a starship race campaign a-la the Great Race of Oban. Will this have anything useful for that kind of thing?
Starship Operations Manual includes exciting material for telling all sorts of stories that involve starships, and I look forward to sharing preview material a few months from now. For now it's best that I nod knowingly and say "That does sound like a fun idea, doesn't it?"

I've been doing a lot of sailing in real life and have been day-dreaming about a Starfinder regatta for solar-sail starships. I've literally not peaked at what is inside the SOM yet, that's just my hope at this point. In real life, non-combat ship roles are important.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Aaron Shanks wrote:
John Compton wrote:
Brew Bird wrote:
I've been wanting to run a starship race campaign a-la the Great Race of Oban. Will this have anything useful for that kind of thing?
Starship Operations Manual includes exciting material for telling all sorts of stories that involve starships, and I look forward to sharing preview material a few months from now. For now it's best that I nod knowingly and say "That does sound like a fun idea, doesn't it?"
I've been doing a lot of sailing in real life and have been day-dreaming about a Starfinder regatta for solar-sail starships. I've literally not peaked at what is inside the SOM yet, that's just my hope at this point.

1000% vibing with this sentiment. Also, the more Treasure Planet in my Starfinder campaigns, the better.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Captain Amelia, Pahtra space captain? check!
Doctor Doppler, Vlaka doctor? check!
Mr. Arrow, Oread first mate? check!
Morph, Prog companion? check!
Scroop, Jinsul antagonist? check!
Space pirates? Double check!

Just need a solar-sail starship.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Toxicsyn wrote:

Captain Amelia, Pahtra space captain? check!

Doctor Doppler, Vlaka doctor? check!
Mr. Arrow, Oread first mate? check!
Morph, Prog companion? check!
Scroop, Jinsul antagonist? check!
Space pirates? Double check!

Just need a solar-sail starship.

There is the Redshift Pleasure Sail from Pact Worlds. Verthani culture seems to still be into old-fashioned starships, seeing as how they were building them before almost anyone else.

So, wouldn’t mind seeing more Vercite-made starships. Them and Sanjaval cruisers are my favorites so far.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm hoping for more atmospheric combat rules

Paizo Employee Webstore Coordinator

6 people marked this as a favorite.

Page updated to show off that beautiful final cover art! :D


Ooo


Earlier today I just visited this page and asked myself if that was the final cover. It seems like it wasn't, and here it is! I liked it.


I'd personally love to see:

More starship frames based on spaceborne creatures, such as the oma & vermelith.

Detailed rules for creating new starship frames as well as customizing existing frames (i.e. adding/removing weapon mounts, adding/removing expansion bay slots, etc.), including rules for creating space stations (because why should Absalom Station, the Idari, and Conquerer's Forge have all the fun?).

New drive systems, including options for drives capable of time travel and inter-dimensional travel.

New rules for starship combat, including tactics such as orbital bombardment.


Really hoping this might also include more options and rules for ground/aquatic/atmospheric vehicles.


John Compton wrote:


Starship Operations Manual includes exciting material for telling all sorts of stories that involve starships, and I look forward to sharing preview material a few months from now.

As a 30+ year, life-long DM/GM, I am super excited about this book... but where is the preview you promised us "in a few months?" It's almost time for the book to come out! All my finger nails have been bitten off already!

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Oh so nice to see cover art!

Hmm


vileangel wrote:
John Compton wrote:


Starship Operations Manual includes exciting material for telling all sorts of stories that involve starships, and I look forward to sharing preview material a few months from now.
As a 30+ year, life-long DM/GM, I am super excited about this book... but where is the preview you promised us "in a few months?" It's almost time for the book to come out! All my finger nails have been bitten off already!

The material was previewed at PaizoCon. Presumably, we'll get more once it's down to a month, but if you'd like to mitigate the nail-biting, the Paizo Twitch channel and YouTube have the PaizoCon recordings.

51 to 100 of 192 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Starfinder Starship Operations Manual All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.