January 2023 Organized Play Scenario Previews

Friday, January 20, 2022

Hello, Starfinders! Welcome to 2023! It’s been an eventful start to the year and now, more than ever, I’m proud to be a part of this community and the Paizo team.

This month we’re diving back into our metaplot when First Seeker Ehu Hadif dispatches a team of brave Starfinders to find and explore a missing colony in the Vast. Abandoned by the Pact Worlds, erased from all official records, and silent for nearly a century—it’s up to you to find the forgotten! Their fate is in your hands.

Starfinder Society Scenario #5-13: Finding the Forgotten is an adventure for 7th- to 10th-level characters written by Kate Baker and Dennis Muldoon.

Enjoy!

Jessica Catalanl
Starfinder Society Developer

two illustrations, on the bottom left a large automaton with the appearance of a snapping turtle and on the upper right, a monstrous, six-legged, green bear with a long blue tongue.

Left to right: Snapping Turtle automaton illustration by Beto Lima and monsterous bear illustration by Blake Davis


Hello, Pathfinders!

First off, happy new year! We hope you enjoyed your holidays!

This month we’re getting back to the Thuvian desert! A group of people have gathered around Star’s dig site, hoping to gain information from them or have Star ally with their organization. However, Aslynn has her eyes (and her spy!) set on taking Star as a new weapon and ally for her nefarious plans. It’s up to the Pathfinders to not only convince Star of their good intentions, but also to protect them when attacked by multiple villains!

Pathfinder Society Scenario #4-08: Battle for Star’s Fate is an adventure for 3rd- to 6th-level characters written by Alex Speidel.

Have fun and we’ll see you next month!

Josh Foster
Pathfinder Society Developer

Shay Snow
Pathfinder Society Developer




But wait, there’s more news! For some reason, orcs seem to have become very popular with our community lately. While we figure out why, we’ve decided to bend to your whims this once.

As of today, the orc ancestry/species is now always available for both Pathfinder and Starfinder Society! Our oracles indicate a striking number of these new adventurers will be trained in Legal Lore or have the Profession (lawyer) skill. Adventure onward!

A half-orc man with dreadlocks and pointed ears, wearing leather armor.

Illustration by Sandra Duchiewicz


Alex Speidel
Organized Play Coordinator

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Organized Play Pathfinder Society Pathfinder Society Scenarios Starfinder Society Starfinder Society Scenarios
Vigilant Seal ** Venture-Agent, Georgia—Atlanta

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I assume "Always Available" means no more boon and its a "Common" option. Correct?

***

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Do I get an AcP refund?

Grand Lodge 1/5 5/55/5 ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I believe that is correct. And, sometimes, if you have a boon already on an Orc character, check the boon to see if it gives a +2 to a starting stat under the condition that it becomes always available.

Manifold Host 4/5 5/55/55/55/5 ***

7 people marked this as a favorite.

Thanks for freeing the orcs, Alex! Those drow manufacturers on Apostae must be suffering from a labor shortage now!

Wayfinders 4/5 5/55/55/55/5 *** Contributor

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Mystical Seeker wrote:
I believe that is correct. And, sometimes, if you have a boon already on an Orc character, check the boon to see if it gives a +2 to a starting stat under the condition that it becomes always available.

That is usually the case with Starfinder ancestries, not Pathfinder ones!

Sovereign Court 1/5 *** Venture-Agent, Indiana—Indianapolis

Awesome!

*

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Wait! Snapping Turtle Automaton? Where do I find one of these cool creations?

Oh and YAY ORCs and Orcs!

Grand Lodge 4/5 5/5

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Turtle Megazord Mode Initiated

2/5 *

Hilary Moon Murphy wrote:
Mystical Seeker wrote:
I believe that is correct. And, sometimes, if you have a boon already on an Orc character, check the boon to see if it gives a +2 to a starting stat under the condition that it becomes always available.
That is usually the case with Starfinder ancestries, not Pathfinder ones!

If i remember the leshy, you had a free raise dead.

Orc can't be killed!

Grand Archive

Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

HUZZAH! The ORCs join the fight!

*

7 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber

I notice it says "the orc ancestry/species is now always available for both Pathfinder and Starfinder Society". Since it just says Pathfinder Society does that mean it's been opened up in PFS1e too? Or is that too much wishful thinking? :)

Grand Lodge 4/5

Huzzah!

Grand Lodge 4/5 * Venture-Agent, Colorado—Denver

5 people marked this as a favorite.

One of my favorite pieces of art on the cover of an old issue of Dragon Magazine was of an Orc Paladin kneeling in full plate armor.

Found it!

I'll have to try playing an orc after all of these decades.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

You can still buy the PDF
Dragon Issue 275

Scarab Sages 1/5

13 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

You should have said the orc ancestry was now perpetually and irrevocably available.

Scarab Sages 2/5 5/55/5

Orctastic!

But also I love Robo-Turtle.

Liberty's Edge 4/5 ** Venture-Agent, California—Los Angeles (South Bay)

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Naarg wrote:
You should have said the orc ancestry was now perpetually and irrevocably available.

I would like to second this motion. (Having served on a board in the past, I did this regularly.)

Honestly, on Golarion, there are many orc cultures. One of my players has a dwarf from the Mwangi Expanse, a place where orcs are respected and I could see his character recruiting an orc from that area into the Pathfinder Society. Meanwhile, the orcs of the Hold of Belkzen are fighting the Whispering Tyrant's forces and seeking allies. Perhaps the Pathfinder Society might be a good place for them to turn. (Hmm, maybe a party of orcs assembled from all over Golarion could be called Orc Force?)

1/5 * RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

I will always celebrate more ancestries and the ORC too.

Grand Lodge 4/5 * Venture-Agent, Colorado—Denver

2 people marked this as a favorite.
MVulpius wrote:
I notice it says "the orc ancestry/species is now always available for both Pathfinder and Starfinder Society". Since it just says Pathfinder Society does that mean it's been opened up in PFS1e too? Or is that too much wishful thinking? :)

It's being looked into.

GM Redalia wrote:

I believe that orc characters are available in PF1 from this announcement. You would have to own a valid source (it looks like they are in Bestiary 1, Advanced Race Guide, and the Monster Codex.) Unfortunately, none of the orc specific options look like they are legal right now.

I'll let you know if we find out otherwise, of course. And I'll ask about some additional options.

Link to above quote.

I sure hope it's allowed for 1e!

**

Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

oh neat! I'll have to try playing an orc now... :)

Grand Lodge 4/5 *** Venture-Captain, California—Sacramento

2 people marked this as a favorite.
roll4initiative wrote:
MVulpius wrote:
I notice it says "the orc ancestry/species is now always available for both Pathfinder and Starfinder Society". Since it just says Pathfinder Society does that mean it's been opened up in PFS1e too? Or is that too much wishful thinking? :)

It's being looked into.

GM Redalia wrote:

I believe that orc characters are available in PF1 from this announcement. You would have to own a valid source (it looks like they are in Bestiary 1, Advanced Race Guide, and the Monster Codex.) Unfortunately, none of the orc specific options look like they are legal right now.

I'll let you know if we find out otherwise, of course. And I'll ask about some additional options.

Link to above quote.

I sure hope it's allowed for 1e!

At the current time this applies only to PFS2 and SFS. Alex says he is looking into what it would take to expand it to PFS1. As mentioned, this is a little more difficult since someone will have to look at *which* of the Orc only options can be opened and which will be disruptive or overpowered or confusingly written.

Sovereign Court 3/5

2 people marked this as a favorite.

::sad trombone::


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Purple Dragon Knight wrote:
::sad trombone::

Keep hope alive,PDK! Maybe they will take care of their 1e crew.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

For PF1, we have the basic stat problem of +4 to Str and -2 to all mental stats for orcs, and no official way to replace those starting stats. Would the folks at Paizo want to use those stats as is, or would they come up with some sort of official update? And are there enough people still playing PF1 in organized play to justify the labor in providing either update? Either way, they would be creating a new document under OGL 1.0a.

Wayfinders 4/5 5/55/55/55/5 *** Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.

There are definitely Pf1 players in the online lodges, and I know that Minnesota and Wisconsin host occasional 1e games as well.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
David knott 242 wrote:


For PF1, we have the basic stat problem of +4 to Str and -2 to all mental stats for orcs, and no official way to replace those starting stats. Would the folks at Paizo want to use those stats as is, or would they come up with some sort of official update? And are there enough people still playing PF1 in organized play to justify the labor in providing either update? Either way, they would be creating a new document under OGL 1.0a.

I rarely play pfs, but even for a pfs character I'd take those stats, even for my orc wizard concept (can't be worse than my 3.5 kobold wizard). :)

The Exchange 3/5 Venture-Agent, Texas—Houston

TriOmegaZero wrote:
Since it just says Pathfinder Society does that mean it's been opened up in PFS1e too?

Does that mean PFS1 Core Campaign, too?

4/5

so tired of my chellish Wizened on the Coals lawyer demanding gold...

Orc at AoN for PF1 (interesting but not a good choice even with 1 free skill rank in Prof(barrister))
+4 Str, –2 Int, –2 Wis, –2 Cha; humanoid(orc); Sz:Med; Speed:30 ft; Darkvision (60ft); Light Sensitivity; Ferocity (stgg'd below 1HP); Wpn Familiarity: proficient with greataxes, falchions, treat any "orc" weapon as martial wpn; Languages: Common and Orc. Orcs with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following languages: Dwarven, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, and Undercommon.

4/5 5/55/55/55/5

4 people marked this as a favorite.

It would be great for the PF1 players to also have this open to them.

Whilst I understand that the heritage has some complexities (rules, balance, etc) I also feel that as PF1 is largely unsupported now and mostly played by the enthusiastic true-believers the impact would be minimal and give them not only something shiny and new, but a bit of a nod that we all still care :)

Grand Lodge 4/5 * Venture-Agent, Colorado—Denver

If us PFS1e players can't get access to the orc race, at least we have half-orc.

2/5 *

I second the question about what happens to those of us that used ACP points on orcs recently?

5/5 5/55/55/5

Gamerskum wrote:
I second the question about what happens to those of us that used ACP points on orcs recently?

For SFS you get a boon where you can raise one stat 14 or lower by +2.

I THINK it counts as a con boon where it doesn[t occupy your personal boon slot, but personal boon slot is almost unavailable so it doesn't matter.

2/5

And one reminder for all the new StarFinder Orcs- in SFS you do not get the attribute bonus from Conditioned Focus

2/5 *

BigNorseWolf wrote:
Gamerskum wrote:
I second the question about what happens to those of us that used ACP points on orcs recently?

For SFS you get a boon where you can raise one stat 14 or lower by +2.

I THINK it counts as a con boon where it doesn[t occupy your personal boon slot, but personal boon slot is almost unavailable so it doesn't matter.

I was more wondering about if anything like that was going to be added to PFS 2.

Dark Archive **

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

Lawyer Orc with legal lore casting Protection From Evil spell, specifically granting the +3 bonus vs. controlling effects.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: January 2023 Organized Play Scenario Previews All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion