The Moar Core Tour

Game Master BretI

A Core PFS campaign that will go from level 1 through level 12, completing all of Season 5 in the process.
Start of The Blakros Matrimony


2,851 to 2,900 of 2,984 << first < prev | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | next > last >>

DM | Blakros Matrimony

FYI – I misread earlier and had Commander Rubaani Shafar’s gender wrong. She is female.

Phinellippa has actually heard a bit about Rubaani. Though the commander can be difficult to engage in conversation, as she has a job to do and is dedicated to ensuring her patrons are kept safe, Phin has heard that Shafar has a soft spot for tales of battle. She can be drawn out of her stoicism if someone regales her with accounts of their past exploits or legends of great battles, heroes, and deeds of valor.

+4 on future checks on Shafar.

You have now succeeded on Discovery checks on everyone. Influence checks, using Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate or Perform are still needed from Iovo, Damiar, Rees and Shieara, and can be made on anyone but Tancred (and Jeon, who is already won over).

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
820-7 | Female CG Elvish Bard 4 (CORE) | HP 30/30 | AC 18, T 14, FF 14 | CMD 18 | F +3 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs Enchantments) | Init +6 | Per +9, SM +9 | Speed 30 ft | Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 0/2 | Active Conditions: None
Wand charges:
CLW 41/50, Burning Hands CL 3rd 4/4, Identify 47/50

Perform (Sing: 1d20 + 9 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 9 + 4 = 23

"Rubaani Shafar?" Damiar asks. "I've heard that you love songs and stories of great battles. We traveled to the world wound where we heard many stories of the Crusades against the demons. I even wrote a song, if you would like to hear it?"

Source: Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas

♫ All those knights are demon fighting,
Chivalrous vows they're plighting
Although the future is a little bit frightening
(little bit frightening)
It's the book of our world that we're writing
(World that we're writing)

A rip in the abyss; life's rough
Demons come to slay
They could tear us all apart
If they just go all the way.
Now what would it take to break?
Prophecy's fled, nothing to portend
Not only do you have to fight,
But you have got to win.

All those knights are Demon fighting,
Chivalrous vows they're plighting
Although the future is a little bit frightening
(little bit frightening)
It's the book of our world that we're writing
(World that we're writing)

You've heard the call
Following Queen Galfrey
Maybe it's just because
We all long to stay free

The journey's a lonely one,
So much more than we know,
But, sometimes you've got to go
Go on and be your own hero.

All those knights are demon fighting (demon fighting)
Chivalrous vows they're plighting
Although the future is a little bit frightening
(little bit frightening)
It's the book of our world that we're writing
(World that we're writing)

A rip in the abyss; life's rough
Demons come to slay
They could tear us all apart
If they just go all the way.
Now what would it take to break?
Prophecy's fled, nothing to portend
Not only do you have to fight,
But you have got to win.

All those knights are Demon fighting,
Chivalrous vows they're plighting
Although the future is a little bit frightening
(little bit frightening)
It's the book of our world that we're writing
(World that we're writing) ♫

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor, Invisible

Aid Perform Sing: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8 I assume the +4 discovery bonus does not apply to attempts to Aid

Iovo moves behind her sister and attempts to provide backup.
♫ Little bit frightening ♫
♫ World that we’re writing ♫

Unfortunately she is not singing quite loud enough to make out over the background noise of the crowd.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP: 24/24 l AC: 17 (15 w/ no armor + Mage Armor), T 11, FF 16 l CMD 16 l F +5, R +2, W +5 l Agile Feet (5/5), Channel Energy (4/4), Strength Surge (5/5), L1: 3/4, L2: 3/3 l Init +5 l Senses: Perception +3
Skills:
Acrobatics +3, Diplomacy +5, Heal +6, Kn. Planes +4, Kn. Religion +6, Sense Motive +8
Female CG Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 3 l Active Conditions: Divine Favor, Mage Armor

While the sisters entertain Commander Shafar Shieara looks around, feeling at a bit of a loss on who to strike up a chat with.

This ain't my sort of crowd at all...

But then her eyes settle on the Blakros matriarch, standing near the wall with a glass in her hand. She watches the woman's eyes scan the crowds and remembers what Damiar had mentioned, feeling a pang of sympathy.

She's worried. Maybe a pep talk'll help...or at least take her mind off things for a minute.

Shieara sidles over to Hamaria, at first choosing to stand for a few moments in what might actually pass for companionable silence. Then she coughs, quietly.

"'Scuse me, Lady Blakros? Um, mah friend Damiar told me you've got a lot on yer mind. Ah'm gonna be honest, this is all really beautiful an' nice an' all but it ain't really, um, mah sort of crowd. Watchin' an' protectin' an' preachin'...that's more what Ah'm comfortable with," the priestess murmurs. She glances over at the noblewoman. "An' no offense, but you standin' over here worryin' an' watchin'...Ah understand why but it don't suit you. Why not go an' enjoy th' party an' leave th' watchin' an' worryin' t' folks like me?"

Diplomacy (Influence): 1d20 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 5 + 4 = 11 Ew, no. I'd like to use my reroll!
Diplomacy (Influence; GM Star Reroll): 1d20 + 5 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 5 + 2 + 4 = 26

*edit* Added the +4 bonus to Influence to both rolls.


DM | Blakros Matrimony

Iovo – I think the +4 would apply to Aid checks as well, as the NPC is just generally more receptive to being swayed.

Shafar begins to shed her serious air as Damiar sings – with backing vocals from Iovo – and the serious-minded captain actually starts to tap her foot and hum along! ”That’s a great song,” she exclaims excitedly, ”I love songs that tell such good stories! I’ve got a few stories of my own – and from my experience, I can tell you all will be good to have around if any trouble happens here at the wedding!” She then launches into a story of fighting off bandits in the River Kingdoms, that goes on at some length and features leaping from one keelboat to another, a smuggled load of goblin fireworks and two, or perhaps three, chickens. Though she still keeps an eye on the party and the important guests, even Damiar finds it hard to get a word in edgewise at this point in the conversation.

She is now completely won over!

Hamaria Blakros, matron of the most powerful family in Absalom, listens politely as Shieara engages her. The Caydenite cleric’s natural warmth of personality, however, proves very compelling, and Hamaria begins to respond in a more genuine fashion. Laying a hand on Shieara’s arm, she replies, ”You are so very kind. There is a great deal on my mind, and it is comforting to know that others are keeping an eye out for anything that might upset this wonderful day for my Michellia. Especially since her twin sister, Eleanir, is not in attendance, as she is off adventuring in northern Garund with several of her cousins.”

That’s two successes, though she’s not completely won over.

Just need a check from Rees, which can be with Nigel Aldain, Alexander Bedard or Hamaria Blakros.

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor, Invisible

Iovo happily listens to Commander Shafar’s story. It isn’t one she had heard before and with some luck she might visit the River Kingdoms again. She is very amused by the part about the goblin fireworks.

Will wait for everyone to complete the first pass.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Elven Ranger 3 [ HP 28/28 (0 NL) | AC 16 Tch 13 FF 13 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +3 | CMD 17 | Init +5 | Perc +9*, low-light vision | Effects: none ]

Rees makes his way over to the Andoran government representative. People's Council, eh? That certainly sounds promising!

"It must be very satisfying and reassuring to know that no one here is armed today," he begins casually. "It's really a sign of how civilized and community-minded the bride and her family are, don't you think?"

Intimidate: 1d20 + 7 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 7 + 4 = 29

So, I figure he's not really trying to be intimidating so much as... being so by virtue of being really socially awkward and saying 'the wrong thing'. I'm not really sure how that helps this guy like us, but uh... given that his Discovery bonus didn't make sense either...


DM | Blakros Matrimony

Bedard’s eyes widen at Rees’ aggressively odd manner – or is it an oddly aggressive manner? – and he stays surprisingly silent for a voluble politician. ”Uh….right,” is all he says. It is clear he does not necessarily agree with what is being said, but that he’s been cowed into going along.

Got him, no more checks needed on Bedard. You guys are nailing these checks!

A moment later, Tancred Desimire enters the pavilion, giving a graceful half-bow to a particularly exalted guest, taking another by the elbow in a gentle manner as if greeting an old friend, and generally moving through the welcome reception with great ease.

Time for another round of influence checks, with Desimire now an option.

Silver Crusade

LG Male Human Paladin of Irori 4 | hp: 39/39 NL: 0 | AC 18 (16 in chain shirt) T 12 FF 16 (12 in chain shirt) | Fort+8 Ref+5 Will +4 (Immune to disease and fear) | Senses: Per -2, SM +2 | Smite +2/+4 (+8), 2/2 | P.A. -2/+4 | CI Glaive: +10/1d10+9, Imp. Unarmed: +10/1d3+6, Bow +7/1d8+3 | Lay on hands 2d6, 2/4

Kleines shrugs at Nigel's less than enthusiastic response to the thought of spending time with his in-laws. "If nothing else, at least it should be a fun party, right?"

Diplomacy, discovery bonus: 1d20 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 10 + 4 = 28

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor, Invisible

After the song and nice chat with Shafar, Iovo decides to go speak with Hamaria Blakros.

Thank you for inviting the Society to this event. I was just visiting with Shafar, she seems well prepared and has everything under control. Even while sharing a story with us, I could tell she was keeping a sharp eye out for an potential problems.

Diplomacy, Discovery: 1d20 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 5 + 4 = 22

Liberty's Edge

HP: 24/24 l AC: 17 (15 w/ no armor + Mage Armor), T 11, FF 16 l CMD 16 l F +5, R +2, W +5 l Agile Feet (5/5), Channel Energy (4/4), Strength Surge (5/5), L1: 3/4, L2: 3/3 l Init +5 l Senses: Perception +3
Skills:
Acrobatics +3, Diplomacy +5, Heal +6, Kn. Planes +4, Kn. Religion +6, Sense Motive +8
Female CG Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 3 l Active Conditions: Divine Favor, Mage Armor

"Aw, not a problem," Shieara smiles at Hamaria and waves as she spots Iovo heading their way. "Part of what we do. An' speakin' of doin', Ah'll leave y'to it an' go make rounds. Enjoy th' party, Lady Blakros!"

As Shieara moves away to allow Iovo to engage the Blakros matriarch in conversation, her eyes are drawn to the arrival of Tancred Desimire and she can't help but smirk slightly.

Fashionably late, ain't that what they call it?

She makes her way over, waiting until she can catch a free moment from the man.

"Nice t'see you again, sir. Ah was startin' t' wonder if you'd fallen behind." Shieara pauses and looks around. "It's a shapin' up t' be a pretty nice party, huh? The Blakros' folks sure now how t' put on a good one! Ah bet your cousin is pretty excited an' all, gettin' t' marry in an' up."

The cleric waits for a moment to hear Tancred's reply, her eyes scanning the goings-on all the while.

"Y'know...Ah understand th' why an' all of some of these marriages but seems t' me there'd be a lot less baggage involved if a person just took up with th' right group an' all. Ah mean, think what y'will of her as a person but seems like it's workin' out pretty good fer that Zarta Dralneen an' all..."

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 8 + 4 = 16


DM | Blakros Matrimony

It’s not clear Nigel shares Kleines’ enthusiasm for the party, but the paladin offers it in such a genuine fashion that the elf can’t help but smile a moment and give an appreciative nod. ”Indeed,” he says, ”I would do well to take what enjoyment I can from it.”

Kleines gets 2 successes on Nigel.

Iovo speaks briefly to Hamaria Blakros, who seems greatly reassured to hear how seriously Commander Shafar is taking her duties. ”You know, another Pathfinder was just reassuring me that I have competent, dedicated people here to be sure nothing goes wrong. I appreciate you saying the same.”

Iovo wins over Hamaria!

Though Shieara’s timing is good, catching Tancred Desimire just as he walks away chuckling from a group of expensively-dressed guests, her approach is a bit heavy-handed. Desimire offers a gracious smile and a nod as Shieara mentions his cousin, but at the incongruous mention of Zarta Dralneen, his smile fades and he says somewhat curtly, ”If you’ll excuse me, I think I see someone just over there with an untied boot-lace, would hate to see them have an accident I could have prevented.” He then strides quickly away.

Shieara fails on Desimire.

Influence checks needed from Rees, Damiar, and Phinellippa. Available NPCs are Aldain and Desimire.

Grand Lodge

M Elven Ranger 3 [ HP 28/28 (0 NL) | AC 16 Tch 13 FF 13 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +3 | CMD 17 | Init +5 | Perc +9*, low-light vision | Effects: none ]

Rees studies the new arrival from a distance, using his elf-ears to listen to the man's conversation as he attempts to determine what this late fellow's motives are.

Sense Motive (vs human): 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 + 2 = 22

Dark Archive

820-7 | Female CG Elvish Bard 4 (CORE) | HP 30/30 | AC 18, T 14, FF 14 | CMD 18 | F +3 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs Enchantments) | Init +6 | Per +9, SM +9 | Speed 30 ft | Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 0/2 | Active Conditions: None
Wand charges:
CLW 41/50, Burning Hands CL 3rd 4/4, Identify 47/50

Waiting for the results of the discovery, to see if there is anything that I can name drop to help with influencing Tancred Desimire, or to let me know what to write a song about.

Grand Lodge

Female TN Gnome Illusionist 3 | HP: 24/30 | AC: 17 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: 0, CMD: 12 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 (+2 vs illusions) | Init: +7 | Perc: +5, SM: +2 | Speed 20ft | Blinding Ray: 7/7 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 | Active conditions: mage armor.

We do know from before that mentioning Zarta Dralneen or his brother Aglorn will set off Tancred.

Phinellippa follows Damiar's lead with Tancred.

Diplomacy to aid: 1d20 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 1 + 4 = 9


DM | Blakros Matrimony

Sorry, the weekend got away from me - parenting adult children can still take up some time, it turns out!

As Phin says, you have already made a successful discovery check against Tancred Desimire, in this post, which is why the table in Google Slides says you have +4 to influence him.

Dark Archive

4 people marked this as a favorite.
820-7 | Female CG Elvish Bard 4 (CORE) | HP 30/30 | AC 18, T 14, FF 14 | CMD 18 | F +3 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs Enchantments) | Init +6 | Per +9, SM +9 | Speed 30 ft | Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 0/2 | Active Conditions: None
Wand charges:
CLW 41/50, Burning Hands CL 3rd 4/4, Identify 47/50

Damiar watches as Shiera discombobulates Tancred with the mention of Zarta. My goodness, someone has a sensitive spot in all this... But now that the Paracountess has been named, it's time to engage in some good old fashioned flattery. Damiar pauses, trying to consider if she can namedrop some of the lesser Chelaxian nobles that Tancred stomped on in his path to the top...

Knowledge Nobility: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

...but she cannot think of any. And it's probably for the best. Tancred Desimire didn't look like a man who looked back on past achievements, his gaze ever forward. Glancing at the fawning toadies surrounding him, all dressed in black, the group of them looked a bit like a court of ravens. How do I flatter him in a way that he hasn't heard before?

Damiar moves forward through the crowd, strumming her instrument. Her dress is emerald green, and her billowing cape blows behind her. She courtesies, and then starts strumming four simple chords. "Damiar, from the Pathfinder Society, here to honor you at your esteemed cousin's wedding."

She waits for his nod, and then begins to play. The song is coy, a guessing game, just the kind that Chelaxians love, because they are a clever and curious people. Too clever and curious for their own good, with their thrice-cursed Queen and contracts of damnation.

Source: Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones

In her pleasing alto she sings...

♫ Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Many enemies I've replaced ♫

She waits for the scattering of laughter, everyone knowing that she cannot possibly be singing about herself. In that laughter is the performer's best gift... the gift of attention.

♫ And I was 'round when Aroden
Left your nation in doubt and pain
Made damn sure the House of Thrune
Signed the words and sealed your fate

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game ♫

And now the startled laughter starts again, because the audience suddenly realizes that Damiar's not singing about Tancred at all... Or maybe she's singing about Tancred while acknowledging a greater power behind him.

♫ I stuck around lovely Egorian
When I saw it was a time for a change
Overthrew King Gaspodor
We all knew he was deranged

I held a pen
Offered fair terms and then
A noble coup was staged
Cheliax rose again!

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
Ah, what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah

I've sought the best
Men like noble Tancred
Of the house of Desimire
Ambitious, without peer ♫

Tancred, delighted to be mentioned at last in this song about the real force of power in Cheliax, grins as his toadies all applaud his mention.

♫ I shouted out
Who this day will seize?
When after all
It is you and me

Let me please introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
Working tirelessly for Cheliax
Squashing flat those who get in our way ♫

More laughter from the Chelaxian contingent, who like to think of themselves on top of the world, with the devil Asmodeus working for them, rather than the other way around.

♫ Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah, get down, baby
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, oh yeah
But what's confusing you
Is just the nature of my game, mm yeah

Just remember Hell's a lawful place
All families choose their fates
You know the rules
Call me Asmodeus
'Cause I'm in need of some restraint

So if you meet me
Have some courtesy
Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse
Or I'll lay your soul to waste, mm yeah

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name, mm yeah
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, mm mean it, get down

Oh yeah, get on down
Oh yeah
Oh yeah
Tell me, who's signed your name?
Tell me, you want glory and fame?
Tell me, lovelies, what's my name?
Fate and contracts are the only game

Oh, right
Talk to Tancred
He knows, he's got the cred
You better follow where he's led ♫

Perform Sing: 1d20 + 9 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 9 + 4 = 19 Dice gods, nooooooooooo!
Perform Sing 5 Star Reroll: 1d20 + 9 + 4 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 9 + 4 + 5 = 36


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DM | Blakros Matrimony

In spite of Phin being slightly off-key as she attempts to sing along, Tancred is completely, utterly bowled over by Damiar’s performance! As she finishes her impromptu song with a fading series of woo-woo’s, nearby guests applaud and even whistle in appreciation – but Tancred is so floored he can only stand smiling in rapt appreciation. ”You do me a great honor,” he says suavely once he’s regained his composure, ”and I hope others here will be singing your song for years to come. If I can be of service to you, in any way, you have but to ask.”

You needed to get three successful checks and that result (including the +2 circumstance bonus I feel honor-bound to grant) gets you five! There’s no extra benefit from getting five, just highlighting how awesome it was.

Nigel is the only NPC who has not been fully won over, and there will be other opportunities to influence later on, so I’m going to move us along. Wall of text incoming!


DM | Blakros Matrimony

After a lovely evening, the musicians play a few mellowing tunes and then cease playing altogether. Hamaria Blakros declares the evening festivities at an end, thanking her guests for attending and promising even greater revels the following morning. With the welcome festivities finished, guests are are directed by Blakros mercenaries to their temporary lodgings for the weekend. Before the Pathfinders get settled in for the night, however, they are visited by Trade Prince Aaqir al’Hakam.

Though not formally on a mission for the Society, the Trade Prince has been watching the Pathfinders’ progress throughout the evening. ”As you are no doubt aware, you have made great inroads in building relations with the many key players present this weekend,” he observes. ”Though these folk may be fickle in their loyalties, as it stands now you have won over all but the elf museum-keeper, Aldain. Focus on him, win him over, and the Society stands to gain much.” With a simple, courteous nod, he takes his leave, adding as he departs, ”Do be on your best behavior for the wedding ceremony tomorrow, I’d hate to see all your efforts tonight undone.”

As everyone prepares to rest, Rees steps outside for a bit of fresh air – and to be sure no one is straying from the ‘community’ of guests on the island. He spots something near the tree line and moves to investigate, and finds Jeon Raeng-Woo resting one hand on a tree and vomiting on its roots – clearly the result of too much drink. The community-minded elf escorts Raeng-Woo back to his cottage, earning the man’s gratitude. Confident that everyone is now safely tucked up where they should be, Rees returns to his companions for a restful night’s sleep.

As the sun rises on the eastern horizon the next morning, representatives of the Blakros family move between the many living quarters erected on the island, gathering guests for the wedding ceremony. A queue of nearly a hundred guests stretches along the winding path through the woods from the guest accommodations to the location of the wedding itself, with each guest arranged in order of rank and prestige.

The procession makes its way approximately a mile to the northwest, ending at an opulent, open-air chapel carved out of cedar and wreathed with colorful flowers and laurel leaves. Atop a high bluff overlooking the Inner Sea, the chapel sets a scene of wealth and beauty few families in the region could afford to build for their child’s wedding. Rows of comfortable pews stand facing the chapel, providing guests in attendance with a view not only of the ceremony and the vista beyond, but also of those other guests who were granted better positions because of their social station.

The Pathfinders are pleased to find they are seated in a spot of relative prestige, in the third row—behind the first row of attending members of the Blakros and Kastner families, and the second row of other honored dignitaries. Guests continue to file into the chapel until all the pews are filled to capacity, at which point a priest of Abadar enters from behind the pews to address those present.

Knowledge (local), DC 15:
You identify the priest as Vroclaw of Brevoy, high priest of Abadar in Absalom’s Ascendant Court and a personal advisor to the city’s primarch, Lord Gyr of House Gixx— further evidence of the Blakroses’ power and influence.

The high priest delivers a long sermon about the duty of nobility in matters political and economic, and heaps praise upon the Blakroses for their contributions to Absalom and the entire Inner Sea region over the centuries. His praise for the groom and his family is noticeably more understated, and while he seems approving of the Hellknights in theory, the speech includes a number of underhanded jabs at Cheliax and those who use law as an excuse to cause pain and suffering in others.
At the conclusion of the sermon, Damian Kastner walks forth from the entryway, garbed in the finest of ceremonial Hellknight armor. To honor the groom, Lictor Toulon Vidoc of the Order of the Scourge rises from the chapel’s second row and delivers his own speech, which consists primarily of recounting of specific operations Kastner oversaw as a field-maralictor, and a list of over two dozen noted criminals from throughout the Inner Sea that he is credited with apprehending or killing.

With much fanfare and adulation, Michellia Blakros proceeds down the aisle, followed by an entourage of doting attendants who maintain her elaborate dress and 6-foot train. The bride takes Kastner’s hands as the Abadaran high priest again takes the pulpit, now espousing the importance of adhering to the contract of marriage and the significance that such a long-lasting agreement holds.

As the sermon draws to an end, Vroclaw of Brevoy looks over the assembled witnesses and asks, “Do any here object to this union, sanctified by the great Judge of the Gods, or know of any reason this contract cannot be entered into by either party?”

A hush overtakes the room, and for a brief moment it seems that everything is all right, until a voice breaks from the crowd. “I do!” The protester is Alexander Bedard. Bedard begins to give an impassioned speech to the guests, most of whom stare at him incredulously: “Be not fools, friends! This is not a marriage of love, and the sacred oath this pair will soon take is but a means to a political end. Michellia Blakros doesn’t love this man, and what the groom feels for his bride seems immaterial to these proceedings. The great nation of Andoran has shown in its short existence that every man or woman should be free, and this wedding spits in the face of that belief. This couple should not be bound to one another over a lie for mere political gain. I, Alexander Bedard of the Andoren People’s Council, protest!”

Bedard sits down after giving his monologue, and confused and angry murmurs begin to erupt from the crowd. Michellia looks irate at the spectacle her wedding has just become, and Kastner maintains a cool face of steely anger.

What will you do? You can try to salvage the situation by adding your own thoughts (allowing one PC to attempt a Diplomacy check to smooth things over with the audience) and help Bedard save face, you can oppose Bedard by voicing a dissenting opinion, you can say nothing – or you can come up with something wacky of your own!

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP: 24/24 l AC: 17 (15 w/ no armor + Mage Armor), T 11, FF 16 l CMD 16 l F +5, R +2, W +5 l Agile Feet (5/5), Channel Energy (4/4), Strength Surge (5/5), L1: 3/4, L2: 3/3 l Init +5 l Senses: Perception +3
Skills:
Acrobatics +3, Diplomacy +5, Heal +6, Kn. Planes +4, Kn. Religion +6, Sense Motive +8
Female CG Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 3 l Active Conditions: Divine Favor, Mage Armor

Even Shieara finds herself rather in awe of the day's proceedings and spends much of the lead-up to the ceremony itself simply looking around and taking everything in.

Well ain't this fancy! Still not really my style, I guess, but...fancy! The Blakros family sure goes all-out.

Kn. Religion (DC 15): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

"Oh hey, that's Vroclaw of Brevoy" Shieara whispers to the others when the priest makes his appearance. "He's some high-falutin' priest of Abadar in Absalom’s Ascendant Court! Ah think he's also personal advisor to th' city’s primarch, Lord Gyr of House Gixx. These folks sure do have connections, huh?"

A bit later, when Bedard makes his objections clear, Shieara studies the man with a puzzled frown. "Either he's makin' an ass of himself or a damn good point, Ah'd wager. But which is it?"

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26


DM | Blakros Matrimony

Shieara can tell that Bedard is quite earnest in his statements about the political, rather than emotional, basis for the wedding, and truly believes this is adequate reason to call it off. He may, however, be the only person present who holds this belief.

Liberty's Edge

HP: 24/24 l AC: 17 (15 w/ no armor + Mage Armor), T 11, FF 16 l CMD 16 l F +5, R +2, W +5 l Agile Feet (5/5), Channel Energy (4/4), Strength Surge (5/5), L1: 3/4, L2: 3/3 l Init +5 l Senses: Perception +3
Skills:
Acrobatics +3, Diplomacy +5, Heal +6, Kn. Planes +4, Kn. Religion +6, Sense Motive +8
Female CG Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 3 l Active Conditions: Divine Favor, Mage Armor

"Well...he's certainly convicted 'bout what he's sayin'," Shieara is quick to point out to her companions. "So least he's not tryin' t' cause a scene fer nothin'!"

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor, Invisible

Kn: Local: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

Iovo enjoys the evening of music and mingling with the other guests. When the music dies, she heads to the accommodations she is assigned. She takes extra care that night with her clothing, making sure to remove any hints of stains or wrinkles with her magic.

She wakes in time to watch the sunrise the next day and is eager to see the wedding. She is somewhat disappointed when she sees that it is a priest of Abadar presiding over the ceremony. When Bedard makes his plea, she seems moved but puzzled. Leaning over to whisper to Shieara, she asks “Does Abadar even care if it is a political marriage? If it were a priest of Shelyn or maybe Erastil I think the complaint would hold. Really not sure with Abadar...

The whisper is loud enough that others can overhear it. Hopefully it isn’t so loud as to disturb the front row.

If someone does intervene or the situation starts going sour:

Aid Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Iovo speaks up. “As it is Abadar rather than Shelyn that was selected to oversee this marriage, I believe the couple have chosen what is important to them. I say if this is the type of union the bride and groom dreamed of, it should be celebrated! Not everyone has the same dreams!

Note Iovo does wear a butterfly clasp, Desna’s symbol.

Silver Crusade

LG Male Human Paladin of Irori 4 | hp: 39/39 NL: 0 | AC 18 (16 in chain shirt) T 12 FF 16 (12 in chain shirt) | Fort+8 Ref+5 Will +4 (Immune to disease and fear) | Senses: Per -2, SM +2 | Smite +2/+4 (+8), 2/2 | P.A. -2/+4 | CI Glaive: +10/1d10+9, Imp. Unarmed: +10/1d3+6, Bow +7/1d8+3 | Lay on hands 2d6, 2/4

Kleines sighs, looks around, and stands. "Who are you to judge the choices others make for themselves? Who are you to judge their love as true or false? Each must follow their own path to enlightenment."

Diplomacy if needed:
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor, Invisible

From spoiler, was a successful Aid to Diplomacy

Iovo stands and speaks up as well. “As it is Abadar rather than Shelyn that was selected to oversee this marriage, I believe the couple have chosen what is important to them. I say if this is the type of union the bride and groom dreamed of, it should be celebrated!

Not everyone has the same dreams!” As she says this, she touches her butterfly clasp. She then sits back down.


DM | Blakros Matrimony

Bedard turns to glare fiercely at Kleines and Iovo, his erstwhile Pathfinder Society friends now speaking against him! Not only that, but he’s hearing opposition from adherents of Irori and Desna both! He sits and stares ahead in stony silence, as the other guests carefully avoid making any eye contact with him. A few quiet chuckles and whispers can be heard, along the lines of, ”What did he think the marriage was about?”

Once the situation runs its course, the crowd eventually calms down, and Vroclaw of Brevoy continues. The bride and groom are married, and the audience erupts in cheers of congratulations. Soon after the two are joined, mercenary guards escort the guests back to the pavilion for the reception.

The reception is even grander than the previous evening’s welcome party, with various elaborate entertainments, glorious food and drink, and ample opportunity to mingle with the powerful of Absalom and beyond.

You have now lost all influence with Bedard, and take a -4 on future checks to influence him. Now that you’re at the reception, you have a chance to complete your wooing of Nigel Aldain. Info on how best to influence him can be found in this post.

Liberty's Edge

HP: 24/24 l AC: 17 (15 w/ no armor + Mage Armor), T 11, FF 16 l CMD 16 l F +5, R +2, W +5 l Agile Feet (5/5), Channel Energy (4/4), Strength Surge (5/5), L1: 3/4, L2: 3/3 l Init +5 l Senses: Perception +3
Skills:
Acrobatics +3, Diplomacy +5, Heal +6, Kn. Planes +4, Kn. Religion +6, Sense Motive +8
Female CG Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 3 l Active Conditions: Divine Favor, Mage Armor

"Well, that was a thing," Shieara murmurs to the group as things are smoothed over - mostly - and the wedding concludes. "Did y'see old Bedard givin' us th' stink-eye? Let's hope he don't hold a grudge fer too long!"

When it finally comes time to head to the reception, Shieara visibly relaxes as she looks around. "Heh, now it's a little more like my kinda party! Still fancy but at least there's music an' dancin' and such."

"Ain't that right, Mister Aldain?" Shie adds, giving the elf a playful nudge with her elbow. "Do you an' your wife like t' dance? Man, if your weddin' was anythin' like this one Ah bet y'all danced 'till th' sun came up!"

She gives the elf a smile. "Good times, huh? Especially since Ah know th' Blakros family don't let just anybody into th' family. An' now you have th' museum, too! Ah bet they really like you, even if they don't show it, uh...as plainly as most folks."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 5 + 4 = 12

It's meant to be a genuine reassurance but Shieara immediately gets the feeling that she's been, once again, a little too 'on the nose' for the society-man's sensibilities.

All this trying to be subtle and delicate is for the birds! People ought to just say what they mean and mean what they say.

Grand Lodge

M Elven Ranger 3 [ HP 28/28 (0 NL) | AC 16 Tch 13 FF 13 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +3 | CMD 17 | Init +5 | Perc +9*, low-light vision | Effects: none ]

Rees frowns at the interruption to the ceremony, and moves to speak with Bedard once the ceremony has ended. Pulling the man aside to at least prevent others from becoming upset, he begins, "That was not well done. I hope that you will think hard about the effect that your actions have had upon this community, and upon the bride, your former friend. You should apologize to her and to the entire group."

Intimidate:
Intimidate: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 7 - 4 = 14

Don't suppose anyone wants to aid?

Grand Lodge

Female TN Gnome Illusionist 3 | HP: 24/30 | AC: 17 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: 0, CMD: 12 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 (+2 vs illusions) | Init: +7 | Perc: +5, SM: +2 | Speed 20ft | Blinding Ray: 7/7 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 | Active conditions: mage armor.

Phinellippa tries to help out with Aldain.

Diplomacy to aid: 1d20 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 1 + 4 = 11

"It was a lovely wedding! Was yours like this?"


DM | Blakros Matrimony

Aldain and Bedard, though separated by a throng of guests, manage to scoff in unison at the Pathfinders' efforts to win them over.

You might win Bedard back with successful aid checks, or could get either of them with a solid roll by someone else. There's just one Influence check in this moment, so waiting on Damiar and Iovo's checks.

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor, Invisible

Nigel or Bedard? Bedard reacted as if I had betrayed him when that wasn’t what I meant. I hate to leave it on such a sour note. On the other hand, Nigel seems to have warmed to us.

I doubt I can change Bedard’s opinion on my own, guess I will go chat up Nigel.

Iovo overhears Phin talking with Nigel and joins in the conversation. “Yes, Nigel, please tell us a little of yourself. It would be nice to know more of the person in charge of the museum.

Have you had any exhibits of Elven culture? Which of the exhibits have you personally found the most interesting and why?

Diplomacy, Discovery, Phin’s Aid: 1d20 + 5 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 5 + 4 + 2 = 19 Using GM reroll
Diplomacy, Discovery, Phin’s Aid, GM Stars: 1d20 + 5 + 4 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 5 + 4 + 2 + 4 = 30

Silver Crusade

LG Male Human Paladin of Irori 4 | hp: 39/39 NL: 0 | AC 18 (16 in chain shirt) T 12 FF 16 (12 in chain shirt) | Fort+8 Ref+5 Will +4 (Immune to disease and fear) | Senses: Per -2, SM +2 | Smite +2/+4 (+8), 2/2 | P.A. -2/+4 | CI Glaive: +10/1d10+9, Imp. Unarmed: +10/1d3+6, Bow +7/1d8+3 | Lay on hands 2d6, 2/4

Kleines, seeing how upset Bedard is, tries to make peace with the man. "I wish you to know that I meant you know disrespect, sir. Perhaps my words were not as well chosen in that moment as they could have been. I'm sure you were speaking from a place of care."

Diplomacy to influence Bedard, he hates us: 1d20 + 10 - 4 ⇒ (6) + 10 - 4 = 12
Diplomacy to influence Bedard, he hates us, GM Stars: 1d20 + 10 - 4 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 10 - 4 + 5 = 19


DM | Blakros Matrimony

Oops, I left Kleines off the checks still remaining – thanks for posting anyway, Dennis.

Iovo manages to find a topic of great interest to Nigel – the Blakros Museum – and the elf speaks rather pompously and at some length about how the Museum (he does seem to pronounce it with a capital ‘M’) has accomplished more than the Pathfinder Society under the stringent rules of the Decemvirate. Still, in his odd, stand-offish way, Nigel does seem to warm to Iovo quite a bit.

Kleines, meanwhile, manages to make some progress restoring the relationship with Bedard, who replies, ”Indeed, I did not feel like I had the backing of the Society in making my point. But I appreciate what you say, I did speak out of a deeply-held conviction and felt I must be heard.”

Table of influence updated. Waiting on an Influence check from Damiar – Bedard could use a little more convincing, everyone else loves you guys.

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor, Invisible

Smiling brightly, Iovo says “I think it is wonderful that there is such a Museum in Absalom. Your contributions are certainly worthy of praise.” She also attempts to pronounce museum with a capitol M and is heartfelt in her praise.

Brushing her butterfly clasp, she admits “I like the Society for the amount of travel we get to do!


DM | Blakros Matrimony

Think I’ll keep us going, since there are more influence checks inbound.

The Pathfinders hear a call for the assembled guests to be seated, and are directed to a table along with lady Gloriana Morilla, Trade Prince Aaqir al’Hakam, and a group of their aides. The Paracountess sits at a different table with a detachment of Chelish dignitaries, including Tancred Desimire, who seems perturbed at having to share a table with her.

After the guests are all seated, the head table arrives—a delegation of Blakros family members and important relatives, including Michellia, Damian, and Hamaria Blakros. A plethora of speeches and congratulations begin from the head table, beginning with Hamaria, who dotes on her daughter’s excellent pedigree and the respect shown to her family by Damian Kastner. Others at the head table give similar speeches, expanding on their love for Michellia and their acceptance of Damian into the extended Blakros family. Eventually, Michellia Blakros stands to make her own proclamation. Although quiet in tone, she speaks with a force that all can hear.

“I wish to thank you all for coming. While the Hellknights of the Order of the Scourge have lost a loyal and noble soldier, the Blakroses have gained a new member of our esteemed clan— my husband, Damian Kastner. As a symbol of this union, I offer you, Damian, the Blakros name, so that you will ever be known as a member of our elite, illustrious family. Let it be known forever more that your name shall be Damian Blakros, should you accept the honor.”

The groom then stands and speaks himself, raising his glass toward Hamaria and the rest of new family. “I, of course, accept this honor, and am proud to know my children shall bear the name as well. I am not good with words, however, so I shall keep this brief. There are few gifts I could give in response that would parallel the honor I have just received. Even so, I shall offer something that my new family will hopefully find valuable. To my wife, Michellia Blakros, I offer my family’s long-held manor of Ostergarde.”

Damian’s announcement causes an immediate commotion from the crowd. Audible whispers and speech drown the pavilion, as assembled guests show mixes of horror and satisfaction at the proclamation made by the former Hellknight. Among other reactions, Lady Gloriana Morilla is visibly surprised by the announcement, and Tancred Desimire departs in a seeming panic shortly after Damian’s announcement of the dowry.

Knowledge (history or nobility), DC 20:
You recall that Ostergarde Manor is an abandoned site in the Chelish mountains, where diabolists once conducted secret rituals long before the death of Aroden and the rise of House Thrune. The historical significance of this location can’t be overestimated, and the Blakros family will surely have many new, diabolical artifacts to display in their museum.

Time for a last round of influence checks, with only Bedard left to win over.

Liberty's Edge

HP: 24/24 l AC: 17 (15 w/ no armor + Mage Armor), T 11, FF 16 l CMD 16 l F +5, R +2, W +5 l Agile Feet (5/5), Channel Energy (4/4), Strength Surge (5/5), L1: 3/4, L2: 3/3 l Init +5 l Senses: Perception +3
Skills:
Acrobatics +3, Diplomacy +5, Heal +6, Kn. Planes +4, Kn. Religion +6, Sense Motive +8
Female CG Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 3 l Active Conditions: Divine Favor, Mage Armor

"Uhm...dunno what th' hubub's about but Ah can guess it may or may not be good, dependin' on who ya ask, huh?" Shieara remarks to her companions as the crowd proves visibly shook by the announcement.

Noticing that Bedard looks to be seated at a table close by, Shieara leans in and taps on his arm to get his attention.

"So, is this th' sorta thing you were carryin' on about earlier?"

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 - 4 ⇒ (1) + 8 - 4 = 5
______________

Decided to go for extremely blunt and maybe even a little unintentionally rude given that Natural 1...

Grand Lodge

Female TN Gnome Illusionist 3 | HP: 24/30 | AC: 17 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: 0, CMD: 12 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 (+2 vs illusions) | Init: +7 | Perc: +5, SM: +2 | Speed 20ft | Blinding Ray: 7/7 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 | Active conditions: mage armor.

Knowledge (either): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Phinellippa whispers to her companions. "Ostergarde Manor is an abandoned site in the Chelish mountains, where diabolists once conducted secret rituals long before the death of Aroden and the rise of House Thrune. The historical significance of this location can’t be overestimated, and the Blakros family will surely have many new, diabolical artifacts to display in their museum."

Grand Lodge

Female TN Gnome Illusionist 3 | HP: 24/30 | AC: 17 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: 0, CMD: 12 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 (+2 vs illusions) | Init: +7 | Perc: +5, SM: +2 | Speed 20ft | Blinding Ray: 7/7 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 | Active conditions: mage armor.

"This is a very elegant event, isn't it?" says Phinellippa to Bedard. "Gnome weddings are very different."

Diplomacy to aid: 1d20 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (10) + 1 - 4 = 7

Liberty's Edge

HP: 24/24 l AC: 17 (15 w/ no armor + Mage Armor), T 11, FF 16 l CMD 16 l F +5, R +2, W +5 l Agile Feet (5/5), Channel Energy (4/4), Strength Surge (5/5), L1: 3/4, L2: 3/3 l Init +5 l Senses: Perception +3
Skills:
Acrobatics +3, Diplomacy +5, Heal +6, Kn. Planes +4, Kn. Religion +6, Sense Motive +8
Female CG Human Cleric of Cayden Cailean 3 l Active Conditions: Divine Favor, Mage Armor

Whoops, should've made that a Diplomacy check instead of Sense Motive but it's still abject failure either way!

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor, Invisible

Iovo nods in appreciation at Phinellippa explains what all the fuss is about some manor. I wonder if it really is unused. Tancred certainly reacted badly to it.

While most others are gossiping about Ostergarde Manor, Iovo leans over to Bedard and says “By the way, I wanted to tell you that I really respect your wanting a wedding to be about love. I think that is a much better dream than power, wealth, or other such things. That said, I also believe a person has to find what dream is right for them to chase. Keep in mind that dreams can change over time.

I know love is important to me, but so would a curiosity about the world and wanting to explore more of it.

Aid Diplo, he isn’t in the mood: 1d20 + 5 - 4 ⇒ (17) + 5 - 4 = 18

Silver Crusade

LG Male Human Paladin of Irori 4 | hp: 39/39 NL: 0 | AC 18 (16 in chain shirt) T 12 FF 16 (12 in chain shirt) | Fort+8 Ref+5 Will +4 (Immune to disease and fear) | Senses: Per -2, SM +2 | Smite +2/+4 (+8), 2/2 | P.A. -2/+4 | CI Glaive: +10/1d10+9, Imp. Unarmed: +10/1d3+6, Bow +7/1d8+3 | Lay on hands 2d6, 2/4

Kleines continues trying to smooth things over with Bedard, grateful for Iovo's efforts. "Who knows? Perhaps you've planted a seed that will lead to changes in the future?"

Diplo, he's grumpy, Iovo's aid: 1d20 + 10 - 4 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 10 - 4 + 2 = 13 Welp.


DM | Blakros Matrimony

Okay, I don’t think you’re going to get Bedard back, and I think it doesn’t matter mechanically, so I’m going to skip y’all doing another round of influence checks. If anyone has issue with that, go ahead and roll one in your next post and I’ll work it in.

Bedard scoffs once again, this time at Iovo and Kleines (he doesn’t even bother to scoff at Phin), replying, ”Ha! After what you said before, I don’t think even you believe what you’re saying!”

As Bedard storms away, Damian Blakros – née Kastner – approaches the party with a rather concerned look on his face. ”Would you mind joining me privately for a moment,” he asks, gesturing to a quiet alcove off the reception hall. Once out of earshot of the rest of the guests, Damian says, ”I am sorry to ask this, but I need your help. I am a bit worried about Michellia – she seems to have disappeared. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, but I would appreciate if you’d check up on her. I expect she took off toward the site of her old summer home, which is on a cliff on the southwest side of the island. Would you mind going to take a look?”

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor, Invisible

I expect Damiar will want her shot at Bedard.

Perplexed, Iovo tells Bedard “I said the same thi...” She sputters to a stop, realizing that he has stomped away. Well, he isn’t a very good listener!

When Damian comes asking for their time, Iovo follows along.

She gives a perplexed look at Damian’s request. “She was just here, she couldn’t have gone far.” Then she nods, adding “We will find her and make sure she is alright.
Sense Motive, How concerned is Damian for her?: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Dark Archive

820-7 | Female CG Elvish Bard 4 (CORE) | HP 30/30 | AC 18, T 14, FF 14 | CMD 18 | F +3 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs Enchantments) | Init +6 | Per +9, SM +9 | Speed 30 ft | Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 0/2 | Active Conditions: None
Wand charges:
CLW 41/50, Burning Hands CL 3rd 4/4, Identify 47/50

Coming in again. We had two times we could influence Bedard, right? Rolling them now.

First time, after Kleines' attempt:

Damiar stands next to Bedard, trying to help Kleines's apology. "It must be hard to be in love with someone, and then watch that person go to someone who you think does not value them. I cannot imagine how much that hurt."

Diplomacy Aid Kleines: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

Knowledge Nobility: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
This human property stuff... It's a good thing that Phin gets it, because it's damn confusing to elves.

Second time, after announcement
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

"As an elf, I totally don't get marriages that are about property. But I know that it can be a big thing for human aristocrats. To them, often, family approval will come before any personal feeling. I know how much this hurts, and I want to apologize if I or my colleagues made you feel that your feelings were marginalized." Damiar sighs. "To be honest, Michellia is having to balance TWO loves here. One is the love and honor she wants to offer her family, by making the political match. The other is her personal feelings. I would not choose property and propriety over love. My culture values individual choice. But because elves value individual choice so much, I cannot censure Michellia for making this choice either. It was her choice, and she will have to live with it."

Damiar offers a hand to Bedard. "Do I think it's a mistake? Perhaps. But I'm not standing in Michellia's shoes, and not burdened by the same sorts of familial duties she is. Perhaps she will find love in this marriage later. Or perhaps she will always regret this moment. All I know is that this is her choice, her moment, and I have to honor that."

"Do you need to cry? Or to talk? Even if it's not now... Even if it's later, I hope that we can help."

Dark Archive

820-7 | Female CG Elvish Bard 4 (CORE) | HP 30/30 | AC 18, T 14, FF 14 | CMD 18 | F +3 R +9 W +5 (+2 vs Enchantments) | Init +6 | Per +9, SM +9 | Speed 30 ft | Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 0/2 | Active Conditions: None
Wand charges:
CLW 41/50, Burning Hands CL 3rd 4/4, Identify 47/50

Alright, back in the present moment.

DM Khel wrote:

Okay, I don’t think you’re going to get Bedard back, and I think it doesn’t matter mechanically, so I’m going to skip y’all doing another round of influence checks. If anyone has issue with that, go ahead and roll one in your next post and I’ll work it in.

Bedard scoffs once again, this time at Iovo and Kleines (he doesn’t even bother to scoff at Phin), replying, ”Ha! After what you said before, I don’t think even you believe what you’re saying!”

As Bedard storms away, Damian Blakros – née Kastner – approaches the party with a rather concerned look on his face. ”Would you mind joining me privately for a moment,” he asks, gesturing to a quiet alcove off the reception hall. Once out of earshot of the rest of the guests, Damian says, ”I am sorry to ask this, but I need your help. I am a bit worried about Michellia – she seems to have disappeared. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, but I would appreciate if you’d check up on her. I expect she took off toward the site of her old summer home, which is on a cliff on the southwest side of the island. Would you mind going to take a look?”

Michellia disappeared? Interesting.

Damiar nods. "Weddings always bring up difficult feelings. We'll be happy to go look there."

Sense Motive, Damien: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18

Out of Damien's ear shot, Damiar asks. "Did Bedard also go to the Southwest? Maybe Michellia had second thoughts after hearing his speech."

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor, Invisible

When we get close to the ruins of the house, maybe it would make sense for me to sneak ahead and see what is happening. I could keep in contact with the rest of you using my magic.


DM | Blakros Matrimony

Retcon moment:

Even with Damiar’s help, Kleines is not able to sway Bedard’s view of the Pathfinders. When Damiar has a quieter, more thoughtful conversation with the Andoran, however, she finds him much more receptive. He listens intently, nodding along as Damiar speaks. It’s clear he’s got quite a bit of emotion wrapped up in this, suggesting he truly cares for Michellia, even loves her. ”It’s funny how getting a totally different perspective can really help you reframe your own,” he offers after a long, pensive moment. ”As much as I might wish it otherwise, you are right, Michellia is making a choice based on what she loves, even if it’s not a choice made solely out of love for her husband. Thank you for helping me see that.”

You’ve got Bedard back – the influence matrix is showing greens across the board!


DM | Blakros Matrimony

Damiar – you asked in your post which direction Bedard went. Bedard is still at the reception, Tancred Desimire is the person who left in a hurry.

Though it may be difficult for the elven twins to read the emotions of a human Hellknight, they believe him to be genuine in his concern for his new bride. When he senses their scrutiny of him, he offers, ”You may wonder why I do not go myself to look for her. I’ll confide in you that her mother, Hamaria Blakros, is watching me like a hawk to see what kind of impression I’m making on the guests. As much as it pains me to say it, I’d rather not earn her ire so early in the relationship by disappearing from the reception.”

Assuming that is enough justification for you to go look for Michellia:

The Pathfinders set out from the reception hall to sort out where Michellia has gotten off to and, arriving at the ruined summer house, they find nothing but its decaying frame and the sound of surf below the cliffs.

Survival, DC 15:
There are tracks in the sandy soil, that might have been made by a humanoid of small frame – perhaps a human woman in size? – who was dragging what appears to be a body. The tracks lead to a path down from the cliff to the Blakroses’ private beach below.

Dark Archive

F Elven Rogue 2 / Wizard 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 17 Tch 13 FF 14 | F +3 R +7 W +4; +2 vs Enchantments | 19/20 ci arrows | Magic Sticks: 24/50 CLW 36/50 Mage Armor 49/50 Magic Missle | Diviner’s Fortune 7/7 | Init +8 Perception +9; +1 vs traps | Reroll 0/1 | Conditions: Mage Armor, Invisible

Sounds like you have the more dangerous task.” Iovo jests. Then in a gentle but serious tone, she adds “Don’t worry, we will find her and make sure she is safe.

——

When she gets to the ruined summer house, Iovo looks around and is surprised to not find Michellia. She does find some tracks in the sand.
Survival, untrained: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (19) + 0 = 19

Looking down, she calls out “These tracks look ominous! Rees, what do you think?

Yeah, I made the roll. Still would call the person actually trained in it for their opinion.

Grand Lodge

Female TN Gnome Illusionist 3 | HP: 24/30 | AC: 17 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: 0, CMD: 12 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +5 (+2 vs illusions) | Init: +7 | Perc: +5, SM: +2 | Speed 20ft | Blinding Ray: 7/7 | Spells: 1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 | Active conditions: mage armor.

"Hmm, this is awfully suspicious. It may be more a matter of business than romance, but what bride would disappear in the middle of the reception? CoCo, can you do a little aerial reconnaissance?"

CoCo will around overhead, looking for the bride, who has some impressive shinies.

2,851 to 2,900 of 2,984 << first < prev | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Moar Core Tour All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.