1. GM Edwin's Zeitgeist Campaign

Game Master Insnare

When the people and King of Risur have internal or external enemies but won't or can't call in the military... They Call in the RHC(Royal Homeland Constabulary)

Act 1: The Investigation Begins!
Chapter 1: The Island at the Axis of the World
Chapter 2: The Dying Skyseer
Chapter 3: Digging for Lies
Chapter 4: Always on Time
Chapter 5: Cauldron Born
RHC HQ
FLINT CITY
Zeigeist World Map
Avery Coast Train
Lantern

Act 2: The Grand Design

Chapter 6: Revelations From the Mouth of a Mad Man


9,351 to 9,400 of 9,789 << first < prev | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | next > last >>

Shot Putter Funkmeister

The King nods and says, "Constable Grimtooth and Skipwith-Darling, what do you think?"


Shot Putter Funkmeister

He chuckles to himself and says, "Now, you two can see what I have to deal with all of the time. Difficult decisions..."

The train passes the outskirts. The people of Flint line the train tracks, cheering and applauding for the heroes that drove away the monster that attacked their city. As the party chugs close enough to be clearly viewed by the citizens, the king stands, draws his sword, and asks the party to kneel. Then, with just a simple proclamation that no one will ever hear but them, he touches his sword to their shoulders and grants them each a knighthood. The crowd grows quiet at the scene, and then Aodhan tells them to stand, and the applause can be heard across the city.

In addition to your classes level ups, the king has imparted upon you a knighthood, which grants you 1 level of Aristocrat. Basically another d8 for HP and 4 skill points. You can choose to to put Sir or Dame in your name.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Oracle 9/Aristocrat 1 AC 18 hp max 78 +8 init, +16 perc, F+4, R +5, W +7

Majesty I think that the people should be rules with truth where possible and as much as possible but that the good of the nation and of the people must come first. If you feel that means war and taking down the travesty of a ruler then that is what it is Ragnor says sas the crowds cheer and the train returns


Panoply HP 47/47; AC 15/14/11; Saves 4/5/7; Init +3; Perc +10; Sense Motive +2

"My King!" Femi reacts with surprise as the Lord of the land bestows some of it upon his shoulders. He has difficulty maintaining a breath in his lungs as he grasps the moment, not wanting it to end.

He stands a little taller afterward, and makes promises to himself to avoid vices, though those will be hard to keep. Laughing eventually, bursting, he joins the crowds in their adulation of their King.

He's just not sure how he's going to write this in the official report.

(For the skills and HP, do we add the usual stuff? Con bonus for HP and Int bonus for skills? Or is it just a flat d8 and +4 skills? Happy either way, just want to make sure I'm doing this right.)


AC 22, T 16, FF 17 hp 84/85 Female human aristocrat 1/slayer (bounty hunter) 9 Init +7; Senses Perception +12 | Fort +10, Ref +14, Will +7

"I think that we shouldn't damn the country for what the leaders are doing. They are the leaders however, and should no must be held responsible in some way for what they did here to Flint. Let those on the ship be heroes, and let us search out proof of whom in the monarchy needs to be cut from the limb as Femi so colorfully pointed out.


Shot Putter Funkmeister

The King nods and says, "Well, this war will have to be a covert war for now between us and the Obscurati."

Tha Danoran Captain Taylor and her crew disembark from their ship and are welcomed with cheers and applause as well.

The king says to your group, "Savor this victory because tomorrow we go back to work."

Your prestige with Risur and Flint goes up by 1 as well as your prestige with the Unseen Court and the Family.


Panoply HP 47/47; AC 15/14/11; Saves 4/5/7; Init +3; Perc +10; Sense Motive +2

"Very good my Lord. Until tomorrow then."

He bows until the King has left. He gathers his kit and heads out into town, grinning widely from ear to ear. Sir Femi! He can scarcely believe it.

First thing, he obtains the items he needs for his next assignment. He's impressed and pleased at the quality of the materials, but then again they are magical. So it's to be expected. Still, it's a finery to which he is unaccustomed. He revels in it.

That night he celebrates with a pub crawl. He drinks sparingly at each location, but he visits as many public houses as he can before midnight - his self appointed curfew. After all, he was not going to fail the King now. Not in his moment of triumph.

He sleeps soundly as you may imagine and is a little bleary eyed when he first wakes but, quite a bit of coffee later, he reports on time and in ship shape - ready to work!

Before he leaves for the office, he casts Detect Scrying and Mage Armor - his usual morning ritual.


Tiefling map Armiger (Machinehead) 9/ Aristocrat 1 // AC 26/22/15 / HP 74/84 / F +10 R +11 W +9 / Init. +3 / Perc. +15 / Sense Motive +13

Cretien retreats immediately to his office. The recent battle in the factory and subsequent golem fight had taught him many things in such a short period, and he had scarce enough time to apply his newfound knowledge. He makes a special large order of Cippriano coffee and an inordinate amount of pastries to be delivered to his workshop where many strange sounds can be heard, including Cretien's occasional pained groans.


Shot Putter Funkmeister

Act 2: The Grand Design

Chapter VI: Revelations From the Mouth of a Mad Man

1st of Summer 501 AV(After Victory)

More than two months have passed since the colossus rampaged through Flint. The RHC headquarters has had its security dramatically increased, and the party and other constables have been busy chasing leads and wrecking various Obscurati plots throughout Risur.

All of them have been fairly minor, for example, miners paid to smuggle adamant, druids using magic to keep local fey content and out of the real world, glaziers hired to craft replicas of the wayfarer’s lantern (see Adventure Four), a collection of scholars recruited to collate every scrap of information on the fey titans, and so on.

Most groups were fairly forthcoming once word got out that the conspiracy gave its low-ranking members rings engraved with particular patterns as a means of identifying them. People who had no idea the Ob existed offered to help investigate, and the patriotic spirit is high after the catastrophe in Flint.

Of course a few groups were leaning in opposition to Risur, such as cells of erudite soldiers preparing to take over from their more traditional commanders. But enough people were shocked at news of the colossus that they ratted out their allies, rather than be part of some group hostile to their homeland.

Feel free to summarize, what you have been doing for the past two months

You come into the office early and you start perusing the newspaper:

Colossus. The world reacts to news of the colossus attack in Flint. Archmissionary Cornelius Eboracum of the Clergy offers exorcism aid for evil spirits unleashed from Cauldron Hill. The Drakran military has ordered the production of extremely massive cannons to repel the colossus if it should make it to their shores. Beran peasants report local nature spirits wreaking havoc and mysterious massive footprints tracing a path from the Anthras Mountains toward Seobriga. The sovereign of Danor continues to express hope for peace with Risur, but in light of widespread accusations that his nation is to blame acknowledges that negotiations are indefinitely delayed.

Curses. Cauldron Hill has been interdicted by the Risuri military. The side of the mountain is in flux, sometimes showing a hole that leads to the Bleak Gate, sometimes solid rock. Soldiers have been equipped with magical weapons from the nation’s vaults to combat spectral monsters that emerge each night.

Sedition. Sparse reports come from Danor of university students filing formal petitions against the government and even talking of repeating the riots of a generation ago. These protests come in response to a crackdown on broadsheet journalism. The leadership in Cherage has forbidden publication of conspiracy theories that link Danor to the colossus in Risur, and several writers have been thrown into oubliettes for undermining the sovereign’s denials.

Shipwrights. The city of Shale, once governed by the king’s sister Ethelyn, has ordered a rapid increase in ship construction in preparation for possible war with Danor. Heightened logging activities throughout Risur have been stymied by fey activity. The city of Bole is suffering an encroachment of trees, which have been walking into the streets when people aren’t looking.

Sibilance. Colonists in Elfaivar talk of eerie whispers in the woods. Near the Sharavathi Falls, a site claimed to be sacred to the fallen eladrin empire, several caravans have disappeared except for a single survivor each. All have reported their compatriots vanishing, hearing only whispers and seeing only foot prints of mighty jungle cats.

In the classified ads section of your broadsheet an official envelope shakes out of each of your newspapers from the desk of the Chief Inspector, it reads, Constables, now that you have read through the news, report to my office on the second floor at 0800, Delft.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Panoply HP 47/47; AC 15/14/11; Saves 4/5/7; Init +3; Perc +10; Sense Motive +2

Femi is so excited to be back at work, the time flies before he knows it. He has a few long term projects to be sure - one or two magic items he’s in the middle of crafting, reading an obnoxiously large tome on the art of summoning, that sort of thing. But they all seem to fall by the wayside a bit as he delves into his job.

Day in and day out he’s at his desk, traversing the city, even occasionally heading into the countryside to follow some lead or other. Though the crimes have been minor, he attacks each with vigor, searching just in case the threads lead to larger game. He does not grow frustrated at the lack of big fish, but rather enjoys the fact. Apparently they threw all they had in their last attack, and were thwarted. It will take them some time to regroup.

He hopes the King and other higher ups are making their moves as well.

He comes in that day ready to work as the others. He reads the last days news wondering which of the troubles they’ll be assigned to next when the envelop falls out. Quite cloak-and-dagger. he thinks, grinning at the summons. He gets up from his chair, tosses the used newspaper upon it, and heads up the stairs to Delft’s office.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Oracle 9/Aristocrat 1 AC 18 hp max 78 +8 init, +16 perc, F+4, R +5, W +7

Rognar throws himself back into the ministry but finds it more and more tedious in the office as he has found a hunger for these new adventures and travels. Such wonders he has already beheld in such short order. So one fine day he simply starts going into the city to work at the docks gathering information or digging out various plots with the various groups around the town until one morning he catches the newspaper and jumps up from his breakfast elated to once more be summoned to duty.


When you arrive at Delft’s office, he’s chit-chatting with Lauryn Cyneburg, who Cretien remember from the audit(Adv 3) whose first words to the party sound like an insult.

“No one else will tell you this,” she says, “but we’re all kinda disappointed you let the colossus escape. Are you ready to clean up your mess?”

Delft smiles politely at the awkwardness. While he explains their mission, Lauryn begins studying coordinates on a map in preparation for teleportation.

“Being in a bit of a hurry: constables, this is Lauryn Cyneburg, Director of Infiltration. Lauryn, the constables.”

Delft puts a hand to the side of his mouth, as if speaking in confidence, and whispers, “She doesn’t care about your names.”

Smiling again, Delft continues. “I figure you have about five minutes before she’s ready to teleport us to Slate. A carriage is waiting to take us to the main headquarters. We’ll be meeting with the Lord Inspector and a few others to plan this mission, but I imagine before sunset you’ll be in Ber.”

He hands over a sheet of newspaper.

BERAN NEWS

“This was published a few hours ago in Seobriga. We’d had the word out that we’re looking for this gnome, Tinker, and a Beran contact got this to one of our agents. A few spells later, and I have a copy here. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Ob have a copy in their hands too."

“Constables, we’ve been spending the past two months cleaning our own house, and it’s good to feel safe we don’t have any more traitors or secret plots in our midst.” He raps his cane against the wood of his desk. “But this is our first real chance to figure out what in the hell they were planning to do with that 300-foot-tall wind-up toy. Tinker Oddcog helped build the thing, and when everything went crazy he didn’t run to the Ob. He ran away. I hope that means he might be willing to talk, but we’re going to need to find him before they do.

“Now grab anything you need from the quartermaster and be back in five. Anything you need later we’ll ship with express delivery. Any questions?”


Panoply HP 47/47; AC 15/14/11; Saves 4/5/7; Init +3; Perc +10; Sense Motive +2

Femi instinctively doesn't like the woman, and less so when she insults them on first contact. Most folks, folks who want their advice to be heard, will be a little less hostile about it. But perhaps she's having a bad day. He stays out of her way while he ignores her words.

"Tinker Oddcog does indeed sound like trouble. So the job is to bring him back in one piece ay? What can we expect in terms of hostiles? Anything else you can tell us?" he asks quickly, but in a way that's prepared for dismissal.

Answered or no, he rushes quickly to grab his kit, ready by his desk for such occasions. He prepares himself and hurries back to be ready for Lauryn Cyneburg. No sense in antagonizing her further by being late...

Grand Lodge

Male Human Oracle 9/Aristocrat 1 AC 18 hp max 78 +8 init, +16 perc, F+4, R +5, W +7

the tinker is a free agent? Or perhaps something else? Seems as Feki says he is a lot of trouble Rognar says


Tiefling map Armiger (Machinehead) 9/ Aristocrat 1 // AC 26/22/15 / HP 74/84 / F +10 R +11 W +9 / Init. +3 / Perc. +15 / Sense Motive +13

Weeks it had been, with the thrice-daily deliveries of coffee and pastries to the same workshop. The delivery boy would bring in the daily paper the last few feet that the newsboy was afraid to walk. The workshop was alive with sounds, a cacophony really, that included screams of an adult male tiefling that would give even a hardened Yerasol veteran pause. After the first few visits, the constables knew that there was no need to visit any further. Sir Cretien Dufrene was working on something, something big, and that was just the end of it. He had ceased being a fixture at Parwight University, handed off all of his classes to adjunct professors after giving each of his students very heartfelt-seeming form letters, and cloistered himself in his workshop. Strange sounds were heard at night when he would leave for the few cases he still worked on, mostly he had carts delivering evidence to his workshop for him to investigate, evaluate and write reports on to be delivered back to RHC the next morning. Carts regularly delivered tomes he requested from Pardwight and returned the tomes to the University the next day. Whatever the man was up to, he had chosen the workshop to be almost the entirety of his world for these past weeks.

When finally the day arrives and he receives the summons from Delft, he is still not ready. No one is ever truly ready, he chides himself. Except this morning, as many past, he has read the paper later than most. Keeping up with the times had become a cursory exercise for him, something less important than the other workings he had going on concurrently. He walks over, exposing shining metal ports installed subdermally from the waist up to the neck, and plugs himself into a construct that stands at attention with its joints facing all the wrong directions.

~~~~~~~~~

While Delft speaks with the other inspectors, miffed at the absence of some of those he had called, a roar is heard from a distance that gets closer. The roar grows louder, paired with the fearful exclamations of the crowd. It sounds as if a train is approaching right up the main street leading to the RHC HQ. Many Constables look out the window only to see a contraption making its way up the street at frightening speed, even faster than the first trains*. It drifts to a stop in front of the main entrance and within seconds falls mostly silent (at least as compared to the noise level just prior). A creature steps out of the wrought-iron vehicle as the steam abates in the morning breeze. From the junkyard contraption emerges a man scarcely recognizable as Constable Sir Cretien Dufrene. He is recognizable only after removing the stylized faceguard and helmet that matched the armor he now wore, which was comprised of glittering mithril plates riveted expertly to the layers of dark leather that comprised his new armor. It would already have been a shocking sight to those that knew the bookish constable before, but added to that shock was the construct that he wore on his back, as if the two were twins attached at birth. A separate set of legs, arms, and even a head jutted from the constable’s back at odd angles; more strangely still, they appeared to move collaboratively in concert with and to support his own movements. As beat-cops and veteran constables alike step aside, he makes his way to Delft’s office.

”Apologies for tardiness, I don’t read the paper as early as I should. What’s the current objective?” He pauses, noting Lauryn's presence. "Oh, you again. Things just got interesting."

(*: the first trains IRL didn’t quite top 10mph but Cretien is traveling at about 13.6 mph, so while not actually that fast it may have seemed so to the average person)


Delft shakes his head, pulls out his pocket watch, spits his chaw out into the spittoon and says, "We have reason to believe Tinker Oddcog is the person who enabled you to escape from the Cauldron Hill complex and he might have been the one talking to you from within the walls. We are not 100% of that. The Lord Inspector will be giving us the full briefing in Slate. When you are on mission, remember Cherage Rules."


AC 22, T 16, FF 17 hp 84/85 Female human aristocrat 1/slayer (bounty hunter) 9 Init +7; Senses Perception +12 | Fort +10, Ref +14, Will +7

Iva spends the two months working on her cases. She'd been called in on the prosecution of the cases several times. Her knowledge of law was certainly getting a work out. She also practiced with her assigned weapons daily. Tired of having her her prey escape her she works on stepping up into battle.

-------------

She reads the paper and sighs when she sees the note. "I knew we'd be called in sooner or later. I guess we should see what our assignment is."

Taking a seat in the office she gives the rude woman a quick glance. She may not want to know our names, but I trust she's good enough at teleporting people. She'll get us to the correct place without too much trouble. That's all that matters to me." She can be rude with the best of them when she wishes.

I assume if this gnome build the colossus, that he's intelligent. But is he street smart? If he's an intellectual, he might not know how to hide his tracks.... Good god what is that noise?" She goes to the window and looks on in shock as Cretien climbs out of his steam machine. She turns to the others on her team with a small smile. "This is going to be interesting." she takes her seat and continues her thought. As I was saying he may not be good at hiding his tracks if he's not street savvy. Does he have family in Ber?"


Tiefling map Armiger (Machinehead) 9/ Aristocrat 1 // AC 26/22/15 / HP 74/84 / F +10 R +11 W +9 / Init. +3 / Perc. +15 / Sense Motive +13

what are Cherage rules?

"He shouldn't be too hard to lure out. Especially when he catches wind of a new machinist in town. Plus he didn't seem terribly averse to us. Just skittish."


Shot Putter Funkmeister

Basically the same as Moscow rules IRL for spies. Smiley uses the phrase in Smiley's People


Tiefling map Armiger (Machinehead) 9/ Aristocrat 1 // AC 26/22/15 / HP 74/84 / F +10 R +11 W +9 / Init. +3 / Perc. +15 / Sense Motive +13

ah makes sense. hard for most of us to be truly spy-like given our notoriety and prestige but we always make do.


Panoply HP 47/47; AC 15/14/11; Saves 4/5/7; Init +3; Perc +10; Sense Motive +2

Femi is amazed at Cretien's conveyance. "Is that coming with us? If so, we certainly won't be inconspicuous." he chuckles.

He listens carefully to their orders and promises to keep his head down.


Tiefling map Armiger (Machinehead) 9/ Aristocrat 1 // AC 26/22/15 / HP 74/84 / F +10 R +11 W +9 / Init. +3 / Perc. +15 / Sense Motive +13

"Yeah, if it can't, ill build another one on the other side. I won't be inconspicuous anyway unless you've got some good magic to cover me up. With a helmet on, I might get confused for a construct, who knows."


Shot Putter Funkmeister

Delft says, "We have a meeting with Lord Inspector Price-Hill in Slate. He should have more information than I. Let's go"

He snaps his fingers at the Half-Elf woman and says, "Displace!"

A yellow light engulfs you as you land in the city of Slate.

The city’s teleportation circle lies on the east side of the river, between the military base and the Banham Academy, inside a fortified bunker guarded by a dozen soldiers and mages.

Knowledge Arcana DC 15

Spoiler:
Spells alert the base whenever people teleport in, and the base’s wardmage immediately knows of any injuries or attacks made in the teleportation chamber. In the event of a suspected invasion, four quick axe-swipes can release a 3-ft. thick suspended wooden disk. The disk covers the teleportation circle, preventing anyone from traveling through it.

Knowledge Local DC 15

Spoiler:
Non-hostile visitors are briefly searched, have to show papers (including teleportation passports if they are foreign), and then interviewed by a customs officer. If nothing looks suspicious they are cleared to leave the bunker, where carriages await to take them wherever they need to go. It is assumed that anyone who can afford to teleport is a V.I.P.

When you arrive, everyone recognizes Lauryn Cyneburg, who comes through with great regularity and one of them recognizes Delft, he goes to Slate once a month.

One of the guards says, "Hey Sarge, look its the Heroes of Flint... the whole group of em..."

The Sergeant comes out of his office and says, "Yayr, whattsa matta wit ya, yer ain't seen no vips before." he then looks up and says, "Constables, wow, look you have Dufrene, Skipwith-Darling and Ferka. and the new guy... Grimjaw... no tooth... thats it. It is an honor to meet you all. Is there anything me or my men can do, just ask."


Tiefling map Armiger (Machinehead) 9/ Aristocrat 1 // AC 26/22/15 / HP 74/84 / F +10 R +11 W +9 / Init. +3 / Perc. +15 / Sense Motive +13

arcana: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30
local: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

"Ah, I feel quite fancy. Quite the arcane expense for such a room with all these wards."


Panoply HP 47/47; AC 15/14/11; Saves 4/5/7; Init +3; Perc +10; Sense Motive +2

Femi blinks a moment or two as his eyes adjust to their new surroundings, and the rest of him follows. He smiles as they’re recognized, though it will occur to him later if everyone recognizes them, it’s going to be a bit tougher to work.

Knowledge Arcana: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31 vs DC 15
Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21 vs DC 15

He nods at their security and addresses the sergeant, ”Thank you Sergeant. For now, we have a meeting, if we may proceed. We don't have a lot of time.”

Grand Lodge

Male Human Oracle 9/Aristocrat 1 AC 18 hp max 78 +8 init, +16 perc, F+4, R +5, W +7

Rognar stumbles a step as the spell brings him instantly to another place and he looks around letting his eyes adjust and stepping off the warded area he nods and says Rognar Grimtooth is the name, Skyseer.


Shot Putter Funkmeister

The Sergeant nods and waves you through.

You, Delft and Lauryn board a carriage to take you to HQ.

For people used to living in the bustle of Flint, the city of Slate appears stately, calm, and perhaps a bit doddering. The Great Delve River, with its steep banks turning it almost into a man-made channel, generally separates the city into the noble west bank and the common east bank. Six antique castles sit along the inside of a wide bend on the river’s west bank, arranged in a pattern originally designed to defend against invasion.

These castles act as nexuses of communities of elite gated villas, and here live the nobles descended from the many kings and queens Risur has had throughout history. Today the district resembles an overly-manicured flower garden, more pretty than practical. Across the shore lie dozens of less affluent neighborhoods surrounding the Grand Weft, a massive square where three highways intersect.

Wealthy businesses clump along the Lowland Highway, which leads from the square to docks along the river. The king’s residence, Torfield Palace, sits atop a broad grassy hill a mile south of the weft. It is symbolic of the government of Risur that the king lives with the people, and only once he steps down or dies would his family move to the west bank.

In an ornate conference room, the head of the RHC Lord Inspector Nigel Price-Hill awaits you, and with him is the king’s principle minister Harkover Lee, who is commonly believed to be the most powerful mage in Risur. A handful of aides handle maps and any necessary documents.

The Lord Inspector says, "Welcome, before we get to it, we have a replacement for Constable Escheus. His name is Lang. We also might have an AIP in Seobriga."

John, feel free to introduce yourself.


HP 57 | AC: 20; T: 13 ;FF: 17 | Fort +6; Ref: +11 ; Will: +15 | Init +3 | Perception +0; Sense Motive +12 | Touch Treatment: 10 | Spells/Day: 6/5 (6)/2 (3) Hypnotic Stare Penalty: -4 will saves, -3 Attack Rolls | Tricks: 6 (11) | Implanted Tricks: Fearsome Guise (Me), Fearsome Guise (Javier)

A dar haired man in his late 20's stands and says "As the Lord Inspector said, my name is John Lang. A pleasure" then nods to each of you.

As he speaks, you notice that everything about him is...average. He's average height and weight, he's dressed in common clothing of Risur, and he is recently shaven. After his introduction, he moves to stand with the group.


Panoply HP 47/47; AC 15/14/11; Saves 4/5/7; Init +3; Perc +10; Sense Motive +2

Femi is bald, carefully shaved on a regular basis so as to show off his very fine tattoo. The tattoo is of a stylized pseudodragon whose tail is coiled around his neck ‘clinging’ to the back of his head and just peering out over the top (barely visible from the front over the top of the head) as the tiny dragon looks out onto the world. The tattoo is lightly colored in greens and blues and is very beautiful, if you’re into that sort of thing.

From there, the gaunt man is dressed in several layers of homespun cotton, also brightly dyed, and a light silk scarf - a gift from one of his lady friends back home as a remembrance. He wears heavy well worn boots. He has a large sling bag over his shoulder and chest with a variety of clanking objects within. A light crossbow hangs at his waist along with a dagger that sees more use in dinner than in combat.

He switches his quarterstaff to his left hand and reaches out to shake John's.

"Pleasure to meet you. There will be time to chat later I hope." He smiles warmly.


Tiefling map Armiger (Machinehead) 9/ Aristocrat 1 // AC 26/22/15 / HP 74/84 / F +10 R +11 W +9 / Init. +3 / Perc. +15 / Sense Motive +13

"Greetings. I hope you're built to last." Cretien says grimly, but with a smile. He stands six feet tall and wears heavy armor comprised of several layers of dark, oiled leather punctuated with glittering plates of mithril sewn on that covers his torso and hangs over his thighs similarly to a kilt. His arms and legs are covered in plates and conduits that are made of steel and attached to them are spare sets of appendages, two arms and two legs. Above his shoulders and centered facing backwards is a head like that of a construct and stylized as a more fearsome tiefling bordering on demonic. A wide sweeping helmet with a face mask of a similar style is held in one of the mechanical arms, and a heavy steel shield thick enough to be a manhole cover is held in the other.


Shot Putter Funkmeister

The Lord Inspector nods and gets down to business, " Here is the sitrep, your mission is to go to Ber’s capital Seobriga, find Tinker Oddcog, and get all information he has about the colossus and the Obscurati."

He looks around the room quickly and continues, "However it would be even better if you actually go one step further and could recruit the gnome. Anyone who could design the colossus would be an immense asset to the nation, and the king is willing to offer quite a lot to secure Oddcog’s talent."


Male

Then the Principal Minister interjects, "I expect two main complications. Firstly, the Berans won’t want to hand Tinker over, and Bruse Shantus has used his power as ruler to extend protection against divination magic to the gnome. I also suspect that any hostile action taken against Oddcog would alert the Bruse and might damage relations between Risur and Ber."

He then says, "The Lord Inspector and I as well as the King think it is wiser to directly petition the Bruse and negotiate a trade, rather than waste time trying to find Tinker yourselves. Secondly, the Obscurati have also been searching for Oddcog. And to this end, shortly after the newspaper clipping was delivered to the RHC, spies reported that a Danoran warship, Lux Profectusque, had docked in Seobriga the day before."

Chretien DC 10 Intelligence CHeck or Knowledge Nobility DC 20

Spoiler:
Chretien remembers that is the ship the Lya Jierre was on when he handed over Axis Island in Adventure 1 and everyone else it is purported to be one of the ships Jierre uses as her personal vessel.


Tiefling map Armiger (Machinehead) 9/ Aristocrat 1 // AC 26/22/15 / HP 74/84 / F +10 R +11 W +9 / Init. +3 / Perc. +15 / Sense Motive +13

int: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
nobility: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

"Lya Jierre's personal vessel, according to rumor. Definitely aboard as of the Battle of Axis Island."


Male

Lee nods and then says,"Correct, speaking of the Ob, we have only the thinnest ideas of what the Ob’s resources in Ber might include, but it appears they have a head start on you. As a final snag, the public in Seobriga has been staging weekly protests—called Civilized Progressive Rallies—and there’s one happening today."


HP 57 | AC: 20; T: 13 ;FF: 17 | Fort +6; Ref: +11 ; Will: +15 | Init +3 | Perception +0; Sense Motive +12 | Touch Treatment: 10 | Spells/Day: 6/5 (6)/2 (3) Hypnotic Stare Penalty: -4 will saves, -3 Attack Rolls | Tricks: 6 (11) | Implanted Tricks: Fearsome Guise (Me), Fearsome Guise (Javier)

Int Check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

"Have we already begun the paperwork required to begin negotiations with The Bruse?"

Would my characters know who the obscurati is?


Panoply HP 47/47; AC 15/14/11; Saves 4/5/7; Init +3; Perc +10; Sense Motive +2

"Interesting, so we're not alone in our hunt of the city." Femi replies to Cretien.

"What are we able to negotiate with? What can we offer the Bruse for the gnome?"


AC 22, T 16, FF 17 hp 84/85 Female human aristocrat 1/slayer (bounty hunter) 9 Init +7; Senses Perception +12 | Fort +10, Ref +14, Will +7

The tall blond woman wearing a well designed long coat over trousers and knee boots, nods as John asks one of the most pertinent questions. "Iva Skipwith-Darling." she says by way of introduction to John. She's wearing a satchel that hangs at her hip, and two kukri's on at her waist.

"Are there legal precedents that I can study regarding the trade negotiations. Do we have any idea what they might be asking in trade for the gnome. He's clearly a hot commodity at the moment." She pulls out a notepad from her satchel, and begins to take notes. "What are we authorized to offer?"

Know Barrister: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12


Shot Putter Funkmeister

The Lord Inspector frowns and says, "If only it were just so easy as to give him gold or jewels or even technology. But we highly doubt that is the case."

He then puts a dossier on the Bruse on the table.

Bruse Shantus

He then says, "If you can get him to accept cash, by all means most likely he will want something else. Gaining an audience with him is usually difficult as you probably deducted by today's article that Delft gave you earlier or in John's case I did."

BERAN NEWS

John, before be given this assignment these dossiers have been given to you Dossiers


HP 57 | AC: 20; T: 13 ;FF: 17 | Fort +6; Ref: +11 ; Will: +15 | Init +3 | Perception +0; Sense Motive +12 | Touch Treatment: 10 | Spells/Day: 6/5 (6)/2 (3) Hypnotic Stare Penalty: -4 will saves, -3 Attack Rolls | Tricks: 6 (11) | Implanted Tricks: Fearsome Guise (Me), Fearsome Guise (Javier)

"Does anyone have any information on Glaucia Evora? She might have an idea where we can find Oddcog."


Panoply HP 47/47; AC 15/14/11; Saves 4/5/7; Init +3; Perc +10; Sense Motive +2

Femi reads the information and nods, ”Yes, he will be hard to get to, and even harder to deal with.” He turns to John and smiles, ”I can scry, and even locate people magically if we’re close enough. Glaucia Evora though doesn’t ring a bell. Who is she?”


Shot Putter Funkmeister

The Lord Inspector says, "According to the article, she is a judge in the Nakkard section of Seobriga. We know she is a gnoll and has been in her job for over a decade."

He then continues, "Unfortunately there’s no formal relationship between the RHC and any similar security apparatus in Ber. It’s unclear even if Ber has a formal intelligence organization. In the past, interrogated orc and goblin spies have claimed they work for ‘El Extraño,’ but were always recruited second hand, and never formally worked for the Beran government. To have a chance of reaching the Bruse, the you need to be escorted by someone with connections to the court. Toward that end PM Lee has contacted Brakken of Heffanita, the Beran ambassador to Risur, and asked him to meet the party at the Seobriga teleportation circle today."

Grand Lodge

Male Human Oracle 9/Aristocrat 1 AC 18 hp max 78 +8 init, +16 perc, F+4, R +5, W +7

An older fellow with various items hanging off his belt some related to charting and observing the planes and stars carrying some sort of exotic weapon looks around and nods to John saying
Rognar Grimtooth, Skyseer and when the briefing seems over he takes out a notebook writing all the important names in a list and objectives.


Male

Harkover Lee explains, "We are sending a ship equipped with an experimental teleportation beacon. Normally such beacons must be stationary, but recent research in the wake of the Gidim incursion (see Adventure Three) has helped make this new device possible. The beacon will eliminate the chance of a mishap when teleporting to the ship, though you’ll need to contact your crew first to find the ship’s precise coordinates. Through teleportation, equipment and personnel can be delivered to and from your ship. The RHC will provide you with eight scrolls of teleport and thirty scrolls of sending. The installation of the teleportation beacon should be complete in a few hours, and then your ship will sail with haste to Seobriga. You will already have teleported there, so hopefully you won’t need a ship for at least a few days."


Panoply HP 47/47; AC 15/14/11; Saves 4/5/7; Init +3; Perc +10; Sense Motive +2

"Brilliant." Femi observes as the plans are described to him. "I cannot yet cast those spells, but I am close. I should be able to use the scroll without too much trouble though as I meet all the requirements."

He turns to the newcomer, "I don't suppose you're a caster? If so, can you use these scrolls? It would be good to have some overlap in case I fall in battle."


HP 57 | AC: 20; T: 13 ;FF: 17 | Fort +6; Ref: +11 ; Will: +15 | Init +3 | Perception +0; Sense Motive +12 | Touch Treatment: 10 | Spells/Day: 6/5 (6)/2 (3) Hypnotic Stare Penalty: -4 will saves, -3 Attack Rolls | Tricks: 6 (11) | Implanted Tricks: Fearsome Guise (Me), Fearsome Guise (Javier)

"I can use very minor magics, and I am also skilled in utilizing magical items, so I should able able to use those scrolls as well. You are, of course, more than welcome to carry them, just so long as I know where they are located."


Shot Putter Funkmeister

The Lord Viscount Inspector coughs and then continues, "Before you leave Seobriga and seek out the Bruse, I suggest talking to the journalist, Melissa Amarie. She should have some interesting insight into the situation and may prove invaluable. Any further questions about the mission, what is going on in Ber or anything else pertinent?"


HP 57 | AC: 20; T: 13 ;FF: 17 | Fort +6; Ref: +11 ; Will: +15 | Init +3 | Perception +0; Sense Motive +12 | Touch Treatment: 10 | Spells/Day: 6/5 (6)/2 (3) Hypnotic Stare Penalty: -4 will saves, -3 Attack Rolls | Tricks: 6 (11) | Implanted Tricks: Fearsome Guise (Me), Fearsome Guise (Javier)

"So to sum up, our mission is to locate and secure the Gnome Tinker Oddcog and then extract ourselves from the situation. In order to facilitate this, we should attempt negotiation with the Bruse, the leader of the Ber. You have also recommended that we speak to a journalist named Melissa Amarie. Have I missed anything?"


Male

The PM says, "Yes, basically you teleport to Ber, confer with Ambassador Brakken, whom Iva, Chretien, Rognar and Femi have already met during the summit. Try to gain an audience with Bruse Shantus and try to get Tinker. The journalist is a good lead. You could also talk with the judge as well. Your ship should be n Seobriga in about three days. Please contact us after meeting the Bruse."


Tiefling map Armiger (Machinehead) 9/ Aristocrat 1 // AC 26/22/15 / HP 74/84 / F +10 R +11 W +9 / Init. +3 / Perc. +15 / Sense Motive +13

Cretien nods, ready.


HP 57 | AC: 20; T: 13 ;FF: 17 | Fort +6; Ref: +11 ; Will: +15 | Init +3 | Perception +0; Sense Motive +12 | Touch Treatment: 10 | Spells/Day: 6/5 (6)/2 (3) Hypnotic Stare Penalty: -4 will saves, -3 Attack Rolls | Tricks: 6 (11) | Implanted Tricks: Fearsome Guise (Me), Fearsome Guise (Javier)

"Will do. Anything els you think we should know or would be helpful for us to know?"

9,351 to 9,400 of 9,789 << first < prev | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Zeitgeist: Act 1... All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.