Why Can't Fighters Have Nice Hobgoblins? Ironfang Invasion

Game Master Stalwart

Oathday, 29 Sarenith, 4717

maps
Loot list


6,151 to 6,200 of 6,550 << first < prev | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | next > last >>

M Aasimar Fighter 8/Chevalier 3| HP 73/103 | AC 30 (32 vs goblins), T 14, FF 27, CMD 29 | Init +5 | Perception +19 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +13/+10/+7 (+4 vs mind-affecting, immune fear/poison) | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1 | BB 1/1 | Alter Self 1/1 | Active: None

Amkarang is still up top, having been one person too many for Haela to bring along.

And, racing to the exit isn't a sure thing.

Benedict also knows that Grum would certainly prefer the direct approach.

"Let's take them! Haela, Grum, charge! William, Aerel, arrows! Amkarang, dive down and join us!"

He moves to draw the attention of the other centipede while drawing his warhammer, and uses Total Defense (for AC 36).


F Dwarf Ftr9 | AC 27, T12, FF25, CMD 25 | HP 76/86 | F +10 R +6 W +6 (+2 vs spells/SLA/poison, +teamwork) | Move 20' | Init +2 | Per +8 (Darkvision)

Haela nods.

"Focus fire!"
She shares Blood for the Empire as a swift action. This will give everybody +3 morale bonus to hit and damage against any foe that she hits within the past round, or +2 against any target that anyone else hits. Then she charges the nearest centipede.

Attack, Charge, PA: 1d20 + 16 + 2 - 3 ⇒ (7) + 16 + 2 - 3 = 22
Damage: 1d10 + 6 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 + 6 = 19

Sovereign Court

Half-Orc Dragonheir Scion (11) Wounds (2) HP (112) Saves (13/7/8, +4 vs spells and SLAs) Init (+1) AC 30 (28/11/27, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (10) CMD (26) BB (4/5) Buffs (Ability Mastery +2 Str)

Hit: 1d20 + 23 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 23 + 2 = 43
Damage with electricity and fire: 1d10 + 1d6 + 1d4 + 26 ⇒ (8) + (4) + (2) + 26 = 40
Wait until the arrows fly and charge a wounded one if possible for the extra +2

Grum took a deep breath as the order to charge was given. He wasn’t the biggest fan of fighting mindless animals. That wasn’t war. It wasn’t nearly as much fun. But he was ready to spill blood nonetheless, as running like a coward was disgraceful. With a slight nod to Benedict he charged in, sword held up high.


Fighter 11 | 121 HP | AC 24 (25 in fortress mode, 28 w/ full attack), T 14, F 20, CMD 27| F 9 R 8 W 8 | Init +3 | Perc +11

Hearing Benedict's call, Amkarang takes a deep breath and the takes the plunge, hurtling down towards the cold waters below.

I can take 10 on swimming for a 22, is that enough to be able to get out alright?


Amkarang drops into the cold water, plunging dozens of feet but because of the churning water he doesn't hit the surface hard.

Before he kicks up to the surface, he spots the glint of gold in the silt-covered bottom of the cistern.

Meanwhile, Benedict calls for action against the titanic centipedes.

Enemy: 1d20 ⇒ 13
Grum: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Benedict: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
William: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Amkarang: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
Aerel: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Haela: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

Aerel is still to go!


Male Elf Fighter (archer)/rogue* 11 | AC 23 (25 with buckler), T 17, F 17, CMD 29 | F 10 R 11 W 7 | hp 57/81 | Init +6 | Perc +25, +30 vs traps, darkvision 60', see invisibility/ethereal | Effects:

Aerel readies his bow as he strides into the room, aiming at the creature facing the dwarven healer.

Single shot with deadly aim and point-blank shot: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (9) + 19 = 28

Damage: 1d8 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18

Moved the token on the map


The monstrous centipedes hiss with a volume that shakes the ancient structure. Haela and Grum bite through the tough carapace with their weapons and Aerel's arrow strikes true. Aerel's Sneak attack: 3d6 ⇒ (3, 2, 5) = 10

The one to the east crawls out of its nest, its body easily squeezing through the narrow gap. It strikes lightning-fast at Benedict.

Bite: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (12) + 15 = 27

The warrior nimbly dodges the creature's attack.

The wounded one rears up and tries to bite at the creatures causing it pain.
Bite: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (5) + 15 = 20

In its pain and confusion, it misses wildly.

PCs are up!


F Dwarf Ftr9 | AC 27, T12, FF25, CMD 25 | HP 76/86 | F +10 R +6 W +6 (+2 vs spells/SLA/poison, +teamwork) | Move 20' | Init +2 | Per +8 (Darkvision)

Haela strikes twice at the massive creature.

Primary, PA, Blood for the Empire: 1d20 + 16 - 3 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 16 - 3 + 3 = 30
Damage: 1d10 + 6 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 6 + 6 + 3 = 19

Secondary, PA, Blood for the Empire: 1d20 + 11 - 3 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 11 - 3 + 3 = 12

Her first strike is solid, but her second clatters off the chitinous armor.


M Aasimar Fighter 8/Chevalier 3| HP 73/103 | AC 30 (32 vs goblins), T 14, FF 27, CMD 29 | Init +5 | Perception +19 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +13/+10/+7 (+4 vs mind-affecting, immune fear/poison) | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1 | BB 1/1 | Alter Self 1/1 | Active: None

Benedict takes a step and attacks his foe.

Primary, PA, Alter Self: 1d20 + 16 - 3 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 16 - 3 + 1 = 32
Damage, PA, Alter Self: 1d8 + 7 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 7 + 9 + 1 = 21

Secondary, PA, Alter Self: 1d20 + 11 - 3 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 11 - 3 + 1 = 28
Damage, PA, Alter Self: 1d8 + 7 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 7 + 9 + 1 = 20

Tertiary, PA, Alter Self: 1d20 + 6 - 3 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 6 - 3 + 1 = 7
Damage, PA, Alter Self: 1d8 + 7 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 7 + 9 + 1 = 18

"Archers, on this one!"
He is pretty sure that the other will not survive Grum's full fury.


Male Elf Fighter (archer)/rogue* 11 | AC 23 (25 with buckler), T 17, F 17, CMD 29 | F 10 R 11 W 7 | hp 57/81 | Init +6 | Perc +25, +30 vs traps, darkvision 60', see invisibility/ethereal | Effects:

+1 longbow +17/+17/+12/+7 with PBS, RS, DA (1d8+12/x3/30' range)

Aerel takes a step back from the creature facing Benedict and turns his aim as ordered.

First attack with Multishot: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (16) + 17 = 33
Damage: 2d8 + 24 ⇒ (5, 2) + 24 = 31

Rapid Shot attack: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (15) + 17 = 32
Damage: 1d8 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17

Iterative Shot: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27
Damage: 1d8 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19

Iterative Shot: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Damage: 1d8 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14

Sovereign Court

Half-Orc Dragonheir Scion (11) Wounds (2) HP (112) Saves (13/7/8, +4 vs spells and SLAs) Init (+1) AC 30 (28/11/27, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (10) CMD (26) BB (4/5) Buffs (Ability Mastery +2 Str)

Hit: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (2) + 23 = 25
Damage with electricity and fire: 1d10 + 1d6 + 1d4 + 26 ⇒ (2) + (4) + (1) + 26 = 33

Iterative: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (3) + 15 = 18
Damage with electricity and fire: 1d10 + 1d6 + 1d4 + 26 ⇒ (7) + (1) + (1) + 26 = 35

Iterative: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17
Damage with electricity and fire: 1d10 + 1d6 + 1d4 + 26 ⇒ (10) + (2) + (3) + 26 = 41

Hands slick with ichor, Grum nearly lost control of his blade. His frenzied attacks lost much of their accuracy as he had to stop the blade from falling out of his grasp. Luckily, he kept the weapon from falling, which would have been catastrophic.


Holy crap, these things have 30' reach!

Aerel's actions draw the attention of the titan centipede, and it strikes just as he's about to loose his arrows.
Bite: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (10) + 15 = 25
Damage: 4d6 + 24 ⇒ (6, 2, 1, 2) + 24 = 35
Aerel must make a Fort save against poison, DC 24

Grum and Haela combine to defeat one of the monstrous centipedes.

Amkarang and William are up!


Male Human Fighter 11| AC 26 T 16 FF 21 | HP 102/114| F +10 R +9 W +5; +3 vs Fear | Init +5 | Perc +16

Preparing for the blow from the creature William unleashes all the arrows he can at it.

+2 Adaptive Goblinoid Bane Composite Longbow PBS MS RS DA AS 1: 1d20 + 20 - 2 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (18) + 20 - 2 + 1 - 3 = 34 Damage 1: 1d8 + 6 + 3 + 1 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 + 3 + 1 + 6 = 21 Damage 2: 1d8 + 6 + 3 + 1 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 + 3 + 1 + 6 = 24
+2 Adaptive Goblinoid Bane Composite Longbow PBS RS DA AS 2: 1d20 + 20 - 2 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (19) + 20 - 2 + 1 - 3 = 35 Damage: 1d8 + 6 + 3 + 1 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 3 + 1 + 6 = 18
+2 Adaptive Goblinoid Bane Composite Longbow PBS RS DA AS 3: 1d20 + 15 - 2 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (14) + 15 - 2 + 1 - 3 = 25 Damage: 1d8 + 6 + 3 + 1 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 + 3 + 1 + 6 = 23
+2 Adaptive Goblinoid Bane Composite Longbow PBS RS DA AS 4: 1d20 + 10 - 2 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (12) + 10 - 2 + 1 - 3 = 18 Damage: 1d8 + 6 + 3 + 1 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 3 + 1 + 6 = 18


Male Elf Fighter (archer)/rogue* 11 | AC 23 (25 with buckler), T 17, F 17, CMD 29 | F 10 R 11 W 7 | hp 57/81 | Init +6 | Perc +25, +30 vs traps, darkvision 60', see invisibility/ethereal | Effects:

Yeah, I figured that was going to be the case, but I needed to put arrows in the air and he might have missed.

Fortitude DC 24: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18

Aerel feels the burn as the toxins enter his bloodstream. "By the Wind and the Waves, that thing's bite burns like fire!"


Dex damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6

The barrage of arrows bring down the second titanic beast. However, the poison rages in Aerel's blood from the centipede's bite!

You need to make 2 saves in a row

Dex damage Round 2: 1d6 ⇒ 6
Dex damage Round 3: 1d6 ⇒ 6
Dex damage Round 4: 1d6 ⇒ 6
Dex damage Round 5: 1d6 ⇒ 3
Dex damage Round 6: 1d6 ⇒ 3

Oh!! Holy crap I never roll that well!

Good luck :/


M Aasimar Fighter 8/Chevalier 3| HP 73/103 | AC 30 (32 vs goblins), T 14, FF 27, CMD 29 | Init +5 | Perception +19 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +13/+10/+7 (+4 vs mind-affecting, immune fear/poison) | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1 | BB 1/1 | Alter Self 1/1 | Active: None

Benedict doesn't wait for the poison to run its course. As quickly as he can, he administers the party's Potion of Neutralize Poison to Aerel.

CL vs DC 24: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

Some good luck for us!


Fighter 11 | 121 HP | AC 24 (25 in fortress mode, 28 w/ full attack), T 14, F 20, CMD 27| F 9 R 8 W 8 | Init +3 | Perc +11

Amkarang pulls himself out of the water. He takes a deep breath, "Damn, that water was cold. What'd I miss?"


The magic of the potion overcomes the devastating effects of the centipede's poison. Though Aerel is overcome by the initial damage, the rest of the poison is nullified.

What next?


M Aasimar Fighter 8/Chevalier 3| HP 73/103 | AC 30 (32 vs goblins), T 14, FF 27, CMD 29 | Init +5 | Perception +19 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +13/+10/+7 (+4 vs mind-affecting, immune fear/poison) | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1 | BB 1/1 | Alter Self 1/1 | Active: None

"Do we have any more of those Bandages of Rapid Recovery? They should speed Aerel's recovery from the poison."

Loot tracker says we have 4 sets left.

"But we can't wait around and rest. We will have to soldier on with the effects of the poison lingering."

We do have a scroll of Restoration, but it would be pretty tricky to use. It's a DC 27 UMD to use the scroll, and a DC 29 UMD to emulate the 14 Wis needed.

"I suppose we head to that partially-collapsed tunnel in the northwest."


F Dwarf Ftr9 | AC 27, T12, FF25, CMD 25 | HP 76/86 | F +10 R +6 W +6 (+2 vs spells/SLA/poison, +teamwork) | Move 20' | Init +2 | Per +8 (Darkvision)

Haela will heal Aerel's injuries, at least the physical wounds.

Healer's Hands 1 of 9: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (17) + 17 = 34
Beats the DC by 10, so the healing is 2*HD (22) + Frontier Healer (5) + Wis modifier (2) + Knowledge (Planes) ranks (9) = 38 HP healed.


A visible chasm in the northwestern floor of this ragged cavern leads down into darkness, while the remainder of the room curves to the west and south. A massive, tarnished-bronze door is set into the partially collapsed southwestern wall, and piles of rubble line the remaining walls.


Male Human Fighter 11| AC 26 T 16 FF 21 | HP 102/114| F +10 R +9 W +5; +3 vs Fear | Init +5 | Perc +16

William looks at Aerel with concern and then says, "When Aerel is ready we should check behind that door then continue on down the corridor."


Male Elf Fighter (archer)/rogue* 11 | AC 23 (25 with buckler), T 17, F 17, CMD 29 | F 10 R 11 W 7 | hp 57/81 | Init +6 | Perc +25, +30 vs traps, darkvision 60', see invisibility/ethereal | Effects:

Aerel takes a moment to gather himself, stretching muscles suddenly stiff, shaking his head. "I'm good. Thanks for the potion, Benedict, that was quick thinking. I can still scout - my eyes work fine."

He moves to the door referred to by William and listens.

Stealth, with Dex penalty: 1d20 + 24 - 3 ⇒ (13) + 24 - 3 = 34

Perception vs traps: 1d20 + 30 ⇒ (16) + 30 = 46

Perception to listen: 1d20 + 25 ⇒ (11) + 25 = 36


The breach in the floor drops deep and out of sight. Amongst the rubble is some old Dwarven belongings and some clay pots.

The door is wedged tightly in place. It appears to Haela that the structure settled decades ago and the metal door has warped beneath the weight. It would require quite the feat of strength to unjam it.

A ten-foot-wide stone door stands within an excavated wall of stone on the east side of this basalt-walled rectangular chamber. The door is embellished with imagery of two stout humanoids barring the path with crossed axe headed polearms. A recess just below the crossed weapons -- shaped like a four-pointed star -- appears connected to a deeper mechanism.
A passage leading south has completely collapsed.

Aerel keeps his eyes open and in the next chamber he sees the tell-tale signs of a mystical trap upon the elaborate locking mechanism.


M Aasimar Fighter 8/Chevalier 3| HP 73/103 | AC 30 (32 vs goblins), T 14, FF 27, CMD 29 | Init +5 | Perception +19 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +13/+10/+7 (+4 vs mind-affecting, immune fear/poison) | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1 | BB 1/1 | Alter Self 1/1 | Active: None

Benedict will search the rubble, looking at the old Dwarven belongings and the clay pots.

Perception: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (19) + 19 = 38
He also listens at the breach in the floor, hoping that no Morlocks will come up that way any time soon.


Benedict finds a suit of dwarven stoneplate armor that must be magically enchanted considering how well it's survived the years. Some of the jars contain colorful pigments that are also surprisingly fresh.

The gap in the floor drops away to the limits of his darkvision. He hears no signs of anything coming from that direction, but he notices there are handholds worn into the rock that would make climbing down manageable.

Sovereign Court

Half-Orc Dragonheir Scion (11) Wounds (2) HP (112) Saves (13/7/8, +4 vs spells and SLAs) Init (+1) AC 30 (28/11/27, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (10) CMD (26) BB (4/5) Buffs (Ability Mastery +2 Str)

"Look at that!" Grum exclaimed. "Dwarven armor. Think it'll fit, Haela?" Grum asked, seemingly unaware of how the question could be perceived as being in bad taste. "Always heard that dwarven ruins were filled with treasure, and we find a full suit of armor just lying here." He added, his mood elated after the fight they just had. "Aerel, think you can unjam that door? I'm really curious to see what's on the other side."


M Aasimar Fighter 8/Chevalier 3| HP 73/103 | AC 30 (32 vs goblins), T 14, FF 27, CMD 29 | Init +5 | Perception +19 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +13/+10/+7 (+4 vs mind-affecting, immune fear/poison) | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1 | BB 1/1 | Alter Self 1/1 | Active: None

"The trapped door with the elaborate lock would need Aerel's attention, of course."
That's the one in the southeast of room G16?

"The other door, I think, is just stuck."
That's the one in the southwest of room G15?

"The morlock told us to 'take the leftmost passage and follow it, staying to the left, until you come upon a great dwarven door. The false god is just beyond.' Well, the morlock didn't tell us about any trap. Glad that Aerel found it.

This stuck door we can take care of after this false god and the dishonest morlock. I imagine we might need a crowbar and maybe Enlarge Person." the left (west) door is on our right as we are going south

"After Aerel takes care of the trap and unlocks the door, we should prepare before going to fight this false god."


F Dwarf Ftr9 | AC 27, T12, FF25, CMD 25 | HP 76/86 | F +10 R +6 W +6 (+2 vs spells/SLA/poison, +teamwork) | Move 20' | Init +2 | Per +8 (Darkvision)

Haela does not take offense at Grum's suggestion.
"Whoever owned this armor has been dead a long time, I think.
I do have magic armor already, and stoneplate is particularly heavy. If William finds it to be stronger than what I have, it might be worth making the switch."

Hoping William can identify the armor and the pigments.


Male Human Fighter 11| AC 26 T 16 FF 21 | HP 102/114| F +10 R +9 W +5; +3 vs Fear | Init +5 | Perc +16

William casts detect magic when handed the items to identify and then studies them.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (11) + 19 = 30 Armor
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (8) + 19 = 27 Pigments


Male Elf Fighter (archer)/rogue* 11 | AC 23 (25 with buckler), T 17, F 17, CMD 29 | F 10 R 11 W 7 | hp 57/81 | Init +6 | Perc +25, +30 vs traps, darkvision 60', see invisibility/ethereal | Effects:

Aerel studies the trap carefully, knowing his fingers don’t feel as nimble, but knowing he’s the one with the best chance nonetheless.

Does anyone else have any skills to aid me?


M Aasimar Fighter 8/Chevalier 3| HP 73/103 | AC 30 (32 vs goblins), T 14, FF 27, CMD 29 | Init +5 | Perception +19 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +13/+10/+7 (+4 vs mind-affecting, immune fear/poison) | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1 | BB 1/1 | Alter Self 1/1 | Active: None

@Aerel - we have a bunch of potions of Heroism and Guidance in party loot. If you don't already have a morale or competence bonus then those can help. Just mark off what you use.


Are you going to try to pick the lock, or explore the caverns in the hopes you might find a key?


M Aasimar Fighter 8/Chevalier 3| HP 73/103 | AC 30 (32 vs goblins), T 14, FF 27, CMD 29 | Init +5 | Perception +19 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +13/+10/+7 (+4 vs mind-affecting, immune fear/poison) | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1 | BB 1/1 | Alter Self 1/1 | Active: None

I would recommend that Aerel disable the trap first, then pick the lock.


Male Elf Fighter (archer)/rogue* 11 | AC 23 (25 with buckler), T 17, F 17, CMD 29 | F 10 R 11 W 7 | hp 57/81 | Init +6 | Perc +25, +30 vs traps, darkvision 60', see invisibility/ethereal | Effects:

Aerel nods at the Clever's suggestion and drinks a potion of Heroism.

Disable Device vs. the trap: 1d20 + 27 - 3 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 27 - 3 + 5 + 2 = 35 Heroism bonus, Dex penalty, Trapfinding bonus

Disable Device vs. the lock: 1d20 + 27 - 3 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 27 - 3 + 2 = 45


Aerel manages to disarm the trap harmlessly before working on the complex lock mechanism. It's about as tough as he'd seen, but his skills are up to the challenge as he disables it, allowing the door to grind open.

Inside, the heroes see that sections of brass plating line worked-stone walls to the west and north of the chamber. Cavernous rock protrudes inward throughout the remainder of the area. An earthen platform rises four feet above the floor of the chamber along the eastern wall, which is covered by a crude image depicting a snakelike figure with the face of a human female, coiled above masses of deformed humanoids. Far more intricate script covers the walls, inscribed alongside the image.

Inside, they see a large snake creature with a woman's face attended by four morlock brutes. The snake is apparently the model for the various iconography that the heroes have seen in possession of the morlocks.

The instant they see that the intruders are not morlocks of their tribe, the snake hisses and the morlocks roar in fury.

Morlocks: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Snake-thing: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Grum: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Benedict: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
William: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Amkarang: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Aerel: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Haela: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

The morlocks begin frothing at the mouth and move to protect their goddess.

You're up!!

Sovereign Court

Half-Orc Dragonheir Scion (11) Wounds (2) HP (112) Saves (13/7/8, +4 vs spells and SLAs) Init (+1) AC 30 (28/11/27, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (10) CMD (26) BB (4/5) Buffs (Ability Mastery +2 Str)

Grum smiled. The morlocks were in a defensive position. If they moved in, it would be a chokepoint, where the numbers of his group would count for little. It would be four against two. If the line couldn't be broken immediately, then whomever went would be in serious trouble.

"DIE IN THE NAME OF GORUM!" He roared, raising his blade high up, allowing them to see his blade as well as the electricity and fire than ran along its length. He trusted that Benedict could get their own formation ready.

Dazzling Display: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (17) + 16 = 33
For all enemies in 40ft, shaken if the 33 is higher than 10 + the target’s Hit Dice + the target’s Wisdom modifier. For every 5 points that he beats the DC by, increase the duration by 1 round


M Aasimar Fighter 8/Chevalier 3| HP 73/103 | AC 30 (32 vs goblins), T 14, FF 27, CMD 29 | Init +5 | Perception +19 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +13/+10/+7 (+4 vs mind-affecting, immune fear/poison) | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1 | BB 1/1 | Alter Self 1/1 | Active: None

"Aerel, William - take out the snake-woman! Amakarang, make room for Aerel!"

Benedict will act after Aerel (who probably wants to go after either William or Amkarang make room for him).


Male Human Fighter 11| AC 26 T 16 FF 21 | HP 102/114| F +10 R +9 W +5; +3 vs Fear | Init +5 | Perc +16

William seeing the need for as many attacks as possible quickly casts Haste on the entire party and says "This should speed things up!"


Male Elf Fighter (archer)/rogue* 11 | AC 23 (25 with buckler), T 17, F 17, CMD 29 | F 10 R 11 W 7 | hp 57/81 | Init +6 | Perc +25, +30 vs traps, darkvision 60', see invisibility/ethereal | Effects:

Looking up from where he'd been kneeling before the lock, Aerel says, "Yeah, that's my signal."

Intent: Move back from the door, ready bow if I have the actions to do so. I assume I lack the actions to open fire yet - which conveniently allows any attempts at negotiation to go before I can attack.

I think my Dexterity damage probably puts me behind Amkarang and William in initiative, but my action shouldn't interrupt theirs, anyway.


M Aasimar Fighter 8/Chevalier 3| HP 73/103 | AC 30 (32 vs goblins), T 14, FF 27, CMD 29 | Init +5 | Perception +19 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +13/+10/+7 (+4 vs mind-affecting, immune fear/poison) | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1 | BB 1/1 | Alter Self 1/1 | Active: None

@Aerel, you should be able to move back from the door while drawing your bow (move action) and also take a single shot (standard action).

Once Aerel moves, Benedict will move into his spot and share Lastwall Phalanx with the party as a standard action.

Haela will move to be adjacent to the archers (depending on where Aerel ends up), will share Shake it Off as as swift action, and will use Total Defense as her standard action.


Male Elf Fighter (archer)/rogue* 11 | AC 23 (25 with buckler), T 17, F 17, CMD 29 | F 10 R 11 W 7 | hp 57/81 | Init +6 | Perc +25, +30 vs traps, darkvision 60', see invisibility/ethereal | Effects:

I wasn't sure if I needed an action to stand.

Single shot, Point-Blank Shot with Deadly Aim: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (17) + 19 = 36

Damage: 1d8 + 5 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 5 + 6 + 1 = 19


Fighter 11 | 121 HP | AC 24 (25 in fortress mode, 28 w/ full attack), T 14, F 20, CMD 27| F 9 R 8 W 8 | Init +3 | Perc +11

Amkarang steps forward so he’s shoulder to shoulder with Grum, ”Alright, friend, let us be the rock they break against.” He shifts his grip to a reach position and readies to strike the first Morlock that gets within his reach. As the head of his hammer spins, it blurs the air with how fast it moves, ready to unleash the vengeance of Hei Feng himself.

Readied Attack, Power Attack: 1d20 + 17 - 3 ⇒ (20) + 17 - 3 = 34
Crit Confirm: 1d20 + 17 - 3 ⇒ (20) + 17 - 3 = 34
Damage: 2d8 + 16 + 18 ⇒ (4, 6) + 16 + 18 = 44


Aerel's arrow flies true and strikes the snake-woman, eliciting a loud hiss from her.

The snake creature chants a quick spell, and suddenly a mass of rubbery tentacles erupt from the ground! They grasp and coil around everyone in the far room trying to strangle everything in their reach!

CMB: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (20) + 14 = 34

Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Everyone in the area is grappled!

Grappled:

Grappled creatures cannot move and take a –4 penalty to Dexterity. A grappled creature takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls and combat maneuver checks, except those made to grapple or escape a grapple. In addition, grappled creatures can take no action that requires two hands to perform. A grappled character who attempts to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability must make a concentration check (DC 10 + grappler’s CMB + spell level), or lose the spell. Grappled creatures cannot make attacks of opportunity.

The morlock defenders hoot and holler while drawing hand axes from their belt! They take aim and fling their weapons at the lead enemies.

Ranged vs. Grum: 1d20 + 12 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 12 - 2 = 29
Damage: 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

Ranged vs. Grum: 1d20 + 12 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 12 - 2 = 24
Damage: 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

Ranged vs. Amkarang: 1d20 + 12 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 12 - 2 = 25
Damage: 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

Ranged vs. Amkarang: 1d20 + 12 - 2 ⇒ (2) + 12 - 2 = 12
Damage: 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10


M Aasimar Fighter 8/Chevalier 3| HP 73/103 | AC 30 (32 vs goblins), T 14, FF 27, CMD 29 | Init +5 | Perception +19 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +13/+10/+7 (+4 vs mind-affecting, immune fear/poison) | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1 | BB 1/1 | Alter Self 1/1 | Active: None

Nice roll on the spell!

"Escape and fall back - we'll see if we can get rid of these tentacles."

CMB vs DC 24, Haste: 1d20 + 15 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 15 + 1 = 29

Benedict breaks free and moves north out of the area.


F Dwarf Ftr9 | AC 27, T12, FF25, CMD 25 | HP 76/86 | F +10 R +6 W +6 (+2 vs spells/SLA/poison, +teamwork) | Move 20' | Init +2 | Per +8 (Darkvision)

Haela uses a swift action to enter Dwarven Hatred Style, then tries to break free.
CMB vs DC 24, Haste: 1d20 + 13 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 13 + 1 = 33

She too moves north.


M Aasimar Fighter 8/Chevalier 3| HP 73/103 | AC 30 (32 vs goblins), T 14, FF 27, CMD 29 | Init +5 | Perception +19 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +13/+10/+7 (+4 vs mind-affecting, immune fear/poison) | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1 | BB 1/1 | Alter Self 1/1 | Active: None

Edit: Benedict and Haela, now free of the grasping spell, remain in the area of the Black Tentacles, defending the archers until they can make it to safety.

Not going to leave the area before the archers do, since they are more physically vulnerable. Also, our presence boosts the Lastwall Phalanx effect, which as a Sacred bonus to AC against attacks from evil foes should apply to CMD against the Black Tentacles from an evil caster.


Male Elf Fighter (archer)/rogue* 11 | AC 23 (25 with buckler), T 17, F 17, CMD 29 | F 10 R 11 W 7 | hp 57/81 | Init +6 | Perc +25, +30 vs traps, darkvision 60', see invisibility/ethereal | Effects:

Aerel attempts to free himself from the grasping limbs.

CMB vs DC 24, Haste: 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 12 + 1 = 22

Should have done my original plan. Does my ability to make multiple attacks allow me to attempt a second CMB at a penalty? CMD with penalties and bonuses is currently 25 before Lastwall Phalanx.

Iterative CMB vs DC 24, Haste - if that's a thing: 1d20 + 12 + 1 - 5 ⇒ (13) + 12 + 1 - 5 = 21

RNG tease


M Aasimar Fighter 8/Chevalier 3| HP 73/103 | AC 30 (32 vs goblins), T 14, FF 27, CMD 29 | Init +5 | Perception +19 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +13/+10/+7 (+4 vs mind-affecting, immune fear/poison) | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1 | BB 1/1 | Alter Self 1/1 | Active: None

@Aerel, you drank a potion of Heroism to do the trap, so that is another +2 and you make it exactly on your first roll. You have a move left. Once free of the grapple, I think your CMD is 27 before Lastwall Phalanx.

Sovereign Court

Half-Orc Dragonheir Scion (11) Wounds (2) HP (112) Saves (13/7/8, +4 vs spells and SLAs) Init (+1) AC 30 (28/11/27, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (10) CMD (26) BB (4/5) Buffs (Ability Mastery +2 Str)

Using his blade, Grum proceeded to hack away at the tentacles that kept him in place…

CMB: + 11 (BaB) +5 (Str) +1 (Haste) +2 (Greater Weapon Focus) +1 (Enchantment) = +20

CMB: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (5) + 20 = 25

…cutting his way free, he withdrew towards Benedict and Haela. ”Gather round.” He said, holding his hand to his bleeding side, a look of rage on his face. ”I’ll teleport us right behind the bastards. Then we tear them to pieces.”

6,151 to 6,200 of 6,550 << first < prev | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Shisumo's Why Can't Fighters Have Nice Hobgoblins? Ironfang Invasion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.