Why Can't Fighters Have Nice Hobgoblins? Ironfang Invasion

Game Master Stalwart

Day 5, Week 2

Starday, 29 Gozran, 4717 AR

Militia Population: 28
Remaining Provision Points: 117
Livestock: 22 animals

maps
Loot list


151 to 200 of 2,672 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Amkarang moves next to the front door, ready to attack anyone who comes out.


Jie:
Listening at the door gains you no information, but the muddy ground, still wet from the rains yesterday, does allow you to pick up on several humanoid footprints moving from the shrine to the small shack. Exact numbers are difficult to come by, but at least four or five, and none appear to have been wearing the distinctive pointed-toe boots favored by hobgoblin cobblers.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 26/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

I imagine Grum is no longer at the front door, but I'll let him move. And we'll see if Lissa wants in on this plan.
Benedict moves to the front door with no armor or weapons in hand. Once everybody is in place, he intends to fling open the doors; he has one plan if sees hobgoblins and another if he sees something else (he thinks something is a bit off here).


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Jie looks around, trying to catch the eye of someone in the group. Not wanting to talk to capture the attention of any hobs inside she sees Lissa.
When I posted this Lissa's chit was still LOS.
She waves at Lissa to catch her attention, points to the shack, holds up four fingers then points to a commoner by Lissa and shrugs.
Bluff to send nonverbal message: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

If Lissa can possibly interpret this here is her message:

Jie thinks there may be about 4 civilians in the shack but they could be hobgoblins

Sovereign Court

Wounds (21) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (1/1)

Grum sighs and says "Play stupid games, get stupid prizes. Let's go in and see what we get!" With that he rotates his shoulder, loosening his muscles for the conflict to come.


Since it looks like you're going with Benedict's plan, I moved Grum and Lissa appropriately.

Amkarang's Stealth: 1d20 ⇒ 15
Grum's Stealth: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (15) - 3 = 12

Benedict throws open the doors of the Shrine. Wooden statues of both Erastil and Desna — both now chopped and marred by hobgoblin weapons — stand in their own alcoves in the northwest end of the shrine, while alcoves on either side serve as general shrines to the variety of other gods and spirits worshiped by the locals. A dozen human bodies lie scattered across the floor and pews, and have been left to rot as invaders go about tearing apart the building. There are two: an Ironfang recruit dressed and armed as the others you have seen so far have been, and a hobgoblin female in padded armor, carrying a pair of axes (one larger than the other). They appear to have been busy tearing down colorful banners, smashing offerings, and chopping at the statues and altars with their weapons, and indeed the lightly-armored hob is busy trying to wrest her weapon from the altar where the head is currently buried when Benedict opens the doors.

Initiatives!
Grum: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Lissa: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Jie: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Benedict: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Amkarang: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Ironfang recruit: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Semfet: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Initiative order:
Amkarang, then
Ironfang recruit, then
Grum and Jie, then
the Ironfang scout, then
Lissa and Benedict.

GM Screen:
Recruit's Perception check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Semfet's Perception check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

Amkarang, you are up first. You do not get the impression that the nearest hobgoblin has noticed you, although you're much less confident about the scout toward the rear of the Shrine.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 26/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

I was waiting until Lissa chimed in. I understand botting people but it is a holiday weekend.
The point of Lissa and Amkarang flanking the doors was that with reach weapons they could be set back from the doors and so entirely out of sight to anybody inside the shrine. I'd have wanted to rearrange things a bit after I knew if Lissa was in, but no matter.
Benedict's plan was to open the doors, pretend to be a civilian surprised at the hobgoblins, fall back, and start begging for his life in goblin to lure them out (since some soldiers have bows but are looking for slaves, he doesn't want to give them a reason to shoot him).
Can Benedict take any other actions in the round he opens the doors? Take a move action or 5' step, or shout something? Resolving the initiation of combat in situations like this is done differently by various GMs.


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

I'm fine with it but won't be posting today, so bot me if it goes fast. Family time this weekend.


Benedict, you can take a five foot step back immediately after you open the doors, but pleading for your life is a Bluff check, and skill use definitely requires an action in initiative.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 26/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Okay, then he will 5' step back and to the left.


Waiting a bit longer to move things forward on account of the holiday... I will probably bot, though, if we get to the end of the business day without a post.


Amkarang delays, waiting for the Ironfang warrior to fall into their trap.

The Ironfang Legionnaire, seeing only the seemingly-retreating Benedict outside the shrine, immediately charges down the central aisle of the shrine, clearly intent on Benedict's blood. However, the soldier lets his enthusiasm get the best of him, and Benedict easily ducks the wild swing.

Ironfang recruit's longsword attack with charge: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 2 = 11, damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

Amkarang, Grum, and Jie. Please note that Grum and Amkarang now have flanks on the Ironfang recruit in the doorway.


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Amkarang attacks the hobgoblin, trying to trip it as it runs by. However, his hammer arm is still rusty from the years of non-use and can't quite trip the recruit.

Trip: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11


Ah ah, not so, for not only does the +2 from flank apply to your roll, good sir, but also you are Stealthed against the hob and it is therefore denied its Dex bonus to CMD against you. Thus...

Shocked and surprised, the hobgoblin gives out a cry as it slams face first into the wooden deck surrounding the Shrine. Amkarang pulls back his hammer with a pleased expression.

Sovereign Court

Wounds (21) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (1/1)

Hit with flank and prone: 1d20 + 4 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 4 + 2 = 15
Damage: 2d4 + 10 ⇒ (2, 3) + 10 = 15

A miss, unless he doesn't get Dex bonus against this swing

As the hobgoblin charged Grum prepared to swing...at where the legionnaire was coming, not where he was going to be after getting tripped. At the last moment he saw what was happening and tried to change the direction of his swing...


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

At the sound of combat, Jie opens the door.
Standard action to open door
When she sees the hobgoblins with the axes she doesn't advance into the shrine like she had planned. She takes position in the doorway to minimize the hobgoblins room to wield two weapons if he heads her way.
Move action to position herself so that if the hobgoblin moves towards her, it will have to fight in the threshold. I'm assuming the Jie, being alone has no townsfolk to do the whole aid another maneuver, right?


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 26/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Actually, Grum might hit on a 15 because the recruit is taking an AC penalty for having charged.

Sovereign Court

Wounds (21) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (1/1)

Good point! Though my dice are trying really hard to make this difficult


He is suffering a penalty for charging - which I forgot to apply to Amkarang's attack, not that it mattered - but he also was denied his Dex bonus against Grum as well, since both of you beat his Perception check.

Benedict's ambush could not have gone better had he scripted it line by line. At first the Ironfang legionnaire was hurled to the ground by Amkarang's hammer; now Grum's blade cuts deep into the exposed back of the hobgoblin warrior, nearly removing his arm at the shoulder.

Jie: the followers come online at Round Two of each combat, so not yet, but by your next action one might be close enough to help.

The lightly-armored hobgoblin with the two axes has to spend several long moments wrenching her battleaxe free of the shrine's central altar. Once she finally gets it out, she readies it and her handaxe together and turns toward Jie.

Getting the axe unstuck is a one-round action. Benedict, Lissa, you're up.


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

Glaive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11+whatever bonus/malus
Damage: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Lissa moves to bring her glaive into play without threatening her allies, and slams it down at the ground where she expects the fallen hob to be, then pushes at his limp body trying to lever him inside the shrine.

"Quickly, drag him inside, and everyone else too."

Adjust my positioning to put me outside if that doesn't kill him.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 26/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

"Jie, shut the door! Nobody to evacuate!"
Having done his role as bait, Benedict regroups with the civilians and picks up his shield and sword.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

It looks like Jie will get to act before the scout also.
As Benedict yells for her to shut the door, Jie hesitates, thinking. "Really, does he not think that I can handle one hobgoblin." But as she looks over the situation, she realizes that shutting the door will send the hobgoblin into a fight in which he is outnumbered. So cursing under her breath she shuts the door.
Standard action to shut door.
Not wanting to yell back at Benedict since she's not sure if any hobs are in the shack she looks around for anything that can be used to block the door.
Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

If anything is available:

She grabs the object and jams it against or under the door.
Hopefully only a move action

Nothing within reach:

She draws her dagger in her left hand while leaning on the door with all of her 130 pounds of weight


Jie leans against the door with all of her might.

Amkarang, Grum.

Sovereign Court

Wounds (21) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (1/1)

Intimidate to demoralize: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

With bloody sword raised, Grum rushes into the room. With a roar he makes a practice swing, sending a spray of blood and causing the blade to grow slightly.

20foot move kinda restricts my options


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Amkarang runs into the room, lashing out at the hobgoblin with his meteor hammer but hitting just short of her, having misjudged how much chain to let out.

Meteor Hammer: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13


Grum's roar is not unimpressive, and the scout seems deeply troubled by it. Nonetheless, she avoids Amkarang's blow and steps forward to meet him in kind. Neither axe manages to strike home, though.

Amkarang, I moved you forward another 5 feet because you weren't actually in range of her with your hammer where you placed yourself. That does mean she can 5 ft step to attack back, though.

Battleaxe attack, shaken: 1d20 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 3 - 2 = 6, damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

Handaxe attack, shaken: 1d20 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 - 2 = 8, damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Lissa, Benedict?


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Whoops, I spaced out and briefly forgot how to do reach. Fine with me if she steps forward, I can try out a double attack.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Jie jams the dagger under the door and tells some of the townsfolk to hold the door closed. She then starts to head towards the front door.
Diplomacy on civilians: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
Move Action to talk civilians into holding door. Rest of the action to jam the dagger under it and head towards the front of the shrine. It's probably a standard action to jam the dagger, so I doubt she'll be able to move this round.


The Diplomacy action is a free action, as I noted before. You've still got a move action if you want it, Jie.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

With a nod to the civilians helping her, Jie moves as fast as she can towards the front door of the shrine. Shutting the door probably sealed the hobs fate, but she still felt like she had run away from the fight. Well maybe the others would let her get in a few blows.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 26/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

It's three on one in there, with our heaviest hitters. No sense getting in the way, especially if they need a set of eyes here.
Benedict guards the civilians, trying to get them to at least ready stones or knives to throw if more hobgoblins show up. He tries to herd them around the side of the shrine.
"Sorry Jie, couldn't risk it escaping."


Benedict and Jie:
As you get the civilians off the street and into the shadows between the shrine and the caretaker's shack, you notice the front door of the shack open a bit to let someone peer out. It's a human woman, a bit on the shorter side, with curly blonde hair, pale skin and a terrified yet determined expression. Her eyes widen as she sees the half-dozen refugees crowding into the space between the buildings, and the door opens wider, revealing several other people huddled behind her.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Jie stops running around the building. "So, its dead then." she asks as she starts to head back towards the new group of refugees. "Hello, I am Chang Jie with the Nirmathan Postal Authority. We plan on rescuing as many as we can and then going into the Fangwood Forest. You are welcome to join us."
I actually think we're still in rounds so I'm not actually moving her chit.


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

Actions/Dice:

Move Closer
StandardAttack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Dice no longer love lissa

"Hobs and axes and no time to teach them respect for a shrine. We need to clear this filth out quickly."


Three on one and the Ironfang warrior is clearly still worried about her odds, but so far she holds the three warriors at bay, blocking Lissa's blows just as she did Amkarang's.

Grum and Amkarang. This is the last round for the scout to be shaken.

Sovereign Court

Wounds (21) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (1/1)

Hit: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Damage: 2d4 + 10 ⇒ (4, 4) + 10 = 18

Grum steps forward and swings. With such a large weapon and in tight quarters, there was little room to be elegant. He swung with all of his might, with a blow that would doubtlessly have cut the foe in twain...if it had connected.


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Amkarand briefly switches his grip on his meteor hammer, before attacking the hobgoblin scout. One iron sphere swings wide but the other connects with the scout, crashing into her leg.

Attack 1: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Attack 2: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


Amkarang's hammer clips the scout's ankle, and she half-spins away, but manages to convert the motion into a sweep of her axes toward Amkarang's legs in turn. The ex-pirate dodges the heavier weapon, but the smaller one nearly slices through his hamstring.

Battleaxe attack, shaken: 1d20 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 3 - 2 = 6, damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Handaxe attack, shaken: 1d20 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 - 2 = 18, damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

You guys can go again!

GM Spoiler:
Semfet 17/19hp

Sovereign Court

Wounds (21) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (1/1)

Acrobatics to avoid AOO: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (11) - 2 = 9
Hit: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Confirm: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Damage: 2d4 + 10 ⇒ (2, 1) + 10 = 13
Crit: 2d4 + 10 ⇒ (3, 3) + 10 = 16

Seeing the hobgoblin go for his comrade, Grum makes a rush to get behind her. Knowing that their issue was facing a warrior head on, he planned to put her on two fronts so that she could not defend from both sides. Then, when she turned to guard against Amkarang again, he would strike...it was risky, but the fight was taking too long and every second wasted here meant that it was more likely for the horde to fall upon them. Especially as they were picking up more and more refugees...


Scout's AoO: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23, damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

The risky maneuver is not without its price - the Ironfang warrior once again demonstrates her lethal skill with her axe, cutting a deep wound into Grum's stomach as he tries to maneuver past her - but the result was everything Grum could have hoped for, as he attacks her suddenly-exposed back with fatal skill, all but cutting her body in half and dropping her lifeless body to the floor in a spray of blood.

Outside, Jie and Benedict greet the blonde woman and more than half a dozen more refugees with her as they hustle out of the shack and join their fellow Phaendarites in the shadows between the buildings. The woman introduces herself as Rhyna, the assistant to Noelan Stagsward, who had been the Shrine's caretaker before tonight. "He hurried us into the shack," Rhyna sobs, "and went to try to defend the Shrine alone. I knew it was foolish, but he wouldn't... he wouldn't..." She can't finish the sentence, and grabs hold of Aubrin for support while she sobs briefly.

It's clear the hobs had already begun claiming spoils from their pillaging, as there is a large sack on the floor next to the altar that contains an elm wand, a silver cup, a hand-sized darkwood carving of a butterfly, three bottles of Oldlaw whiskey, a large quantity of gold dust, 27 small semiprecious stones, and 76 gp, as well as a round ivory amulet engraved with Erastil’s bow-and-arrow holy symbol strung on a leather thong.

Knowledge (local), DC 10:
The ivory amulet belongs to a local hunter and woodswoman named Lirosa, who hangs it in the Shrine to "recharge" whenever she returns to Phaendar and collects it again as she leaves.

Perception, DC 18:
The altar contains a hidden alcove, within which you find a large quantity of silver dust, another wand (this one made with willow) and a necklace or pendant of some kind.

Knowledge (religion) or Perform (oratory), DC 16:
You know, and may perform if you wish, a brief ceremony - it will take much less than a minute total - to formally "close down" the shrine, leaving the holy elements untainted by the desecration that is no doubt shortly to be performed here.

Sovereign Court

Wounds (21) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (1/1)

K-Local: 1d20 ⇒ 16
Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 13

Grum grunted as he pulled the axe out of his armor, which was now stained with his blood. Looking down at the hobgoblin's corpse he announced "This was a true warrior! Her axe belongs to her. Leave it with her, so that she might carry it into whatever afterlife she has earned." He then went and retrieved the amulet of Erastril. "And this, it is not ours either. It belongs to Lirosa, a local woodsman. Heard about her from the peasant whose cart I rode on to get here. We should return it to her as a sign of goodwill, if we are going to flee into her forest." With that he took a step toward the door and stumbled, clutching his side. With gritted teeth he righted himself and kept walking.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

K/Local: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Pe/Oratory: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Jie retrieves her dagger from under the door then opens it and herds the new and old refugees inside out of the street. She winces as she sees the carnage and wounds that Grum has suffered. "Aubrin, you might want to help the big guy." she says. She then goes into the shack, takes a good look around for anything else that might be amiss
Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
She then returns to the shrine, shutting the door behind her.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 26/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

"Well struck, Grum. I know you did not want this fight, and I thank you for your valor. Aubrin, have you more of Cayden's grace? Both Grum and Amkarang are wounded.
Rhyna, we will do our best to keep you and these people safe. I am Benedict, the shepherd boy from the mountains who went off to Absalom for several years."

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Perform(Oratory): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Benedict will stop long enough to put on one of the sets of studded leather. Everything has been moving so quickly he hasn't had time before now, but it should take a couple of rounds to get everyone ready to move.


Aubrin lifts her tankard and toasts your success so far, and healing energies wash across all of you for 2d6 ⇒ (4, 3) = 7 hit points back.

DM Screen:
Aubrin 21/42hp and 5/7 channels remaining.


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

dice purgatory:
K.local: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
K.Religion: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Someone else find the stuff, lissa is in dice karma

Lissa looks at the hob, and the axe, then buries it in the hobs chest and walks out.

"A fine fighter, to stand so long against three. We must make haste, and I pray that we not meet many more like her. Aubrin if you want any of the sacrament, you'll have to take it yourself. I wasn't inducted just yet, so I have no idea what would be valuable to a priest and I see no sign of a healer's apothecary."

Lissa moves onward, smiling grimly as she notes the additions to their group. More saved, but how many already lost.

Sovereign Court

Wounds (21) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (1/1)

Grum gave Benedict a toothy grin, and appreciatively slapped Aubrin on the back. The bleeding had stopped, and he was left with little more than a bruise.

DC18 perception tests for fighters is apparently pretty darn hard


You do have a whole bunch of followers...


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 26/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Good point.
Benedict addresses the growing band.
"We have to move quickly. Anything sacred or holy or even useful in here will be looted by those monsters, so we may as well keep it in Nirmathi hands. Anybody know of or see anything we missed?
Who can use a bow? We have two spares here."

Or four bows if Grum and Lissa offer the ones they claimed. Plus the heavier-draw composite bow.
He turns to his new allies.
"The Trading Company is likely to be a priority target for the enemy as it is for us. We will do better as a unit than as five individual warriors. Should we have a formation or tactics? I can join the front rank or provide ranged support. I don't have a reach weapon for second rank."
He pauses and looks a bit embarrassed.
"I... I learned this stuff in school. From Iomedae types. I know I'm not in charge. I've never even fought in a real battle, but I think it makes sense."

Sovereign Court

Wounds (21) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (1/1)

"Stop mewling like a kitten. Of course you're in charge! Because you're taking it, and we need someone to do so. Now everyone, you heard the boss! Anything you don't want to see defiled in this shrine, grab it now. If you can use a bow, grab one. If you need a sword, by the gods, grab one so you can die on your feet instead of your knees! And then we do as Benedict said. We go to the Trading Company, kill whatever hobknobs we have, save whomever is in there, and then we get the hell out of his town with whatever we can save. Now let's MOVE!"

Something charisma related?: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
That's a 19 if a large half-orc who just cut someone in half while taking an axe to the stomach inspires the refugees out of fear instead of motivation

You got the bluff and diplomacy. I got the intimidate. Together we'll keep this mob in line


Minshiel Perception Aid Another: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Phersi Perception with Aid: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 6 + 2 = 24

Two of your followers have elven blood, and together they swiftly search the area. There were indeed yet secrets to uncover, apparently: the altar contains a hidden alcove, within which you find a large quantity of silver dust, another wand (this one made with willow) and a necklace or pendant of some kind.

151 to 200 of 2,672 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Shisumo's Why Can't Fighters Have Nice Hobgoblins? Ironfang Invasion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.