Why Can't Fighters Have Nice Hobgoblins? Ironfang Invasion

Game Master Stalwart

Day 5, Week 2

Starday, 29 Gozran, 4717 AR

Militia Population: 28
Remaining Provision Points: 117
Livestock: 22 animals

maps
Loot list


101 to 150 of 2,555 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Intimidate: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

"Then leave him to die. The hobknobs have already reached this building, and once they find the ones we killed they'll certainly take vengeance on whomever they find. Clidon can distract them while we escape."

Grum made sure that he spoke up when he said this, so that Clidon would certainly hear.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Does Benedict know Clidon by name or reputation? Could he name a mutual acquaintance, or does he know if Clidon has family?


"You wouldn't dare!" says the voice inside the room, and the door flies open again, this time to reveal another human man, a bit older and much nicer dressed than Farrow. "You can't just leave me here as... as... bait!"

Farrow just shakes his head, exasperated. "Then get your wares and move, you useless spade for brains!"

Grumbling, Clidon rapidly grabs up his traveling pack and lifts a long pole off of a rack, with dozens of thin strips of dried, seasoned meat hanging from it. He hoists it across his shoulders with practiced ease, and although he still seems sour-faced, you hear no more protests from him as he and Farrow follow you back down the stairs to join the others waiting in the kitchen. Jet and Aubrin seem pleased by the men's arrival, the innkeeper going so far as to give Clidon a quick hug.

Okay, you're all gathered here, and the Taproot Inn has revealed all her secrets to you - where are you headed next?


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Jie turns around and walks back to Farrow to help with the chest. "May I?' she asks politely, but doesn't wait for an answer as she opens it up to look inside.

If it would be of use in the wild or if it is fine clothing:
She sheathes her sword, grasps her end of the chest with both hands and lifts, helping Farrow to take it down stairs. She continues to talk to Clidon, using Diplomacy while Grum uses the more direct approach. "Your friend is right. Staying here is certain death. Your chances are better with us."

If it is useless where we are going:
She frowns. "Oh Farrow. I'm so sorry, but this really isn't worth taking. It is wonderful product, but it won't be of much use where we'll going and it will slow us down."

Diplomacy on whichever subject she is talking to.: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15

Oops, I was too slow! :)


It's dried venison.


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

Lissa pulls on her shield and sheaths her glaive, then in her best sergeants voice addresses the civilians.

"This isn't going to be easy. If you cant fight, stay out of the way. We have to circle the village to get to the bridge, and we're not leaving the smith behind. So we're going this way, in a quiet quick run until we get there. If we run into hobs, your job is to be quiet, stay safe, and haul the wounded while getting out of sight. Pay attention to these supplies, we may not have much more than this, so carry them securely. Don't put stuff down. We'll make camp in the woods tonight and we can argue about anything that bothers you then. For now, our lives depend on this. If you f~~@ up, we all die. So don't. You can do this. We're going to live. We're going to win.". She slips out the door at the signal, running down the alley for the next door.

amend if needed

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

"Ha! Well, I never wanted to live forever anyways. Let's go!" With a smile on his face, Grum follows Lisa down the alley and towards the next door.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Jie is afraid of mounting Feng, the horse is going to draw to much attention as it is and a mounted rider would be sure to provoke a response. Instead she stays with the civilians, leading her horse and tries to subtly herd the noncombatants after Lissa and Grum.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Benedict glares in Lissa's direction, then turns to Aubrin.
"I don't know who these strangers are, but it appears they are our allies. Still, if anybody is in charge, it should be you. Do you think our plan is sound?"
As Benedict knows some of the locals, and is reasonably good at talking to people, he will attempt to persuade any who are reluctant to follow the odd foreigners.


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Amkarang whirls his meteor hammer and smiles, muttering a prayer to Hei Feng in Tian. He looks at the crowd and says loudly, "What my friend here says is true. You have a fighting chance to get out of here if you stick with us. Come on then, we move or we die, make your pick.


The group of followers you have assembled don't seem to know exactly what to make of Lissa's speech, but with the support of Amkarang - and the somewhat less enthusiastic endorsement of Benedict - they are nonetheless willing to go with you.

Aubrin looks doubtfully at Benedict when he nominates her as the leader. "I can barely hold my feet, young man, let alone lead us to freedom. Tonight, I look to you and these others to get us to the forest. What happens after that..." she shrugs, and Benedict can't help being suspicious that Aubrin is avoiding claiming a leadership role simply because she doesn't fully expect to live long enough to reach the safety of the Fangwood.

Outside, Phaendar is a maelstrom of blood and chaos. Several buildings are on fire, and troops of hobgoblins sweep through the streets, running down fleeing villagers or knocking in doors in search of captives or treasure to loot from the dying town.

GM Screen:
Encounter chance 1d100 ⇒ 21; encounter 1d8 ⇒ 1

Perception, DC 17:
You hear snuffling and a low growl coming from a darkened alleyway as you pass the entrance - glancing down the alley, you see an Ironfang-trained battle wolf sniffing around a cart at the alley's far end. There is no sign that the wolf has noticed you, but you catch sight of two pairs of crouching feet on the wagon's far side, and realize that the wolf has cornered some villagers who are now cowering behind the wagon. As the wolf is clearly focused on tracking down its prey, it presents no threat to you or your group if you choose to move along.

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 11

Grum continues with the plan, completely unaware of, well, that which he doesn't see.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Not aware of anything amiss.
"Aubrin, I understand you are wounded, so I will not ask you to fight, but your guidance is valuable. I have no combat experience, and these others are all outlanders. The locals trust you, myself included. So at least speak up if you think we are being overly reckless. And if we make it to the woods, teach us."


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

Lissa holds at the edge of the alley, and motions the group past her toward the shrine with their flock of followers. She nods at Benedict and Jie as they go by, trusting them to see the group to the shrine safely. Then she grabs grum and amkarangs shoulder, and motions down the alley towards the wolf.

A moment later she charges the beast, trusting her new friends to remain silent.

dice gods love lissa. If you want to be part of the fight with the Wolf, amend my post as required. I think we ought to keep the followers out of it.


The alley is about 50 feet long, with the cart taking up the last 10 feet of it. It's about 10 feet wide and the wolf is 40 feet away. As the wolf has no noticed you, you have a surprise round - one standard or move action only.


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Amkarang is similarly distracted but notices Lissa's motion.

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Well, the things that come from having a party of fighters.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Chang Jie definitely notice the dire situation of the citizens behind the wagon. She says "Wolf in Alley along with people" as she sends an arrow down the alleyway.
Attack Wolf: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

In a low voice to the civilians,
"Keep moving towards the shrine. Three or four can handle one wolf and save those people."
Benedict will take point, if Jet or Aubrin can bring up the rear so we don't lose any stragglers.


Now that Lissa has brought the situation to everyone's attention, please feel free to read the spoiler.

Jet's arrow comes nowhere near its target, while Benedict and Aubrin continue to shepherd the Phaendarites on toward the Shrine.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Jie curses under her breath at her poorly aimed shot.

If the wolf is in melee when Jie's next action comes around:

She stores her short bow and draws her sword, warily approaching the fight.

If not in melee:

Jie lets loose another arrow.Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5

Not really her day


Grum and Amkarang delay, still trying to get up to speed on what's happening. Lissa takes a full move, in keeping with her post - she is now 30 feet down the alley from the rest of you.

Initiatives:
Jie: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Amkarang: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Lissa: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Grum: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Wolf: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Initiative Order:
Amkarang, Lissa, Jie, then
the wolf, then
Grum.

Amkarang, Lissa, you're up. Jie, I suspect melee combat will have commenced before your actual initiative comes up, so we can assume that you're taking your option 1 from above.


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Amkarang runs forward and swings his meteor hammer at the wolf, the iron ball hurtling through the air with tremendous force. He smiles and roars, "By Nalinvati's coils, it feels good to finally fight again."

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

I'll move forward so I can hit the wolf with my 10' reach, and swing at it.

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Seeing the wolf and identifying it as a threat Grum swings at it:

Hit: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Dmg: 2d4 + 8 ⇒ (1, 2) + 8 = 11

Well then...


Lissa delays.

Amkarang is first into the fray against the wolf, and even as the metal ball of his meteor hammer strikes home against the battle beast, there is a small cry of relief from behind the cart. Jie makes her way up the alley to support Lissa and Amkarang, but it is the ex-pirate that draws the wolf's ire as it spins on him, growling, and then leaps. Savage jaws clamp down on Amkarang's thigh and with a shout of pain, the warrior falls to the ground.

Bite attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21, damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8 plus trip: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Grum runs up next to the fallen pirate and attacks the wolf with his falchion, but the animal rolls beneath the attck and snaps bloody teeth in his direction.

Lissa and Jie, Amakrang and Grum have filled the alleyway at this point - you need reach, range, or to risk an AoO if you want to attack the wolf. Lissa, Jie, Amkarang, you can all go now.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Jie steps 5ft to make her way around and interpose herself between the wolf and the civilians. She darts in and hacks at the wolf.

Attack with Longsword: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

crit confirmation: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
additional critical damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7


Was that risking the AoO, Jie?


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

Attack the thing
Attack:: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Damage: kunai, cold iron: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Lissa moves in, her shield making space and jabs her fist, the kunai clenched tight, against the side of the wolf.


Wolf's AoO on Lissa: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18, damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Lissa's wall of steel shields her from the wolf's fangs, and Jie rushes in behind her while the animal is distracted. Kunai and longsword both find their targets, and the wolf's growls turn from threat to pain. Crying in agony, the animal tries to flee by leaping over Amkarang and making for the alley mouth. The prone pirate catches the wolf as it leaps, though, slamming it into the side of the alley and keeping it from leaving.

Acrobatics to move through Amkarang's square: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

That provokes AoOs from, well, basically everyone. Murder the wolf at your leisure.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

No attack of opportunity on her. I misread your first post. Just use her roll to hit for her attack of opportunity.


Okay, clarifying post, since I seem to have not been making sense. Here's what just happened:

Grum and Amkarang filled the alley, which is only 10 feet wide. The wolf was directly in front of (the prone) Amkarang, since it had just attacked him. There was no way to get to the wolf without a reach weapon, a ranged weapon, or moving through Grum's space or Amkarang's, which would have provoked an AoO.

Both Jie and Lissa basically said they wanted to get into melee. Since I was waiting for a clarification about risking the AoO from Jie when Lissa posted, I decided that Lissa went ahead, trusting in her absurdly high AC from her tower shield to prevent the wolf from hitting her. Lissa moved, the wolf took its AoO, Lissa's shield kept her safe. Jie then moved as well, assuming (rightly) that the wolf did not have Combat Reflexes. Then both Lissa and Jie attacked the wolf, using the attack rolls they posted, and both hit (Jie did not crit).

The wolf was badly hurt and not interested in fighting to the death, so it attempted to withdraw over Amkarang. This required an Acrobatics check from the wolf, DC 17 (CMB 16 + 5 [moving through space] - 4 [prone]), which the wolf failed. Thus it wasn't able to get past Amkarang, and provokes from everyone who threatens it - which is basically everyone. So Lissa, Jie, Grum, even Amkarang (though he's prone) can attack the wolf again if you wish to.

Clear now?


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Having been tripped by the wolf, Amkarang is startled but tries to attack the beast nonetheless.

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

Kunai: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Lissa tries to catch the wolf as it scampers past, but can't reach past her shield.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

I figured you'd just use the previous role to hit, I hate to waste a natural 20. But here goes.
Jie swings at the wolf as it scampers off.
Attack with Longsword: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

I guess the animal whisperer is fated to crit animals ironically

Crit comfirmation: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Crit damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


1 person marked this as a favorite.

You hit with the earlier roll too, that's why I didn't re-use it.

Jie cuts the wolf down, ending its misery, and its threat.

After a brief pause, two human women carefully raise their heads over the edge of the cart to peek out. One is middle-aged, the other just out of her teens, and they are clearly mother and daughter. "Oh, Vault of Ages, thank you!" the older woman cries. She runs to Lissa and gives her a hug, and her daughter does the same with Jie. After a few brief seconds, she has introduced herself as Tishuna and her daughter as Shillein, and you have also located some additional supplies in the cart to take with you.

Amkarang is badly wounded, but you have little trouble re-grouping with Benedict, Aubrin, and the others just before you all reach the Riverwood Shrine.

Aubrin has five cure light wounds potions, plus some spells and she can channel. Let me know what you'd like to have her do.


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

Onward to the shrine

Lissa smiles, then motions to the Shrine with a questioning look.

"Doesn't seem likely this is going to get any easier. Faster is probably better."


A wooden deck surrounds the front of an octagonal structure with broad archways leading into a place of worship. To its left stands a moss-encrusted stone monument. Carved birds, branches, and fruits decorate the wooden supports of the temple’s entryway. A dead villager is curled up on the wooden deck before the temple, and another Ironfang-trained wolf stands over it, savaging the remains to sate a ravenous hunger. Just to the northwest, a small shack is linked to the shrine by a short stone path.

Knowledge (local), DC 10:
The shack is the home of the shrine's caretaker, a man named Noelan.


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Amkarang clutches the large bite wound on his side and winces, "Gods, stings like seven daggers in the ribs. Would anyone mind healing me?"

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

K-Local: 1d20 ⇒ 4
Grum had no earthly clue as to who the shack belonged to. Still, he could recognize the threat posed by a ravenous wolf. Deciding that it was a threat to all who remained behind, and perhaps more importantly, that with Amkarang bleeding as he was, the creature might well decide to make a snack out of him as well, he charged right at it.

Hit: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Dmg: 2d4 + 10 ⇒ (2, 3) + 10 = 15


Aubrin converts a obscuring mist into a cure light wounds for Amkarang.

He gets 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 hit points back.


Ninja'd by Grum, and before I even had a chance to get the map up... LOL

Grum's charge cuts the wolf down in a single swing. From inside the shrine, he can hear more violence being done - weapons slamming into walls, pews, bodies.

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Well, you want a party of fighters? You get fighter solutions!

Looking up from the bloodied bodies at his feet, Grum could hear the sounds of violence. He hesitated for a moment before saying "Whomever is in the shrine is being slaughtered. We can't save everyone, and if we try we'll just end up being surrounded by the entire hogknob force. Their sacrifice will buy us time while we get who we can out of here. Let's move on."


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Knowledge-Local: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Benedict doesn't know the shrine; not a place he visits in Phaendar.
"Their sacrifice will buy us time? They did not volunteer for this. If we have a chance, we should try to save them."
Does it sound like a lot of soldiers, or a few?
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Grum scoffed. "Their sacrifice. Their misfortune. If we get bogged down we'll die just like the rest of this town. Better to find and save those who aren't already in the process of dying. Or would you rather take on the entire hobknob army? If so, by all means lets charge into every combat we come across so hobknob runners can bring reinforcements down on our heads. Hobknobs are disciplines, they aren't your usual orc savages. We can't assume that they'll keep fighting us in small groups of one's and two's..."


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Are the doors to the Shrine open?


Not currently.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

I assume the moss encrusted monument is the Green Faith shrine
K/Local: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Jie escorts Tishuna and Shillein to the rest of the group, arriving just in time to see Grum cut down the other wolf. As the others deal with the Shrine she goes to the shrine, kneels, pays her respect and looks for some birds.

If Birds are present:

She casts Speak with Animals and asks the birds for a favor. "Oh Bright Ones, would you be so kind to fly over to the river where the man's way crosses it, look around and come back to me. Don't get hurt, I merely want to know what the situation is there."
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12Her Handle Animal is 5 better than Diplomacy if that is what is needed.

If Birds not present:
She prays for guidance to keep the shrine and its environs from the depradations of the hobgoblins. Then heads into the shrine drawing her sword.


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Amkarang's eyes narrow and he roars with unexpected fury, "By Hei Feng's beard, we must save as many as we can. If we let them die we're no better than the hobgoblins!" With that, Amkarang starts spinning his meteor hammer and follows anyone else who's going into the shrine.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

"Amkarang, hold! If you and Lissa flank the door, out of sight, I may be able to draw them out and you can cut them down as they pass. Once they come to us, another can open a back door to lead the survivors out. Jie? Yes, yes, praise the gods, but people are dying in there.
Any other suggestions?
Grum... They won't send reinforcements unless a messenger escapes."


Actually, while you can hear the wet-sounding thunk of weapons hitting flesh, the expected cries of pain or agony aren't accompanying them.

Is everyone agreeing with Benedict's plan? If so, please place yourselves appropriately on the battle map - you should be able to edit it. (Let me know if that's not true.)


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Benedict's words strike home to Chang Jie. She nods and says. "I will cover the back door." She then heads around the side of the shrine, making as little noise as possible.
Stealth: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Once she arrives she listens at the door and checks the area for tracks to see how many hobgoblins came in this way or if anyone fled recently.
Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Survival: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

101 to 150 of 2,555 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Shisumo's Why Can't Fighters Have Nice Hobgoblins? Ironfang Invasion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.