Why Can't Fighters Have Nice Hobgoblins? Ironfang Invasion

Game Master Stalwart

Day 5, Week 2

Starday, 29 Gozran, 4717 AR

Militia Population: 28
Remaining Provision Points: 117
Livestock: 22 animals

maps
Loot list


201 to 250 of 2,538 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

GM Screen:
Encounter Chance: 1d100 ⇒ 29

A couple more minutes' travel brings you to the Phaendar Trading Company. As you go, you hear a loud roar and the clatter of lumber from the north; Ironfang siege engineers have begun knocking down buildings for wood and stone to build fortifications out of.

Fortunately, there is no sign of such activity nearby when you reach the trading company. A signpost by the road announces the clapboard wooden shop and barnlike smithy sharing a single large, stone wall to be the Phaendar Trading Company. The smithy’s double doors stand open, revealing a large, still-glowing forge within. Two slaughtered goats and a dead horse fill an adjacent animal pen. Many fresh scratches and dents mar the trading post’s heavy wooden door, and a chair leg juts through one broken window. Small flames lick at the thatch rooftop where a red-hot iron has been tossed. In the central courtyard between the animal pen and the shop, three Ironfang warriors, all bearing signs of injury, watch the flames flickering and slowly beginning to spread across the Trading Company's roof.

Initiatives!
Grum: 1d1 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Benedict: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Lissa: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Jie: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Amkarang: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21

Ironfang recruits: 1d20 ⇒ 4

Initiative order:
Jie, Amkarang, Lissa, Benedict, then
Ironfang recruits, then
Grum.

Jie, Amkarang, Lissa, Benedict, you guys are up.

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Initiative 2? My wounds were worse than I feared!


Oops. What about 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20 instead?

Everyone goes before the hobs.

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Much better! Now I need to find a Mithral Breastplate, as this 20ft move is killing me

Grum, see hobgoblins, rushes up towards the nearest one, his blade at the ready.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Back at the Shrine
Jie assures Bendict "I think you're the perfect person to be in charge." she says as she peers out at the Green Faith Shrine. "It's just too much in the open for me to try and talk to the birds. It would be sure to attract attention." she thinks as she helps distribute the weapons and armor to their growing band.
At the Trading Post.
Jie frowns at the carnage done to the horses as she sends an arrow at the rightmost hobgoblin.
Shortbow attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3
Unhappy with her shot she uses her now free hand to fast mount onto Feng.
Ride: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23
She flips into the saddle with ease while telling the civilians to start filling buckets with water from the trough.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

If she has a move action left to control Feng (Standard=Shoot Bow, Free=Fast Mount, Diplomacy ?):

She drives her horse towards the rightmost hob she missed 50' move, but I'm not moving her chit since I'm not sure she has enough time to do this. She won't charge, since she's definitely trying to avoid riding Lissa down.
Feng attack with hoof: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Damage: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Feng's AC is 11 with 15 HP

Ride check to avoid damage if neccessary.:

Ride: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

Feng's AC is 11 with 15 HP


Jie:
Did you change your mind about the birds because we moved on? Because we can definitely rewind to that if you want.

Jie's arrow misses its mark but she smoothly follows it up with a launching of Feng instead, and the horse's hoof catches the unprepared Ironfang warrior solidly on the shoulder. Unfortunately, whatever she was planning to call out to their companions is lost in the flurry of motions and sounds as she rides down the hobgoblins, leaving them still huddling back away from the fight. Reminder: you can't call on the followers until Round Two or later of a given encounter.

GM Screen:
Recruit #1 12/17 and sickened; recruit #2 12/17 and sickened; recruit #3 7/17 and sickened.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 21 (23 vs goblins), T 12, FF 18 CMD 20 | Init +3 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+4/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

"Jie, Grum, formation!"
Jie's going to get swarmed. If we had made them come to us we'd have the reach advantage from Lissa and Amkarang. Or we could have engaged them at range.
Grum, I think you moved the wrong icon.
Trying to protect Jie, Benedict moves up and attacks a hobgoblin.
Longsword: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Frustrated and distracted, he hits nothing.
Also, Grum, was that a single move and a ready to attack once one is in range? That's what seems to be implied by your post.


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Amkarang runs forward at the hobgoblin recruit, trying to hit it with his meteor hammer.

Attack: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 5 + 2 = 15
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Indeed, sorry will make ooc remarks so it is clear. And I didn't move any icons due to phone posting


Benedict's blade isn't effective, but Amkarang takes advantage of the legionnaire's surprise to land a solid blow on the back on his target's skull, making the Ironfang fighter reel.

GM Screen:
Recruit #1 2/17 and sickened; recruit #2 12/17 and sickened; recruit #3 7/17 and sickened.


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

Actions:
Glaive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
1d10 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Move - to the line
Standard - Glaive the hob

Lissa moves forward, her glaive catching the hob unexpectedly from the side.

"Finish this fast, we'll need to deal with that fire."


Lissa's glaive slashes at the same warrior that Amkarang attacked, and the combination is more than he can take - he crumples on the instant. The remaining two turn and attack Feng and Benedict respectively, despite the effect their injuries are having on them. Benedict easily parries the sloppy blow of his foe, but even with Jie trying to rein him away, the hob manages to land a decisive strike on the post carrier's steed.

Recruit #2 on Benedict, sickened: 1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (11) + 4 - 2 = 13, damage: 1d8 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 - 2 = 7
Recruit #3 on Feng, sickened: 1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 4 - 2 = 20, damage: 1d8 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 - 2 = 8

GM Screen:
fire spread: 1d100 ⇒ 73

You guys are up again.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 21 (23 vs goblins), T 12, FF 18 CMD 20 | Init +3 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+4/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Hopefully Jie can negate that hit.
He shouts back at the civilians,
"Buckets! Trough! Fire!"
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Benedict stabs at the hobgoblin that Feng wounded, trying to bring him down.
Longsword: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Well, at least the Diplomacy roll was good.


She rolled in the spoiler, and it wasn't good enough.

A couple of the civilians jerk in surprise at Benedict's shouting, and then they run to start putting the roof out, giving the melee in the center of the yard a wide berth. Benedict himself, though, continues his inconclusive fencing with the legionnaire, neither side able to land a blow.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

"Feng!' Jie cries as she tries to wheel him away from the hobgoblins blade. She gives a sympathetic cry of pain with Feng when he is hit. "Why you sorry..." The rest of her cry is lost as she spurs Feng on to attack.
Feng Hoof: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Feng Damage: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Feng Hoof: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Feng Damage: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
If this takes Recruit #3 down then Feng triumphantly steps 5' into his space, turning to the side to let Jie get a swing at Recruit #2
While Feng is stomping the hobgoblin, Jie draws her new longsword with her right hand and then swings at the hobgoblin in front of Benedict.
Longsword: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Ride check to avoid damage:

Ride: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

Feng's AC is 11 and has 7/15 HP


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

Glaive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Lissa steps forward, striking at the hob line again.


Jie's masterful command of her steed and Feng's own anger combine to literally crush their foe, a pair of heavy hooves trampling the legionnaire into the dirt. Jie's own strike with her longsword is not as effective, but Lissa steps up to fill the gap, gravely wounding the last remaining hobgoblin. She is still on her feet, but wobbles unsteadily, clearly aware that she is being rapidly surrounded.

Grum and Amkarang still to go.

GM Screen:
Recruit #2 4/17 and sickened

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Hit: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Damage: 2d4 + 10 ⇒ (2, 3) + 10 = 15

Grum moves up to swing, putting a fair deal of strength behind it. The hobgoblin, with his body full of adrenaline, weaves and ducks as it literally fights for its life. Grum's blow passes harmlessly overhead as the hobgoblin ducks beneath it.

Doesn't matter how many modifiers you get if you roll like crud


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Amkarang steps forward and attacks the hobgoblin, shifting his grip on his meteor hammer to attack it twice. The hobgoblin dodges one attack, but the other connects solidly with the legionnaire.
Attack 1: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Attack 2: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Damage 2: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7


The ex-pirate's hammer does its work, sending the final hob to the dirt alongside her comrades in blood.

The civilians have found buckets and are now splashing water on the burning roof. Thanks to their quick action, the burning thatch is doused, and only thick smoke pours up from the scorched area.

The doors to the trading post are barred and you can see that heavy shelving has been moved in front of the windows as well. Even as you study the store, trying to figure out how best to enter, you hear a "clunk" from within the smithy, as though a heavy piece of metal had just fallen - or been knocked - over.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

With a nod to her companions, Jie quickly dismounts. Although bothered by the senseless killing of the animals, she directs some of the townsfolk to begin butchering the animals. While they do it she looks around for signs to the fate of the mascot of the festival Wee Paterson.
Survival: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

As Jie manages the refugees, Grum looks around to try and find a way into the smithy that isn't barred.

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 3

Failing to do so, he then goes to kick the nearest door in.

Strength: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

Lissa follows Grum into the smithy, her glaive at the ready.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 21 (23 vs goblins), T 12, FF 18 CMD 20 | Init +3 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+4/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Benedict will go to the broken window of the trading post and shout in.
"Kining, it's Benedict. We're evacuating. Aubrin, Jet, Netthias, over 20 of us. Come with us."


Point of clarification, to keep everything very clear: the Trading Company has two parts: the trading post/store, to the north, which is barricaded at the moment, and the smithy, to the east and south, which is standing wide open and from which you just heard what might be described as a "suspicious noise."

Jie starts looking for Wee Patterson's body, but finds nothing. After a few moments, she remembers that Wee Patterson was tethered in front of Oreld's Fine Shop, so whether the Tiniest Aurochs survived is yet unknown.

Benedict, please give me a Diplomacy roll.

As Grum and Lissa approach the smithy doors, they see the body of an Ironfang warrior in the middle of the smithy floor, seemingly dead. There is also another clunk from inside, and the sound of heavy feet somewhere off to the right, out of sight from the entrance.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 21 (23 vs goblins), T 12, FF 18 CMD 20 | Init +3 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+4/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
This is the thing he's supposed to be good at...


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

With her bow readied, Jie follows behind Grum and Lissa, ready to attack any hobgoblin she sees.
I'm going to be AFK for until Monday morning so if a fight ensues, Jie shoots

Bow Attack:
bow Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

"Its either a survivor or a hobknob. Anyone here good at sneaking? Otherwise I'm walking in."


"Get out, you wretched goblinoid beasts!" someone inside the Trading Company shouts at Benedict.

Since there isn't a single rank of Stealth among you, I'm assuming Grum walks in.

For centuries, the forge here provided ample space for working iron and steel as well as limited farrier services. The hobgoblin raiders have already targeted the smithy, snatching up any weapons or armor in their meaty paws - but it seems that something ill befell them in the process of looting. A single hobgoblin still lies in the middle of the floor.

The smithy is lit by an everburning torch set near the forge. Hanging from a nail over her workbench is a large key ring. Several notes, apparently regarding some work Kining was doing on the Marideth Bridge are scribbled in chalk on a large piece of slate leaning against the wall.

Knowledge (local), DC 15:
The Chelish army originally constructed this arch bridge some 300 years ago as part of the trade road connecting the empire to its Varisian colonies. Even after the army withdrew and its fortress crumbled, a town remained to maintain and take advantage of the reliable crossing over the tumultuous Marideth River. Phaendar began an intense maintenance process last year, recruiting Kining Blondebeard, in her capacity as the town smith, to oversee the project thanks to her extensive stoneworking experience. Kining performed some cursory repair work and removed the cracked keystone from the bridge’s north side before promptly announcing she would require twice her original estimate to complete repair work on the bridge. The construction shed and crane have sat untended beside the bridge for 9 months as the town struggles to gather funds, while a temporary wooden support frame takes the place of the vacant keystone.

For a moment, there is no sign of movement in the smithy, then the ground ripples and bubbles, and a humanoid figure composed of earth and stone rises up from the smithy floor. About the size of a preadolescent human child but much bulkier, it glares around and roars before rushing toward Grum in a fury.

Knowledge (planes), DC 11:
This is a Small earth elemental.

Sense Motive, DC 20:
The earthen creature is confused and terrified rather than aggressive or angry. It might be possible to soothe it - or to frighten it enough to make it flee entirely.

Initiatives:
Grum: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Jie: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Benedict: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Amkarang: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Lissa: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Earth elemental: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11

Initiative Order
Amkarang and Jie, then
the elemental, then
Grum, Benedict and Lissa.

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 3

Impossible to make any of the other checks, so...crap. He really didn't understand what it like. So much for scaring it away...

Seeing the earth elemental rise, Grum's first thought was that this was a hostile creature summoned by the hobgoblin army. So, he did the only thing that he was equipped to do...he charges right at it!

Hit: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Damage: 2d4 + 10 ⇒ (1, 2) + 10 = 13

When all you have is a hammer, every problem is a nail :P And besides, he's all about getting this place looted and getting out of dodge as soon as possible, so...


Since Grum lost init, he might well have a chance to use that attack roll but we'll see what Amkarang and Jie do first.

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Sorry, posted that before Init was up


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

K/Local: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 2
Chang Jie swiftly reacts and shoots at the beast, but the arrow doesn't come close to hitting the animate clod.
To avoid double jeopardy just use her roll from the previous post. A nine to hit. Honestly she's supposed to be an archer but the only time she hits is when she swings a sword.
Not sure how to fight a mound of dirt she looks around for a shovel while drawing her sword.
Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 21 (23 vs goblins), T 12, FF 18 CMD 20 | Init +3 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+4/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

I think you can't normally retry Diplomacy, but what if he pretends to be a different person? Nobody inside can see him, right? He's going to try a Bluff that even if it fails won't turn them hostile. At worst,
it's a charming young man exaggerating his battle prowess; at best, they believe him.

Benedict alters his voice and tries a Dwarven accent, throwing in a few choice words in that language for emphasis.
"No, lass, I tell ye true. Brave Sir Benedict slew five of the enemy single-handed. And his companions are brave and mighty as well. Now come with us!"
Bluff: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


There is a pause from inside the store, and then the sound of dragging furniture.

Jie doesn't see a shovel, but there are bits of lumber around that might serve as makeshift club.

Still need an action from Amkarang.


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 12
Amkarang hustles over to the smithy and tries to hit the rocky creature with his meteor hammer.
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


Jie and Amkarang cannot land a blow on the strange earthen creature, and thus cannot interfere as it glides forward across the dirt floor of the smithy to swing one rocklike fist at Grum. The blow is savage, but so is Grum's counterattack.

Slam attack with earth mastery: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 6 + 1 = 25, damage: 1d6 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 1 = 7

The half-orc's falchion cleaves through the rock and stone, leaving nothing but an oddly-shaped pile of rock in its wake.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Well that was wierd. Jie thinks. "Keep an eye out for whoever summoned that... Thing?" she tells her new found friends, not sure what that was. She sheathes her sword and walks outside to talk to Aubrin, collecting Feng as she does. Feeding him an apple to keep him calm she tells him what a good job he did against those hobs. Aubrin, do you think you could spare some healing for Feng? He pretty much took out one hobgoblin all by himself."

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

"Ah! Iomodae curse that summoner, it hit me right where that blasted axewoman got me. Gods, that hurts!"

Grum, with one hand clutching his side, kicks what remains of the elemental.

"Let's loot this place of anything we can grab at get out of here. At this rate I'll be just another body lying broken in this damned town."


Even as Grum is kicking the remains of the elemental, there is more movement in the smithy: two humanoids, up in the hayloft. They quickly resolve themselves into two half-elves, siblings by their age and similar appearance. Hands raised, they introduce themselves as Lirosa and Taidel, hunters from the nearby woods in town for the Festival. "We were laying an ambush for those hobbos," Lirosa says, and Taidel finishes, "but that earth-creature came up and beat them down, so we decided to stay hidden."

"Thanks for getting rid of it," Lirosa adds, shouldering a longbow.

Grum recognizes Lirosa's name as the owner of the Erastilian holy symbol the group recovered from the Shrine.

"You can take care of the townsfolk now," Taidel says. Lirosa adds, "We’ve got hobgoblins to hunt."

Please let me know if you plan to search the smithy any further.

Out in the courtyard, the scrape of furniture continues for a while, but eventually the door opens and the scowling face of Kining Blondebeard appears. "That was the worst dwarf accent I've ever heard," she informs Benedict, "but at least I knew no hob would ever be so stupid as to try a trick like that."

Sense Motive, DC 11:
She's lying - she completely believed Benedict's ruse until she laid eyes on him.

In addition to Kining, there are three more refugees with her, and they are carrying a large number of supplies taken from the Trading Post. One mentions Kining's stock of "adventuring supplies" still in the shop, earning a glare from Kining but no voiced opposition to the group taking them. The stock includes a longsword, two battleaxes, an alchemical silver rapier, a masterwork light steel shield, a masterwork backpack, a climber’s kit, and eight waterskins.

Perception, DC 20:
In addition to the stock available to grab out in the open, you spot a loose floorboard behind the counter. Opening it reveals a well-made buckler hidden away, decorated with a stone arch over a flame. Roll Knowledge (religion), DC 20, if you have it.


Aubrin gathers Grum closer to Feng and anyone else who is injured, and she channels again. 2d6 ⇒ (2, 1) = 3 hp healed. Unsatisfied, she does so again. Another 2d6 ⇒ (2, 1) = 3 hp healed.

Wow. Ohhhkay, Cayden doesn't like you much right now for some reason....

GM Screen:
Aubrin 27/42hp and 3/7 channels remaining.

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Before she goes, Grum calls out to her "Lirosa! Wait, before you go. We found your amulet. Hobknobs were looting the shrine, and we got it off one of them."

Perception to search the smithy after he gets healed and thanks Aubrin for it: 1d20 ⇒ 10


"Deadeye's aim!" Lirosa says, surprised. She takes the holy symbol reverently, then kisses Grum on the cheek. "Thank you! I never thought I'd see this again."

In addition to Kining's keys, which Grum scoops up for possible future use, he recalls Aubrin saying that something would have to be done about the Marideth Bridge - and the slate in the smithy contains detailed analysis of the bridge's current state of repair and possible weaknesses. By the time the butchering of the animals in the pen outside is done, Grum has gained enough understanding of the bridge to gain a +2 insight bonus on any Craft (alchemy), Disable Device, or Knowledge (engineering) checks attempted to destroy the Marideth Bridge.

Others may study the slate for the same bonuses if they wish.

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Leaving the smithy, his green skin slightly flushed, Grum says to the group "Found some interesting information. First, got some keys. Think they're yours, Kining." He tosses the keys to the dwarf. "Secondly, I think that it might be possible to destroy the Marideth Bridge. Might slow down hobknob pursuit. Though I still think we should make for the trees as soon as possible, but I'm not in charge here so there you have it."


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 21 (23 vs goblins), T 12, FF 18 CMD 20 | Init +3 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+4/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Benedict gets it, but doesn't let on.
"Well, Kining, I just had to prove it was me. Are my armor, weapons, and shield around? My new comrades decided to walk around our peaceful spring festival ready for war... Which it has turned out to be."
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Spotting the loose floorboard,
"What is that shield? One of yours, Kining? I don't know the symbol."
If she has his armor, he will put it on while the villagers are butchering the animals.
"Valuable information, Grum. Good work.
If we stick together, we can take down the enemies without getting hit as much. I am sure you could take a hobgoblin in a fair fight, but this isn't a fair fight; they have the numbers. We need to be crafty. Fight dirty. Any one hit could be lethal. Stick with me in formation and we can make a short shift to surround them once they come to us; the Ankheg maneuver that Gorumites are fond of."


Benedict's gear is still safely held by Kining, and he can recover them easily.

When Benedict picks up the shield, Kining grumbles something under her breath about "looting as bad as the goblins" but doesn't actually deny him or try to take the buckler back. She does take her keys, though.

Anyone who wants to ID the symbol on the buckler can roll Knowledge (religion) if they would like. The buckler is masterwork should anyone choose to wear it.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 21 (23 vs goblins), T 12, FF 18 CMD 20 | Init +3 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+4/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

To Kining, "Yes, but I'll use it to fight against goblins. They'll be back soon in force, they are tearing down buildings to build fortifications."

To Grum, "Here's Ankheg; the hidden pincer. You and I up front, side by side. We get the drop on goblins, but don't charge. We get ready. As soon as one moves up to us, we step forward and split, surrounding and striking. Willingly letting them into our midst, abandoning our defensive line to kill them better. As I said, Gorum types like it."
This guy wants aggressive, so a conventional shield wall is out, but let's see if I can keep him from charging off alone...
I saw a larger-scale version of this on Vikings. In PF, relies on the fact that you can take a 5' step as part of your readied action.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Since it is Dwrven make, I assume it is a metal buckler. Right?

"Thanks, Aubrin." Jie replies, happy that Feng is feeling better. As Benedict describes his formation, Jie chirps in. "That sounds like it would really work."
Unskilled K/Religion: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Chang Jie wrote:
Since it is Dwrven make, I assume it is a metal buckler. Right?

Yes it is.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 21 (23 vs goblins), T 12, FF 18 CMD 20 | Init +3 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+4/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Benedict will take a look at the slate, and also a quick look around the smithy.
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Okay, time to be decisive.
"Oreld's Shop, then the bridge. Kining, if you want a chance at living, help us take down the bridge. We're taking all the tools. They'll still be yours, we're just helping you carry them. Otherwise the goblins get them.

Grum, you're with me in front. Take the buckler if you want it, or don't. Lissa, Amkarang, second rank with your reach weapons. We advance as a unit. If the enemy stays at range, draw bows and I'll stay in front with the shield; we have this composite longbow for one of you.

Jin, guard and lead the archers. Keep them behind us for cover; take arcing shots, maybe get lucky, but if anybody tries to get around us, focus fire. If we are in close combat, we'll have a signal to step back to give you a better shot. I also have my old shortbow for anybody who can use it.

Everybody else, keep an eye out. Let us know if you see something - an ambush, more refugees, or anything we should know about.

Anybody got anything to say?"

201 to 250 of 2,538 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Shisumo's Why Can't Fighters Have Nice Hobgoblins? Ironfang Invasion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.