Why Can't Fighters Have Nice Hobgoblins? Ironfang Invasion

Game Master Stalwart

Day 5, Week 2

Starday, 29 Gozran, 4717 AR

Militia Population: 28
Remaining Provision Points: 117
Livestock: 22 animals

maps
Loot list


351 to 400 of 2,555 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

"Then prepare to be broken. This one's MINE!" With that Grum broke into a full charge, barreling down the bridge at the hobgoblin warrior.

Is it in charge range? If so, charge. If not, delay until she moves into range and then charge

Hit: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Damage: 2d6 + 11 ⇒ (5, 6) + 11 = 22
Hit: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Crit Damage: 2d6 + 11 ⇒ (5, 1) + 11 = 17
Total: 39 damage

Man I hope that confirmed...note due to his trait he has +2 AC against goblinoids. So he is only at -1 due to the spell. AC16 for this round, AC18 thereafter.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Unaware of just how successful Grum is going to be, Benedict retreats across the bridge (double move), taunting the hobgoblin.

Goblin:

"You fools have no idea what you have done, do you? The wrath of Kynonin will destroy you."

"Archers!"
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Another refugee fires at the hobgoblin.
Longbow: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
damage: 1d8 ⇒ 4
Benedict smiles. We may run and hide, but that's when you should fear Nirmathi the most.
That should hit, but I am guessing this is an Ironskin Monk who could have Deflect Arrows.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Vortiga is currently out of Grum's charge range, on account of his 20 foot move speed.

An arrow comes shooting over the bridge from the north at Benedict's signal, and it sticks in Vortiga's hide, drawing a smear of blood. She laughs again, breaking the shaft off.

GM Screen:
Unbreakable Vortiga 42/46hp

Ironskin monk yes, Deflect Arrows no. Amkarang still to go before Vortiga goes, with Grum's waiting possible crit hanging over her...


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Grum has an additional +1 from Bless, and Amkarang has Bless and Bull's Strength.

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Forgot about that, thanks! Makes it an 18 to confirm crit. :D


Botting for Amkarang.

Amkarang moves to stand at Benedict's shoulder, careful to keep clear of Grum' charge line, waiting to see if the hobgoblin monk takes the bait.

Readying an attack for when she enters his threatened space.

The monk laughs again, then in an impossible burst of speed she rushes toward the east side of the bridge, lining up a charge on Benedict that keeps Amkarang on the other side of him, and then hurls herself toward Benedict, leaping into the air at the last minute with a devastating kick. She leaps over the spinning weights of Amkarang's meteor hammer and catches the aasimar warrior right in the throat.

Bonus move action from [redacted], then charge on Benedict. This triggers Amkarang's readied attack, but with soft cover from Benedict.

Charge attack on Benedict: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 8 + 2 = 27, damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 plus a DC 14 Fort save or be stunned.

Amkarang's attack, with bull's strength and bless: 1d20 + 5 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 5 + 2 + 1 = 12, damage: 1d8 + 4 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 3 = 9

Grum comes out of delay now and attacks. Although the monk ends her turn too close to him for a charge, and thus he doesn't get the +2 bonus to his attack, she charged and the penalty to AC basically cancels it out. Which is bad for her.

With a mighty roar, Grum swings his gigantic falchion down and nearly carves the monk in half, slicing her open from hip to opposite shoulder. She staggers, a look of utter shock on her face, as she lands and takes a step away from the half-orc. All her bravado is gone, and it is obvious to any and all that she sees her death coming now.

She's not actually down, but she's not far from it at all. Jie, Lissa, and Benedict (if you're not stunned) can go now.

GM Screen:
Unbroken Vortiga 3/46hp

T minus 4.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Fortitude: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Benedict is knocked senseless by the blow, and on the verge of collapse.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Jie stops riding across the bridge with Kining and whirls Feng around as Vortiga attacks. "Kining, if you want to get off, get off now." she whispers to the dwarf. She doesn't move any closer, but she does ready her bow for a shot.

Good hit, Grum! Jie readies to shoot Vortiga if she moves in the clear. Feng readies to attack Vortiga if the monk comes close.

Bow Attack:

Shortbow Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Shortbow Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4

Feng Ride check to avoid damage:

Ride: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Don't forget the followers. There are a couple of useful things they could do here,
and it's a free action to try.
Also, since he readied an attack, does Amkarang go immediately before the monk next round?


His readied action didn't go off until after her turn had started (she moved), so it moves him to behind her in the turn order.

Kining slips off of Feng and sets out at a dwarven run for the forest line.


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Amkarang swings his meteor hammer at Vortiga, the iron weights swinging through the air at the hobgoblin.

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Sorry I missed my round. An accident in the lab caused a bit of stress.


Lissa delays.

The monk takes a five-foot step back, starting to reach into her pouch for something. It is the last mistake she ever makes. Jie, seeing the opening, lets loose her arrow, and takes the monk cleanly through the chest. Unbroken Vortiga, broken at last, slumps to the bridge and is still.

Although a few more arrows fly toward the fleeing villagers from the south side of the bridge, none truly threaten any of the Phaendarites. There is just enough time for Grum, Amkarang, and Benedict to search Vortiga's body for any valuables and get off the bridge before the "Stump Remover" does its work, creating a massive, multicolored explosion on the western side of the bridge. The entire stone structure ripples like a pond with a stone dropped in it, and stone dust billows into the air. The stressed rock groans like an animal in pain. To the south, the first organized troops of Legionnaires - two full squads of hobgoblin fighters, each lead by an Ironfang heavy - appears within the circle of light cast by the torches on the bridge, and a pair of guards hurl themselves out of the doors to the small shed, looking around in astonishment.

Seeing the bridge about to collapse and their prey already safely across, the Ironfang heavies cry out a charge command, and the hobgoblins roar in reply. At an all-out run, they race for the bridge, now tilting ominously westward - but even as they reach the first steps of the bridge's upward arc, the whole thing gives way entirely, massive stones tumbling into the white-capped Marideth River, wrapped in a fresh cloud of stone dust. A few of the Legionnaires can't stop in time and fall, headfirst, into the river, and though their heads pop up again above the raging waters, the current has already swept them yards downstream.

For now, you are safe.

Gathering Aubrin, Kining, Jet, Rhyna, and the rest of the Phaendarites together, you head into the Fangwood Forest, in search of shelter, rest, and hopefully... a plan.


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

"Ah, alchemy. A fitting tribute to our departed friend. We'll be back, Phaendarans, but for now. Hello to Fangwood, our new home."

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

With the spell enlarging him already wearing off, Grum runs with his comrades across the bridge. He lets out a laugh, tinged with relief and nervousness.

"We're alive! Now isn't that a welcome surprise? Let's keep moving. The hobknobs know we're out here and they're organized enough to make their own bridges. I don't want to be caught sleeping near the river if they get their wargs across."


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Benedict staggers across the bridge, raising a hand in salute to Grum, Jie, and the Phaendarite archer that helped bring down Vortiga.
"My thanks. Hoped to lure some onto the bridge... Whittle down... Didn't realize they could move or hit like that one. Grum, that was... That was really something. Jie, well done."
He will follow along with the group, but is clearly exhausted and overwhelmed after this long running battle, the first of his life.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Jie gives out a cry of triumph as the bridge collapses and covers the more wounded as they leave the bridge. Such a nice little hamlet, Phaendar had been, one of the little villages she most enjoyed delivering the mail to. "We will retake you." she mutters under her breath, adding her own vow to Lissa's. "Grum, you are a monster, they'll be using you as the boogie man for years to come. And Benedict. That was a good plan."
She takes a moment to compose herself. "Benedict, if you want to ride, I can walk, but Grum is right. We need to get away from here, and I think we should consider warning some of the surrounding towns."


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Benedict pulls himself together enough to contribute to the discussion.
"You are right, we have to move. But we can't move too fast through these woods. The Fangwood is tricky even in daylight. Darkvision at the front and back of the column. Nobody gets left behind.
Hobgoblins can't fly and crossing this gorge to build another bridge will take time. Let's get a ways into the woods, make shelter for the night, and figure out next steps tomorrow."

He looks around.
"Aubrin, do you know of a good hiding place in these woods? You were a Ranger. Also, my head is still ringing from that last hobgoblin. Anything you can do?"


Aubrin casts cure moderate wounds on Benedict for 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (4, 8) + 3 = 15 hit points back, while considering his question. "Finding the Rangers is definitely a good idea," she agrees. "There's a small redoubt about ten miles straight east of here; we'd be wise to make contact as quickly as we can. I'll be honest, though, I'm worried - rumors have said the Rangers have been missing from Nirmathas' roads for a week or two. They might already be engaged with Molthune or these Ironfang wretches elsewhere and we haven't heard. I don't think it's safe to send a lone rider to investigate."


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Benedict tries to build a temporary shelter.
Survival: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Failing in his attempt, he puts his bedroll under a tree and goes to sleep.


It seems like Benedict at least is ready to let this, the longest Starday of your lives, finally come to an end. Are the rest of you as well?

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Survival: 1d20 ⇒ 17

Grum also attempts to build a temporary shelter. Much to his surprise he seems to succeed in this task.

Survival: 1d20 ⇒ 9

He attempts to repeat his success, but quickly finds that making another is beyond his abilities. Frustrated and tired, he goes to sleep in the one that he had made properly.


Grum's has room for a roommate, if he wants to offer it to someone.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Survival to make shelter: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Jie's quickly constructs a lean to, using a fallen log as a backdrop and spreading pine needles underneath it before setting her sleeping bag up in it. She tries to convince the newly formed militia to follow her example
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
She the starts to comb Feng, making sure there are no previously unnoticed wounds and feeds him an apple. Eventually with the horse sharing the entrance to the lean to she has quite a warm little cubby hole.
Then she notices Grum continuing to make shelters for another hour and she tries her hand again.
Survival: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
This one isn't as nice, she obviously chose the best spot to begin with.

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Grum will offer it to anyone who doesn't mind sleeping next to a half-orc.


Inspired by Jie's example, some of the other, more outdoors-y types try to make shelters as well.

Jet: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
Kining: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Netthias: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Farrow: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Clidon: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

Jet manages to find enough space for herself and two others, while Farrow shows remarkable ingenuity and manages to find space for himself plus four others!


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Amkarang sets to work making a shelter, using some fishing line to tie together bundles of branches. He sets a long log in the nook between two tree branches, and places the bundles along the length of the log. He tries to build a second shelter, but after it falls down for the third time he decides to throw in the towel.

Survival: 1d20 ⇒ 20
Survival: 1d20 ⇒ 3


Since a second hour of work seems to be the order of the night, your followers keep working too.

Jet: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Kining: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
Netthias: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Farrow: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Clidon: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

Since Feng takes up two slots, Jie basically made herself and Feng a shelter alone. In addition to hers, the end result of the whole group's efforts is shelter for 21 people (23 if you allow for the Small-sized members of the group). You could rotate out with people on watch to get everyone some time to sleep.


The night is cold, reminding you that winter is still not that far away; your shelters keep the worst of the chill away, but those who stand awake and on watch are grateful for the small fire you have built. The forest night is largely quiet, but the occasional sound drifts through the trees from Phaendar, just two miles distant - and the sound is inevitably one of screaming.

Finally, dawn arrives, crisp and pale, the breath of the watchers on guard misting the sparkling air. With the new day, the band of Phaendarite refugees have a chance to assess their situations, what they have brought with them - and what they have lost.

Feng can graze for himself, but the refugees have to be fed from your Provision Points. Do you want to give everyone a full ration, a half ration, or nothing? And once you make that decision, you'll need to decide what your plans are for the day, both for you guys and for the followers.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Jie breaks into her own supply of trail rations for the day. "I think that we should definitely keep everyone well fed today. We should head towards the ranger camp that Aubrin knows about, should probably take two days. March as long as we can today and take two hours to make a makeshift camp again. Then we should arrive on the second day and hopefully the rangers can help feed us as refugees."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Benedict did not accept a shelter until he was convinced there was room enough for all, especially the more elderly members of the group. Then he moved his bedroll into a lean-to and fell right back to sleep.
In the morning, he has scrubbed off his makeup and removed his wig. His hair, shorter than the wig, has a faint silver shimmer to it, as does his skin. It's not that pronounced, but he clearly is something other than human.
He walks around talking to the refugees.
"Phersi, I'm Benedict. I bought some boots from you last year." "Yes, Geerum, those are my parents, Collette and Durgan, out in the foothills." "I came to town with Jebruk. Don't know if he made it out." "Well, Ramtan, I don't know the truth of that rumor, but the Shining Crusade seems a likely explanation." "No, Andrum, I don't have wings. See?

Then he asks Jet to take charge for a bit handing out rations. He will eat from his own stock for now.
"I think the five of us should take a walk to scout the area... And discuss our next steps quietly. We'll be back in twenty minutes."
Once the group is far enough to not be overheard, he'll offer his thoughts.
"I think the Rangers are overwhelmed. Maybe we can get some help but they have to be sabotaging the enemy, not feeding refugees. Nirmathas doesn't have much in the way of a central government to help people when Molthune invades, we just live off the land, harry them, and move home when they leave.
Each day we spend moving is a day we spend not gathering food or building shelters. Perhaps we can move for a couple of hours, then find a new camp and still get a day's work in while we seek out the Rangers. Do you think the five of us can make it to the redoubt and back in a day if we travel light?"


Grum and Lissa both wear armor heavy enough to slow them down to about 8 miles a day; even without it, forest terrain for most of you limits you to 12 miles a day, so to and from the Ranger redoubt Aubrin spoke of is a two-day trip.


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

"Our first priority has to be finding a safe place to settle our refugees, or a way to evacuate. If we're going to resist, we'll need a place to return to, and that means something we can secure against a larger force. Everyone's heard stories of the Fangwood, but did anyone hear stories of another holdout? A cave? I don't think we can make it to the redoubt and back in just a day, and I wouldn't want to leave our merry band of townfolk alone in the woods."


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Jie does some morning calisthenics. Then she notices Benedict's new appearance.
K/Local to know about Assimars: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
She looks at him suspiciously for a few minutes. 'Well you knew he had some magic. He did turn into a hobgoblin.' And with that thought she totally accepts his new appearance.
She brushes Feng and contemplates nature, attuning herself to the wilds as her father and mother taught her.
Survival to know weather for the next day: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
She then begins to clean up the camp. Trying to remove all traces that could leave the hobgoblins to discover where they camped and she tries to enlist some help.
Survival to Cover Tracks: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Diplomacy for others to use Survival to Cover Tracks: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
But she comes across as incredibly bossy.
When Benedict asks she will accompany the group to have a discussion.
"Someone riding Feng can probably make it to the redoubt in a day. But the only one who knows where it's located is Aubrin. I think I could find Gristledown. But I think we should all stick together and make for the redoubt." She turns to Lissa
Those are the only two places I know that might be defensible."


I'd like to know if Lissa, Amkarang, or Grum have any additional comments here - there is discussion going on in the Discussion Thread if you are only watching the game thread...


Perception checks:
Jie: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Lissa: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Benedict: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Amkarang: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Grum: 1d20 ⇒ 8

As your small group debates your day's plans, Lissa and Benedict suddenly look up, almost simultaneously, at the sounds of someone or something running rapidly through the brush - directly toward you and your camp.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Benedict whispers, "Too loud for hobgoblin, could still be trouble."
He draws his sword and steps behind a tree.

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Seeing Benedict draw steel, Grum followed suit. He had grown to respect the man's ability to plan, and as such if Benedict saw need for caution, Grum didn't second guess it.


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

Lissa pulls her shield off her back and steps out into the clear to meet this new arrival.

"Slow down idiot you'll crash into something."

She doesn't speak loudly, but she does speak clearly, trusting her friends to cover her if it turns out to be trouble.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Noticing the sudden martial activity, JIe uncertainly draws her bow and asks quietly. "What's going on?"


A bedraggled human man - wounded, dirty, and panicking - appears from the brush and sprints toward you; or rather, away from whatever might be behind him, though you can't see or hear any kind of pursuit. He is looking over his shoulder as he runs and would likely have run directly into Lissa had she not spoken up. Instead he jerks his attention back around and lets out a terrified shriek on seeing her.

He is medium height and tanned, not unhandsome if you are into such things, with dark hair pulled back into a simple bun and a five o'clock shadow darkening his cheeks. Deep bags under his eyes suggest he's not slept, possibly all night, and his clothes are ripped and smeared with both dirt and blood.


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Seeing the bedraggled man, Amkarang gets up and slowly approaches him, putting out both of his hands palm up to show he's unarmed. He says in a calm and quiet tone, "Easy there friend, we mean to harm. We're here to help alright? We're going somewhere safe, you can come with us. We have food, clothes, and spare beds."

Diplomacy: 1d20 ⇒ 18


The man looks, wide-eyed, from Lissa to Amkarang and back again, but he finally focuses on Amkarang and shakes his head, gasping for breath. "I... my name is Edran, from Taldor. I was staying at the Taproot in Phaendar when... when.... the hobgoblins and their minions showed up." He is still breathing hard, and his terror at seeing the invaders in the streets seems quite genuine. He goes on to describe how he managed to flee before being spotted, actually crossing the bridge before you arrived at it, but subsequently getting lost in the woods. He witnessed a ferocious bugbear with a scarred head tearing a townsperson apart. "The screams... I can still hear the screams..." he says, tears rolling down his cheeks.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Benedict steps out.
"How did you find us? I know we didn't cover our tracks, but it's a big forest. And are there hobgoblins close by?"


"Find you?" Edran looks blank. "I didn't find anyone. I've just been running, as long as my feet could carry me... I must have run ten miles since last night..." He keeps sobbing. You're painfully aware that you're still only maybe a mile or two from Phaendar at most - meaning that, if he's telling the truth, he has spent most of the night running in circles in the forest.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Jie lowers her bow once she realizes they aren't under immediate attack. 'Really this guy is as bad as the jerky merchants.' she thinks. "Calm down Edran from Taldor, you're safe for now." She pauses and then adds "We were all there, and we plan on making the hobgoblins rue the day they messed with Phaendar." 'I guess that's it.' the realization suddenly hits her. 'I really am going to stay and help these people take their town back.'


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Amkarang smiles and extends his hand to Edran, "Friend, what you've seen today would break a lesser man. The worst is through. I am Amkarang, Amkarang the Unsinkable to some. It is good to meet you, even in these desperate times."


Edran looks shocked at Jie's words. "You're going to... you're going to try to fight them?" he repeats. "What, just the five of you? You'd have to..." he pauses, looking around, and finally registers the makeshift camp in the distance. "You do have followers. How... how many? Are you all trained fighters? Are there other camps like this one?"


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

"How about you, sir? Do you have any skills with bow or sword? Or are you a trained woodsman or tracker? What skills do you have?"


GM Screen:
Bluff: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Sense Motive, DC 19:
Edran is annoyed by Benedict not answering his question, but is trying to hide it.

Edran blinks at Benedict for a moment before answering, "Me? Well, I'm a city boy, I don't really do well in the woods... but I've always had a way with animals. I can handle a sword, I guess, though I wouldn't say I'm 'skilled' exactly. But I do know a little magic... If you've got anyone with spells here, though, I imagine my talents won't amount to much."


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Benedict is fond of disguises and misdirection and was hesitant to spill all of the details. The man's reaction tells him he was right.
"Well, it is good that you have such a varied skill set. Perhaps you can be of assistance. I know you're Taldan, not Nirmathi, but here there are no bystanders. We get invaded, and everyone pitches in to make do. You must be exhausted. Get some sleep. The rest of us have missions. We can talk later."
Bluff to hide his suspicion: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
If we take him back to the camp, Benedict has a message for Aubrin. Will wait for others to weigh in first.

351 to 400 of 2,555 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Shisumo's Why Can't Fighters Have Nice Hobgoblins? Ironfang Invasion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.