Why Can't Fighters Have Nice Hobgoblins? Ironfang Invasion

Game Master Stalwart

Day 5, Week 2

Starday, 29 Gozran, 4717 AR

Militia Population: 28
Remaining Provision Points: 117
Livestock: 22 animals

maps
Loot list


51 to 100 of 2,555 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Jie frantically looks towards the door after Lissa takes down the hobgoblin she was fighting. "I've got the door' she exclaims. She darts out the door, trying to be inconspicuous.
Stealth: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Standing on the Taproom's porch she looks and calls for Feng.
Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Handle Animal: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

If Feng is there:
She moves Feng through the shattered door.

If Feng not there:
She comes back in with a worried look and attempts to close and barricade door with some chairs.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Benedict is fighting as he is talking, though not very effectively.
The door was destroyed, I believe, so closing it is not an option.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1
Benedict the Clever wrote:

Benedict is fighting as he is talking, though not very effectively.

The door was destroyed, I believe, so closing it is not an option.

Yes, I believe it was splintered. If some more hobgoblins are coming I believe Feng in the doorway is our best option. I doubt the ceiling here is high enough for Jie to ride, but maybe GM Shisumo will let her use Handle Animal in lieu of Ride for Mounted Combat if she fights alongside him.:) I'm also assuming big double doors like you see on Westerns. If its a normal sized door then Feng won't fit at all and she'll have to ride him around behind the inn.


DM Shisumo wrote:

You are adjacent, but you do not currently flank one because Lissa just took the flank spot opposite Jie. However, you can five foot step to directly in front of the door and ready an action for when Amkarang goes; while the meteor hammer is in fortress mode, he doesn't threaten the hobgoblin, but he can either switch to meteor mode or take a five foot step back, at which point he would presumably threaten and give you a flank.

** spoiler omitted **

Going by his instructions, I believe that Grum is directly in front of the door. So not sure if you can get in the doorway


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Assuming she can find Feng at all if she can't get him through the door, she will ride him to behind the inn where at least he won't be exposed like he was in the main street. Players can usually move through allies squares as long as they don't end their move. I'm not certain as to the layout, but lots of people are leaving the inn from the description, it shouldn't be hard for Jie to get out and into the street.


The doorway is a single door, and there is nothing meaningfully left of it to call a door at this point. However, to keep things rolling...

Grum's blade, glinting with hints of magical power, knocks aside the hobgoblin's shield with ease and carves down, opening the soldier from shoulder to hip. There is a spray of blood, and his body joins the others on the floor.

Jie runs outside and is intensely relieved to see Feng still tied to his hitch, although he is rearing and snapping at the line, his eyes rolling. Behind him, the town is bloody chaos: houses and market stalls burn, screams of pain and death fill the air, and dozens, perhaps even hundreds, of hobgoblin soldiers roam the streets. At the center of it all is the black onyx tower, looming two stories taller than any other building in Phaendar save the inn itself, and from the archway entrance at the base, yet more hobs continue to pour forth.

Jie quickly unties and soothes Feng as best she can, and although he takes some persuading, manages to get him inside the inn. As she does so, Aubrin pushes herself to a sitting position, although she hisses in pain and clutches her ribs as she does so. "It... it sounds like there’s an army outside the door. How did they fall on us without being seen? These damn plains are so flat you can see an elk from two days off, let alone an army!" She winces and presses her hands against the bloody hole in her chest. "They sound large. Too large to fight on the ground like honest fools. We need to gather what we can, cross the bridge, and hide out in the Fangwood. I — I know a few secrets that may keep us safe. Should probably figure out how to take down the bridge while we’re at it, else they’ll just march themselves across before we have the chance to hide."

At this point, no one living remains in the common room besides the five of you, Feng, and Aubrin - everyone else has fled, one way or another. Aubrin recommends stripping the hobs' bodies for their weapons and armor, for those who are lacking such, and she offers her longbow to anyone who might use it. It is a standard longbow, but her quiver contains 5 +1 arrows, in addition to a sizable quantity of cold iron arrows.


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

"Sounds like a plan commander. I think we'll want to save our arrows for the forest. Is there any way we can get to the smithy? Well want his tools if we're going to try to take down a bridge. Either way, bridge or smith, let's move quickly."

Lissa takes the wand, the scroll, and food and packs them away. If there is a longbow/sword left over she'll take those as well. She then looks for a rear exit. If there isn't one she'll put her glaive away and be ready to go out the front with shield&sword/dagger.

Since PBF can get bogged down in places like this I've tried to anticipate a couple of choices, but im ok either way: If we can get more people, great, if this is supposed to railroad us into the woods just go along with it.


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Amkarang kneels down by Aubrin and offers his arm for her to support herself, before saying loudly, "Come on, we've got to move. Those hobgoblins will be coming back, so we need to get out before they do."


Aubrin nods as Amkarang helps her up. "The Trading Company, yes. There will be people there, I'm sure, and supplies. Oreld's shop and the Shrine too, I thin-" she breaks off as you all clearly hear something splinter in the kitchen, through the northern door.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

"To the smith. Rescue Kining if we can, and get what tools we can."
He picks up a sword and shield from a fallen hobgoblin, takes his dagger back, and gives Aubrin her sword.
Hearing the crash, he hurries to share a thought.
"I can use magic to appear as a hobgoblin for a brief period of time. I speak their language and now have some of their gear. If I should need to use this trick, we may not have time to strategize, so play along."

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Grum takes the sword, bow and arrows from the hobgoblin he killed. Finding a wand and a scroll, he pockets those as well, to see if they can figure out what they do later.

"Let's go. These two hobknobs gave us enough trouble as is. If we stay put, we're dead."


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Jie feeds Feng an apple to calm him down while she grabs the remaining Shield and Longbow and arrows. "There is some sort of black tower rising from the middle of the square and hobgoblins are pouring out it. The town is going to be overrun in minutes, so we'd better hurry." Athe crash in the kitchen she asks. "I think we'd better use the back door of this place, too many hobs out front. So who wants to see what the noise is?"

If someone volunteers or if Benedict uses his trickery:
She stores the shield on Feng and covers the volunteer with her shortbow when he or she opens the door.

Otherwise:
With a grimace Jie readies the shield and opens the door, looking inside but being defensive. She offers a prayer I apologize for the use of the metal shield. But it is needed.

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Grum lifts his sword and walks to the backdoor, ready to attack any hobgoblin which jumps out at him.

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 9

Readied action to attack any hobgoblin he sees

Hit: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Damage without the swift action arcane strike due to it being a readied attack: 2d4 + 9 ⇒ (1, 1) + 9 = 11


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Just to clarify, the door Jie is talking about is the door to the kitchen. Is there a back door in the common room we are in or do we need to go through the kitchen to get to the back door?


Chang Jie wrote:
Just to clarify, the door Jie is talking about is the door to the kitchen. Is there a back door in the common room we are in or do we need to go through the kitchen to get to the back door?

The northern door is the only "back door" and it leads into the kitchen. The front door is to the south, and of course there is still the stairs that lead to the inn's second floor as well. If either the kitchen or the second floor have an exterior entrance, you'd need to enter them to find out.

I will have the next scene up in a few hours.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Benedict quietly says "I've got this."
He becomes shorter and stockier. His eyes shrink and his skin takes on a grey hue. Small fangs appear. He walks through the kitchen door, sword and shield out.
Taking 10 on Disguise for a 24 with the different race penalty.


The Taproot’s kitchen and pantry line the back wall of the building and normally store plenty of food, but much of it has been looted or destroyed by Legion soldiers. A trap door in the pantry floor leads down to the root cellar, and another door leads out to the northeast, hanging half open on broken hinges. What little food and supplies remain here are currently being ruined as a young soldier searches for hidden valuables.

Initiatives:
Jie: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Lissa: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Amkarang: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Grum: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Benedict: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

Ironfang recruit: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Initiative Order:
Lissa and Jie, then
Ironfang recruit, then
Grum, Amkarang, and Benedict.

Jie and Lissa, you're up.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Jie seems nonplussed as to Benedict's change of appearance. She steps aside from the door to just out of sight, bow at ready, listening intently. She is ready to act should Benedict's ploy fail.

Her action is to delay until after just after either the Hob attacks or Benedict acts.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Two questions:
Is the smithy adjacent to the Trading Company, since the same dwarf runs both?
What directions are the Trading Company and the bridge from here?


Benedict the Clever wrote:

Two questions:

Is the smithy adjacent to the Trading Company, since the same dwarf runs both?
What directions are the Trading Company and the bridge from here?

1) Yes. They are two halves of the same building.

2) If you imagine the Market Green as circular (it isn't, really, but this is close enough) and straight up 12 o'clock is north, then the Inn is at 12:00, the bridge is at 1:00, the Trading Company is at 6:30, Oreld's Shop is at 4:00, and the Riverwood Shrine is at 8:30.

And the big stone tower is right where the clock hands come together in the middle.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

So if we need to hit the additional three places and then the bridge, it seems we should go widdershins around the circle. Ie finish up here at the Inn, then the Shrine, then the Trading Company and then Oreld's shop. And then the Bridge and escape.


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

Sounds right. Worst case we fail and try again with another set of fighters in true Fighting Man style. (If the fighting man lives to level 2, he gets a name.)

Lissa keeps watch on the other door, aware of the army raging beyond, and keeping guard on Jie's flank.

Ready an attack if any hostile comes near Jie/Lissa.


The Ironfang soldier in the kitchen looks up to see Benedict in the doorway. He gestores toward the doorway to the common room, then points toward the trapdoor in the floor. "Të gjitha përfundoi në atje? Unë mendoj se ka disa skllevër që mund të pretendojnë poshtë në bodrum ende."

Goblin:
"All finished in there? I think there are some slaves we can claim down in the cellar still."

Grum, Amkarang, and Benedict, you are up.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Benedict growls at the hobgoblin, seeking to pull rank.

Goblin:

"Whelp, are you a burglar or a soldier? I bested their warriors, I will take the slaves. I have a mission for you. The ones I took begged for their lives with information. Their ranger leader left just before we arrived. Headed north. Get a squad after her."

Bluff: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19, hopefully with some circumstance bonuses for plausibility.


GM Screen:
Recruit's Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Recruit's Bluff: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8
Benedict's Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

The soldier frowns, then nods. "Po sigurisht. Unë vetëm nevojë për të mbledhur një gjë të fundit," he says, starting to turn away.

Goblin:
"Yes, of course. I just need to collect one last thing."

And then he spins back around, blade flashing toward Benedict's throat. The aasimar warrior heard the doubt in the hobgoblin's voice, though, and is ready, dodging backward from the blow.

Recruit longsword attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14, damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Jie, that's your cue. Amkarang and Grum can still go as well.

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Do we know of the conflict and is it 1 or 2 move actions to come to his aid?


Since everyone was sort of on pins and needles waiting to see how it went, you all heard the exhalation of effort as the blade was swung, as well as the "thud" as the sword hit the doorframe instead of Benedict. Reaching the kitchen is only a move action, but due to the doorway itself you will have to enter the kitchen to attack the hob, and will provoke from him as you do so.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Jie steps forward to get a look into the kitchen and curses at the sight of the melee going on. She takes aim and lets loose with an arrow.
Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6
There may well be a penalty of -4 for firing into melee, Jie does not have Precise Shot

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Rather than risk exposing himself, Grum moves up to the kitchen and readies an attack should the hobgoblin come into his reach.

The plan is to safely 5ft step into melee next round. Is this possible? If not I'll just suck it up and take the aao


Chang Jie wrote:

Jie steps forward to get a look into the kitchen and curses at the sight of the melee going on. She takes aim and lets loose with an arrow.

[dice=Attack]d20+4
[dice=Damage]d6
There may well be a penalty of -4 for firing into melee, Jie does not have Precise Shot

Benedict himself is taking up most of the doorway, and between trying to avoid hitting her ally and fast moving exchange of blows between the two warriors, Jie's arrow slams into the doorframe overhead rather than into the legionnaire.

Grum Bakison wrote:

Rather than risk exposing himself, Grum moves up to the kitchen and readies an attack should the hobgoblin come into his reach.

The plan is to safely 5ft step into melee next round. Is this possible? If not I'll just suck it up and take the aao

It is possible, if Benedict cooperates with a 5 ft step of his own. Anyone else, though, would have to wait an additional round or risk the Aoo.


Aubrin disentangles herself from Amkarang's arm to free him from having to support her; she grunts in pain, but puts her weight onto the bar instead. One shaking hand - covered with her own blood - touches the shoulder of the Tian-Sing warrior, and he feels a surge of holy energy through him. Aubrin uses her touch of good, granting Amkarang a +1 sacred bonus to attacks, skill checks, ability checks and saving throws for one round. "Go get him," Aubrin murmurs heavily.

New initiative order:
Amakarang, Lissa, Benedict, then
ironfang recruit, then
Jie and Grum.

Amkarang, Lissa, Benedict, go for it.


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Amkarang smiles at the power coursing through him and locks eyes with the hobgoblin. He whirls his meteor hammer and roars, "Gladly!" Moving behind Benedict he tries to hit the hobgoblin, but his hammer crashes against the doorframe.

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

ooc:
Maps are going to matter for fighter tactics in the future, I think. I'll eat the AoO, then combat vigor if needed.

Lissa squeezes through the doorway, doing her best to dodge the hob, and slams her glaive into the creature's back, pinning it to the frame.

dice of violence:
Lyssa, Attack with glaive, BAB+str, flanking: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 + 2 = 24
Lyssa, Confirm Critical, BAB+str, flanking: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 + 2 = 20
Lyssa, Damage (Crit!) with glaive (x3 mod): 3d10 + 12 ⇒ (7, 5, 10) + 12 = 34

"If we're quite done playing with him, let's gather the supplies and get out of here. This is only going to get worse the longer we stay. Where did Jet go anyways?"

She sounds tired, but she cleans the blood and body off her glaive professionally.

Actions By Type:

Move - into flanking
Standard - Crit hobgoblin

If required after combat (we took more than 3 damage) Healing via Combat Vigor: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Assuming the recruit does not drop Lissa with an AOO crit, Benedict ducks to one side as Lissa decapitates the hobgoblin.
"He said there were people hiding in the cellar. I'll take a look outside. Move quickly."
Benedict, still looking like a hobgoblin, steps out through the northeast door to keep watch. To look like he's being a useful Ironfang and not just loitering, he'll stand outside cleaning and sharpening his sword. Nine rounds of Alter Self left.

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

Grum lowered his weapon and stared at Lissa, a look of surprise on his face. "Well struck!" He walked over to the hobgoblin who was now lying in a bloody puddle on the floor and admired the clean hit. "Though yes, you're right of course. Let's gather who we can and loot what we can carry."


Lissa is unsettlingly dangerous with that thing.

Recruit's AoO: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17, damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

The legionnaire's blade scrapes across Lissa's armor - for a moment, the Ironfang warrior stares in shock as a human appears from the common room to join Benedict's side - but he dies confused as Lissa cleanly separates his head from his neck.

While the rest of the group begins to search for anything useful on the hob or among the kitchen and pantries contents, Benedict steps outside to keep guard. Aubrin stumbles into the kitchen and calls out, "Jet! Jet, you tumble-brained girl, if you're dead, I'll strangle you with your damn scarves, see if I won't!" The words are broken up by several bouts of labored coughing, some of which includes small drops of blood, but by the end of the sentence there is a scraping below the pantry trap door, which then slowly opens. In the cellar, Jet's dusky skin and dark eyes look more shadowed than before, but she seems unharmed - and with her are a few other members of the inn's patrons who must have followed her down there in the confusion. The well-dressed dwarf - his fine white garments dirty now - and his bodyguard are among them. Five in all, the refugees climb back up the ladder and crowd into the kitchen once they are reassured that there is no immediate threat.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

With the less than a minute that he has, Benedict observes the troop movements. He tries to figure out the safest way to the Trading Company. Right before the effect wears off, he ducks back inside to report.


Benedict:
Since they all appear to be coming from the tower in the Market Green, the Ironfang Legion has yet to establish any kind of perimeter around the town. Traveling through the Market Green or on the main road that surrounds it is likely to be exceedingly dangerous - though in extremis if you just started running, it might be a coin flip as to whether you'd live to see the far side - but moving through the smaller side streets on the small town's periphery is likely to be much safer.


M Aasimar Fighter 5 (Tactician) | HP 39/39 | AC 22 (24 vs goblins), T 13, FF 19 CMD 21 | Init +4 | Perception +9 (Darkvision) | F/R/W +6/+5/+2 | Move 30' | Tactician 1/1

Benedict comes back inside, changing back to his "human" form (DC 15 perception to tell otherwise).
"They are swarming the main road and the Green, but they don't have a perimeter yet and we may be able to make it to the Trading Company through the alleys. The more spots we hit, the more of Phaendar we can save, but the greater risk of running into more soldiers, I think."
He looks around.
"I don't think any of you are from around here, are you? I am. These are good people. I would like to do what we can."


Jet looks around, a bit shakily, and asks, "Did they get upstairs? Because I had tenants..."

Sovereign Court

Dex Damage (1) Wounds (26) HP (49) Saves (8/5/5) Init (+1) AC (22/12/21, +2 vs goblinoids) Fire Resist (5) Survival (+6) Perception (+7) Intimidate (+7/+8) UMD (+9) Wand CLW (46) BB (0/1)

"I would also like to not get ourselves killed. We grab who we can, but this town is lost. The hobknobs stopping to take slaves is probably the only thing slowing them down. We avoid the main road and green, and grab anyone we see on the way."

Grum hated being 'the voice of reason' in a time like this, but a huge group of refugees fleeing would just alert the hobgoblin army and would mean that they would be run down. Best to get out alive than to die a hero.


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Jie puts up her bow after Lissa's strike, feeling a little inept, and steps into the kitchen. She smiles and tries to reassure the refugees as she looks around the room. Although looking for food to feed the group, she keeps an eye out for some old bread or seeds to feed birds.
Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
At the mention of tenants she asks Jet. "Are you saying there are people still upstairs?"


"I don't know, but there could be... if those maniacs didn't get up there first..."


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

"Then let's check. This is going to be quite the camping expedition.
Even if the people fled, we'll want the blankets."


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Jie picks up the longsword, then going back into the main room, she lays her hand on Feng tells him she'll be right back. She then warily heads up the stairs, sword drawn.
Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
She starts knocking on doors, saying "Come on downstairs. The hobgoblins are dead."


Most of the rooms Jie checks are empty, either with beds unslept-in or, in a couple cases, signs of rapid departure. But one is firmly locked, and her call is rewarded with a gruff, "Go away! You'll draw them here!"


Fighter 4 | AC 21 (22 in fortress mode, 23 w/ full attack), T 13, F 15, 20 CMD | F 6 R 4 W 1 | Init +3 | Perc +5

Amkarang follows Jie to provide backup in case of any incidents. Upon hearing the voice he gets close to the door and says, "If you stay in there, they'll find you, enslave you, and kill you. We're here to help, and if you come with you'll have a fighting chance of making it out alive. Make your choice!

Diplomacy: 1d20 ⇒ 20


Init +2 | HP 13/21 | AC: 21, T12, FF19 | Fort: +5 Ref: +2 Will: +2 (+2 vs death, +1 vs fear) | Perception +6 (LLV) Human Fighter 2 Melee: [dice=Glaive]1d20+3[/dice] [dice]1d10+4[/dice] Ranged: [dice=Sling]1d20+4[/dice] [dice]1d4+3[/dice]

Diplomacy Aid Another: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (3) - 2 = 1
Lissa is not a diplomat.

"Time to move lads, if he wants to stay and die when the inn burns down that's on him, but we can't stay any longer or this all goes bloody gorey splaty splorey on us."


Female Human Roughrider 3/ VMC (Druid) | HP 28 /28| AC 15/13T/12FF | CMD 16/13FF | Perception +5 | Sense Motive +0 | Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Jie tries to help Amkarang talk the man out of his room. "If you want an escort out of the town, then you have to leave now. We are leaving immediately."
Aid Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
She then turns to her newfound friends and shrugs.

Tien:
"Well he isn't very brave anyway"

and then starts to head back to the stairway.


There is a short pause after Amkarang's demand, but then a click announces the door unlocking. "Pssst!" you hear someone say beyond the door. "What are you doing?!"

"You heard them! If we stay, we die! I'm running, and you should too!"

The door opens, and a human man in his early thirties, dressed in well-made travelers' clothes with a fine cloak over one shoulder for a bit of class, appears in the gap. He hurriedly jumps out into the hallway, dragging a heavy cedar chest behind him. "I'm Farrow," he says. "Venison trader. That's Clidon in there, he's in aurochs jerky, but he's too scared to come out still."

51 to 100 of 2,555 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Shisumo's Why Can't Fighters Have Nice Hobgoblins? Ironfang Invasion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.