Navior's Age of Worms (Inactive)

Game Master Navior


1,551 to 1,600 of 2,094 << first < prev | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | next > last >>

So how long are you planning to watch the observatory? There have been suggestions ranging from "a little while" to "a day or two". :)


"I think we should keep an eye on the place fer a couple of hours, 'n make our move if there is no activity. Agreed?"


My only reservation about staking things out for too long would be the chance that the necro might be contacted by other parties. So I'd say we spend today watching then make our move tomorrow.


"Works for me." While waiting, Bear will check their immediate area for recent tracks.

Tracking 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7. +2 for undead tracks.

Hmmm... well, that sucked.


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

"One day it is, then. If this necromancer is contacted by other parties during this time, we should know about it. Let's find a place to watch both the observatory and the road. If a group approaches the observatory, it will probably be for no good reason, and we can attempt to intercept them."


Bear does not find any sign of recent tracks. :)

You find a nice concealed spot behind a patch of shrubs about 100 feet northeast of the observatory. It affords a view of the road lead up to the observatory, the stairs, and the main entrance. You settle down there and watch.

Taking 10 on Stealth checks will make the group's worst result 9 (Venedictus). However, with the distance penalties applied, anyone at the observatory would still have to have a very good Perception to notice the group (and that's assuming that anyone even looks in your direction).

Bear Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Dara Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17 +2 stone, +1 traps
Fredrik Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Udaya Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Venedictus Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

The day passes by slowly. You chat a bit. Bear and Udaya flirt. Sexual innuendo and puns get thrown back and forth. Some cloud cover in the afternoon threatens rain, but the rain never actually comes. No one comes along the road or leaves the observatory.

Evening settles in and the temperature drops somewhat--not terribly cold, but a little uncomfortable. As the sun sets, you see light coming from the windows on the upper floors of the observatory. Setting up watches, you continue to observe through the night. The light on the second floor flickers out around 10 p.m. or so, but the third floor stays lit well past midnight. It finally flickers out and a short time after that, you see light coming from the second floor again. That only stays lit for a few minutes, however, before going out once more.

The cold night passes and finally the sun begins to rise.

There has been no sign of anyone entering or leaving the observatory.


Navior wrote:
The day passes by slowly. You chat a bit. Bear and Udaya flirt. Sexual innuendo and puns get thrown back and forth....

UU... i think the DM is onto our game!


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1
Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
Navior wrote:
The day passes by slowly. You chat a bit. Bear and Udaya flirt. Sexual innuendo and puns get thrown back and forth....
UU... i think the DM is onto our game!

And you were both being so subtle, too!!

Sorry, DM, interrupting a bit...

If Venedictus is on watch around when the guy goes to bed, he wakes up a few of the others and whispers, "Now, I'm no mage, but if he's been conducting various magical experiments all day, won't he have cast some of his prepared spells? He'll at least be tired out. Let's take him, now."

"Besides, it's probably warmer in there."


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

LOL


Venedictus wrote:

Sorry, DM, interrupting a bit...

If Venedictus is on watch around when the guy goes to bed, he wakes up a few of the others and whispers, "Now, I'm no mage, but if he's been conducting various magical experiments all day, won't he have cast some of his prepared spells? He'll at least be tired out. Let's take him, now."

"Besides, it's probably warmer in there."

That's fair enough. I skimmed through a bunch of stuff without giving you the chance to react, so if you want to enter to the observatory during the night, you may do so.


Bear's grin is lost to the darkness, "I'm game. keep your eyes on the place. I'll wake the others."

Once the situation is explained, Bear will suggest he and Dara move first, being the stealthiest. I'd still suggest avoiding walking up the stairs if possible. Let Dara climb and drop one of our ropes, if possible. Any thoughts?


"Lead the way, Bear. Gotta make sure Pup doesn't wander off, he he."


Unless anyoen has last minute concerns or objections...

Bear and Dara set off through the cold night, trying to move like shadows across the dark ground. Stealth 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20. On the move, he switches to his shortbow and knocks an arrow. As they press themselves up against flat of the rock wall, he smiles over at the dwarven warrior and whispers, "Well, let's see if this monkey can climb, shall we? Don't forget the rope." and draws his bow back to his ear, arrow pointing up towards the structure, ready to shoot anything that appears to take notice of them. Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14. +2 against undead.


"Only one way ta find out, right?"

Climb 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Stealth 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

The dice do not favor Dara this night...

"Dammit Bear, yer foot's on tha line!" After getting the tether unstuck, she continues climbing...

Climb 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20


Oh, i see what you did there. Now tie off that line.

Once (and if) she gets to the top and ties it off, Bear will turn and wave over the rest of the crew, quickly turning back around to cover the walls with his bow.


Which side are you going up? Are you trying to get to the door (just without using the stairs) or one of the windows?


To the left of the door, so we can hopefully scoot along the base of the building to the door and see if it's locked/trapped, then also have access to windows if we decide that's a better approach. Didn't you say earlier that was the easiest climb, too?


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
To the left of the door, so we can hopefully scoot along the base of the building to the door and see if it's locked/trapped, then also have access to windows if we decide that's a better approach. Didn't you say earlier that was the easiest climb, too?

That's right. It's only a DC 15 to climb there, which Dara can manage by taking 10. It's DC 20 in other areas of the bluff, and the observatory itself is a DC 25 to climb.

After a brief mis-start, Dara climbs up the bluff just west of the door. At the top, she secures a rope and lowers it so that the others can climb up after her.

Dara Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14 +2 stone, +1 traps

Peering round the corner, Dara sees that stairs rise to a wide landing and two huge wooden doors. Shot through with dark blue colouring, the doors form an enormous round moon carved with a lunatic's jabbering face. There is an unremarkable wooden door beneath the landing as well, just as Kullen mentioned previously.


Oh...

Observatory Map Updated with characters now in position. Unfortunately, the map doesn't actually show the ground outside the observatory. However, there is only 5 feet of space south of the observatory before the bluff begins its descent.


I'm a little confused. How do you access the solitary door beneath the landing? Is it an approach under the stairs? or do I completely misunderstand the description?


I'm kinda confused about that too. In any event, Dara will inspect it for traps, take care of any, and then let us in.

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Disable Device 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15 traps
Disable Device 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16 locks


]Yeah, sorry about that. The map and adventure text are really not very clear about the layout. It took me a little while to figure out what I think is meant and then I screwed up by just copying the adventure text description and forgetting to clarify it. Not to mention Dara's on the wrong side to be able to see the door.

Anyway, the dotted line on the landing is meant to indicate the area of the shed under the landing. The door is off the stairs as one comes up them. Dara can easily skirt across to the other side to open it up. Does she still want to do this?


I think it's worth her checking out as long as we're exploring our options for an entrance. However, I'd like for her to wait until we've got the rest of the crew up the wall before she does any more exploring. Work for you, Dara?


Well then, Dara will get into the correct position and then proceed with what I thought she was already doing (i.e. getting us in thru back door).


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
I think it's worth her checking out as long as we're exploring our options for an entrance. However, I'd like for her to wait until we've got the rest of the crew up the wall before she does any more exploring. Work for you, Dara?

I presume you mean up the side of the bluff so that you're against the wall rather than climbing the observatory wall yourselves.

Dara moves across the landing and to the stairs. From there, she proceeds to examine the door. Finding no sign of any traps, she tries it and finds it lock. Her first attempt to pick it does not succeed.

Disable Device: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
Disable Device: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

After a couple more tries though, she gets it open.

Dara Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24 +2 stone, +1 traps
Tomb mote stealth: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28

As she does so, a tiny creature jumps at her. It is vaguely humanoid in shape, but appears to be made out of shards of hair, bits of teeth, and matted hair. It takes her by surprise.

SURPRISE ROUND

Tomb mote bite: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Damage: 1d4 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1
Dara Fortitude: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Its teeth sink into her ankle, but only doing minimal damage.

Bear Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Dara Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Fredrik Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Udaya Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Venedictus Initiative: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (7) + 0 = 7
Tomb mote Initiative: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Order: Fredrik, Tomb Mote, Udaya, Dara, Bear, Venedictus.

The others hear a tiny, high-pitched squeal of glee and then Dara yell.

ROUND 1

Up First: Fredrik

Map Updated
Note: Dara and the creature are below the level of the landing.


"Son of a– I'm short but I ain't snack-sized ya runt!"

waraxe 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
dmg 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


Fredrik curses under his breath, and moves into position to fire his blinding ray.

Attack Ranged Touch 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
As a standard action you can fire a shimmering ray at any foe within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack. The ray causes creatures to be blinded for 1 round. Creatures with more Hit Dice than your wizard level are dazzled for 1 round instead.


NVm, apparently i was wrong... ignore this post.


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Assuming UU can get into a position to strike at the wee beast...

Standard Action - Single Hit (scimitar crit: 18+/x2):
To Hit: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Fredrik moves across the landing and fires down at the ugly creature at Dara's feet. The ray hits it right in the head. He gets an additional +1 to his hit roll for being on higher ground, hitting AC 19. It is dazzled.

The creature squeals and shakes its head. Then with crazy speed it bites at Dara twice.

Tomb mote bite: 1d20 + 6 - 1 ⇒ (18) + 6 - 1 = 23
Tomb mote bite: 1d20 + 6 - 1 ⇒ (6) + 6 - 1 = 11
Damage: 1d4 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3

It again sinks its teeth into her leg again, more deeply this time. It pulls away laughing. On its second attempt, it fails to get her.

Next Up: Udaya, Dara, Bear, Venedictus, Fredrik, Tomb Mote.

Map Updated


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
This is a surprise round, right? And we don't have Line of Sight to the little bugger? If this is the case, the best Freddy can do is move to get Line of Sight. We also have no grid, so movement is gonna be a little dicey. Also (double-also there), would we have line of sight to where Dara and the little blighter are from the south or from the east?

No, this is round 1, as stated in the same post that the surprise round occurred in. Only the little beast got to act in the surprise round. You do not have line of sight to the creature until you move up to the edge of the landing (squares AC24 and AC25) or onto the stairs.

Udaya moves up beside Fredrik and stabs at the beast, but she unfortunately doesn't reach quite far enough down. She too gets a +1 for being on higher ground, raising her attack to 16. Unfortunately, that's still a miss.

Dara attacks, but the combination of swinging so close to herself and its quick dodging means she is unable to hit it.

Next Up: Bear, Venedictus, Fredrik, Tomb Mote, Udaya, Dara.

Map Updated


"Get the hell OFF!"

Waraxe 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
dmg 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10


If I can get into melee...

Bear hustles up next to the little bugger, dropping his bow and pulling Kalath on the way, and levels an arcanically charged slice at the tiny antagonist.

Kalath 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18; damage 2d4 + 7 ⇒ (3, 2) + 7 = 12.
If he flanks with anyone, add a +2 to the attack roll.

If not...

Bear steps around the corner, and eschews the use of his bow in order to hit it with a telekenetic strike.

Telekenetic Fist (ranged touch attack) 1d20 + 3 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 3 - 4 = 10 Shooting into melee; damage 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2.


Dara seriously considers whether it would be safer to just jump down the cliff what with everyone swinging at her legs. O_o;


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Dance, Dara, dance!


Bear is able to move up past Fredrik and onto the stairs. The creature is Tiny sized and has no reach, so it gets no attack of opportunity. He brings down his blade and quite literally chops away the entire left side of the creature. It squeals in rage and quite amazingly does not drop, but apparently wants to keep fighting. It's undead state is now quite apparent.

Up Next: Venedictus, Fredrik, Tomb Mote, Udaya, Dara, Bear.

Map Updated


Given Vene's thus far not-so-stellar melee capabilities, how about we just leave this to the people who know what they're doing with a melee weapon? He won't be able to heal anyone if he hits Dara and gets Sparta-kicked off the mountain.


Dara Hellhammer wrote:
Given Vene's thus far not-so-stellar melee capabilities, how about we just leave this to the people who know what they're doing with a melee weapon? He won't be able to heal anyone if he hits Dara and gets Sparta-kicked off the mountain.

Heh, the image of Venedictus tumbling off the mountain in return for hitting Dara is quite amusing. :) However, I suspect he might try channelling energy, thus both harming the mote and healing Dara simultaneously. Either that or he might try out his new inspire courage ability. I'll give him a chance to decide.


Actually, he won't be able to get into a spot where he can get Dara and the mote with channel energy in a single move action. He may want to position himself for next round though, or use inspire courage, or cast a spell, or... Anyway, I'll let him decide. Only fair. :)


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

I'm sure Venedictus will just charge in, see the situation is hopeless, and bullrush the six of us off the cliff to a grisly but heroic end...

Of more likely, he'll advance 20 feet (he's not dropping his extra gear here lest it go over the side), still not be able to see anything and continue on around the corner, ending up behind Udaya, not able to do anything this round other than move.


So I now get my Favored Enemy bonus againt the thing cause now i know it's undead?


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
So I now get my Favored Enemy bonus againt the thing cause now i know it's undead?

Doh! You actually should have gotten that right from the start. I just forgot that you had it. Sorry, haven't gotten used to everyone's changes since going up a level. [Hangs head in shame.] The extra damage was enough to kill it (it only had 1 hp left).

Venedictus moves up to discover the battle is already over.


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Venedictus pants and gasps as he comes around the corner. He looks down at the tiny thing, back up at the group, and comments innocently, "That little thing caused all this commotion?"


"Actually, we were planning your surprise birthday party... way to ruin it." He kicks around the remains of the creature. "This has been an odd few days. Swimming undead, flying testicle thing, and now this."

So, heal Dara up and send her in first?

Bear sneaks back around the corner to retrieve his bow (if it's still on the wall with them), but stows it, keeping Kalath in hand.


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Venedictus burns a bless spell to cast cure light on Dara.
1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Then channels energy
1d6 ⇒ 3


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Since we have the door cracked... UU will do a general Detect Evil sweep on the inside of the building seeing if we have anything else waiting to jump us.


Freddie will bring up the rear, making sure Pup stays close to him, and petting him as needed to keep him quiet.


"That 'little thing' sure had a good appetite. 'preciate the healin' hand, Vene."


Fredrik "Flash" Williams wrote:
Freddie will bring up the rear, making sure Pup stays close to him, and petting him as needed to keep him quiet.

Actually, I'd prefer if Bear brought up the rear... putting some meat between potential surprise rear threats and our softer party members. That and he's as blind in dark houses as the two other mage-types. He will be moving silently as possibly, regardless.


The door opens into a small shed under the landing. There are a few old tools hanging on the walls (hammers, chisels, etc.), all covered in dust and cobwebs. The room doesn't look used in a long time. There are no other apparent ways out.

Bear Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Dara Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26 +2 stone, +1 traps
Fredrik Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Udaya Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Venedictus Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Udaya does not detect any evil coming from the shed. A search through the shed does not reveal any hidden doors. It would seem that the only way into the observatory is indeed the main moon-shaped doors on the landing.

1,551 to 1,600 of 2,094 << first < prev | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Navior's Age of Worms All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.