Navior's Age of Worms (Inactive)

Game Master Navior


1,451 to 1,500 of 2,094 << first < prev | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | next > last >>

Since Bear doesnt have low-light vision, i'm thinking nearly as far back as he can without losing sight of them.


Dara's darkvision is 60-ft so we'll stay within about 55' — just far close enough for Dara to charge.


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
Since Bear doesnt have low-light vision, i'm thinking nearly as far back as he can without losing sight of them.

It's almost a full moon tonight, so there's a decent amount of light. He could stay back with Dara and be able to just make them out.

In their drunken state, Kullen and his cronies are considered to have the sickened condition, applying a -2 penalty to their Perception checks on top of the -5 distance penalty. As the highest Perception bonus amongst them is +6, none of them have any chance of getting a 24 (to notice Bear) or 27 (to notice Dara), so they do not notice you.

The four of them stumble across the square and past the Hungry Gar, laughing raucously. They head south along the road there towards Jalek's Flophouse. At the flophouse, they pause momentarily, still talking amongst themselves and punctuating the discussion with laughter and belches. After a couple of minutes, Rastophan, Todrik, and Meravinn head into the flophouse. Kullen continues along the street past the building. He then turns southwest on Front Street and heads towards the first building there, an old warehouse that has been converted into a run-down home of sorts.


Bear continues shadowing him through the streets, and when he realizes Kullen is heading for a specific building, he knows the time for action is approaching.

But first, does the building appear to be abandoned? Or does it seem like there are people inside? Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9. Sigh.. and my luck with the dice lately continues.

Oh yah, and stealth 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27. Same distance (50 - 55ft back) and in the shadows, if possible.


There are no lights coming from the building he's heading to, so there's no indication of anyone else inside (although they might all be asleep). It's a pretty rundown building (most buildings in this part of town are rundown, and they're mostly old warehouses that have been converted into cheap housing for miners) with many of the windows boarded up. The roof appears to have holes in a few places.


Bear, seizing the moment of surprise, rushes forward, trying to sweep the huge half-orc's legs out from under him. Here's to hoping i get some backup.

Charge ending with a trip attack against my (hopefully) flat-footed opponent 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 5 + 2 = 20.THe +2 is for charge, so my AC is dropped to 14 til my next turn.

Initiative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17.

If he falls...

"You'll stay on the ground and keep your mouth shut, if you're smart, bub. My friends and I have some questions for ya."


Seeing Bear move, Dara will charge using her previous rolls and attempt to KO the probable mage with her sneak attack.

Init 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

"Plenty more where that came from fellas, no moves or I finish off your pal and start on you!"

Dara wrote:

Added +2 to attack for her charge

Waraxe 1d20 + 5 + 2 - 1 => (17) + 5 + 2 - 1 + 2 = 25 rage, power attack, charge, vs. flat-footed
dmg 1d8 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 1d6 => (3) + 2 + 2 + 2 + 3 + (1) = 13 rage, two-handed, power attack, sneak attack


Fredrik sees Bear start his charge, and thinks, "Aww, crap! It's too soon!" He takes a handful of sand and starts chanting softly...

Cast Sleep on Kullen, which is a Full round action, burst centered on the half-orc. Will Save DC 16

Initiative 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17


Dara... um, i think we're only dealing with Kullen at this point. THe other three went into some other building, I think.


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
Dara... um, i think we're only dealing with Kullen at this point. THe other three went into some other building, I think.

Yep, the others went into Jalek's Flophouse. It's just Kullen who is now lying flat on the ground.

Kullen falls face first into the dirt. With a yell of rage, he looks up to see Bear and Dara looking over him.

Fredrik, are you sure you want to cast sleep at this point? It starts with the creatures of lowest HD (and only amongst those of equal HD does closeness to the centre count). You don't know Kullen's HD, but if his is lowest or equal to the group's, there would still be enough HD left over to affect at least one of Dara and Bear. If his is highest, then it would affect Dara and Bear before affecting Kullen.

Kullen Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

I'm not going to bother with a map, as I don't expect this to be something that goes beyond a single round. In his current state, subduing him shouldn't be too difficult. If it does turn into a bigger battle, then I'll put a map up. :)

Bear gets to act first!


"Stay down and shut it!" Bear steels his body to grab the half-orc if he does anything but throw his hands up in submission.

Ready an action to grapple if he does anything but sit there quietly... 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13. I'm banking on the fact that I got him on initiative and he's prone here... hopefully which will deny him his AoO... hopefully.


OK, let me amend my action,and change it to a move action, and ready a Color Spray instead, in case he tries to run away, and leaving himself open to attack.


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Seeing everyone spring into action, UU follows suit and runs towards the 'battle'.

Navior, I could use some details here. How far is UU from the battle? Was UU in sight of Kullen and is a straight shot so she could flatout run? Her goal is to get into it as fast as possible if the half-orc isn't down. Let me know what rolls you need.


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

I think we're about 100 feet away from the scuffle. Venedictus keeps a wary eye out on the shadows and non-boarded windows of the nearby buildings.

Double move towards the battle, ending roughly 60 feet away (he's not dropping his stuff in this neighbourhood, so only moves 20).


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
Dara... um, i think we're only dealing with Kullen at this point. THe other three went into some other building, I think.

I swear, I think either posts are not appearing for me or I've lost the capacity to derive information from reading. >.>


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:

"Stay down and shut it!" Bear steels his body to grab the half-orc if he does anything but throw his hands up in submission.

Ready an action to grapple if he does anything but sit there quietly... 1d20 + 5. I'm banking on the fact that I got him on initiative and he's prone here... hopefully which will deny him his AoO... hopefully.

He doesn't get an AoO because he doesn't threaten you (no weapon drawn and he doesn't have Improved Unarmed Strike). He takes a -4 penalty to his CMD because he's prone, and you also get a +1 bonus for being "on higher ground", which gives you just enough to win the grapple check (his CMD is 18).

Venedictus is right that Udaya and the others are about 100 feet back, which means Udaya can run in with a full-round action.

"Who the hell do you think you are?" Kullen yells as he tries to stand. Bear puts a foot on top of him and holds him place. Kullen's face goes red with rage, and he looks about to try something else, but he backs down when he sees Dara ready to whack him one too, and then Udaya running in. "You're gonna regret this when Smenk learns of it," Kullen grumbles.


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

I'm assuming we want a private chat with this guy, right? So I'm thinking we (as a group) with a couple of people ready to thwack or spell him, gag him, tie him up tight, pull his weapons, pick him up and press him against the wall.

"Is this your house? Just nod if it is.." Assuming he nods...

"Nice house, very homey. Listen, we only wanna chat with you. You answer our questions - you'll be in good shape. So, anyone else home we need to know about before we go in? Bear in mind - if you've got a friend in there you want to save as a surprise for us... it only makes sense for us to kill you first before we handle your buddy."


"Dara, find some rope and tie him up while I hold him, will ya?"

Looking to tie him up, gag him with a sock, and take him with us.


Kullen nods in response to Udaya's first question. He shakes his head when she asks if there is anyone else inside the house. All the while he maintains an angry scowl on his face.


CMB 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 3 + 2 = 6 AA from pin

Dara fumbles with the ropes and after tying a know frowns as the whole thing comes undone.

"Son of a... can't I just knock his ass out first?"

CMB 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 3 + 2 = 8

The dwarf glowers and a low growl rises from her throat.

CMB 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 3 + 2 = 7

"Oh to hell with this!"

She hefts her waraxe, ready to lay into Kullen and it takes UU to get her to simmer down.

Intimidate:
Dara 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13 AA on UU
UU 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 8 + 2 = 16 AA from Dara

"Better be glad these guys want to talk, I just wanted to beat some ass!"


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

"Woah there, Shorty! You may get your chance to split skulls. Our buddy Kullen here says there ain't nobody home. If he's lying to us, you get first crack at him. So, Kullen, you wanna stick with your story that this is your place and it is TOTALLY empty?"


"I said it's empty, didn't I?" Kullen growls.


When they get moving, Bear motions with his head to where he dropped his blade, "Will one of you return that to it's sheath?"

Be back on in the morning.


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

"Can we get this show inside, please? The streets are empty for the moment, but that won't last long."


Fredrik nods at Vene and scans outside to make sure they have not drawn any attention.

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 4


"Not a bad idea, there..."

Dara checks to see if the door is locked. If so, she opens it and scans the room within for lurkers before she waves everyone in.

disable device 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28


The door is locked, but the lock is of quite poor quality and Dara gets it open easily. Once inside, Dara sees no people lurking about. The inside is mostly one large room with a few wooden partitions to create separate "rooms". Clothes lie strewn about the rough floor. There is a single table, a couple of chairs, and a couple of lockers. One of the partitioned areas contains a mattress with some ratty blankets on it.

The group pulls/pushes Kullen inside and closes the door behind them.


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

UU secures Kullen to a chair and acts as his watchdog while glancing around the room.

Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

"Why don't some of you take a look around. See if we can find any clues related to what we want to know."


Something in the way Udaya carried herself warned Fredrik this would be a poor time for any wisecracks. "Yes, Udaya."

He motions to Vene, "C'mon, this may get noisy."

He looks around for any signs of paperwork or any other clues, or anything else of note.

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 10


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

"Noisy?" Venedictus asks obliviously. "They can't be too noisy, or they'll alert people that there's trouble here."

Perception check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18


Fredrik "Flash" Williams wrote:
"Yes, Udaya."

Dara glares at Freddie and whaps him in the thigh, before whispering, "What the hell guy? Don't go droppin' our f%&$in' names! Now c'mon an' help me"

Bluff 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (10) - 2 = 8

Sense Motive DC 8:
You get the feeling that she has half a mind to c0ck-punch you for that.

After admonishing the young mage to wise-up, the surly dwarf sets about looking for whatever it was that everyone else came for. (Yes, she pretty much just wanted to drink and fight tonight. ;)

Perception 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 8 + 2 = 21 AA from Freddie the Mouth


I'm assuming somebody sheathed my blade.

Bear, still in control of the half-orc, "Hey, songbird…" and he gestures to Venny, "bring me that rope and that chair."

When Venny does, he will tie him to the chair.

Bear never officially got him Pinned, which is technically required before tying someone up. If you want us to jump through those hoops, I can. Let me know and I'll make the requisite rolls.

Also, about using our names... while i'm fine being careful here. I don't think it would be difficult for someone to find out information about us based on all our backgrounds and the fact that the town is not very big.

Also, Udaya, I'm gonna let you take the lead on any information-getting from this guy, feel free to roll AA for Bear for any intimidates you do.


Fredrik shoots the dwarf a glare and mutters under his breath, "Yeah, its not like she isn't instantly recognizable, not to mention Bear. Hell i don't think anonimity has ever been our strong suit."

Well said, Bear. You can tell Freddie is new at this stuff, he he.


Fredrik "Flash" Williams wrote:
"Yeah, its not like she isn't instantly recognizable, not to mention Bear. Hell i don't think anonimity has ever been our strong suit."

"Nothin' like makin' it a sure thing then, huh?"


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:

When Venny does, he will tie him to the chair.

Bear never officially got him Pinned, which is technically required before tying someone up. If you want us to jump through those hoops, I can. Let me know and I'll make the requisite rolls.

No need for any rolls. He's stopped resisting. He's not the brightest individual and he's drunk, but even he knows he's outmatched at the moment.

Bear gets Kullen tied to the chair while Fredrik and Venedictus search the building. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot else in here. There's no evidence that anyone other than Kullen lives here. That's a little bit surprising for this part of town, but given Kullen's reputation, he probably bullied any other residents into leaving. The partitions do look to have been laid out to create multiple "bedrooms", but there's nothing in most of them.


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Actually, we are probably better playing this as a group thing.
Vene (Diplomacy +10) = Good Cop
UU (Intimidate +8) = Bad Cop
Dara = Mel Gibson Crazy-Ass Cop (getting to say all the best lines! :))
Bear = Glowering Enforcer (assisting Bad Cop and Mel Gibson)
Flash = Kindly Rookie (assisting Good Cop)
I'll start...

UU takes a seat on the table facing Kullen and has Bear shift Kullen's chair to face her fully. She rests her scimitar on the table next to her and smiles pleasantly at him. Her words stand in sharp contrast.

"I was sent to this stinking sh!t-hole of a town to 'root out and destroy evil' six months ago. I've been bored and angry every day since. That's a lot of 'pissed off' I haven't been able to do anything with...
And then YOU came along like a God-send. Body-snatching? That's EVIL. Desecrating graves? EVIL. Whatcha' doin' with the corpses, hm? Can't get a real girl so you f%@! them instead? That is major league EVIL. Oh, yeah, Sugar-Britches you just made me a VERY happy girl. I'm gonna go to town on YOU, your three friends at Jalek's, AND your boss Smenk. He's gonna be real happy to know that you dropped his name before we even roughed you up."
UU looks gleeful. "Don't feel you have to spill your guts too soon... like I said, I've had to wait for 6 months to get a chance to go to work on a corpse-f@#$ing piece-of-sh!t like you. I'm in no hurry."

Intimidate 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Bear AA 1d20 ⇒ 4


Kinda busy working on setting up a big-ass meat-grin– um... I mean encounter right now so feel free to ad-lib Dara's lines for a bit. I'm a bit rusty on my Lethal Weapon quotes anyway. ;P

Dara's Intimidate is +2


Kullen quivers visibly as Udaya finishes her rant. "Corpses?" he blurts. "You're here about that? Look, we weren't happy about job, okay! We don't like digging up graves anymore than you do. But it was coin, all right? You ever try to live in this gods-damned town or are you just too caught up in your righteous better-than-thou attitude? Mine work don't exactly bring in the coin. We did a job that we got paid for. We didn't like it, but we did it. You got a problem with that?"


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

For DARA:

After the search reveals no corpses or evidence thereof...

Dara returns after searching, hefts her axe experimentally while eyeing Kullen, and says, "Well, didn't find the bodies... guess we're gonna have to beat the information out of him. Where do ya wanna start? He's a rapist... maybe we start at the middle and work our way up?"

Intimidate (AA to UU's previous roll) 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11


"Rapist?" Kullen growls. He's trying to look angry, but his face has gone very pale and he's even shivering a little. "I ain't never raped anyone. I ain't never needed to! The ladies come to me willingly. As for the bodies, if you want 'em, you can go get 'em, 'cause I don't have them anymore. We gave 'em to that creep, Filge. He's the one who paid us for this damn job, and I don't care if you beat the crap out of him. I lost one of my best mates on that job. Skutch was like a brother to me!"


What would we know about Filge? Do we need to roll some KNowledge (local) for that or something?


For VENE:

Vene walks over and gazes at Kullen with a kindly expression on his face. "Ok you said a Filge was behind this horrible deed. Can you tell us all you know about him?"

Diplomacy 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 10 + 2 = 30 AA Freddie
Freddie AA Diplomacy 1d20 ⇒ 17


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
What would we know about Filge? Do we need to roll some KNowledge (local) for that or something?

You know nothing of him. You've never heard the name before now. :)

Kullen looks at Venedictus and actually relaxes a bit. "Look man, you look like a nice guy. If I tell you where you can find Filge, you'll see to it that these others let me go, right? I might even agree not to come lookin' for them later."


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

UU slowly draws her blade and stares at Kullen. "Sugar-Britches, my plan was to take your skull, then your three friends' heads, and then maybe your boss'... I'm still not convinced he isn't in on this deal. Get this through your thick skull... YOU need to be protected from US, not the other way around. Big Man," She looks at Bear, "I think it is time to proceed to Phase 2. I think you had an idea you wanted to try? I think we have a volunteer here..."

Intimidate 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19


Kullen's eyes swing to 'Big Man', who has found a copper rod on the floor somewhere and is walking back up with a measuring look in his eyes as he regards it.

"Thanks, babe." He halts next to the bound half-orc and holds the bar upright between them for a few seconds, again, seeming to be guaging something. "I've never done this before, bub, so it could get messy…"

He walks around behind Kullen so he can't see Bear's movements without straining, "I'm gonna start by cramming this up your @ss. Then I'm gonna use one of my tricks to enlarge it to double or triple its size… like i said… never seen it before." He finishes walking slowly back into Kullen's field of view, smiling wickedly. "Should be fun, though."

Back to you, fellas… :)

Intimidate AA 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5. Dang... oh well, it's still funny.


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
Intimidate AA 1d20 - 1. Dang... oh well, it's still funny.

Isn't that always the way? :) As it happens though, Udaya's Intimidate checks have been pretty strong on their own.

Kullen's face goes utterly white. "Okay, okay, I'll tell you everything! This guy Filge, some old friend of Smenk's from years back, came into town a few weeks ago. He's some nutso necromancer from Kaer Maga. He's hidin' out in the old observatory north of town. Smenk had me and the boys help him move in. That seemed to be the end of it. But a few days ago, Filge comes to us sayin' he's got a special job for us that he's willin' to pay handsomely for. So we says sure, anything for a bit o' gold. Then he tells us he wants us to get him bones. Dead bodies. Well, we weren't to happy about that. We ain't grave robbers! But we'd already said we'd take the job, and it was gold that we desperately needed. So we agree. We knew we couldn't go to the Boneyard, as that's always under the watch of the priests of Pharasma, so we start searchin' the local abandoned farms, and lo and behold, we found one with its own personal grave. We dug 'em up. Then Skutch says we should search the old house for any old valuables. This seemed like a good idea so we did, and then we meet this horrid beast thing. It kills Skutch before we can make our escape. We beat it back to town as fast as we could and delivered the skeletons to Filge, and we told him we ain't never doin' another job like that for him again, no matter how much he pays us. And that's the whole truth. I swear it!"


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Sense Motive (trying to get a sense if he is being truthful) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

UU looks disappointed she might not get to torture this guy. She glances over at Flash, "Slick, go get Pup. Right now."

When Flash returns with Pup, UU notes Kullen's response to it. "Kullen, this is Pup. His mother ate your buddy. WE killed his mom, without taking a scratch. You best consider what that says about our ability to handle you and your friends. But that ain't the real reason Pup is here. See Pup, like his mom, is a hungry beast. Food is expensive. I was intending on letting him snack on you until you answered our questions... but now Pup is going hungry. So here's the point I want to make: IF we let you go... and you or your buddies even look like you are thinking about making trouble for us, I'm going to feed ALL of you to him - feet first. It'll probably take him the better part of 2 days to finish the job. Get it? You cross us and you die by inches."


Fredrik mutters a colorful curse under his breath, which he picked up from Dara earlier. Once the group is out of earshot of Kullen, he says quietly, ”A necromancer! S***! That means these corpses may have been animated by this guy Filge. If that is the case, we need to be careful so we don’t obliterate the bones!”

Knowledge, Arcana 1d20 + 10 - 2 ⇒ (8) + 10 - 2 = 16 Prohibited school.


Udaya Udas wrote:
Sense Motive (trying to get a sense if he is being truthful) 1d20+7

He seems to be telling the truth. He looks far too terrified to be able to lie.


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

UU watches Kullen for a moment, "I actually think I believe you. You might make it out of this in one piece. So, the observatory - tell us about it's layout, where you dropped the bodies, etc.? And Smenk - he's close with this Filge guy? What is Smenk up to in town... aside from being a copper-pinching greedy miner."

1,451 to 1,500 of 2,094 << first < prev | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Navior's Age of Worms All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.