Navior's Age of Worms (Inactive)

Game Master Navior


1,601 to 1,650 of 2,094 << first < prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | next > last >>

After UU is done looking about for any other undead, Dara resumes her spot at the front, searches for traps, and steps inside.

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16


With the shed layer seemingly going nowhere, Bear gathers the group together, "Looks like we have to go in through the front door or a window... I'd rather try for a window if possible. Anybody think otherwise?"


Well at this time at least I don't feel blind for not having seen that, looks like Nav and I posted at the exact same time.


Yeah, a window would be best, it's not like he is expecting company, right?"


"Not 'til his little pal mistook me for a turkey leg anyway..."


Is there any easy way for you to show us where the windows are? If not, Bear's suggestion is they go in a window that they haven't seen a light through - hoping to go into a relatively unused room or somesuch... instead of droppin in on this guys' bedroom or lab or something.


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
Is there any easy way for you to show us where the windows are? If not, Bear's suggestion is they go in a window that they haven't seen a light through - hoping to go into a relatively unused room or somesuch... instead of droppin in on this guys' bedroom or lab or something.

I've zoomed out the map so that you can see the outlines of the upper two floors. Second floor is the top right. Third floor is top left. I've added a letter W beside the location of each window. The W's down the middle "between" the two floors apply to both floors (i.e. there are three windows on the west side of the second floor and three windows on the east side of the third floor). There are no windows on the first floor.


Kullen's Description wrote:
"The observatory has three floors," Kullen says. "We didn't spend a lot of time in there when we helped him move in. We just helped him get his equipment inside. He was setting up a lab or somethin' on the top floor, and his bedroom and study on the second. The main floor has two sections to it. That's about all I really know. When we dropped off the bodies, we just dropped 'em off at the front door. Oh yeah, you have to climb a bunch o' stairs to get to the front door, and there's another door under the front door that leads to a storage closet or somethin'."
While we were observing… wrote:
The light on the second floor flickers out around 10 p.m. or so, but the third floor stays lit well past midnight. It finally flickers out and a short time after that, you see light coming from the second floor again. That only stays lit for a few minutes, however, before going out once more.

"Based on what we saw, I'm hopin' he's in bed on the second floor. No guarantee, I guess." He points to the window that Venny saw go out last. "So I'd like to avoid that one. If we were all little monkeys," He smiles at Dara, "I'd suggest we go in on the third floor. As it is, I think we should pick the window on teh second floor farthest from where we saw him go to bed. Unless someone's got a better idea."

I'm not sure which exact window Bear is talking about (since we don't know which window we saw teh light through), but I think the one on the second floor farthest from that should be our starting place. I don't fancy someone fumbling a roll near the third floor and dying on impact.


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Venedictus gulps as he gazes upwards. "Just make sure you pick a window big enough for us all to fit through, and by 'us all', I mean Bear. He's a big guy, after all."


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
I'm not sure which exact window Bear is talking about (since we don't know which window we saw teh light through), but I think the one on the second floor farthest from that should be our starting place. I don't fancy someone fumbling a roll near the third floor and dying on impact.

You saw the light through all but one of the windows on the north and east sides, indicating that the second floor is mostly one big room. However, the eastern-most window on the north wall did not have the light coming from it. You can't be sure of the west and south walls as you could not see those sides from where you were observing.


Navior wrote:
You saw the light through all but one of the windows on the north and east sides, indicating that the second floor is mostly one big room. However, the eastern-most window on the north wall did not have the light coming from it. You can't be sure of the west and south walls as you could not see those sides from where you were observing.

"Yeah, that window seems to be our best bet, too risky to climb tot he third floor. Hopefully that window doesn't lead right to the guardroom, he he."


Because of the stairs, the only way to get under that window is to go the long way around the building. So you do that, pressed up against the side to avoid falling down the bluff. After a couple minutes, you get yourselves into position.

It's just under a 15-ft climb to the window, so Dara can make the climb with just a single check. It's DC 25 without a rope, which is risky even for Dara. So I presume she'll want to throw a grapple up and climb that way.

Dara pulls out her grapple and throws it for the ledge just below the window. It's a difficult throw because she can't move back far from the wall, so it takes a couple of tries to get it in a position where it's also secure. Once it's secured, she climbs up to the ledge. Peering through the window, she can see a large storage closet. Six sets of nearly identical sleeveless long coats hang there along with numerous shirts and pairs of breeches. The tall window is closed and latched from the opposite side.

Map Updated
I've also added a token for Pup, whom I forgot to include previously. :)


Navior wrote:

Because of the stairs, the only way to get under that window is to go the long way around the building. So you do that, pressed up against the side to avoid falling down the bluff. After a couple minutes, you get yourselves into position.

It's just under a 15-ft climb to the window, so Dara can make the climb with just a single check. It's DC 25 without a rope, which is risky even for Dara. So I presume she'll want to throw a grapple up and climb that way.

Dara pulls out her grapple and throws it for the ledge just below the window. It's a difficult throw because she can't move back far from the wall, so it takes a couple of tries to get it in a position where it's also secure. Once it's secured, she climbs up to the ledge. Peering through the window, she can see a large storage closet. Six sets of nearly identical sleeveless long coats hang there along with numerous shirts and pairs of breeches. The tall window is closed and latched from the opposite side.

Map Updated
Only Dara is at the level of the window. The others are pressed against the wall on the first floor. I've also added a token for Pup, whom I forgot to include previously. :)


This is a message from Michael: Hey guys,...Lastly, please NPC Dara in AoW so that we can keep that moving forward. Since he is currently busy, I will NPC him, he he.

For DARA:

Dara waves down to the others to hold on, and then breaks out her tools, and examines the window for any various nasty surprises it may conceal. She also will look for a way to open it from the outside.

Perception 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 8 + 1 = 23 vs. traps
Disable Device 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22


Finding no traps on the window, Dara goes to work at getting it open. Although the latch is on the other side, the window swing outwards when opened, and so she's able to remove the hinges to get it open. She carefully removes the window and lowers it to the floor inside.


We're waiting for some kind of signal from Dara, so does she see/hear/experience anything new once she's inside?

If not, I would suggest either UU or Bear go up next and lift the weaker climbers up using the rope. Does UU have the strength to lift those two up (one at a time, of course).


Dara steps inside the window, the adjusts the grapple to make doubly sure it's secure. She signals down to the others that everything's okay to come up.

One at a time, the rest of you climb up the rope, assisted by those already at the top. It's a bit of a squeeze getting everyone into the room between the racks of clothes, but you manage. It's quite dark in here, so only Dara and Udaya can see well.

Are you intending to bring Pup up as well? Someone will have to carry him.


Fredrik will carry Pup up, since we don't need him struggling any more than necessary.


Bear whispers, "Dara, can you hear anything out there? If not, why don't you take a peek outside?"

I dont' want to get her caught in a fight alone, but it' be nice to send our scout out to get the lay of this floor. Frankly, I'm thinking locating this guy's bedroom and catching him sleepign may be the way to go. But, like all potentially paranoid loner types, she should be extra-vigilant for traps. Should she take Bear to sweep for arcane auras as she searches for mundane traps?


Dara presses her ear up against the door and listens.

Dara Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

She can hear light snoring come from the other side.


When Dara indicates the snoring in the next room, Bear whispers from the back, "So go in blades out or something more subtle?"

I'm fine either way, but we want this guy to tell us where those bodies are. Then we can kill him, right? Right?


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Yeah, I think we want to capture him/knock him out, truss him up and then still be careful of what spells he may be able to cast. Also, this guy could be a henchman. The necromancer might be upstairs and this could be his 'Igor'.


How about I try to slip in and get into position to see if we can quietly restrain them?


Works for me... if he catches you, give us a 'just-loud-enough' shout, and we'll come help.


Dara Hellhammer wrote:
How about I try to slip in and get into position to see if we can quietly restrain them?

You go, stealth monkey, he he


Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12 traps on the door
Disable Device 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13 for anything found on the door
Stealth 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

*sigh* Guess it's a good thing that sleeping targets take a -10 on their perception checks, huh? >.>


You are - hands down - having the consistently worst rolls I've seen in a while on the boards. You can haz mine?


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

OK, Negative Nancy. You are missing the fantastic trend of improvement... from 3 to 4 to 5! Figure by three combats down the road (assuming Dara lives) she'll have a better than even chance of hitting something!


Dara Hellhammer wrote:

Perception 1d20 + 9 traps on the door

Disable Device 1d20 + 9 for anything found on the door
Stealth 1d20 + 7

*sigh* Guess it's a good thing that sleeping targets take a -10 on their perception checks, huh? >.>

It definitely is. :)

Snoring person's Perception check: 1d20 + 1 - 10 ⇒ (14) + 1 - 10 = 5
Owl Perception check: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17

Dara carefully opens the door and steps through. She enters a massive bed chamber that fills almost the entire floor of the observatory. A fine bed with plump linen sheets squats upon a dais along the southeast cradle of the tower's arc. A nightstand next to the bed holds a wax-choked candlestick and a black book bound with leather. Seated on the perch is an owl, its eyes wide open and staring at Dara.

At the midpoint of the eastern wall a strange form stands, as tall as a halfling and clothed in a fine black suit and top hat. Clean cloth bandages wrap every inch of the sentry's skin. A pair of spectacles rests upon a long skinny nose. The diminutive dandy holds a silver platter as if presenting a meal, and upon the tray rests the freshly preserved severed head of a middle-aged human woman. A coin sits upon her outstretched, purple tongue.

A messy desk rests against the opposite wall, piled high with loose papers. An apparatus holding four long tubes filled with coloured liquid peeks out from the clutter. There is a small room to the southwest.

Wide stairs lead above and below. A massive stone statue of a thin human man with outstretched angelic wings and a beatific look upon his idealized face looms large in the northwestern arc of the tower wall. The angel holds a sword in one hand and cradles a harp with the other. The presentation conjures thoughts of mausoleum peaks or the graves of important men. Tall letters etched upon the statue's base spell out a single word: "Filge".

The owl screeches as Dara looks in, and the man in the awakes with a start.

You may all have one action (essentially a surprise round) before the man can react.

Map Updated


"Easy there fellah. My friends want to have a talk wit ya. Don't make this difficult."

Dara runs into the room tumbling past the weird thing on the east wall in case it's some sort of undead thing.

Acrobatics 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

After moving past it, she tries to end up in the square adjacent to both the owl and the guy in bed (N26) so that she'll be in a position to unleash an AoO on the man if need be (i.e. she'll ignore AoOs provoked by the owl to save them for the man).

AoO 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
dmg 1d8 + 2 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + 2 + (3) = 7 sneak attack


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Venedictus begins (softly) singing a beautiful chant to Shelyn, beseeching her favour on all who seek to destroy such ugliness as the creator of that vile sentry.

+1 to attack, damage, and saves vs fear to all, including Dara's attack if Vene wins initiative (cause we all know how often that happens)


All of this is depending on light conditions…

If there is enough light to see:
Bear, realizing the necessity for haste, rushes as far into the room as he can (to the corner of the man's bed - N24 should work), Kalath coming easily into his hands.

"This place is as creepy as our last little adventure…" you hear him mutter as he takes a defensive stance.

If not...:
Bear, realizing he's gonna be no good in the dark if things get violent, takes a quick step into the room while touching the blade of Kalath and speaking, "Rap thaVa." The blade explodes in brilliant light, pushing the deep shadows of the room into retreat.

5'Step to I-24 if possible, I-25 if not, and casts Light on his blade.

In case it becomes necessary… Initiative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22.


Fredrik will unleash a blinding ray on the owl.

Attack Blinding Ray ranged touch 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18 The ray causes creatures to be blinded for 1 round. Creatures with more Hit Dice than your wizard level are dazzled for 1 round instead.


Dara rushes up. The owl and the man both stare at her, the man with an expression of shock on his face.

It is too dark to see, so Bear steps in (to I25 as you can't 5-ft step around a corner) and casts light on his sword, bathing the room in a soft light and allowing Fredrik to see when he steps where Bear once was and fires the blinding ray. It shoots right into the owl's eyes. The owl is dazzled.

Bear Initiative: 22
Dara Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Fredrik Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Udaya Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Venedictus Initiative: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (17) + 0 = 17
Filge Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Owl Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19

Order: Fredrik, Bear, Dara, Owl, Venedictus, Filge, Udaya.

Udaya can still make one action before the 1st round starts.

Map Updated


Delay until after Dara actions.


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

UU moves to M25 drawing her sword to reinforce the threats made by Dara.


Bear takes a look around the mage's room as he moves to find a defensive spot. (N-24 at the corner of the bed is preferable). he stops and prepares one of his defensive tricks in case the man or bird try anything funny. readies an action to case Shield if any spells or aggressive actions are taken. If this happens, go ahead and roll spell failure for me (10%).


ROUND 1

Fredrik holds back while Bear moves up by the bed.

Next Up: Dara, Fredrik, Owl, Venedictus, Filge, Udaya.

Map Updated


"No fast moves! You gonna cooperate fellah, or do I need ta start breakin' things starting with you?"

Dara readies an action to rage and attack the guy in bed if he refuses to cooperate or fails to call off his 'pets' and they attack. Depending on what he does, that could potentially mean an AoO (rolled above, but now with a +1 from the bless spell) in addition to her readied attack.

Readied attack 1d20 + 5 + 2 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (12) + 5 + 2 + 1 - 1 = 19 rage, bless, power attack
dmg 1d8 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 3 + 3 + 1 = 14 2-handed, rage, power attack, bless
sneak attack? 1d6 ⇒ 3


Fredrik will move out of the closet Move to I20 so he can block off the retreat of the owl, or its master. he will guide Pup along with him. Take a standard action if needed, otherwise cast Mage Armor if Pup does not need to be guided.


Pup follows Fredrik without any need for Fredrik to guide him, so he's able to cast his spell.

"All right, I surrender!" Filge cries. "Merrowahn, back! Who are you people? What are you doing here?" He pulls his bedsheets up closer to his face, almost like he's trying to use them as a feeble shield. The owl ruffles its feathers a little, but settles back.

We can leave rounds now. :)


Dara will remain on guard but allow others who are better at it to do the talking.


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Venedictus audibly sighs in relief, smiling down at the man as he stops his singing, he finishes his song with a quick prayer for guidance from Shelyn, and steps up to the edge of the bed, casually resting the blade of his glaive on top of the bedcovers (and Filge).
"Oh, a very wise decision there, friend. My companions here are frightfully good at killing people, and I fear we would have made a mess of you. Who we are isn't really important. What is important is, are you the same necromancer who took delivery of several skeletons from Kullen and his gang? If so, we are here to reclaim them, and once we have them and some assurances from you that you will desecrate no more graves, I see no pressing reason to slit your throat."

Diplomacy check (with just a hint of intimidation thrown in): 1d20 + 10 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 10 + 1 = 17


Let's leave this to Venny/Freddy. All I want to know is if this is our guy? does he have the stolen bones and will he give them up without a fuss? UU, Detect Evil much?

Venny beat me to it.:) Tho Bear will take this time to bathe the room in some Detect Magic.


Filge looks at Venedictus in surprise. "Are you telling me you came here because of the skeletons? Curse that pink-eyed fiend! I needed helpers, see, so I got Smenk's half-orc to fetch the raw materials. I have no idea where he got them, and I certainly didn't know they were important to anyone. If ye want them back, will ye be providing me with replacements?"

As Filge talks, Bear sweeps the room for magic, find several things. The book on the nightstand next to the bed is magical. There is magic coming from the papers on the desk. The liquid in the glass tubes is magical (4 tubes). Finally, magic emanates from the head on the platter. Altogether there are seven magical emanations.

Knowledge (arcana) book: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20 -- faint universal
Knowledge (arcana) tube 1: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20 -- faint necromancy
Knowledge (arcana) tube 2: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21 -- faint necromancy
Knowledge (arcana) tube 3: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18 -- faint necromancy
Knowledge (arcana) tube 4: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27 -- faint necromancy
Knowledge (arcana) papers: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27 -- moderate necromancy
Knowledge (arcana) head: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25 -- faint illusion


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Venedictus gives the necromancer a level stare.

"No, we won't. Desecrating human remains through animation is disgusting and dispicable, and we will not be helping you. In fact, you're about to swear on your life that you will never use undead animation again, or we will be ending your life."


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Per Bear's suggestion...

UU sweeps Filge and the room for EEEEvillll.... Faint or Moderate - it's all good. :)


Seeing the diplomacy route taking a turn for the worse, Freddie grips his staff harder, and glances down the stairs. While he feels confident the others could handle Filge, he is worried about possible reinforcements.

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 11

Umm, Udaya, actually its all EVIL, he he


Udaya detects no evil in the room, not even Filge (he's just not powerful enough).

"S-swear on me life?" Filge stammers. "Not to...? But...but that's me livelihood, mate. That's what I do! Now, I can see you lot mean business, so I won't ask for replacements on the skeletons. Ye can take them. My gifts to you. They're down by the front entrance. I suspect ye probably destroyed them on the way in, anyway."


"So uh... what exactly do you need undead helpers for that living workers can't do? Somethin' dangerous, or just savin' on wages?"

1,601 to 1,650 of 2,094 << first < prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Navior's Age of Worms All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.