Navior's Age of Worms (Inactive)

Game Master Navior


1,501 to 1,550 of 2,094 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>

HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Again this is out of earshot of Kullen...

Fredrik "Flash" Williams wrote:
”If that is the case, we need to be careful so we don’t obliterate the bones!”

UU frowns, "Vene, what do you think? If you blast the undead to powder, can we bury those remains and set the souls to rest? I'd like to fulfill our pledge to Alastor but not if it gets us all killed in the process."

Navior, what I'm getting at here is - will Vene have to pull his punches in a battle with undead for us to re-bury Alastor's family successfully?


Udaya Udas wrote:
Navior, what I'm getting at here is - will Vene have to pull his punches in a battle with undead for us to re-bury Alastor's family successfully?

There won't be any problem. Venedictus's channelled energy will break the skeletons up, causing many of the bones to splinter and break into multiple pieces, but you'll still be able to gather the pieces and bury them afterwards.

"The observatory has three floors," Kullen says. "We didn't spend a lot of time in there when we helped him move in. We just helped him get his equipment inside. He was setting up a lab or somethin' on the top floor, and his bedroom and study on the second. The main floor has two sections to it. That's about all I really know. When we dropped off the bodies, we just dropped 'em off at the front door. Oh yeah, you have to climb a bunch o' stairs to get to the front door, and there's another door under the front door that leads to a storage closet or somethin'. As for Filge and Smenk, well, they were friends years ago or somethin'. I don't know the details. Why Filge is here now, I don't know. I think maybe Smenk asked him to come, but I don't know why. It's not my job to ask questions. As to what Smenk's up to, he's runnin' a mine and trying to stay in business against the competition, just what all the miner owners are doin'. Anything more specific than that, I ain't got a clue. I just work the mines for him, and push around a few individuals from time to time when he asks me to. That's all."


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

UU nods, "OK, Kullen. So, Smenk. What's his house like? Family? Guards? Guard dogs?"


Udaya Udas wrote:
UU nods, "OK, Kullen. So, Smenk. What's his house like? Family? Guards? Guard dogs?"

Kullen smirks. "Big, fancy, expensive. He's got an open-door policy, don't you know? Keeps his front door wide open at all times so anyone can visit. He made a promise, see, that he would always be available to his miners." Kullen snickers a bit, then continues, "Of course, anyone who enters gets torn to bits by the three great apes that patrol the entrance."

This is actually common knowledge, which you can find under the description of Baslwief.

Kullen snickers a bit more. "Look, you lot may be tough enough to beat that beast that killed Skutch, but that beast is nothin' compared to what Smenk can do to ya. He's a powerful man, and you'd be wise to stay out of his business. Go get your bodies back from Filge if you want. That's got nothin' to do with Smenk. But then just get out of it. Dig too deep into Smenk's affairs and that'll be it for the lot o' ya. Take that as a friendly warnin'. Ignore it at your own peril. Makes no difference to me."


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

I don't know why but I thought the '3 apes' guy was another mine owner. Oh well.

"Thanks for the advice. You should think about it, too. If Smenk gets wind of us asking around, we may have to tell him where all the information came from... Maybe he'll want you and your friends to dance with those apes, eh? You boys might want to leave town before that happens."

UU looks around at the rest of the group, seeing if anyone has any more questions. Assuming not...

"Here's the deal, Kullen. We need to have a little chat without you listening. So you've got two choices - easy or hard. Easy way is - our spell-slinger hits you with a spell. If you don't resist, you go to sleep for awhile. Hard way is the big man behind you hits you with his fists, maybe a few times. He's gets a bit 'into' his work at times. Eventually you will pass out. Choose."


Bear grins. Cracks knuckles.


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Venedictus is still visibly struggling with the image of the enlarged copper pipe...

He swallows and pipes up, "Now, I'm sure Kullen here will definitely prefer the easy option. We shouldn't be too hard on him, we are all the products of our upbringings, and I'm sure our friend here had a difficult childhood."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19


"Kullen here is a big boy... he can speak for himself." he looks back at the half-orc, "Plus, it might be more convincing to his friends if he looks like he was actually worked over instead of simply giving out the information freely. But hey, the choice is yours, friend. Easy or hard?"


"Look," Kullen says, "why don't I just a walk? I won't listen in, I swear." Sensing what your answer will be, he then says, "Fine, use your spell on me."


"I thought you were some kind of tough guy?" He shrugs his massive shoulders and looks over to Freddy, "Hit him, champ."

Once the spell is cast, Bear double-checks to make sure the half-orc is actually out. Can I take 20 on this somehow?


Everyone pulls back far enough from Kullen so as not to be caught in the area of Fredrik's spell. Fredrik then casts the sleep and Kullen slumps over fast asleep. Bear makes a quick check.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (8) + 0 = 8

He doesn't seem to be bluffing. You could take 20, but that would take 2 minutes, which is the duration of the spell.


Fredrik looks over at Kullen, and satisfied the spell has taken effect, nods to the others, "Well, all he says has the ring of truth, but he could always be hiding something, I suppose."

He turns to Udaya, and says, "If we are going up against Filge, it is goona be tough getting in there, he probably has the place magically warded. Maybe getting more info from Smerg would be good idea?"


Any responses before Kullen wakes up?


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

"The problem with going after Smerg is that he has men at his disposal to send against us. It's why this town is so lawless in the first place. Attacking a single necromancer holed up in his keep is easier than trying to bring down a mob."


Venedictus wrote:
"The problem with going after Smerg is that he has men at his disposal to send against us. It's why this town is so lawless in the first place. Attacking a single necromancer holed up in his keep is easier than trying to bring down a mob."

I think you and Fredrik mean Smenk, don't you?


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1
Navior wrote:
Venedictus wrote:
"The problem with going after Smerg is that he has men at his disposal to send against us. It's why this town is so lawless in the first place. Attacking a single necromancer holed up in his keep is easier than trying to bring down a mob."
I think you and Fredrik mean Smenk, don't you?

Right. Oops. That guy. The low-life. The scum. A rose by any other name still smells like a$$.


"Yeah, actually I think the guys name is Smenk, must be kinda tired. As for how easy it is to break into Filge's stronghold, it won't be a cakewalk. We know he has bodies which I'll bet you a night with Lydia are being used to animate undead creature. So, unless you happen to be blessed with the deific power to blast them into nothingness, yer screwed. Rememberthe trouble we had in the Cairn earlier?"


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Nah, they mean Smerg... think he's a DM in another game. :)

UU listens to the debate. "I think we need to go after the necromancer. First, even if Smenk is a rival of the other miner owners... if we go after one mine owner that is going to make the others nervous. We might be able to take one of them... but all of them? I don't know. Second, if Smenk brought the necromancer in for some purpose then if we beat the necromancer, we erode Smenk's power and find out what he is up to. Could the necromancer have magical defenses? Sure. So could Smenk if he hired this guy. Are undead dangerous? Yep. But..." She hitches a thumb at Vene and herself, "Cleric and Paladin. We do alright against undead."


Fredrik gives her a wan smile, "Yeah, not surprised to hear ya say that. Just have some respect for the guy who feels kinda useless against undead...they are'n impressed by flashy shows, he he." He gives a tired yawn. "So, when do we head up there?"


Bear shrugs, "Might want to invest in some spells that do more than flash, then, huh? I mean sleep spells are great for when you want to subdue back-alley brutes, but we run up against far more... robust opponents. And i'm ready to go when yall are. The less time they have to know we're coming, the better." he thinks for a second, "Though it might help to get soem shut-eye right quick."


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

"Tough call. It's late and sleep would be good. But we have no idea if Kullen here is gonna squeal to his friends or his boss. I'd rather hit that necromancer before he has warning or help. Hopefully, he's asleep right now so he won't see us coming. But I'll go with what you guys feel is a better choice."


"Oh, i figured we'd camp out here tonight. Keep him tied up. Head out first thing in the morning."


"I'm with Bear on this one, gives me a chance to rememorize spells."


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Venedictus will select different spells, also. He prays for a second bless instead of shield of faith, and light instead of purify food and drink.

Venedictus nods. "I am able to send out waves of Shelyn's blessing, which, against undead, should grind them to powder. I have also gained some further blessings recently which should help in our battles with evil."


Dara shrugs, "Feels kinda weird sleeping in this guy's place but I guess it'll do."


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

UU has no objection but when Kullen wakes up, they will grill him about his schedule for the next day... do his buddies expect to see him at breakfast? Will they stop by? When does his shift start, etc...


Kullen wakes up as soon as the spell duration comes to an end. He has just started snoring and he awakes with a cough and snort. He looks angry to see that you're all still there, but he tries (not very successfully) to hide it.

"I need to be at the mine by 9 in the morning," he says in response to Udaya's grilling. "I sometimes meet Rastophan and the others in the morning before going to the mine, but not always. Depends how much we've had to drink the night before. So I suppose if I don't show up, they won't think anything of it. Then again, they might. After all, I didn't have all that much to drink" -- a blatant lie -- "and they'd know that, so they might think it a bit weird if I don't show up. Yeah, you'd be best to let me go before you start causing suspicions." With such an obvious lie compounded with his drunken state, I'm not allowing him a Bluff check here. Everyone can tell he's clutching at straws. :)


Fredrik smirks at him, "You need to work on your lies at least a little bit, they need to be at least somewhat believeable. Look, I know you want to kill us, but consider this, do you really want us mad at you, because if we think you mean us bodily harm, then we may need to take...steps to prevent that from happening. So, perhaps, you should just pretend you had an extended bender, and decided to sleep it off."


Kullen frowns. "Yeah, sure, we can do it that way too if you like."


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

So it is about 3AM now? Shall we try to blitz the necromancer at 7am-ish? Too early?


Maybe UU, Vene, and Freddie got plenty of sleep out in the street, but Dara and Bear were hard at work putting down restless spirits. :P


I agree with Dara. It'd be nice to hit the necromancer's place well-rested and at 100% - which means 6 hours of sleep from whenever our heads hit the pillows. IF that means losing some time, i'm okay with that. What do yall think?


Agreed, 6 hours does a mage good, he he


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1
Fredrik "Flash" Williams wrote:
Agreed, 6 hours does a mage good, he he

"Chances are the necromancer won't have any more bodies animated a few hours from now than he already does. Besides, he's a necromancer. Maybe high noon is the best time to engage him. He's probably up all night doing necromancy things. I suppose if we were really keen on being careful, we could stake out the observatory for a day or two...see if we can pin down a pattern of his, or catch him outside where he's more vulnerable. Kuras here will keep his mouth shut. After all, he doesn't want Smenk to know that he squealed like a pig without us even needing to hit him once."


Venedictus wrote:
"Kuras here will keep his mouth shut. After all, he doesn't want Smenk to know that he squealed like a pig without us even needing to hit him once."

Kuras growls lightly in response, but doesn't do anything else.

You settle down in Kuras's place. It's not the most comfortable place. Anyone who tries to use the "bed" (just a mattress) finds it infested with fleas and bedbugs. The only other option is just sleeping on the dirty floor. But you manage to get your six hours of sleep (albeit uncomfortable sleep). Kuras snores loudly the whole time wherever you leave him.

The next morning (the 11th of Pharast), the sun is shining brightly. It's still a cool day out, but warmer than recent days.


Bear gathers up the crew and speaks quietly, "Anyone need anything before we go storm the castle? I think I'm set."

Spell selection updated.. minor changes.


"How about a spot o' tea an' some biscuits? Ain't that how all the folks what stay in fancy hotels do?" Dara jokes.


"Yeah Dara, this is the Chez Kuras for sure, he he."

Updated spells memorized, all good to go.


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Let's go spank the necromancer!


I'd say Bear will let udaya do that, but he'd jus get jealous.

also... LET'S DO THIS!.


Udaya Udas wrote:
Let's go spank the necromancer!

umm yeah, you go right ahead, and I will not watch, he he


The old observatory is just north of town, near the ancient menhir that the local druids and rangers of the Bronzewood Lodge sometimes use for ceremonies. The observatory sits on a bluff overlooking an abandoned mine. A wide slit bisects its domed tower, where surely a great telescope once peered into eternity. Now the place bears a dark character, like a sagging tenement broken under the weight of decades of inhabitants. A slim stairway cut into the steep hillside leads to the structure's only door, on the side of the tower's attached one-storey outbuilding. Flickering light filters through the observatory's only windows, along the tower's second and third floors.

New Map "Observatory" Added
The map shows a side view of the observatory as well, so you can get an idea of what it looks like. At the moment, the characters are just positioned to the side and not really at any specific location. I'll let you decide how you want to approach before putting them anywhere specific.


What time of day is it? And I don't see any other entrances other than the stairs on the map from our current position? Is that the only approach from our current location?

If possible, Bear would be trying to stay out of sight as they approach the buidling. Taking 10 to stealth for a 17.


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:

What time of day is it? And I don't see any other entrances other than the stairs on the map from our current position? Is that the only approach from our current location?

If possible, Bear would be trying to stay out of sight as they approach the buidling. Taking 10 to stealth for a 17.

It's a little after 10 in the morning when you get there. The only entrance to the observatory (from any location) is the door at the top of the stairs. There are windows on the second and third floor of the observatory, but getting in through them would require climbing to them (and you'd need to climb the bluff too). Trying to stay out of sight as you approach is certainly an option. The character positions on the map don't currently represent your actual positions (as you haven't stated those yet), but I can't get a PC view in MapTool unless there are PCs on the screen, so I had to put the characters somewhere. Once I know how you're approaching, I'll place them where they ought to be. :)


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Thoughts on how we should tackle this, guys? Bunching up by a door in front of a necromancer doesn't sound tasty, if he knows we are here. But if he doesn't... then a bunch of us less stealthy types doing a full recon of the area is likely to draw his attention and the 'bust in' tactic may be better.


Fredrik whispers, ”How are we going to get there without being seen? Maybe we should watch for a little while, just to make sure there are no surprises waiting for us.”

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 17
Stealth 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Venedictus nods. "I'm all for that. A day or two won't hurt us. The boy won't be letting anybody else through the door while we're watching. If we're lucky, this guy'll step out to pick up some bread in town and we can jump him. Even if not, we can get a sense of his habits and patterns, and wait for him to go to bed before making our move. Let's find ourselves a hidden vantage point."


"How 'bout this.... Dara and I will take a sweep around the place to see if there's an approach where we're likely to get up there unnoticed. The rest of you stick around here (in the cover of the trees?) and keep an eye on the windows. Try to get a feel for if we're likely to be watched if we have to make a direct approach. We'll meet you back here as soon as we can.... or we'll shout if there's serious trouble."

For simplicity, care if I continue taking 10 on checks as we move around the outside of the place, using any cover possible? That would give me (and Dara if she does the same) a 17 to stealth.


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
For simplicity, care if I continue taking 10 on checks as we move around the outside of the place, using any cover possible? That would give me (and Dara if she does the same) a 17 to stealth.

Taking 10 is fine. There aren't any trees to use for hiding, but there are occasional rocks and shrubs.

The bluff would be fairly easy to climb (if a little tiring). It has steep parts, but there are enough handholds to ease the ascent. It is at its least steep on the eastern side (probably why the observatory was built so that the stairs and entrance are on the east side). Once up the bluff, climbing the side of the observatory would be much more difficult, but certainly not impossible for a skilled climber.

Bear Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Dara Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9 (+2 stone)

There are no other apparent entrances.

I've updated the map to show the full outline of the observatory.

Oh, and before I forget again, another 240 XP each!


I have no problems doing a stake-out or taking our time on climb/stealth/perception checks.

I've got the best Climb though, so if any of that is required, Dara will take point and let down a rope for anyone else (if needed).

1,501 to 1,550 of 2,094 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Navior's Age of Worms All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.