Navior's Age of Worms (Inactive)

Game Master Navior


1 to 50 of 2,094 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

The town of Baslwief has many nicknames, very few of them complimentary. South of “the Vein”, the destitute huddle along muddy streets and fight for space in Jalek’s Flophouse. North of the Vein, the mine managers hoard their wealth and squabble amongst themselves, with little care for the less fortunate people they employ. As a rule, people distrust one another, and fights are common. Sheriff Cubbin is charged with keeping the peace, but he and his men are little more than thugs themselves. They are just as likely to be the ones causing the trouble as stopping it.

It is in this hellhole that all of you, through your own individual ways, have found yourselves. And it’s a place you’d all love to get out of. But Baslwief has a way of grabbing hold of people and keeping them there despite their best efforts. However, salvation may be at hand.

A little over a week ago, a trio of richly dressed adventurers from Kaer Maga (often called the “Free City” by people in Baslwief because it is not under the yoke of Korvosa) arrived in town. These three—Auric, Khellek, and Tirra—have made their presence very noticeable, hanging out in establishments like Lazare’s and the Emporium, and bragging about their exploits against goblins and kobolds on the road from Kaer Maga. They have also openly bragged about their intent to explore the Stirgenest Cairn, one of the many tombs to the north of town. They believe there are unfound riches there waiting for worthy people to come and take them—and the believe they are the ones to do that taking. The only reason the people of Baslwief haven’t laughed them out of town is because they have gold to spend. Everyone in Baslwief has heard of the Stirgenest Cairn, and everyone knows it’s been empty for at least a century. Even the stirges it’s named after are long gone. Children regularly play in the Stirgenest Cairn. There’s nothing there.

However, it’s possible this trio from Kaer Maga may be on to something. They’ve just chosen the wrong tomb. Recently, during his time at the Emporium, Fredrik noticed a discrepancy between several maps of the local cairns. Maps made in the last 60 years have omitted a particular tomb known as the “Whispering Cairn”, but the tomb is prominent on older maps. This could have just been a simple error of omission. It got forgotten on one map and that map happened to be the one copied from then on. But then Fredrik overheard some of the younger employees at the Emporium actually talking about the Whispering Cairn. It took a bit of convincing to get them to talk to him about it, but it seems that many people in Baslwief know of the Whispering Cairn. It is named that way because of the strange, whisper-like sounds that can be heard coming from its entrance. The youth of Baslwief used to dare one another to spend a night just inside the entrance. It was almost a rite of passage for them. But that changed 6 years ago when one young girl went in and never came back out. No one knows for sure why the Whispering Cairn was omitted from maps 60 years ago, but most believe it has something to do with unknown evils still inside it. Perhaps it still has secrets and treasure to unveil.

It could be dangerous to go in there, but the trio from Kaer Maga, despite their pomposity, have shown that a dangerous lifestyle can potentially lead to reward. And even if there’s nothing in the Whispering Cairn, at least it would get you out of Baslwief for a short while. But Fredrik could hardly go into the Whispering Cairn alone.

And so Fredrik has encountered the rest of you along the Vein, just east of the Central Square. It’s a cool early spring day (the 7th of Pharast). The morning frost is just starting to evaporate. This is the quietest time in Baslwief, as the miners head off to the mines and the shopkeepers prepare for their return in the evening.


I won't be able to post much more today, as I have a busy day coming up (guest coming over in the afternoon and then a tabletop game in the evening). But this is your chance to have fun with a bit of roleplay amongst yourselves. Tomorrow, we'll start into the action.

I will be uploading a map of Baslwief to the campaign site as well, but probably won't get that up till tomorrow.


Navior wrote:
Sheriff Cubbin is charged with keeping the peace, but he and his men are little more than thugs themselves. They are just as likely to be the ones causing the trouble as stopping it.

Dara whistles innocently as she looks skyward.

In the immortal words of a poet noteworthy among 'her people', Dara's brash voice strikes the morning calm like hammer to anvil as she exclaims, "B1tch ass, b1tchin' ass!"

Sense Motive DC 5:
You take it that news of this cairn meets with her enthusiasm... you hope.


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

Venedictus arches an eyebrow at the dwarvf's reaction. "Indeed. Curious reaction to this possibility. Normally, I put no truck with treasure hunting, but, friend Fredrik, anything to get us out of Baslwief."

"Besides," he adds a second later, "a large tomb is likely to have some very nice wall carvings present. It would by typical of Baslwief that the only thing nice about it is an ancient grave."


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

dotting and bringing my last post over for continuity...

Fredrik "Flash" Williams wrote:
Fredrik assumes a shocked look on his face, and replies, "I am shocked, shocked and flattered that you would consider me just your average towngoer just looking for some female companionship. Perhaps another time..." He gives the not unattractive dwarf a leer.

Udaya rolls her eyes as if to say, You have just proven you are yet another townie looking for action.

Dara wrote:
"For the love of—" Dara rolls her eyes and balls her left hand into a fist, "Enough speeches, spit it out!"

Udaya glances at Dara with approval and then adds, "Fred, is it? Fred, you are testing our patience."

Fredrik "Flash" Williams wrote:
Noticing the ladies steeling their gazes at him and moving on, he hurriedly continues, "No! Before you go off to yet another day of drudgery, and toil with no hope of escaping it, please throw aside the bonds of caution, and take that first step to freedom, wealth and power! surely that sounds better than being propositioned by every two bit hustler in this hellhole, every day for the rest of your life!". He waits patiently for a response.

"Buddy, you have YET to distinguish yourself from every other two-bit hustler in this place. And giving my friend here 'the eye', as you did, doesn't strengthen your argument..."

She nods to Bear politely and turns to Dara, "You wanna go see if we can drum up some real business now? I don't think Fred here has enough coins to even buy us drinks while we listen to his pitch."

Upon hearing Fredrick's hasty pitch... "Well, maybe you aren't another two-bit hustler."


At the mention of drinking, a serious look crosses Dara's face. "Hmm... 9 in the morning..." she looks up at Udaya, "That's only 3 hours before noon, right?"

She cracks her knuckles with her thumbs before letting her fingers drum on the head of her waraxe. "I suppose I could use a cup of ale... set me up for the day. Alright Fred, you buy we'll listen, an' if yer lucky, that's all we'll do."

With that Dara gives Fredrik a slap on the ass that nearly lifts him off his feet as she sets a brisk pace towards the tavern.


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

"Three hours too late to start on, if you ask me," Venedictus mutters quietly, but not quietly enough.


So are we waiting to hear Flash's pitch? Or just going off the one Navior provided?

Also... D.O.T.


Dotting...

Fredrik smiles, not at all offended, and says delightedly, "I would love to buy you all a drink!"

Turning to Udaya, "Ahh, my fair lady, you cannot fool me, I know you cannot resist the lure of my...gold, he he.", giving her a wink.

He leads the group back to the tavern of their choice, and once they get situated, buys them all a round of drinks. Let me know how much to deduct please from my stash.

He then recounts the info revealed in the initial DM post, about the Whispering Cairn.


Male Sky Elf Game Master lv 20

Tch— people just like Dot because she's the cute one...


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8
Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:

So are we waiting to hear Flash's pitch? Or just going off the one Navior provided?

Also... D.O.T.

I was thinking it would easier to NOT have Fred re-state the whole thing... but if he wants to, I have no objection. The only question I have is where the conversation is taking place. I'd hate to waste that perfect ass-slap and "let's go drink and discuss in the tavern" part. :)


Laithoron wrote:
Tch— people just like Dot because she's the cute one...

You, sir, earned an epic cookie for that...

Though i was a whacko fan, myself.


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:

So are we waiting to hear Flash's pitch? Or just going off the one Navior provided?

Also... D.O.T.

I think we can go with what Navior gave.

DAHT (said lovingly and caressingly)


in that case…

"Desna knows it'd beat the hells out'a swingin' a pick for 12 hours straight for chump-change." he looks around for a second, "If yall are game, I'm in."


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

"I for one need to sit down if we're going to be having ourselves a long conversation about exploration, danger, and riches. I think the Spinning Giant's usually pretty empty around this time. Soldiers are already out on patrols by now. We don't want other folks listening in on talk like this."


"Long as I get my cut, anyway."

Oh, sorry for getting ahead of things... I'm just impatient like that... assume my comments happened at the tavern.


"OK the Spinning Giant it is ."


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

"I'm talented. I can bend an ear while I bend an elbow." She mimes the act of drinking.


"Hey legs, hurry it up or I won't leave any for ya!"


Dara Hellhammer wrote:
"Hey legs, hurry it up or I won't leave any for ya!"

"Surely it doesn't take the ale all that long to make that short trip, right?"

Now he'll go ful defensive. :D


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Udaya laughs, "Sure thing, Shorty! Thought you might need a headstart... on the walkin' not the drinkin'."


Big Man wrote:
"Surely it doesn't take the ale all that long to make that short trip, right?"

"Hey, it's not about distance, it's about repetitions."

UU wrote:
"Sure thing, Shorty! Thought you might need a headstart... on the walkin' not the drinkin'."

"HA! Naw, guess not — I'll take both jus' the same, though!"


Dara Hellhammer wrote:
b]"Hey, it's not about distance, it's about repetitions."[/b]

A lecherous smile splits Bear's face, "Some of us are capable of both..."

Ok, i couldn't resist.


Fredrik hopes he can get an advance on his allowance, as these ladies, and gents, looked capable of drinking a nobleman to the poorhouse, he he


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8
Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
A lecherous smile splits Bear's face, "Some of us are capable of both..."

Udaya barks a short laugh, "Yeah, and we've heard that before as well.... just before the snoring starts."


Bear plunges an invisible dagger dramatically into his own heart, exaggeratedly staggering a few steps before grinning back.

"Ya cut me deep!"


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1
Fredrik "Flash" Williams wrote:
Fredrik hopes he can get an advance on his allowance, as these ladies, and gents, looked capable of drinking a nobleman to the poorhouse, he he

Perhaps I can convince Navior to let Venedictus in on some sort of deal with a few tavern owners for a few free drinks in exchange for being on hand to patch up their staff and patrons after some of the ubiquitous bar brawls break out. Hint, hint, nudge, wink to Navior...


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8
Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:

Bear plunges an invisible dagger dramatically into his own heart, exaggeratedly staggering a few steps before grinning back.

"Ya cut me deep!"

Udaya smiles. "You're alright, Bear." She gives him a friendly clap STR 16 on the shoulder. "Did I hear right? You're a horse-trader? I'd love to see your stock."

Sense Motive:10:
It is clear from the light in her eyes that Udaya loves horses... and Keleshite people are known for their equestrian skills and interests.

Dara, I'm liking the nicknames - particularly 'U' since her name is difficult to pronounce and 'Legs'. Lemme know if Dara can hang with 'Shorty'. Udaya wouldn't want to offend Dara so she'd pick an inoffensive nickname.


Sense Motive 1d20 ⇒ 4.

You can see the surprise in his eyes as he registers your strength. (and you're surprised by the rock of a shoulder your hand clapped. STR 18.) "I am a horse-trader. Though, sadly, probably the worst one in the Lost Coast." He shakes his head slowly, "And I wish I was joking. Me and my brothers have all but lost my dad's horse stock for him... at least he's not alive to be disappointed."

His eyes swing to encompass the town outside the tavern, "But hey, if you're interested, I'll do my best to help you find the best horse-flesh in this rat-hole of a town.. if there's any worth having."


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Udaya looks genuinely sympathetic at his loss of stock. "Sorry to hear that, Bear. As for the horse-flesh here... I'd be happy for the help but I'd need some money first. Hopefully, this little venture will solve that issue."


"Agreed. And I was promised a drink." A blank stare shifts over to Flash.


Flash gives an inward groan, Boy, this Whispering Cairn had better have a king's ransom in there, because I am going to need it all to pay for their drinks.

"Take care, my friend, we are almost there!"


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8
Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
"Agreed. And I was promised a drink." A blank stare shifts over to Flash.

Udaya regards the massive horse-trader. "What? A small lad like you? I figured you for a teetotaler!"


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

"I used to do that. I was taught to believe that alcohol only created ugliness in people. Then I came to learn that it does a pretty good job hiding ugliness, too."


Bear regards the priest with a look of surprised respect, "That may be the most insightful thing I've ever heard from a man of the cloth."


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

He shrugs, his eyes sad and distant. "Well, by that, I just mean that once one's had enough alcohol, he stops seeing the ugliness around him that he's failed to change directly."

"But enough of this prattle; let's get some ales and discuss how we might turn our fortunes around."

Venedictus finds his favourite stool, smiling slightly as its familiar contours nicely match the indent in his rather large posterior.


Fredrik waves over the barmaid, noting her pleasant curves of her body, certainly one of the nicer aspects of this tavern. He says to her "Lydia, a round of ales for my newfound friends here!". He throws in an extra tip, and a wink, which earns him a brief glare from her. "Also, could I reserve your private room, and we can have our privacy? Thanks so much, dear." He slips her an extra gold piece for her trouble.

Thinking to himself, I hope this expedition is worth it, I am nearly exhausted of my funds, and Mother is getting tired of my ways, I fear.


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Udaya raises an eyebrow when Fredrick actually pays for the drinks and the private room. Well, he must be serious... or crazy. Either way, the ale will be good.


Oof! Laid down for a 3-hour nap and now it's past midnight. >.<

BTW, Shorty, or lil' D are fine if she already likes you. Ironshanks, Hellhammer, or Dara are probably safer for anyone else in the meantime. The way to tell is whether she jokes back, or just looks at you like an attitude adjustment is forthcoming. ;)


Oof! Laid down for a 3-hour nap and now it's past midnight. >.<

BTW, Shorty, or lil' D are fine if she already likes you. Ironshanks, Hellhammer, or Dara are probably safer for anyone else in the meantime. The way to tell is whether she jokes back, or just looks at you like an attitude adjustment is forthcoming. ;)

"Back room huh?" She hops down off the stool she was sitting atop. "I ain't picky."


Venedictus wrote:
Perhaps I can convince Navior to let Venedictus in on some sort of deal with a few tavern owners for a few free drinks in exchange for being on hand to patch up their staff and patrons after some of the ubiquitous bar brawls break out. Hint, hint, nudge, wink to Navior...

Unfortunately, the taverns in town are not so charitable. The Feral Dog might agree to offer drinks as payment for healing, but would not pay the drinks in advance of the healing. One drink paid for each act of healing to Feral Dog staff. As for the Spinning Giant, while it is a somewhat more reputable place than the Feral Dog, it is also very disdainful of the poor. It doesn't do charity. If you indicate in any way that you don't have the coin for their wares, they will suggest that you visit one of Baslwief's "other fine establishments". If you then don't follow that suggestion, they will throw you out. Venedictus has learnt this the hard way.

(Insert evil DM laugh here.)

On this occasion, Lydia the barmaid eyes Venedictus very carefully when the group first arrives. It's only when Fredrik starts waving around money that she noticeably lightens up. She smiles at Fred and happily snatches the proffered gold piece. "I'll have it prepared for you immediately," she says. With that, she disappears into another room.

Apart from a tired-looking bouncer near the door, the Spinning Giant is otherwise empty of people at this time. A large, circular stage dominates the centre of the common room. Tables are set up all around it.

Lydia comes back a short while later and asks the group to follow her. She shows them into a windowless room. A single round table with four chairs sits in the room. There is a lamp on the table providing a dim light. She then leaves them, coming back a short time later with the party's drinks.


Seeing there are only 4 chairs, Dara curls her lip and casts a sidelong glance at the barmaid.

Dwarven:
"Dumb wench..."

Walking back outside the room, she grabs one of the taller chairs favored by her kind and makes a point of dragging it noisily across the floor, her eyes practically daring anyone to give her guff.

Once back, she leans her bow up against the wall and sets her waraxe on the table in front of her before taking her seat.


Fredrik watches Dara's antics and covers his mouth to hide his smile. He waits patiently until Dara gets all settled in, and walks over next to her, and says in Dwarven,

Dwarven

Spoiler:
"I believe Lydia was getting the chairs for the four of you. I am OK with standing. Still, that is very generous of you."


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Udaya notes Dara's irritation, "Apparently counting to five is asking too much from her." She take a chair next to Dara.


Flash gives Udaya a smirk, "I don't think she was hired here for her counting skills."


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Okay, so I guess this isn't his regular spot then, but since somebody else is paying, it makes even more sense for him to suggest it since he ordinarily doesn't get to drink here!

Venedictus takes a sip of his ale and sighs contentedly. "No tin taste," he mutters in a low voice. "Excellent."

"So you think there might still be treasure in this forgotten-about Cairn, enough to pay all our of ways out of Baslwief?"


Fredrik "Flash" Williams wrote:
Dwarven

"Pssh!"

Dwarven:
"Don't cover for her skank ass. 'sides," she grins, "makes me twitchy if a guy's pacing when I'm tryin' ta drink."


If you have anything specific you want your characters to discuss at the Spinning Giant, feel free to slip it in retroactively (but briefly). Let me know, too, if there are any items you want to grab or try to purchase with your limited funds before leaving town. However, I’m just going to move things forward a little.

Fredrik is able to show you a map he’s acquired which shows the location of the Whispering Cairn and can tell you the full story of how he acquired it. The cairn is located northeast of Baslwief, probably a little over an hour’s walk away and only a short distance off Company Road. You finish up your drinks and then head out. “Have a good day,” Lydia says as you leave. There’s a slight mocking tone to her voice. The bouncer just grunts.

Leaving the Spinning Giant, you head up the Vein a short distance and then turn north, following Company Road out of town. Along the way, you pass by a couple of Sheriff Cubbin’s men staggering along, clearly hung over. You can see servants working the grounds of the more affluent townspeople’s home. As you pass the intersection with Elmshire Road, you notice the trio from Kaer Maga some distance down Elmshire Road. They are heading out of town, presumably going to the Stirgenest Cairn. They don’t notice your party though. Other than that, Baslwief remains quiet.

There’s a definitely feeling of relief once you’re out of sight of the buildings of Baslwief, and even though the Whispering Cairn isn’t all that far away, you can already start to feel a slight bit of freedom. About an hour outside of town, you pass an abandoned mine overseer’s office. This place is marked on Fredrik’s map and would seem to be a good place to turn off the road. A quick check of the abandoned office shows nothing of interest there, although it might make a good place for storing things, resting up when night falls, or a place to fall back to if you have to retreat from the cairn. The Whispering Cairn should only be a few minutes walk east of here.


"Well," the big man mutters as he eyes the stretch of forest (?) you are about to enter, "time to toss the dice." For the first time you can remember, Bear unlimbers his great curved blade. Without taking his eyes from your destination, he hefts his weapon, lips whispering strange words.

Draconic:
"Now, my old friend Kallath, let's ruin someone's day."

Someone want to establish a marching order?


Fredrik debated whether bringing along sparks was a good idea, but then decided to leave her behind, only grabbing the gear off of the donkey, and carrying it along.

"This is it, everyone, the Whispering Cairn, our ticket to riches, and fame!" [i]I hope.[i/]

1 to 50 of 2,094 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Navior's Age of Worms All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.