Navior's Age of Worms (Inactive)

Game Master Navior


1,701 to 1,750 of 2,094 << first < prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | next > last >>

Nav:
In the frightened explanation, it says "...once they are out of sight (or hearing) of the source of their fear, they can act as they want. If the duration of their fear continues, however, characters can be forced to flee if the source of their fear presents itself again." I don't know if - since the dude's head tumbled down the steps - I should be "acting as I want" or if I should continue fleeing. Let me know.


Bear: Hmmmm... I can't actually find that exact wording. However, the condition at the back of the Core Rulebook does state that the creature "flees from the source of its fear". The source of the fear is definitely gone, so I'd say you're okay to act as you choose. You'll still take the -2 penalty to attack, damage, saves, skill checks, and ability checks, as you're essentially now shaken. That will last for a couple more rounds.

To Dara: Your shaken condition will wear off just before your next turn, so your next turn will not have the penalties. However, any AoO's you might get to make before then will still have the penalties.


Oh, ok, i took that from the PRD. Should have checked my .pdf instead. I wasn't trying to take advantage or anything. I'll post something as Shaken, but if you feel like he should still be running for his life, go ahead and have him do that... just pick a random square away from the obvious threats.

Bear's eyes open in fear - the whites visible fully around his dilated pupils. Dara's brave and vicious attack remove the object of his fear from the room, and he's just able to regain control of his bladder. That might have been embarrassing. he thinks as he advances on the nearest threat, still visibly shaking, trying to take the gross, zombified monster thing down.

5' step to the south (ending just northwest fo the bottom-left Zombie-Trog). Arcane Strike 1d20 + 7 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 7 + 2 - 2 = 27 Favored Enemy, shaken.
Damage 2d4 + 6 + 1 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (3, 2) + 6 + 1 + 2 - 2 = 12 Arcane Strike, FAvored Enemy, shaken.

Crit Confirm roll 1d20 + 7 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 7 + 2 - 2 = 19 Favored Enemy, shaken.
Damage 2d4 + 6 + 1 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (1, 4) + 6 + 1 + 2 - 2 = 12 Arcane Strike, FAvored Enemy, shaken.

So 24 damage if it confirms (here's to hoping this trog has crap for AC).
18/20 rounds left on Shield.


Wow, this is the battle for criticals! Bear's crit does confirm.

Bear steps up to the newly released zombie on the southwest and swings his blade right through it. It collapses amidst the broken glass and fluid.

Next Up: Venedictus, Dara, Bugbear Zombie, Udaya, Troglodyte Zombies, Fredrik, Bear.

Map Updated


"Rip 'em a new one, Bear!"


Flinging horrid-smelling glop from his blade, Bear smiles weakly, "I think I just did."


"Do it again, DO IT AGAIN!"

After Vene has done his thing, Dara runs up to the nearest zombie (N12) and delivers the smack-a-hoe...

waraxe 1d20 + 5 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (15) + 5 + 2 - 1 = 21 rage, power attack
dmg 1d8 + 3 + 3 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 + 3 + 3 = 15 2H str, 2H rage, 2H power attack


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

It's been working so far, so...
Cue the music, I mean, energy. (again, excluding Filge, though I don't think that's an issue at this point)
1d6 ⇒ 5 Will DC 15


The musical energy spreads out again.

Bugbear Zombie Will save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Troglodyte Zombie 1 Will save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
Troglodyte Zombie 2 Will save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

The zombie bodies writhe in the waves of energy, but they do not fall yet.

Dara moves up to the bugbear zombie and swings her axe. The blade cuts deep, but the undead beast does not fall yet. It responds by swinging its fist at her.

Bugbear Zombie slam: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Damage: 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

It hits her across the side of the head, causing her neck to yank painfully.

Next Up: Udaya, Troglodyte Zombies, Fredrik, Bear, Venedictus, Dara.

Map Updated


Bear; Ok who gets to play UU this round?
Freddie: I do, I do!
Bear: Nahh, I don't think so. You are just gonna play with her.
Freddie: WAAAAHH!
Bear: Oh, All right...just this once...

For UDAYA:

Udaya winces when she sees the zombie smack Dara upside her head. "Hang on there, Shorty, gotta keep this one off Slick here. Be right there."

Standard Action - Single Hit (scimitar crit: 18+/x2):
To Hit: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Now channeling will clearly have extra benefits, so Venedictus will channel once more on his turn, healing Dara at the same time.
1d6 ⇒ 2

Oh, and given those rolls, Freddie clearly should not be allowed to play UU anymore.


Udaya swipes at the zombie in front of her, but does not hit it. It swipes back.

Troglodyte zombie slam: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

It, too, fails to hit.

The other trog zombie lumbers over to Venedictus, looming over him.

Next Up: Fredrik, Bear, Venedictus, Dara, Bugbear Zombie, Udaya, Troglodyte Zombies.

Map Updated


Fredrik curses again, These zombies are getting way too close!

"Udaya! Don't bite off more than you can chew!"He fires his disrupting ray at the one Udaya failed to strike I9

Ranged touch to hit, 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (5) + 2 - 4 = 3 melee
Damage 1d6 ⇒ 1

Considering those rolls for UU and Freddie, I would have to agree. *Goes off to sulk in a corner*


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Then, he'll take a five-foot step to K8.


Pup nudges against Fredrik's leg as he fires his spell, knocking his aim off. The beam shoots way north of the target.

ROUND 3

Next Up: Bear, Venedictus, Dara, Bugbear Zombie, Udaya, Troglodyte Zombies.


Bear's head pivots for a second, Damn! I either leave Venny or Dara alone… well, Dara's a tough girl. Decision made, Bear lumbers over to the undead trog attacking the singing priest…

Move to J-9 (possibly provoking AoO - depending on the kind of undead). Arcane Strike on Undead Trog attacking Venny 1d20 + 7 + 2 - 2 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 7 + 2 - 2 + 2 = 16 Favored Enemy, Shaken, Flanking.
Damage 2d4 + 6 + 1 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (3, 3) + 6 + 1 + 2 - 2 = 13. Arcane Strike, Favored Enemy, Shaken.


The zombie attacking Venedictus takes a swipe at Bear as he passes.

Troglodyte zombie slam: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Bear easily avoids it, however. He then brings his blade down between its neck and shoulder, slicing deep. The undead troglodyte slumps over, no longer moving.

Venedictus steps aside a little and lets the heavenly music continue to pour forth. Dara is healed a little, and the undead damaged just a little more.

Bugbear zombie Will save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
Troglodyte zombie Will save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

Next Up: Dara, Bugbear Zombie, Udaya, Troglodyte Zombie, Fredrik, Bear, Venedictus.

Map Updated


"Be there in a sec, guys!"

Dara continues chopping down the zombie in front of her. If it falls, she'll move to I10. Should it remain standing, she takes a 5-ft step to N11.

waraxe 1d20 + 5 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (10) + 5 + 2 - 1 = 16 rage, power attack
dmg 1d8 + 3 + 3 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 + 3 + 3 = 15 2H, rage, power attack


With another mighty blow from her waraxe, Dara chops most of the way through the bugbear's body. The zombie topples over. She moves over to the one remaining zombie.

Next Up: Udaya, Troglodyte Zombie, Fredrik, Bear, Venedictus, Dara.

Map Updated


Udaya

Udaya continues to swing away at her zombie, determined to return it to the realm from which it came…

Step to I-8 to flank. (5' step if possible, though it looks like there may be an elevation change there). Standard Action - Single Hit (scimitar crit: 18+/x2):
To Hit: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 5 + 2 = 25 flanking.
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Crit confirm: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 5 + 2 = 11 flanking.
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


If the last one is still standing by the time her next turn comes around, Dara will 5-ft step to H10 so that she's flanking then attack again...

waraxe 1d20 + 5 + 2 - 1 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 5 + 2 - 1 + 2 = 21 rage, power attack, flanking
dmg 1d8 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 1d6 ⇒ (7) + 3 + 3 + 3 + (3) = 19 2H, rage, power attack, sneak attack


Udaya's critical does confirm (they're zombies; they have terrible AC), continuing this battle's tradition for criticals.

Udaya's scimitar cuts across the front of the zombie and brings it tumbling down.


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Venedictus will burn his second bless spell for another cure light wounds for Dara (gotta get a wand of this asap)
1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


"Thanks Vene, just lemme catch me breath here fer a minute..."

Dara's hp: 20 - 12 + 2 + 8 = 18/20

Just resting for a moment until the fatigue passes.


Fort save 1d20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 1 + 2 = 12 used to it

Fredrik looks over at the blood splattered around the area, and holds down a gag reflex. Must be getting used to it, he he. He moves over to the skeletal remains of the skeleton on the east wall, and gathers them up.

He then scans the area for magical auras. cast Detect magic.

Once finished, he then asks, "Well, that could have gone better. What should we do with the body?" He indicates Filge's body. "I imagine Pup is getting hungry though..."


Fredrik does not detect any magic in the room.

Bear Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Dara Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15 +2 stone, +1 traps
Fredrik Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Udaya Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Venedictus Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

A look around the room turns up a few things. The blue body on the table is a male human corpse that has had its skin died blue somehow. There is a fine set of silver operating instruments lain out on the table with the body.

On one of the shelves flanking the operating table rests a glass tube about a foot long and half as wide. A slim green worm bobs in the murky chemical solution.

Knowledge (religion) DC 15:
The segmented worm is part of an undead creature called a spawn of Kyuss.


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Venedictus sees Dara picking up the glass tube with the worm and dashes over to snatch it up from her. "Spawn of Kyuss" he mutters, half to himself.

Upon seeing the shocked and expectant looks from the others he elaborates.

"The Spawn of Kyuss. They're..."insert GM explanation here


Fredrik "Flash" Williams wrote:
"Well, that could have gone better. What should we do with the body?"

"I thought it went just fine. Came off on the first swing..."


Venedictus wrote:

Venedictus sees Dara picking up the glass tube with the worm and dashes over to snatch it up from her. "Spawn of Kyuss" he mutters, half to himself.

Upon seeing the shocked and expectant looks from the others he elaborates.

"The Spawn of Kyuss. They're..."insert GM explanation here

The spawn of Kyuss is an undead creature that looks like a zombie or skeleton covered in small worms that crawl into and out of every orifice. The worms carry a sort of infection that transforms its victims into more spawn of Kyuss. A spawn of Kyuss is hard to kill because its wounds constantly heal over (fast healing). Venedictus has no idea where the name Kyuss comes from or any further information about spawn of Kyuss.


Fredrik's ears perk up at the mention of the spawn of Kyuss. Knowledge, History on Kyuss origins 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

"Hmmm, I wonder what this low life necromancer would be doing with that knowledge of a spawn of Kyuss"


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Venedictus shrugs, holding up the glass tube.
"It looks like he was studying it. We could ask him, but I think his head took a bit of a beating bouncing down all those stairs like that."


Freddie smirks at Vene, "Yeah, what a shame. I think his looks have improved overall, don't you?". Freddie glances around him and mutters, "He probably kept notes of his experiments somewhere, anybody wanna help me look for 'em?"

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 4


"Sure, jus' tell me what yer lookin' for..."

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24


Dara Hellhammer wrote:

"Sure, jus' tell me what yer lookin' for..."

Perception 1d20 + 8

"Well, Dara, I am looking for clues.

Navior, we would return to his bedroom area below to search as wel.


"I gotta say... As interesting as looking for the notebook of a recently headless necromancer is, I'm mostly interested in finding those objects we came for. I mean, I'm fine with a bit of lootin', seein' as how he was so happy to try to kill us, but I'll be happy as a clam to gr outta this creepy place." He says this as he begins to flip through Filge's journal, hoping it's his spellbook.

Spellcraft 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8.
knowledge: arcane 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24.


The book is, indeed, Filge's spellbook. Unfortunately, that Spellcraft roll is not enough to decipher the first spell.

Bear Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Dara Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10 +2 stone, +1 traps
Fredrik Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
Udaya Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Venedictus Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

A search of the second floor (Filge's bedroom) turns up a few things.

The tray holding the head is made of silver and probably valuable. The blackened spectacles upon the mummified goblin's nose effectively block glare from bright lights (including the sun) and grant a +2 circumstance bonus on Will saves to resist daze or similar effects. There is a large rug of golden brown fur that is probably worth something.

Knowledge (arcana) DC 15:
The rug is a lammasu pelt.

The papers on Filge's desk mostly concern surgical procedures meant to enhance the potency of undead, while others contain only the meandering scribbles of a mind descending into madness. The magic you detected from the paper earlier turns out to be a single scroll.

Spellcraft DC 24:
It is a scroll of animate dead.

Finally, amongst the papers on the desk, you also find the following letter:

Letter wrote:

Filge,

I need you in Baslwief, my boy. The cult situation has grown worse. Deep within Dourstone Mine they're studying things brought in from the southern hills. Green worms and unkillable zombies. I nicked one of the worms for you to study.
I'll put you up in the old observatory. Show this letter to the big white half-orc at the Feral Dog. He'll help you get settled. I trust you'll find these coins sufficient to cover your travel from Kaer Maga.
S

I'll put a copy of the letter up on the website soon, so that it's available for easy reference.


knowledge: arcana 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11.
Spellcraft 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17.
Wow.. a no-go on either of them.


Knowledge, Arcana 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18
Spellcraft 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11

"That rug should be worth a lot...Lammasu pelt, dang."

He pockets the letter, and says to the others, "I don't like this cult talk mentioned in the letter."


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

"Definitely not. Nor do I like the mention of green worms and unkillable zombies. If some cult has taken up residence inside Dourstone Mine to to study Spawn of Kyuss, then we need to put our escape-Baslwief plans on hold and investigate this further."


"Bear, lemme look at the spellbook, although since it is a necro book, not sure how much I can decipher from it."

Spellcraft 1d20 + 10 - 2 ⇒ (2) + 10 - 2 = 10 prohibited school

Once done perusing this, he comments, "Yeah, hate to say but I am with Vene here on this, besides they are sure to have loads of treasure stashed away in their hideout."


"As much as there may or may not be treasure stashed in this cult's lair, I'm most interested in wrapping up the jobs we're currently on first, not to mention getting the heck out of this creepy house. Since we're done in this room, let's go check out the rest of the house, recover the rest of the bones, and keep an eye out for any more shinies." He pauses for a second, rubbing a meaty hand atop his bald head. "Also, it occurs to me that we should leave the way we came. If we can fix the window back in place, fix the divots created by the grappling hook on the window sill, and leave that way, it may go that much farther to making sure our footprints aren't immediately attached to this dirty business. I mean, for all anyone knows, Filge might have been beheaded by his own dirty work's hands." He looks around, seeing if anyone has any thoughts on that plan.

"Of course, we still have to survive searching this little house of horrors."


"Good idea on leavin' here Bear. I like the way you think. As fer this cult stuff, why in tha hell would we wanna get mixed up in that?"


Fredrik nods at the Varisian, "Of course Bear, that is the best way to do it. No need to advertise we were even here, although that half orc fella may squeal on us, we can cross that bridge later. For now, let's finish up here, get the bones, and get out of here."

Responding to Dara's query, he simply replies, "Money. They certainly had enough to set up poor Filge here in style."


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

"This is style?" Venedictus asks, gesturing to the head on a platter.


You head down the stairs from Filge's bedroom, only to be greeted by the stench of rotting flesh. You come into a room in which ten chairs surround an oblong dining table. A sagging antique wooden shelf dominates the west wall, looking like it might collapse at any moment.

The dining table, however, is where the true sight of horror in this room is. With the exception of the place at the west end, each of the chairs surrounding the table holds an awkwardly seated humanoid figure. The nine bodies are in various stages of decomposition. Some sit with splendid posture, paused as if midway through a sumptuous feast. Others slump treacherously close to the floor.

Heaping plates of apparently fresh food sit before the diners, but the empty place setting features a clean plate and set of utensils. Several bottles of red wine rest upon the table, and each of the corpses sits before a half-finished glass. A fly passes nearby, its there-not-there buzz breaking this eerie silence.

Bear Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Dara Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23 +2 stone, +1 traps
Fredrik Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Udaya Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Venedictus Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Map Updated


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

"Does he..." pauses to swallow bile, "Did he eat here? Sitting at that tenth place for his own meals like he was hosting a party of the dead? This guy was sick! I think we need to cut off his head again."


Fredrik makes a mental note not to eat such a big meal, before going on adventures. He grits his teeth, and murmers an incantation for detecting magical auras.

Detect Magic


"I gotta say, I'm not even surprised by this sh!t anymore." He watches Freddy study the room for magic. "Pickin' anything up?


"This..." Dara points to the scene with her war axe, "This is some fu<ked-up sh!t right here! What the hell?! This guy was outta his damn mind!"

1,701 to 1,750 of 2,094 << first < prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Navior's Age of Worms All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.