Navior's Age of Worms (Inactive)

Game Master Navior


1,801 to 1,850 of 2,094 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>

Fredrik stifles a yawn, and sighs in relief. Glad to be out of that place. He idly strokes Pup's hair, as he says, "I don't like the idea of spending the night here in front of the observatory. Who knows what other visitors Filge may get. I think we should head to the farmstead now, and rest there."


"I agree with Freddy. The only thing's gonna be waiting for us in town is trouble at this point. At least we can finish the mess with the bodies and that little ghost kid." As they make their way to the farm, Bear thinks aloud, "I guess we should find a place to hole up for some shut-eye, too."

Bear will take some time as they approach the farm-house to look for a camp-site location that is both out of the way from observers as well as sheltered from any bad weather.
Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Survival 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7.


548 XP each.

The best place to camp out is probably in the farmhouse itself as there are the walls to shelter you from view and the ceiling (what's left of it) to help shelter you from bad weather. So you find a stable area by the owlbear's nest and set up camp. Pup goes immediately to the old nest and lies down in it, looking quite content. You set up watches and gratefully get some sleep, sleeping a bit late into the next morning (Pharast 12) since you spent so much time up in the night.

Once you're up and have eaten a little breakfast, you head back down to the grave site and bury the bones. You're not sure whose bones are whose, so you end up needing to put them all together in one mass grave rather than the separate graves they were originally in and just hope that's good enough. Once they're reburied and a few prayers said, you head back to the Whispering Cairn. You pass through the entry hall, the usual whispering still heard there. Nothing seems to have changed. Then you go through the sarcophagus chamber. The sarcophagus has reset itself again, so you need to turn that to the blue lantern and relight the lanterns. Finally, you climb up into the passageway and head down it. You reach the long room with the iron balls and the thin bridge. There is no sign of Allastor, but the door at the far end is open, light filtering through it. It would seem that you succeeded and that he kept his promise.

You move carefully along the bridge to the door and peer through. Beyond you see a huge, cavernous chamber. The chamber consists of a large stone walkway around a deep chasm that leads into darkness. Four platforms lead from the walkway to a central ring, but two of these platforms are broken. Bright light reminiscent of a summer's day (it's not summer now) filters down from the ceiling about 40 feet above. Four wide galleries extend from the outer walkway, their far walls covered with enormous bas-relief vistas. A sighing wind emits from a huge pillar of rushing air at the centre of the chamber. The column extends from the floor to the ceiling, cutting through the room's central ring.

Map Cairn4 Updated


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Which way is the column of air rushing - up or down?

He casts a light spell on a piece of rubble and tosses it over the side to see how far down the chasm goes. Yes, okay, pretty stupid. If a balrog shows up, you can feed him Vene.

Happy Dead Bird Day, Michael. Sucks to be a Yank today!!


True Story: Americans born and raised in the 'southern' states find it slightly funny to be called Yanks, knowing that the real Yanks are all born and raised north of the Mason-Dixon line. While those born north of the Mason-Dixon find it offensive to be called Yanks in general.

Those crazy Yanks! :D


*AHEM*, true Yank here, does that make me crazy? Wait don't answer that, he he.

Fredrik gazes into the room, and peers inside. Once Vene has tossed his light pebble down, he steps inside and scans for magical auras. Detect Magic

Updated spells memorized.


Venedictus wrote:

Which way is the column of air rushing - up or down?

He casts a light spell on a piece of rubble and tosses it over the side to see how far down the chasm goes. Yes, okay, pretty stupid. If a balrog shows up, you can feed him Vene.

Happy Dead Bird Day, Michael. Sucks to be a Yank today!!

The column of air is rushing in every direction, up and down and round and round. It could almost be a tornado except it's not funnel-shaped, but a perfect column 10 feet in diameter. It's also not blowing things in the rest of the room.

The pebble falls down about 60 feet before hitting the bottom. The bottom is basin-shaped and so the pebble rolls to the centre and into the column of air. You can see the light from it shoot straight upwards and then vanish through the ceiling.

Fredrik detects three distinct magical auras, one from the central column of air, one from the first gallery to the left, and the third from the first gallery to the right. The spell's range does not reach the other two galleries, so he can't be sure about them.

Knowledge (arcana) central column: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17 -- can't determine the school
Knowledge (arcana) left gallery: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24 -- illusion
Knowledge (arcana) right gallery: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23 -- illusion


Navior, are the galleries at the NW, NE, SW, and SE corners of the map?

Fredrik nods at the results of his spell. "Well, Dara and Udaya, when you start your explorations, keep in mind those galleries are cloaked in illusionary auras, so they could be hiding anything."


"You guys, stay here an' look sharp. Legs, keep a bit behind me an' let's scout this out..."

Dara will begin movie counter-clockwise checking for traps with every move action and inspecting things as she goes. (I'll leave the rolls to you since you'd know how many that needs to be.) Udaya will follow behind by a distance equal to just under one move action so that she can rush to Dara's side if need be. The goal is to do a circuit of the room ending up back with the group again after we've checked out everything.


Fredrik "Flash" Williams wrote:
Navior, are the galleries at the NW, NE, SW, and SE corners of the map?

Yes. They're the areas that sort of stick out a little bit.

Dara and Udaya begin their circuit around the room.

Dara Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26 +2 stone, +1 traps
Udaya Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

As they approach the bottom-right gallery, a smoky sheet of steam bellows out over the gallery wall. As the steam eddies and play about the rough carvings, distinct impressionist images become apparent on the wall. These images shift and move, coming alive with action. The events depict a massive battle between humanoids who look much like the representations you've seen in other areas of the cairn and demonic creatures that look like a cross between spiders and wolves. As the steam moves about, a heavily armoured humanoid character impales with a rod a demonic entity that looks like a spider with a four-armed human body and a human head flanked by two wolf heads. As the wolf-spider, the rod, and the humanoid vanish into a planar rift, another humanoid warrior is struck by a beam from the wolf-spiders eyes and slumps to the ground dead. The scene then repeats.

Dara finds nothing else along this area. After she and Udaya have passed the gallery and move away from it, the smoke stops and the scene vanishes.

Dara Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11 +2 stone, +1 traps
Udaya Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

As they approach the top-right gallery, smoke also spews out over the wall and presents a different scene. A group of seven proud warriors present a staff-like rod to a council of humanoids. The central figure of the council takes the staff and raises it above his head, where it splits into seven irregular parts. Each of the seven warriors bears a carven glyph. Each glyph is similar, though not identical, and a couple of them match glyphs you've seen elsewhere in the cairn.

Dara Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26 +2 stone, +1 traps
Udaya Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

Once again, the scene repeats until Dara and Udaya move away. At the top-left gallery another scene begins. Here, a towering humanoid figure wearing a glyph identical to the one on the apparatus by the entrance (and the one that Alustan is studying) stands over a legion of warriors. You recognize this figure as the same one who was killed by the wolf-spider at the bottom-right gallery. The warriors, all wearing individual glyphs, raise their longswords in salute to the main figure. You recognize this figure as the same one who was killed by the wolf-spider at the bottom-right gallery. It is clear now that you are seeing these events in reverse order.

Dara Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14 +2 stone, +1 traps
Udaya Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

At the final gallery (bottom-left), the image shows a peaceful scene featuring several of the tall humanoids relaxing in an idyllic country scene. Dozens of perfect circles fill the sky above the frolicking figures. As the steam runs over the image, dark, twisted shapes emerge from the sculpture's edges. The shapes coalesce to form monstrous creatures that look like a cross between spiders and wolves. As the creatures approach the humanoids, the circles in the sky begin to burst one by one.


Fredrik watches Udaya move and his breath quickens a little...well maybe more than a little, Man, she was georgeous! A night with her would probably kill me but wow what a way to go! Noticing his body responding to the thought, he hurriedly concentrates on the images and the story they told, even though the scenes were triggered in reverse order, was enough to inflame his imagination and drive thoughts of Udaya out of his mind, at least for now.

Wow, those must be the Wind Dukes of Aquaan, and the glyph is definitely one of the main generals in this war! And they created the Rod of Seven Parts! This place is no burial cairn, that is for sure! No wonder this cairn was stricken from the records, but who did that, I wonder.

He speaks up once Dara and Udaya have returned, a note of excitement in his voice, There is more to this place than any of us suspected! We need to see what else is in here! Bear, there is another aura coming from the central pillar, can you check it out?"


"Sure."

Knowledge: Arcana 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18.


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:

"Sure."

Knowledge: Arcana 1d20 + 7.

The central column is emanating conjuration magic.


When informed of this by Bear, Fredrik thinks for a moment. "Hmmm, I think the only place to check out is at the bottom of the pillar. Dara, I know you have that ring of feather fall, did you want to climb down there and have a look? We can tie a rope to your waist, so you can climb back up."


Didn't a pebble get flung into the ceiling and out of sight when it went into that hole? I mean, I know dwarf-tossing is a hobby in some circles but...


Dara Hellhammer wrote:
Didn't a pebble get flung into the ceiling and out of sight when it went into that hole? I mean, I know dwarf-tossing is a hobby in some circles but...

Yes, Venedictus cast a light spell on a pebble that rolled into the column and then shot up through the ceiling.


"Didn't the little dead kid say there was treasure back here?"


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1
Navior wrote:
Dara Hellhammer wrote:
Didn't a pebble get flung into the ceiling and out of sight when it went into that hole? I mean, I know dwarf-tossing is a hobby in some circles but...
Yes, Venedictus cast a light spell on a pebble that rolled into the column and then shot up through the ceiling.

But never came back down. Perhaps all the goodies in this room are 'up, up, and away'?


"Yeah, it's looking like it, I think."


Dara frowns at the column of air, "You sure ya can pull me back down if it flings me up there?"

After tying a rope around her waist, she hesitantly sticks her left hand into the streaming air and then removes it quickly so as to gauge its strength and see if anything else happens.


Dara Hellhammer wrote:

Dara frowns at the column of air, "You sure ya can pull me back down if it flings me up there?"

After tying a rope around her waist, she hesitantly sticks her left hand into the streaming air and then removes it quickly so as to gauge its strength and see if anything else happens.

Which platform are you using to approach the central column?


The one at 9 o'clock on the map.


As you step onto the platform, two figures step out of the central column of air. Both wear gleaming plate armour festooned with red pennons that twist and bob in the wind. Both wield twin longswords, which they raise for the attack.

Bear Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Dara Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Fredrik Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Udaya Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Venedictus Initiative: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (1) + 0 = 1
Wind Warriors Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

Roll-off between Bear and Dara:
Bear Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Dara Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Order: Udaya, Bear, Dara, Fredrik, Wind Warriors, Venedictus.

ROUND 1

Up First: Udaya

Map Cairn4 Updated


UDAYA

Udaya's voice is low, carrying a warning to the team, "Careful, boys. Let's not over-extend ourselves here." And her blade dips low, ready for a vertical slash aimed at whichever of the mysterious fighters who steps into range.

She stands her ground and Readies an attack on the first to step into a threatened square.

Readied Attack Roll:
Standard Action - Single Hit (scimitar crit: 18+/x2):
To Hit: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Bear nods at Udaya's words, moving up so he's more useful if blades become necessary. "Just in case…" he mutters as he prepares a telekinetic attack in case the guards move aggressively. As he readies his attack, he shouts across the room to the new guards, "Hey, fellas! Is this gonna have to get messy?"

Move to the square just north of Vene. Ready Telekinetic Fist at the first of the two guards who moves in aggressively.

Readied Attack:
Ranged Touch Attack (and opponents should be flat-footed) 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Damage 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2. Some serious damage there.

AC is currently 14.


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Venedictus, on his amazing initiative roll, begins to sing a chant of praise to Shelyn. The music is so beautiful that it cries out to be sung, and everybody finds themselves humming along. The music fills them with confidence, and their combat prowess becomes more in tune, their clumsy moves more graceful and precise, and their hearts stouter.

+1 to attack, damage, and saves versus fear


Wonder if these guys'll go away if I step back here...

Dara, a grim look on her face, nods at UU's words. She positions herself alongside her tall friend (i.e. diagonal 5-ft step to the upper-left), and keeps her waraxe and buckler at the ready against the enemy's attack.

After being attacked, if there is an enemy before her, she will attack the one that has already seemed to suffer the most damage. For this, she uses 2-hands. She makes certain to hold off on raging and ignoring her buckler until after she has defended against the first attack.
readied attack 1d20 + 5 - 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 5 - 1 + 2 + 1 = 26 power attack, rage, inspire courage
dmg 1d8 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 3 + 3 + 3 + 1 = 18 2H, power attack, rage, inspire courage


Fredrik sighs, Here we go again...Are these Wind Dukes, he wonders. Maybe we can talk to them...he mutters a quick spell Mage Armor AC now 15

Knowledge, Planes 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16 for weaknesses.

He calls out in Auran,

Auran:
"We don't mean you guys any harm, put down your weapons, we only want to talk"

Diplomacy 1d20 ⇒ 20


Udaya, Bear, and Dara get themselves positioned. Fredrik calls out to the warriors, but they don't respond. Instead the two warriors march forward a short distance (3 squares), their pennons still blowing in the wind even though there is no longer any wind for them to blow in. Each one then points one of its swords straight out. A loud boom emits from the swords and you can see the air in front of them ripple. Each ripple extends in a straight line along the platform, one passing over Udaya and Venedictus, the other over Dara and Bear. As it passes over, you shake from the vibrations and your ears hurt from the volume.

Bear Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20 - half damage
Dara Reflex: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10 - full damage
Udaya Reflex: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9 - full damage
Venedictus Reflex: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20 - half damage
Damage to Bear and Dara: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 2) = 5 sonic
Damage to Udaya and Venedictus: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 6) = 8 sonic
Summary of damage: Bear takes 2 points of sonic damage, Dara takes 5 points of sonic damage, Udaya takes 8 points of sonic damage, and Venedictus takes 4 points of sonic damage.

Venedictus then begins his song (providing everyone with the +1 bonus).

ROUND 2

Next Up: Udaya, Bear, Dara, Fredrik, Wind Warriors, Venedictus.

Map Cairn4 Updated


Did my readied (ranged) attack go off as they leveled their weapons at us?


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
Did my readied (ranged) attack go off as they leveled their weapons at us?

Yes, sorry, my mistake. For some reason, I was treating everyone as having readied melee attacks even though I specifically noted to myself beforehand not to forget that Bear's attack would go off. So it went off just before their attack and adjusts his initiative.

Bear's telekinetic fist rams into the northern warrior, rattling it a little, but not doing any serious damage.

Revised Order:
Up Next: Udaya, Dara, Fredrik, Bear, Wind Warriors, Venedictus.


Just a thought, but perhaps anyone who's got 'em should make a Knowledge check to see if they can ID what we're fighting."

K: Dungeoneering 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


You read my mind, Shorty!
Knowledge: arcane 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15.

Down to 20/22 hp


And stupid me forgot Fredrik's roll for the same thing above. Alas, his roll is not high enough (these count as rare creatures making the DC = 15 + CR). Bear and Dara, unfortunately, the check needed is Knowledge (planes).


How tall are these guys?

Bear grunts as the strange wave lances through him, "Anyone think of any reason I shouldn't try to run along that other platform to flank them?'


"Hopefully the platform is stable, Bear. Considering our current predicament, I would say it is worth the risk."


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
How tall are these guys?

They are about 6 feet tall.


"Well if they ain't gonna come an' fight us, I guess we'll hafta step up."

On her turn, Dara will step up and deliver her previously rolled attack. If Bear will have enough time to get into a flanking position, she'll delay to allow for the sneak attack (if applicable). :3


UDAYA

"Screw it! We do this the hard way!" Udaya says as she charges in.

Charge the guard in front of her (scimitar crit: 18+/x2):
To Hit: 1d20 + 5 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 5 + 2 + 1 = 26 charge, Inspire
Damage: 1d6 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 1 = 11 Inspire

Confirm Critical (scimitar):
To Hit: 1d20 + 5 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 5 + 2 + 1 = 19 charge, Inspire
Bonus Damage: +1d6 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 1 = 8 Inspire

19 damage of it confirms

Also, UU is down to 12 hp.


"I can't make it any time soon. But I got another idea!" He smirks and looks at Udaya as she charges forward, "Let's show these boys my newest trick called 'Hell Cat's Surprise', shall we?!" Bear begins concentrating, a slew of arcane words issuing from his mouth, and after a few heartbeats, you see him begin to grow.

Begin casting Enlarge Person on self. It will finish casting at the beginning of next round.


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Venedictus will try to assess the difficulty of these opponents. If Udaya's vicious blow takes out one of these guys, he'll just content himself with continuing the inspire courage and give Udaya a bit of luck.

If it's still up, though, he'll try his new spell, as a swift action invoking a short boost from Shelyn, adding an additional +1 to his inspire courage, then moves up and gives Udaya a bit of luck (rerolls any d20s for 1 round).


I should have done this before, but can we have Udaya go ahead and Lay Hands on herself before she rushes in? *snicker, snicker*


19 hp of damage? Well dang, you just set out to 1-up Dara by 1 hp now didn't you?! :P

Dara will place her attack on the same enemy that Udaya hit in the hopes of eliminating it. "Dad said it wasn't nice ta' point so lemme teach ya where ta stick those swords ya wind-blown freaks!"


Fredrik cheers mentally ,and then moves up to cast a spell...

He will move along the outer edge of the platform so he can cast Color Spray at both of the Wind Warriors. if the angle won't permit him to catch both of them, he will Aim for the non wounded one.

Will Save DC 16
2 HD or less: The creature is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for 2d4 ⇒ (4, 3) = 7 rounds, then blinded and stunned for 1d4 ⇒ 3 rounds, and then stunned for 1 round. (Only living creatures are knocked unconscious.)
3 or 4 HD: The creature is blinded and stunned for 1d4 ⇒ 3 rounds, then stunned for 1 round.
5 or more HD: The creature is stunned for 1 round.


Again, i forgot Arcane Spell Failure. 1d100 ⇒ 85.
No problems here.


Since you got it in there before I had a chance to resolve the action, Udaya may use a lay on hands before charging in.

Lay on hands: 1d6 ⇒ 3

Udaya quickly heals herself of some of her wounds and then charges forward and swings her scimitar at the warrior. She cuts through the armour and into... the air beneath. Up close, she can see through the small gaps in the armour and the slits in the visor where the eyes should be. There is only air. (Alas, these things are armour-wearing elementals and elementals are one of the few things still immune to critical hits. She still does the base 11 damage, however.)

Dara moves up and brings her axe down at the same one, slicing through gaps in the armour and through the wind underneath. It stumbles but does not fall.

Fredrik, you could easily get both wind warriors in a color spray, but not without getting at least one of Udaya and Dara as well (since they've now moved up). There is, unfortunately, no way to get any of the wind warriors without getting at least one of Udaya and Dara without getting round to the other side of the warriors. Would you like to re-evaluate your action?

Map Updated


Oh well, that will teach Udaya to spurn me...Fredrik zaps her with his spell...ha ha just kidding...he will change this to a readied action, triggered when he can catch them without affecting either Dara or Udaya.


Fredrik "Flash" Williams wrote:
Oh well, that will teach Udaya to spurn me...Fredrik zaps her with his spell...ha ha just kidding...he will change this to a readied action, triggered when he can catch them without affecting either Dara or Udaya.

Righto!

As Fredrik waits for the right opportunity, Bear begins casting his spell. Then the warriors attack. They raise their swords and swing them at Dara and Udaya.

The north warrior attacks Dara.

Wind warrior longsword 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Wind warrior longsword 2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Critical confirm for longsword 2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Damage: 2d8 + 6 ⇒ (3, 4) + 6 = 13

One sword cuts deeply into Dara's shoulder, but the other deflects harmlessly off her armour.

The south warrior attacks Udaya.

Wind warrior longsword 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Wind warrior longsword 2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Udaya takes a nasty blow from one of the swords.

Venedictus then moves up and provides Udaya with a bit of luck. For all d20 rolls for 1 round, she can roll twice and take the better result.

ROUND 3

Next Up: Udaya, Dara, Fredrik, Bear, Wind Warriors, Venedictus.

Map Cairn4 Updated


Dara roars in pain as her vision goes red. She swings with everything she's got at the stronger of the two enemies hoping the others can clean up what's left after she goes down.

Dara 1d20 + 5 - 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 5 - 1 + 2 + 1 = 23 power attack, rage, inspire courage
dmg 1d8 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 3 + 3 + 3 + 1 = 17 2h, rage, power attack, inspire courage


UDAYA

Udaya shouts at her dwarvish companion, "Stay with me, Shorty!" While she would love to heal her companion now, it would cost her precious time, and Bear still is not ready yet to help.

She touches herself again and allows healing magic to flow into her.

Lay on Hands - Standard Act or Swift Act on self
Effect: 1d6 ⇒ 1 Heal or DAM to undead

Current HP 12+3=15-11=4 HP left

Then she attacks the one in front of her...

Standard Action - Single Hit (scimitar crit: 18+/x2):
To Hit: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

1,801 to 1,850 of 2,094 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Navior's Age of Worms All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.