GM Dak - Second Darkness

Game Master Dakcenturi

Chapter 1: Shadow in the Sky
Part 4: Under the Gold Goblin

Pics / Maps / Loot & Notes

Starting Day: Moonday, 1st of Calistril, 4709
Current Day: Toilday, 23nd of Calistril, 4709


551 to 600 of 1,453 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

"I am always careful," Sarai says.

Except that once...why could I not be content with what I had?

"Do you have any ideas as to which bosses might be suspects? It might help us watch out for them," she says.


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 19/22 | AC 17 (19); TAC 12 (14); FFAC 15 (17) | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: Shield of Faith (30 rds), Divine Favor (10 rds), Sickened (10 rds.); Judgement - Protection | Deflection Aura: 1/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 2/4

"Regardless,"Thyra adds to the conversation,"It might be best if we travel outside these walls in no less than pairs for a time. Perhaps I can convince Hedran to come with me to the forge in the mornings, but I can forgo the complete ritual, if necessary."


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Saul burst out laughing at Sarai's question and just shakes his head "Well any of them... all of them? Clegg Zincher is probably at the top of the list though." He looks to Nessa briefly then back to the rest of you "I know you lot are new here so maybe Nessa can clue you in but I had a... difficult past in this town. Now that I'm trying to be on the up and up with this here casino, it's just made me a target for old enemies."

When Thyra mentions staying together Saul nods "Not a bad idea, maybe let your friends know where you are going too. I have no idea were my former employees ran off to, they just up and disappeared."


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None
Sarai Shae wrote:
She looks at Hedran. "Speaking of a tasting, perhaps we should make sure it isn't poisoned before having the public consume it. I have partaken of many of this life's fineries. I shall stoop to volunteer for this task."

"I wouldn't mind, but are you sure you want to Sarai?" - Hedran smiled - "You know the saying - 'If you stoop too low...'

Thyra Osouf wrote:
"Regardless,"Thyra adds to the conversation,"It might be best if we travel outside these walls in no less than pairs for a time. Perhaps I can convince Hedran to come with me to the forge in the mornings, but I can forgo the complete ritual, if necessary."

"Sure, you can count on me" - he nods back at Thyra.

GM Dak wrote:
Saul burst out laughing at Sarai's question and just shakes his head "Well any of them... all of them? Clegg Zincher is probably at the top of the list though." He looks to Nessa briefly then back to the rest of you "I know you lot are new here so maybe Nessa can clue you in but I had a... difficult past in this town. Now that I'm trying to be on the up and up with this here casino, it's just made me a target for old enemies."

"Well, that is why we are here" - the half orc adds, matter of fact.


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 3/6

Nessa was quite pleased when they finally arrived back at the Golden Goblin with the wine. She'd had a pleasant ride atop the wagon and hopped nimbly down when they finally stopped. With no more concern about the wine Nessa went inside with everyone to Saul's office for a meeting with the man about the task and decided the others did quite a nice job of giving him the details. They did so well that she just perched there on the desk as usual while they did so.

The talk of a wine tasting with Saul was actually a very good idea and her tail lashed in appreciation of the concept, even better Saul greed, and so she was inordinately pleased with the results of such a mundane task. As he began to explain his difficulties and mentioned the missing co-workers Nessa seemed somewhat agitated. She hadn't been close to any of them, they disappeared too quickly for that to happen, but a few of them were intriguing and now they were gone.

Nessa nodded when Saul mentioned to them about Zincher and said, "He is a nasty one and I think our biggest threat. He has a fair bit of power and, I believe, a personal beaf with you in particular Saul?" She seemed uncertain about that last part but shook it off and continued, "Zincher also has a personal grudge with a close friend of mine, one I would prefer he not get hold of, and so I would be pleased to see anything that caused him problems."


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Saul nods to Nessa's uncertain question but doesn't add more. As she mentions being pleased with anything that would Zincher in a difficult position he grins "Couldn't agree with you more there. However, at this point we barely have the resources to keep ourselves going strong let alone think about fighting one of the most powerful bosses in Riddleport."

Looking at you all he shrugs "In any case, I appreciate your prompt and successful assistance. I don't have anything else for now. We've only just opened so I'll let you all get back to your day job." He winks. He raises up his key hand for you all to wait "Before I forget, I'll get a cask of your hard work ready for tonight so you lot can have a personal taste test, make sure everything is good before we give it to the public. How's that sound?"

As a reminder Saul previously assigned jobs here. Feel free to RP among yourselves for a bit. Updated map to move you to the main floor of the Gold Goblin, Saul's office was upstairs.


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 19/22 | AC 17 (19); TAC 12 (14); FFAC 15 (17) | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: Shield of Faith (30 rds), Divine Favor (10 rds), Sickened (10 rds.); Judgement - Protection | Deflection Aura: 1/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 2/4

Thyra nods at Saul's thanks and grins a little at the mention of the wine, "I may be convinced to sample the wares, once we've closed up. I think that would be good, thank you Saul."

Once they are dismissed, Thyra walks down to the main floor, falling into step with Nessa, or just behind, as the stairs allow. "I will admit that I've never seen you show that kind of concern for another," she speaks casually, referring to the close friend that she mentioned earlier. "It's refreshing to see another side of you that doesn't revolve around... work." She gives Nessa the opportunity to respond, if she wishes, but doesn't otherwise push the point.

When she was originally given the position in security, I made the assumption that there is a place where she can lockup the confiscated weapons during a patron's stay. Any idea where that would be on your map? Certainly doesn't appear to be at the front door, where I would have expected it.


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Hans and Beyar, two of Sauls other employees roll out a weapons cabinet on wheels that is kept near the entrance during business hours.


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 19/22 | AC 17 (19); TAC 12 (14); FFAC 15 (17) | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: Shield of Faith (30 rds), Divine Favor (10 rds), Sickened (10 rds.); Judgement - Protection | Deflection Aura: 1/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 2/4
GM Dak wrote:
Hans and Beyar, two of Sauls other employees roll out a weapons cabinet on wheels that is kept near the entrance during business hours.

Perfect.

Thyra, as usual, positions herself between the two sets of doors, and just forward enough to be easily visible by any patron that enters. She keeps her own hammer within arms reach, resting head down on the ground, though it is often directly in front of her where she can lift it to ready position, or use the long haft to rest against.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17 Looking for any suspicious behavior.
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21 Watching for hidden weapons or other contraband.
Intimidate: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12 Reserved for unruly customers.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None
GM Dak wrote:
Looking at you all he shrugs "In any case, I appreciate your prompt and successful assistance. I don't have anything else for now. We've only just opened so I'll let you all get back to your day job." He winks. He raises up his key hand for you all to wait "Before I forget, I'll get a cask of your hard work ready for tonight so you lot can have a personal taste test, make sure everything is good before we give it to the public. How's that sound?"

"Sounds like we have a deal" - Hedran nods and moves off to manning the floor.

As before, he does not make any effort to move around unnoticed. He is however discreet, so as not to bump into customers and/or gamblers - his presence is noted, but not invasive.

The half-orc settles on different circuits each time he traverses the room, but always guarantees he passes by the others, and make sure all is well.

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

Sarai gets back to work.

Eyes in the sky, huh? I suppose my days of parties and balls and lounging around are truly over...

Still, there was something invigorating here, watching for scoundrels and cheats. Sarai had a way of watching things from the shadow, and she had already caught someone trying to cheat. That had been exciting.

She found a position where she could see most of the floor and watches from the shadows.

stealth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15
perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 3/6

With the meeting over Nessa headed to the dressing room to put on her "devil outfit". Her's consisted of both more and less than the other girls which was only right given her higher status. Her outfit was a combination of a halter top and skirt, both in red, but of an extremely sheer fabric. It was almost possible to see through the garments and was easy to see there was nothing beneath them even if the details were still slightly obscured. She had red high heeled boots that reached just to her knees and walked with her usual seductive grace.

As she moved through the crowd Nessa flirted, cajoled, and did what she could to entice people to eat, drink, and spend more. Occasionally she'd take someone to the room set aside for her private entertainments when Saul was around to watch things but she kept such occasions rare. usually it would be a big winner who she knew would tip well for her services.
diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

As you return to work after your special errand, the evening seems to drone by. Late into the night or early the next morning, depending on who you asked, the casino kicks out the last customers and you finally have a chance to relax after a rather quite shift. As promised Saul left out a cask of your newly obtained goods at the bar for you test, letting you unwind a bit as most of the normal employees head out for the evening. Now that Nessa has her own set of keys to the place, you can stay as late as she lets you.

While you're getting your drink on, feel free to get to know one another a little bit more since you kind of just got thrown together. Also, what are everyone's sleeping arrangements?


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 19/22 | AC 17 (19); TAC 12 (14); FFAC 15 (17) | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: Shield of Faith (30 rds), Divine Favor (10 rds), Sickened (10 rds.); Judgement - Protection | Deflection Aura: 1/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 2/4

After a long night, Thyra tentatively enjoys the wine provided. "Definitely not the same as dwarven ale. Wine was available where I grew up, but usually anyone that drank it was usually teased to no end. Guess that's what happens when you're raised by a dwarven clergy." She suddenly recalls where she is, and sits up a little straighter. "Ummm... it's good."

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that Saul was providing rooms, if necessary. If not, then she would try to find lodgings with one of the dwarves that she met at the forge.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None

Same here regarding the sleeping arrangements. Else, Hedran will be taking up a room at the closest inn :)

Hedran takes off his weapons belt, sets it in close reach, then sits down with the others. Seeing as Thyra already has a glass, he pours one for Sarai and Nessa, and then himself - "Mind if I ask how such a thing comes to be?" - he turns to the Inquisitor, allowing the wine to breathe for a moment - "Being raised by dwarven clergy, that is"


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

He is, just making sure who is taking him up on that.


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 19/22 | AC 17 (19); TAC 12 (14); FFAC 15 (17) | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: Shield of Faith (30 rds), Divine Favor (10 rds), Sickened (10 rds.); Judgement - Protection | Deflection Aura: 1/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 2/4
Hedran wrote:
Hedran takes off his weapons belt, sets it in close reach, then sits down with the others. Seeing as Thyra already has a glass, he pours one for Sarai and Nessa, and then himself - "Mind if I ask how such a thing comes to be?" - he turns to the Inquisitor, allowing the wine to breathe for a moment - "Being raised by dwarven clergy, that is"

Thyra glances at the half-orc, then back at her glass, seeming to examine the contents for a few moments in silence. "Getting left on their doorstep as a child, is how such a thing comes about," she finally responds, with no malice in her voice. "But I have no regrets. The priests have always been good to me, in their own gruff manner, and I feel I'm a better person for it."


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 3/6

Nessa was inordinately pleased that she now had a key for the casino. It wasn't often one like her was trusted with such a thing. As a consequence she was feeling very good when she was offered a glass fo the wine by Hedran. Nessa took a slow sip of it and enjoyed the flavor a great deal, she didn't drink alcohol often as there other far more enjoyable things she did with her time, but she had tasted enough to know this was very good.

Nessa listened to what they all spoke f as they drank but didn't mention anything herself as no one had asked her yet. Normally she would flirt, cajole, and entice people with her to the best of her abilities but decided that she didn't feel like it just then. She had to admit that Thyra's story was interesting as she'd never met anyone raised by dwarves, at least not in such a situation as hers, and so this was something knew.


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

At some point during the evening a pretty half-elf woman, who Nessa knows as Samaritha, runs up to Nessa and exclaims "Guess what!" nearly jumping up and down with excitement.

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

I think Sarai has been staying here, if that is available, or nearby if not.

Moments ago...

Sarai inhales deeply as she holds a glass of the fine wine beneath her nose. She swirls it around in her glass and takes a sip.

"Ah, this is more like it. This would be standard fare for me before, but alas, not anymore."

She lounges in a chair and surveys her new companions.

"Raised by dwarves, huh? I think your beard is beginning to come in...just a little on the sides," she says, but not in mean spirits.

"What quality do you admire most in those that raised you?" she asks as one who seems well-versed in etiquette.

EDIT: Sorry, ninja'd by the GM...

Currently...

When the pretty half-elf runs in, Sarai says "I guess our party is over."

Turning to her, she says "I'm not good at guessing games. Why don't you just tell us?"


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 3/6

Hearing Samaritha's voice as the lovely half-elf came running in Nessa rose and went up to the woman. "And what would that be Samaritha?" She smiled knowingly as she reached one hand out to guide Samaritha towards where the group was, "I take it this has to do with the introduction to a certain cypher mage I arranged for you?" Nessa had unfolded one wing and wrapped it around Samaritha's shoulders as she guided the woman to where the group sat.


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 19/22 | AC 17 (19); TAC 12 (14); FFAC 15 (17) | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: Shield of Faith (30 rds), Divine Favor (10 rds), Sickened (10 rds.); Judgement - Protection | Deflection Aura: 1/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 2/4
Sarai Shae wrote:

"Raised by dwarves, huh? I think your beard is beginning to come in...just a little on the sides," she says, but not in mean spirits.

"What quality do you admire most in those that raised you?" she asks as one who seems well-versed in etiquette.

Thyra chuckles at the jest, "Not the first time I've heard that. The head priest would often tease me about my lack of beard as a child, and it kind of grew into bit of a game."

Once more, Thyra's focus seems to drift far away as she is thinking of things of the past. "I've always admired their stubborn pride. Despite how infuriating it can be, they never back down on their ideals without good reason. It's one thing that I've tried to emulate, though I still have a long way to go, in a great many ways."

GM Dak wrote:
At some point during the evening a pretty half-elf woman, who Nessa knows as Samaritha, runs up to Nessa and exclaims "Guess what!" nearly jumping up and down with excitement.

A quizzical expression crosses the young woman's face at the entrance of this newcomer. With is single motion, she finishes of the wine and stands to greet the half-elf, "Friend of yours?" she asks of Nessa, then turns back to Samaritha, "Hello, I'm Thyra."


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Samaritha grabbed hold of Nessa and gave her a big hug as she said "Yes, yes! They are going to take me on as an apprentice! I leave tomorrow to join the Cypher Mages! I already let Saul know that I would have to quit since my work there will require my full attention. You... you've helped make my dreams come true and I can't thank you enough!"

When Thyra comes over and introduces herself she let's go of Nessa and smiles "Oh! Yes, I heard Saul mention there were some new hires. I'm Samaritha or you can call me Sam for short. Pleasure to meet you!" She looks to Hedran and Sarai in turn and nods to them as well.

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

"The pleasure is all mine," Sarai responds. "I am Sarai Shae, previously of Magnimar," she says.

"You worked here previously?" she asks.


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

She nods to Sarai "Yes until just a few minutes ago actually. Sorry, I didn't introduce myself before now. Saul has had me running errands forever..." She rolls her eyes in exasperation "I mean it was a solid job and I appreciated the opportunity, but now that the Cypher Mages actually accepted me, I have to go. It's the whole reason I am here."


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 3/6

Nessa was pleased with the reception and returned the hug, wrapping Sam within the embrace of her wings, before letting the half-elf go. It was a shame the girl would be leaving but she understood. She was actually happy for Sam and pleased she could make it happen. Of course that also meant that she would have little contact with her from now on.

Nessa got a glass and poured some of the wine into it then handed it to Samaritha before refilling her own and saying, "Sam has been working as one of the waitresses since she found herself down on her luck. I helped her get an apprenticeship with the mages through one of my regular patrons."

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

Sarai nods at Nessa.

"What kind of apprenticeship? Are you studying to be a mage, eventually?" she asks.

"I'm not from here...what exactly do the Cypher Mages do that's different from regular wizardry? I have recently picked up some magic, myself."


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

"Oh?" She says in surprise to Sarai's statement "A fellow practitioner?" She smiles as she continues "Yes, I've been studying magic for awhile now. My primary focus is in transmutations. As for the Cypher Mages, well... they study the Cyphergate. I'm sure you've seen the huge stone arch, straddling the entrance to Riddleport's harbor. Not a lot is known about it so many Cypher Mages study in hopes of unlocking ancient arcane powers. Of course, that isn't all they study, really any ancient history and runic lore, but that is one of their bigger focuses."


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 19/22 | AC 17 (19); TAC 12 (14); FFAC 15 (17) | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: Shield of Faith (30 rds), Divine Favor (10 rds), Sickened (10 rds.); Judgement - Protection | Deflection Aura: 1/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 2/4

After hearing Sam's story, Thyra finds herself surprised yet again by the tiefling woman. There is definitely more to Nessa than she lets on.

"That is good news, Sam. I'll admit that I don't know a lot about these Cypher Mages, but if it's something that you wish to aspire to, then that is worth celebrating." She pours herself another glass of wine and toasts with the others.

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

"Fascinating," Sarai responds. "I study evocation magic myself, though I do know a transmutation spell or two. A very practical school of magic," she adds.

"I had seen the huge stone arch, but hadn't paid much attention to it," the tiefling adds. "I would imagine it holds great riddles. Is it Thassilonian or something?"


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None
Thyra Osouf wrote:
Once more, Thyra's focus seems to drift far away as she is thinking of things of the past. "I've always admired their stubborn pride. Despite how infuriating it can be, they never back down on their ideals without good reason. It's one thing that I've tried to emulate, though I still have a long way to go, in a great many ways."

"It is always good to have a source of inspiration" - Hedran nods - "I have yet to find one though" - he adds, drinking some of the wine, and smiling at the aftertaste.

GM Dak wrote:
"Oh! Yes, I heard Saul mention there were some new hires. I'm Samaritha or you can call me Sam for short. Pleasure to meet you!" She looks to Hedran and Sarai in turn and nods to them as well.

"Well met, I am Hedran" - the half-orc offers his name, but keeps his knowledge of the Arcane to himself.

GM Dak wrote:
"Yes, I've been studying magic for awhile now. My primary focus is in transmutations. As for the Cypher Mages, well... they study the Cyphergate. I'm sure you've seen the huge stone arch, straddling the entrance to Riddleport's harbor. Not a lot is known about it so many Cypher Mages study in hopes of unlocking ancient arcane powers. Of course, that isn't all they study, really any ancient history and runic lore, but that is one of their bigger focuses."

"And are you aware if the Cypher Mages usually accept applicants?" - the magus inquires, pouring himself some more wine, and filling empty glasses if there are any.


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Sam nods to Sarai "That is the most commonly held belief. I mean many of the ancient runes in Varisia originated from the Thassilonian empire."

When Hedran inquires about the applicants Sam smiles and half chuckles to herself "Well, it's been some time since I've been in Riddleport and they only accepted me because of Nessa putting in a good word. I suppose it just depends on the circumstances." She looks to each of you with a smile, lingering on Nessa for a bit longer than anyone else as she finishes off the wine "Oh that is good stuff. Well... I suppose I should go gather my belonging and find my new master. I'm happy to get things started!"

Unless otherwise stopped Sam will stroll off, almost skipping in excitement to gather her belonging before leaving the casino.

Feel free to carry on the discussion. Just let me know when you retire for the evening so we can move on to the next day.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None

"Good luck" - Hedran raises his glass as Sam motions to leave - "Who knows? Maybe one of these days I'll ask you to put in a good word for me" - he offers a parting jest.

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

Sarai sighs and enjoys a little more of the fine wine. Her eye lids grow heavy, as she's tired and nearly ready for bed. She turns to Hedran.

"What about you, big guy? What's your story?"


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None

"There's really not that much to tell" - Hedran replies, putting down his glass for a moment, and staring at his own hands and tattoo covered arms - "I am from Nirmathas"

He chuckles - "Or well... My adoptive parents were from there anyway. As they recount, my own family was from further North, from Belkzen" - he explains - "I was found after a particularly bloody raid was decimated - it would seem my blood parents were part of it"

With a few simple gestures and an incantation, his eyes momentarily flash with magic - "No one ever really managed to explain to me what the tattoos mean, or why it is I have this... Knack for the Arcane"

Detect Magic. Nothing fancy :)

"That's about it I guess, with a few more tidbits here and there" - he picks up his glass again, and takes another sip - "I'«m sure your own story is much more interesting" - he smiles at Sarai.

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

Sarai smiles, tired but glad to get to know her fellow employees better. This had been the first time she had actually enjoyed being in Riddleport.

"Oh, I was born into a minor noble family, but married an immensely wealthy, much older noble with a merchant empire and a taste for exotic-looking women. He was always kind to me, but living as an aristocrat in Magnamar, I found myself discontent and always searching for something more. No matter the wealth and opulence we had, it wasn't enough. I got bored. The parties and balls weren't enough...I started--pilfering--just as a way to keep myself engaged."

She sighs.

"I was apprehended breaking into a mausoleum. Well, exiting with the valuables. My husband died during my trial. The authorities held me responsible not only for the thefts I had committed, but for many unsolved cases. In exchange for my freedom, the court confiscated the immense riches I would have inherited from my husband, and I was left destitute."

She finishes off her glass.

"Now, I'm here," she laments.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None

"Starting from scratch is not always bad Sarai" - Hedran nods - "At least you get another chance at it" - he adds, surprised with the tiefling's honesty - "Who knows? Maybe now you can build your own fortune"


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 19/22 | AC 17 (19); TAC 12 (14); FFAC 15 (17) | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: Shield of Faith (30 rds), Divine Favor (10 rds), Sickened (10 rds.); Judgement - Protection | Deflection Aura: 1/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 2/4
GM Dak wrote:
"Oh that is good stuff. Well... I suppose I should go gather my belonging and find my new master. I'm happy to get things started!"

"I wish you well in your endeavors, Sam,"says Thyra honestly to the young mage as she walks away, Nessa keeping her from running too far.

She quietly listens to her new companions tell their own stories, not wanting to interrupt with silly comments. Once Sarai finishes with her piece, Thyra chimes in, "I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Sarai. Truly. I can't claim anything so grand, but I would know great sorrow if those close to me were suddenly whisked away before their time. Perhaps, though, this is a gift, however unseemly, for you to pursue something nearer to your heart than such things as you have lost."

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

All this sentimental talk brings Sarai to her feet.

I have shared too much! This wine...got to me. I hardly know these people, and I have let my guard down!

"Well, enough sob stories for the night. I'm going to bed," she says as she slinks off in a drowsy stupor toward her room.


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 3/6

With Samaritha stating her need to leave Nessa quickly set down her wine glass and rose. She looked at the others and said, "I need to go, I don't stay here at night so I'll see you in the morning." She paused and then continued, "Or you can catch me at the House of the Silken Veil in the morning."

Nessa turned to Sam and said, "Since we all said we wouldn't go anywhere alone with all that's happened why don't you walk me back to the temple Sam." She looked back at her employees and said, "I'll lock up on my way out." With that she headed towards the door with Samaritha and could be heard as she left earshot, "Now, when we reach the temple why don't we cel..."

Samaritha:
As they stepped out of the Casino Nessa paused and locked the door before turning back to her friend and saying, "Now, when we reach the temple why don't we celebrate." She extended one wing to wrap around Sam's shoulder and said, "I have a private room there and we won't be bothered," she gave the half-elf a side long look and her tone was quite suggestive, "unless you want to be."


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 19/22 | AC 17 (19); TAC 12 (14); FFAC 15 (17) | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: Shield of Faith (30 rds), Divine Favor (10 rds), Sickened (10 rds.); Judgement - Protection | Deflection Aura: 1/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 2/4

Thyra starts at Sarai's abrupt departure then looks at Hedran questioningly. "Was it something we said?" She quickly dismisses it though, not wanting to stick her nose where it doesn't belong. Some people battle demons in their own time.

She makes her way to her feet, finishing her wine in a single swallow. "This stuff tastes good, but don' go down as easy as the temple mead." A little bit of dwarven brogue can be heard slipping through as the alcohol starts to find a foothold. "Should be gettin' ta bed, meself. Gots to make an early start t' the forge in th' morning. Shall I call on ye ta join me?"

Regardless of the answer she receives, she nods her head then slowly makes her way back to her room, stumbling occasionally along the way.

Probably a good time to be moving things along. We'll have more opportunities to get to know each other as things progress. :)


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Nessa:
As you you mentioned celebrating Sam perks up a bit, then as you wrap a wing around her and mention a private room she giggles sheepishly "Uhm...I mean... I wouldn't want to impose or anything, and I do, uhm... have to get up early for meeting with the Cypher Mages..." she trails off blushing a bit. It's pretty apparent she is trying to come up with reasons not to take you up on your offer. You're just not certain if it's because she really isn't interested or maybe she is but she doesn't want to admit it.


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

GM:
1d10 ⇒ 2

Since the rest are headed off to bed and Nessa's spoilers can happen independently I'll move us on. Nessa feel free to play out the spoilers while also continuing with the below.

Thyra:
Heading off to bed you pass out pretty quickly once your head hits the pillow. However, it isn't a very restful night as you begin to have a strange dream.

You open your eyes as and turn over as bright morning light filters in from a window, blurring your already tired vision. You smell meat cooking and hear voices from the room. As you rub the sun out of your eyes the world is so much larger than what you are used to now, almost as if you have shrunk in size. You hear a voice calling, muffled, from the other room. It is a woman's voice a familiar one, but one you haven't heard in a long time. "Thyra honey, breakfast is almost ready, don't you think you've gotten enough sleep?" You hear footsteps and the door begins to creak open. As it does, there is a flash of light and suddenly you are somewhere else.

It is a rainy day and you're starring out the window standing on your tip-toes barely able to look out, you feel like you are waiting for someone. It is quiet and all you hear is the rain beating against the roof. It is soothing, but then a bolt of lightening flashes outside and you see a cloaked figure approaching, your heart quickens unsure of who it might be, the storm raging outside. Suddenly the door flys open and the cloaked figure stands there, water dripping to the floor. They speak "Thyra don't just stand there come give your papa a hug!" Again the voice is familiar, a mans voice this time, but one that seems so distant to you. Papa? Relief washes over you and you run, what seems a long distance, to embrace the man. As you look up with a smile to see their face things go dark.

When your sight returns it is a gloomy day, you feel overwhelmingly sad as you sit on your bed, your legs kicking nervously. You're wearing a black dress and you hear voices outside. One says "I cannea believe what 'appened. Do ye think th' rumors are true? These things comin' from deep in th' tunnels?" Another voice says "Aye! With what's 'appened it must be true." Finally, another voice chimes in, this one you know. It is your mentor's voice, the one who took you in and saw to your teachings in the way of Torag. "It dosnea matter either way. We 'ave a responsibility t' young Thyra now that she 'as no one else. We will raise 'er as one of our own." There are some brief complaints from the other voices until you hear a loud thud, as if someone stomped their foot and your mentor speaks again "That be final! No point in discussin' it. We owe 'er parent's that much..."

You start to hear thumping, then more thumping and it continues until the sound is almost unbearable. Suddenly you wake up sweating, the light is filtering in through the heavy curtains on the windows. It seems as though you were the last to wake. You look around and you see your communal room at the Gold Goblin and everything seems to be back to the normal size. However, before you have any time to process your dreams, you realize the thumping is still there and it is coming from the ceiling.

Most of you get a good nights sleep. When morning comes you wake up, but find Thyra still fast asleep. Leaving her to her sleep you head off to scrounge up some breakfast. All of a sudden you hear this thumping noise coming from overheard; once, twice, then it becomes more rapid and persistent as if something is hitting the roof outside. Looking out the nearest window you see tiny falling objects clattering on the roofs and streets of the city from a clear sky. At first assumed to be hail,
closer examination reveals it to be tiny pieces of porous black rock -looking almost volcanic in nature but defying all identification. This initial storm does no noticeable damage, but after 2 minutes, the rocks increase in size and begin cracking shingles, ripping awnings, and pelting anyone who remains outside. The bronze dome of the Gold Goblin rings like a bell during the onslaught. This larger hail of stones lasts for only about 12 seconds. When all is said and done, there are several people injured or worse and hundreds of gold pieces of damage to property and ships. The stones themselves remain for a few more minutes, covering the ground before they suddenly evaporate into nothingness.


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 3/6

Sam:
Nessa couldn't help but be amused at the woman's reticence, she also couldn't conceive of anyone not be interested in her like that, so she decided that the woman was simply shy and embarrassed to admit her interest. Sam wouldn't the the first one nor the last and Nessa was going to get her chance before they wouldn't see each other again. Her smile was coy as she said, "All work and no play will make Sam a dull girl."

Nessa kept the wing around her friend as they walked and said, "You need to learn to relax a little or you won't last long. Get too focused, too tightly wound, and you'll snap." She added a bit of sympathy to her tone, "But I understand the need to focus as well, I know not everyone can manage to keep the hours I do." She let one hand brush gently along the half-elf's hip as she said, "Spend just a couple of hours with me having fun, after that you can sleep and we'll make sure you are up and rested enough in time that you make it to your first day as an apprentice on time."


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None
Thyra Osouf wrote:
She makes her way to her feet, finishing her wine in a single swallow. "This stuff tastes good, but don' go down as easy as the temple mead." A little bit of dwarven brogue can be heard slipping through as the alcohol starts to find a foothold. "Should be gettin' ta bed, meself. Gots to make an early start t' the forge in th' morning. Shall I call on ye ta join me?"

"Yeah, meet you in the morrow" - Hedran bids good night to Thyra, welcoming the chance to remain alone with his thoughts for a few moments

-----

-- In the morning --

Once the hail stops, Hedran dons his armor and moves outside to take a look at the damage, and trying to recover at least one of the stones.

Until he realizes they simply evaporate... And returns to the Gold Goblin.

How is the sky GM Dak? Has Hedran ever heard of any such incidents?


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Nessa:
Sam only blushes further but you feel the tension ease a bit in her shoulders as you mention wisdom for the potential of her snapping "I uh... I suppose you're right." She follows you back to your room, very apparently anxious, but also excited. As you close the door behind both of you, she says "You'll be sure I am rested enough for my big day tomorrow?" she laughs nervously. As things begin to progress and it becomes apparent where the night is headed she looks you squarely in the eyes as she takes a deep breath and grabs your hands tightly [b]"I am... new to this... I hope you don't mind."

Feel free to continue on, but we'll 'fade to black' when things start to get intimate.

After the extremely bizarre episode Hedran heads outside attempting to collect one of the stones. He feels it, noting it feels like granite, but it is extremely light weight. Looking up at the sky, it is a beautiful, clear sky except for the Blot, the strange shadow floating over Riddleport.

I think this is the first time the Blot was specifically mentioned to the new players if I'm not mistaken. Obviously, you would have seen it before and heard people talking about it as 'the Blot'. It really stands out so it isn't something you would have missed, but feel free to do further inquiry into it moving forward. In fact, I don't recall the previous group really looking into it much but you can if you think it would spark your characters interest in-game.


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 19/22 | AC 17 (19); TAC 12 (14); FFAC 15 (17) | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: Shield of Faith (30 rds), Divine Favor (10 rds), Sickened (10 rds.); Judgement - Protection | Deflection Aura: 1/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 2/4

Thyra sits up in bed, sweat beading down her face, her breathing coming quickly. What in Torag's name was that? I don't.... She suddenly registers the sounds coming from the roof and whips open the curtains to look outside at the strange event going on. She watches out the window for a full minute, taking in the scene before she gets up and dresses herself, washing the sweat from her face in the wash basin. By the time she leaves her room, the "storm" is long over. When she sees the others looking as shocked as she feels, she wanders over, "We should see if anyone needs our help. There's no sense huddling in here."

When she steps outside, she stares at the Blot, the main reason that she came to this city. Is this what's causing these strange events? Did it cause me to dream of... Papa?" She tries to recall any bit of information she can think of that may provide the answer.

Knowledge (Planes): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

"Torag guide me, she says under her breath, sending up a little prayer before heading into the city to help where needed.

@GM Dak:
That was a fantastic write-up. Absolutely enjoyed reading it. Looking forward to more. For now, Thyra is just trying to process what she saw.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None
GM Dak wrote:
I think this is the first time the Blot was specifically mentioned to the new players if I'm not mistaken. Obviously, you would have seen it before and heard people talking about it as 'the Blot'. It really stands out so it isn't something you would have missed, but feel free to do further inquiry into it moving forward. In fact, I don't recall the previous group really looking into it much but you can if you think it would spark your characters interest in-game.

Actually I intended to play Hedran as being aware of it, and actually interested in studying it further, since he is focused on the Arcane Arts. But the opportunity had not come up yet - here it is now :D

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

"What the--!" Sarai says with a start as, what initially seems like hail, turns out to be something far worse.

She stands in the open doorway and watches.

"Is there a volcano around here or something?"

Not knowing much about natural causes of this near-cataclysm, she carefully ventures out and picks up a rock that falls nearby.

Picking it up, she casts detect magic on it and concentrates.

knowledge arcana: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Trying to see if there's anything I can learn with 3 rounds of concentration.


HR | MM | RotRL1 | RotRL2 | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Looking up at the Blot Thyra racks her mind for anything she may have heard of or studied that would be similar, but nothing comes to mind. Either it has no religios or planular relations or it just isn't something she has heard of before.

When Sarai attempts to examine the rock for magic, it is indeed magical, but as she focuses on what kind of magic it fades away into nothingness, just leaving more questions in its wake.

551 to 600 of 1,453 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Under a Second Darkness All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.