GM Dak - Second Darkness

Game Master Dakcenturi

Chapter 1: Shadow in the Sky
Part 4: Under the Gold Goblin

Pics / Maps / Loot & Notes

Starting Day: Moonday, 1st of Calistril, 4709
Current Day: Toilday, 23nd of Calistril, 4709


301 to 350 of 1,389 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

Samaritha's eyes light up at Elek's offer. "Oh, please? I'd love that! I found a few spots on the Gate when I looked at it last that I could show you."

@Nessa You remember two Cyphermages that stood out to you. Lady Mermeyi Dumitru was a middle-aged enchanter who was quite "orally skilled" Ser Nicusor Milotti was a handsome older transmuter whose arcane training was matched by his physical training.


Duergar Unchained Monk 2 | HP: 21/21 | AC: 16 T:16 F:10 CMD:17 AC: 19 T:18 F:11 CMD:19 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +3 (+2 vs spells) | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, S.M. +7 | Speed 20ft
Elek Kardforgató wrote:
'Now let's see what I can do to help get her out of whatever 'deal with the devil' she made.' Turning from Nessa to Samaritha, he smiles and asks. "Samaritha, since we have a little time off, would you like to go tour The Cyphergate? I've never visited it with someone who may actually be able to read the Thassilonian writings on it."
DM Gee-Em wrote:
Samaritha's eyes light up at Elek's offer. "Oh, please? I'd love that! I found a few spots on the Gate when I looked at it last that I could show you."

"You can read that stuff? I always thought they were just decorative pictograms. What's the big deal with the Cyphergate anyway? Isn't it just a big arch?"


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 4/6

After a moments thought Nessa said, "I do know a couple of the Cypher Mages Elek, I can speak to them the next time they come to the temple." She smiled in rememberance of pleasures past and said, "They're both...talented in their way. I'll enjoy seeing them again I'm sure."


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

"Thank you Nessa." Samaritha curtsied to the tiefling before turning to Khavakra. "The Cyphergate is an artifact dating back to the days of the Runelords, ancient warlords and archmages that harnessed powerful magic. The runes, pictures, and symbols on it are difficult to decipher, true, but not impossible. The Cyphermages are making headway, but the magic involved is beyond anything anyone of this age has experienced. It is a process. Would you like to come with us? I could share more."

Those who accompany Elek and Samaritha the morning of the next day learn from the young wizard that the Cyphergate has a significant transmutation aura. This has led to the theory that the Runelord of Greed - Karzoug - is possibly responsible or at least associated with the Gate's origins. This aura pulses erratically, mostly faint but will occasionally intensify to overwhelming for a few seconds.

Anyone who went on Samaritha's tour please roll Perception.

Anyone who didn't go:
I'll have something for you to react to to coincide with this.


Male half-elf Slayer 2|HP 20 |AC 16/T 12/FF 14 | F+5/R+5/W+1 | CMB + 6 | CMD 18 |init + 2 | Perc + 9 | disable device + 9/+ 11

The following morning, Elek, goes with Samaritha to the cyphergate. He had never showed much interest in it as a youth, and wasn't too particularly interested in it now. But Samaritha seemed like she needed an excuse to be busy, so being a nice guy, he took the morning of his day off to accompany her. Nodding and pointing, he tried to pay attention.

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29


Duergar Unchained Monk 2 | HP: 21/21 | AC: 16 T:16 F:10 CMD:17 AC: 19 T:18 F:11 CMD:19 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +3 (+2 vs spells) | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, S.M. +7 | Speed 20ft

Khavakra is curious, never having considered the Cyphergate before as anything but an ordinary (if large) monument.

"So it's magic? It just looks like a stone arch. What does the magic do? Looks like ships sail under it just fine..."

Perception (which is not likely to beat Elek!): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 4/6

At Samaritha's thanks Nessa preened just a little as she knew that had gotten her a bit closer to one of her current goals. She couldn't help but watch the curtsy and then respond, "There are so many more pleasurable things you could do to show your thanks Pretty." She turned to head out of the place to return to the temple, "But we'll get to those in time I'm sure." With that she headed towards the door out of the Goblin and made her way to the temple to perform her daily devotions.


Male Half-Orc | LN Fighter(Armiger)| Speed 30 | Initiative+2 | Perception+11 | Diplomacy+1 | Sense Motive+1 | Ardent[1/1] | Armor Training, Weapon Training (Spears) | AC: 19 (Tch 12, FF 17, Armor+6, Dex+2, NA+1) | Fort+9, Reflex+4, Will+3 | CMD: 22 (BAB+5, Str+5, Dex+2) | Hp: 67 [67/67] [10+4d10 (27)+Con (20)+FC (5)+Toughness (5)] | Melee +13 Longspear 1d8+11, +11 Shortspear 1d6+6, Ranged +7 Light Crossbow 1d8 | CMB: +8

Chalkou will go along with the others. You never know, might learn something interesting.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

Elek and Chalkou:
You two see within the Gate a slight shimmer then a mirage-like image of thousands of wings flapping in a mass of feathers. It lasts only for a moment.

As Samaritha pauses her info-dumping by asking, "Are there any questions?" the sky is filled with the caucus cries of seagulls. Looking up three of you see - Nessa, you hear this if you are indoors - hundreds of gulls flying into a huge mass over the city, dimming the light of the late morning sun.

The swarming flock suddenly surges into the Cyphergate flying headfirst into the ancient structure. The sickening crunches and bloodcurdling screams continued for almost a minute before the few dozen surviving seagulls continued their ragged flight out to sea. The corpses of those that ended their flight early fell into the ocean and around the parts of the city at the base of the arch.

Nessa:
After your morning devotions, you are greeted by the Lady Mermeyi Dumitru with a mortified look on her face. "I need to unwind, my dear. I've had the worst morning."


Male half-elf Slayer 2|HP 20 |AC 16/T 12/FF 14 | F+5/R+5/W+1 | CMB + 6 | CMD 18 |init + 2 | Perc + 9 | disable device + 9/+ 11

'What is that shimmering?' When Samaritha asks if there are any question, Elek nods his head and gestures toward the Gate, I saw a slight shimmer then a mirage-like image of thousands of wings flapping in a mass of feathers, what could it possibly …"

As the seagulls began to swarm, Elek looks up to the sky, mid sentence. when they begin to fly into the gate, he whispers, "Well this can't end well."

so trying to get the mental image right, are they trying to fly through the gate and dying from some unseen force or are the just terrible fliers and running into the walls of the gate?


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

They are currently flying directly into the walls of the gate, even adjusting their course to do so, like metal towards a magnet.


Male Half-Orc | LN Fighter(Armiger)| Speed 30 | Initiative+2 | Perception+11 | Diplomacy+1 | Sense Motive+1 | Ardent[1/1] | Armor Training, Weapon Training (Spears) | AC: 19 (Tch 12, FF 17, Armor+6, Dex+2, NA+1) | Fort+9, Reflex+4, Will+3 | CMD: 22 (BAB+5, Str+5, Dex+2) | Hp: 67 [67/67] [10+4d10 (27)+Con (20)+FC (5)+Toughness (5)] | Melee +13 Longspear 1d8+11, +11 Shortspear 1d6+6, Ranged +7 Light Crossbow 1d8 | CMB: +8

How close to the gate are we? Close enough to pick one up and examine it?


Duergar Unchained Monk 2 | HP: 21/21 | AC: 16 T:16 F:10 CMD:17 AC: 19 T:18 F:11 CMD:19 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +3 (+2 vs spells) | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, S.M. +7 | Speed 20ft

"Uh... birds don't normally do that, do they? Don't get many birds underground."


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

@Chalkou You are close enough to do this.


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 4/6

At the Temple:
Nessa was pleased at the coincidence of running into Lady Dumitru the next morning. The fact that the Lady came to her was even better. She gave the woman a sympathetic smile and asked, "Do you want to have our fun out here, for all to see, or would your prefer somewhere more private luv?"


Male half-elf Slayer 2|HP 20 |AC 16/T 12/FF 14 | F+5/R+5/W+1 | CMB + 6 | CMD 18 |init + 2 | Perc + 9 | disable device + 9/+ 11

Elek watches as the birds crash into the gate, "You don't see that everyday, do you. I wonder why they would do that." He looks to Samaritha questioningly.

I was going to roll a knowledge check, but he has: dungeoneering, engineering, geography, history and Local. If you think any of those would help, let me know and I will roll.


Male Half-Orc | LN Fighter(Armiger)| Speed 30 | Initiative+2 | Perception+11 | Diplomacy+1 | Sense Motive+1 | Ardent[1/1] | Armor Training, Weapon Training (Spears) | AC: 19 (Tch 12, FF 17, Armor+6, Dex+2, NA+1) | Fort+9, Reflex+4, Will+3 | CMD: 22 (BAB+5, Str+5, Dex+2) | Hp: 67 [67/67] [10+4d10 (27)+Con (20)+FC (5)+Toughness (5)] | Melee +13 Longspear 1d8+11, +11 Shortspear 1d6+6, Ranged +7 Light Crossbow 1d8 | CMB: +8

Chalkou walks over and picks up the nearest bird corpse, examining it closely, including sniffing it.

I’ll Take 20 on Perception for a 28. Anything odd about it that I can detect?


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

Chalkou, you do not sense anything off. Were it not for the unnatural sight, there seems to be nothing physically wrong with the birds.

Elek, you could roll History or Local. Those would inform you of either past occurrences like this or who would know more.

Samaritha shudders as one gull twitches in its last moments of death at her feet. "No, birds do not normally behave like that." She turns to Elek. "You said you saw something in the Arch? Just before this occured?"

At the Temple:
Lady Dumitru groans and smoothly slides Nessa back into her room, using her foot to hook and shut the door behind you. She brings your talented fingers to the laces of her dress as she mutters into neck: "Grr, we'll talk later. I need this right now. Damned birds, I hate birds. Mmph."

And fade to black ... and next scene.

As you lay in a sweaty tangle, Mermeyi sighs contentedly. "Thank you, dearie. Remind me to add 20% to your pay before I escape."

She rests on one side, propping herself on one arm. "Damn gulls. First they don't shut up, then they go berserk and crash into the Cyphergate like it was a magnet! Gods, the little corpses will stink up the harbor for days! If it weren't for our little get-togethers I'd go nuts! What I wouldn't give for an assistant these days."


Male half-elf Slayer 2|HP 20 |AC 16/T 12/FF 14 | F+5/R+5/W+1 | CMB + 6 | CMD 18 |init + 2 | Perc + 9 | disable device + 9/+ 11

'I wonder if this has ever happened before?' Looking from Chalkou as hw walks over and picks up a bird sniffing it to Samaritha, as she asks her question. He shrugs. "I saw a slight shimmer then a mirage-like image of thousands of wings flapping in a mass of feathers." Nodding at the bloody mess, "Kind of like what just happened." His eyes widen, "Is that Normal?"

knowledge: History: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
knowledge: local: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


Male Half-Orc | LN Fighter(Armiger)| Speed 30 | Initiative+2 | Perception+11 | Diplomacy+1 | Sense Motive+1 | Ardent[1/1] | Armor Training, Weapon Training (Spears) | AC: 19 (Tch 12, FF 17, Armor+6, Dex+2, NA+1) | Fort+9, Reflex+4, Will+3 | CMD: 22 (BAB+5, Str+5, Dex+2) | Hp: 67 [67/67] [10+4d10 (27)+Con (20)+FC (5)+Toughness (5)] | Melee +13 Longspear 1d8+11, +11 Shortspear 1d6+6, Ranged +7 Light Crossbow 1d8 | CMB: +8

”I saw the same.” the catfolk says, before putting some birds into his pack. ”At any rate, there seems to be nothing at all wrong with them. They don’t appear to be diseased or anything like that. No use turning down a bounty that nature provides.” When they return, he’ll see the Goblin’s kitchen staff about the best way to cook gulls.


Duergar Unchained Monk 2 | HP: 21/21 | AC: 16 T:16 F:10 CMD:17 AC: 19 T:18 F:11 CMD:19 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +3 (+2 vs spells) | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, S.M. +7 | Speed 20ft

"Perhaps it was some kind of mental command?" Khavakra muses.

"It seems strange to build something like this just to have it kill a bunch of birds. Though this is a fishing town; I bet the fish are having a party right now below the waves."


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 4/6

At the Temple:
Nessa was very pleased after entertaining the Lady who came to her for some stress relief and, though the mention of birds was odd, she had long since forgotten it by the time they were done. Her arms and wings were still wrapped around her lover as they lay there and she pressed against the woman's side, making a mental note of reminding her of the extra pay.

As Mermeyi mentioned needing an assistant Nessa knew that her chance had arrived. She murmured quietly, "I might know just the person for you Mermeyi, a young woman who came here to be a Cypher Mage like you but hasn't been able to attain an apprenticeship yet." She let her tail slide up to start doing interesting things between the Lady's legs as she asked, "Would you like to meet her?"


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

Elek:
You do not recall anything like this happening before, but if it has, the full-fledged Cyphermages and their library would be the ones to see about past "activities".

Samaritha hummed to herself. "A vision? Perhaps a premonition? If so, how far in advance can it predict?" She sounds excited, but then sighs. "Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have the chance to properly study this marvel unless I can become an apprentice to the Cyphermages."

As noon rolls around, the smell from the dead birds begins to ripen and the south-western half of the city is rank with the smell of salted decay. Fortunately, the Gold Goblin is just out of range and starts to burn scented incense within to encourage patrons. Other locations with enough funds begin to do the same, and postings offer compensation for disposing of the bird bodies. A silver for every 10 birds collected and disposed of. An hour of this will garner 10 gp, but you must roll three Fort saves to avoid becoming nauseated for 24 hours. All three must succeed a DC 17, one failure in a set of three will result in nausea.

At the Temple:
"If she is half as talented at magic as you are at pleasure I'd love to." Mermeyi purred, nestling closer. "I'd prefer someone with at least some experience. It'll prove they're capable."

She gives you her own address and two different times, one for meeting Samaritha and the other for an encore of this morning's performance.


Duergar Unchained Monk 2 | HP: 21/21 | AC: 16 T:16 F:10 CMD:17 AC: 19 T:18 F:11 CMD:19 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +3 (+2 vs spells) | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, S.M. +7 | Speed 20ft

"They're offering a bounty on dead birds. I guess the local merchants don't like the stink. But the rats should take care of the problem in a day or two... I bet we'll have a bounty on rats after that. Ha!"

Khavakra shakes her head and returns to the Gold Goblin.

Nope not interested in picking up roadkill.


Male Half-Orc | LN Fighter(Armiger)| Speed 30 | Initiative+2 | Perception+11 | Diplomacy+1 | Sense Motive+1 | Ardent[1/1] | Armor Training, Weapon Training (Spears) | AC: 19 (Tch 12, FF 17, Armor+6, Dex+2, NA+1) | Fort+9, Reflex+4, Will+3 | CMD: 22 (BAB+5, Str+5, Dex+2) | Hp: 67 [67/67] [10+4d10 (27)+Con (20)+FC (5)+Toughness (5)] | Melee +13 Longspear 1d8+11, +11 Shortspear 1d6+6, Ranged +7 Light Crossbow 1d8 | CMB: +8

"I don't mind putting a few in a stew, but I don't care to spend hours picking up half-rotted corpses. I am surprised there aren't more of the poor out collecting them for food though. Where I come from, you don't turn down such a free bounty."


Male half-elf Slayer 2|HP 20 |AC 16/T 12/FF 14 | F+5/R+5/W+1 | CMB + 6 | CMD 18 |init + 2 | Perc + 9 | disable device + 9/+ 11

at the gate
'Hmmm, I think we will need to talk to a cyphermage.' Turning to Samaratha, "A premonition? Maybe, it happened immediately after I saw the vision." He smiles at the girl, "What we need to do, is get you apprenticed to a Cyphermage, they have a library and everything. Then you could sort it all out." He frowns slightly, as they begin to head back to the 'Golden Goblin.' asking, "Do you think Nessa will help you?"

back home
'I'm glad they don't want to do that, I'm really not interested either.' Nodding in agreement Khavakra and Chalkou, "I really would rather not collect dead sea gulls." Smiling at Chalkou's observation about collecting them as food, Elek explains, "I've heard from a few shipwrecked sailors that sea gull doesn't taste very good. But I would think the poor would be interested in getting the money."


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 4/6

At the Temple:
Nessa listened to the Lady's address and nodded in agreement before saying, "I'm not sure how much experience or training she already has, I didn't think to ask her, I will let her know you'll speak to her when I see her next." She let the woman snuggle in closer, tightening the circle of her wings until Mermeyi was ready to leave. She smiled languidly at her client and then said, "Don't forget, you said to remind you to add 20% to my pay luv."


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

I didn't think anyone would go for that :P It made sense in-universe so I posted it.

Nessa:
What is the going rate for a Calistrian Abbess' services? I am a devotee of Asmodeus and so unfamiliar with the Savored String's policies and inner workings.

The remainder of the weekend is rank with the stink of rotting sea birds, but afterwards the masses managed to clear out a great deal of the corpses and several of the "lords" of Riddleport pooled resources to pay for the community service.

A few days into the work week, you suddenly hear a commotion as Larur Feldin with Hans and Beyar start chasing after a lanky Varisian man with mixed-and-matched clothing more patches than original clothing out of the Gold Goblin. He manages to dodge his pursuers and leaps wide of Khavakra on his way out, flashing the woman a smile as he exits.

Larur almost roars in frustration as the man disappears into the crowds outside. Sighing, he looks to Khavakra and coughs nervously.

"Sorry 'bout that, ma'am." The dwarf mumbles. "That was a cheat by the name Beltias Kreun. I was going to give him the thrashing he deserved but..." He thinks for a moment. "Could you do me a rather hefty favor? It'll look bad if that crook got away with this. If you and your cohorts can find him and recover the chips he stole I'd be indebted to you."


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 4/6

Gm:
Too tired to post much just now but in the interest of expediency would a Profession (Calistrian Abbess) check work as a base for you and odify it as you see fit?
Profession (Calistrian Abbess): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20


Duergar Unchained Monk 2 | HP: 21/21 | AC: 16 T:16 F:10 CMD:17 AC: 19 T:18 F:11 CMD:19 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +3 (+2 vs spells) | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, S.M. +7 | Speed 20ft
DM Gee-Em wrote:
"Sorry 'bout that, ma'am." The dwarf mumbles. "That was a cheat by the name Beltias Kreun. I was going to give him the thrashing he deserved but..." He thinks for a moment. "Could you do me a rather hefty favor? It'll look bad if that crook got away with this. If you and your cohorts can find him and recover the chips he stole I'd be indebted to you."

"Right. If you don't mind being a bit short-handed for a while..." Khavakra looks around. "You know where the Kreun spends his time?"


Male half-elf Slayer 2|HP 20 |AC 16/T 12/FF 14 | F+5/R+5/W+1 | CMB + 6 | CMD 18 |init + 2 | Perc + 9 | disable device + 9/+ 11

'Kreun, do I know where Kreun hangs out.'Hearing the conversation, and hoping for a little excitement, Elek nudges Khavakra, "Hey khavakra, do you mind if I go along? Tonight's been kind of boring."

Has Elek heard of Kreun or know anything about him?
knowledge: local: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

Nessa:
You made 75 gp from that visit.

Elek:
You have heard that Beltias Kreun is known as a crime boss called the Splithog Pauper, known for his center of operations in Splithog Alley buried deep in Rotgut District of Riddleport (southeastern part). Despite a ruthless and efficient reputation, he is small change compared to the crime lords such as Zincher and Pamodae. However, he currently poses more of a threat to them than Vancaskerkin.

"I can handle things around here for a couple of days. If it should take you longer than that it won't be worth it anymore." Larur scratches his head. "I've heard he's been seen running a lot of pickpocket and mugging jobs in Splithog Alley, and I've heard he's got a cohort in St Caspierian's Mission. I'd start with those two places. I'll make sure Saul knows what you're up to, so you'll still be paid for this little job. And like I said, on the third morning if you haven't found him then forget it, we'll just catch him next time."


Male half-elf Slayer 2|HP 20 |AC 16/T 12/FF 14 | F+5/R+5/W+1 | CMB + 6 | CMD 18 |init + 2 | Perc + 9 | disable device + 9/+ 11

Leaning near Khavakra, Elek whispers, "Larur is right, he a crime boss called the Splithog Pauper, known for his center of operations in Splithog Alley buried deep in Rotgut District of Riddleport, he's small change but Zincher and Pamodae would be more worried about him than Vancaskerkin."

He nods towards the door, looking at Chalkou . "Is it just the three of us, or do we wait for Nessa?"


Male Half-Orc | LN Fighter(Armiger)| Speed 30 | Initiative+2 | Perception+11 | Diplomacy+1 | Sense Motive+1 | Ardent[1/1] | Armor Training, Weapon Training (Spears) | AC: 19 (Tch 12, FF 17, Armor+6, Dex+2, NA+1) | Fort+9, Reflex+4, Will+3 | CMD: 22 (BAB+5, Str+5, Dex+2) | Hp: 67 [67/67] [10+4d10 (27)+Con (20)+FC (5)+Toughness (5)] | Melee +13 Longspear 1d8+11, +11 Shortspear 1d6+6, Ranged +7 Light Crossbow 1d8 | CMB: +8

”I’m in, but who knows about Nessa? No offense, but I’ve never found Calistrians predictable or all that reliable. Well, you can rely on them to follow their god’s tenets and act in their own interests, but you know what I mean.” The catfolk shrugs.


Duergar Unchained Monk 2 | HP: 21/21 | AC: 16 T:16 F:10 CMD:17 AC: 19 T:18 F:11 CMD:19 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +3 (+2 vs spells) | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, S.M. +7 | Speed 20ft

"Is she not around? Well... we can leave a message for her and perhaps she can catch up. Besides, Larur seemed to think it might take more than a day to track this guy down, and I'm sure we'll run into her by then. Let's get going."


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 4/6

Nessa finally arrived as the others were speaking of tracking down the thief and and came flouncing in. She flirted with people on the way and accepted the occasional grope from a customer as she made her way to the others. When she reached them she asked in a teasing voice, "Why so serious?"


Male half-elf Slayer 2|HP 20 |AC 16/T 12/FF 14 | F+5/R+5/W+1 | CMB + 6 | CMD 18 |init + 2 | Perc + 9 | disable device + 9/+ 11

Nodding toward the exit, Elek replies, "We got cheated by a man called Beltias Kreun, a crime boss called the Splithog Pauper, known for his center of operations in Splithog Alley buried deep in Rotgut District of Riddleport. Were about to go after him. We were hoping you would want to come along."

Hefting his 'walking stick' he heads out the door intent on going to the 'rotgut district.'


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

The smell of the Rotgut District is still foul, but all but Nessa have smelled this filthy side of town before when you delivered Saul's missive to Jagory the Murmur in the Fly Nest. The reek is stronger than before as the smell of rotting sea bird remains here, adding to the "aroma".

You actually pass the Fly Nest as you near Splithog Alley. At the far end of the Alley stands the half-broken steeple of St Caspierian's, visible between the seedy tavern and the building that serves as the Alley's left side.

A cripple sits just inside the Alley resting against a wall on your right as you peer down the wide Alley. Dirt covers his face and one eye drifts off as the other locks eye contact with you. Coughing into a filthy scarf he holds out a bandaged hand.

"Oh, most noble sers an' ma'ams, haff sum mercy 'pon de poor?"

GM Screen:
Disguise Kit: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3


Male half-elf Slayer 2|HP 20 |AC 16/T 12/FF 14 | F+5/R+5/W+1 | CMB + 6 | CMD 18 |init + 2 | Perc + 9 | disable device + 9/+ 11

sense motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15 I was hoping to get a little lucky, probably wouldn't have hurt to take skills in sense motive.
knowledge local: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24 How many beggers are part of organized crime? How many does the 'Splithog Pauper' use?

'Hmmm, I wonder who he works for.' Kneeling in front of the beggar Elek knods, "I don't know about the noble part, but mercy comes in many ways. What exactly are you looking for?"

probably should throw in a perception check as well,
perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
Wow, that's pathetic


Duergar Unchained Monk 2 | HP: 21/21 | AC: 16 T:16 F:10 CMD:17 AC: 19 T:18 F:11 CMD:19 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +3 (+2 vs spells) | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, S.M. +7 | Speed 20ft

Khavakra eyes the beggar, wondering if he is some kind of lookout.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

Elek:
You know the gang has at least a dozen known associates - either thieves or higher ranking members of the Pauper's Hands (the name of the gang).

Khavakra:
You recognize Beltias beneath the smeared dirt. You believe he rushed his disguise in hopes of hiding in plain sight rather than running to his hideout.

As the beggar's eye locks with Khavakra, both eyes snap forward and widen as both of you recognize each other. Swearing, he takes a stone from his clothing and hurls it at Khavakra's feet before bolting down the fifteen foot wide Alley.

I need you four to roll a DC 15 Fort save to avoid being deafened for one hour.


Male half-elf Slayer 2|HP 20 |AC 16/T 12/FF 14 | F+5/R+5/W+1 | CMB + 6 | CMD 18 |init + 2 | Perc + 9 | disable device + 9/+ 11

so he draws an item and throws, gets up and starts to run, a standard and two move actions?

'Their called the Pauper's Hands for a ...'"Blast" seeing the 'beggar' move, Elek chokes up on his 'walking stick.'

fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master
Elek Kardforgató wrote:

so he draws an item and throws, gets up and starts to run, a standard and two move actions?

He jumped to his feet and threw the item hoping to have caught you off your guard (a surprise round). He runs after you are/aren't deafened by the thunderstone. I am going to have you all roll initiative to see if you can catch him as he runs. I'm not going to cheat you or the system here, guys. :)


Male half-elf Slayer 2|HP 20 |AC 16/T 12/FF 14 | F+5/R+5/W+1 | CMB + 6 | CMD 18 |init + 2 | Perc + 9 | disable device + 9/+ 11

isn't jumping to his feet a move action? and the attack a standard? wouldn't he get one or the other in a surprise round?


Duergar Unchained Monk 2 | HP: 21/21 | AC: 16 T:16 F:10 CMD:17 AC: 19 T:18 F:11 CMD:19 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +3 (+2 vs spells) | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, S.M. +7 | Speed 20ft

Fortitude: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

"What!?" Khavakra shouts, trying to hear what Elek said.

Elek is right about surprise rounds.


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 4/6

Nessa's whimsical expression became more serious when she heard the readon for their task and became much more serious. "So it's revenge we seek? This is good, let's go get him." With that she went with the others to the most foul smelling part of the city she'd ever been in. Just before they found the beggar Nessa wrinkled her nose and said, "What a wonderful smell you've discovered."

Her tall boots click-clacked as she walked and she noticed the beggar man as he asked for mercy. She wasn't sure what kind of mercy he wanted but then cursed as he suddenly threw a stone at them that exploded with a loud bang.
Fort: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Nessa cursed as the explosion went off and then again. It took her a moment to realize that she couldn't hear herself. She glared in the direction the man went and let her hands curl into claws as she hissed, her fangs snapping out in a rage.


Male Half-Orc | LN Fighter(Armiger)| Speed 30 | Initiative+2 | Perception+11 | Diplomacy+1 | Sense Motive+1 | Ardent[1/1] | Armor Training, Weapon Training (Spears) | AC: 19 (Tch 12, FF 17, Armor+6, Dex+2, NA+1) | Fort+9, Reflex+4, Will+3 | CMD: 22 (BAB+5, Str+5, Dex+2) | Hp: 67 [67/67] [10+4d10 (27)+Con (20)+FC (5)+Toughness (5)] | Melee +13 Longspear 1d8+11, +11 Shortspear 1d6+6, Ranged +7 Light Crossbow 1d8 | CMB: +8

Fortitude: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

Chalkou easily shakes off the ringing in his ears.

Initiative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

I am sorry, I have been misinformed about surprise rounds. Please accept my apologizes. He throws the item in the surprise round, nothing more.

Initiative Order:
Nessa: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Khavakra: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Elek: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Pauper: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

Order is Pauper, Khavakra, Chalkou, Nessa, and Elek. I used your roll, Chalkou, rather than roll again for you, if that is alright.

Am I right in this? The Pauper uses a double move action to both get to his feet and run thirty feet down the Alley.


Male half-elf Slayer 2|HP 20 |AC 16/T 12/FF 14 | F+5/R+5/W+1 | CMB + 6 | CMD 18 |init + 2 | Perc + 9 | disable device + 9/+ 11

I did not see this on the map, did he cross close enough to pick up any AOO?


Duergar Unchained Monk 2 | HP: 21/21 | AC: 16 T:16 F:10 CMD:17 AC: 19 T:18 F:11 CMD:19 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +3 (+2 vs spells) | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, S.M. +7 | Speed 20ft
Elek Kardforgató wrote:
I did not see this on the map, did he cross close enough to pick up any AOO?

We're all flat-footed, so we don't get to make AoOs unless you have Combat Reflexes or some other ability that lets you do that.

It will probably look bad if we kill the guy... Khavakra thinks.

Khavakra charges after the man, pulling out her Dendar-Durük as she goes. She swings the chained staff, trying to render the man unconscious.

Dendar-Durük +2 charge, -4 nonlethal: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 6 - 2 = 19
Nonlethal Damage: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

301 to 350 of 1,389 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Under a Second Darkness All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.