GM Dak - Second Darkness

Game Master Dakcenturi

Chapter 1: Shadow in the Sky
Part 3: Hidden Enemies and Unexpected Allies

Pics / Maps / Loot & Notes

Starting Day: Moonday, 1st of Calistril, 4709
Current Day: Sunday, 22nd of Calistril, 4709


451 to 500 of 1,263 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

I would say so, Khavakra, as you came up to her looking for trouble or tells.

Lixy leads you east to the East Road towards the Boneyard then north towards the Burying Grounds, the semi-official cemetery of Riddleport. Approaching you see a small cluster of tents just inside the treeline southeast of the cemetery. Lixy marches resolutely to the tents, where she is confronted by two hooded and masked humans. The woman presents her necklace.

"Who is invited to the Pallid Feast?" One of the hooded men asks.

"She who hungers for eternal excess." Lixy replies.

The hooded ones nod and step aside, allowing Lixy and you to pass. Entering the cluster, you see two long tables being prepared for a glorious feast, one befitting a nobleman or crime lord. Wines, meats, hard-to-get fruits, and more are presented. Lixy allows her necklace to be exposed, revealing the skull-fly symbol to be presented for all to see. Other guests here bear the same symbol, and greet Lixy warmly.


Male Half-Orc | LN Fighter(Armiger)| Speed 30 | Initiative+2 | Perception+11 | Diplomacy+1 | Sense Motive+1 | Ardent[1/1] | Armor Training, Weapon Training (Spears) | AC: 19 (Tch 12, FF 17, Armor+6, Dex+2, NA+1) | Fort+9, Reflex+4, Will+3 | CMD: 22 (BAB+5, Str+5, Dex+2) | Hp: 67 [67/67] [10+4d10 (27)+Con (20)+FC (5)+Toughness (5)] | Melee +13 Longspear 1d8+11, +11 Shortspear 1d6+6, Ranged +7 Light Crossbow 1d8 | CMB: +8

Can I identify the symbol, either from a description by Khavakra, or by its open display here(with my earlier roll)?


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

Your earlier roll


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 6/6

Nessa let the others slip out and be on their way to tend to the various bits of investigation while she kept everyone's attention. She moved throughout the casino in her usual sensual way alternately teasing, flirting, and letting herself be groped. All the while she kept plying patrons with more drinks, more food, and as many distractions as she could manage so that they weren't thinking clearly when making their bets.


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

Nessa, despite this not being her shift, works the crowd for her own profit. She makes 25 gold in tips and manages to keep things rather calm during the post-lunch action here at the Goblin.


Male Half-Orc | LN Fighter(Armiger)| Speed 30 | Initiative+2 | Perception+11 | Diplomacy+1 | Sense Motive+1 | Ardent[1/1] | Armor Training, Weapon Training (Spears) | AC: 19 (Tch 12, FF 17, Armor+6, Dex+2, NA+1) | Fort+9, Reflex+4, Will+3 | CMD: 22 (BAB+5, Str+5, Dex+2) | Hp: 67 [67/67] [10+4d10 (27)+Con (20)+FC (5)+Toughness (5)] | Melee +13 Longspear 1d8+11, +11 Shortspear 1d6+6, Ranged +7 Light Crossbow 1d8 | CMB: +8

Chalkou's eyes narrow, and he looks around furtively. That symbol is the mark of the Pallid Princess. Urgathoans! Now nervous, he looks around, checking the exits and looking for any armed guards.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

There are no obvious guards at first, but Chalkou notices about six mercenaries watching the outside of this camp, keeping their eyes outwards. The gathering here carry no weapons, looking for all the world guests to a strange feast.

Lixy turns to you all. "This has nothing to do with Mister Feldin. I am here for comfort and to seek protection. If Larur is still missing, he is most likely dead. If one of the upper staff of the Gold Goblin is dead, then who is to say any one of us is next?"

She sits at one of the long tables, head in her hands. "I came today because I would be among others who shared my ... faith. I hope to entreat to our leader and ask for guidance and protection till Saul figures out his latest mess. Gods know that fat snake can't protect his own."

Nessa:
While at the Gold Goblin, Saul approaches Nessa as she earns overtime. "I did say you aren't a regular employee, my dear. A Calistrian never rests, do they?"

In a more hushed tone, he asks "Did you find anything about Larur yet?"


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 6/6

Saul:
Nessa gave Saul a flirtatious smile when he approached her and said, "Oh you better believe I'm not a regular employee." She giggled evily as she continued, "If I show up at random the Girls will need to be on their toes so I don't get all their tips."

When Saul asked softer about Larur, Nessa took the hint and stepped in close to him, her hand wrapping around his neck, and leaned in closely while folding her wings around them both. With the added "privacy" she said, [smaller]"Sorry Saul, we found that he is missing and a bum moved into his empty place and the Loan Shark was a bust. I guess he already had the loan paid off so what he was doing with the money we don't know. Did he have debts with anyone else?"


Male half-elf Slayer 2|HP 20 |AC 16/T 12/FF 14 | F+5/R+5/W+1 | CMB + 6 | CMD 18 |init + 2 | Perc + 9 | disable device + 9/+ 11

Leaning in to the others, Elek asks, "Now what? Do we see if they want to invite us to sit down? Or do we wait till they ask us to leave? I don't think were going to get more from her, at least not without a fight and I'm not sure I like the odds."


Duergar Unchained Monk 2 | HP: 21/21 | AC: 16 T:16 F:10 CMD:17 AC: 19 T:18 F:11 CMD:19 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +3 (+2 vs spells) | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, S.M. +7 | Speed 20ft
DM Gee-Em wrote:
Lixy turns to you all. "This has nothing to do with Mister Feldin. I am here for comfort and to seek protection. If Larur is still missing, he is most likely dead. If one of the upper staff of the Gold Goblin is dead, then who is to say any one of us is next?"

Khavakra looks around in surprise and shakes her head.

"I can't say the notion of people who look forward to becoming undead makes any sense to me, but I don't care what your religion is if you leave outsiders alone."

"But if these people are priests of death, would they be able to make some incantation to commune with the spirits? Perhaps they could ask if Larur is among their number?"


Male Half-Orc | LN Fighter(Armiger)| Speed 30 | Initiative+2 | Perception+11 | Diplomacy+1 | Sense Motive+1 | Ardent[1/1] | Armor Training, Weapon Training (Spears) | AC: 19 (Tch 12, FF 17, Armor+6, Dex+2, NA+1) | Fort+9, Reflex+4, Will+3 | CMD: 22 (BAB+5, Str+5, Dex+2) | Hp: 67 [67/67] [10+4d10 (27)+Con (20)+FC (5)+Toughness (5)] | Melee +13 Longspear 1d8+11, +11 Shortspear 1d6+6, Ranged +7 Light Crossbow 1d8 | CMB: +8

"I don't like it. I don't like it at all. Nothing good comes from cults of undeath." Chalkou whispers, glancing around furtively.


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

Nessa:
Saul shook his head as he placed his key-hand on the small of Nessa's back, adding to the act. "Larur hating being in others' debt. His loan with Smeed was not his first option, believe me. I've been thinking about it, and I think he was targeted to get to me. That does not narrow the list, however, I have many enemies."

Lixy pursed her lips at Khavakra's question. "I could ask, but our priestess demands payment for that kind of service. It is never money, though, but things variant on the person asking."

Three figures approach as she speaks. Two are humans cloaked in dirty robes and flank a tall figure. Lixy stands to bow to the tall female form, whose features are hidden from view by a deep hood.

"It is a pleasure to see you, my child." The hooded woman whispers. "I see you brought guests to our feast."

"They have a request of you, Mother." Lixy turns to you three. "This is our Mother, I credit her for my invention of Ghoulette, the game I manage at the Gold Goblin."


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 6/6

Saul:
Hearing what Saul said about targeted to get to him the words made some sense to Nessa. She couldn't fault the reasoning at the very least. "Abyss," she cursed, "I had hoped maybe we could get some more information to work with, guess not. I'll quietly ask around the temple then and see what I can find out."

Nessa's wings mantled, opening from around her and Saul and settling down around her shoulders as she folded them around and clasped the foreclaws at her throat once more while stepping back from him. "I think I'll let the others know the update, if I can find them of course." She started to leave him and looked back over her shoulder before blowing him a kiss, "See ya later Saul." There was a lot of suggestion put into those words, enough to make most men swoon, before the gorgeous tiefling slipped out of the establishment.


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

Nessa's weekend comes to an end, and as she returns to the Gold Goblin for her side job she notices that Elek, Chalkou, and Khavakra are not in their usual places. Lixy, seeing the sorceress enter, waves her over.

"Afternoon, Nessie." She seems far more at ease since the last time you saw her almost two days ago, and even gives you a peck on the cheek in greeting. "Saul wanted to speak with you up in his office before you get started for today."

Should Nessa look up in that direction past the balcony, you'll see Saul speaking to three others just outside his suite.


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 6/6

Nessa was a bit surprised at Lixy's kiss but didn't mind it at all, she was a very affectionate woman after all. She let her tail twine around the other woman's leg for a moment as she looked up to where Saul was and nodded as she said, "Thanks Lixy." She began to head towards the stairs up to Saul's office and her tail unwound itself from Lixy's leg as she went brushing briefly between her legs teasingly as the last of it left contact.

Nessa made her way towards the stairs, her normal flirting and teasing flowing flawlessly as she made her way through the crowd. She enjoyed the attention that she always received, it made her feel good, and she when she reached the stairs it was with reluctance that she left it all behind her. She went up and headed to Saul's office door and met the guard as she said, "I was told to come meet Saul in is office." She reached for the door and went on in to seat herself on the desk and wait for him unless stopped.


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

Saul meets you at the door and smiles proudly. "Ah, Nessa, so good to see a familiar face. Please, come in and meet your new partners!" Sitting behind the desk, Saul looks past Nessa's back to the three he was talking to earlier.

"After sending out the others to locate Larur, they vanished as well. I am - for lack of a more courageous way of saying it - finding it easier to resume praying to the gods. Thankfully, I have found fitting replacements for those lost to me. Starting with you, Lady Nessa. I have no choice but to accept Larur as no longer with us. So, I need a left-hand man - or woman - to replace the invaluable partner and ally that Feldin was to me. I am offering you that position."

He then gestures to the three strangers: a half-orc male, a human woman, and a female tiefling. "These three are new hires. I'll not embarrass them by doing their introductions for them."

My new players, please post your characters' introductions and appearances now.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None

"Well met. I am Hedran" - the large half-orc offers a nod.

He seems a veritable implement of warfare - multiple weapons dotting his simple, travelling attire - a morningstar to one side, a dagger and a sling to the other, all complemented by a well kept lamellar armor.

In spite of the gear carried he moves easily, seemingly with no difficulties in lugging around the great load.

His dark brown hair and beard are disheveled and his black grayish clothes are more than a bit dusty, a clear indication of recent travel. The half-breed's skin is also quite suntanned, but none of it dims the glow in his black eyes as he observes the group, and introduces himself to the stunning Nessa.

The fangs protruding from his lower jaw are evident - a clear testament of his orcish heritage.

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

An an athletic and shapely tiefling stands and makes a small curtsy. Like the other tiefling in the room, her tail seems to have a mind of its own.

Though she is not as beautiful as her fellow tiefling, she does seem to be composed and even regal. She wears a fine gray coat with a waist cincher, a white blouse, and tan leather trousers with multiple belts strapped around her waist. Her eyes glow a faint red, and her dark hair is bobbed to her chin. A pair of horns emerge at an elegant angle from her forehead.

"Greetings," she says. "It is my pleasure to meet your acquaintance. I am Sarai Shae, most recently of Magnimar. But I find myself in...new circumstances, shall we say? I look forward to working with all of you."

She sits back down and surveys the others. A small reptile looking like a flightless dragon the size of a house cat emerges from her pack and looks around.

"Back inside, Switch. You'll frighten the rabble."

Turning back to her new boss, she says "So what's been going on here? My cousin Lavender Lil said you needed some help. But what kind of help, exactly?"

Rather than read through ten pages of this thread, I'm wondering if we can get a recap of what has happened in character. Since I wouldn't know exactly what has happened here recently, maybe just a paragraph letting us know what's transpired?


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4

A tall human woman stands along a nearby wall in the office, straight-backed with an intense gaze that seems to look right through a person to their inner-most secrets. Her blond hair cut to chin length on one side and completely shaved on the other, with a tattoo running through it, over her eye and down her cheek.

Though the woman is obviously Ulfen by heritage, her armor is of dwarven make, and well used at that. The same could be said of the massive warhammer that stands head-down at her feet, one arm resting easily on the haft. A solid chain wrapped around her left forearm ends with an iron medallion hanging just within hand's reach. The iron hammer of Torag clearly emblazoned on the medallion.

She nods towards Saul and Nessa at the introduction, looking toward each person in the room for a full second before speaking. "Well met. I am Thyra Osouf of Janderhoff." She pauses a moment, seeming unsure if she should say more, then clamps her mouth shut and nods again with a sense of finality.

Anyone who pays any attention to her beyond the initial greeting notes that her eyes seem to glance quickly and briefly towards the two tieflings in the room before staring at nothing again.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None
Sarai Shae wrote:


"Back inside, Switch. You'll frighten the rabble."

”Rabble?” - Hedran inquires with a raised eyebrow.


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4
Sarai Shae wrote:

She sits back down and surveys the others. A small reptile looking like a flightless dragon the size of a house cat emerges from her pack and looks around.

"Back inside, Switch. You'll frighten the rabble."

Thyra eyes the odd-looking lizard, and the tiefling woman, in turn. She doesn't seem to react either way towards the exchange, merely taking note and storing it away for later.

Hedran wrote:
”Rabble?” - Hedran inquires with a raised eyebrow.

"Indeed," she responds to the half-orc in agreement.

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

"Oh, please don't take offense, darling!" the tiefling responds.

"It is just a manner of expression. Though if you were to examine this motley assortment of individuals, 'rabble' might be quite accurate. Myself, included," she says wistfully.


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 6/6

Nessa was surprised at Saul having beat her to the office but she supposed she shouldn't have been. She saw the three people from the catwalks that had been with Saul earlier as she entered the room. She was wearing her typical black leather outfit and her blond hair falling behind her and folded her wings closed around herself as she moved to Saul's desk. She hopped up on it and sat facing the newly hired people where she wouldn't be blocking Saul's view of them.

Settled in place Nessa crossed on knee over the other as she looked at those gathered and they introduced. She leaned forward slightly and propped on elbow on her knees as she rested her chin on her palm and looked at them. She nodded in recognition, particularly at Sarai when she mentions she is Lil's cousin, and then said, "Nice to meet you all, I'm sure it will be a pleasure soon enough." Nessa's voice was a sensual purr as she spoke those words and looked at the gathered new co-workers.


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4
Sarai Shae wrote:

"Oh, please don't take offense, darling!" the tiefling responds.

"It is just a manner of expression. Though if you were to examine this motley assortment of individuals, 'rabble' might be quite accurate. Myself, included," she says wistfully.

"None taken," Thyra says, her face softening slightly, though her gaze as sharp as ever. "I promise you, if I had taken offense, that my words would be.... harder." She emphasizes this last word with a brief pat of her hand against the haft of her weapon. She smiles slightly, seeming a bit more at ease.

Nessa Meretrix wrote:
"Nice to meet you all, I'm sure it will be a pleasure soon enough." Nessa's voice was a sensual purr as she spoke those words and looked at the gathered new co-workers.

The look on Thyra's face goes from amusement to shock in an instant as she takes in Nessa's word and meaning. She quickly tries to erase all expression from her face as she looks away again, but the redness creeping up her face makes it impossible to hide her embarrassment. "Well met." she says again, a little softer.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None
Sarai Shae wrote:

"Oh, please don't take offense, darling!" the tiefling responds.

"It is just a manner of expression. Though if you were to examine this motley assortment of individuals, 'rabble' might be quite accurate. Myself, included," she says wistfully.

"Or not" - Hedran shrugs, but doe snot press the matter further.

Thyra Osouf wrote:
Sarai Shae wrote:
Nessa Meretrix wrote:
"Nice to meet you all, I'm sure it will be a pleasure soon enough." Nessa's voice was a sensual purr as she spoke those words and looked at the gathered new co-workers.
The look on Thyra's face goes from amusement to shock in an instant as she takes in Nessa's word and meaning. She quickly tries to erase all expression from her face as she looks away again, but the redness creeping up her face makes it impossible to hide her embarrassment. "Well met." she says again, a little softer.

"Well met also" - the half-orc nods at Nessa, then turns to Thyra - "And to you"


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

Saul's smile through the banter never falters. "Ah, little Lavender still has a soft spot for Uncle Saul, eh? I should have seen the family resemblance, no offence. Well, sometime after the night of my retirement I found a new employer and set about building a more legit form of business. I still have bills to pay, after all."

"However, I still have enemies it seems. You learn quickly that you never can escape the game once you start playing. Thus, I have suffered thugs trying to either rob or murder me. Par for the course. However, now my partners are being targeted or going missing. I have lost Larur Feldin, an old friend, and Nessa's former coworkers. This is where we stand, currently, and what you are hired for."

Saul points to each of you with his key hand. "Nessa, I'd like you to share the spotlight with me as another pair of eyes to run this business and watch for rivals. Hedren, you are our bodyguard, keeping folks out of places they don't need to be in. Thyra, you are a warrior of justice and so I want to ensure no one breaks the rules and keep fights from breaking out, also keeping any weapons out of the floor. And Sarai, you are the eyes in the sky here, watching for any foul play and potential threats. Together, I hope the five of us can keep each other alive till we can discover who is out for my blood."

"Now, we're is about to open. Let's get to it!"

Does that work? Your characters can ask for more information.


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4
DM Gee-Em wrote:
Thyra, you are a warrior of justice and so I want to ensure no one breaks the rules and keep fights from breaking out, also keeping any weapons out of the floor.

Thyra listens to Saul words, forgetting her vulnerability a moment ago. She can't help but feel a little inspired by the man's drive. Don't forget why you're here, girl, she mentally chastises herself.

"Sir!" she agrees without complaint. Her posture returns to the attention it was at when this meeting first started. "I promise you these walls will know the protection of Torag, so long as I draw breath. I only request be that I am able to have the time to perofrm my morning rituals freely. If you would know of a good smithy nearby who would be willing to let me use his forge for an hour a day, even for a fee, I would be more than grateful."

Works for me, especially when put into those terms. Whenever possible, I'd like to have her perform the Obedience as part of her morning preperation ritual, listed here. Whether or not she gains the bonus when successful I leave to you. I would assume that she would be using Perception and Sense Motive mostly while working, with the odd Intimidation check when someone gets out of line.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None

"Understood" - Hedran looks at those gathered around, then at Saul - "What are the wages?" - he inquires.

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

Perfect recap! Thanks!!!

Sarai nods at the thought of having enemies out to get you.

Never have I felt as naked as I did before the tribunal that day...

She looks the others over, hopeful that this rag-tag group can keep them safe.

"I'm sure this will be as easy as attending a ball," she says. "I will keep an eye out for cheats...I know a lot of their tricks myself."

Once Hedran mentions their pay, she also looks interested in the answer.


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

"Same as those who came before and same as Nessa's now. 25 silver an hour, eight hours a day, five days a week. Any extra work done outside the norm will be compensated."

Saul then retrieves four contracts of employment. They are simple affairs, covering payment, privileges, and position in the "company". "Sign these and we're partners. First payment will be at the end of the week once we close the morning after Fireday. Moonday through then you are required to work here. On Starday and Sunday you might get called in, depending."

"We'll make a show of strength this week, afterwards we'll start investigating leads for who is against us. Depending on how convincing we make it, they may make the first move and we'll catch them red-handed."

After you all sign, he smiles. "Now, let's make some money!" He'll lead the way to greet the afternoon rush.


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4

Thyra frowns slightly that her question was ignored, but puts it behind herself for the time being. [i[You can sort out that information later. For now, there is work to be done. Keep your eyes and ears open.[/i]

After looking over the contract for anything untoward, she signs her name and follows Saul back into the main part of the casino. She gathers whatever information and resources that she needs to the job put before her and takes up her post by the door, near where the weapons locker is located. She plants her massive hammer in front of her, head down, which to the others would very quickly seems like a familiar stance for her.

She puts herself in a position to be the first person visible as people come through the door, and so that she can see them clearly as the walk through the door, but all so that she can have as good of a view as possible of the main casino floor. She especially looks for possible hidden weapons and items that would be considered 'illegal' within these walls. Her intense stare may make some people uncomfortable, as she scrutinizes everyone for any suspicious behavior.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

Damnit, sorry Thyra!

Thyra:
As you all head out of the office to the main floor, Saul taps your side with his key hand. "About your request, Larur had a friend near the Gas Forges who ran a shrine to Torag. A lot of drwarves work at the Forges and so the faithful congregated there. Look for the squat flats just south of the Forges and ask around for a dwarven woman named Bladi Ironknuckles. She runs both the flats and the shrine and I imagine she would have what you need."


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4

Thyra nods to Saul, and even smiles with some genuine warmth, in thanks. "I will look into this place at first light. It will be good to work with the dwarves again."

No worries, Gee-Em. I'll poke and prod a bit, as needed. Just let me know if I get annoying. ;)

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

Sarai sighs and prepares for the day's work.

I suppose this could at least be...interesting.

"Nobody get lost," she says to the others.

She assumes her position where she can watch the floor, skulking like a cat and keeping her eyes open.

stealth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25
perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 6/6

Nessa was amused at Thyra's embarrassment and knew the woman would be fun to toy with. As Saul began telling them what he wanted of them Nessa was pleased to know she would be center stage, she did ever so adore the attention. As the new people signed the contract she smiled and said, "If you'll excuse me I need to go change."

With that Nessa slid from the desk and sashayed towards the door. As she opened it she paused and looked back over one shoulder, "Oh, and as always employees get a discount on my services if they want them." With that she sauntered out the door and headed to the dressing room to change.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None
DM Gee-Em wrote:

"Same as those who came before and same as Nessa's now. 25 silver an hour, eight hours a day, five days a week. Any extra work done outside the norm will be compensated."

Saul then retrieves four contracts of employment. They are simple affairs, covering payment, privileges, and position in the "company". "Sign these and we're partners. First payment will be at the end of the week once we close the morning after Fireday. Moonday through then you are required to work here. On Starday and Sunday you might get called in, depending."

"We'll make a show of strength this week, afterwards we'll start investigating leads for who is against us. Depending on how convincing we make it, they may make the first move and we'll catch them red-handed."

After you all sign, he smiles. "Now, let's make some money!" He'll lead the way to greet the afternoon rush.

Hedran signs the contract with a nod of agreement, then moves off with the others.

Thyra Osouf wrote:
Thyra nods to Saul, and even smiles with some genuine warmth, in thanks. "I will look into this place at first light. It will be good to work with the dwarves again."

"Let me know if they need an extra hand - I have learned the basics of weaponsmithing and can handle my own at most tasks"

------

As he moved to the common room, he pondered what services could Nessa be providing, making a mental note to check it later on.

The half-orc does not make any effort to move around unnoticed. He is however discreet, so he is not bumping into customers and/or gamblers - he makes his presence noted, but is not invasive.

He settles on different circuits each time he traverses the room, but always guarantees he passes by the others (not sure he can find Sarai :D), and make sure all is well.

Perception (if needed): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4
Hedran wrote:
"Let me know if they need an extra hand - I have learned the basics of weaponsmithing and can handle my own at most tasks"

Thyra smirks at Hedran, a little too severely to be considered playful. "Dwarves never need and extra hand, friend. It's just not in their nature, though they always work seamlessly in groups. If you wish to join me in talking with this Bladi Ironknuckles, you are more than welcome. Just be ready to rise with the sun."


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None
Thyra Osouf wrote:
Hedran wrote:
"Let me know if they need an extra hand - I have learned the basics of weaponsmithing and can handle my own at most tasks"
Thyra smirks at Hedran, a little too severely to be considered playful. "Dwarves never need and extra hand, friend. It's just not in their nature, though they always work seamlessly in groups. If you wish to join me in talking with this Bladi Ironknuckles, you are more than welcome. Just be ready to rise with the sun."

"Fair enough" - Hedran chuckles in reply - "It was simply a manner of speaking, but no worries - I'll have a look around town myself when I get a chance" - he adds as they head downstairs into their respective stations - "Thank you anyway"


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

Fortunately for your first day, nothing exciting happens. Perhaps it is the new faces - or the determination on them, but no one tries anything that night during hours. It is the next morning, however, as you all get off of work, that another strange event rattles the people of Riddleport.

As you all make your way to your respective morning rituals an alarm bell rings from the southern docks. Any in that part of town are nearly swept away by the large tidal wave. There are some screams as some reefclaws and an odd shark got washed up into the streets and are causing some panic in the masses.

That would include Hedren and Thyra for sure, as the flats Bladi runs are right on the docks. If you went to talk to the female dwarf, you'd be on the first floor and thus up to your ankles in sea water for a solid ten minutes. Nessa, the House of the Silken Veil is in the northern part of town and on a bit of a rise, so the water does not reach there. Sarai, I don't know where you'd be staying - either the Gold Goblin with the free room offered by Saul or at the House as well, but unless otherwise stated by you you'd probably be clear of this.

Please post what you were doing [IC would be lovely] before this tidal surge and we can get some action in for you guys!


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None

Actually Hedran ended up declining the invitation to meet up with the dwarf ;)

As usual, the half-orc woke up just before sunrise - his disciplined routine was essential for the balance between arcane and martial mastery. Waking up early, and going through the sets of both mental and physical exercises was part of that routine.

Once finished, he set to studying his spells for the day. There had always been a hint of spontaneous magic in him, ever since he was a little child - it could be seen in small things by those paying more attention. But most of it is discipline and study.

After packing his gear and getting ready to move out, he heard it first - some sort of distant rumbling which initially sounded like a storm. He quickly understood it was not, when the trmbling hit, mixed in with screams and panicked shouts.

He opened his window to see what was happening!


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4

Thyra wakes up just before dawn after a long night of guard duty, which was a slight disappointment if she was being honest. She was satisfied about a job well done, but would have appreciated a bit of excitement as well to stir things up a bit.

Regardless, she gets herself armed and armored, and makes her way to the flats that Saul mentioned to her the night before. After introducing herself to Bladi as a member of the church from Janderhoff, she requests the use of a forge each morning for her morning devotions, if one is available. She even offers a donation for the troubles, and any basic items she makes to sell.

Assuming that she is permitted, she spends the next hour working the forge on a small project (any tools needed by the dwarves, or a dagger or some equivalent Craft (blacksmith): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22) and performing her ritual of Obedience to Torag (as laid out here).

While it does not say specifically, I'm assuming that I can use the prayers during the ritual as part of her preparation for the day; ie. spells, etc.

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

I'm going to suggest I'd stay at the Gold Goblin. Though I'm cousins with Lavendar Lil, I'm also a former lady. I don't think I've sunk that low...

Sarai has spent the last day or so learning the ropes, including the different things to watch out for with cheats. She seems resigned to the new job. If nothing else, it's an opportunity to regroup and decide where she wants to go after her staggering fall from grace.

After hearing the commotion, Sarai gathers her gear and tries to meet up with the other employees. She ensures that the place is locked up or otherwise secure before leaving.

Assuming I'm not leaving our establishment open with no employees, I'll head out and find the others.


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (7/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 6/6

Nessa had enjoyed work the day before and enjoyed worship even more later. It left her rather groggy when the alarm bells started going off in the vast distance and she wasn't really awake enough to know what they were. She managed to roll over in her bed and mumbled, "Quit playin'...yer bell nau...y kitt...n or...schpank y...." She started to drift off to sleep once again.


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

Map

That there is the join link for the Roll20 map. I am using your alias icons for your placement stuff. Hope ya'll don't mind. Also, sorry for delay, first week of training knocked me out.

Sarai, the casino is closed this early in the morning, and even so Saul and Bojask (a fellow employee) are maintaining the area currently.

Thyra is the first to respond to a local flooding and sees a few citizens being harassed by two large shark-like creatures swimming up the streets.

Initiative:
Thyra: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Sarai: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11
Hedran: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Sharks: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

Order is Sharks, Thyra, Sarai, and Hedren.

Rounds before Sarai Arrives: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Rounds before Hedran arrives: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

I also don't see a current map (looks like old characters on it). I'll go ahead and run toward the action though for the next 6 rounds. :)

Sarai rushes toward the sound of commotion, unsure what she will find when she gets there.


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4

Since the map isn't currently working, I'll have to make guesswork on what I can/should do.

Thyra arrives on the scene and is stunned by the sight of the shark-beasts. She quickly jumps into action and intercepts one of the creature.

Priority target is one that is attacking a civilian, otherwise she attacks the closest one. If she can get within melee range, she will do that, otherwise she will cast Ear-piercing Scream. I'll provide all rolls, just to be sure.

Melee attach: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Hammer damage: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (1, 5) + 3 = 9

Ear-piercing Scream: 1d6 ⇒ 1 Sonic daamge. Dazed for 1 round; DC 14 Fort Save; half-damage and no dazed on save.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None

Hedran moves toward the commotion as fast as he ca.

Guess I will be double-moving for 5 rounds? :D


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4

Now that we've got a map, I'll opt for flanking the yellow 'shark' and hitting it in melee using the previous rolls. :)


Male Voice Beyond the Folding Fourth Wall Game Master

The first round the sharks went first, attacking the NPCs as Thyra rushes in to strike the shark nearest her.

Her first strike is true, her warhammer bruising and tearing the scaly flesh of the shark. It roars and thrashes in the water, the bloody foam kicking into Thyra's eyes.

The second round commences, the yellow shark turning to attack Thyra as the other continues to tear into its current target.

Shark Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Bite Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4

Thyra winces at the bite, keeping from crying out. Survive, or these people won't! Hoping that she still has the one shark's attention, she summons the protective power of Torag to cover over herself and the civilians (+2 Deflection to AC & CMD; 20' Radius). She yells at the one man to get clear if the shark follows her, and she attempts to get the attention of the other shark.

AC is now the following: AC 18; TAC 14; FFAC 16. Lasts for 2 rounds. She tries her best to keep both civilians in the radius, unless the one flees to safety.

451 to 500 of 1,263 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Under a Second Darkness All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.