GM Dak - Second Darkness

Game Master Dakcenturi

Chapter 1: Shadow in the Sky
Part 3: Hidden Enemies and Unexpected Allies

Pics / Maps / Loot & Notes

Starting Day: Moonday, 1st of Calistril, 4709
Current Day: Sunday, 22nd of Calistril, 4709


1,151 to 1,190 of 1,190 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>

HR | MM | RotRL | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

With everyone coming to help Sarai in her efforts it doesn't take long to sort through the various documents. Most of it is pretty mundane stuff however upon closer inspection of the Gold Goblin’s financial
records you note that the majority of these pages are in Saul’s handwriting, and something seems off.

Linguistics DC22:
You discover the truth of why these documents seem off. Most of the profits from the Gold Goblin have been funneled to someone indicated only as “D.A.”. However, this D.A. isn't referenced anywhere else and none of you know anyone by those initials.

Feel free to aid on the check above, anyone whose character would have experience with financial documents gets a +2 bonus on their check.

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

Sarai examines the documents carefully. Having some experience with various languages and financial documents from her deceased husband's shipping business, she can tell something seems off. She can almost put her finger on it--but not quite.

linguistics: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 7 + 2 = 19


M Wild half elf | Resource Tracker | Cleric 3 | HP 28 / 28 | AC 18; 12tch 16ff | +6 fort +4 ref +6* will | +4 init | Acrobatics +6 Heal +2 Kn: Religion +4 Perception +14 Sense Motive +6

Cameron rifled through the pages and pages of shorthand notes before scratching his head, "Can't make heads or tails of this! Can any of you? If not shall we see what is below?"


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (5/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 2/6

Nessa just ignored Hedran's rebuttable as she figured he was just stupid if he thought listening was something she did so arguing wasn't going to be worth it. She turned her gaze to Cameron as he asked about something poetic for Saul he grinned evilly as she said, "Oh yes, I've gottena message to someone who very much seems to want a piece of Saul. You weren't here when we last had a visit from him," she looked at those still downstairs with her and said, "actually I don't know if any of you were here when he came. He's not a very nice person and he might hold a grudge since we were working for Saul. I figure turning Saul over to him might get us off the hook."


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4

Making the assumption that the conversation was taken upstairs.

"Hold on," Thyra says, putting down the papers she was looking at (and getting frustrated with). "You're saying that there was a rival or enemy of Saul's that we didn't know about? Hopefully he can be reasonable."

Turning back to the others, she says "I can't make heads or tails of all this. Perhaps Nessa can find something that we've missed? Or your friend Kwava, Cameron? Either way, we should probably check through the vault next, and then make our way to the basement."


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (5/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 2/6

Nope, specifically downstairs, but it likely was before everyone but Sarai went upstairs..

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

Can anyone give a Lingustics aid? I'm very close--


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4

Can you aid Linguistics untrained?


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (5/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 2/6

generally no, Linguistics is trained only.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None
Cameron Hawkwinter wrote:
Cameron rifled through the pages and pages of shorthand notes before scratching his head, "Can't make heads or tails of this! Can any of you? If not shall we see what is below?"

Linguistics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

Hedran is not a specialist in finance, but his mind is keen and analytical, as well as being used to the intricacies of magical writing. Picking up on the information gathered mainly by Sarai, but also Cameron and Thyra, he tries to piece the details together, and... "Got it" - he grumbles.

Spraying some of the documents over the table, he beckons the others to join him - "Ok, so... These documents seem off... Most of the profits from the Gold Goblin have been funneled to someone indicated only as “D.A.” - he explains - "Does the name ring any bells to you? Because this D.A. isn't referenced anywhere else and I don't know anyone by those initials"

Or basically I guess you can read the spoiler? :D


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4

"D.A.?" Thyra replies. "I certainly don't know who that is, and it's cryptic enough that it could be anyone. Perhaps there are clues elsewhere in the building. Maybe we can squeeze the information out of Saul himself."


HR | MM | RotRL | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

After Hedran's revelation that only brings with it more questions, it is clear that Saul has had something more going on here than anyone else knew about. However, there doesn't appear to be anything else of interest in his office.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None

"I guess that's about time yes" - Hedran nods at Thyra, then moves out to join Nessa and Saul.

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

"Let's check out the vault first, and then we can question Saul about this. It appears this business is a front for something else. Good find, Hedran."

Let's check the vault and any other rooms on the top couple floors that might be interesting, then we can question Saul.


M Wild half elf | Resource Tracker | Cleric 3 | HP 28 / 28 | AC 18; 12tch 16ff | +6 fort +4 ref +6* will | +4 init | Acrobatics +6 Heal +2 Kn: Religion +4 Perception +14 Sense Motive +6

Cameron nodded making an appreciative sound, "Mmm yes lets, Kwave and I thought there was something fishy about this place. Best be on our guard, no telling what's in there."

Let me guess we need a key or a rather high disable device check.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None

Who is watching over Saul?

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10
Cameron Hawkwinter wrote:

Let me guess we need a key or a rather high disable device check.

I think we do have the key, but I also have +13 DD if needed.


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4

Thyra has his key-claw-thing available.


HR | MM | RotRL | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Don't believe anyone is specifically watching Saul, but he was nearly dead and you all only stabilized him so unless he gets external help he won't be waking up anytime soon.

1d6 ⇒ 4

Heading to the vault you see the door to this reinforced chamber is composed of solid steel. Its hinges are securely nested in the stone wall. Seven keyholes and a locking wheel are set in the center of the door. All the locks respond to a single key. Trying all the various keys you eventual find a very nondescript one that appears to work. Although the cash boxes sitting on the shelves of this chamber should hold many thousands of gold pieces based on the casino’s take, in truth there is only 400 gp here.


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4

Adding that to the pot.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None

Hmmmm Hedran would not risk it - if no one else of the group is there, he would be watching over Saul.


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4

"This doesn't look right," Thyra mentions as they collect the money. "Just another point to add to the list of strange happenings around here."

She has another look around after leaving the vault, then adds, "Should we wait on this mystery rival before we search the basement?"


female tiefling (pitborn) Sorcerer 3 | HP 23/23 | AC 13, TAC 12, FF 11 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +0 (darkvision 60 ft) | serpeant's fang (dc 13) (5/7) | Blood Intensity 1/1 Spells: lvl 1 2/6

Nessa never went up stairs, the only post she's made took place before everyone else followed Sarai. She isn't dumb enough to leave Saul unattended.

Nessa watched the others come back downstairs and then head elsewhere to the vault. She was curious about what they were doing but decided that leaving the unconscious Saul unattended was a recipe for disaster. Besides, she wasn't sure when her "guest" would arrive.


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None

If Nessa is with Saul, then Hedran is with the others ;)

"Well, if the money is being funneled somewhere else, then I am not surprised only this amount is here" - he replies to Thyra, while searching the rest of the vault.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19


HR | MM | RotRL | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Searching the rest of the vault there isn't much else of interest save for one other locked iron chest. Working through Saul's keys you eventually find one that unlocks the chest. Inside is the deed to the Gold Goblin. An examination of the deed notes something interesting—the deed specifically states that it does not grant ownership of any smuggler’s tunnels that might exist under the property.

Know. Local - Tunnels DC15:
This is standard boilerplate text for Riddleport deeds—smuggler’s tunnels are a sort of secret “public works” owned by no one but utilized by many.

Know. Local - Deed DC15:
In Riddleport, possession of a deed is pretty much all that’s required to own a business—with this deed in hand, the group is now officially the owner of the Gold Goblin.

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

Sarai frowns at the contents of the vault, having been hoping for more. She searches for any hidden panels or secret doors before turning back to the others.

Not finding anything, she looks at the deed. "Smuggler tunnels--if there's anything to find, it could be there. But we should wake him up and ask him some pointed questions."

perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11


M Wild half elf | Resource Tracker | Cleric 3 | HP 28 / 28 | AC 18; 12tch 16ff | +6 fort +4 ref +6* will | +4 init | Acrobatics +6 Heal +2 Kn: Religion +4 Perception +14 Sense Motive +6

Knowledge is trained only so Cameron doesn't know anything about that.
"Missing money, smuggler tunnels, somebody called D.A mentioned all over the accounts. This all sounds very suspicious!" mused Cameron, "Maybe it is best to ask a few questions before Nessa's mysterious 'friend' arrives."

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

As Sarai examines the deed in her hands, she remembers something she had heard since her recent arrival.

"This is standard boilerplate text for Riddleport deeds—smuggler’s tunnels are a sort of secret 'public works' owned by no one but utilized by many. That doesn't mean all that much to us. But I will tell you something that does mean a lot. In Riddleport, possession of a deed is pretty much all that’s required to own a business—with this deed in hand, we are now officially the owner of the Gold Goblin," Sarai adds in growing elation.

local: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23


Male half-orc magus (hexcrafter) 2/ranger 1 || Init +2 || Perception +6 || Speed 30 ft. || AC 16 (currently 20/12/18), touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex) || hp 26/26 || Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +5 || Effects: None

"I wasn't expecting that" - Hedran chuckles - "I guess those are welcome news, after what the bastard tried to do to us"

So... I think we should wait and address the Saul issue before proceeding. Either we interrogate him, or we wait for our surprise guest :P


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4

Thyra is taken slight aback by the news of their acquisition. "I'm... not really sure that I want to claim ownership on such a business. Is there anything that says that it has to be the same business? Perhaps there is a way we could make it a boon to this city, rather than just another den of debauchery."

I'm all for questioning Saul. Maybe if he knows that his rival is coming for him, he might be more willing to talk.


HR | MM | RotRL | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Someone will need to heal him to wake him and then feel free to begin the interrogation.


M Wild half elf | Resource Tracker | Cleric 3 | HP 28 / 28 | AC 18; 12tch 16ff | +6 fort +4 ref +6* will | +4 init | Acrobatics +6 Heal +2 Kn: Religion +4 Perception +14 Sense Motive +6

Suppressing a yawn that crept up on him, Cameron admits "I uh can't actually heal Saul right now, would need to wait till the morning and that'll be too late. One of you will have to do it I'm afraid."

Only got domain spells left and AFAIK you can't use those for spontaneous heals.

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

I think a rest, after that last battle, would do us well. I'm a little worried about a visitor coming, but we could really use the rest.


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4

Thyra straightens a little, her voice gaining a bit more of an authoritative timbre. "If it's to see justice done, and judgement wrought, I will revive the lout. Make sure that his bindings are secure, if you please."

Once this is done, she grasps the holy symbol hanging from it's chain wrapped around her right arm, her weapon held upright with her left, treated almost as reverently. She prays with the same authority used only seconds earlier, "Father of Creation, grant me a small portion of your strength, so that this man face may his crimes."

As divine power causes the symbol to radiate with light, she reaches out to touch the iron symbol to Saul's forehead.

CLW: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10


M Wild half elf | Resource Tracker | Cleric 3 | HP 28 / 28 | AC 18; 12tch 16ff | +6 fort +4 ref +6* will | +4 init | Acrobatics +6 Heal +2 Kn: Religion +4 Perception +14 Sense Motive +6

Hands resting on his spear, Cameron watched Saul closely as woke up and after prodding him with the blunt end he tells him gruffly, "Don't get any ideas Vancaskerkin, we've got a few questions for you... I'll start. Made any Elven friends of late have you? Perhaps somebody called D.A perhaps? Hmmm?"

Cameron watched him careful, weighing any response verbal or otherwise the oily little man might make.
Sense Motive for any reply: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


HR | MM | RotRL | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

Thyra heals Saul who wakes up and is none too happy about finding himself bound. When Cameron starts asking questions Saul just spits in the half-elves face "Go to hell half-breed! You lot come here and kill all my men, take what you want and decide to start asking me questions. What good is it going to do me to answer any of your questions?"

Dark Archive

Tiefling Rogue 1 / Wizard 2| HP 21/21 | AC 15; Tch 14; FF 11 | F +1; R +6; W +3 | CMB+1; CMD 15 | Speed 30 ft | Init +10 | mwk Shortbow: +6 (1d6) | Perc +10

Sarai snorts. "You want to live? How about that for a reason to answer our questions?"

Trying to remain calm, she says "Why did you try to kill us and set up that ambush for us?"


M Wild half elf | Resource Tracker | Cleric 3 | HP 28 / 28 | AC 18; 12tch 16ff | +6 fort +4 ref +6* will | +4 init | Acrobatics +6 Heal +2 Kn: Religion +4 Perception +14 Sense Motive +6

Cameron shrugged, he'd heard worse, "I see, like that is it? I actually don't have any intention of killing you Saul. I just won't save you from Nessa's guest... Not unless you start talking that is."


HR | MM | RotRL | SD | SS1 | SS2 | WftC_1 | WftC_2 |

When Sarai mentions him wanting to live Saul shrugs "What's to stop you from killing me even if I answer your questions?" He shakes his head to himself "Anyway, it wasn't anything personal, it was just business you all were getting to big for your breeches and started to pose a threat."

When Cameron mentions saving him from Nessa's guest he looks a little surprised "What do you mean Nessa's guest?"


LG | human Inquisitor of Torag 3 | HP 22/22 | AC 17; TAC 12; FFAC 15 | Fort +5; Ref +3; Will +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +9, SM: +10 (+8 vs. creatures that threaten, accuse or challenge you and haven't apologized) | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: NA; Judgement - NA | Deflection Aura: 0/1 (3 rds); Judgement: 0/1 | Daily Spells: 1st - 1/4
Saul wrote:
"What's to stop you from killing me even if I answer your questions?"

"Nothing," Thyra answer curtly, now leaning on her hammer. "But we're not murderers. How else do you expect to be treated after trying to kill us. You may say that it was nothing personal, but that's exactly what it was."

Saul wrote:
When Cameron mentions saving him from Nessa's guest he looks a little surprised "What do you mean Nessa's guest?"

"I guess that you'll just have to ask Nessa and see how forgiving of a mood she's in," she answers, motioning towards the Calistrian woman.

1,151 to 1,190 of 1,190 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Under a Second Darkness All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.