GM Doug's The Fall of Plaguestone

Game Master Doug Hahn


51 to 100 of 1,049 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

Cai Fen nods at Gnak’s assessment.

Men like that are being similar to mosquitoes. Not worth the trouble to swat, and even if one does, more simply appear.

Hardly the great evil and injustice I was promised. He mutters quietly.

After helping finish loading the crates (gingerly carrying the smallest ones, one at a time, wincing with pain all the while), he finds a spot on a wagon and pulls out a small, tattered book. It is worn with time and frequent use.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
F Human Champion/3

Good to go!

Kyrie finally lets her guard down at the news that the gang would not be bothering them again. She takes a seat near Cai Fen, seeing he has a book. "I would like to know who promised you great evil and injustice. I would also like to know what you are reading. I read a lot."


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Oho! A fellow reader?

Cai Fen carefully places a bookmark between two pages lined with small Tien characters, which seem to run vertically down the page.

This novel has much greatness! I have read it many times, as you can see. “The Grand Adventures of Punch Master Shin,” volume 25 of 80. Unfortunately, bringing the whole collection was prohibitive, but this volume is my favorite by far.

In this story, Punch Master Shin confronts the dreaded necromancer Si Ling, who kidnaps his twin sister, who, in the last volume was revealed to be an aspect of the goddess Shizuru, to steal her power……
…to rescue her Shin must gather his friends, including the Drunken Master Bo……
…end up imprisoned and have to break out but…
...all part of Si Ling’s evil master plan……
…Shin fights the beautiful assassin sent by Si Ling but is betrayed…
...Bo lays down his life so that the companions can continue…
…travel to the mysterious temple to acquire the scroll of the ultimate fighting technique (which is different than the ultimate fighting technique Shin discovered in the last volume)….
….again all part of Si Ling’s evil master plan…
…but Kick Expert Huaweng, Shin’s childhood friend and rival is tempted by the darkness, so they fight…
…but then, the Vile Five attack!...
…searching out Si Ling’s phylactery, the group manage to destroy it, but that was all part of Si Ling’s evil master plan…
…Shin and Huaweng team up and use Jagged Tornado Strike to defeat the final member of the Vile Five….
…trapped in an extradimensional space, Shin escapes by punching it really hard…
…Shin is defeated by Si Ling, for the fourth time, but Shin’s sister sacrifices her life so he can read the scroll containing the ultimate fighting technique and use the One True Punch to defeat Si Ling and destroy him forever (although he returns as a minor villain in volume 57)…
…but then she is reincarnated because…

And they all learned valuable life lessons.

Anyway, what kinds of books do you like?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
F Human Champion/3

Kyrie listens the entire time, quietly and politely, giving Cai her full attention. A story is a gift, and you should always accept gifts graciously, regardless of how much you wanted them. Or if it is something you already have.

"I think the series' quality drops off after 30 and does not pick back up until 67, and while it never returns to the heights of its former mastery of the waves of tension and release that action adventure stories rely so much upon, the treatment of women characters does significantly improve, as they move beyond the typical tropes of "love interest," "femme fatale," and "sacrificial lamb" into fully realized characters with their own agency. In those final volumes, the series reaches its apotheosis as not only the standard for action-adventure stories, but also an example of how a series can mature over 80 volumes. That it created an entire new literary form--the serialized action epic--cannot be understated either, even if critics often deride it out-of-hand as populist and junk food."

Cai Fen is the first to discover exactly how to get Kyrie talking. Most of her practice interacting with people like an actual human being came from her conversations with Beirivelle, which were almost always about literature.

"I read everything I can find. I like mysteries and horror the best. The Drowned Girl by Katrin Erkurning is my favorite book."


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

1/3

You safely get out of Elidir, and the days go by as the caravan meanders South. The roads are generally safe, allowing you to read in peace and enjoy the scenery.

The gregarious brothers Olf and Ulf prove to be pranksters, frequently dressing alike to confuse people as to who's who — and trying to get out of chores. The neer-do-wells love dicing in the evenings, and sipping from their "secret" stash of Varisian rum (both Bort and Tamli know about it, but choose to ignore the drinking so long as neither brother is too hung over in the morning).

Tamli is inoculated to the brothers' tricks. She's kind to the beasts of burden, but stern with all the other members of the caravan except Bort. She can sometimes be seen looking to the North in a kind of reverie, stroking the lock of hair she keeps on a leather cord around her neck.

Like Tamli, Glunda Grapeleaf is more comfortable around the animals, even sleeping and eating near them instead of gathering around the fire with the rest of you. She takes a shine to Marula and Tila; the leshy learns that the shy druid feels calling to wander the wilds of the world.

Cooky (or "Cocky" as the brothers call him behind his back, on account of the fact he's always tilting his head to the side to compensate for his missing ear), sits near his dangerously large bed of coals (or sometimes, whole logs), smoking his pipe and watching his stews simmer. They are certainly the best slow-cooked meals you've never had. Cooky seems not to hear anything he doesn't agree with, but when it comes to complimenting his work he catches even the faintest whisper.

Bort is the glue that holds this band together: every night his crew indulges him in his outrageous tales. The brothers mercilessly prank everyone but him. He seems to comfort Tamli in her difficult and private moments of secret sadness. He goes out of his way to encourage a sense of newness for Glunda. He sometimes refers to the old Cooky as "Starlight," as if they're friends from another lifetime.


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

2/3

Days later, you enter a part of Isger that's sparsely populated, consisting of small rural farms and isolated communities. It is a temperate land, with frequent light rains and the rich smell of damp earth wafting on the pleasant breeze. The trail winds its way through the lowlands, passing along streams and through small forests. The game in this area has only recently recovered after years of war drove it into hiding.

As you break camp this morning, Bort announces that you'll arrive at the town of Etran’s Folly by nightfall. He promises a comfortable bed for the night as a reward for a long day’s travel.

Olf and Ulf roll their eyes at this, muttering about how there are no soft beds in "Plaguestone." Tamli gives them a look, and they wander off to do the dishes.

Bort watches the brothers slouch away, and explains: Hah! Comfort's a relative thing, if you ask me! Hard beds're softer than wagons, to Old Bort's thinkin'. Etran’s folly, the town we're goin' to, was hit by a plague years ago. Nearly snuffed all them townsfolk off the face of Avistan. It's safe now, and been a long time. You'll see why we call it Plaguestone when we get there — but don't be so rude as to call it that in front of the locals! He wanders off for a second helping of Cooky's breakfast stew.


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

3/3

You near Plaguestone in the early afternoon. The wagon bounces and creaks along the uneven trail.

Up ahead's Plaguestone, Bort shouts from the front of the wagon. No sooner does the call fade from his lips than it is overshadowed by a series of long, mournful howls emanating from the woods to either side of the caravan. Moments later, you hear cries of panic as a pack of mangy wolves descends from the forest with teeth bared!

A dozen wolves spring from the forest, attacking the caravan! Bort, Tamli, and the brothers draw their weapons, prepared to defend their wagons. Cooky dumps out the leftover stew and shovels coals into his red-hot dutch oven. You likely stand and draw weapons when the wolves howl.

Guard your wagon, shouts Bort, we got it up here! Three wolves stalk from the undergrowth, approaching your wagon. You hear snarls and the clash of weapons ahead…

Spoiler:

Cai Fen, Athletics: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
G’nak, Avoid notice: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Guyzer, Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Kyrie, Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Marula, Searching: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

Whose a good boy!? 1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Whose a good girl!? 2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Whose a good boy!? 3: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

One of the wolves gets a drop on you and runs to the back of the wagon, snapping at G'nak! As the creature flails, the hobgoblin sees it's covered in fleas.

Bite, Strike 1: 1d20 ⇒ 1
Bite, Strike 2: 1d20 - 5 ⇒ (2) - 5 = -3

The wagon's cover has been removed today, because it's very nice out. These flea-bitten creatures are medium-sized and can easily reach you from the ground. It's an Action to get on/off the wagon.

Round One: Don't Call it Plaguestone!

Nature check as an action to Recall Knowledge about these dog-like beings. Bold may act:

Puppy Dog 1
Cai Fen
Puppy Dog 2
Marula
G’nak
Guyzer
Kyrie
Puppy Dog 3

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

Rolling athletics for initiative starts Cai Fen with Panache.

Unlike most of his companions, Cai Fen discards his weapon and pack as soon as he hears the howls. Leaping off the wagon, he attempts to roll past the wolf snapping at G’nak

Action 1 - get down from wagon.

Action2:

Pass Through, Acrobatics, Panache: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 6 + 1 = 20 Wolf is flat footed on success.

Action 3:
Seeing an opportunity, he uses the deadly Nap Time Hammer strike.

Finishing Strike, Strike 1, Unarmed, Nonlethal: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 201d4 + 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + (5, 4) + 3 = 16 potentially vs flat footed. Failure still deals the 2d6 damage.


Polygamodioecious | Notes | Druid 3 | Stats | HP 35/35 | AC 17 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +11| Perc: +11

Marula eyes the wolves, attempting to discern which of them leads the bunch.

Sense Motive action: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

They point to one of the wolves.

"When leaders falter,
Their pack may scamper away.
Even trees know this."

A few murmured Sylvan words and gestures later, sparks arc between the two closest wolves.

Electric Arc; Reflex DC 17 to reduce damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

The pooch falls to Kai's Nap Time Fist.

The second wolf darts in and chomps on Cai's arm!

Bite, Strike 1: 1d20 ⇒ 13
Bite, Strike 2: 1d20 - 5 ⇒ (14) - 5 = 9

Strike 1, piercing: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

As its teeth clamp down, fleas leap onto Cai's wrist and crawl around under his sleeve. He begins to itch uncontrollably. Please make a fort save, Cai.

Editing for Marula's post. Usually I roll saves first and foremost….
reflex, 2: 1d20 ⇒ 17
reflex, 3: 1d20 ⇒ 19

Each wolf leaps out of the worst of the arc, but fur sizzles in the air nonetheless.

Marula:
None of these are the leader. The Alpha is nearby…

Round One: Don't Call it Plaguestone!

Nature check as an action to Recall Knowledge about these dog-like beings.

Bold may act:

Cai Fen -3 HP; Fort save needed.
Puppy Dog 2 -3 HP
Marula
G’nak
Guyzer
Kyrie
Puppy Dog 3 -3 HP


F Human Champion/3

Kyrie rushes through her allies and jumps off the wagon, placing herself between the nearest wolf and the wagon. She raises her shield in anticipation of the wolf’s attack.

Action to get off cart, move, and raise shield


Polygamodioecious | Notes | Druid 3 | Stats | HP 35/35 | AC 17 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +11| Perc: +11

"Of course, their alpha
Hides behind, directs their fight.
No true leader, then."


NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

Previously...

G’nak takes advantage of a smooth stretch of road to pull out his alchemist kit and prepare batches of his daily reagents. Carefully and systematically he pours powders and liquids into vials, and then combines vials into flasks, recording his observations in his notebook all the while. He takes comfort in the routine and order, and finds satisfaction in the predictable and familiar outcomes he records.

He creates 3 flasks of lesser alchemist fire, and 3 lesser acid flasks, which he slides into the straps of his bandolier. He smiles to himself at the irony, that somehow he feels more comfortable with explosives strapped to his chest.

You can take the boy out of the smokehouse, but you can’t take the smokehouse out of the boy.

He saves one dose of reagent, in the event he needs to create something on the fly, but he doubts he’ll even need to use any of his creations today, as the trip has been so calm and uneventful. He expects his concoctions will spoil, as they have on all the previous days.


NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

Now...

When the wolves attack, G’nak’s military training takes over.

”Defend the wagon! Protect Plaguestone!”

Thinking quickly:

Occultism: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13 To understand if there is an occult reason these animals might attack Plaguestone.
Society: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19 To recall anything about Plaguestone

In one smooth motion he draws a flask of lesser alchemist fire from his chest and throws it, and as the flask passes briefly under his nose the world seems to slow down. G’nak takes in the savory sulfuric smell. His eyes lower, his lips smile, Leaves hang in the air behind him.

And then his arm is pinwheeling as he lobs the flask at the wolf (#2)!

Alchemist fire: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 4 +1 splash, +1 persistent fire


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

G'nak takes down the second wolf! The pelt smolders on the ground.

G'nak:
You can't think of any reason why wolves would be attacking the caravan, but Cookie's food sure smells good. You also remember that almost half of Etran’s Folly is empty; the town never fully recovered from the plague. No wonder there are beasts nearby.

Round One: Don't Call it Plaguestone!

Nature check as an action to Recall Knowledge about these dog-like beings.

Bold may act:

Cai Fen -3 HP; Fort save needed.
Puppy Dog 2
Marula
G’nak
Guyzer
Kyrie
Puppy Dog 3 -3 HP


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Oops — #2 is dead!

Round One: Don't Call it Plaguestone!

Nature check as an action to Recall Knowledge about these dog-like beings.

Bold may act:

Cai Fen -3 HP; Fort save needed.
Marula
G’nak
Guyzer
Kyrie
Puppy Dog 3 -3 HP


NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

G’nak snaps his fingers in realization.

”Of course, the food! They’re starving! Jettison the food and the wolves will leave us alone!”

Verdant Wheel

Male NG Elf Sorcerer Champion of Erastil | HP 24/24 | AC 20 | Class DC 19 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +7 | Perc: +5 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Pebble Potshot +9 1d4+4, Melee: Longsword +7 1d8+2 Active conditions: None

Guyzer calmly orients himself as his companions burst into action and talk. Striding forward he raise his free hand to reveal a smooth river that he then flicks at the wolf while uttering a word of power.

Pebble Potshot: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Pebble Damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Unfortunately Guyzer's pebble shot flies wide. Cooky screams something about damn whippersnappers after G'nak voices his suggestion. Funny how good his hearing is when it comes to anything cooking-related....

The third wolf sprints up to the person who threw the river stone at it, and attacks twice!

Bite, Strike 1: 1d20 ⇒ 11
Bite, Strike 2: 1d20 - 5 ⇒ (15) - 5 = 10
Stride, strike, strike

It whines in frustration, unable to connect!

----

In the forest a dark shape moves out of the shadow… a powerful wolf reveals herself. Bright yellow saliva drips from her maw when her tongue lolls out; each drop sizzles in the grass.

Seeing kin fallen in the hunt, she raises her wide snout to the sky and unleashes a mournful howl. The eerie cry echoes through the forest and is taken up by the dozen wolves attacking the caravan! Stride, 2-action howl.

Demoralize (Howl): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Reaction, Wolf 3: Demoralize (Howl): 1d20 + 8 - 4 ⇒ (4) + 8 - 4 = 8

All of you are frightened by the sound — less confident in an easy victory!

Round Two: Don't Call it Plaguestone!

Nature check as an action to Recall Knowledge about the Alpha.

Bold may act:

The Alpha
Cai Fen -3 HP; Fort save needed (at no penalty), Frightened 1
Marula Frightened 1
G’nak Frightened 2
Guyzer Frightened 2
Kyrie Frightened 1
Puppy Dog 3 -3 HP

Demoralize:
Demoralize

With a sudden shout, a well-timed taunt, or a cutting put-down, you can shake an enemy’s resolve. Choose a creature within 30 feet of you who you’re aware of. Attempt an Intimidation check against that target’s Will DC. If the target does not understand the language you are speaking, you’re not speaking a language, or they can’t hear you, you take a –4 circumstance penalty to the check. Regardless of your result, the target is temporarily immune to your attempts to Demoralize it for 10 minutes.

Critical Success The target becomes frightened 2.
Success The target becomes frightened 1.

If you have something that bolsters you against emotion effects, let me know on your turn or in Slack!

Frightened:
Frightened

You’re gripped by fear and struggle to control your nerves. The frightened condition always includes a value. You take a status penalty equal to this value to all your checks and DCs. Unless specified otherwise, at the end of each of your turns, the value of your frightened condition decreases by 1.

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

Itchy itchy fleas
Fortitude Save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Cai Fen picks up the wolf that he rendered unconscious
without weapons and pack, I can carry 7 bulk without encumbrance and have a 12 bulk limit

He then begins to swing it by the tail over his head faster and faster, and launches it at the closest wolf (#3).

Wolf Strike!, Frightened: 1d20 + 3 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 3 - 1 = 3

Hero point because I think this would be awesome if it works

Wolf Strike 2, mangy boogaloo!, Frightened: 1d20 + 3 - 1 ⇒ (4) + 3 - 1 = 6

Bummer.
Interact, interact, strike


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Cai is sick from the fleas. sickened 1, so it's gone at the end of your turn. So itchy!

A flea bites Cai in a paticularly sensitive place while he's spinning the wolf at maximum velocity. The creature flies off in an unexpected direction, sailing over the wagon and knocking Cooky's favorite dutch ovens over, directly into the bed of hot coals!

The old elf howls: My EYE-REEENS! NOT AGAIN! His cry is almost as haunting as the alpha wolf's howl. Stew spills out all over the ground — a few young wolves run over and begin hungrily lapping it up while the wolf Cai threw slinks away, embarrassed to have even been a part of this.

Round Two: Don't Call it Plaguestone!

Nature check as an action to Recall Knowledge about the Alpha.

Bold may act:

The Alpha
Cai Fen -3 HP
Marula Frightened 1
G’nak Frightened 2
Guyzer Frightened 2
Kyrie Frightened 1
Puppy Dog 3 -3 HP

Demoralize:
Demoralize

With a sudden shout, a well-timed taunt, or a cutting put-down, you can shake an enemy’s resolve. Choose a creature within 30 feet of you who you’re aware of. Attempt an Intimidation check against that target’s Will DC. If the target does not understand the language you are speaking, you’re not speaking a language, or they can’t hear you, you take a –4 circumstance penalty to the check. Regardless of your result, the target is temporarily immune to your attempts to Demoralize it for 10 minutes.

Critical Success The target becomes frightened 2.
Success The target becomes frightened 1.

If you have something that bolsters you against emotion effects, let me know on your turn or in Slack!

Frightened:
Frightened

You’re gripped by fear and struggle to control your nerves. The frightened condition always includes a value. You take a status penalty equal to this value to all your checks and DCs. Unless specified otherwise, at the end of each of your turns, the value of your frightened condition decreases by 1.


F Human Champion/3

Kyrie spies the alpha circling around towards the cart. She entrusts Guyzer to finish the pup, knowing she needs to be where her shield is most needed. She pushes through her fright and rushes over and bashes at the beast with her shield and then sets it to protect her against its inevitable counterattack.

Shield Bash (frightened 1): 1d20 + 7 - 1 ⇒ (8) + 7 - 1 = 14
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Move, attack, raise shield


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Kyrie can smell the creature's acidic saliva; it lends the air an astringent taste. The Alpha stands her ground against the shield bash! Miss

Round two: Don't Call it Plaguestone!

Nature check as an action to Recall Knowledge about the Aplha.

Bold may act:

The Alpha
Cai Fen -3 HP, has panache
Marula Frightened 1
G’nak Frightened 2
Guyzer Frightened 2
Kyrie
Puppy Dog 3 -3 HP


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Marula uses an Action to Recall Knowledge.

Spoiler:
Dice rolled and deleted.

Marula:
This is a caustic wolf. Her bite is acidic, and she can also belch forth a line of acid.


Polygamodioecious | Notes | Druid 3 | Stats | HP 35/35 | AC 17 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +11| Perc: +11

The leshy sizes up the alpha and offers,

"Ah, the packmaster.
Your tummy needs love and care.
Perhaps some lightning?"

Sparks fly between the wolves.

Reflex DC 16: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

"Beware its vomit.
Like a flytrap's acid sap,
It burns. It corrodes."


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Reflex, Wolf 3: 1d20 ⇒ 6
Reflex, Alpha: 1d20 ⇒ 12

The pup falls, but the alpha looks at Marula and bares its teeth, almost like a smile.

Round two: Don't Call it Plaguestone!
Bold may act:

The Alpha -2HP
Cai Fen -3 HP
Marula
G’nak Frightened 2
Guyzer Frightened 2
Kyrie


NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

With limited bombs, and being pretty frightened, G’nak hops out of the wagon and attempts to hide behind it, in case the wolf comes looking for a hobgoblin snack, or decides to vomit!

Hide: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (8) + 6 - 2 = 12


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Sounds like Taking Cover to me.

G'nak takes cover behind the wagon; he feels very secure there, even if the wolf can probably still see his feet next to the wagon wheel!

Round two: Don't Call it Plaguestone!

Nature check as an action to Recall Knowledge about these dog-like beings.

Bold may act:

The Alpha -2HP
Cai Fen -3 HP
Marula
G’nak Frightened 1, Greater Cover, Hidden
Guyzer Frightened 2
Kyrie

Verdant Wheel

Male NG Elf Sorcerer Champion of Erastil | HP 24/24 | AC 20 | Class DC 19 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +7 | Perc: +5 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Pebble Potshot +9 1d4+4, Melee: Longsword +7 1d8+2 Active conditions: None

Guyzer mental state might be shaken but pushes through. His hand flashes out while a rocky texture seems to take over his flesh. It is a brutal look for an otherwise easy going Guyzer.
Bloodline Magic: +1 Intimidate for one round

Another, larger stone shoots out from his palm. Earth power formed from his body!

Elemental Toss: 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (9) + 7 - 2 = 14
Elemental Dmg: 1d8 ⇒ 5

On Crit:
Additional Dmg: 1d8 ⇒ 5

The older elf's face shoots an ugly look towards the Alpha as he then strides forward into a flanking position.

Intimidating Glare: 1d20 + 7 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (13) + 7 + 1 - 2 = 19


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Guyzer misses with the stone, but gives the wolf his own alpha stare.

The wolf bites viciously at the one who dared cow her! She tears into flesh, while searing it with acid! Kyrie may use a reaction on this, I think.

Bite, strike 1: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19
piercing: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 doubled
acid: 1d4 ⇒ 1

She then coughs up a gout of acid, hitting Maryla and Kyrje! please make a basic reflex save.

Spoiler:
acid: 3d6 ⇒ (3, 6, 2) = 11

Round two: Don't Call it Plaguestone!
Bold may act:
The Alpha -2HP
Cai Fen -3HP
Marula Reflex save needed
G’nak Frightened 1, Greater Cover, Hidden
Guyzer -11 hp, Frightened 1
Kyrie Reflex save needed

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

Cai Fen has panache

Cai Fen shudders as he hears the distant clang of cooking implements and vehement cursing. Looks like it’s dry rations for dinner tonight.

He leaps forward, rapidly closing distance with the alpha.I think you are biting off more than you can chew!

As the wolf tears into Guyzer, Cai Fen runs in for the flank and executes Seismic Stomachache Shockwave Strike.

Confident Finish, Strike, Nonlethal: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 221d4 + 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + (3, 6) + 3 = 13 vs. flat footed. 2d6 damage on failure. Cai Fen loses panache
Stride, stride, strike


F Human Champion/3

Kyrie is annoyed at the wolf choosing to attack her ally over her, but she doesn’t show it. She remains calm and focused, especially now that the brief fright of the wolf’s howl has abated. With a flash of holy light, she targets a punishing strike on the offending wolf.

She will indeed use Retributive Strike as a reaction. Guyzer takes three less damage from the triggering attack, and Kyrie gets to make a free strike since she is in melee range of the triggering creature
Retributive Strike: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Kyrie is still unused to her paladin abilities and sadly misses miserably.

Reflex Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Her luck with the acid doesn’t fare much better. She is out of practice and was definitely not expecting a random acid blob.

Kyrie finally takes a moment to enter her fighting stance, wielding her shield with both hands as both weapon andshield.

Shield Bash: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Damage (everstand stance): 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
vs flatfooted because of flank with Cai Fen

Kyrie returns to her defensive posture, reseting her stance so her shield is raised once more. Her shield’s hardness is 2 more now because she is in Everstand Stance

Actions: enter stance, attack, raise shield


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Seismic Stomachache Shockwave Strike proves effective, even against a flat-footed alpha-wolf.

Kyrie's shield, smoldering with acid, slams into the wolf! She growls in frustration, her attention now fully focused on the Champion.

Round two: Don't Call it Plaguestone!
Bold may act:

The Alpha -7HP, -13 NL
Cai Fen -3HP, no panache
Marula Reflex save needed
G’nak Frightened 1, Greater Cover, Hidden
Guyzer -11 hp, Frightened 1
Kyrie -11 HP


NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

Not wanting to splash alchemist fire on his allies as they close ranks around the Alpha wolf, G’nak draws his morningstar and comes out of hiding.

”Such filthy beasts. Plaguestone has suffered so much. No wonder few townsfolk survive here.”

Draw, move, move


Polygamodioecious | Notes | Druid 3 | Stats | HP 35/35 | AC 17 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +11| Perc: +11

Reflex + Leshy superstition reaction: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 1 = 11

More sparks fly before Narula floats down to join the fray.

Electric Arc Reflex DC 17: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Reflex: 1d20 ⇒ 18

The wolf leaps out of the way, unhapmed. Crit success The leshy takes the full force of the acid as well.

Round two: Don't Call it Plaguestone!
Bold may act:

The Alpha -7HP, -13 NL
Cai Fen -3HP, no panache
Marula -11 HP
G’nak
Guyzer -11 hp, Frightened 1
Kyrie -11 HP

Verdant Wheel

Male NG Elf Sorcerer Champion of Erastil | HP 24/24 | AC 20 | Class DC 19 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +7 | Perc: +5 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Pebble Potshot +9 1d4+4, Melee: Longsword +7 1d8+2 Active conditions: None

Guyzer's rough look fades away as he forces himself to stay standing. His hand glows bright, jade green as benign energy from Erastil comes forth. As he touches his wound, the flesh mends quickly.

2 Action Heal: 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Before all the energy dissapates he sends some over to Kyrie with a quick tap to her shoulder.

1 Action Heal: 1d8 ⇒ 5


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Guyzer heals all of his wounds, and some of the Champion's.

The alpha wolf does not like this intimidating elf healing everyone! Her yellow eyes slide over to from Kyrie to Guyzer, and then she lashes out…

Bite, Strike 1: 1d20 ⇒ 3
Bite, Strike 2: 1d20 - 5 ⇒ (14) - 5 = 9
Piercing: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Acid: 1d4 ⇒ 1

Her teeth tear into his flesh! She keeps them clamped on Guyzer's leg and shakes her powerful head, knocking him prone! Strike (miss), Strike (hit), Knockdown. Guyzer's armor prevents some of this piercing damage.

Kyrie may have something to say about this damage…

Round two: Don't Call it Plaguestone!
Bold may act:

The Alpha -7HP, -13 NL
Cai Fen -3HP, no panache
Marula -11 HP
G’nak -9 HP
Guyzer -8 hp (or 5 if Kyrie retributive strikes), Prone
Kyrie -6 HP

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

As the wolf tries to savage Guyzer, Cai Fen attempts to roll around it.

Tumble Through, Acrobatics: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

...but is likely deterred by its snapping jaws.

Sensing an opportunity, he attempts to put the wolf into a headlock!

Grapple, Athletics, Attack 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13 vs fortitude DC

...then punches it straight in the snout.

Strike, Attack 2, Nonlethal: 1d20 + 6 - 5 ⇒ (11) + 6 - 5 = 12 vs flat footed
Damage: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5


1 person marked this as a favorite.
F Human Champion/3

Kyrie calls upon her holy powers once more to lend Guyzer some protection. Filled with righteous indignation, she unleashes a powerful blow on the wolf in retaliation, slamming it with the center of her shield as she presses it into the wolf with both hands.

”I will not let you hurt anyone else!”

Retributive Strike vs Flatfooted: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Damage (everstand stance): 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7x2 = 14

Uppercuts her shield into the wolf’s jaw.

Strike with Shield vs Flatfooted: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Damage (everstand stance): 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

And then slams the bottom edge into its neck.

Strike with Shield vs Flatfooted (iterative): 1d20 + 7 - 5 ⇒ (14) + 7 - 5 = 16
Damage (everstand stance): 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Should the wolf still stand, she resets her shield to protect herself once more.

Reaction, attack attack block


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Iomedae's ire, channeled through Kyrie, drops the Aplha! The other wolves silently turn and flee into the forest when their leader falls.

Out of combat.

Tamli and Bort saunter over. She holds a longsword and shield; Bort a dwarven hammer.

Bort looks at the she-wolf and shakes his head. He's reminded of that time he met a pair of twins who were raised by a wolf — one just like this one. When he met them, the brothers were shouting at each other from the tops of seven hills about a matter of urban planning. Then one brother killed the other when he jumped over a ditch. Turns out, wolfies don't knows how to teach good manners, or the propers way to disagree with other folk — even about things as borin' as where to put yer city walls…

Suddenly Tamli calls you over to Cooky's wagon, cutting the dwarf's tall tale short. She needs help: Cooky's horses panicked, pulling the wagon off the trail and into the deep mud. While the bed of coals didn't spill, the wagon is thoroughly stuck.

Cooky is polishing his dutch ovens and refuses to help (and pointedly cannot hear anything Cai says).

Olf and Ulf stumble over, groaning and moaning loudly. Olf is holding his stomach with both hands. Ulf is limping. Both of them fell terrible and would love to help but they were too injured while defending the wagon from the worst of the wolves' attack.

DC 26 Perception to Sense Motive or DC 15 Medicine (trained):
1d20 ⇒ 17
They sustained minor injuries but are hamming it up; they don't want to help push the wagon.

Looks like you'll need to get down in the mud and push the wagon out on your own. If you wish to help, please make an Athletics check!

Please take care of healing at this time; Tamli can provide each of you with one minor healing potion as well, if needed.


Polygamodioecious | Notes | Druid 3 | Stats | HP 35/35 | AC 17 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +11| Perc: +11

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Marula draws a fruit from their foliage and offers it to Guyzer. "This will help mend your wounds."

Goodberry healing: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

The leaves of their mane seem to drink in the sun, while the roots of their feet nestle into the dirt.

"May this earth nourish.
May the sun above sustain.
Sooth my injuries."

Heal 2 action: 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

They then look at their companions' damaged shields and such, setting to mend them while stronger folk work on the wagon.

I haven't figured out Craft repair rules yet, but if it's a thing...

Craft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Craft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

They're baffled by the way fauna-people craft things. Why don't they just grow it into the proper shape?


F Human Champion/3

Kyrie goes to Bort and asks for some healer’s tools to borrow. ”I will buy them from you when I have the money.”

She then goes to work finishing off healing the party.

Medicine vs DC 15: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Healing: 2d8 ⇒ (2, 5) = 7

Medicine vs DC 15: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Healing: 2d8 ⇒ (3, 5) = 8

Medicine vs DC 15: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Healing: 4d8 ⇒ (6, 4, 3, 6) = 19

”I hope everyone is okay now. I did not expect to get ambushed by an acid wolf.”

EDIT: forgot about the athletics check

Athletics: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

Two more medicine checks, in case anyone is still injured.

Medicine: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

Healing: 4d8 ⇒ (2, 1, 2, 2) = 7

Medicine: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

Healing: 2d8 ⇒ (2, 6) = 8

Cai Fen senses an aura of ominous doom radiating from Cooky. This man scares me more than any wolf .

His eyes pass over Ulf and Olf…

Medicine: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

Noticing their overall lack of injuries, he attempts to encourage them to help. It takes more than one to move a stuck wagon, unless you are thinking I am an oxen

Diplomacy: 1d20 ⇒ 7

Feeling the death glare bore into his back, Cai Fen stands alongside Kyrie and attempts to shift the cart.

Athletics: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

... and throws out his back immediately.


NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

G’nak prefers to work smarter, rather than harder. He sidles up to Tamli and surveys the situation of the wagon in the mud.

Engineering Lore: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

”Boss, what we need is a fulcrum, something to help counterbalance the weight. If we had something we could wedge under the wheels, like a giant shield maybe...

Since G’nak isn’t particularly athletic, I’m trying to contribute in a different way!


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Tamli snaps her fingers. Smart, G'nak. Olf! Ulf! Go drag that log over there for them!

The fulcrum helps, but the wagon is still stuck. Cai and Kyrie, despite their best efforts, are worn out from their efforts. fatugued

Verdant Wheel

Male NG Elf Sorcerer Champion of Erastil | HP 24/24 | AC 20 | Class DC 19 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +7 | Perc: +5 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Pebble Potshot +9 1d4+4, Melee: Longsword +7 1d8+2 Active conditions: None

After being healed up Guyzer proceeds to lend a hand.

Athletics: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Guyzer's legs give out and he slips in the mud. Guyzer is also fatigued.

Ulf and Olf, wrapped in soft blankets and sitting atop a nearby wagon a nearby wagon, eat their warm stew and loudly proclaim their sadness at being unable to assist you. If only we could help! cries Ulf when Guyzer slips. Vengeful Cooky has forbidden me from sharing any warm stew with Cai, otherwise I'd share the last of it laments Olf as he shoves the last savory spoonful into his mouth.

Curse the flea-bitten mutt who clawed my stomach, wails Olf; a pox on the depraved cub who gnawed my leg! says Ulf.

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

Cai Fen mans the fulcrum and puts his back into it (trying hard not to scream in agony), attempting to shift the cart.

Athletics, Argh my back!: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19


Polygamodioecious | Notes | Druid 3 | Stats | HP 35/35 | AC 17 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +11| Perc: +11

Marula takes up the fulcrum, speaking to the wheels of the wagon as they do so.

"Axel turn, turn, turn.
The tree shed you 'won the ground,
That you may turn, turn."

Athletics: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19

51 to 100 of 1,049 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Doug's The Fall of Plaguestone All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.